May 20, 2013

OvP: Keller Chryst

Filed under: Coaches,Football,Players,Recruiting — Justin @ 2:47 pm

If there’s one thing anyone who follows Pitt will notice, it’s that there are two dueling factions: optimists and pessimists. There are some, like myself, who look for the silver lining and inevitably take too long to see a problem. Then there are the pessimists who see the faults in everything and given Pitt’s recent history, end up right more often than not. While an optimist, I can’t argue that the pessimistic side of Pitt fans has sadly been correct a lot lately. This inspired me to create a new weekly column here on Pitt Blather. It’s called OvP: Optimist vs. Pessimist.

Today’s subject is Keller Chryst. For those who aren’t aware, Keller is one of the top QB recruits in the 2014 class and the son of Geep Chryst, Paul’s brother. Keller has consistently listed Pitt as one of his top 2 or 3 schools and the interest appears to be legitimate. Even with the family connection, if Pitt lands Keller it will be a huge addition and give the program a ton of positive publicity. The addition of Keller will enable the staff to recruit much more effectively with a top QB prospect on the way.

But is Keller sincerely interested or is he just helping his Uncle out by listing Pitt as an option?

The Optimist: Keller is legitimately interested in Pitt and the main reason is that Keller and Geep trust in Paul’s ability to develop Keller into a top flight QB. If Keller has aspirations of starting for 2 or 3 years and playing at a high level, a coach who can develop his skill set is vital. Paul has shown a tremendous ability to develop QBs in the past. Scott Tolzien is an NFL backup thanks to Paul. Russell Wilson was NFL ready from day 1 because of the growth he achieved in his 1 year at Wisconsin. Last year’s QB who shall not be named improved dramatically from the previous year. If Tom Savage has a great year, it’ll show what Paul can do with a highly talented QB.

If Paul is a QB guru then Keller would be doing himself a disservice if he went to a school that does not have a coach capable of developing QBs, like Lane Kiffin at USC.  With the family ties, a coach capable of developing QBs and a program on the upswing, Keller is very interested in playing for his uncle.

The Pessimist: Keller is only paying lip service to Pitt to help his uncle out. If your nephew is a top prospect and he spurns you early in the recruiting process what does that say to other recruits? If your own nephew isn’t interested, why should anyone else be, especially a QB? Keller is only interested in a program that is a proven contender, like Stanford or Alabama. The allure of USC is also quite tempting. Pitt is just not good enough for a player of Keller’s caliber. Keller is also concerned about the talent level of the players around him. The family is quite close and Keller wants to help his uncle out as much as possible without actually playing for Pitt.

Hopefully the tactic works and Pitt isn’t hurt much when Keller goes elsewhere. If Keller chooses Stanford over Pitt in a “close decision” he can save face due to the proximity of his dad (QB Coach of the 49ers) and Stanford’s undeniable value proposition. If he goes to USC or Bama, it’ll be a tougher sell, but at least Pitt was allegedly in it until the end, even if it was a façade. Paul can claim they were close to recruits and that it had nothing to do with Pitt as a program. If the truth comes out, that Keller only called Pitt an option to help his uncle, the fallout would be ugly.

Who is correct: the optimist of the pessimist? There’s only one way we’ll know for certain: if Keller chooses Pitt. If Keller goes elsewhere, we’ll never truly know if he was interested or not. All of the reports indicate that the interest is legitimate, but the pessimist could be correct that Keller is just being nice to his Uncle by pretending to be interested. So, what say you, Pitt fans? Is Keller actually interested in Pitt or is he pretending for a little while so he doesn’t hurt his uncle’s recruiting?

Justin – Giving Chryst all the credit for Russell Wilson is a little much don’t you think…He played 3 years and scored 76 TD’s at NC State. I’m not buying Keller…..He has Stanford written all over him. Andrew Luck???? No offense to Pittsburgh but would you rather play at Stanford, USC or Pitt? Good Article!

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.20.13 @ 2:57 pm

A slow day at the office, eh Justin?? Well, it’s better than reading about who gets more bucks than someone else or who has been charged with indulging in drugs. Rev. George from Columbus

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 05.20.13 @ 3:01 pm

I won’t speculate on whether or not he’s legitimately interested in Pitt. But my gut says he’s not coming the whole way across the country to Pitt.

Comment by JJ 05.20.13 @ 3:07 pm

Upittbaseball: Hence the optimist. Obviously you fall on the latter portion of the column. Something to keep in mind though, Andrew Luck’s HC and OC are now gone. Harbaugh recruited and developed him along with Pep Hamilton, now Indy’s OC (reunited with Luck).

Rev George: I did this mainly because I’ve been criticized for being too optimistic, which is a fair statement. With a lot of stories, there’s an optimistic spin and a pessimistic spin. This enables us to discuss whether things like players, recruits, coaches, etc. should be viewed with hope or trepidation.

Also note, even the optimist in me cannot say Keller is coming to Pitt.

Comment by Justin 05.20.13 @ 3:08 pm

The pessimist will say that keller is taking a chance coming to Pitt considering the quality of offensive linemen that has been playing here in the last couple of years.

The optimist will look at HCPC’s history of developing OL, not to mention potential talent like Bisnowaty and Johnson.

Comment by wbb 05.20.13 @ 3:29 pm

Luck played under David Shaw who went 11-2 with a Freshman QB in 2012. I am in negative camp as long as Steve Pederson is involved. He is a cancer.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.20.13 @ 3:34 pm

*Luck Played under David Shaw his Senior Year I meant…

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.20.13 @ 3:36 pm

The pessismist will look at the latest Rivals 100 list and see that nobody on PA is represented link to rivals.yahoo.com

The optimist will say that these ratings are overrated and that Chryst does very well with 2 and 3 stars

Comment by wbb 05.20.13 @ 3:38 pm

I think a bit of both.

Based on past experiences, Keller will choose Pitt. However, the summer before he is about to start fall camp, he shakes a baby while drunk outside a In and Out Burger and is kicked off the team. He is then picked up by Arizona State. Paul then leaves for the NFL and Pitt takes another shot at gun slinging loud mouth head coach and again forces a fundamental shift in the type of players needed for the offense. Wanny misses the cut at the head coaching job, but again is hired in the athletic department. We are rebuilding FB again. Steve Peterson is given a raise and promotion to Superior Executive Athletic Director and announces that the department will be paying for renovations to Heinz Field to make it a more college atmosphere – mainly the addition of blue seats and bigger ketchup bottles over the screen. The rights to the Pitt Script are sold to WVU for $350 to raise money for THON.

And there you have it. The most offensive post on this blather ever.

Comment by Benzene 05.20.13 @ 3:41 pm

What a perfect weekly article.

Well done.

Comment by yup 05.20.13 @ 3:46 pm

Stanford is hard to say no to with Luck, Elway and Plunkett as QB’s who av played there. The education and the proximity may be just to many factors in Stanford’s favor. I do think he is considering Pitt and only HCPC as coach and uncle is the reason. I think Stanford had their day in the sun with Luck and will be a good to very good program, but no real bell ringer.

Comment by chethejet 05.20.13 @ 3:56 pm

Benzene – Superior Executive AD. Don’t give that moron any ideas. LOL

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.20.13 @ 3:56 pm

Benzene, you forgot to mention Tino was granted 100 years of eligibility and sanctions put on the program due to the amount of player arrests forces us to keep Tino as the starter indefinitely.

And I’ve given myself nightmares.

Comment by Justin 05.20.13 @ 4:28 pm

He is a west cost kid palm trees and sun shine
he is not comeing to pitt uncle or not .

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.20.13 @ 5:05 pm

Great article, an excellent question, and you have laid the groundwork for some very stimulating debate in the future.

I would suggest though, that you have left out the other corner of the equilateral triangle.

That would be the realists. Many times, pessimists and optimists do not care for the realists opinions, and yet, other times they run too them for reassurance.

Hence, why my opinions of Pitt football and basketball differ slightly the past two years or so, allthough I love them equally and have no agenda.

I’ve been called an optimist “why do you give credit to Chryst, his recruiting stinks and he made some horrible gameday calls in his first year?” (I believe every coach gets a few years to prove himself).

I’ve been called a pessimist “why do you get on Dixon, he’s had 10 years of great basketball in the past?”. (Yes, great guy, has brought great hoops here, but silly to deny that the past two years performances haven’t been a little rocky).

So, I stand up for the realists on this board, we get bombed as optimists, and pessimists, when really, we are just posting what we see and have seen.

KELLER CHRYST: A top quarterback, who lives on the west coast. Has offers from every college titan their is, including the top powerhouses not far from where he lives. Was he close to his uncle growing up, does he have any other family on the east coast, any friends coming to school back east? I don’t know that. That would be good info to know.

So, a realist would say, wow, it would be nice if he came here, we hold out hope, but, more than likely, he will not be coming.

Not being pessimistic one iota.

And, we are happy to be proven wrong if the end result is good for Pitt!!!

Comment by Dan 05.20.13 @ 5:27 pm

Dan i put my self in the same camp as you i am a
realist .

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.20.13 @ 5:44 pm

Poll Questions:

1) In Dec 2009, when Pitt went out to a 31 to 10 lead in 2nd quarter and Gillyard returned the ensuing kickoff for a TD … who thought that was the beginning of the end?

2) In March 2011, with Pitt down by one to Butler and Brown was fouled at half court with a couple seconds left … who thought he would sink 2 free throws and Pitt would win?

Comment by wbb 05.20.13 @ 5:48 pm

Dan:

I thought about adding a realist or “middle ground” as well and I’m thankful you recommended it. I do have a problem with being wordy at times and taking too long to make my point so I decided against it. If you guys think that’ll round it out more, I’d be more than happy to add it to next week’s topic.

Comment by Justin 05.20.13 @ 6:17 pm

******************+
Justin…..30 years of pain results in
pessimism. However I am with you and
remain faithful, supportive, and optimistic
in the face of adversity. Not in my
make up to be cynical. Keller has no reason
to lie and like all heavily recruited kids
we won’t know until signing day. Keep
the positive vibe going!

Comment by JR 05.20.13 @ 6:25 pm

Thanks JR!

Comment by Justin 05.20.13 @ 6:28 pm

Factors against Pitt for Keller – sun, west coast home, Stanford, dad, etc.

Factors for Pitt – uncle.

Comment by Frank MD 05.20.13 @ 6:33 pm

I consider myself a realist.

Keller Chryst is Stanford to lose. Keep in mind, Geep is a QB coach and doing a heck of a job a 49’ers. Therefore, staying near home will enable Geep to coach his son.

To say Paul Chryst developed or made Russel Wilson is laughable. Also the reason Tolzein may be a backup is because Paul recommended him to his brother Geep. I would say Geep is by far the better QB coach than Paul.

The only way Keller Chryst goes to some team other than Stanford is because it is a package deal and Geep will be hired as the QB coach to coach his son. That will be the wildcard.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.20.13 @ 6:51 pm

Pitt.Dan: NFL QB coach is light years ahead of college QB coach in terms of pay and importance. I would say college OC isn’t even as important as NFL QB coach. I’ve never seen a successful NFL QB coach go to a college OC position.

You can go from NFL QB coach to NFL Head Coach. That’s what Andy Reid did and outside of never winning a Super Bowl, he’s had a great run as a HC. Geep will be a strong candidate for an NFL OC position in 2014, especially if either of SF’s current coordinators get a head coach gig.

Comment by Justin 05.20.13 @ 7:02 pm

believe Cignetti was an NFL QB coach before he came here. There are no set rules of heirarchy but the facts are the 49ers are successful and their QBs have been pretty successful the past 2 years. Would think that Geep will have options

Comment by wbb 05.20.13 @ 7:15 pm

link to en.wikipedia.org.

Cigs was Cal’s OC before he came to us. Then he went to Rutgers to be OC, then to St. Louis to be QB coach. That seems to lean strongly towards my point that NFL QB Coach is even above college OC.

Comment by Justin 05.20.13 @ 7:43 pm

Anybody that reads this blog knows that I’m the eternal Pitt football optimist, but if Keller Chryst ever signs a LOI to Pitt I will literally $hit my drawers, but then I would proudly stroll around in them the rest of the day, basking in the glory of our good fortune. In other words, NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN, but would be a fantastic get if it did.

Comment by Dr. Tom 05.20.13 @ 7:45 pm

Naw Justin, keep it simple. I guess I saw an oppurtunity to express one of my pet peeves.

Getting called out as being too positve or too negative over one, or a series of comments, when that person has not seen, payed attention too or is too new to know how you’ve commented before.

Good example, I’ve had Dixon’s back for years. Posted after the ND game and the early exit in the tourney, might need to step up the recruiting and tweek the offense some.

Immediately, as many others did also, got blasted with “you just hate Dixon” by one or two posters.

Excuse me, have you read the other 40 positive comments about Dixon i’ve made over the past years?? LOL

No biggie, keep it simple, for yourself.

Comment by dan 05.20.13 @ 7:47 pm

Justin, Cignetti was QB coah for Saints in 2000-1 and for 49ers in 07

link to en.wikipedia.org

Comment by wbb 05.20.13 @ 7:51 pm

Does he want to go to a place where the earth shakes every 3 minutes or a place with solid ground.

Comment by alcofan 05.20.13 @ 7:52 pm

@Pitt.Dan83, that’s a hell of a thought.

The only other wild card, are they tight? I have one nephew who is one of my closet friends. Some others I see during the holidays. Love them all, but the one has always been my buddy.

Is that even possible with all of the moving around coaching family’s have to do???

Comment by dan 05.20.13 @ 7:52 pm

Dan,
When I said “package deal” of Geep and Keller is the wildcard, I Don’t think that it will be Stanford or Pitt.
However, some other team with a big budget that would offer a position at bigger bucks whether it be OC or QB coach to Geep in order to reel in Keller.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.20.13 @ 8:12 pm

Did not get past the first sentence. There are Pitt optimists?

Comment by John In South Carolina 05.20.13 @ 8:13 pm

Last night the Pens have a 1-0 lead, a man advantage and 1 minute to go. Who thought they would lose? Optimist. no way/ Pessimist/possible

Realist- thought what the hell is our goal scoring unit doing on the ice, we don’t need a goal, just defense.

WBB – Great test. Once Gilliard returned the kick, I thought we were in deep trouble.

No way did I ever think Brown would make both shots.

Realist – Stevie P will be with us forever!

Comment by Dan 72 05.20.13 @ 8:19 pm

I’m an optimist and believe we have a great chance. BTW, did we really need this article for you to see that UPitt is a pessimist? Come on, I’m sure that has got to be disappointing to him.

Comment by panther94 05.20.13 @ 8:24 pm

If he was not interested, the easiest way out would have been to say early that Pitt was not in the discussion because of geography or whatever reason he could come up with, of which there are many that don’t reflect poorly on Pitt. The fact that he indicates Pitt is in the mix to me says it is genuine.
We may not end up getting him, but I doubt he’d create ANY set of expectations if he did not at least have some interest. I go with the optimist on this one.

Comment by Mark 05.20.13 @ 8:25 pm

wbb: my point is that an NFL QB coach would not voluntarily leave his job to be a college OC. A coach may hold both positions over time. In 2007 when he was with the 49ers, the OC (Jim Haslett) was fired and replaced with Mike Martz, who wanted to bring in his own QB coach.

I do not know what happened in 2001 with the Saints.

Comment by Justin 05.20.13 @ 8:29 pm

Justin, I’m pretty sure HCPC wsa offered 2 NFL QB coaching jobs. Once was Dallas, don’t remember the other. He turned them down, I think he may have turned Jerry Jones down more than once.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 05.20.13 @ 8:44 pm

Panther94. Was getting really excited about baseball till they lost to Kent State and then were manhandled by Louisville and swept. If they don’t win the big East Tourney, lack of pitching they won’t get a invite to a regional. Hope you are well man.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.20.13 @ 8:47 pm

I recall that rumor as well, but who seriously wants to work for Jerry Jones? Dallas is where coaches have gone to die since Barry Switzer.

Comment by Justin 05.20.13 @ 8:48 pm

UPitt, same here man. But, you know me…I still think it has been a good year and there’s still hope. Take care, my doppleganger. :-)

HTP!

Comment by panther94 05.20.13 @ 10:21 pm

I was among three people on a committee to hire a new head coach for San Jose State University. We hired Jack Elway who had a son who was the top high school quarterback. Jack said I will not recruit my son because he wants to play for me. In the background Stanford was recruiting John’s mother. John went to Stanford, Jack beat John and Stanford 2 out of 3 years.

John said for many years, my biggest mistake was not playing for my Dad. John repeated that often.

Coach go full speed ahead and try to recruit your nephew. Good luck to you.

Comment by Russell Schreck 05.20.13 @ 11:07 pm

Justin – please don’t tailor your writing according to what anonymous posters think of your writing style – you’ll be best served with just expressing your own thoughts and opinions. That is what The Blather is a great forum for.

That said, I like this post as a conversation starter.

Personally, I see no attraction for a top shelf QB to want to play football at PITT. We’ve not been a fertile place for them and even when we do land a highly ranked HS QB they have underperformed here.

If we were courting Joe Blowinski from Facelift, NJ and his college choices were UCONN, Rutgers or PITT then we may have a shot. However, we are going head to head against Stanford, USC and Alabama.

Also, take a look at just who has offered him. He is clearly the nation’s #1 QB yet only four schools have offered him. PITT, Alabama, Stanford and USC.

Normally that would be somewhat of a red light going on but in this case it is every other school, who would kill to have him on the roster, isn’t wasn’t their time or money going after a kid who so obviously is either staying on the west coast or playing for the perennial national champs in Alabama.

Guys, we couldn’t hold onto a local blue chip WR who had PITT at the top of his list forever once Nick Saban sat down in Foster’s living room.

One last thing. I think it is telling that no ‘established’ media writers are really even discussing the possibility of this happening except for maybe a mention in passing. Indeed, some beat writers are pretty set in their thinking that it will never happen.

Few things shock me when it comes to PITT football, so color me completely shocked if Keller Chryst chooses PITT in Feb ’14.

Comment by Reed 05.21.13 @ 3:47 am

^^^ …”isn’t wasting” their time or money…

Comment by Reed 05.21.13 @ 3:48 am

Reed — the only hole in your logic in this case is that Keller is Chryst’s nephew. That is the x-factor in the argument.

Comment by JCE 05.21.13 @ 7:09 am

Realist & Pessimist, and Realist & Optimist are not necessarily mutually exclusive terms. You can’t call yourself a Realist and absolve yourself of being one or the other terms as well.

Comment by JCE 05.21.13 @ 7:12 am

I wouldn’t want to go where my uncle is the coach. Do you really want that or winters for that matter? The kid if that good wouldn’t even consider Pitt. Would you in his situation? I wouldn’t. Nothing gainst us this has no chance it doesn’t even make sense..

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.21.13 @ 7:32 am

JCE, you are clearly an optimist.
So what Keller is Chryst’s nephew.

If I were Paul Chryst, I would be telling Keller.
– Go to a team that will give you exposure, good coaching, good offensive line, will go to BCS bowl and potential national championship game.
That’s not Pitt in the next 4 years.

Have you seen Keller’s film. He is rated the #1 QB in class of 2014. I saw that when he was a sophmore.
He has the potential to be a 1st round NFL draft pick. With that in mind and you are his uncle, would you really advise him to select Pitt?
I wouldn’t.

and the reason he doesn’t have a lot of offers is that most coaches feel they don’t have a shot at landing him so why waste the time.
Keller’s dad is QB coach… and what better personal training in the off-season than from Dad right down the road from Stanford.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.21.13 @ 8:07 am

Does he ski or snowboard? Inquiring minds want to know!

Comment by CompLit 05.21.13 @ 8:12 am

Complit – My bet is he surfs.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.21.13 @ 8:15 am

I’m a realist. Facts matter most to me. Only one QB gets to play and almost always gets 95% of the snaps.
You go where you think you can play and learn.
Pitt is just as good of an opportunity as Stanford in that regard. Luck’s dad was a college and NFL QB. That had nothing to do with Stanford.
Larry Fitz came a long way. Sal Genella.
Let’s follow the facts. Chance favors the prepared mind. The harder you work, the luckier you get.
We can succeed and we can fail. We have the recipe for both.

Comment by SFPitt 05.21.13 @ 8:44 am

I’m an optimist. Guilty.

“So what” is that you can’t predict the role family dynamics will play in one’s decision making. If it were my nephew, I would advise him to think hard about his choices, go where he felt most comfortable, and I will be here for any questions along the way — and not steer him in any particular direction whatsoever. Which if I were a betting man, I would say that is likely exactly what PC is doing.

Comment by JCE 05.21.13 @ 9:01 am

JCE,
“most comfortable”.
That is the most ridiculous term I’ve ever heard in recruiting and hear is mostly from kids or coaches that select Pitt.

Kids that select Alabama say things like, this will put me in the best position to take my game to the next level, to get to the NFL, I have to compete with the best players just to get playing time will make me a better player down the road, etc.

but, hey, at Pitt, I’m comfy cozy.
and what you said is Chryst’s approach to recruiting which is why he can’t land the big fish.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.21.13 @ 9:20 am

That is because you are a hardass and possibly a jackass too. You have your hard knocks approach. I have mine. Life is not black and white, and neither are decisions. As ridiculous as you think my response is, I think yours is equally so.

Comment by JCE 05.21.13 @ 9:48 am

Besides that we were not talking about what a coach would say to a recruit. We were talking about what an uncle would say to his nephew.

Comment by JCE 05.21.13 @ 9:50 am

JCE,
You are well aware, that is Chryst approach to recruiting whether it be some recruit or his nephew.

for numerous reasons.
and a good Uncle would point that out!! At least I would.

If Keller Chryst lived in Pittsburgh area, I would still say he should make his decision on what puts him in the best position to make the NFL. I said the same thing about Foster last year and I never thought Foster would go to Pitt nor would I recommend it.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.21.13 @ 10:09 am

“Is it really in Keller Chryst best interest to attend Pitt because his uncle is the HC?”

Never said this, nor did I even imply it.

I’m done. Bad uncle that I am. I can’t argue with someone who distorts the discourse to fit his point of view.

Comment by JCE 05.21.13 @ 10:16 am

No, they’re not mutually exclusive terms. Being a realist will lead you to have an optimistic or pessimistic view on individual subjects. Of course.

They, however, are three different ways people view things. One is not better than the other, we’re all different, and views intertwine certainly. There are others views also.

These three do go together well, to make up different corners of a triangle.

Also, people should not make the mistake of thinking realist people are “middle of the roaders”. Not the case at all.

Comment by Dan 05.21.13 @ 10:20 am

I’m betting KC is a good and loyal member of the Chryst family and is genuinely thinking about coming to play for his uncle who, despite all the pessimists on the site who disagree, has shown himself to be an accomplished college football offensive mind.
However, as long as KC picks USC/Stanford on the West Coast instead of Pitt, then I don’t think it will negatively reflect on PC’s recruiting efforts as geography and proximity to family and friends is always a legitimate reason to pick a school.
However, if KC picks Alabama then I think it will no longer be credible that he seriously considered Pitt.

Comment by Taxing Matters 05.21.13 @ 10:41 am

I would never wish summer away, but with this football talk lately, I’m already getting pumped for Labor Day Night against FSU!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 05.21.13 @ 10:58 am

New idea for 2013: I am bringing a white flag for each home game. When FSU is beating us 38-3 in the 3rd quarter, I will bring out the surrender bulletin. On one side spray painted will say, “Bring back Walt,” on the other side will say, “Down with Stevie P.” I’m a negative Nancy and the season hasn’t even started.

Comment by AJ 05.21.13 @ 11:48 am

@AJ, c’mon, I’m sure I’ve seen you post some good stuff and had some banter with you in the past!!

LOL

Some might say you’re being optimistic at 38-3!!!

LOL

Comment by Dan 05.21.13 @ 11:59 am

Dan,
I laugh so hard when I read your post.

But which is the optimistic number, the 38 or the 3.
lol

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.21.13 @ 12:02 pm

ha ha lol, ya, Dan, you’re right, hadn’t thought about that!!!

Comment by Dan 05.21.13 @ 1:15 pm

-Keller comes to Pitt.
-Is better than Marino.
-Pitt wins a national championship.
-Heinz field is filled every weekend.
-Paul Chryst signs a ten year extension.

…the Pitt Blather pessimists still want SP fired because Pitt stadium is gone and Pitt still has the block letters.

Comment by notrocketscience 05.21.13 @ 1:33 pm

5 of the 5 have ZERO chance of happening.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.21.13 @ 2:17 pm

HCPC might actually think he is the best coach for his nephew. He clearly is a bright offensive coach and has to have some belief in his ability to develop quarterbacks. His brother may very well agree. This would be why it is possible for Kellen to end up at Pitt, despite other drawbacks.

Comment by Crackbaldo 05.21.13 @ 2:20 pm

The Chryst family is in the football business. If Keller comes here, the whole family knows what they’re getting. If he goes elsewhere, everything goes out of their control (coaching changes, transfers, etc.). I believe that HCPC has a fairly long leash and would be pretty sure to be here as long as Keller is. That alone has to be an important factor. Add in that he has success developing quarterbacks and that puts Keller in a pretty good situation. If Keller commits, that will make it much easier to obtain guys he can throw to. He already has added a bunch of big guys up front. I hope that he’s part of the resurgence of this program in the next few years.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 05.21.13 @ 3:14 pm

AJ, I’ll show you what an optimist I am. Give me Pitt and 35 for the middle of the 3rd quarter

Comment by wbb 05.21.13 @ 3:19 pm

Reed, isn’t it more likely that Saban is more of a negative to the Chrysts? Simply, such an established coaching family does need to that sort of coach/program promote to promote their son in order for him to reach the NFL. Remember, Stanford was still coming out of their really dark Wlat era when Luck signed. The Luck family didn’t need an established, nationally recognized brand and coach to promote their son, and neither do the Chrysts. Losing a kid from Hopewell with no family NFL or high-level coaching ties couldn’t be less similar or have any less bearing on what happens with Keller’s recruitment…

Comment by Greg in New Orleans 05.21.13 @ 3:39 pm

On another note: whatever PC is, he is certainly NOT about to engage in pretentious behavior.
That makes the theory that his nephew is “helping out” his uncle highly unlikely. Almost laughable.

Comment by SFPitt 05.21.13 @ 4:51 pm

I can’t believe this is still a topic guys. Go to Stanford or USC and their national relevance and exposure. Then go to Bama. Lastly compare those to Pitt and playing in front of 35k.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.21.13 @ 6:12 pm

Upittbaseball are a realist!!!

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.21.13 @ 6:31 pm

Reed, I had heard when Breckterfield was hired that Chryst felt Pitt could do more with JC players coming mostly from the west. Have you ever heard this? And is there a different approach to recruiting the JC ranks?

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 05.21.13 @ 7:35 pm

link to 247sports.com

Living next to Stanford I’m sure his high school honey will push the hometown team. Plus Dear old Dad can watch him when playing home.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.21.13 @ 8:08 pm

I am a realist with a slight slant towards optimist and a touch of cynic. How is this for a Keller Chryst scenario. Keller keeps Pitt in his top three for the entirety of his recruitment, which would be a positive. At the end he chooses a west coast team. When pushed for a differentiating factor he says that the main reason he didn’t choose Pitt at the end is because his uncles contract would expire during his redshirt junior year and he just didn’t want to chance it.

With that, Steve Pederson gets a raise and a bonus. Okay, the cynic won this post. I actually think Keller would love to come to Pitt. If he is to do so, it is in his interest to commit sooner rather than later so that Pitt can use that to attract the best talent to surround him. If we land him, they will come.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 05.21.13 @ 10:03 pm

Good concept for a post. Well done.

Comment by Pittscript 05.22.13 @ 3:10 pm

Greg in NOLA – when you have a blue chip recruit like Keller Chryst the first and foremost issue for them is whether or not they will make it and be drafted by the NFL.

‘Bama just had three 1st round picks and nine total players drafted in the 2013 draft. Their 2012 draft wasn’t far behind.

PITT had how many players drafted in the last two years? I’ll refresh your memory – zip, zilch, zero, none.

We are getting way down into the weeds in looking at this Keller Chryst situation. The Chryst family is doing public relations work big time here. It would look like a total snub if they didn’t have PITT, with Uncle Paul, in the running. That would be an unnecessary embarrassment.

What will happen befor Feb 2014 is that K. Chryst will pick a school other than PITT and say something along the lines of “We considered PITT but felt that University XXX better suited our needs.”

Saban is a great football coach and IMO the overwhelming negative reaction to him and his winning ways is a large dose of sour grapes. There has been no evidence of wrongdoing on his part and HS players, and their parents, drool at the prospect of playing for him.

To think that somehow it would be beneath a Chryst to play for Saban is pretty far fetched and. I think, a romantic vision of a family we really know nothing about.

Comment by Reed 05.24.13 @ 6:43 am