May 19, 2013

Oh, so many choices.

Let’s get target one out of the way: Steve Pederson.

Fifth-highest paid was athletic director Steve Pederson. His total compensation of $844,008 included base pay of $500,161, bonus and incentive compensation of $283,333, other reportable compensation of $10,674, retirement and other deferred compensation of $35,525 and $14,315 in non-taxable benefits.

Now due to the quirk in the state  of public records (read: insane lobbying to keep as such; treatment of Temple, Lincoln, PSU and Pitt in terms of Pennsylvania open records laws), it isn’t the easiest thing to compare. Still, it is a good roughing tool thanks to the USA Today databases. The AD salary surveys has Pederson’s total compensation lower which is important. The USA Today survey is an excellent resource but it is hardly perfect.

The USA Today survey puts Pederson in the top-40.  But the tax reporting suggests closer to top-20. Now before you fly off the handle, please keep in mind that if the differential between what the USA Today survey found for Pederson versus what Pitt ultimately reported then it is safe to assume that there are some more discrepancies in the list. That said, we can safely assume his pay rate is somewhere in the top-30 for ADs.

I don’t have a particularly strong feeling with regards to Pederson. I’m not a big fan, but when put strictly in context of his performance post-Nebraska, I don’t particularly hate. Sorry I’m so mushy-middle but that’s where I am. That said, seeing where his compensation lands him nationally has to make even the biggest Pederson supporter say, WTF? I guess it helps to have that relationship with Chancellor Nordenberg.

The next issue is the headliner of the article, Jamie Dixon.

The 34 percent raise pushed Mr. Dixon’s total earnings above $2.4 million and is reflected in the latest federal IRS form 990 filed by the university. The document generally covers the fiscal year ending June 30, 2012, though pay information listed on it is for calendar year 2011 and is the most current available, officials said.

Mr. Dixon’s total compensation was listed on the 990 as $2,445,682. It included base pay of $1,350,020, bonus and incentive compensation of $925,862, other reportable compensation of $25,260, retirement and other deferred compensation of $129,400 and non-taxable benefits of $15,140.

His earnings the previous year totaled just over $1.8 million.

Now the bonus and incentive compensation is a huge this time around. Suggesting that Dixon hit some particular benchmarks — presumably in terms years of service and wins that pushed it higher. Again, while the USA Today database is very informative — broadly — it is not detailed accuracy and shouldn’t be treated as such. But no matter how you slice it, Jamie Dixon is among the top-20 coaches in terms of compensation.

This should not be surprising. Both in terms of accomplishments and the interest each year. The pursuit of Dixon from other schools has been a nearly annual event. It has driven his salary up as the interest has continued. You can question the value, be pissed at the system in place in college sports with coaching contracts. But I’m not going to fault Dixon and his agent for using the system to their benefit.

Also worth noting, that according to the USA Today database, Sean Miller took in over $2.5 million that same year. His base compensation listed at $2.1 million. A less than subtle reminder that it would take a lot of money to get Miller to leave Arizona.

One final thing.

The second-highest earner at Pitt last year was former head football coach Todd Graham at $1,982,793. His total compensation included base pay of $1,010,120, bonus and incentive compensation of $916,399, other reportable compensation of $18,619, retirement and other deferred compensation of $27,973 and non-taxable benefits of $9,682.

Aaaannnddd… turning once again to the USA Today databases.

Gee, um I vaguely recall a certain Fraud claiming he didn’t take any increase in pay to leave Pitt for his latest dream job. Oh, I know. Stunning that there is evidence of yet another lie.

Pitt’s return to prominence as a major D-1 football program will never be fully realized until a on-campus football stadium is constructed.

To credit Pederson for tearing down Pitt Stadium without a replacement plan is just plain foolish.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.20.13 @ 10:58 am

Wbb i dont know but sandi marcius the center
from purdue commited to SD STATE and he still has
summer school to do before he can transfer.
so maybe you can officaley commit to a school but not sign till you are done.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.20.13 @ 11:39 am

But if they passed on kane for someone else
who might or might not sign with them it is dumb
i say a bird in hand is better then two in the bush

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.20.13 @ 11:43 am

Tearing down or major renovation of Pitt stadium was the right move…not replacing it on campus was the wrong move (and I love Heinz Feild, but it is just lacks a certain something for college football games). As I recall, they had a $150M plan on the table to renovate and dome Pitt stadium as one of their choices…It was determined to be too expensive and would seat a lot less than Heinz Field. In the end, the $69M Pete wound up costing something like $129M for its 12,000 seats and we very rarely fill any more than 50,000 seats at Heinz. I’d bet if they had it to do over again, they would have spent the money and domed Pitt stadium. There you go, a “two for one” with BB and FB facility under one roof. Could have packed 20,000 to 25,000 fans in for big BB games, and had more atmosphere for FB games (even if only the ususal 40,0000 showed up). Could have hosted NCAA tournament games, concerts, conventions,etc., and made plenty of money for the University and the City.

Comment by HbgFrank 05.20.13 @ 11:52 am

Pitt’s return to football prominence has absolutley nothing to do with an on campus stadium. Pitt football declined to it’s lowest when it played at Pitt stadium.

Comment by notrocketscience 05.20.13 @ 12:06 pm

Win games and Heinz Field will be packed on Saturdays each fall, it’s that simple. Go 8-0 or 9-0 and by mid November a Pitt Football ticket will be the hottest ticket in tahn and Heinz Field will be rockin.

Comment by Panther Fan in Hoopieland 05.20.13 @ 12:56 pm

The more comments posted on the subject of where we play FB longterm, the greater the argument. Perhaps HbgFrank nailed it. 5, 10 heck 15 years in Heinz but here is our Plan B would’ve been what I’d like to hear. Now we are talking useful life of Heinz, wow time flies. I thought it was deemed inefficient to dome the old stadium (I may be mistaken). milk is out of the bottle – survey the land – up by trees/field house or down by Schenley Park, lets get her done. Me, I give money for the seats I want to sit in. period. I am under no delusion that at my modest contribution level for 4 decent seats to watch hoops that I have (or should have) any voice! h2p

Comment by ptbreezeb 05.20.13 @ 1:40 pm

from a selfish viewpoint, I would much prefer to watch (PItt) football in a compact (50k) bowl stadium. However, as stated above, I don’t believe it is a principle reason for4 a faltering program.

I’ve been on record for years that I believe this program needs stability. Since Sherill left, Pitt has had 8 head coaches in 30 years .. and I didn’t even count Haywood .. and of course, the last few years has been a travesty.

Playing in an area of declining population in an NFL city with a lack of consistent commitment from the adminsitration, of course, will alwasy be major factors.

Comment by wbb 05.20.13 @ 2:37 pm

any one on here can talk abought any thing they
want to i get that but the stadium is gone has been gone for a lot of years and it is not comeing back
for many years if at all.
but we keep beating this dead horse over and over.
and if that was all there was to talk abought that would be ok.

but we have a BB team that is 3 players short and might go to 4 short
a foot ball team that has one commit when penn state and outhers have 9 commits.
a baseball team that is haveing a really good season

a bb player who might be a top ten pick in the NBA DRAFT.

A BB coach who has a problem with players leaveing the team like rats leaveing a sinking ship
and geting new players to sign up.

and we talk aought a stadium that is dead and gone

i get it you can talk abought what you want
just saying .

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.20.13 @ 4:40 pm

As we all start to realistically plan a new on campus stadium ha ha (optimist)I have only one requirement. When the tradidional 6 – 8 Band oronet Players walk onto the field to play the flourish that leads the Pitt Band in, I would like to be able to hear it from every seat in the stadium! Then, I would like to be able to actually hear the Pitt Band without them being miked up….that’s all…

Comment by Dan 72 05.20.13 @ 4:56 pm

Simply put, Pitt will never get the same attendance/student involvement/atmosphere at Heinz as they would an on-campus stadium. The nature of college football pivots on involving otherwise oblivious or disinterested students to participate in an event that demands little effort. I’m not even trying to bag on Pitt for having an off campus games, I just think there’s only so much we can expect with this as our reality.

Comment by Cool Hand Nuke 05.20.13 @ 7:15 pm

Sorry Frank, but I think you are wrong. I’d bet there is plenty of talk about an on campus stadium in the halls of Pitt’s athletic department. Maybe the talk is for years from now, but it has to be happening. It is not about Heinz Field being full or not. It is about the fact that football is the money ball in college sports. Most,if not all serious college football programs have their own stadium on or near their campus. Pitt correctly decided that they were committed to being a top BB program and built a facility that proves it. If they are serious about being a top FB program, they will build a campus facility that proves it. I have been a FB season ticket holder for 18 years, I still miss going to the campus AS A PART OF the game day experience. I will guarantee you that I am not alone in that sentiment. This point was driven home to me this weekend while returning home from a trip to Virginia. I happened to get off of Interstate 81 at Harrisonburg, VA, home of the James Madison University Dukes. Just a short distance from the exit sat their beautiful on campus football stadium. It only seats 25K but it is there, making a statement that JMU is committed to the success of their FB program. I expect the same commitment from my alma mater. HTP.

Comment by HbgFrank 05.20.13 @ 8:56 pm

Oh sh*t.. No you didn’t, Rev:

“I’ve always tried to avoid conversations and comparisons about other people’s paychecks. It doesn’t solve anything and often leads to backbiting if not outright disputes.”
Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 05.19.13 @ 3:55 pm

No. Not “backbiting,” please.. And as if “backbiting” first and “disputes” secondary.

Geez..

Comment by Neil 05.20.13 @ 11:47 pm

TonyinHouston two major realities I have concerning Jamie is the a greater % of his wins, excluding NCAA have been against the annual soft on-tournament schedule 3 5 star recruits two leaving within a year because of their player time behind inferior players and being limited at emlopying their offensive skill [based on NBA combine not blogger who described Adams as a gangly clumsy guy who could not handle those great passes at this ankles from Woodall. Last Taylor misguided he would play the 4. Pitt did not recruit a 5 rather than transfer as fast as he could he gainded 20 pounds that reduced the potential he brought to Pitt and instead was scorned for being lazy (dragging an extra 20 pounds)and given the ugly nickname of “sleepy”

No more 5’s are comming to Pitt. With enough recuits like Robinson and Young and the week non conference schedule we can get to the NCAA.’ Last year was our only chance beyond the elite eight.
Changes, in my opinion, played 30 minutes or more a game with no resrictions on his offensive game -the game he showed to the NBA and Norlens Noels.
Beginning of the season have Taylor work to loss weight to play the 4 as Adams enforcer.
Woodall becomes 3 guard, certainly not team captain and leader. Robinson is floor leader boosts his finds and Zeigler, Moore, do nor transfer because of Dixon’s blantant favortism to the 9 best player on the team.

Comment by pittisit 05.23.13 @ 12:51 pm