May 21, 2013

Kane But Not Able

Filed under: Basketball,Recruiting,Transfer — Chas @ 6:03 am

Dammit, I’m going to shoe-horn in the bad puns while I still can.

The formality that was supposed to be DeAndre Kane’s transfer to Pitt for as a graduate transfer, now is not.

However, the 6-foot-4 guard, a Pittsburgh native, did not wind up pulling the trigger, whether it was due to the fact that Panthers coach Jamie Dixon was non-committal about taking him at the time, or whether Kane just wasn’t enamored with the visit.

Now Kane told CBSSports.com that he is still open, with both Pittsburgh still under consideration and Memphis also in pursuit.

From my own perspective, I’m not exactly broken up by the possibility that Kane may not be coming to Pitt.

The thing everyone wants to know is why. Did Kane not hear the sweet nothings of assurances of how much he will be featured? Was it that Dixon started to review what went down in Huntington, WV and get a little nervous. Did Memphis make a really strong push that made Kane reconsider? Some of this? All of this? None of this?

The one thing that doesn’t add up with Memphis are the minutes. Memphis has a deep and experienced backcourt in place for the upcoming season. Kane would not be a lock to average big minutes with the Tigers. Pitt has bodies in the backcourt but not a lot of experience. Especially with J.J. Moore’s ever-impending departure. Kane seems a lock to get more minutes at Pitt compared to Memphis. That is unless Pitt is the one that started having second thoughts about Kane rather than the other way around.

It is somewhat amusing that the first school he visited and rejected was USC. Now his top two choices are playing for two coaches that got nice salary raises and extensions from USC’s interest in Josh Pastner and Jamie Dixon. And the circle of life continues.

panther94 pitt still in the ball game for SG lacey
he is to come for a vist.
but even if we get him he has to sit out a year.
so no help this year.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.21.13 @ 9:09 pm

Still good news, although we do need the help next year.

Comment by panther94 05.21.13 @ 10:02 pm

X&Os, sure.. Got it

But, as I’m typically off topic these days.. (Wasn’t always the case case, incidentally.) Just wanted to ask @ ya, Chas:

Where’d the nice girl with thong go away to, anyway? Yeh, you know the one; beach bathing sl*t, black thong,.. the one I’m baited to @$!?&$@!!¿2 for money.. Her, yes, that one.

Who was the genius to pull that ad? Easy to market on a sports blog I should think. And it was a cheap thrill FCS..
C’mon, it’s the off-season.
HTP, of course .. Yeah

Comment by Neil 05.21.13 @ 10:03 pm

Specifically referencing advertisement gigs @ right column under Blather email address where now LEARCAPITAL stands. (For those blind to miss former said advertisement.)

Comment by Neil 05.21.13 @ 10:10 pm

@Neil, you don’t have to reference where it was on the blog. We all know exactly where it was!!!

LOL

Comment by dan 05.21.13 @ 10:17 pm

No kane, no pain. I personally do not think it is a good idea to bring in kane, even if he were able. Not good in the locker room. Coach Herrion will attest to this so Pitt should stand clear. Kane will take up minutes of a younger guard that needs minutes.

I do think we should go after the big man with everything we have. Glad to see the campus looking nice! Is steve p still our AD? He did great things for Nebraska. Also, someone commented that he was responsible for the Pete and for migrating Pitt to the ACC. The answer to both would be no, not really. These things happened in spite of him, not because of him.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 05.21.13 @ 10:30 pm

Dixon is on downward spiral and dragging the BB team with him. Not even a top 25 recruiting class is inexplicable when Kentucky signed 5 first team all-americans ! Players leaving in droves and even average players don’t want to come here because they don’t like Dixon !

Comment by Rocky20 05.21.13 @ 11:26 pm

@Rocky Balboa, Don’t even try to compare us to Kentucky. I mean, really? And if Dixon were on the downward spiral, how would he NOT be dragging the bb team down with him? Anyway, what evidence do you have? We had 1 bad year out of how many? 10 or 11. Who do you propose we get instead? If you’ve got the answers, maybe you should be coach. lol

Comment by panther94 05.21.13 @ 11:45 pm

Frankcan, Sometimes your posts are not to my liking ,but I don’t hate anyone including you. Although I agree that Dixon has had better success with the 3 star types than 5 stars I never agreed that he misused Adams so don’t stretch what I posted to support your position when it conflicts with I actually think. I take enough heat for my own wrong positions and certainly won’t need any help from you in adding to that number.

Comment by spiritofsection 22 05.22.13 @ 9:10 am

Rocky20, Kentucky signed several last year too, in fact most years. Then they didn’t make the NCAA and lost to Bobby Mo in the NIT. Maybe they are the one on a “downward spiral”, because Dixon did better than them. Where have you ever seen it reported that anyone didn’t like Dixon? He might have some faults but he is one of the most likable guys in sports and has an excellent record. Don’t mistake some transfers and projected recruiting classes as proof he won’t succeed. They still have to play the games and Dixon always wins his share. Your post is absurd.

Comment by spiritofsection 22 05.22.13 @ 10:36 am