January 16, 2013

Pitt Adds a DT from Hawaii

Filed under: Football,Recruiting — Chas @ 7:55 am

Frankly, I’m glad he’s committed just for this photo.

Photo copyright Pillars of Peace

The Dalai Lama visited Kailua High School to recognize the school for its programs on compassion, conflict resolution, and nonviolence. Naturally a kid who causes havoc as DT on the football team got to be on stage with him. My day is made.

Jerimiah Taleni is probably 6-2, 315 pounds (though ESPN.com puts him at 6-1, 340). He’s unranked by all recruiting sites except Rivals.com, which gives him 2-stars.

He had offers from Washington St., UMass and Nevada. I’m going to guess he is is something of a project. He’s the 25th overall recruit and counts as the 21st for the 2013 class.

Mike, I don’t know if you are, or you’re not, but you’re posts sound like and come off as though you are a teenager.

“that’s why Pitt never improves, too many dumb fans” Shakesperian!!!

You obviously don’t read the Pitt Blather that often, because most on here get criticized, including myself, for being too hard on the Pitt football, and Pitt basketball programs.

As for the staffs moves, I can’t say, lots to be seen, however, I think I’ll give them a small leg up on who they want, as opposed to marking your words.

Comment by Dan 01.16.13 @ 3:56 pm

I hope Alabama doesn’t find out the this Marvin guy before signing day. 🙂

Comment by Jackagain† 01.16.13 @ 3:57 pm

Fans are too dumb to question the moves they make???????????

If we lose to Villanova tonight, I’d suggest popping on and perusing all of the comments on here or a new post, after the game is over.

You’ll see all the questioning you’d like.

Comment by Dan 01.16.13 @ 4:01 pm

i will say this about the taleni commitment-i think pitt could have done better. i dont say that because i dont think well of taleni, but pitt could have used another 3 tech dt. Donald is the only true 3 tech on the team or in the 2013 recruiting class so darryl render really needs to take a step forward to provide productive relief minutes for ad

Comment by pk 01.16.13 @ 4:04 pm

Someone did some questioning.

Breaking news, story of the year, Notre Dame’s Manti T’eo, and winning one for his girlfriend after here death.

Apparently, no girlfriend died, apparently, there was no girl friend.

If this comes to be true, this dude needs to get to Mayview or one her sister hospitals somewhere.

If it’s true, very disturbing. Very disturbing.

Comment by Dan 01.16.13 @ 4:53 pm

Actually Mike I simply suggested that you stop posting “comments” that make you look like a jerk. However you seem intent on refining the image with additional posts.

You’re entitled to your opinion, Just be aware that per your request, that I have “marked your words”. Let’s see what Taleni is up to in a couple, three years and then we’ll see if you’re clairvoyant or not.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.16.13 @ 5:00 pm

@ Dan – Deadspin has an extensive article on it, well documented, so it looks like it was an elaborate hoax .. the fact that the story started about the time Notre Dame started their Heisman campaign for him is purely coincidental [cynicism and sarcasm intended]

Comment by Hoopzebra 01.16.13 @ 5:11 pm

Guess we can chalk this up with Rudy and The Gipper as another Notre Dame myth.

Comment by Hoopzebra 01.16.13 @ 5:13 pm

First Alabama exposes the hoax that ND was National Championship material and now this???? Not too much luck of the Irish for the Irish as of late. I feel so bad for them.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.16.13 @ 5:34 pm

the plan for recruiting is to start in hawaii and work our way back east!! who knows, this kid may work out and pitt is spreading their brand a long way. I say why not.

Comment by goalie44 01.16.13 @ 5:49 pm

the kid is a big d line men we need big line men stop bitching
if you take a chance it should be on a line men
so shut up and go get a beer.

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.16.13 @ 5:58 pm

It doesn’t necessarily matter if Telani turns out to be a player himself. Pitt is making an effort to recruit the west coast, Hawaii is included. It’s something new, and as I recall Mike, the definition of stupid is continuiing to do the same thing and expect different results. So from your perspective, you should be happy. And if that doesn’t do it for you, everyone knows Hawaiians are good for the locker room. Adds a special dimension when the Dire Straits are on the stereo.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 01.16.13 @ 6:01 pm

If this kid is only 16 or just turned 17 he hasn’t even finished maturing physically yet.
Maybe his credentials are average for an 18 year old but boy they are something for a 16 year old.
I hope he stays for the long haul, doesn’t get homesick. He just may end up being the pick of the litter.

Comment by frankarms 01.16.13 @ 6:15 pm

Te’o & ND announce it he was the victim of a “cruel hoax”

Comment by tedsptman 01.16.13 @ 6:17 pm

Mike I’m on your side, this was a move led by inoke to sign his FIRST recruit. It’s a tell tail sign that hawaii didn’t offer and neither did any MWC or PAC 12. I read WSU backed off him.

Seems like a stretch. I see transfer in a few years. Hawaii to Oakland does not seem like a match for a kid that won’t see the field for a couple years.
It may work out but I think some could bring down there optimism in this one.

Comment by KRF 01.16.13 @ 6:50 pm

Who’s in charge of recruiting mainland China?

Dude should be FIRED. Hasn’t signed a one!!!!

Comment by pghFred 01.16.13 @ 6:54 pm

PITT will spend to much of there budget if they recruit west and don’t see much gain for the risk. Need to go south and maybe Texas since there r so many kids.

Comment by KRF 01.16.13 @ 6:54 pm

frankarms. i just saw that now! technically he might now even stop maturing by the time hes out of college! the fact that he is what he is at 16 tells me he has a bright future if he matures the way he should

Comment by pk 01.16.13 @ 9:46 pm

Jerry Diapola reported that Taleni could have played at Hawaii but wanted to play on the east coast. This is not a fake thing unlike another somoan that I know. I don’t understand why people are being crabby or overly joyed on this kid. A 3 star espn recruit with serious size and muscle forget where he is from. He’s an average recruit with potential just like most of our recruiting class which is in the top 30 in 2 of the 4 main recruiting sites. Plus an out dated 38th in espn and a outdated 32nd in rivals.

Comment by Beantown-Sean 01.17.13 @ 12:17 am

Dan’s comment above summed it up best!… LMAO as well. Beantown shows we are right up there nationally with the class and this is Chryst’s first really.

I like the Taleni … beeecause… the coaching staff likes him!

We’re getting some big boys up front and as has been said many times in many places… Chryst’s MO is finding talent and developing it.

Comment by PittScript 01.17.13 @ 3:42 am

pitts class is in the top 25 on scout and 247 as well

Comment by pk 01.17.13 @ 7:03 am

Just give me one more linebacker and one more running back committment and I will be very satisfied with the job Chryst has done in this recruiting class. He’s already silenced the crys about the dire lack of depth situation on the OL with this class.

There are two other RBs on the Pitt radar besides JoJo Kemp who has gotten most of the recent attention on recruiting blogs. They are Jacquille Veil from Rockville, MD and Nick Roberts from Brunswick, OH. Veil is rated by ESPN, Roberts is kind of under the recruiting radar rating services. Both are fast. Roberts tested out at 4.41 sec in the 40 and Veil at 4.49 sec. Veil actually has his official Pitt visit scheduled for tomorrow. Lets hope.

Jerry DiPaola from the Trib reported that there is another LB recruit that Pitt is considering, Zack Parker, that they might extend an offer to if he shows a true interest in the Panthers. Looks like his biggest asset is his smarts. The kid carries a 4.0 grade average and is intent on pursuing an engineering degree. Pitt’s engineering program is pretty good from what I hear, so maybe that’s the LB that I’m wishing for.

There also is another DT that is still undecided that hasn’t taken a visit to Pitt yet who is from Detroit, MI, Kenton Gibbs, he’s got an offer from Pitt but is keeping his decision private until LOI signing day, maybe still undecided. He has an official visit scheduled for 1/25, big guy at 280 lbs. Hopefully we can reel him in too. Another big boy for the line, just the kind that Chryst likes.

LOI signing day could provide a few surprises if any of these guys decide that they want to wear a Panther uniform. We’ll see soon enough.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.17.13 @ 11:02 am

Well said Dr.Tom

I like that the recruiting is across the country. Chryst landed Gabe Roberts from Wisconsin and Ryan Lewis from the state of Washington late last year.
I also like the recruiting of the Detroit area.

Comment by notrocketscience 01.17.13 @ 11:15 am

I’d like to see the new coach that Chryst is going to hire come from the Southeast with ties to the ACC footprint in recruiting. This area will of course start to open up for the Panthers once we begin playing in the ACC. The exposure will occur naturally and if we finally kick the habit of $hitting the bed in most of our important games we can then make an immediate impact in recruiting the SE, especially Florida. Wouldn’t it be a recruiting coupe if we could knock off both Miami and Florida State at home this coming season. Come on,,,,,I can dream can’t I?????

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.17.13 @ 11:21 am

You can dream. I don’t think beating Miami is a stretch. A DC with those ties would jump start that southern recruiting.
I really think people under estimate how much the coaching issues have hurt this team talent wise. Unfortunately, most of the players from this coming class aren’t going to have an impact for at least two years.

Comment by notrocketscience 01.17.13 @ 1:13 pm

I love that we got a Samoan on our team. They are charismatic and well known for playing tough football. I don’t care where kids come from. Play hard for Pitt.

Comment by Caw Miller 01.17.13 @ 1:25 pm

Dr Shannon, I believe Randy Shannon, former HC at Miami who also was DC there during its championship seasons, is still available. He certainly has Florida ties but not aware of any connection with Chryst

Comment by wbb 01.17.13 @ 2:47 pm

dr tom, pitt is no longer recruiting jacquille veii. they were recruiting him as a corner and they cancelled his visit saying that they had 27 commits and werent taking any more db’s. the rumor is that josh jones is a silent verbal. he visited pitt and just cancelled his official to msu this week.

Comment by pk 01.17.13 @ 5:45 pm

also, they like zach poker as a tight end

Comment by pk 01.17.13 @ 5:45 pm

Thanks for the updates pk.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.17.13 @ 8:00 pm