January 16, 2013

Open Thread: Pitt-Nova

Filed under: Basketball,Open Thread — Chas @ 4:24 pm

The game is on ESPNU at 7pm.

Work schedule is out of whack at the moment. Heading in for the night, which means DVR delay and shunning all media to avoid anything on the game. While there is no official word, Travon Woodall pronounced himself all ready to play tonight’s game. Woodall, however, doesn’t get the final say.

Pitt coach Jamie Dixon knew when Woodall went down that he was going to have to play the rest of the game without him. UPMC’s approach to treating concussions or possible concussions is cautious. Players must be without symptoms for 24 hours to run and for 48 hours before contact.

A year ago, Dante Taylor missed two games with concussion-like symptoms, and Talib Zanna was not allowed back in a game against Cincinnati after getting hit in the head.

“If the doctors feel he can’t play, even though he thinks he can play, he can’t play,” Dixon said. “We’re at the forefront of concussions and how to deal with them. We err on the side of caution. There’s no question that’s where we’re at and rightfully so.”

Woodall did not experience any symptoms Sunday or Monday. He went through some conditioning and other drills at practice Monday and will practice today with contact if there are no symptoms. He said he expects to play Wednesday night against Villanova when the Panthers travel to Philadelphia.

There has been no word one way or another. Hopefully he is not having any problems. Just as important — regardless of whether he plays or not — I just want him to be honest with the doctors. His longterm health is more important.

The surprisingly competent play by Zeigler in the loss got noticed as one of the few good things from the Marquette game. Several pieces hitting on it and his struggles.

“It’s been an adjustment period trying figure what Coach wants me to do,” Zeigler said. “It’s a new role for me, so, of course, there is going to be an adjustment period. I’m just trying to figure out what I need to do to help this team. I’m trying to do my best.”

Zeigler was expected to earn a starting job before the season began, but freshman James Robinson surprised the coaching staff and earned the starting point guard duties, pushing senior Tray Woodall to shooting guard.

That decision relegated Zeigler to an unaccustomed bench role. He started as a freshman and sophomore for Central Michigan and averaged 16 points per game. He is averaging 4.6 points in fewer than 15 minutes a game for the Panthers.

Truth be told, Zeigler hasn’t given Dixon much reason to change his rotation. He has struggled with turnovers and outside shooting. He has more turnovers per minute than any player and has not made a 3-point attempt (0 for 3).

As I’ve mentioned before, Zeigler getting that waiver to play right away did not work out the way anyone hoped. Rather than have an immediate impact as hoped, he has struggled with the adjustment to this system. He has had to learn a lot more on the fly since he can’t just practice. The impact has visibly affected his confidence during the games.

The hope being that the Marquette loss at least marked a turning point for Zeigler.

I think he‘s playing better, getting better,” Dixon said, “and that‘s what we had hoped as the year started.”

When Zeigler struggled to score, his minutes were reduced to 7.7 through the first three Big East games. He showed signs of progress by scoring seven points in eight minutes at Georgetown. Now, Pitt is hoping Zeigler can use his slashing ability to draw defenses and find an open man.

“I think the Big East, it‘s just being comfortable in our offense, being able to pick my spots and being more aggressive,” Zeigler said. “The last two games, I‘ve been a lot more aggressive and trying to make plays, not only for myself but my teammates.”

The Panthers believe the better Zeigler is, the more dangerous they will be.

“He‘s poised and he handles whatever situation that‘s thrown at him,” Woodall said. “He‘s definitely a guy we‘re thankful to have. With his development, we‘re that much more of a threat.”

As for the Villanova game. They have been shaky to start the season (to put it kindly). They had a stretch where they lost 4 of 5, including losses to Columbia and LaSalle but have looked better as the season progressed.

The Wildcats rank third in 3-pointers made (6.3) and have a sharpshooter in Ryan Arcidiacono, a 6-foot-3 freshman guard who has made at least one trey every game, three or more in six games and had seven 3s in a 32-point effort against St. John‘s.

In that sense, Villanova compares favorably to its Final Four team.

“This team could maybe shoot a little bit better,” said Pitt fifth-year senior point guard Tray Woodall, who is expected to return from a concussion sustained in Saturday‘s 74-67 overtime loss to Marquette. “The point guard shoots it probably as good as Scottie Reynolds used to shoot it. We‘ve just got to be ready and be aware.”

More concerning is that, through three Big East games, Villanova leads the conference in rebounding (43 per game), offensive rebounding (16.7) and rebounding margin (plus-9.7).

The Panthers have lost the battle of the boards in all three of their league losses, and know that they can‘t afford many more defeats if they hope to qualify for an NCAA Tournament berth after having their 10-year streak of tournament appearances broken last season.

“That‘s simply what I‘ve been saying all year long,” Dixon said. “It hasn‘t cost us until these last three games that we lost — we won the rebounding when we beat Georgetown — and the numbers don‘t lie. We need to get it done. I think it starts with our defense, too.”

At the same time, their two Big East wins came against St. John’s and USF. St. John’s or perhaps 8-8 Purdue would constitute their best win of the season.

So, I’m not sure what to expect from Villanova. Which is only fair, since I’m not sure what to expect from Pitt.

As it always seems with Nova, this is a huge game for Pitt tonight. If we lose, it will really hurt us in making the NCAA’s. If we get blown out, it will show that Bob Smizek is right and our biggest problem is “lack of talent”.

Now, would be a great time for Pitt to re-create the Georgetown game aura.

Comment by Dan 72 01.16.13 @ 4:41 pm

Man, all these new posters coming our of the woodwork.

PC must be doing something right with all the new attention to Pitt recruits. Or maybe it’s due to Jamie’s travails?

However, a little decorum might be in order for some of the newbies.

They have no clue as to how high they might have to raise their game, if they have game.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.16.13 @ 4:55 pm

Of course the Pitt season is not over if Pitt loses tonight so not going to say it is a must win….but it’s pretty darn close.

And another hit to the conference formally known as the Big East.. ..San Diego St is not surprising staying in MWC.

Comment by milo bloom 01.16.13 @ 4:58 pm

Dan 72, what do you think our biggest problem is?

Comment by Chuck Morris 01.16.13 @ 5:03 pm

Have to pass thing along for the bizarro story of the year if not the past 10 or so.

News breaking, that hero of heroes Manti T’eo, legendary line backer of the Irish, who played inspired football all year, for his girlfriend, who died tragically during the season, ah….., hmmm,…ah…..didn’t have a girl friend, let alone one who died????

Hey, maybe I’m the one getting taken. Being reported on deadspin and 93.7 the fan.

Comment by Dan 01.16.13 @ 5:04 pm

I agree with Dan72 that Pitt’s problem it is not lack of talent…unless you include toughness and confidence as talent.

For example, we’ve seen Zanna hit that short jumper all year then on Saturday he misses a few gets down on himself and plays his worse game of the year….we know he can make that shot so it’s not his talent but rather he tanked when he had a little adversity.

Comment by milo bloom 01.16.13 @ 5:12 pm

Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

link to deadspin.com

Comment by Marco 01.16.13 @ 5:12 pm

As far a Manti T’eo hoax story..when you have to put a question mark after your headline…which everyone reporting is doing so with exception of Deadspin I would bet the story of the hoax is untrue……could be wrong but that seems to be the way these things go.

Comment by milo bloom 01.16.13 @ 5:17 pm

1and4 would very hard to overcome considering the remaining schedule. We could really use a good game.I hope Woodall is ok but if he isn’t we still need a win.Villanova has been playing very well and I hope they are due for a let down.They shoot fouls,threes,and rebound.That isn’t a good recipe for us but maybe things will bounce are way for a change.

Comment by spiritofsection22 01.16.13 @ 5:24 pm

Could be a long nite for us.

1) REal long if Woodie can’t play OR is limited.

2) We never play that well in Philly where Nova is concerned.

3) Didn’t realize Nova was that adept at rebounding. Which is our biggest weakness since our 3 big guys are softies.

4) George Clooney look-a-like is a better in game coach than Jamie much to my chagrin.

5) Hope I’m wrong

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 5:25 pm

The Big East football side of things seems to be in a pretty tight tailspin at the moment. Just kind of waiting around for the smoke trail to burst into flames from the cockpit before it buries itself in the ground.

This T’eo story is out there. Maybe he is just the overly possessive type and the only way his GF could break up and lose him is to fake her death. Guess it didn’t work??

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.16.13 @ 5:29 pm

Positive spin:

Perhaps without the pressure to perform at The Pete, the Panthers can duplicate their success at the Verizon Center against G-Town.

Here’s hoping to an off shooting nite by the hated Villimanilli Wildcats !!!

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 5:36 pm

Lots of fictional stories out there, that the media does not vet. No more investigative journalism.

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 5:43 pm

The Manti T’eo hoax story is also being reported by USA Today as well as others… Almost as big a mystery as to which Pitt tam will show up tonight?

I would be pleased to see some simple goals met: more touches for the bigs, agressive and phsyical “D” and rebounding by Zanna & Adams. Attacking or passing on offense instead of 15 seconds of dribbling, maybe the biggest one of all: 75% from the free throw line!

PS – I’d trade all of that for a win against that school from the east.

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 01.16.13 @ 5:47 pm

I would love some of that Verizon Center team tonight.I think this one comes down to boards and foul shooting though.I hope the line is right because I honestly can’t see us as a 5 point favorite off of both teams recent history.Maybe I am putting too much importance on this game ,but I think it’s huge if we hope to be in the NCAA’s.

Comment by spiritofsection22 01.16.13 @ 5:50 pm

I still think it’s a problem of adjusting to a “freak” (and I mean that in a good way) center with a huge wingspan. It’s a combination of spacing and doing your job. The natural tendency is to stay out of the paint on both O and D and let the “big guy” do his thing. That’s what’s killing us on the boards. Once Adams goes out of the paint, either to hedge (which I hate) or to set up a high post on offense, the rest of the players on the floor seem to freeze instead of rotating to the proper spot. It sounds easy to fix, but only playing with Adams will eventually be a solution. Hope it’s tonight.

If Nova is hitting it’s 3’s this will be a very difficult game for Pitt. We cannot score with most intramural teams!

Comment by Dan 72 01.16.13 @ 6:03 pm

@Milo Bloom, oh ya, easily joke and hoax could be on me. Just thought it was interesting enough to alert you guys too. Especially with my disdain for Notre Dame and the enjoyment I’d have with it, with family members that are ND obnoxious!!!

I believe it’s called schadenfreude. The enjoyment of others misfortunes. (nothing serious, but Bama kickin their ass and this story if true), ya I get some joy out of that. Especially with the ND obnoxiousness I have to deal with during the year.

So, if it’s a double hoax, my fault. Time will tell I guess.

On to ‘Nova. Big game. Gotta grab the “w”.

Comment by Dan 01.16.13 @ 6:14 pm

BigLeast football needs to be mercifully put out of it’s misery.

Uconn, Memphis, UCF, USF, Cincy, Houston, SMU, ECU, Temple and whoever is a conf I wouldn’t watch a single game in football.

Rather watch a rerun of a rerun of a rerun of another rerun on the History International Channel or some movie on TCM I’ve seen 20 times already.

Can’t imagine ESPN would pay much money for that mess of C-USA teams, Sunbelt & BigLeast castaways.

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 6:36 pm

BigLeast Hoops is even worse, Cincy & Uconn need to find a basketball conf for their teams.

Maybe cast their lot with the Catholic 7. They could play as Independents in football. At least their schedule could be made better than playing all those c-usa, sunbelt teams.

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 6:39 pm

who’s the bigger fraud .. T’eo’s girlfirend or the school he plays for?

anyone who doesn’t think ND is a fraud, check their BCS and New Year’s bowls results over the past 15 years.

Comment by wbb 01.16.13 @ 7:02 pm

Nothing like going to Adams early and trying to get him into this game. Too bad 0-3. Hoping ‘Nova doesn’t start with 65% shooting like Rutgers and Marquette

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 7:04 pm

Can someone explain what that arc in the lane near the basket is for? I thought if the defender was inside it, he couldn’t take a charge. Am I misunderstanding the rule?

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 7:05 pm

I was going to post the same thing Pitt Dad. How do you draw a charge standing under the rim?

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 7:06 pm

Rough start

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 7:06 pm

Too much one on one. Where are the assists?

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 7:07 pm

Starting 0-6 from the field will do wonders for the confidence of this team….

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 7:08 pm

Is there a lid on Pitt’s hoop ?

Comment by MariettaMike 01.16.13 @ 7:08 pm

Guess we’re getting the “sorry you’re leaving the BE” treatment

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 7:08 pm

if Pitt was making any shot, they would be running away in this game. 0-5 FT and 0-2 3PT Zanna 1-2 at the line….3-1 game.

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 7:09 pm

There’s no way that Pitt shouldn’t beat ‘Nova easily, looking them start, but Pitt can’t buy a basket right now.

Comment by Lou 01.16.13 @ 7:09 pm

0-6 sweet

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 7:11 pm

Both teams are cold

Comment by MariettaMike 01.16.13 @ 7:11 pm

I hate teams that can’t shoot and this Pitt team is one of the worst in our history so far. All I wanted to do is to come out and get ahead. Thus we are 0-10 from the floor and 1-2 at the line.
U f’n gh!

Comment by Dan 72 01.16.13 @ 7:12 pm

Would be nice to be ‘nova tonight. I’m still bitter about Scottie Reynolds

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 7:13 pm

I feel like every big east team is licking its chops when the play Pitt. “last time when they play Pitt” – more will to win against them.

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 7:14 pm

I also think tonight was the wrong night for “take a drink every time Pitt misses a shot”

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 7:15 pm

skyhook taylor

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 7:16 pm

Now we’re rolling

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 7:18 pm

I feel like I’m watching an adult open gym game…

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 7:19 pm

ECH – Maybe comment of the year! Pitt plays better with Taylor in the center.

Comment by Dan 72 01.16.13 @ 7:20 pm

Adams sighting!

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 7:22 pm

I plan on staying sober tonight. I will only drink for made free throws.

Comment by TX Panther 01.16.13 @ 7:24 pm

TX panther….good plan if you want to stay sober. You could also drink when Pitt plays perimeter defense.

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 7:25 pm

Are Patterson and Zanna the same person? Lovers?
Smoking the same pipe? I have never seen 2 more ineffective offensive players…

Comment by Dan 72 01.16.13 @ 7:26 pm

Lot’s of home cooking on officiating

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 7:26 pm

Hilliard is 3 for 3 behind the arc shooting sideways.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 7:26 pm

Ziegler is our leading scorer so far.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 7:26 pm

I’m thinking of doing 5 hour energy shots just to stay awake.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 7:27 pm

Patterson stinking it up, JJ Moore time

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 7:27 pm

Not saying ACC officials will be any better, but I’m sick of the Big East going away party.

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 7:28 pm

Does James Robinson NOT have that pull-up jumper from the perimeter? So often I see him there, in-guarded, and rather than take a shot, he passes off. Is that “unselfishness,” or lack of confidence in his shot

Comment by Lou 01.16.13 @ 7:28 pm

Pitt 0-5 from 3 Nova 3-4

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 7:28 pm

Adult open gym! That’s being very nasty to adult open gym’s. God, this is awful to watch.

In a game that is just critical to Pitt, to see us play like this ….very frustrating.

But it’s like a baseball team that cannot hit (Pirates?) Every mistake is maganified.

Comment by Dan 72 01.16.13 @ 7:29 pm

This may be the worst exhibition of bball we have seen in a long time. We are getting worse.

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 7:30 pm

They appear to be as bad as us.

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 7:32 pm

Nice work big guy

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 7:33 pm

I really think it’s a function of a lack of confidence. Very indecisive, passing up good looks, and then forcing some bad shots too.

I don’t know what the answer is, but this group needs some positive vibes.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 7:33 pm

Robinson is driving me nuts with not taking a shot. He has had at least 7 open looks. He cannot be any worse shooter than the rest of this group?

Comment by Dan 72 01.16.13 @ 7:37 pm

or maybe it is the fact that the players can’t play before 7:00 at night?

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 7:37 pm

If Chennault got any closer, he’d have to buy Woodall dinner

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 7:39 pm

Nice pass

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 7:41 pm

I love BE officials

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 7:43 pm

Some ticky tack fouls on Taylor but Chennault can get away with more contact than most third dates. I don’t get it.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 7:43 pm

Sloppy

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 7:46 pm

so, apparently they missed the memo on going into the half strong.

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 7:46 pm

How ugly is this going to get?

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 7:46 pm

Tonight it’s lazy passing that’s killing us. But I still don’t get how we have 10 pf and they have only 4.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 7:46 pm

10 turnovers for Pitt in the first half / 5in a row to give up a7 point lead. This is the single worst hafl of basketball I have witnessed in a long while. Pitt has comitted every mistake in the book so far.

Comment by Dan 72 01.16.13 @ 7:47 pm

That’s a really bad display of basketball between two pretty poor teams.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 7:48 pm

10 fouls to 5. That’s calling it consistently.

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 7:48 pm

And Chennault finally picks up a meaningless foul to end the half.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 7:48 pm

Nova scores last 8 of the 1st half

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 7:49 pm

This game does not deserve TV viewing. Just horrible, both teams.

Comment by MariettaMike 01.16.13 @ 7:49 pm

I hate to say it, but it is starting to look like last year, need to figure out how to win this clunker.

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 7:50 pm

Good teams win the close ones, lets see how this turns out.

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 7:53 pm

Pitt should have the edge on Nova in the second half. Cut down on the turnovers. Make some shots. Not sure if they will have the edge on Nova AND the refs. That remains to be seen.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 7:55 pm

Strategy to start the half would be to get Hilliard to pick up a quick foul or two.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 7:56 pm

This team is hard to watch…is the talent level really there??…no offense to speak of…

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 7:57 pm

2 FG, 1 rebound combined for our starting center and power forward. We may have the most anemic front court in the country.

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 01.16.13 @ 7:57 pm

Zanna has become a ghost.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 7:59 pm

ECH – Zanna did this last year. Great in the preseason. started playing in the Big East and disappeared. came back in the CBI. Only does well against weaker competition except some flashes in the pan games where everyone thinks he is back. Look for him again in this year’s CBI

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 8:00 pm

Patterson mia, playing like a freshman

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 8:06 pm

Good game Lamar 0 Pts 3 fouls

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:07 pm

John Cahill has gladly stepped into the Tim Higgins shoes as the biggest jackass zebra in the game.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 8:09 pm

And as if this game had poor flow to begin with, the refs have decided to grind this game to a complete halt.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 8:10 pm

Yeah! This team stinks

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:12 pm

ECH – worse than Jim Burr?

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 8:12 pm

Can’t blame Patterson for the fouls.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 8:12 pm

Enough …I have seen enough. I agree with Smizek.This is a team with mediocre talent and poor chemistry playing with NO confidence. I hate to see how much uglier this can get.

Comment by Dan 72 01.16.13 @ 8:12 pm

this team is a joke…no heart….they just stand around

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:12 pm

Pitt shooting 30% Nova 37.

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 8:13 pm

who is our next “must win” opponent?

Comment by goalie44 01.16.13 @ 8:13 pm

I thought this team had some talent. Is Zanna/Adams really that much different from Kendall/Gray?

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:14 pm

Pendulm is correct. Zanna is horrible when the going gets tough, and our star freshman guard is an offensive bust. This is getting old.

Comment by Jimbo 01.16.13 @ 8:14 pm

Nova 17-3 run, we bad

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 8:15 pm

There is absolutely no takeing care of the ball..we have zero ball handlers..and no one can score…pathetic…is dixon on the hot seat??

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:16 pm

Pitt has been offensively challnged before — but those teams could at least rebound and play defense.

Comment by wbb 01.16.13 @ 8:16 pm

This team really is bad. Ray Fittapaldo tweeted that at the half, starters were 3-16 from the field and two of those were from Steven Adams. Zanna has disappeared and Lamar is a complete head case it seems. Certainly when those two are your “best” players, you are not very talented. I don’t think Lamar would be more than a sixth or seventh man or most top 25 teams.

Is anyone starting to worry about James Robinson too? I understand he is a more traditional point guard, but he will not shoot at all when open (I’m guessing because he is not a great shooter) but is not athletic so he can’t make people pay for not guarding him. If I was an opposing coach, I would press him hard up the court, then just drop off in the half court set and dare him to do something. If he is surrounded by great shooters, I can see how he would be effective being a “coach” type on the floor, but without great players around him, he is simply not good enough to be a difference maker. Maybe I am overreacting.

Comment by Mac 01.16.13 @ 8:16 pm

Ugh, I must have blocked Burr out of my brain.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 8:16 pm

Great NCIS episode on USA

Comment by Dan 72 01.16.13 @ 8:17 pm

Zanna and Adams have no clue what they are doing out there.

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 01.16.13 @ 8:17 pm

1 pt per minute = 40

Comment by Frank MD 01.16.13 @ 8:17 pm

Brandon Knight looking clueless on the bench.

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 8:19 pm

Mac….i see robinson’s struggles…he was great against lesser opponants…but is struggling big time..the game seems to fast for him……..and Duran Fn Johnson is the only guy playing with heart!!

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:20 pm

At least Johnson is playing with some heart.

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:21 pm

Keep shooting DJ!!!

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 01.16.13 @ 8:21 pm

at least if I turn on the Penguins black and white game…I know the Penguins will win…

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 8:21 pm

These teams are mirror images, except they like foul shots. Predictions?

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:21 pm

LOL….Taylor is the king of the stupid foul.

Comment by Jackagain† 01.16.13 @ 8:23 pm

Nova 52
Pitt 48

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:23 pm

Two below average teams in a very average conference.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 8:24 pm

Tim Welsh, you’re just bitter because Dixon owned you, so just shut up.

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:25 pm

Robinson looked scared to take the charge there…

Comment by Jackagain† 01.16.13 @ 8:26 pm

Robinson saw that play coming at him. Step up and take the charge. Don’t protect your mug and think you’ll block it.

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 8:27 pm

We might be lucky to get an invite to CBI

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:28 pm

Jim Burr is the worst of all time….thank God we won’t be seeing him again for awhile.

Comment by Jackagain† 01.16.13 @ 8:28 pm

Wright must be in dog house, Dixon should try every combo he has since the starters are lost

Comment by Jimbo 01.16.13 @ 8:29 pm

How is DJ the only shot on this team. I thought we had enough guys for two hot hands each game, but we barely have one.

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:30 pm

Adams should get 3-5 dunk opportunities a game

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:30 pm

At this point we have more pf than made baskets but it looks like the refs got a message to even it up.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 8:34 pm

In your face Woodall

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:34 pm

How bad is Georgetown?

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 8:35 pm

Moore makes 2, 10 of 14, who are these guys?

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:36 pm

Pitt 3-12 from 3 Nova 5-12

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 8:38 pm

Schizophrenic team

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:38 pm

Going to be mucho foul shots down the stretch. Hope we stay hot.

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:39 pm

I coached a game like this once. 5th grade PAL basketball. Best part was a mom from one team got into a fight with a dad from the other. Best action of the night.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 8:39 pm

And he’s our senior. The foulfest begins

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:42 pm

Jamie looks to be at a loss on the bench. I am very concerned.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 8:42 pm

DJ needs more minutes

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:42 pm

Jamie is always looks lost! and constipated!…tell me this…how dow cam wright go from first man off bench to no playing time?..not that i like cam..our coaches suck!!

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:43 pm

Zeigler does his thing

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:44 pm

DJ getting Cam’s PT

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:45 pm

DJ zeigler and moore need more playing time….im telln you…our coaches are bad

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:46 pm

Up to 20 pf now. Soon we will have more pf than made buckets and made FT.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 8:46 pm

Keith…you are forgetting Cam STARTED against Rutgers.

I am hoping he has the flu. That is the only reasonable excuse i will accept, barring legal/academic problems.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 8:46 pm

Im fuckn tire of seein a senior make terrible passes….woodall does it al the time

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:46 pm

These are two mediocre teams wih mediocre players and mediocre coaches at this point. Not impressed. The style of play is cringing. Another year like this and I think its Miller time. Three years in a row of this means Jamie strikes out. I still have hope but what good is winning ugly and then shitting the bed come tourney time. I’m tired of wearing Depends.

Comment by TX Panther 01.16.13 @ 8:47 pm

Think I just saw Nas behind the bench. Has a new hairstyle.

Comment by Mac 01.16.13 @ 8:47 pm

How many bad passes tonight

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:47 pm

Not that Cam is the answer to this team’s problems, but his absence is perplexing.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 8:47 pm

ECH…thats my point…cam sucks…why was he seeing som playing time??

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:47 pm

Tex, you are being kind calling these teams mediocre.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 8:48 pm

Trey and Durand are figuring it out pretty quickly.

Comment by Vulcan Rob 01.16.13 @ 8:49 pm

Slash Ziegler

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 8:49 pm

I want it to be MILLER TIME!!

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:49 pm

Hey. Did you guys know that Ziegler is the son of a coach? How many times is Welsh going to go to that line?

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 8:49 pm

Ziggy playing well, but we must be the worst hands team ever.

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:49 pm

I get it Keith. I agree with you. How can this coaching staff misevaluate it’s own talent so poorly?

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 8:50 pm

just take alook at our points from the bench…it’s more than the starters!!

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:51 pm

Could it be?

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:52 pm

Hustle points!!!!!

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 8:52 pm

Holy heck. What happened in the past 5 minutes?

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:52 pm

That is the first “big” rebound I’ve seen this season from this team. That loose ball has been going the other way in all of our losses.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.16.13 @ 8:52 pm

I’ve seen some very athletic plays, and … by God, they look excited to play… WHAT HAS HAPPENED

Comment by Benzene 01.16.13 @ 8:52 pm

ECH…idk..but it’a a problem..and ego’s will be tarnished…i can’t believe were gonna win this game

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:53 pm

For as bad as it is watching this game, it could be worse Pitt fans. You could be Nova fans. Boy, what happened to them too?

Comment by Mac 01.16.13 @ 8:53 pm

This game should be shirts and skins and it should be played at the Archbishop Carroll High School Gym.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 8:54 pm

just keep drinking…just keep drinking…not going to break the streak until it says 0:00

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 8:54 pm

and…were a better road team than home team…wtf??..the pete has lost it’s advantage…the fans there are terrible..except for the zoo

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 8:54 pm

Making our push with Robinson on the bench

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 8:54 pm

Oh no….one & one for Adams….good as another turnover… LOL

Comment by Jackagain† 01.16.13 @ 8:55 pm

alcofan, I was just going to say that the offese seems much better with Tray on the point. I would edfinitely play the backcourt combo of Woodall and Zeigler a lot more

Comment by wbb 01.16.13 @ 8:56 pm

Make foul shots

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:57 pm

Will 50% work?

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 8:58 pm

Let’s go Pitt!

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:58 pm

Suck it Jay Wright

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 8:59 pm

We win a close one with foul shooting.

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 9:00 pm

Good “D” boys, locked them up at crunch time.

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 9:00 pm

At the end of the season, this will be considered a “good” road win, but unless they make some kind of monumental “leap” this season, they will be NIT-bound.

They seemed to play Michigan more completely than nearly anyone in the Big East (maybe G-town)

Comment by Lou 01.16.13 @ 9:00 pm

H2P!!!! More night games and no more nooners! UConn coming in Saturday. I’ll be at Fuel and Fuddle (bar opens at 10, kitchen at 11) for some tasty brews. Hope Pitt has a curfew and wakes up to play.

Comment by Pendlum 01.16.13 @ 9:00 pm

We’re shooting 70% from the line. Imagine if we did that in the games we lost.

Meanwhile, MD beat #14 NC State. Ranked teams falling all over the place this week.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 9:00 pm

well….were gonna have to play alot better than this on saturday to get a W

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 9:01 pm

Far better to win a game like this than lose it. But I fear that it is another example of a team that will struggle the rest of the way.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 9:01 pm

Ziegler and Johnson lead with 13 each.

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 9:03 pm

Wow 15-0 to close out the game. That’s how you finish. It wasn’t pretty, but a much needed win.

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.16.13 @ 9:04 pm

nice win boys..someone posted earlier “good teams find a way to win close games”..tonight they did!

Comment by goalie44 01.16.13 @ 9:04 pm

One last game against Nova at home…..it would be great to close them out 6-0 after that loss in the NCAA’s.

Comment by Jackagain† 01.16.13 @ 9:05 pm

Woodall…johnson….zeigler…moore…adams..shud start

Comment by Keith 01.16.13 @ 9:05 pm

Calhoun less UConn sat at high noon. Bring em on.

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 9:05 pm

It’s a win but my eyes hurt watching it. I said it earlier. I think Zeiglar is the key to Pitt playing better BBall.

I have seen better played girls jv games than that first half.

Comment by Dan 72 01.16.13 @ 9:06 pm

At least they straightened out the FT situation some tonight. 73%

Comment by Jackagain† 01.16.13 @ 9:07 pm

Patterson 4 steals 0-4 from 3,hopefully his best games are ahead.

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 9:08 pm

It could be worse…it could be made known that Tino Sunseri had a “girlfriend” from “Canada” and Pitt would be made a laughingstock yet again. At least we dodged that one.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 9:09 pm

IT is miller time make the call .

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.16.13 @ 9:09 pm

Pitt 19-26 from the line, I guess they practiced this week.

Comment by alcofan 01.16.13 @ 9:10 pm

Good finish to an ugly game! The Panthers hung tough. Zeigler made some big drives at key moments and there were some nice blocks by Adams. I liked how they played with Woodall and Zeigler together. We really needed Woodall playing the point. Tonight they played tough down the stretch.

Comment by Justinian 01.16.13 @ 9:12 pm

We found a worse shooting team than us!

Comment by Pitt it Is 01.16.13 @ 9:15 pm

I think inconsistency is to be expected from Adams and Robinson. But Zanna, Patterson, Moore…they have got to get on the scorer’s sheet with more reliability.

Comment by ECH 01.16.13 @ 9:15 pm

Dammit Pitt. You made your free throws and made me drink. 19 of them. And it was Tequila night at the house. Nothin better than some enchiladas and margaritas. Good win.

Comment by TX Panther 01.16.13 @ 9:18 pm

Good teams find a way to close out and win? Guess Pitt was a good team tonight.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 9:19 pm

We need to win these next 3 games before we run into the buzzsaw. But I think maybe Cuse is a little overrated…..we usually play them well.

Comment by Jackagain† 01.16.13 @ 9:21 pm

Our +6 reb advantage was all on the offensive boards

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 9:30 pm

Why is everyone on ESPN saying this is the last regular season BE game with Nova? They come to the Pete March 3rd.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.16.13 @ 9:31 pm

Manti like his team is over rated.

Huge road win tonite. Trey is coming out
fog and Durand Johnson has to get
more minutes. The kid has a great stroke.

Go Pitt!

Comment by JR 01.16.13 @ 9:42 pm

Way to finish.

Comment by Chris 01.16.13 @ 9:42 pm

Did someone say somethin about heart? Guess Smizik might have to rethink his rant, no wait he doesnt put much thought into anything. Way to scrap Panthers. Had to have this win. Too bad all the rats climbed back on the blog, err ship, instead of drowning! UPone

Comment by UPone 01.16.13 @ 9:44 pm

off topic …. but some good news

link to cbssports.com

Comment by wbb 01.16.13 @ 9:46 pm

As a rat, I would have jumped off the ship if she sunk tonight. But since she remained afloat, I’ll stay on board and go back to my cheese. I mean Margaritas.

Comment by TX Panther 01.16.13 @ 9:48 pm

19 shots TX?!?! Can’t believe no typos!

Comment by Pitt it Is 01.16.13 @ 9:55 pm

EJ tweets that the 43 Nova scored is the lowest in the Pavillions history. There is finally a team more offensively challenged than Pitt. Nova really has gone down hill fast. But they did get to that Final 4.

Comment by TX Panther 01.16.13 @ 9:56 pm

U Phone, Bob Smizik is and always has been, absolutely clueless about anything to do with sports.

Comment by Justinian 01.16.13 @ 9:59 pm

Not shots. Swigs of margaritta. There is probably about 9 shots in my mix and about 3 shots of Grand Marnier. I’m starting to feel it now. My thumbs are the last to get drunk on my hand. Typing from the BlackBerry.

Comment by TX Panther 01.16.13 @ 10:00 pm

Wooooohooooooo

Just got home from watching the BIG WIN at a local watering hole.

Wooooohooooooo !!!!!

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 10:23 pm

Wooooooohoooooo

Zeigler finally comes up BIGGGGGGG

the Z-man

Wooooohooooooo!!!!

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 10:25 pm

U.G.L.Y.

But at least they finished strong and Zeigler showed something. But watching this team is not fun.

Comment by Carmen 01.16.13 @ 10:28 pm

Wooooohoooooo

Found a couple more players tonite.

Durand Durand and the Z-Man

Almost themselves outscore the starters combined.
26-27

Woooooohooooooo!!!!

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 10:29 pm

Wooooooohooooooo

The hillbillies are absorbing another beatdown.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 01.16.13 @ 10:31 pm

Emel, how much did you have at the watering hole? I agree that a win is a win, but this was UGLY. The key is, can we build off of this win? We finished strong and Zeig took over in the end. Didn’t see that coming. We NEED to carry this into Saturday against UConn. Wish I had as much fun as you, Emel.

Comment by panther94 01.16.13 @ 10:32 pm

Yep, Iowa St. bringing the pain.

Comment by panther94 01.16.13 @ 10:34 pm

lol Woooooohoooooo

Not that much, I just love beating Villimanilli.

Woooooohoooooo !!!!!

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 10:37 pm

Woooooohoooooooo

Z-Man & Durand Durand should play more, since they haven’t lost many games yet as Panthers. Haven’t developed the Pitt yips.

The ACC games are ugly this year as well. Must be preparing for our entry.

Woooooooohooooooo !!!!!!!!!

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 10:41 pm

I think they were leading scorers…amazing. I’m worried about Robinson. Not sure why he’s gone downhill.

Comment by panther94 01.16.13 @ 10:44 pm

Don’t discount how important it is to learn how to win. But let’s hope they learn some things. Woodall knows how to close out games and Robinson is still learning. Jamie played the hot hands Durand Durand and Ziggie Stardust and they came through. Although, Zanna, Patterson and Moore are in a scoring funk, they all made some nice defensive plays. Adams and Taylor are getting more scrsppy, keep fighting.

This is a team that needs to learn how to win ugly, because artistic they are not.

I like the spirit of this team. Maybe the pieces will come together.

In any case we need Patterson, Moore and especially Zanna to come out of their offensive slump, at least I hope that is what it is.

Better foul shooting made all the difference.

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 10:46 pm

gc, agreed, but how can Patterson, Moore, and Zanna all be in a funk? That seems odd. Maybe, like you said, just winning can help. We need to do that the next 3 games before we have Louisville and the Cuse.

Comment by panther94 01.16.13 @ 10:51 pm

Wbb, great read, thanks. Some of the more informed on here will need to explain to me how it is that the ACC had total revenues of just $17M less than the Big 10, yet the ACC payout per team is a lot lower than the Big 10…Oh btw, good old BE slobber knocker of BB Game. Good win.

Comment by HbgFrank 01.16.13 @ 11:00 pm

Shooters get cold, but Zanna is the most troublesome. He needs to play angry and I am not sure he knows how.

One bright thing is that the 43 Villanova points may be the lowest ever at the Pavilion and we had a lot to do with that. Defense is a must have for this team to get better. They need to learn how to bring it every night. Physical play wins the day.

Comment by gc 01.16.13 @ 11:02 pm

First – They rebounded tonight. This takes so much of their concentration, at the moment, that they blow other things when they do it. But they’ll eventually be able to rebound automatically.

Second – Zeigler took over at crunch time. It’s a young team and it needs leadership from upperclassmen that can play better when the game’s on the line. Zeigler’s been there.

The team is putting together the pieces that they’ll need. By the end of the season, they could really be something.

Comment by Howard 01.16.13 @ 11:08 pm

Wooooooohooooooo!!!!

All is well in Pantherland, we shoot only 37% FG’s and still win by 15.

Watched some real ugly big 10 games as well, such as Wisconsin beating #2 Indiana last nite.

Ugly games all over Clemson 60 Wake Forest 44

Winning Ugly is a beautiful thing !

Wooooooohoooooo!!!!!

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 11:12 pm

Talk about Ugly.

Maryland beat #14 NC State 51-50

Maryland shot 34% FG 17% (3-18) from 3 and had 13 turnovers and still won. That had to be a horrid game to watch.

Lots of teams that can’t shoot, especially from 3. Kids today don’t want to take the time it takes to practice becoming good outside shooters.
It’s all about taking you off the dribble to show you up.

That’s why I say play Zone, make em make shots from the outside. More than likely they can’t.

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 11:23 pm

EVen NBA teams rarely shoot 50% FG

Not many Larry Birds anymore.

Comment by EMel 01.16.13 @ 11:27 pm

It’s been a while since I played competitive basketball, then we were taught to follow-up our shots to get the rebound if missed. Today no one does this. We also wore the same shoes, no individualism. Even though we did not have any superstar players, we won most of our games through team-work and excellent free throw shooting. But those days are long gone.

Comment by MariettaMike 01.17.13 @ 8:23 am

T’eo == “Girlfriend wanted dead or alive” Taint quite a girlfriend taint quite not. Important info for a guy to know.

Comment by DC33 01.17.13 @ 8:54 am

After watching the last 8-10 min. of the game again (with a little clarity [sobriety]), Pitt won this game purely on defense. I don’t think ‘vill’ even had an uncontested pass, let alone shot. JD will ride the “defense” horse into practice (and it is his favorite mode of BB transportation).

Comment by CompLit 01.17.13 @ 9:11 am

What happened to Cam Wright? He played 1 minute.

Pitt seemed more aggressive, especially in the second half.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 01.17.13 @ 9:25 am

Great win last night…At least 3 times last night I had figure Pitt was going to blow it which made the last 5 mins of the game all that much better.

I have loved the way Johnson has played all year (you can tell the kid has a lot of heart) and it’s nice to see him have such a big game last night…need to find more minutes for the kid especially if he keeps shooting that well.

I was skeptical of the whole Manti T’eo hoax story at first (as you can see by my ealier comments)….I guess we are at the point these days in sports were just about anything is possible.

Comment by milo bloom 01.17.13 @ 9:37 am

Many of the headlines this morning are that T’eo is a victim of a hoax … actually the headine should be that T’eo is a Dickhead or that T’eo is Disingenuous.

My headline for the basketball game would be ‘Nova Outstinks Panthers’

Comment by wbb 01.17.13 @ 9:47 am

@ wbb — Agree both teams stunk last night but glad that Villanova stunk more than Pitt. It was nice coming out on top for a change. H2P

Comment by MariettaMike 01.17.13 @ 12:03 pm