January 19, 2013

Open Thread: UConn-Pitt

Filed under: Basketball,Open Thread — Chas @ 9:33 am

So, this Manti Te’o crap is overshadowing everything at this point. With no resolution in sight. No clarification or understanding appearing to get closer, it leaves everyone still trying to figure this out.

Te’o and his representatives seem to be doing nothing to make this clearer. The bizarre sitdown with Jeremy Schaap of ESPN — where there was no filming and limited audio — has me convinced that it was conducted that way to purposefully confuse things further. A confused and weary of the story public finally says, “F**k it” and gives up trying to figure it out or care.

Think about it. Late Friday night interview. No video and limited audio — ostensibly to make Te’o more comfortable. Jeremy Schaap gets trotted out on camera — clearly exhausted — tries to give some picture of what Te’o was saying in the 2.5 hour interview. It raises even more questions:

Schaap asked why Te’o didn’t go to see Kekua in the hospital.

“It never really crossed my mind. I don’t know. I was in school,” he said.

Somehow all this crap has managed overshadow thoughts about the game at noon against UConn. One more reason to hate Notre Dame.

It’s a big game for Pitt. The Panthers haven’t won two in a row — or even a home game — since before Christmas. Sitting at 2-3 in the conference slate, Pitt needs to go at least 8-5 the rest of the way to make the NCAA Tournament.

Sitting at 2-2 in the Big East and 12-4 overall, UConn has been something of a surprisingly good team. Despite the turmoil of the conference falling apart while being stuck. Despite NCAA and Big East penalties that have them excluded from the NCAA and Big East Tournaments. Despite playing for a new coach — who only recently had the interim tag removed. Despite a thin bench with transfers. UConn has played real well. They upset the Domers in South Bend. They also have an overtime loss to Marquette.

Needless to say, this is the final meeting between Pitt and UConn for the forseeable future. Which means nostalgia time. Clyde Vaughn a former Pitt star and assistant with UConn talks a little.

Vaughan won‘t allow himself to look at it that way. He knows he can neither change the past nor reside in it. He must accept it.

“I thought some things would happen where I would be a head coach, but it didn‘t work out,” he said. “I look at it as it was never meant to be.”

Vaughan now follows the career of his son, C.J., a 6-2 senior guard at Oswego East. Because Clyde — who also goes by his given name, Clive — was born in England, C.J. will play for the Brits in the U-18 European Championships in July.

“He‘s a really, really good ballplayer,” said Vaughan, now a substitute teacher and private basketball instructor. “His game is completely different than mine. He has the range, like I did, and can really shoot it. And he‘s a great defender.”

C.J. is a teammate of Mike McAllister, the younger brother of UConn guard Ryan Boatright, so Vaughan still follows the Huskies. A proud Pitt alumnus, he calls earning his degree in four years at Pitt his proudest accomplishment.

It does amaze me that he’s completely out of coaching after being tagged for solicitation (yet again), while Pitino still goes strong. And plenty of others who have done worse are still in the game.

There will be plenty of nostalgia during the game on ESPN2, given the games Pitt and UConn have played. The Blair toss of Thabeet. Kemba “effin’” Walker. Khalid El-Amin. Big East Tournament meetings.

I’m not worried about that today. I want to see if Pitt can shoot a little better and keep up the defensive effort.

Zeigler and Johnson accounted for nearly half of Pitt‘s points in the 58-43 victory at Villanova, scoring 13 points apiece off the bench. Zeigler played 25 minutes and Johnson 23, and their playing time figures to increase with every game in which they prove they are more than just scorers.

“They‘re playing better and better, and they‘re understanding what we‘re trying to do,” Dixon said. “I‘ve continually stressed rebounding and defense is the secret to playing time.

“It maybe takes some guys a little while to figure out. Again, it‘s a whole other level from where you played high school or somewhere else, defensively. It‘s not even comparable. It takes some time. You can preach it, but they‘ve got to go through growing pains.”

It has been the opposite for Pitt‘s two other newcomers, 7-foot freshman center Steven Adams and 6-3 freshman point guard James Robinson. They earned starting spots during the nonconference schedule, but are going through their own growing pains in providing an offensive punch against Big East competition.

Coach Dixon loves to keep stressing the rebounding margin. To some degree, the stats are bearing him out this year.

The Panthers were beaten on the boards in all three of their losses and entered the game against the Wildcats, the best rebounding team in the Big East, with a minus-3.7 rebounding margin.

Not only did the Panthers come away with a plus-12 margin on the boards, but the Wildcats, also the top offensive rebounding team in the league, were limited to one offensive rebound and zero second-chance points.

Dixon spent most of his preparation time in practice preaching about the importance of controlling the boards, and his message finally got through to his players.

“It’s no secret what you have to do in our league,” Dixon said. “You have to be able to rebound. For whatever reason, in our losses, we didn’t rebound. You have to play to your strengths. If you don’t, you end up coming up short.”

I don’t even know how much Coach Dixon truly believes in rebounding margin. He tends to be much smarter about numbers and stats. My (latest) working theory is that Coach Dixon looks at rebounding margin more as a measurement of the effort way the team is playing. Bad rebounding numbers suggest a lot more standing around. Not being active on the boards and especially on defense.

It’s a nooner on ESPN2. We’ll see what kind of effort Pitt shows today.

Go Pitt!

Comment by Don Walnut 01.19.13 @ 10:03 am

Heading down to the Pete. I’m gonna join about 12000 other inadequate Pitt fans to watch our undertalented team and their incompetent coaches put another whoopin’ on the Huskies.

My only regret is that Jim Calhoun won’t be there to appreciate it.

Comment by dinosaur 71 01.19.13 @ 10:15 am

HTP The last of the UConn saga.Napier rumored to be hobbled.Time to get some PETE respect reestablished and get back to even in the conference.Rebounds+defense=win.The formula is in place and is what Pitt needs to be and do.I hope Talib returns to form and Adams continues to improve.

Comment by spiritofsection22 01.19.13 @ 10:15 am

Chas…

Just a little interesting that you left out Jamie’s comments regarding if we only knew what we know now back in September or October.

That is integral to the story by the Post Gazette.

Some ardent Dixon supporters are giving Jamie a pass saying he was referring to the players not getting it.

I didn’t take it that way when I first read the story but hey maybe I was wrong.

Either way, Jamie not getting that rebounding by his big men is the team’s weakness, or the players not getting what he’s trying to get across… the admission is “pretty astounding” given that we’re in mid-January.

We’ll find out today if it was really the changes Jamie instituted against Villanova that made a difference and will continue to make a difference going forward.

Personally, I’m suspicious. Watched the Villanova game and the rebound differential seemd to result from Villanova getting really sloppy late in the game.

Bottom line… find it interesting you left out what I and some others find as the most interesting aspect of Jamie’s rebounding revelation.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.19.13 @ 10:25 am

The team needs to start putting a couple wins in a row together. Today will be a good start.

I was gone on vacation all week, but I see that we are still talking about the OOC on here. Most teams schedule one or two power teams in the OOC. That’s how it is. It isn’t a Pitt thing it is a college basketball team. So as season ticket holders, we missed out on probably one extra good game, which was supposed to be vs KY before BE pulled out the rug. If you think an extra loss to Duke in late November or early December would have really made the team leaps better you are pretty foolish.

@SFpitt your rant about the erosion of the basketball brand because of the OOC is false. People have never showed up to the bad OOC games. I’ve been going since the Pete opened. There have always been empty seats at those game and there always will be. Also Pittsburgh is a bandwagon town. Just look the Pens were about to move until they got two of the best players in the world. The only way the Pete will be jammed packed for most games is if the Pitt is elite in that given year. And the team isn’t bad as you suggest. It’s a young team learning how to play.

Comment by Wardapalooza 01.19.13 @ 10:26 am

Which Pitt team will show up today? Which players will step up?

Let’s Go Pitt!

Mason up and win ugly.

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 10:40 am

Here is to hoping Coach Dixon goes a little more up tempo today w/ the lineup of Woodall/Robinson at PG Ziegler and Johnson on the wings, Moore at the 4 and Adams in the middle. In the second half against Nova, w/ that lineup, we forced more turnovers which resulted in easy shots. Big game today,hopeful for big results.

Comment by Bones 01.19.13 @ 10:41 am

It is time for Jaime to stop starting the 2 pg’s. Get Woodall back in at the point and start limiting Robinson’s minutes some. There is no point having 2 points start. Plus with Ziegler, Moore and D Johnson you have 3 similar players coming off the bench. Start Zeigler.

Comment by bdubb 01.19.13 @ 10:54 am

If Robinson continues to show no scoring ability he needs to sit for long stretches also they need to convince Zanna this is not a Big East game and maybe he will show something, he folded two years in a row and is on his way to #3.

Comment by Jimbo 01.19.13 @ 11:03 am

bdubb, I agree, use Robinson as the back-up point guard keeping them both fresh. Ziegler, Moore and Patterson take it hard to the hoop.

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 11:04 am

I was watching highlights of Blair vs thabeet. That team was so much better tham this one. Hopefully I see a win!!

Comment by pendlum 01.19.13 @ 11:10 am

Thank god I now have another reason to hate Notre Dame because I was afraid I would start to run out of them.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 01.19.13 @ 11:31 am

It always amazes how fast many fans forget just a few games ago. While not so much on this thread, previous thread wondered how in the world Dixon could not be playing Zeigler more and Robinson less. For about the first 10 games of the season that would have cost us about 5 wins. Zeigler was nothing more than broken wheel and a turnover machine while Robinson carried us at times on the floor. I have no problem with adjusting minutes now, but let’s remember Zeigler has only had 1.5 good games.

And I totally agree with Wardapalooza. Pitt has done a really good job of scheduling over the last 6 or 7 years not including this year or last. Maybe not always the elite matchups we would like, but scheduling against the upper competition of mid majors like Wofford, Belmont, etc. You know, the types of teams that are risky to schedule, but actually help the RPI and (hopefully) you have to play in the first round or 2 of the NCAA’s I imagine it is hard to predict who these teams will be a year or 2 in advance. This year didn’t work out so well.

And, thank you Chas for not trying to read too much into the semantics of one sentence from Coach Dixon where he mentioned rebounding like he has after every game this season. And I’m still not convinced this group of layers has totally bought into the consistent effort to rebound and defend from play to play.

Anyways, let’s go Pitt!

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 01.19.13 @ 11:31 am

BGPanther things have changed. Although I was never one to suggest any moves on the lineup situation times have changed. If Adams can’t do anything but ally-oop dunk for points and Robinson hasn’t shown that he can score you need to break up the lineup some. There is no reason for 2 pg to play at the same time. Ziegler has gotten better and more confident and starting him would just balance out the team better. 2 weeks ago I wouldn’t have cared if Zeigler played but this team needs better balance or the bench will outscore the starters every game. Plus, does anyone really see Woodall being a 2-guard?

Comment by bdubb 01.19.13 @ 11:40 am

Brady Quinn now Manti in a long line of
over rated over hyped ND players. Please
make this story on Manti go away!

Comment by JR 01.19.13 @ 11:41 am

The real Panthers show up today
And beat the cheats from Uconn.

Comment by JR 01.19.13 @ 11:42 am

Question… What reason would there be for players not buying into what their coach was trying to get them to do?

Comment by PittofDreams 01.19.13 @ 11:44 am

Just a little inspirational thought for our Panthers prior to taking the to the floor vs UCONN. Click below to check it out.

!cid_468375411@19012013-1E32

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.19.13 @ 11:52 am

Sorry, link doesn’t load, so I’ll explain, inspirational comment from a ND source, “play like you had a fake girlfriend die today”!

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.19.13 @ 11:58 am

It was telling that Robinson was on the bench at crunch time at Villanova. He is going to be a great player, but has to learn how to take charge and win the close ones. Woodall is a senior and the leader of the team. It just makes sense to me to have two dedicated point guards. You have Wright, Ziegler, Johnson, even Patterson and Moore to play the shooting guard.

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 12:01 pm

@bdubd,

If you read my post again you will see that I agree that things have changed. Zeigler has 1.5 good games whereas Robinson has struggled for several.

I tried to make it clear that my only complaint was that a few were griping that it took Dixon so long to see that Zeigler whould be playing starter minutes. No one in their right mind would have switch them early in the season However, there are a few who can’t seem to remember more than 2 or 3 games ago.

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 01.19.13 @ 12:02 pm

In addition to my all-time favorite college bb game, Pitt beating UConn at the Pete in 04 … I believe the 3 straight BE championships between the two from 02 thru 04 will be my biggest memories of this series.

Also worth mentioning, in addition to what Chas listed above, is when Chevy singlehandedly beat the at Storrs back about 7 years or so ago

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 12:04 pm

Sad to see Jim Burr on the ref squad…..

Comment by pendlum 01.19.13 @ 12:05 pm

Zanna is scoring….that’s big.

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 12:10 pm

Reason it was brought up?? Probably because it’s been mentioned several times on national broadcasts about how it’s one of the poorest OOC schedules for a major team.

Google schedules, rated as one of the poorest.
Several publications have used the word embarrassing. (Atholon Sports, CBS schedule matrix)

Everyone does it???? Considering most of us would be happy just to play another BCS school, or a team known for it’s hoops……………….

BC……Baylor, Auburn, Penn St., Providence

Syr…..Princeton, Arkansas
Louis…Missouri, Duke, Memphis, Kentucky

PSU…..NC St., Providence, Bost Coll., Penn
WVU…..Gonzaga, Davidson, Oklahoma, Va Tech,
——–Michigan, Purdue

PITT….Michigan

Ok, throw in the SEC challenge game we missed.

Comment by Dan 01.19.13 @ 12:11 pm

didn’t see a foul by Tray at all. Did I miss something?

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 12:11 pm

@ Dan – don’t forget we would have played Virginia in the Garden if they had beaten Delaware

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 12:13 pm

while I don’t mind JJ taking it to the hoop … but 1 on 3?

the pace of this game favors UConn

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 12:21 pm

Called into work (don’t worry, I made sure two warm bodies are in the seats.)

Cable is out here!!! (Car went into a pole outside of building). Went to ESPN 2 on the computer, it’s asking me for cable provider, then username and password!! WTF!!!!!!!!

Any score updates would be appreciated!!!

Comment by Dan 01.19.13 @ 12:25 pm

There is no effin way that’s a foul on Adams

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 12:28 pm

Pitt 19-11, 9:27 left UConn ball

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 12:29 pm

I don’t get it. I’ve watched games on ESPN 3 several times before. Never asked me questions. Just clicked on game icon, game popped up.

Frustrating.

@Pitt Dad. True.

Comment by Dan 01.19.13 @ 12:30 pm

and another phantom foul on Pitt

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 12:30 pm

22-15 Pitt

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 12:34 pm

Dan….usually you have to sign in to espn once to receive the games via espn3.

221-15 PITT

Comment by Oregon_Panther 01.19.13 @ 12:35 pm

Is the crowd rockin’ or mellow??

Had a feeling it might be rockin yesterday. Big game, Pens starting, NFL playoff games, just had a feeling the place would be going nuts.

Told car into pole has nothing to do with cable being out.

Ok, done posting, don’t want to hog the space. Really frustrated.

Will check in for scores if people are able.

Thanks for your update PittDAD.

Comment by Dan 01.19.13 @ 12:35 pm

poor Dan, I assumed it’s blacked out on the online radio 93.7 also.

7 min left 23-15

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 12:36 pm

@Oregon, maybe I watched those games at home computer, not work????

Ok, fellas, bring home a winner!!!

Comment by Dan 01.19.13 @ 12:36 pm

@wbb, ya, 93.7 transferred to CBS radio at game time.

Don’t have a real radio here. Can’t go out to truck. LOL

We all have to take our medicine sometime I guess!!!

Comment by Dan 01.19.13 @ 12:40 pm

Another crock call….the BE is screwing Pitt on the way out.

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 12:40 pm

You guys need a link for the game?

link to atdhenet.tv

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 12:43 pm

2:56 28-19 but Woodall and Adams each with 2 fouls

Dan, you may want to consider CBS Sports or ESPN .. click on College BB andd the Scores, then click on this game – Gametracker o something like that

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 12:45 pm

Last post, for real. I want to apologize for above post on OOC schedule. Frustrated with my situation here today I guess.

Please disregard. I hope no one else comments on it, Chas’ topic is about todays game.

I apologize to WARDAPALOOZA and anyone else who was looking for gameday banter.

Sincerely sorry, just pissed I’m missing the game.

Comment by Dan 01.19.13 @ 12:46 pm

Pitt is looking good today. H2P

Comment by MariettaMike 01.19.13 @ 12:48 pm

And 1!

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 12:49 pm

@Jackagain. You are my effin’ H-E-R-O!!!!!!!!!

You got many brews coming to you if we ever meet up!!!!!!

Part of my frustration, is I am here by myself watching a control panel.

Got the game. Thank You Sir!!!

Comment by Dan 01.19.13 @ 12:49 pm

35-22 half Pitt’s really outhustling them

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 12:50 pm

@Dan – no worries – we’ll all keep you up to date

HTP

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 12:51 pm

Dan…bookmark this:

link to atdhenet.tv

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 12:51 pm

Adams came to play…7 boards and a few blocked shots

Hail to PITT!
-al-

Comment by Oregon_Panther 01.19.13 @ 12:53 pm

Pitt’s defense looks great!!…and were scoring better…Zeigler is key to this team..we need his scoring…looks good so far..h2p

Comment by Keith 01.19.13 @ 12:53 pm

Pitt is playing an extended zone and letting Adams patrol the paint. UConn hasn’t adjusted and I hope they don’t.

Comment by Pittastic 01.19.13 @ 12:57 pm

I really like Tray Woodall and Trey Zeigler in there together. But when Woodall was out Robinson did a good job with Zeigler. Zeigler has to play! They are playing excellent defense and they’re playing well as a team.

Comment by Justinian 01.19.13 @ 1:00 pm

Nice half. Adams confidence is growing, starting to see his potential. Zanna awake today, all crashing the boards. Pitt zone has really bothered UConn.

Comment by Iron Duke 01.19.13 @ 1:07 pm

Some guy on the ESPN game link says Adams is listed as the #22 NBA prospect on ESPN insider.

Pitt’s 4-10 on FT’s today….common guys!

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 1:13 pm

Adams is getting into NCAA basketball. Nice rebounds and blocked shots.

Comment by MariettaMike 01.19.13 @ 1:14 pm

Patterson can be frustrating and inconsistent offensively – today is a good day – but he is a helluva passer.

Comment by Iron Duke 01.19.13 @ 1:20 pm

Is it me or are these guys rooting against us?

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 1:25 pm

No time to fall asleep now Pitt….good time out.

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 1:27 pm

Crunch time

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 1:27 pm

They need Woodall and Adams back in.

Comment by Justinian 01.19.13 @ 1:29 pm

Zanna needs to get going again….he’s done nothing this half.

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 1:35 pm

Zanna needs to get going again….he’s done nothing this half.

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 1:35 pm

Going to need better foul shooting down the stretch

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 1:37 pm

Boatright is killing us….

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 1:39 pm

If you are going to foul, foul hard.

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 1:39 pm

Who is going to step up?

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 1:41 pm

Pitt is back to playing 1 good half and poor FT shooting at home…just shoot me….

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 1:41 pm

Again, no effin way that was a foul on Adams. That’s 3 phantom fouls on him.

And why are these guys rooting for UConn? Do they know the fix is in?

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 1:41 pm

The Dixon fade is alive and well.

Comment by TonyinHouston 01.19.13 @ 1:42 pm

Poor foul calls on Pitt.

Comment by MariettaMike 01.19.13 @ 1:43 pm

No Ziegler no Johnson, no Moore.

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 1:44 pm

Clutch shot by Robinson

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 1:46 pm

As soon as we switched to man-man defense – uconn comes back. Dixon didn’t switch back to zone until the score was tied up. wtf?

Comment by Nev 01.19.13 @ 1:46 pm

gc, they’re the only guys other than Woodall who can shoot FT’s too…critical right now.

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 1:47 pm

Taylor!

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 1:52 pm

who knew Dante had a jump shot? Great pass from Woodall

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 1:53 pm

Sleepy!!!

Comment by Iron Duke 01.19.13 @ 1:53 pm

Great minutes from Taylor…

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 1:53 pm

How about Dante Taylorcoming up big w/ the free throws then the mid range jumper at the end of the game.

Comment by Bones 01.19.13 @ 1:54 pm

I’d like to see a slow mo on that one

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 1:54 pm

Wooooohooooo

Sleepy coming up large

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 1:55 pm

Must make

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 1:56 pm

Robinson comes through

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 1:57 pm

JR with the dagger

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 1:57 pm

Derek Wittenburg such a better commentator than Welch.

Comment by Bones 01.19.13 @ 2:00 pm

Good so see the guys pull this out.

Comment by TonyinHouston 01.19.13 @ 2:00 pm

Comment by Jimbo 01.19.13 @ 2:01 pm

Tested. Prevailed.

HTP

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 2:01 pm

wooohoooo

2 in a row

still hate nooners :-)

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 2:02 pm

A true TEAM W!

Hail to PITT!
-al-

Comment by Oregon_Panther 01.19.13 @ 2:02 pm

Those two 3′s and Taylor’s play late won the game for Pitt. Good job guys…

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 2:03 pm

Sleepy’s had a jump shot for several years.

He just never is in space to use it.

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 2:04 pm

Bones, those free throws from Taylor are what won the game. Good for him!

Comment by KeyboardKev 01.19.13 @ 2:04 pm

Gotta say I was not feeling it when they came back to tie it at 58-58

they had all the mo…after being down by 13 at half.

Proud of my Panthers for showing some resiliency.

Woooooohoooooo

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 2:07 pm

Would’ve liked to cruise a bit more in the 2nd half, but this feels great. Can’t help but think this is a game that definitely would’ve been lost last season. Don’t want to get ahead of things, but taking care of business this week should lead to a 5-3 mark heading to Louisville for a Big Monday.

Comment by JW 01.19.13 @ 2:09 pm

Did I count right? 8-8 from the line down the stretch?

And truly a team win as already stated! With nice clutch play by Dante & Co.!

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 01.19.13 @ 2:10 pm

Learning how to finish.

Needed win.

HTP!

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 2:10 pm

We are halfway thru this stretch I said we need to really go 4-0, to make a move in the standings.

Before the schedule gets tougher.

And beating Uconn is always greattttt !!!

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 2:12 pm

.500 in conf. and they are in tourney no problem

p.s. love the sleepy nickname..good stuff!

Comment by scoocher 01.19.13 @ 2:15 pm

Patterson with 14, 1 & 4 assts.
Woodie with 13, 2 & 6
JR with 12, 2 & 3
Zeigler 8 & 1
Zanna 7 , 5 & 1
Sleepy 6, 7 & 1 (clutch today)
JJ 4, 5 & 1
Adams 3 & 10 (blocks ?)

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 2:16 pm

PITT is now 15-4

After starting 1-3 in the BigEast
PITT is now 3-3

Only 5 more wins for another 20 win season

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 2:19 pm

Also encuraging to see Adams continue to grow. 10 rebounds & 3 blocks is where he should be for Pitt to contend. I would like to see him aroun 10 mpoints a game as well instead of 3 but there’s still time.

This has been a difficult coaching jobin my opinion. A lot of talented parts, but no stars. A lot of spurts, but 0 consistency. I give Dixion credit for continually mixing and matching. Sometimes it has worked and sometimes it hasn’t. It’s just 2 games and 3 out of 4 but I think we can start to see some growth.

Two strong finishes in close games! I was starting to think we would never see that again.

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 01.19.13 @ 2:24 pm

20 win season? EMEL, EMEL, EMEL, what are you trying to do? Haven’t you been reading, we need to get rid of Dixon, just ask POD. Please keep these positive thoughts to yourself.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 01.19.13 @ 2:27 pm

REbounding margin was Pitt 34
Uconn 24

Coach has got them believing in his revelation.

Hey whatever !!!!

As long as they win, bottom line.

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 2:31 pm

Good game for Pitts confidence. Need to keep it up though. So glad they beat those bums. Ville and cuse today should be a dandy. Two acc teams in action. Screw you big least.

Comment by TX Panther 01.19.13 @ 2:33 pm

Great game today. The crowd was really into it. Loved seeing the Vegas gold uniforms.

Comment by HL2Pitt 01.19.13 @ 2:34 pm

“You have to play to your strengths. If you don’t, you end up coming up short.”

haha….maybe Coach has been reading The Blather.

Get Sleepy & Adams in more space. I believe both of them can hit 10-12 foot jumpers, get them following their shots, just get them involved more.

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 2:50 pm

Sorry, but Pitt won 22 games in the regular season last year and it got us the CBI Tournament….couldn’t get into the NIT with that stuff.

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 2:51 pm

Nice game for JR too, first time he’s shown his “clutchness” in BE play. Just like Adams, showing growth. Nice to ice it with free throws.. I wanna see more of that zone.

Comment by Iron Duke 01.19.13 @ 2:56 pm

Quality wins will get Pitt into the tourney. Louisville game is big. Giant I mean. Beat them and they are in. I’m confident they can beat up the bottom dwellers in the conference and win at least one game in the Big East tourney. It won’t be the CBI this year. NCAA all the way baby.

Comment by TX Panther 01.19.13 @ 3:08 pm

We use to wear Gold at home a lot back in the Sam Clancy, Sammie Ellis, Carlton Neverson era.

I believe they had Pitt script in white with white trim on the Gold uni’s.

They looked good !

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 3:09 pm

Just got back…great crowd today at the Pete…maybe the sunshine and warm weather had something to with it. I am expecting more the same in a souple of weeks for Syracuse.

Jamie Dixon on post game said over and over how they won the rebound margin and that was the key to the game and how he’s been saying that after every game…

Anyone who follows Dixon knows that his always stressed that so why some people on this board think it is something new and keep bring it up is beyond me.

Also I thought it was intresting that he thought the comeback was probably due to the fact that he had Pitt playing zone at start of 2nd half and that took away Pitt being aggressive and allowed UConn to comeback.

This team is getting better every game. I feel the best is yet to come with team.

Comment by milo bloom 01.19.13 @ 3:10 pm

@Jackagain: Pitt didn’t win 22 until after running the CBI. 5-13 in the conference last year. Huge difference. Don’t be a negative Nancy.

Comment by JW 01.19.13 @ 3:10 pm

right JW…I think we were only like 17-16 or so after the regular season, BE tourney.

I was looking at the schedule, and if we win these next two games, we’ll be in good shape.

We close with 4 winnable games as well.

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 3:21 pm

Coach has done an excellent job righting this ship, that was taking on water at 1-3 and getting a severe list.

We are now on an even keel.

I love nautical terms, don’t u :-)

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 3:24 pm

West Virginia Community College absorbing yet another beatdown, trail by 22.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 01.19.13 @ 3:27 pm

I hope like hell Adams stays at least 1 more year. You can certainly see his potential — just needs to get a little stronger and learn how to finish.

Once again, the weakness of the team was exposed — unable to defend good guard play

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 3:35 pm

Props to the team for being tough minded and playing hard! Even when it got close in the second half never thought we would loose. Nice coaching job by Jamie Dixon. Loved Dante’s contribution! Boatright was out of his head in the second half and what quickness! Still say that Lamar is the key to this team’s future. Thank goodness the staff didnt give up on Zigler!
Stay focused on the next game! H2P. UPone

Comment by UPone 01.19.13 @ 3:43 pm

Wbb, from everything I’ve heard Steve Adams has said, he likes college life and intends to graduate. I honestly don’t think Chris Taft or DeJuan Blair should have left early. Chris Taft needed to develop his post up game and his shooting. DeJuan Blair is a back-up in the NBA. He was a star in College and he could have played another year gone higher in the draft. He could have been part on a National Championship team. That’s something you have for the rest of your life. Also, you never get your college years back, so my advice would be to enjoy them.

Comment by Justinian 01.19.13 @ 3:56 pm

@marcus,

thanks for the update, hoopie beatdowns combined with Panther wins always makes for a pleasant day.

Also this is nice too……previously winless in the Little 10 Nebraska, finally found someone in the Little 10 they can beat……

Pedo State. (still winless in conf)

game was played at the Jerry Sandusky Sports Complex.

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 3:57 pm

Justinian, I don’t disagree. My worry is that many NBA draft pics are all about potential, and if Adams has a legit chance at big bucks, who knows … especially with 17 siblings (or whatever) back home

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 4:00 pm

Great win. Not happy to see us blow a 14 point second half lead, but it was great to see the team respond after UCONN tied the game. They are learning that they can close out a win.

Comment by HbgFrank 01.19.13 @ 4:03 pm

on 1st play from scrimmage, Ray graham fumbles at Shrine game – NFL Network

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 4:09 pm

wbb, A few year ago, when the Pitt basketball program was stronger, He may have been a back-up, or possibly have been red shirted. It’s not exactly Jamie Dixon’s MO, to start 2 freshmen. In former years, they brought new players along more slowly. I think Adams played pretty well today. He had several blocked shots and played a strong defensive game.

Comment by Justinian 01.19.13 @ 4:11 pm

Justinian, as much as I’d like all the Pitt players to stay, it’s hard for me to agree with you. If after 2 years I could have left for almost guarenteed bick bucks, I would like to think I’d be smart enough to do so. Especially in the case of Blair, who’s knees probably won’t allow for a long NBA lifespan. Some of these players make obvious mistakes, but I can’t say any of the players you listed did. Now if you’d like to talk about Mark Blount, that’s a nother story.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 01.19.13 @ 4:13 pm

As long as you know who isn’t playing, I will forgive Ray Ray for that. lol

Ray Ray will be a big play guy in the NFL.

Good luck to him !

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 4:13 pm

Comment by EMel 01.19.13 @ 4:23 pm

EMel, nice clip, you should have dedicated it.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 01.19.13 @ 4:28 pm

Dan, no biggie about the schedule beef. I only brought up OOC because a while back Chas and I argued about it. I said how Pitt is different and much worse but he proved me wrong.

Good point about Blair’s knees. He would have never went in first round because teams didn’t want to have to guarantee that initial contract.

20 regular season wins plus a win in BET should be enough to get in.

Good win. I think I will always be confused by Dixon and his rotations and decisions when to play zone D.

Comment by Wardapalooza 01.19.13 @ 4:51 pm

Taft was lazy and best thing for Pitt was that he did leave early…he would of brought entire team down..He did have a ton of talent though..he wasn’t a hard working kid that Dixon normally goes after..they only reason he came to Pitt was because the asst. coach (Barry ? drawing a blank on his name but went on to head coach) went to same high school..Taft had way too much talent not to go after him, but I believe if that tie wasn’t there Dixon never would of recruit him.

Blair has bad knees as much as I wish he would of stayed one more year he made the right choice to leave when he did.

@Wardapalooza..Good post earlier on the schedule….Pitt does the same as most teams..this year though they really had some bad luck so no question it is bad and really not worth complaining over…Dixon has said himself on his talk show that it wasn’t ideal but it is what it is…he believes in the long run it shouldn’t matter considering the Big East schedule they play.

Comment by milo bloom 01.19.13 @ 5:21 pm

Roehrssen

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 5:49 pm

DeJuan Blair did the right thing by leaving. A big guy with bad knees should take the $$ while he can. He would not have won an NC by coming back with Fields and Young leaving. Therefore, he had nothing else to prove at the college level. One of the most dominant front court players this side of Shaq.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.19.13 @ 6:01 pm

I’d like someone to offer a convincing explaination as to why Pitt doesn’t junk its man-to-man defense scheme, and play zone full time.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 01.19.13 @ 6:02 pm

I hope Taylor is living large tonight. I don’t think anyone thought he would make 2 huge foul shots and a 10 footer to save the day.

He deserves success just for the perseverance and team first attitude. A class act.

Too bad we couldn’t keep up the beat down of the first half, but very important to learn ways to win the close ones.

Keep the pedal to the metal and win them one at a time. Emel, good utube, The naysayers have to take the night off.

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 6:20 pm

And Chas, nice stuff on Clyde Vaughn, boy what a shooter. Too bad what happened. He deserved better.

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 6:22 pm

And nice Header, sign me up.

Comment by gc 01.19.13 @ 6:24 pm

speaking artist’s license … a full blown hippy tank leadern WWII (Kelly’s Heroes)

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 6:32 pm

Ryan Turnley is playing OL for the WEST
while there is an OL from Arkansas Pine Bluff playing for the EAST

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 6:44 pm

Story of the game was Adams defense in the first half. Uconn’s guards were completely flustered and frustrated by his presence. He blocked three shots, but he altered or discouraged 10. His second half foul trouble allowed Uconn to climb back into the game.

I was happy to see Pitt handle some adversity. We haven’t been able to do that this season. We got a few big shots off excellent assists when we needed them. This was a big step forward for Pitt. You aren’t going to face too many teams with three guards as good as Uconn’s. Pitt took them out of the game completely in the first half. The second half was little different, but Adams foul trouble was the cause.

Thankfully Dante Taylor came through with some solid offense to ice the game for Pitt. 2 big free throws and a foul line jumper. Way to go Dante! I’m not his biggest fan, but I have to give him credit. He played a horrid game, but stuck with it and made two big plays. Atta boy!

I think this week was a big step forward for Pitt. Nova and Uconn are both better than Rutgers. Pitt beat them comfortably. It didn’t always appear that way, but Pitt was clearly the better team and proved it at the end. I think this team is coming around. I look forward to watching them in the next several weeks. Pitt has a tough stretch coming up, but the team has the talent to win these games.

Comment by omar 01.19.13 @ 6:46 pm

I know this has been mentioned but just to bring it up again for anyone who missed it in all these posts:

From Chad Ford’s Big Board Ranking the Top 30 NBA Prospects:

#22 STEVEN ADAMS
Player: Steven Adams
School: Pittsburgh
Class: Fr.
HT/WT: 7-0, 240
POS: C

“Adams is all about upside right now. He’s still figuring out how to play the game. He’s already a terrific defensive talent, and he’s tall, strong, athletic and not afraid to be physical. Adams is still a major work in progress on the offensive end and can still get lost on the defensive end, too. He’s likely to stay in Pittsburgh at least one more season, but if he did declare, someone would likely gamble on him in the first round.”

Comment by MikePITT 01.19.13 @ 7:10 pm

Pitt is really not playing a zone…it is more of a match up zone with Adams controlling the center.
If Adams was not such a great defender, Pitt could not hang in that zone.

As I said before, Pitt learned a lot from the losses and applied themselves today with some hot shooting, good FT’s and finishing a game with grit.

Comment by Dan 72 01.19.13 @ 7:56 pm

Pitt plays zone (1) because the guards cannot defend man-to-man many times and/or (2) when they get in foul trouble. Both of these were the case today

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 8:29 pm

Pitt won – Pens won – hoopies lost – UPS lost – UCLA lost – OSU lost……someone pinch me :-)

Sad note….great local sports icon, Stan the Man Musial passed away.

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.13 @ 8:45 pm

Donora’s Stan the Man — defintitely an all-timer
3600 career hits, lifetome average well over 300

Comment by wbb 01.19.13 @ 8:59 pm

Stan the Man and Earl Weaver on the same day. Even as a Yankee fan, I admired both. Earl Weaver made baseball fun. Musial was already an eminence when I saw him at the end of his career but my dad told me many stories of seeing him tear up Ebbets Field. Sad day for baseball.

And yet….

HTP – great win today

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 9:34 pm

Clyde Vaughn was quite a player for Pitt. Maybe if Seth Greenberg lands a job next year he can hire Clyde, I think they were close.

Comment by Jimbo 01.19.13 @ 9:52 pm

Te’o: “…to have people think that, yeah, he met her before she passed away, so that people wouldn’t think that I was some crazy dude.”

I think he meant say GAY DUDE.

This guy is homosexual neurotic.

Nice win by Pitt v UConn

Comment by Neil 01.19.13 @ 10:28 pm

It’s always good to beat UConn!

Comment by Justinian 01.19.13 @ 10:28 pm

Who cares about Manti T’eo? Who cares about Lance Armstrong. You said what you had to say now fade into the shadows.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 10:43 pm

Pitt Dad:
I read this blog daily & typically like what you have to say. So if you are talking back to my comment then go ahead and address me by name — it’s in fact my real name. Furthermore, I do care about stories that implicate Americans “acting the fool.” It’s embarrassing, frankly.

Comment by Neil 01.19.13 @ 10:57 pm

Also a very arrogant comment if in my direction. As in, “now go fade.” If this is the case, I say in response, “Grow up,” Pitt Dad

Comment by Neil 01.19.13 @ 11:01 pm

No RPI boost from the stage magacians tonight. Took a real beat down from VCU 90-63.

Comment by alcofan 01.19.13 @ 11:05 pm

Sorry. My “fade into the shadows” comment was addressed to T’eo and Armstrong, not you Neil. I equally respect what you have to say on this blog. I just resent people like T’eo and Armstrong filling the airwaves and websites when, frankly, there are more important sports stories and real life stories that deserve more attention
. I’d rather hear what Notre Dame is doing to investigate the Lizzy Seeburg travesty than their investigation of the T’eo farce for example.

So, in the spirit of all things Pitt, please accept my apology for what was, at best, at misplaced antecedent and, at worst a comment which inadvertently offended a fellow Panther fan.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 11:14 pm

a misplaced antecedent

I have to do a better proofreading job

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 11:15 pm

@Neil – Just to be clear, if I am addressing my comment to the poster directly, rather than to the comment itself, I generally begin with @(insert name here). That being said, I can appreciate how my terse comment could have been misinterpreted and, for that, I’m sorry.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 11:24 pm

(Hugs all around)

Comment by panther94 01.19.13 @ 11:41 pm

@panther94 – LMAO – thanks

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 11:43 pm

@Pitt Dad – any time, my friend. (Hug)

Comment by panther94 01.19.13 @ 11:47 pm

Back atcha man
(Hug) (High 5)
HTP

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.19.13 @ 11:53 pm

As a kid I was in Ebberts Field and watched Stan Musial hit Three home runs for St Louis. Plus he was well liked by all the Dodgers at the time.

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 01.19.13 @ 11:55 pm

I just watched replays of our past few games. I think this team is really coming together and learning how to win close ones. A few observations: Woodall is ice, so you Woodall haters: go f*** yourselves. Adams is getting better…becoming a force. Robinson is definitely our long-term leader. Wright and Moore are disappointing right now. I think Moore is so athletic, he needs to do something with it. Wright will be our Wannamaker next year, maybe. Taylor is getting good cleanup and making the most of his minutes. Durand Durand (shoutout to Emel)will be fierce next year. Patterson and Ziegler can do even more. Zanna can do better, but has not stopped contributing in some way.

I like this team.

Comment by panther94 01.19.13 @ 11:59 pm

I forgot to say that they have lots of heart…probably the most important thing.

(High 5 to Pitt Dad)

Comment by panther94 01.20.13 @ 12:02 am

@Pitt Dad,

We’d be cooler with a fist bump.

Comment by panther94 01.20.13 @ 12:02 am

@panther94 – one of the drawbacks of asynchronous communication is that I did not see you going up with a fist bump when I put up the high 5. That being said, it’s never too late.

(fist bump)

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.20.13 @ 12:11 am

@ old pitt grad – do you recall the year?

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.20.13 @ 12:11 am

(fist bump)

Comment by panther94 01.20.13 @ 12:14 am

What I want to know, though, is where is Neil in all of this?

Comment by panther94 01.20.13 @ 12:18 am

panther94, no doubt that we would have beaten Marquette had Woodall hadn’t been injured early in the game.

While Robinson is playing great for a freshman and came up clutch yesterday, he still makes a lot of careless passes and sometimes dribbles way too much. The team is certainly better when Woodall is on the floor.

Comment by wbb 01.20.13 @ 6:00 am

I will take credit for the “Sleepy” nickname, my only claim to fame?

Dubbed him that his freshman year based on his resemblance to Sleepy Floyd.

At the blue gold game this year, I asked him to sign a ball “Sleepy” Taylor and he did.

When I showed him an iphone image of Floyd he gave me a disbelieving look. The other players grabbed the phone and had a hearty guffaw at Sleepy’s expense.

Luckily for me Sleepy can take a joke!

Comment by steve1 01.20.13 @ 6:49 am

Sleepy Floyd was a 6’2 guard who despite having an accomplished college career, wasn’t expected to be a good NBA player .. but he fooled them all.

On the other hand, our Sleepy was much heralded 6’10 big man, but didn’t turn out to be a very accomplished college player. Nonetheless, I hope he goes out with a bang, graduates and maybe makes good money in Europe or something.

Comment by wbb 01.20.13 @ 7:43 am

Seconding Omar, Adams is getting meaner. Now all he needs is just half of Blair’s butt.

Comment by steve1 01.20.13 @ 7:59 am

Trivia: Stan Musial played both baseball and basketball at Donora High, and was offered a basketball scholarship to Pitt. He chose a baseball contract from the Cardinals instead … how dare he!!!

Comment by wbb 01.20.13 @ 8:21 am

Isn’t this whole Monti Te’o thing silly? They played up the whole dying girlfriend thing to get sympathy, in the Heisman Trhphy voting. Years ago when Notre Dame was promoting Joe Thiesman for the Hiesman, his family name was pronounced “Thees-man” with the longe “E” sound. However the Notre Dame publicist told him, from now on we’re going to pronounce your last name to rhyme with Heismen. Today years after his pro career, the family now pronounces the family name that way.

Comment by Justinian 01.20.13 @ 8:27 am

Notre dame is a football factory. Whether they like to admit it or not. Their athletes are no more special than any other school. I lump the domers with the nitters. Those programs can both rot in hell. Those self righteous, arrogant pricks. I’m a hater of both schools so I would probably be told to go fuck myself by their fans and alumni. I often wonder what that means. If I can achieve orgasim, why would that be a bad thing?

Comment by TX Panther 01.20.13 @ 8:53 am

@wbb Good piece of triva….Also Dick Groat was a better BB player than he was baseball player as well and he liked it better according to him..but in those days baseball was the biggest sport by far so the best athletes almost always ended up in baseball.

Comment by milo bloom 01.20.13 @ 9:20 am

Yesterday I’d say Robinson was more clutch than Woodall. He hit 2 big 3s, Woodall hit some nice shots but also had 2 or 3 really bad turnovers, including on two lazy one-hand passes, one of which was late in the game and could have been very costly. Zanna disappeared again but it was really nice to see Sleepy come up big. Strong team win.

Comment by Carmen 01.20.13 @ 9:35 am

Carmen, Those turnovers by Woodall really helped UConn make their run. Yes, Robinson and Dante Taylor, both came up big in the clutch.

Comment by Justinian 01.20.13 @ 9:49 am

Milo, Yes Red Arbach of the Boston Celtics always said that Dick Groat, played the wrong sport. He thought Groat was a terrific player and that he should have continued to play basketball. I heard from older guys that he was an amazing shooter.

Comment by Justinian 01.20.13 @ 9:54 am

Nice to see Patterson returned with 14 points and 5 assists and Zanna had 7 points in half a game. Still think that Moore needs more than 13 minutes. I guess , unfortunately there are not enough minutes to go around. Each game a few come up short, Moore 13, Johnson, 10 and Wright 4.

This is Jamie’s biggest challenge, getting the right matchups, recognizing the hot hand, keeping them all happy. I noticed one shot of the bench, everyone but Johnson was smiling and cheering for a big play. Hope it is just an aberration, he has been playing well but was 0-3 in his 10 minutes yesterday.

Comment by gc 01.20.13 @ 10:02 am

Also, great to see Robinson come through at crunch time, paper said first made 3 pointer in big east play. Nice foul shooting too.

Comment by gc 01.20.13 @ 10:05 am

The case for not going to zone full time:

1. Doesn’t suit Pitt’s talent
2. Best used as a change of pace
3. Takes away some of Pitt’s aggressiveness

Pitt lacks the length and quickness to play zone at an elite level. Patterson, Woodall and Robinson are all too short or too slow or both to move around the perimeter and force bad shots. Pitt has recruited players they think can play man, stronger, tougher guys. Syracuse recruits players with length who they think can bother shots and recover quickly.

When Pitt has been effective with the zone it has been because either the other team was beating the man off the dribble and the zone ensured that there was help ready for the penetration or because the other team wasn’t expecting it. But eventually the other team finds the holes in the zone (baseline or high post) and starts knocking down shots.

This Pitt team is not aggressive enough by nature. Jamie has to constantly push them to step it up. Man to man is a more aggressive defense and gets the team to be more active. A zone is more passive. The attitude creeps into the whole game, they tend to get back on their heels on both sides.

Syracuse is the only big time program that uses a zone full time. They have been doing it forever, it is in their DNA. It is effective for Pitt as a wrinkle and I like that Jamie is willing to use it occasionally. But the second half yesterday was a great example of why it won’t work full time. Pitt used the zone well in the first half to protect against the crazy speed of Boatwright et al. They came out in zone in the second half and quickly gave back a bunch of their lead. UConn found some holes, hit some shots and the momentum switched. Jamie said in his post game comments that HE thought coming out in the zone was a mistake but it took away some of their aggressiveness.

The zone is best when used in small doses.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 01.20.13 @ 10:06 am

Boubacar, Belien at Michigan uses the 1-3-1 a good bit and when they were getting beat, by Pitt in the 1st half, the went to in the 2nd. It turned the game around. When Huggens took over the West Virginia program and saw how good they with the 1-3-1, he used it a good bit along with his tought man to man. I like the 1-3-1 because it’s an aggressive zone with a lot of man to man principles. In any event I do agree with you. Pitt is best in their man to man, but it’s also good to throw a change up at times here and there.

Comment by Justinian 01.20.13 @ 10:17 am

I was wrong.
I did not think this team had the heart to get up off the deck and grab victory from the jaws of defeat.
It was more pleasurable having lost a lead. Ask Louisville about being up 48-40 with 8 minutes to play.
Just keep showing me. Providence is better than people realize and that game will be a huge challenge for us.
Finally, Notre Dame is perfecting the art of hypocricy. George O’Leary, death in the video tower, refusing to speak to rape victims and soaking up the glory of this kids tragic but beautiful “love” life so long as it suited their PR needs.
“Notre Dame” my left nut, “Votre Prevaricator” is a far better description.

Comment by sfpitt 01.20.13 @ 11:02 am

Nicely said, SFPitt.

Not too many kudos here for Zanna’s turnaround yesterday. He conquered the yips.

Kudos, Talib!

Comment by steve1 01.20.13 @ 11:07 am

Zanna had an odd game – 6 points the first 5 mins of the game then 1 point the remainder on only 5 shots.

I like that Dixon has trended towards offense versus defense (Cam Wright only 4 minutes).

Seems like they are rounding into shape … hopefully, this Pitt team is the norm. I’m still a little disappointed in the 14 point lead going away but UCONN’s guards weren’t going to be cold the entire game. They came up big when they had to and as Dixon has always said – “They made their free throws when they counted”.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.20.13 @ 12:02 pm

Can’t relax with Providence and DePaul coming up. In the middle of the BE pack right now. Would be nice to get a bye in the BET by finishing in the top 8.
On a final 2012 football note, in the Raycom Div I & II All Star game in Montgomery ALA, Sir Tino finishes his collegiate career as the starting QB, losing 31-3, and going 8-18 with 105 yds, and 2 INT. Can’t blame that one on the O-line or coaching. Let the Savage-Voytik-Chapman era begin.

Comment by Bossdaws 01.20.13 @ 2:04 pm

Anybody know if we had a recruiting contingent at the game yesterday? This would have been a good one for those recruits who were on the fence about Pitt student enthusiasm regarding their athletic programs. A reall good vibe from the crowd in that one. The Zoo was full of excited animals yesterday!!!

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.20.13 @ 2:28 pm

Fittingly ended with starts…and fits…in AL.

Comment by steve1 01.20.13 @ 2:40 pm

lol Sal has some connections in Alabama obviously as well. To get him into an All-Star game of any kind would take some serious ones.

Sayonara

Comment by EMel 01.20.13 @ 4:39 pm

3-31 sounds about right. Wouldn’t you love to have made an All-Star game as a college player, only to find out, your QB is one
Sir Tino.

Oy Vey !

Comment by EMel 01.20.13 @ 4:41 pm

One last thing, I’ve never even heard of that All-Star game. Sort of like the Compass Bowl it just appeared out of nowhere….and in Alabama.

Both will probably be defunct next year.

;-)

Comment by EMel 01.20.13 @ 4:45 pm

@Bossdwas..Only need to be in top 10 to avoid Tuesday games this year since only 4 teams playing on Tuesday this year…no WVU and no UConn. Top 4 is what to shoot for.

Comment by milo bloom 01.20.13 @ 7:09 pm

thanks Milo. didn’t realize that. Won’t miss the obnoxious UConn and Hoopie fans at the Garden. HTP

Comment by Bossdaws 01.20.13 @ 7:40 pm