December 4, 2012

So,  my daughter wasn’t feeling well. Hanging out in the doctor’s waiting room after school. Checking the twitter feed. Amused at all the rumors of Mike Gundy possibly going to Arkansas rumors. Making jokes about Todd Graham and the SEC open coaching positions.

All was well until it turned out that Arkansas had managed to snag Bret Bielema from Wisconsin. Suddenly the bleep got real.

If there was one job every Pitt fan knew Paul Chryst would be likely to leave Pitt, it would be Wisconsin. His alma mater. He grew up there. His family really is from there and still lives there. He still has a great relationship with the Wisconsin athletic director. Honestly it would be the one job I could understand him leaving Pitt to take that would be mostly without much rancor from myself and most Pitt fans.

I– I just didn’t think the possibility would be after only one year.

Is it the BBVA Bowl? I think it might be the BBVA Bowl. Three straight years of accepting the bid to play in Birmingham. Three straight years of madness that follow. The ACC damn well better not sign any deals with Birmingham when bowl affiliations come up for renewal in a few years. Just can’t take that chance.

Still no reason to panic. No reason at all:

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

Big thanks to Souf_Oaklin for the much needed laugh. You really need to give them a follow on Twitter. Especially in times like this.

All seriousness aside, if Chryst goes to Wisconsin perhaps Steve should interview Youngstown States head coach.

Comment by MariettaMike 12.04.12 @ 6:37 pm
Marietta Mike 100% agree w/ u here what a beautiful game plan vs Pitt!

Comment by Punxy Panther 12.04.12 @ 7:57 pm

Marcus that could be may be we get are RB back.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.04.12 @ 7:58 pm

I think he stays but if he does go..Stevie p is gone. No way Pitt admin wont send him packing. Just to much negative attention on program.

I’m still concerned wisc will make a strong run at chryst. They pay a lot more and chryst is alum. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Barry Alvarez doesn’t take job himself.

Comment by why me 12.04.12 @ 8:05 pm

The one good point, if he leaves,, is the coming apocalypse means we won’t have to see an interim coach in the bowl game!

Comment by DCPinPGH 12.04.12 @ 8:13 pm

He said he’s staying. Thank god, I was just about to start smoking meth out of a light bulb.

Comment by Chris 12.04.12 @ 8:17 pm

chris were when did he say this that he is staying

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.04.12 @ 8:20 pm

Ive been doing that for the last hr and a half Chris.

Comment by toga toga toga 12.04.12 @ 8:21 pm

Dr Tom, think of it like this: I’m a Pitt alum, live and die. And I’m an assistant coach behind a guy who’s my age, and looks like he’ll be there for years.

So not wanting to become another Tom Bradley and wait too long, I finally get tired of waiting, and go become head coach at (say) Boston College or NC State or wherever.

And as luck or fate would have it, the Pitt job opens to everyone’s amazement on one year, the job I was born to have.

And now, I have a year’s HC experience on my resume! I took my team to a bowl despite a coach-killing nincompoop at QB.

And not only am I best buds with the Pitt AD, but my entire family lives there, it’s home! And it’s my alma mater!

All that’s a lot to overcome with the fledling at best (or more likely, no) REAL loyalty I have to BC or NC State, it was just the place I got my first opportunity.

THAT, my friend, is why the Wiscy job opening up might not be (hopefully not, but…) just any old job.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.04.12 @ 8:21 pm

Sorry but I wont believe anything until Wisconsin hires their new coach. Every story ive read so far said chryst will be top candidate for job.

Comment by why me 12.04.12 @ 8:21 pm

Pc just released a statement, typical tripe about commitment and bowl/ recruiting focus. If he leaves they better send sp with him, that would make four failed football hires. Maybe then we could get the script back, cause we won’t have a respectable football program!

Comment by The big a 12.04.12 @ 8:21 pm

If he leaves he is a piece of sh@$&?!

Comment by notrocketscience 12.04.12 @ 8:29 pm

@Chris. LMAO!!

Comment by Dan 12.04.12 @ 8:34 pm

sal more of fsu d coor. coach ed various times with jimbo, careful joe d.

Comment by paul shannon 12.04.12 @ 8:34 pm

For the last two months I have been saying that Pitt needed to extend Coach Chryst to meet what PSU did for O’brien (9 years). Our Athletic Director didn’t do that and he just doesn’t get it. Commitment is a two way street. It was obvious during the year that the team improved. It was also obvious Coach Chryst can recruit. Pederson does not give the administrative support to Coach Chryst because Coach Chryst is not a Pederson guy. Pederson had to make the hire because of a booster that actually understood what Pitt needed more than the AD. The AD wants Coach Chryst to fail, but now is leveraged. hahahahaha @ Pederson!

Pederson needs to go and has needed to go ever since the cluster he created at our program through the Wanny/Haywood debacle. Pederson has got to go because, if for nothing else, we are talking about coaching stability yet again. Try for once to be pro-active pederson, you jackwagon!

Comment by dhuffdaddy 12.04.12 @ 8:52 pm

SFPitt,
I’m satisfied with my WVU education, especially when I look at my paycheck. I spent far less than the average Pitt grad but probably make a hell of a lot more cash. Plus I’m not nearly as arrogant as you!
As far as Chryst. I hope he stays. He is a good coach and a good guy and the players deserve some stability. Sad that it will actually MAKE news if he stays. I wish more of these coaches would honor their commitment.

Comment by A-Wild 12.04.12 @ 8:56 pm

i read chryst statement it no were says i am staying at pitt i take it with a grain of salt
there are holes in that statement.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.04.12 @ 8:59 pm

f**k u a-wild. Get off the site. I grew up in WV, but I was smart enough to go to another state for my education.

Comment by panther94 12.04.12 @ 10:05 pm

Panther94,
If I were acting up and causing trouble, I could understand your language and behavior. I take an interest because I love college football and this is a good site for Pitt info. So if that bothers you sorry you will just have to learn to overcome.

Comment by A-Wild 12.04.12 @ 10:22 pm

Everybody, keep your pants on. Nobody has offered the Wisky job to Chryst….yet.

Should Chryst go there, and I would not blame him, then it is time for a massive blitz on Nordy to get rid of Smiling Steve and hire an AD who knows what he is doing.

Comment by Penguins Fan 12.04.12 @ 10:48 pm

Not my fault Walt!!

Comment by Conservative Panther 12.04.12 @ 10:51 pm

Hang on folks …….. !! We went thru this anguish when Dixon was offered a job at his home turf. Dixon stayed…. so there is no promise that PC will leave just because it’s home……..

Comment by Mtoolmn 12.04.12 @ 10:55 pm

Welcome a wild. Its always good to talk some trash in good natured fun and even better to have knowledgeable college football fans with opinions. I love the sport and my alma mater. This site is addictive but do keep the trolling to a minimum. But again, I welcome your comments. I hope others do as well. Yes we do have your school beat on academic arrogance…for good reason I might add, but the Nitters are the worst. I do hope the Cuse kicks your ass however in the Pinstripe. I did miss that Brawl this year. It was unfortunate that Luck was a chicken shit.

Comment by TX Panther 12.04.12 @ 10:55 pm

Nothing we can do here folks. If his heart is in Wisconsin then he is gone. No money will keep him. Nothing.
If he is who people say he is (a man of conviction of loyalty) then he stays.

If he stays he instantly shoots up as the most beloved PITT guy by all of us for passing on what appears to be his dream destination.

PITT should offer a longer contract with more money out of courtesy alone. Not because it will change his decision, one way or the other, but because it re-affirms PITT’s commitment to him

Damn BBVA Bowl jinx!!! Three visit and three coaching uncertainty. Damn I hate Birmingham.

HTP

Comment by PITT FAN in ATLANTA 12.04.12 @ 10:57 pm

Been browsing the Badgers Facebook and there’s little mention of Cryst. Many there want AD Barry Alvarez to take the reins for the Rose Bowl and beyond.

Comment by Mtoolmn 12.04.12 @ 11:29 pm