May 13, 2014

ACC Status Dull

Filed under: ACC,Conference,Football,Schedule — Chas @ 7:48 am

This week has the ACC spring meetings. Among the issues to be decided would be the conference schedule for football. Specifically, whether the ACC would go to 9 games.

Brief recap. After the joining of Syracuse and Pitt, the ACC decided to go to a 9 game schedule. This despite the complaints from GT, Clemson and especially FSU. All three have permanent rivalry games with their in-state SEC rival. To go to a 9 game schedule would make it harder for them to annually schedule 7 home games. This decision got rescinded after the Notre Dame maneuver. With Notre Dame rotating onto every ACC team’s schedule at least once every 3 years as a non-con — which is more frequently played than an actual conference opponent from the other division, excluding the protected rivalry game — it was seen as being too unfair to teams that had an out-of-conference rival.

[Just a brief aside, but the fit pitched by both Clemson and FSU over the issue of the 9th game at the time was cited by many as an issue that was driving those teams to look closer at the Big XII. Yet, the Big XII had already gone to a 9-game schedule, which seemed to be conveniently ignored.]

Now, with the coming playoff and emphasis on strength of schedule. The hope for an ACC Network (i.e., more inventory). And that the Big 10 was moving to a 9 game schedule. Well, that meant 3 of the major 5 conferences were already at that point. There was momentum to revisit and possibly return to that idea.

Full disclosure, I fully support a 9-game schedule. I think it provides better games. It is better for the conference to actually play everyone in the conference within a 3-year period rather than 6 years. And frankly, most programs have sucked at handling 4 non-con games. Opting for a low 1-A team and adding a 1-AA as well all for the puffery on the wins and to have seven home games.

The vote was going to be close. ADs and administrators for the schools in the ACC seemed evenly split. But Commissioner Ninja John Swofford quickly realized the votes weren’t going to be there.

No sooner had league officials convened at the Ritz-Carlton on Amelia Island, Fla., for their annual spring meetings — had anyone found time to scout the top-shelf tequilas at the oceanside bar? — did the ACC tweet the news that commissioner John Swofford is recommending that the status quo prevail. Moments later, Swofford emerged from behind closed doors and discussed the matter with several reporters in a hallway.

Not exactly SOP for XXL news — the ACC has debated for years whether to play eight or nine conference games. And certainly no way to lend any drama to proceedings that extend until Thursday.

Granted, a closing business session must vote on Swofford’s recommendation, but that’s a mere rubber-stamping. Swofford knows the temperature of the room and unveiled the decision only after conferring with the league’s 14 athletic directors, who were far from united — the vote was 8-6, according to a source, with Virginia’s Craig Littlepage preferring nine games, Virginia Tech’s Whit Babcock eight.

Kind of interesting there, since VT Coach Frank Beamer had previously endorsed nine games.

There is no change to the schedule format either. With the 6-1-1 schedule layout remaining: six divisional conference game, one “protected rivalry” game with a cross-divisional team, and one rotating conference game from the other division.

There is the sop of “requiring” teams to schedule at least one major conference opponent each year. A particularly low bar to clear.

Pitt AD Steve Pederson unfortunately has supported the status quo.

I prefer 9 games also.

However, if those are the cards we’re dealt, I can live with 8……….

as long as Smug schedules two BCS teams every year.

This coming year is the odd man out, I don’t know why, but the coming years the schedule is actually excellent.

Notre Dame, Iowa
Penn St., Oklahoma St.
Penn St., Oklahoma St.

If he keeps scheduling like that, I’ll live with it.

Comment by Dan 05.13.14 @ 8:11 am

Cool. 8 or 9 games makes no difference to me. I would love to know how much money is spent for all of these ADs to get together. Hope the weather is good for their golf games.

So, what do we know about recruiting? When do the camps start? Last year, as I recall, we captured a ton of commitments during those camps.

Who is on the radar as a must get? Who do we hope to get?

H2P

Comment by pmdH2P 05.13.14 @ 8:17 am

Not life or death, but nine games would be better for us. FSU and Clemson have in-state rival games every year, we should too, it should be mandated by our legislature.

Not sure I understand the concern about going to nine, it must have to do with money, it usually does.

Dan is right, with eight games you need two BCS opponents.

Comment by gc 05.13.14 @ 8:30 am

Chas – I’m glad someone on here actually keeps up with the off-field news and can explain it so well.

Thanks…

Note: What do we think Franklin & AD up at Happy Valley do after 2017? Keep on playing PITT?

Comment by Reed 05.13.14 @ 9:40 am

I’d still like WVU on the schedule sometimes also.

Comment by Reed 05.13.14 @ 9:40 am

In keeping with the “glad we’re not Rutgers” theme, the Knight news just gets worse:

link to nypost.com

Comment by TonyinHouston 05.13.14 @ 10:03 am

Pitt, WVU and Penn State… Annual Round Robin.

Not to mention the relative schools and fan bases… College Football as a whole would benefit.

And of course, so too would the Networks.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.13.14 @ 10:07 am

BREAKING NEWS…

FYI… ACC has decided to remain with an EIGHT Game Schedule.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.13.14 @ 10:12 am

@ TonyinHouston, Sad to think two young peoples lives down the toilet over a college bar fight. Young and stupid takes some painful casualties in life. Such a shame.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.13.14 @ 10:13 am

I imagine Notre Dame screwed up the chances of having nine league although one game every three years doesn’t mean predictably tough schedules every year.

Florida State wanted to sue WVU for backing out of a contract. I guess winning the national title changes your perspective turning 4-8 Florida into a beast.

So Swofford is protecting Florida State and Murphy’s Law-practitioner Clemson (2012 Orange Bowl vs. WVU; 2013 home game vs. FSU).

Note support for the nine game conference schedule by Miami.

Did anyone expect Cornhole to support nine games? What we have to look forward to is Notre Dame every three years, one BCS opponent, one MAC team, and one FCS school every year.

Comment by TonyinHouston 05.13.14 @ 10:28 am

Spirit:
Nordenberg and Pederson deserve some credit for throwing down the gauntlet last summer and instituting a zero tolerance policy for athlete miscreant actions. It seemed harsh at the time, bu,t in retrospect, it seems to be working. We do, however, have a long, hot summer to go.

Rutgers fired an abusive coach and hired an AD who had been accused of abusing players. Kyle Flood is under tremendous pressure with the Big Ten move coming up and calls for his dismissal.

And you’re absolutely right: two young lives down the toilet…and I would add…a very muddled climate at Rutgers about expectations.

Comment by TonyinHouston 05.13.14 @ 10:40 am

The ACC needs to tell Notre Dame to join or forget it. Somebody was not thinking when they agreed to the five game rotational. I think ND needs the conference more than the conference needs ND.

Most of the conference is hurt by the 8 game. We have trouble selling out and trouble scheduling as it is.

Absolutely no upside to playing Oklahoma State and Iowa. Pretty strong teams, but little upside for us if we win.

Meanwhile Peterson is the same guy who had a big hand in letting West Va game fall apart, and Penn State won’t play us until most of us are dead. We could use another conference game.

Comment by PittMan 05.13.14 @ 10:43 am

Actually, we have a 4 game series starting in 2016 with Penn State, with both ad’s on record as saying they would look into continuing the series after the 2019 game.

WVU, ehh, I guess I’ve softened a bit. I have a guilty pleasure watching them on an island with their closest Big 12 rival being about 1300 miles away in Iowa.

Notre Dame. Won’t happen for 5 years, that is what the contract is. They probably helped us in closing the Grant of Rights contract that secured the ACC for at least 15 years.

May be able to put more pressure on them in 5 years, knowing we already have the GOR.

The 9 games could add pressure.

Pressure will be added to the SEC and ACC yearly by the Big 10, Pac 12 and the Big 12.

They are already bitchin’ up a storm that the SEC and ACC are only playing 8 games, for competitive reasons regarding the college football playoff.

The pressure will only intensify yearly.

Especially if the SEC and ACC start sending two teams a piece yearly to the playoff, and/or if the National Champion is an SEC or ACC team yearly.

If you google it, you will see the bitching. The mindset is, the Big 5 conferences should all be playing 9 conference games for strength of schedule.

I don’t know about that argument though, if teams in the SEC and ACC play at least two BCS teams.

Example, in two years. How would it hurt Pitt playing Penn State and Oklahoma State instead of say, Wake Forest or Boston College for strength of schedule??

Anyhow, that’s their argument.

Comment by Dan 05.13.14 @ 11:32 am

The ACC and SEC will go to 9 games eventually. That 9th game is replacing a crap game on the Big 12, Pac 12, and Big 10 Schedules. It is good for the game and good for the fans. I cringe every time I hear or read that every team needs a “tune up” game. There are only 12 games in a college football season. We pay good money for all of the tickets and have a right to demand an actual football game in return.

Thinking out of the box, as long as we have 14 team conferences, that all want their own TV network, the conferences should go to a 10 game conference schedules. That would allow for the six teams in your divsion, one recurring cross over, and 3 of the remaining 6 for the other division each year. You would play every team in the conference at least once every other year. The final two games on the schedule would need to be against D1 teams. If you want the respect of the playoff committee, then schedule two higher end D1 teams.

Comment by HbgFrank 05.13.14 @ 11:34 am

When it gets down to it, their real bitch is the SEC teams schedules, that rarely play a team outside of the SEC that is any good.

One or two of them may play an early “for tv” game, but that is about it.

They are tired of the old “the SEC is so tough we beat up on each other” argument, and all they

see on their OOC schedules is Georgia Southern, Tennessee-Martin and Western Kentucky.

That’s the jist.

Comment by Dan 05.13.14 @ 11:38 am

@HbgFrank, I would love that as a fan!!!!!!!!!

Oh, also, the bitchin’ isn’t from just the fans, other coaches, AD’s, and conference commissioners have taken pot shots.

Mostly saying all big 5 should have the same amount of conference games.

From what I’ve seen, most of the pot shots have directly at the SEC.

Comment by Dan 05.13.14 @ 11:41 am

The first time somebody gets snubbed due to strength of schedule, you’ll get 9 games.

Comment by Yeti 05.13.14 @ 11:42 am

Whether it’s 8 or 9 conference games a year it really doesn’t really matter. In that the ACC is mandating at least one game against one of the teams from the top five conferences will mean that at least 9 games won’t be against the Little Sisters of the Poor. It will give teams a little added incentive to play an out of conference rival. Like Georgia Tech-Georgia, Florida State-Florida or Pitt against Penn State or West Virginia.

Comment by Justinian 05.13.14 @ 11:46 am

I believe the thinking is that one day ND will have to join a conference, and since they have a big foot in the door, it will be the ACC … just a guess.

Of course, even now, 5 conference games a season is a ratings boost and more $$ for the ACC

Comment by wbb 05.13.14 @ 11:54 am

I believe the SEC has already invoked the ‘at least one Big 5 non-con game per season’ rule

Comment by wbb 05.13.14 @ 11:56 am

@Dan, I always enjoyed the intense rivalry with West Virginia but I never have been able to harbor the distaste for the hoopies that I feel for Penn St. It wasn’t their fault they got forced into the Big 12 as they weren’t left with any other option, and if anything we screwed them over by going to the ACC. I have always respected the fact that they have extremely loyal fans and have tried to overlook the fact that they sometimes get carried away in the heat of the moment (burned couches, thrown coins etc.).

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.13.14 @ 12:01 pm

@spirit, oh, I feel the same. My hatred for Penn State is way out ahead of WVU. Not even close.

I respect others may have WVU as #1, especially the younger crowd, that may have only known WVU, so I get them.

Exactly the reason I’m probably so-so on the rivalry game coming back.

Hey, if they scheduled it, I’d be there and lovin’ it.

However, if in Smug’s mind we can only do one, I’d hope for PSU.

Hey, how about this, the ultimate fan’s schedule:

9 ACC conference games and

Penn State
WVU
Notre Dame

Now, that’d be a helluva year!!!

Comment by Dan 05.13.14 @ 12:25 pm

The only thing I’d say to the younger Pitt alums that have WVU as their #1 hatred, just give
Penn State a chance.

I know the “coach burning”, the “hicks” the “cousin is their sister, is their mother is their aunt” good stuff.

Wait till you get a taste of Penn State.

Aloof, condescending, holier than thou, “don’t even know who Pitt is anymore”, “you all wish you were Penn State”, “we’re the greatest thing since sliced bread”.

Just sayin’, give it a chance, I got a feeling your hatred is going to be ingnited in a few years.

Comment by Dan 05.13.14 @ 12:31 pm

couch burning, coach burning, whatever!! LOL

Comment by Dan 05.13.14 @ 12:32 pm

I absolutely detest PSU.
PITT has 3 rivals in my mind.
PSU
WVU
ND
I agree with you Dan
Let’s just schedule them the next 50years
Hail to PITT

Comment by Tackle made by Hugh 05.13.14 @ 1:06 pm

WVU v PSU

- WVU gave out an unearned MBA to the governor’s daughter
-their ex-football coach who the year before used a potential offer from Alabama to leverage a better contract, then sued WVU (his own alma mater) after he abruptly left the following year
- his successor asked some media members to dig up dirt on his soon to be successor
- the city of Morgantown passed an ordinance to outlaw couch burning
- a coin thrown from the WVU ADULT section hit a Pitt assistant BB coach in the forehead
- both their current head FB coach and BB coach have been involved in drunken and / or embarrassing incidents at casino/resorts
- the WVU student union offered to buy the obscene t-shirts that were being worn at the football games
- a pregnant LSU fan was assaulted in the parking lot by a WVU fan
- WVU sells beer at their stadium in an effort to DECREASE drunkenness by their fans
- their mascot uses his musket to shoot bears out of trees .. and tapes it.

- Sandusky perversion and cover-up

PSU wins (or loses) however you want to term it

Comment by wbb 05.13.14 @ 1:12 pm

I would like to see us schedule Army and Navy on alternate years. They always play us hard and they are traditional opponents.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.13.14 @ 1:13 pm

Thank you Cornhole.

I know we all look forward to our annual game against Maine, New Hampshire, Florida International, YSU or Buffalo. Or my favorite, Gardner Webb (sorry tino I know you enjoyed playing these guys so someone could bring up your stats again for review and tell us again how great you were)

As opposed to another conference game, which could be Clemson, NC State or Louisville.

Yep that will pack em in at Heinz !

Comment by Emel 05.13.14 @ 1:16 pm

@ wbb

But the Hoopies are more fun to make fun of.

And 13-9 is still fresh in their heads. I was going to say ‘minds’. But that might be a stretch.

Comment by Emel 05.13.14 @ 1:19 pm

@ The WVU mascot should be sent to Creepy Valley to shoot pedophiles out of trees. (and the bushes too)
:-)

Comment by Emel 05.13.14 @ 1:22 pm

Pitt is indeed cursed by being hemmed in by two uniquely deviant educational cultures. Ignorance, tooth decay, and incest to the South and of course the hated pedophile protectors to the East.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.13.14 @ 1:41 pm

And also sort of hemmed in to the west by another so-called iconic equally if not moreso obnoxious football school, The Ohio Fake Suburban Meyers.

Of whom the Stillers seem to be in love with, which is why imo they’re falling into mediocrity.

Comment by Emel 05.13.14 @ 1:49 pm

ACC announces that the ACC basketball tournament will now have the semi finals on Friday Nite and the Final Championship game on Saturday Nite, with an 8:30 tipoff !

As they continue to get more BigEast like !

As Goober, Gomer and Huckleberry Hound all got permission from their parents to stay out past 10 pm.

link to cbssports.com

Comment by Emel 05.13.14 @ 1:58 pm

Being an old 1974 Pitt grad, I think one reason for the greater dislike for Penn State over WVU was the 23-7-1 record that Paterno had against us. But in that 7 wins was the last game: the 12 to zip 2000 Pitt win and the November 1976 Pitt 24-7 victory when we were on our way to be National Champs. Then there was Jackie Sherrill accusing Paterno of “very unethical” conduct for sending the officials to inspect the cleats on Pitt’s team’s shoes prior to the ’78 game.

Comment by Tony in Hampton 05.13.14 @ 2:01 pm

@@@@@

Miss the Brawl. However scheduling a long
term deal with PSU makes more sense.
Playing WVU simply opens up the Wpial
for recruiting by the eer meanwhile
there is no apparent benefit for Pitt. Playing
and beating PSU helps Pitt in recruiting
against big mouth bragging Franklin.

Comment by JR 05.13.14 @ 2:14 pm

Since I am a taxpaying Pennsylvanian and help pay for all State and State related schools, I’d like the legislature to mandate that we play PSU and Temple every year. Good for Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and PA football. Helps us recruit in the eastern half of the state and New Jersey.

We have alumni in that area.

Comment by gc 05.13.14 @ 2:26 pm

I suspect we won’t be seeing Army or Navy on the schedule very much in the future. They do not count as a power 5 opponent. It’s possible they could be scheduled in place of a MAC opponent, but I’m not holding my breath.

Comment by Nick 05.13.14 @ 2:55 pm

Navy power-f’d us last season well enough last season regardless of conference affiliation. Although I still maintain that Vinopal did get a foot down in bounds on that interception in the 2nd half.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 05.13.14 @ 3:13 pm

I agree to keep the FB money in PA and not to WV. Temple puts a good team on the field occasionally. Army, Navy and AF are D1 programs so big 5 conferences should include them. I cannot believe they would exclude the academies.

Comment by Frank MD 05.13.14 @ 3:17 pm

One game every year should be PSU.

Even it’s on a weekend day in mid-January at a piece of grass somewhere between Greensburg and Altoona.

I agree – the younger Pitt fans will grow to despise them as much as us old guys.

Comment by Mill 05.13.14 @ 3:27 pm

gc, If we are choosing opponents based on taxes paid then the Army and Navy stack up way ahead of Temple.

I am a little surprised there isn’t more desire to play WVU being shown here. They are certainly an opponent in recruiting. There is also a history of amazing games. Everything from 35 point comebacks to probably our greatest all time upset. The Brawl was a lot of fun.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.13.14 @ 3:41 pm

@emel, the Mountaineer, to shoot the Peds!!

Classic!!!

@wbb, wow, I forgot about some of those.

@spirit, all for the military academies any time they’d like to play. Love Annapolis, love West Point too, but it’s been many years since I visited there.

Comment by Dan 05.13.14 @ 3:45 pm

Dan, are you ready?

Comment by steve1 05.13.14 @ 3:53 pm

@steve1, yes, but probably not as much as you!!

You guys have all the momentum!!

I prefer to watch and enjoy, other teams game 7′s knowing my team is alreay in!! ha ha ha

Best of luck to ya, either way, H2P!!

Comment by Dan 05.13.14 @ 4:16 pm

And to you too, Dan.

Whatever happens, we still have our undefeated Panthers.

Comment by steve1 05.13.14 @ 4:24 pm

When does hoops start in Greentree?.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.13.14 @ 4:26 pm

@ Dan – if it weren’t for the fact that they are playing the Rangers, I’d be rooting for the Pens. Agree about watching other teams’ game 7s but I think this has been a great series to watch and I’m sorry it has to end tonight. I hope we get a game that both sides can enjoy until it inevitably has to end.

Good luck to you!

And H2P!!!

Comment by Pitt Dad 05.13.14 @ 4:35 pm

Hate to say it but have to go with the hot goalie

Comment by wbb 05.13.14 @ 6:08 pm

Obviously, the SEC scheduling of the other Big 5 conferences starts in 2015.

The new coach of that school to the NE of PITT, had a lot of say in this years Vanderbilt’s OOC scheduling.

How’s this for a home slate – Temple, UMASS Charleston Southern, & Old Dominion. You do get to see Ole’ Miss, SoCar, Florida & Tennessee.

Since Vandy also plays Kentucky & Miss St., I expect and 8-4 or better record & the coach in waiting for the soon to be open Pedo st. job as Franklin is pushed for a NFL job by ESPN.

Comment by PITT-cocks fan 05.13.14 @ 6:45 pm

wbb, Lundqvist is the iceman….so far, at least.

Comment by steve1 05.13.14 @ 7:13 pm

oops

Comment by steve1 05.13.14 @ 7:15 pm

Rationalizing here… If the Pens win it I’ll be rooting for ‘em to go all the way.

Why? 2 Dartmouth grads, Stepniak and Glass are Pens.

(My son’s a Dartmouth grad)

Comment by steve1 05.13.14 @ 7:24 pm

WVU blows but penn state SUCKS!

Comment by Dr. Tom 05.13.14 @ 8:21 pm

If the state of Texas cannot require Texas A&M and UT to play every year, it’s doubtful Pennsylvania can require Penn State to play in-state rivals. The Texas legislature has a history of interfering in college athletics, but they seem impotent to force a rivalry game now. PA legislature has never interfered, have they?

The on campus stadium chatter seems to have died out for now, but, hell, it’s the dead season so why not bring it up?

Within 3 miles of my house two new stadiums have gone up. BBVA Stadium abuts downtown for pro soccer and UH’s new college football stadium rises above its campus.

These stadiums have been constructed in the very dense inner city core of Houston. Old buildings and structures were torn down to make room.

Where there’s a will there’s a way. And, of course, $$.

Comment by TonyinHouston 05.13.14 @ 8:31 pm

Welcome to the South, fellas. Reading now about how the SEC’s little brother the ACC showed solidarity by choosing to go with eight conference games. Thinking about Pitt never seems to bring up SEC football but…

Someone call up Cornhole and tell him to start looking for an SEC team to play every year.

Comment by TonyinHouston 05.13.14 @ 8:36 pm

Lundqvist

Comment by steve1 05.13.14 @ 8:43 pm

A hot goalie in the Stanley Cup playoffs is like a hot-shooting guard in the NCAA tourney

Comment by wbb 05.13.14 @ 8:43 pm

Adams in for Oak City.

Comment by alcofan 05.13.14 @ 8:53 pm

PITT-cocks, What are you talking about!

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 05.13.14 @ 9:08 pm

PittMan, PITT needed the Notre Dame game more than the ACC. That game on the schedule was one of the last links to the legend of PITT Big Time Football.

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 05.13.14 @ 9:11 pm

Under no circumstances do I want to renew a football/MBB series with Cheat Lake Community College. Things are beginning to get dicey for them in both sports and their demise is only to our benefit. It was Ollie Luck who took them to the Big 12! Sorry that they can’t handle the athletic or financial competition! SOS 22 kindly explain how “we screwed them over by going to the ACC.” That is fiction and absolute BS! Those who have any fond memories of that rivalry never went to Morganhole for a game. Objects flew out of the stands on a regular basis, including whiskey bottles, rocks, etc. Their new stadium alcohol policy would only make it worse. Hail to Pitt! UPone

Comment by UPone 05.13.14 @ 9:44 pm

WVU must stay on an island. Do not schedule them, ever. They are a 5-7 season away from getting a new coach. Now that would be funny.

Pitt should schedule UCF or USF to spend more time in flurrrrrida. Just my opinion, but strategy matters. Pitt does not have to worry about strength of schedule for a few years and both of those teams give a florida recruit opportunities to play in front of friends and families. Maryland would be a good game too. Midland teams are just fine.

Sure hope we start getting a recruit or three in the coming weeks. Does anyone know why the scout site only has Pitt with 2 commitments, yet the list shows three?

Comment by dhuffdaddy 05.13.14 @ 10:14 pm

Oy vey

The Guins have developed a reputation now for choking in the p’offs. Think that was the first time ever NY came back from a 3-1 games deficit in p’offs. And they were in original 6 team so we’re talking long time here.

Our 2 big guns did little in totality. Fleury would have had to have his 3rd shutout in the series for the Pens to win. That hardly if ever happens, 3 shutouts in 4 win series.

Time to make some serious changes.

As far as WVcc & Ped State, I say screw them both, we certainly don’t NEED either now.

Comment by Emel 05.13.14 @ 10:42 pm

Old Pitt Grad…
Not the first time or the last that I will disagree with you. You said the words yourself…legend of pitt football. Sorry, but none of that exists anymore. You’re holding onto the past. Our future is in the ACC. If ND is a part of that, then even better. But, don’t try to hold onto the past in lieu of our future. What happens to corporations that don’t continue to reinvent themselves? They cease to exist. Don’t get me wrong, OPG, you have my respect as a Pitt alum. I just respectfully disagree.

Comment by panther94 05.13.14 @ 11:03 pm

@Old Pitt Grad

After 4 beers what I see as relevant to a thread concerning OOC scheduling may not make sense to anyone but me.

Comment by PITT-cocks fan 05.14.14 @ 5:59 am

I want Pitt to get outside of the geographic region to schedule football teams. Part of the excitement of bowl games is playing a team you almost never see. Let’s do that with big 5 conference teams. Why not trade home and home with: California, Kansas State, Oregon State, Tennessee, Washington, UCLA etc. Or since we think we’re so intellectual, schedule Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt.

Comment by Caw Miller 05.14.14 @ 6:46 am

Last night Steve Adams shoots 4-5 against the likes of Blake Griffin and Baby Doc Davis. I guess he didn’t need that extra yr of college.

Comment by alcofan 05.14.14 @ 7:10 am

We gotta get the Habs, not the Bruins. Here’s why

link to youtube.com

Comment by steve1 05.14.14 @ 7:16 am

@steve1, congrats to you. KING HENRIK!!

A lot of moves going to happen here in the Burgh.
Coach, GM, some players.

I’ll cheer for you. Anyone but Boston. Nope, not because Boston beat the Pens last year.

Have a couple cousins up in Boston, love em’ as family, but so loud and obnoxious. Not a fan.

@wbb, great analogy.

Comment by Dan 05.14.14 @ 7:57 am

Dan, I agree about rooting for the Rangers as strange as it seems about pulling for a nYC team. But, more importantly, it is rooting for whoever is playing Flyers and the Bruins (who have replaced the Caps as most disliked)

Comment by wbb 05.14.14 @ 8:42 am

Agreed. Pens v Caps was fantastic. Caps fans have to be really frustrated.

Comment by Dan 05.14.14 @ 9:06 am

Upone, I have been to Morgantown a fair amount dating back to when they held the old Eastern 8 basketball tournament at the Coliseum. I don’t remember any whiskey bottles being thrown but I do remember when a guy on our bus got drunk and got arrested for vandalizing cars after Hoffstetter beat us on a 4th quarter drive in 83. West Virginia fans aren’t the only ones who have done stupid stuff over the years. At least they have the excuses of inbreeding and ignorance to fall back on.

The contests in football and basketball have tons of history and tradition. I understand this is 2014 and nobody sees any advantage in respecting the past any more.

The reason I say we screwed WVU is we were linked to them in hoops, playing 2 or 3 times a season for over 50 years. much of that time they were way better than us but we always played. In football we beat them at one point about 30 years in a row, but they kept trying and finally got to a point where they have been better than us for a while now. When Penn State quit playing us in football they also quit scheduling Syracuse and WVU. Since that time those 3 programs have hung together keeping the traditional eastern rivalries intact. When we joined Syracuse to join the ACC, WVU was not welcome and was forced into the only Major Conference that would have them, the Big 12. Make no mistake though Syracuse and Pitt screwed the Hoopies by not insisting they be part of the new ACC.

I am died in the wool PITT, and I hate Penn State and cheer for their opponent every week. I hate WVU only when they are playing us and otherwise wish them well. Besides I have always found it fun to make fun of them.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 11:18 am

WVcc of course couldn’t see how the course of events would play out in ExpansionPalooza, but had they waited and not jumped into the Big 12 when they did, they perhaps would have been chosen to replace Maryland.

Not Louisville.

Only at that time, when both PITT and Cuse were already in the ACC could they maybe have exerted some influence of who would have replaced Maryland. I don’t think either were in the position to do much influecing before then.

If you remember PITT was wanted by the Big 12 long before Wvcc, PITT didn’t jump…. waited and thankfully we got the ACC bid.

Comment by Emel 05.14.14 @ 11:52 am

@spirit. I’m not so sure Pitt and Syracuse screwed them. All three were adrift in the water. I don’t think we were in any position to tell the ACC, if you don’t take WVU, we’re not coming then.

Would have been nice, would have thought WVU and UCONN would have been an excellent fit if the conferences decided to go to 16.

There was no saving the Big East, even if those 3 had stayed. The ship had sailed.

The new tv contracts were coming, ESPN wasn’t going to throw power conference money at the Big EAST for Pitt, Syracuse, and WVU football.

We would have been left behind in the American Conference. Might have stayed together for an extra year or two, that’s it.

Also, if Pitt and Syracuse said no, guess what, UCONN and Louisville would have been gone, to the ACC, so we wouldn’t have them to help prop up the conference.

Notre Dame saw the writing on the wall. They weren’t sticking around to have all of their other sports NOT be in one of the 5 power conferences.

I don’t think we screwed them at all. We did what we had to do, and thank goodness we did.

Comment by Dan 05.14.14 @ 12:06 pm

@Emel, ACC didn’t want the hoopies because of academics and they were lucky to get in the Big 12. They had no choice after Pitt and Syracuse left them without a seat in the musical chairs game. They jumped at the only for sure seat available and would have been foolish not to. They don’t have much to offer as far as TV audience or academics. To be honest the Big 12 might have screwed up by taking them. That doesn’t change the fact that we linked to them competitively for about a century and some of the games were amazing. We are just lucky we didn’t get shut out in the realignment mess.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 12:10 pm

Also, at the time, the ACC was still dealing in only schools with high academic standards and being a member of the (can’t think of it right now), American Association of Univ.???? was a big deal.

Now, when pickin’s got slim and they needed a team, they had to offer Louisville, so, after the fact, WVU may have gotten in.

Before that, there were only two spots open anyhow, they weren’t looking for 3 teams.

Comment by Dan 05.14.14 @ 12:14 pm

@spirit, no doubt, linked for a 100 years. Sad situation.

Contrary to even some of my own comments over the years, I get no joy in seeing them on an island.

That only comes in my mind, when I see a WVU troll or loudmouth. Then it kicks into full gear.

Everything being equal, I’d love them to be in the ACC and still playing them every year.

Comment by Dan 05.14.14 @ 12:16 pm

Agree with commentaries about psu fans.Arrogant is the word .Last ps/PITT game at tThree Rivers sat next to 2 older dudes like me and a 20 something. I commented about one of their players being arraigned on criminal charges which upset the young guy.Pitt forged ahead before half and won. The young guy disappeared at half. The older guy next to me explained ,he and the other older guy were Pitt alums the younger guy(his son) was a PS alum and could not bear watching PITT THOROUGHLY and defensively beat State so he left. In the 50s Psu and Notre Dame fans were both intolerable but with less subway alum for fans ND fans have become tolerable.PS fans worse and a lot of the Ps fans are from NJ, not even Pa.They are elitist NY city suburbanites. I used to follow their fancy motor homes covered with PS signs and NJ plates west on I78 and I80 while returning to western Pa. at the end of my work week in the 70s and 80s.

Comment by Pitt 60 05.14.14 @ 12:28 pm

Psu is the one game that should happen every year. I agree with earlier posts wvu and nd are rivals but pitt and psu is a pure hatred cival war. I live and grew up about a 45 min drive from happy valley. Thanks to my grandfather i was born into a diehard pitt fan. After the 7 to 6 pitt lose in the 70s my paps neighbors drapped his whole house in blue and white toilet paper deflated a football and threw it in front lawn

Comment by zach 05.14.14 @ 1:03 pm

Im 31 and i hate psu. The only thing i give them credit for is the psu creamery sure does make good ice cream i wear my pitt shirts proud make i make any trip to state college. When i chosing a college to attend my dad u can go to pitt or any other college in this country ud break my heart if u went to psu

Comment by zach 05.14.14 @ 1:08 pm

Im a diehard pitt fan and always will hate psu. I stayed close to home for school proud alum of SFU. Penn state sucks

Comment by zach 05.14.14 @ 1:11 pm

My oldest graduated Pitt 09 but my youngest despite being raised better chose Penn St. I have to admit he has gotten a first rate education and better job opportunities than I ever imagined. He still loves Pitt basketball but has been unfortunately indoctrinated into the Penn State football. Otherwise he is a great son and I couldn’t be prouder. I guess you still love your children no matter what they do. For awhile I even found myself hoping they would win some of their Big 10 games. After 4 years of this though, I have finally regained my senses and have started hating Penn State as much as ever. I guess there is no end to the sacrifices we are willing to make for our children.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 1:24 pm

I was at the November 1979 WVU game at their old stadium sitting with a small group of Pitt fans when we started getting pelted with stones. My wife of 5 months (also a Pitt grad) flagged down a security guard from the stands, but his helpless waving of his hands in the air was an “it’s out of my control” gesture. I never wanted to win a sporting event more in my life (and I coached 4 of my kid’s sports teams). Though Pitt was the dominant team it wasn’t decided until Marino took a knee after a Jo Jo Heath interception off of an Oliver Luck errant pass (yep, that Oliver Luck). Pitt 24 – Stone-Chuckers 17. Burgh Heaven.

Comment by Tony in Hampton 05.14.14 @ 1:29 pm

I guess saying we screwed WVU isn’t really accurate. It was more like we left our friends and family and moved on for a better opportunity despite the fact that it left them in a precarious spot. We could expect they would have done the same if the situation was reversed. When it is all said and done I think that Notre Dame is the real problem causer. Why do they deserve preferred status and all the tribute with half the commitment. I think without the Irish things would have worked out better for the rest of us and until we are all equal members in the conference everybody is still at risk.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 1:35 pm

Nice comments, nice conversation for a muggy spring day. Enjoyed all of your comments this morning.

Comment by Dan 05.14.14 @ 1:37 pm

@Pitt60, I enjoyed your comments on the final game played in 2000, do you happen to remember how many points the State boys amassed that day?

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 2:00 pm

I attended the last college game EVER at 3 Rivers.

Pitt’s big win over the Morganholers, 38-28.

Kevin Barlow ran roughshod over the Hillbillies.

“The football rivalry is the 14th oldest in the United States and is typically shown on national television. In the past, the Backyard Brawl has been seen on ABC, CBS, ESPN, and ESPN2. Through the 104 games played between these two schools, Pitt leads the series 61–40–3. ”

I like our record better against the Hoopies than against the Pedo’s.

Comment by Emel 05.14.14 @ 4:25 pm

@ sos22

WVcc academics is no worse than Louisville.

Had they waited, I think the ACC takes them over L-ville. Much better geographic and cultural fit.

Plus the ACC needed another school, everyone could make fun of !

Comment by Emel 05.14.14 @ 4:27 pm

Emel, Your suggestion sounds good in retrospect but I respectfully disagree. When Pitt and Syracuse left WVU was actually turned away for both academics and because they added so little to the TV market. When that happened there was a panic slide of effect, that had WVU being a likely outsider in the rush to get a seat in a major conference. If they hadn’t become pro active in chasing down a slot they might well have been on the outside looking in. When they were fortunate enough to sneak into the Big 12 ,on the strength of their athletic successes, there was a large breath of relief taken. Although academically Louisville is no bastion of knowledge they at least represent another wing of TV audience and a very competitive athletic presence. I not only don’t think WVU could get in the ACC now but I also don’t think they are all that safe in the Big 12. They don’t fit and and don’t add anything. That is the kind of deal that goes south when push comes to shove. We just barely made the cut ourselves IMHO.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 5:06 pm

Emel, Do you have the stats on the hoop history against southern neighbors? The WVU series historically had some of the worst home cooking officiated games I recall in my lifetime of watching basketball. Both ways. I’ve seen games we got flat out robbed and I’ve seen games we stole.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 5:13 pm

No problemo sos22, we can’t agree on everything.

And you are correct sir even with our Academics and storied football history and current above average hoops program…..we did barely just make the cut ourselves. Thanks to BC and Mr. Gene DeFilippo.

And that’s the point, being that we did barely just make the cut, we were in no position to bring any pressure on the ACC to invite WVcc as well.

Comment by Emel 05.14.14 @ 5:45 pm

2nd question.

PITT vs Hillbillies all time in hoops.

Wvcc 96 wins PITT 88 wins

Series started in 1906

Comment by Emel 05.14.14 @ 5:49 pm

WVU is a geographical nightmare for the rest of the conference. The other 9 schools run North and South up and down the great plains. then There is WVU over a thousand miles to the East with no TV market and very little in the way of athletic prestige and no academic respect. The only reason they are in the conference is because they haven’t been able to steal anyone to replace them.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 5:49 pm

Agree, it’s also a logistical nightmare for all the Big 12 schools and WVcc for all basketball games.

And all the Olympic sports teams.

Whatever money the Billies are making on football they’re sending it right back out in all kind of expenses.

Comment by Emel 05.14.14 @ 5:56 pm

In 1924 Wvcc traveled to Pittsburgh to play PITT at the Motor Square Garden.

I believe the Garden was in East Liberty, later became a Cadillac dealership.

Comment by Emel 05.14.14 @ 6:00 pm

Emel, Obviously you are right that we didn’t have much choice or say. I still felt guilty. It is kind of like not standing up for your moron cousin in a street fight. I want to beat the shit out of the hoopies, but don’t like the idea of anyone else mistreating them.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 6:01 pm

Actually they fit in pretty well academically in the Big 12. As other than Texas & TCU, not much is thought of academically of OK. State, OK, Iowa St., K-State, etc.

Comment by Emel 05.14.14 @ 6:03 pm

The 2009 Backyard Brawl was the most watched game in the history of ESPN2.

Comment by Emel 05.14.14 @ 6:05 pm

We used to get homered regularly in hoops at Morgantown and I saw us get ripped off there more than once but once at the Field House the officials gave us one. The place was jammin’ with a sardine packed house, complete with Tiger Paul, and Jim Catlett’s team had the lead into the last minute. There were a couple home cooked calls and then we brought the ball full court with less than 5 seconds left still down 1. I think it was Tom Richards who hit Larry Harris with a half court pass in the corner. He turned mid air and drained a corner jumper that only touched twine as the buzzer cemented the win. Catlett was so pissed off he vowed to never play in the Field House again.

I saw Larry Harris a couple years ago and shook his hand and asked him if he remembered the shot. He told me it was one of the happiest moments of his life. It made my top 10 too, Thanks Larry.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 6:18 pm

The 2009 game is something they can’t take away from Wanny. He might have had his shortcomings but that was his finest moment. Maybe the biggest Pitt upset in my lifetime. It wasn’t any accident either we had the best team that night.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 6:27 pm

Emel, How pathetic can the Big 12 be if WVU is a good academic fit. One could get brain damage just thinking about it.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.14.14 @ 6:57 pm

Think you’re thinking of the 2007 game sos22.

The one that knocked the Hoopies “out” of the National Championship game. 13-9

PITT was a 28 point underdog.

As far as Big 12 academics, I believe that was one of the factors of Texas wanting to possibly join the PAC 12, which has Stanford, Berkeley,USC & UCLA. All Top 25 academically rated schools. And UW is comparable to PITT.

Comment by Emel 05.15.14 @ 12:42 pm

Emel, Sorry it was 07 , thanks.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.15.14 @ 1:43 pm