January 8, 2014

Morning, everyone. The deep freeze may be coming to an end but a third day of no school for the kids further disrupts life.

Amidst the hoopla for the last BCS Championship game, the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) released their Freshman All-American Team.

Tyler Boyd made the squad, so one more accolade for him and this Pitt squad.

After the Maryland-Pitt game, I flipped over to the BCS Championship and checked out the Film Room, thing that ESPNnews had running. Mainly because Paul Chryst was part of it. I got hooked because it was pretty interesting.

I saw some complaints that Chryst wasn’t as dynamic and active as Texas A&M’s Sumlin and BC’s Addazio, but that shouldn’t have surprised anyone. And I mean anyone. Not only are both more personable in their press conferences and interviews, they had a lot more time to prepare. As in a couple of weeks at least. Chryst was a last minute switch over the weekend. It was supposed to be Charlie Strong, but after he left Louisville for Texas he also bailed on the gig. Naturally the already taciturn Chryst isn’t going to just, um, blather too much.

As for any complaints that he missed out on a chance to be recruiting kids through the TV. No.

The actual ratings were miniscule (though, it got plenty of Twitter buzz). I’m not buying that high school recruits for 2015 and beyond were watching this game with coaching commentary going. The best it did with recruiting for Sumlin and Addazio is it reinforces to the recruits they already have, that that is their coach. Maybe, gives them a little more juice to make their pitch to kids — though, it is unlikely Sumlin needs it. Primarily, it sets up Sumlin and Addazio for TV studio or analyst work after they are done coaching (or fired).

It gives all three programs some extra exposure which is good. Chryst may not have been smooth, but he clearly looked to be in his element. Just talking about football and the game. He had no glaring screw-ups. He didn’t pick his nose on TV or scratch inappropriately.

I’d rather have him doing that, and getting some more exposure for Pitt than not doing the gig.

I do like the Clemente ball cap as well.

Comment by TX Panther 01.08.14 @ 4:38 pm

FWIW, my 2 picks for a freshman seeing action on defense next year are:

Shane Roy 6’5 220 DE from Cincy

Pat Amare 6’2 180 CB from Philly
Comment by wbb 01.08.14 @ 3:39 pm

………

From what Amara has been tweeting, Cal and an unnamed SEC school are giving late offers recently..seems he really impressed at the HS bowl-whatever it was. Seems like he has a good work ethic and really wants to be at Pitt..(pretty much the model of PC’s recruiting tactic)

I also think he’ll play next year.

And ofcourse Roy at DE..need bodies on the ends for sure.

Good call wbb

Comment by NOPE 01.08.14 @ 5:00 pm

Surprise freshmen will be Avonte Maddox returning kicks.

He’s got some jets!

Comment by Jimbo 01.08.14 @ 5:09 pm

Herndon was recruited to play DT i have posted this many times a 325 pound DT

Comment by Frankcan 01.08.14 @ 5:43 pm

Does Chryst trust anyone without Wisky ties?

Comment by TX Panther 01.08.14 @ 6:17 pm

Anyone see, or hear what Michael Young put on his twitter??

Just heard the end of a conversation on The Fan, they had been talking about it.

Comment by Dan 01.08.14 @ 6:29 pm

@ Nick, DUH, I feel sooo stupid, thats it right there, plus like wbb says a cold November football up in Pittsburgh doesn’t fly like a warm October football in Virginia, actually Maryland.

@ Frankcan, well that’s where Herndon belongs, the ESPN recruiting sight has him listed by position on the Offensive Line.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.08.14 @ 6:35 pm

Dan, I just did:

Mike Young ?@ShowtimeDeuce 7h
I’m better than I ever was but treated as if I never was

Mike Young ?@ShowtimeDeuce 18h
Never been told not to shoot the ball til I got here #SMH

If true, I’m surprised he is unhappy. He seems like a team player.

Comment by steve1 01.08.14 @ 6:54 pm

Watch Herndon on Utube. Played a lot of middle linebacker. Looks fairly quick for a man of his size. Doesn’t appear to be fat. He looks like a Giant against the Lilliputians.

Be a little surprised if he doesn’t redshirt.

The new S&C coach is a promotion from within. It looks like that is Chryst’s style. I always found that it was a good way to manage when possible.

When you promote from within it makes everyone work harder. It also shows loyalty which is always to be valued.

Comment by gc 01.08.14 @ 6:55 pm

I hate Twitter

Comment by gc 01.08.14 @ 6:58 pm

Blair had 15 and 9 on Monday. He returns to San Antonio right now on ESPN

Comment by wbb 01.08.14 @ 7:04 pm

DR Tom i have read on recruiting sites he is recruited as a DT and if you go to rival commit site you will see he is listed as a DT
i dont go to espn very much i think rival has better info,

Comment by Frankcan 01.08.14 @ 8:12 pm

Watching John Johnson. Ho hum.

Comment by steve1 01.08.14 @ 8:38 pm

Petrino & Petino together now huh….Infidelity U.

I’ll bet the Papa John’s pizza dude had something to do with this…

Comment by Jackagain 01.08.14 @ 9:02 pm

UMass just came from behind to beat St. Joe’s at home. Of course fatso will still say they’re better than Pitt on Sunday…

Comment by Jackagain 01.08.14 @ 9:08 pm

both Hendon and Dontino are listed as OL and DL on different sites. They are both big boys

Comment by wbb 01.08.14 @ 9:09 pm

Is Mike Young really unhappy?? If so, that sucks! You would think that a freshman would be happy about starting and getting major minutes on a team as good as PITT.

Comment by Jason 01.08.14 @ 9:25 pm

some sites say franklins plane went to penn state i hope it is a fulse report franklin will kill us at recruiting.we will be toast.

Comment by Frankcan 01.08.14 @ 9:42 pm

Young better not be unhappy, starting as a freshmen and getting tons of minutes and we are winning! I hate twitter too! He probably got yelled at practice and had a knee jerk reaction on twitter. Hope he isn’t too upset, I like him and Artis! Feel good about the team. That’s just what we need!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 01.08.14 @ 9:45 pm

if mike young is pissed it could divide the team and screw this year up dixon needs to show some love and get this fixed

Comment by Frankcan 01.08.14 @ 9:46 pm

One of these yahoos calling the OK State/Texas hoops game just blabbered about the strength of the Big 12 and how they have three teams with an ESPN “power index” in the top 10. OK State’s is #10 in the BPI and is ranked 11. Pitt’s BPI is #5.

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 01.08.14 @ 9:47 pm

Tyrique Jarrett at 350 pounds and Mike Herndon at 340 pounds should be run stoppers and pocket collapsers. Dintino will probably come in at 310. Great defenses are predicated on a great pass rush or run blitz scheme. Those are two hefty bodies with talent that will actually e much bigger than their OL counterparts. Exciting news if you ask me. We will not be undersized on the DL that is for sure.

I thought Pitt controlled the twitter and actually had rules against the athletes using twitter? If they don’t, they should. Nothing kills a locker room faster than uncontrolled social media. Underclassmen should not be able to tweat, twerp, twang until they are juniors. No my facespace either.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 01.08.14 @ 9:48 pm

the trouble with twitter is you share all of your feelings which normally are only shared with close friends. I hate my job and boss at least 3 times a week but always in retrospect, they’re not really so bad after all.

He may have had a really bad time at practice yesterday and let his emotions get the best of him. I wouldn’t make a mountain out of a molehill … just yet

Comment by wbb 01.08.14 @ 9:48 pm

Thought this was about football.I get sick and tired of Pgh.media on pro sports all the time and I cant stand pro baseball, besides who gives a ~~~~~~~ about pirate logos or even old Pitt ones. Some of you guys are starting to sound like verbal diharia.

Comment by Pitt 60 01.08.14 @ 9:49 pm

Here is some updated diharia (lol) diarrhea. Alabama just lost their offensive coordinator to Michigan. This could be problematic for Robert Foster with a new offensive regime coming in. Another new system, which will be two in two years. Time will tell but if he is looking to get out, now is better than next year if the wrong OC is hired.

Maybe I am just sayin, or maybe I am just hopin…Would be great for a change of heart. Time will tell.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 01.08.14 @ 10:02 pm

pitt 60, I’m sorry you are being held hostage in your own home with a gun to your head forcing you to read this blog.

Perhaps the best solution is to change the discussion to a subject that better suits you.

Oh, I see Chas may have done that for you

Comment by wbb 01.08.14 @ 10:06 pm

Wait, you guys can hear me?

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 01.08.14 @ 10:08 pm

dhuff, Maybe this would motivate Foster to come back. In addition to a fine WR, he was a heck of a DB which Pitt can always use.

I was disappointed that he chose Bama but I never held it against him for choosing arguably the best FB program

Comment by wbb 01.08.14 @ 10:23 pm

Foster is long gone guys. No way he transfers anywhere, simply because he can’t afford to sit out an additional year waiting to become eligible at another school.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.09.14 @ 7:08 am