September 5, 2013

Using the Boyd

Filed under: Football,Players — Chas @ 7:08 am

One of the biggest positives coming out of Monday night — and there were a few — was that Tyler Boyd might be better than believed.

On the fourth play of the Panthers’ opening drive, he took off on a “jet sweep” around right end and gained 18 yards.

The drive resulted in a short-lived, 7-0 lead.

Boyd ran the play twice more for 20 and 16 yards. His 54 yards on three carries led the Panthers in rushing.

“I was very surprised,” he said. “When I got that first jet, I didn’t think I’d be as open as that. And the second one, they just kept opening it up for me. After that it was, like, totally comfort. I was ready for them to put the ball in my hands.”

After a first half with no catches, the 6-foot-2, 185-pound Boyd in the third quarter turned an apparently errant sideline pass from Tom Savage into a diving, highlight-worthy grab worth 17 yards. He later plucked a pass off his shoe tops for a 9-yard gain.

One of 12 first-year freshmen who played, Boyd also accounted for 71 yards on three kickoff returns, including one for 35 yards.

“I could have made more plays, but I made enough plays to do right, do good,” he said.

He was given kick-off return duties at the end of the 2d quarter. As a freshman receiver he had five touches. And the issue now, is that he needs to get the ball in his hands even more. Yeah, that’s a good problem.

A very good problem.

Pitt coach Paul Chryst won’t deviate too much from his traditional pro-style offense and do anything crazy with Boyd, but he admitted that it was important to find ways to get the ball in Boyd’s hands.

“I feel real confident that we can do it within the parameters of the offense,” Chryst said. “I don’t feel like we’ve got to get out of box. We want to make sure that the guys that can make plays are continuing to get touches.”

The thing that surprised me was seeing what a natural receiver he is. We knew he had speed and versatility. But how to translate/utilize that athletic ability to the college level was still a bit of a question mark. Justin and Reed both stated that he looked tremendous in practices catching the ball, but seeing him do that in game was still a very pleasant surprise.

That’s important since, as FSU showed, teams are going to be all over Devin Street. Manasseh Garner and the other TEs can help a little. To really open the field up, though, having a second WR is vital. Boyd has already made it obvious that he is that guy.

Boyd showed he can run the football really well.

But with nearly 6,000 yards rushing in high school that was hardly a secret.

The question now his, “How well can he throw?”

Comment by PittofDreams 09.05.13 @ 7:22 am

Based upon reports, Chryst stepping in to help House with the defense.

A bad sign.

Comment by PittofDreams 09.05.13 @ 7:44 am

Boyd is who we thought he would be (to quote Dennis Green). A real treat for sure.

Let’s hope that PC can figure out how to take advantage of his abilities. My concern is in reading PC say the following in the PG article today.
“I feel real confident that we can do it within the parameters of the offense,” Chryst said. “I don’t feel like we’ve got to get out of box.”

What? Is he kidding us? Is PC that rigid and inflexible to change and adaptation? Boyd is exactly what an under talented team needs. A player that allows you to try new things and think outside the box. He is a game changer and should allow for the element of surprise.
PC really has me concerned folks. He is as Vanilla as it gets and my fear he is going to coach football out of palyersmincluding Boyd. LET THE PLAYMAKERS MAKE PLAYS! BE CREATITIVE.

A under talent team must present the element of surprise. Think outside of the box.

Comment by Pitt Fan in Atlanta 09.05.13 @ 8:21 am

There won’t be many comments too positive for Pitt.

Boyd certainly lived up/exceeded expectations in his first game. Fast enough to get around the corner of FSU, or fake the corner out of his jock. FSU pursued really well down the line. How fast is Boyd?

Fast enough and decisive enough to have one man to beat on a kick-off. No hesitation, he sees the field well and just goes. Glad that Coach made the change. Pitts not natural and instinctive trying to pick his way through.

Happy with the two week break, give Bennett and Conners some more time to heal and work on timing with the line. No one mentioned, no bad snaps from the center. Had a few last several years if I recall.

I know a few of you strongly disagree, but we didn’t beat ourselves with mistakes. They beat us with superior talent.

Comment by gc 09.05.13 @ 8:26 am

POOR COACHING… POOR QUARTEBACK PLAY… POOR RESULT.

Comment by PittofDreams 09.05.13 @ 8:31 am

The Good…

Pitt plays New Mexico next and they just lost to UTSA.

Comment by PittofDreams 09.05.13 @ 8:33 am

Pitt Fan in Atlanta

No worries with PC. I have watched Wisconsin over the years. PC adapts his offense very well. Boyd will get lots of touches.

Comment by notrocketscience 09.05.13 @ 8:47 am

Chryst, the HEAD COACH, helping out with the defense is a “bad sign”? Wait, what?

Pitt Fan ATL… Why would Chryst tip his hand in a completly contrived press conference by basically tell the world he was going to use Boyd “outside the box”?

Comment by Pitt2Cali 09.05.13 @ 8:55 am

Interesting series of tweets just a few minutes ago from Chris Peak at @Pantherlair…

“Response from recruits who were at #Pitt’s game Mon. has been quite positive. Key takeaway was the atmosphere more than on-field performance.”

He followed that up immediately with…

“Common recruiting tactivv against #Pitt has been to criticize Heinz Field atmosphere. Monday night showed that HF can be a good place to play.”

…and…

“Recruits generally acknowledge that FSU was a tough challenge for #Pitt. But atmosphere and frosh participation outweighed game itself.”

Just throwing this out for what it’s worth.

Comment by Stoosh 09.05.13 @ 9:05 am

Chas another positive was how well the offensive line and receivers were in sync and to my memory did not have any false starts or precedure penalties. I was at the game but I DVR’d the game and went back and watched and looked for positives and there were a few that we can build on. Almost wish that NM game was this weekend so that we could get that bad taste out sooner.

Comment by Panther Fan in Hoopieland 09.05.13 @ 9:17 am

Disagree with the QB bashing. Savage was under pressure after the first series on every down (it reminded be of watching Ben trying to find a reciever in under 3 seconds). Only the 3 step over the middle paasses did he have time.
Unlike Pitt Fl. State but pressure on with the front four. How many times did a linebacker or safety come up to the line and have a straight shot at the QB.
Some rust to shake off but Savage is like Adams playing with a team with marginal talent. Both will play at the professional level because they have the skills they play on teams that would be under 500 if they were not on the team.

Comment by pittisit 09.05.13 @ 9:43 am

I was at the game and it was a great atmosphere! From my point of view, the team played very hard and although we all wished for a different outcome, IMO there were positives to take away from this game. Tons of true freshmen and RS freshman played significant roles (around 18 I believe). The special teams played well and almost recovered our first kickoff of the game to FSU and Boyd nearly broke a return for a TD. The offensive line played fairly well considering we had 5 players either making their first start or playing a new position. Connor is impressive.

Obviously, there is concern with the defense. We have started slow the past few years defensively so let’s hope that we can turn things around this year as well. The jury is out on House and we need to give him some time to see what type of adjustments he makes. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how much he could have done against FSU. They are far superior talent and any defense is limited when the DL can’t make a push or get a pass rush. With that said, I would have liked the corners to make a little more aggressive, rather than the 10 yard cushion on every play. I also wish we would have called a screen or two to Boyd or Bennett to counter the FSU pressure. Lastly, I was surprised out TEs weren’t able to cause more of a matchup problem for FSU. Hats off to FSU’s D though, their LBs did a nice job on Holtz and Gardner.

Comment by JAM05PITT 09.05.13 @ 9:46 am

A few more observations:

1.I rarely post here but read the commentary every day. It seems too negative most days. Our program is really starting over after the coaching carousel of recent years. Let’s be patient.

2. For most of my life I lived near Philadelphia and consider myself a Phila. pro sports fan (for better or worse, mostly worse). I have listened to critics of Philadelphia fans most of my life – they boo Santa, etc. etc. On Monday night I experienced booing from the Pitt fans that would embarrass Phila. Booing the Student body presidents of ACC schools was ridiculous – except for Duke, of course. Also, booing ADSP during a ceremony honoring one of the great Panthers of all time was as tone-deaf a performance by fans as I have ever been part of. We Panther fans need to cheer for the kids in Blue and Gold. Leave the booing for another time and place. Make those kids proud to play in front of us.

3. Read Chris Peak today. The recruits liked the atmosphere of Heinz Field at the game. Let’s do that every game and H2P!

Comment by RogerH 09.05.13 @ 9:52 am

I agree booing every team was a bit much, but I was damn proud of how loud & emphatically they booed Notre Dame. There were a bunch of FSU fans in front of us & they were cracking up at how loud we booed them. One of the guys turned around & said you don’t like them too much do ya. I told him to give it a few years & you won’t like them either.

Comment by Nick 09.05.13 @ 10:28 am

RogerH, nice to hear from you, one of my college roommates was an Igs fan so I feel for you.

You are right about the negativity. To critique is fair and justified, to beat a dead horse, well…

Not that I am always above that and have had to adjust that behavior from time to time.

In my business and personal life, I have found that incessant bitching, moaning and whining never changes anything, in fact it usually makes you feel worse and irritates your friends and co-workers. It is more rewarding to be around positive, forward looking people. They are the ones getting things done. The ones that get over things quickly and move on.

I found that associating with these types at work was more productive and better for my personal success. Those that bitched and moaned about the boss (even when it was justified) and the work never lasted very long.

I was too embarrassed by the booing of the flags, except Notre Dame. Even cringed with the booing of Pedy, although I smiled, and wondered what Nordenburg was thinking.

By the way, the National media was much more kind to us than our local hacks. They were laughing that Winston was not made first string until a week before the game. They should move up in the rankings as the SEC knocks each other off.

Comment by gc 09.05.13 @ 11:44 am

By the way, we will find out how good FSU is when they play Clemson and they finish at Florida. Games worth watching.

Comment by gc 09.05.13 @ 11:48 am

Yes, I forgot that ND is an ACC member. They along with Duke deserve boos. We don’t know the others well enough yet. Wait awhile.

Comment by RogerH 09.05.13 @ 11:51 am

Well there was no Tino to boo so the boos had to go somewhere.

Comment by TX Panther 09.05.13 @ 11:56 am

Boyd. Going to be very fun to watch. Stood out, even amongst FSU players as one of the real thrillers on the field.

The Paul Chryst show on 93.7 bored the living shit out of me last night.

I’d rather listen to paint dry.

Hillgrove as the cheerleader doesn’t help either.

Do I expect him to grill him, no, of course not.

How bout’ some questions of substance at least.

Actually, maybe he did ask him some questions, I could only stomach 10-15 minutes.

Comment by Dan 09.05.13 @ 12:09 pm

Chas – before commenting on what you actually wrote, just a word of thanks for policing the site last night. Blogosphere time-out…its not used enough by site moderators.

Onto my comment…for the first time ever last spring, I watched (live) a high school kid hold a pressor to make his college choice. Actually, it was the three kids from Clairton and what a fun moment it was. I think it was in the school library and they had family, coaches, teachers and friends there. After following the Bears on their historic journey, it was hard to miss that “season finale” for the team.

I can only imagine how proud Clairton is of all three kids, especially Boyd. And deservedly so. Barring injury – and assuming he is not the kind of kid to get into trouble – he is going to really make an impact while he’s at Pitt.

Some of the more cynical posters (and a notorious one whose name shall not be spoken for fear of awakening him) strongly opined that Boyd’s success at Clairton would not translate into D1 success. Hah!

Atlanta – I got news for you. There is no “element of surprise” when Boyd is on the field. After Monday, teams will know he’s there and expect him to get the ball. I’m sure whatever plays Chryst calls, Boyd will make them exciting.

Anybody going to the Duke game?

Comment by Joe Lawrence 09.05.13 @ 12:16 pm

Well said gc.

Comment by ECH 09.05.13 @ 12:25 pm

Saying Savage didn’t have a good game isn’t QB bashing. It’s looking at the stats and seeing a guy who threw two INTs and nearly a 3rd one. But of course it is all the guys around Savage and not Savage himself. People were preaching about personal accountability when it came to Shell, but now there is a bunch of excuse making.

I don’t see how you can think that Chryst, an offensive coach, is now helping out on D is anything but concerning.

But anyways, Tyler Boyd is going to be awesome. You win in college with a bunch of Tyler Boyds on your team.

And I always have said Heinz Field is a recruiting asset. Recruits have NFL on their mind and nothing screams NFL louder than getting to play at the stadium where the Pittsburgh Steelers play.

Comment by Wardapalooza 09.05.13 @ 12:34 pm

Sorry, this a little of topic, but I have a question for Chas, Justin and Reed. I would like to see a linebacking trio of Gordon, Price and Thomas. I think either Price or Thomas would be the best for blitzing either side.

Was no thought given to Price as linebacker? He is not big enough to be a rush end, but with the element of surprise he would be effective. Going up againt a D-Tackle is different than going against a tight end. It is pretty obvious that our front four cannot put much pressure on the QB without help.

It seems keeping two of our most effective weapons on the bench makes no sense. What am I missing?

Comment by gc 09.05.13 @ 12:40 pm

Saying Savage had a bad game is one thing, saying he stinks, will not get better and Voytik should start is bashing. I think that it is a good thing that Chryst is getting involved with the D. We can argue why, but there is no doubt they were ineffective. It is Chryst’s responsibility to find out why and remedy the situation as best as possible. He is the boss man. He is ultimately responsible. I’d be concerned if he didn’t get involved.

Comment by gc 09.05.13 @ 1:02 pm

On a side note: I’m sad to read that Pitt students/fans booed other ACC schools at the inaugral ACC game for Pitt. For those not familiar with the ACC, Florida State is know for classless acts at football games. By booing other ACC schools, Pitt students/fans just fell in line with the Seminoles at the bottom of the class. Shame on us.

Comment by MariettaMike 09.05.13 @ 1:12 pm

Welcome, newbies. Very refreshing perspectives, thanks.

And don’t let the bast$#ds get you down.

Stay awhile.

Comment by steve1 09.05.13 @ 1:18 pm

@Comment by Joe Lawrence 09.05.13 @ 12:16 pm

You are spot on with this comment. That jet sweep is on film for everyone to see now. Teams will prep for it and be ready for it. I certainly would.

Comment by BostonsCommon 09.05.13 @ 1:34 pm

@Marietta and others.

Terrible booing. Idiotic.
And I’m not one to say fans can’t or shouldn’t boo. I’ve booed!!!!!! Sometimes people deserve a good rousing boo. I’m not opposed to it.

Opening night of joining your new buddies????
Geez. Some may call it low class, that’s fine, it fits. But, even more than that, it’s opening a new era, supposed to be enjoying yourself, a party atmosphere.

Pitt and NC ST. have a fight on the field some year, Pitt and UVA have a recruitng battle for someone, a bad call costs Pitt a game against Georgia Tech.

Hell ya, boo them, things like are what start rivalrys.

Opening night?? It was definitely amateur hour for some.

Comment by Dan 09.05.13 @ 1:40 pm

I think it was wise not to run Boyd over the middle, a high or late throw and he could be out for the season. Really happy that no one got injured. FSU hit hard, but they played a pretty clean game. One low hit and a crackback, but that ws about it. They stood Connor up, but he took it like a man and didn’t go down. Tough kid!

No response on Price and Thomas, maybe a topic for a thread. Outside the box, but if defensive end is a weakness, how bout some three- four with Price and Thomas outside, Gordon and Caprara/Galambos inside. Ask LeBeau for some help, although he may have his hands full this year.

Comment by gc 09.05.13 @ 1:59 pm

From ESPN:
Trending down: I talked with one high school coach who was at the game and has sent several players to Pittsburgh over the past few years. He said the atmosphere at Heinz Field for Monday’s game was “like a Steelers game.” That lasted until about the second quarter, when the Seminoles began to bury the Panthers in Pitt’s ACC opener. Pitt’s five arguably biggest targets were there, and while the atmosphere was impressive at first, Pitt was outscored 41-6 over the final 55 minutes. It was a missed opportunity to make a statement to Alex Bookser, Dravon Henry, Shai McKenzie, Montae Nicholson and Qadree Ollison. Pitt is near the top of the list for all five, but Monday’s game has to leave them wondering whether Pitt can compete in the ACC. Even worse, three of those five are still looking at Florida State (although none project to go to the Seminoles).

Comment by TonyinHouston 09.05.13 @ 2:13 pm

Obviously Chryst has to be involved with the D. But he’s an offensive guy so I’m not sure how much he can really help out the D. Plus, if he spends more time with the D that’s less time he can spend with the QBs and the rest of the offense, which is what he is actually good at.

The more Boyd touches the ball the better. Boyd is a playmaker.

Is Thomas still in the dog house? Even with the D getting carved up it took forever for him to get on the field.

Comment by Wardapalooza 09.05.13 @ 2:21 pm

gc —

I expect we’ll see Thomas on the field a lot more as the season progresses (probably sooner rather than later at that). As for Price, he was on the record during camp saying that he didn’t like LB that much and preferred to let loose at the DE spot. He also doesn’t have great hips or lateral movement, which are important for a LB. I’m no expert but I think that’s why he is at DE.

Comment by JAM05PITT 09.05.13 @ 2:27 pm

Fellas we need to look at this as a pre-season scrimmage. We learned where we are as a program: Year two of a complete rebuild. We learned what works. We learned what doesn’t. We learned some of our weaknesses and we saw a glimpse of the future.

Now we have two weeks to get better. That’s pretty huge. One week is barely enough time to install a game plan, but two weeks is enough time to really correct some mistakes.

We are going to grow.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 09.05.13 @ 2:37 pm

Off topic, but still game related.
As a Panther Club member I just got an email from Pitt about the 360 degree gigapixel panorama picture taken at halftime. There was a link to the picture. WOW !! We were in row F up in section 511. I zoomed in and zoomed in and located my wife and I. Perfectly clear picture of us after all the zooming. Amazing, absolutely amazing.

Comment by Pitt73Pete 09.05.13 @ 3:04 pm

Bookser, Henry, et al shouldn’t worry about competing with FSU, they will all be out of eligibility the next time Pitt plays them. Aside from Clemson, Pitt can play with the rest of the conference. I’m not suggesting they’ll beat everyone or win their division, but there shouldn’t be too many blowouts like on Monday.

Comment by Nick 09.05.13 @ 3:20 pm

Rodger that Rodger!
if ur a prospective recruit and want to play, come to Pitt!!
How many touches did “he who must not be named” git down dere in ‘Bama n’at?

Comment by Punxy Panther 09.05.13 @ 3:32 pm

JAMO5,I did hear Price say he liked rushing the passer and he didn’t have to think as much. After a year away I am sure he just wants to play. Not going to make any negative remarks, smart kid.

I wasn’t aware of lateral speed issues. I do remember he played a lot as a true freshman, and his speed and hard hits stood out.

I just think that at his size he is going to have trouble with quality O-Tackles and double teaming tight ends. As a linebacker, they don’t know when and if you are coming, which would give him the edge.

The D and particularly the linebackers will look better against lesser competition. But we still have to play Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, and others with big, strong O-lines.

We have got to find a way to pressure QB’s. They got their first report card, and it wasn’t pretty.

Pitt73Pete, can you forward the link?

Comment by gc 09.05.13 @ 3:37 pm

gc – Price is at DE specifically to get more speed at that position, otherwise we have Murphy, Durham and Lippert there (three guys who not only haven’t been in my kitchen but in the opponent’s backfield).

Re: Savage – he did some things well but a lot of things not so well. What really bothered was this – look at what he did, or didn’t do after his 52 yard great pass…

Pittsburgh at 4:28

1st and 10 at PITT 40 Tom Savage pass complete to Street for 52 yards to the FSU 8 for a 1ST down.

1st and Goal at FSU 8 Tom Savage pass incomplete to Tyler Boyd.
2nd and Goal at FSU 8 Tom Savage pass incomplete to Manasseh Garner.
3rd and Goal at FSU 8 Tom Savage pass incomplete to Isaac Bennett.
4th and Goal at FSU 8 Tom Savage pass incomplete to J.P. Holtz.

DRIVE TOTALS: PITTSBURGH drive: 5 plays 52 yards, 00:53 PITTSBURGH DOWNS

Granted that was at the end of the game buy eight yards and he couldn’t hit a receiver? Wouldn’t 41-20 been a whole lot nicer?

It was kind of surprising to me just how well Boyd tracked and caught the ball during practices. I figured he was mostly a QB/RB in HS so it would take a while to adjust but he was making almost every catch in the camp. Some were absolutely Fitz like.

Comment by Reed 09.05.13 @ 3:38 pm

Comment by Upittbaseball 09.05.13 @ 3:57 pm

Reed, I understand the move. Due to desperation, but because of his size may or may not work. I liked him better blitzing from a linebacker position. Now we may have no effective line rush and no effective blitzing linebacker. Although I think Thomas could fit that bill. I know we need to wait and see for a couple more games. However, if we can’t find a way to pressure the QB, we are going to get torn up.

Did we try any blitz from Winston’s blind side?

Comment by gc 09.05.13 @ 3:58 pm

PC can tell House where and why he is weak by game planning against his own defense.
That is how an offensive guy can help and dissect the D coordinator.
Chryst and House are going to have an interesting 2 weeks. House is (if he worked for me) going to come in with a game plan and I am going to calls sets and plays against it.

Comment by Sfpitt 09.05.13 @ 4:06 pm

Thanks UPitt, that is very, very cool. Not many Pitt fans with smiles on their faces. Must have been later in the game.

Comment by gc 09.05.13 @ 4:06 pm

Gigapixel photo link:

link to gigapixel.panoramas.com

Comment by hoopzebra 09.05.13 @ 4:12 pm

I thought they took that gigapixel panorama during the 3rd quarter. They told us they were going to take it & everyone stood up. The pic they used was in between the 1st & 2nd quarters. Too many idiots flipping the bird & grabbing their crotches I guess.

Comment by Nick 09.05.13 @ 4:18 pm

I agree, it’s awesome and I give credit to the athletic Department for that. I also like that one can buy the photo of the panoramic of the game. It’s an ad on that same page. You’re welcome GC!

Fantasy Football starts tonight! Good Luck all.

Comment by Upittbaseball 09.05.13 @ 4:24 pm

Wondering if it’s possible that House might be changing his philosophy about working late at the office as was reported last spring in a story by the Tribune Review.

********

As defensive coordinator, House replaced Dave Huxtable, who threw a sleeping blanket on the floor of his office last summer and often slept there.

His priorities in order, House promises he won’t do the same.

“I got married for a reason,” he said. “Every successful head coach I’ve seen, they are pretty balanced. I don’t think a lot of good decisions are made after 10 o’clock.”

*******

Must be nice to know it all.

Comment by PittofDreams 09.05.13 @ 4:26 pm

He needs to spend more time on his job than marriage or he won’t have a marriage since his wife will leave him if he doesn’t have a job. Work on the job House and delay having kids. Don’t want to hear my honey needs some lovin as an excuse why your D is so unprepared.

Comment by TX Panther 09.05.13 @ 4:37 pm

Regarding Chryst helping out House being a Bad Sign…

If Chryst had gone outside to hire an experienced guy for the job, like Huxtable, with a proven track record as DC… he wouldn’t be having to hold his hand. He would just say “Fix it.”

Comment by PittofDreams 09.05.13 @ 4:38 pm

Comment by Pitt Fan in Atlanta 09.05.13 @ 8:21 am

Spot on analysis PFiA.

What has me worried is who, who is calling the plays. PC or Joe Rudolph ??
If it’s JR, we’re not using PC’s best asset.

It seems to me the 1rst series of plays that worked and resulted in a Touchdown (our only one of the game btw), those plays were scripted. And that was good. They were obviously scripted by PC.

As the game went on though, plays had to be called and sent in to Savage.

Who was calling the plays ?

Comment by EMel 09.05.13 @ 5:26 pm

Pro football betting starts tonite.

Good luck to all !!!

Comment by EMel 09.05.13 @ 5:29 pm

if chryst is helping house with the D it is the
same as saying house is not up for the job i made a
bad hire.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.05.13 @ 5:30 pm

I agree but at least he’s doing something about it and is swallowing his pride.

Comment by TX Panther 09.05.13 @ 5:55 pm

I would understand this level of negitivity if we opened the season with a home loss to Rutgers but FSU was the most talented team Pitt has played in years. Yeah the d was troubling but it was more an amazing game by that QB. Nothing else looked bad and a true freshman kicker looked solid. Just wait a few games before you snap to judgement here. Side note I too am from Philly and the criticism of this team is worse than I can ever remember except maybe the 94 phillies

Comment by Dacs 09.05.13 @ 6:00 pm

Lets move Boyd to running back. That will help open up the passing game.

Comment by alcofan 09.05.13 @ 6:45 pm

could boyd run the wildcat.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.05.13 @ 6:54 pm

how is boyd at throwing the football can he pass
does any one know.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.05.13 @ 7:07 pm

could boyd be are tim tebow just asking do you think so i dont know if can pass do you.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.05.13 @ 7:15 pm

We need a Boyd at QB, RB, WR, DE, CB, and LB and then we’d be top 10. Remember Boyd may have the talent and upside but the FSU’s get ten of those guys each year. Pitt needs to find more Boyd’s. Pitt will find them down south. What Pitt coach recruits Florida? I already know the answer and that’s the problem.

Comment by TX Panther 09.05.13 @ 7:19 pm

So, did Ray Rice just say his high school instead of Rutgers during the lineup intro? That’s not nearly as bad as our beloved qb from last year, though.

Comment by panther94 09.05.13 @ 8:25 pm

One thing that stood out to me on Monday night was that we could have used 1 more deep threat/offensive weapon. If only we could have landed Foster – just imagine (so close) . Chryst must also recruit speed & athleticism outside of the WPIAL in addition. If we land Mckenzie , Nicholson , Henry & Bookser we could possibly experience the same result next year only because FSU has thier entire team back plus the # 2 ranked 2014 recruiting class. We must intensify recruiting / the days of Dorsett, Marino, Fralic, Davis, Gilbert in the WPIAL are long gone,

Comment by daddylonglegs 09.05.13 @ 8:53 pm

Still think if we can figure the defense out the offense will be fine. I just hope we get the recruiting targets mentioned because we really need those kids. I am very excited about our oline moving forward.

Comment by Shawn 09.05.13 @ 8:54 pm

Say what you will about the recruiting and class rankings my eyes told me that the sophomores and freshman looked good out there against tough competition.

Comment by Dacs 09.05.13 @ 9:24 pm

Boyd’s to thin to play RB at this time.

Connor will be fine and Bennett, once recovered, where he has his speed back, will be fine as well.

Plus Street graduates this year, so Boyd will be the ‘go to’ WR next year.

WE need to get PC up in the coach’s box calling the plays. He doesn’t really offer anything ont he sidelines, as he’s not an emotional type ‘fire up the troops’ type of guy.

His biggest asset is as an OC calling the plays, whether it’s from the sidelines, (like Walt) use to do or up above, I don’t care.

HE JUST NEEDS TO DO IT !

Comment by EMel 09.05.13 @ 9:34 pm

@ FRankie

PC’s offense’s at Wisky never ran a ‘Wildcat’ offense. So I would forget about that. As PC seems like the type of guy who doesn’t go much out of his comfort zone. If Ever !

We need PC calling ALL the plays, as that is what he was known for.

Comment by EMel 09.05.13 @ 9:37 pm

Re: the recruits at the game, ok the game didn’t go well, but better for them to be at the FSU game than at a 12:30p start vs. New Mex with 20,000 in attendance. It was the right call to go all in for this game.

Re: the booing of the flags, it really wasn’t that loud (except for ND and the U), and to me it sure seemed more good natured than nasty. It was a silly exercise to begin with.

Reed, I agree with your point about Savage’s issues being more a result of his inherent shortcomings than rust. He is not a great QB; but he’s not awful either, and I am hopeful that Chryst and Bollinger can minimize those shortcomings much like they did with our QB last year.

Boyd needs as many touches as possible. I’d like to see him line up as a back, he’d be dangerous on a wheel route, or with a swing or screen pass. And somebody asked, he did pay some QB in high school and threw a handful of passes…

Comment by Iron Duke 09.05.13 @ 10:00 pm

Hoops question…Anybody know if Mostella is at school?? He’s on the roster according to Cardiac Hill but not the Athletic Dept roster.

Comment by The Hagen 09.05.13 @ 10:01 pm

EMel i got that but do you think boyd could run it
do you know if he can pass hell if he would even do it 4 times a game it would get the ball in boyd hands more.
and the outher teams would have to worry abought it
i think boyd would be good at it.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.05.13 @ 10:02 pm

lol idk, i think I did read somewhere he threw a couple times at Clairton.

But even Larry Fitz never threw it. But hey it’s alright with me, can’t be any worse than Tiny was.
Best pass we saw in 3 yrs of that nightmare was from Ronald Jones against Iowa in 2011.

Why isn’t PC calling all the plays Frankie ?

Comment by EMel 09.05.13 @ 11:22 pm

The playcalling wasn’t the problem against FSU, the disparate levels of talent on the field was what did us in.

I’m not using this game as a litmus test for this 2013 team. The factors involved; first ACC game, Labor Day night, FSU’s superior speed and talent, 11 FR playing their 1st game, made it a one off. We’ll all know a lot more about how this team is built and coached after the first four games.

I think we fans are getting ahead of ourselves with Boyd when it comes to using him this year. I agree with PC when he alludes to the fact that the offense will basically remain the same and he’ll use Boyd as much as he can ‘inside those parameters’. Boyd is not the only offensive weapon we have.

Devin Street had a career high receiving yardage total last game and is still our #1 WR, as it should be at this point. He had 141 yards only receiving which was almost as much yardage as Boyd had doing three different things. 141 yards is a big deal and shows what strength we have with Street in the lineup.

Conner and Bennett also have good skills at RB and our OL will firm up and allow the running game to progress also. We have two TE in Holtz and Garner who need to get touches also, especially Garner. Those aspects of the offense will be what wins us games ALONG with Boyd playing well as WR2 and getting the ball at appropriate times.

At this point Boyd is not going to be the sole point of a opposing DC’s focus. They’ll have to acknowledge his presence and talent but once we put the ball in his hands every other time and the DCs know that we, do it will be a whole different story. It isn’t only Boyd’s talent which surprised FSU, it was the use of his talent in timely ways that made those jet sweeps work.

He’s going to be a large part of our offense no doubt, but just because he does well doesn’t automatically mean that the rest of the offense has suddenly become less talented.

Comment by Reed 09.06.13 @ 5:02 am

What about the D? How much was it coaching and how much lack of talent? I think 50/50.

Comment by TX Panther 09.06.13 @ 5:40 am

House interview on PittsburghPanthers.com

Comment by PittofDreams 09.06.13 @ 5:50 am

Does anyone remember Dakota Conwell from USC. Sad to see his career come to end.

link to foxsportsarizona.com

Comment by Winedogs 09.06.13 @ 5:52 am

Definitions – Merriam-Webster

Bash (verb)

: to attack physically or verbally <celebrity bas-ing

Analyze (transitive verb)

: to study or determine the nature and relationship of the parts of by analysis (see analysis)

Predict (verb)

: to declare or indicate in advance; especially : foretell on the basis of observation, experience, or scientific reason

Comment by PittofDreams 09.06.13 @ 6:02 am

Zeise deep threat in high school – could be deep threat at Pitt

Comment by anony 09.06.13 @ 6:16 am

Corey Clement

16 carries… 101 yards… TD…

The caveat… Clement averaged 6.3 yards per carry. Whereas Wisconsin’s two starters averaged 11 and 13.

Does Pitt have UMASS on its schedule?

Comment by PittofDreams 09.06.13 @ 6:37 am

I think it’s clear that, at best, Matt House was a marginal hire as DC. And it’s fair to say he was promoted for his potential, not his resume (there’s nothing in his background to suggest he was nearly ready to be DC on a BCS-AQ team).

And at worst, if the FSU game is any indication, House is so hopelessly lost and clueless, in so far over his head, that it would actually be merciful to end this woebegone experiment before it results in a season so awful that it takes Chryst down with him.

I would love to know who made that call to promote House to DC. Did HCPC take DCMH under his wing as a project and fight to hire him, or perhaps was fearful to hire someone as DC he never worked with before?

Or did ADSP give Chryst such a small budget to fill the position that nobody but a glorified (and recent, in fact…) high school coach would take such low pay?

Somebody somewhere knows the answers to those telling questions. And those answers (I think) will speak volumes about where the main problems lay with this program. And thus the solutions to solving them.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 09.06.13 @ 7:39 am

Money cannot solve all of the world’s problems but better football players will make Pitt football much better

Comment by rayhpgh 09.06.13 @ 8:13 am

And better coaches.

Comment by TX Panther 09.06.13 @ 9:31 am

@panther94. Yes, I believe he did. I’ve seen other guys do that over the past years. Probably have a beef with their college or something.

Actually, I like it. Always thought it was a farce for some of the players during their introduction to say the name of their college knowing they never even graduated.

Wonder what the actual percentage of NFL players actually completed their degrees?

Comment by Dan 09.06.13 @ 9:36 am

NEED $$ life blood of any endover!

Comment by Punxy Panther 09.07.13 @ 11:42 am

Is it that hard to get out of this coach’s dog house? I am ok with dismissing player’s for committing crimes, but how about playing TT. We need talented players. Please

Comment by DocJLK 09.09.13 @ 7:21 am