September 6, 2013

Fitzgerald Number Retirement

Filed under: Alumni,Football,Good,Honors — Chas @ 7:27 am

For those of us stuck watching at home, that meant not seeing the Retirement of Larry Fitzgerald’s number at halftime.

Thankfully Pitt posted it.

Goosebumps.

Heres the good news about our pass defense:

– New Mexico wins in OT vs. a bleh UTEP team. They racked up 395 yards on the ground, but only 88 passing. Sounds like they are a poor man’s Navy or Ga Tech.

– Duke’s Anthony Boone broke his collar bone and is out indefinitely (although his understudy did well).

– UVa is averaging 3.6 yards per pass in their first 2 games.

– Lots of VT fans are calling for Logan Thomas to be benched. Pitt owned him last year.

– ODU is 0-2 and has not looked good, getting thumped by a Maryland team that is decent but not that much better than Pitt.

– Navy and GT will run first.

– Tommy Rees

That brings us to week 10 and Bryn Renner before Pitt sees another decent passing attack. Obviously some of these teams have other strengths and can beat Pitt different ways, but we shouldn’t have to worry about getting lit up through the air again like we did last week for some time.

Pitt can (never say should with Pitt) be 3-1 headed to Blacksburg, can be 5-2 headed to Atlanta. If they want to go bowling they’d better be, the last month of the schedule is brutal.

Comment by Iron Duke 09.08.13 @ 9:38 am

@@@@@@
To Iron Duke,

You are truely an optimist to predict Pitt will be 3-1 going into
the VT game. Sad to say however after watching games
from around the country Pitt will be fortunate to win 4
games this season. Predicting wins over NM, ODU, Syracuse,
and Navy…..any other wins will be considered huge.

Comment by JR 09.08.13 @ 10:28 am

I do not think wins over Duke and UVA will be considered huge.

Comment by Frank MD 09.08.13 @ 11:04 am

Any win right now is huge! I just can’t believe it when I look at the top 25. Teams like Stanford and Northwestern are ranked and improving while we struggle! Very frustrating for all Pitt fans! Hope they get it figured out! Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 09.08.13 @ 11:24 am

So, a lot of my Notre Dame fans in my family, extended family and friends were blowing up the social media last night about interference calls!!!

I jumped in and said, remember what you guys all said last year “a penalty or two didn’t change the outcome of the game”.

And I laughed, and I laughed, and I laughed!!!

Comment by Dan 09.08.13 @ 11:38 am

I’ve been saying this for years too.

Listen, you get no argument from me, the SEC is unquestionably the best conference. Without a doubt. 7 nat’l champs in a row, hard to argue.

And I’m not arguing that, so don’t yell at me.
I admit, it’s the BEST.

However, this business with some of the media acting like it’s a conference full of nothing but teams that consist of Packers, Steelers and 49’ers era dynasty teams has got to stop.

Ya, they usually have the two or three best teams. Alabama, LSU, and Florida. Good next place teams, S.Carolina and Georgia.

Ok. They also have a lot of shite in their conference just like anyone else.

Kentucky and Tennessee?? Garbage.
Auburn and Arkansas, complete crap.
Miss State. Sucks

Vandy. Garbage for 40 years. Ok, they play a little better the past two years, but have been everyone’s punching bag for years.

Again, they’re the best, no question. Let’s stop with the it’s a Steelers-Ravens game every time any team in the conference plays any other team in the conference.

Comment by Dan 09.08.13 @ 11:44 am

Hell, Pitt just beat Kentucky a couple years ago.

Comment by Dan 09.08.13 @ 11:45 am

JR read again, didn’t predict Pitt would be 3-1, said they CAN be. Duke just lost their starting QB and Virginia lost by 50. Pitt will certainly have a legit shot at a W in both games.

Comment by Iron Duke 09.08.13 @ 12:59 pm

I’m with you ironman! I’m saying they WILL be 3-1 by the end of the month! We are all going to look back and say FSU was the real deal when they are in contention for a title game. And I though the same thing about the pass interference calls! They deserve it! Karma!!!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 09.08.13 @ 1:17 pm

UVA is hard to figure out, they beat BYU who clobbered Texas last nite like 40-21.

But lost by 50 to Oregon, but we would probably lose by 50 to Oregon as well.

Deciding factor might be we are at home. But Heinz is not a real big Home factor since we started playing there.

So who knows, one thing we need much better QB play and better scheme on blitz blocking.

And of course any scheme OTHER than the Defensive one we played (if u want to call it that) against FSU.

Comment by EMel 09.08.13 @ 3:25 pm

Tennesshee (as Dr. Lou says) is off to a 2-0 start under Butch (the guy from Cincy).

And beatup a decent WKU team yesterday. Are they going to compete in the SEC EAst. Not yet, but they will get better as that coach is pretty good.

Miss State was pretty good last year or two, as Dan Mullin is another good coach.

Auburn will be better with Gus Malzahn as HC and Arkansas has the HC from Wisconsin. And Arky was very good just a few seasons ago under Motorcycle Bobby. haha

All of these teams are in fertile recruiting ground so they can rebuild quickly with the right coach.

IMO, the only reason we beat Kentucky was the players were wanting to win one for DW.
Since we know they didn’t give a crap about Tiny.
Nor them him

Comment by EMel 09.08.13 @ 3:34 pm

New Mexico scored a bunch of points (42) yesterday after only scoring 13 in opener.

Beat UTEP in Overtime….42-35

They went to a mostly running offense and a RB of theirs Casey Carrier ran for almost 300 yards (291) on 41 carries and had 4 TD’s. The Lobos only threw 7 passes, all game, completed 4 for 88 yards. QB also ran for 59 yds.

They made some big changes to their offense from Week 1.

So will PITT be able to stop their running attack with our weak LB play ???

Comment by EMel 09.08.13 @ 3:46 pm

That game was played at the Sun Bowl, UTEP’s home field.

What I thought was going to be a rout after the way New Mexico played in Week 1, (a Home loss to Texas SanAnotnio) might be a game now. As Texas SanAntonio is better than I thought, scoring 35 points on Okie State.

We bess not overlook……Los Lobos .

Comment by EMel 09.08.13 @ 3:52 pm

I expect the Steelers to be drafting 3rd or 4th next year in the first round.

Comment by Upittbaseball 09.08.13 @ 4:49 pm

Just an awful week in Pittsburgh sports. Suddenly the Buccos starting pitching looks suspect, the Cards beat them up this weekend. Who wins more games this year, Pitt or the Steelers?

Comment by Iron Duke 09.08.13 @ 4:58 pm

I’d put my money on the Panthers… Steelers may win 5. Tomlin inherited a good team and has had terrible drafts and has moved the Steelers backwards. As far as House is concerned Texas just fired their DC….Are we too good to do the same?

Comment by Upittbaseball 09.08.13 @ 5:00 pm

I guess UT wouldn’t agree with Pitt for keeping House around after laying two stink bombs in a row:
link to blog.chron.com

Comment by TonyinHouston 09.08.13 @ 6:21 pm

What part of Texas are you in, Upittbaseball?

Comment by TonyinHouston 09.08.13 @ 6:22 pm

UTEP is always tough at the Sun Bowl (just ask UH). I hopes these guys are right who think Pitt will win the next three. Watched a lot of college football this weekend…don’t think Pitt has any sure wins ahead. I just hope they play with the same tenacity UH showed yesterday against perennial pain-in-Pitt’s butt Temple. Was Wanny the stealth coach of the Owls’ special teams?

Comment by TonyinHouston 09.08.13 @ 6:26 pm

hope

Comment by TonyinHouston 09.08.13 @ 6:26 pm

UPitt, Right now I would too.

Pitt would never do what Texas did; which is all you need to know about the importance of a winning football program at both schools. And if they did, they wouldn’t hire a replacement, just turn the duties over to one of the existing coaches until the season ended. And I say that with only mild sarcasm.

Comment by Iron Duke 09.08.13 @ 6:29 pm

Tony – Fort Worth, TX.

Iron Duke – I agree. Football isn’t a priority. Question is when are they going to take Mack out back and lay him down. He is killing the program.

Comment by Upittbaseball 09.08.13 @ 6:36 pm

Will be interested in SI’s article regarding Okie State and improprieties that focus on Joe DeForest the $500,000 special teams coach at Cheat Lake U! Holgie was there for a year (nary a drink or two) while the paying of students athletes and sexing of recruits allegedly happened. The loss of Anthony Boone will hurt Duke for sure but as Emel mentioned Connette went 14/21 as his sub at QB. H2P. Hope 2 be there live @ Durham for a Panther victory! UPone

Comment by UPone 09.08.13 @ 7:01 pm

@@@@@@@

Whether it is New Mexico, New Hampshire,
New Orleans, or New York the Pitt team
we saw on Labor Day can’t take any
opponent for granted. They had better
come ready to play.

Lastly booing Steve Pederson is a
classless act. Wonder what the recruit
thought??

Comment by JR 09.08.13 @ 7:03 pm

Wasnt Les Miles the HC?

Emel – By the way take Cowboys -4 tonight.

Comment by Upittbaseball 09.08.13 @ 7:04 pm

Pitt isn’t serious about sports period. Its luke warm towards basketball and that’s about it. We are a basketball school to Nordy and Stevie. The other sports be damned. Stevie is killing our program. This will be Mack’s last year at Texas. The boosters will pressure him to resign and will make it financially attractive. Are there any Pitt boosters out there willing to pay $4M to buy out Stevie?

Comment by TX Panther 09.08.13 @ 9:33 pm

@Emel, agree whole heartedly!! Those programs will be back.

And as they do, some others will go down.

The SEC will always 3 or so teams in the top 10 and 3 more in the top 20, absolutely.

They’re the best.

It’s just some of the talking heads slobbering over themselves to compliment the SEC. It’s embarrassing.

My view is not of a former Big East or new ACC membership.

I don’t have a favorite conference, I love them all. I’m a college football junkie.

Nice to see Clemson and the “U” get the wins, but I’m not doing a comparison.

I’m strictly talking about some of the talking heads, that embarrass themselves. It’s sophomoric.

I love the SEC!! It’s the best conference.

They do have their warts though. The way some of these guys talk is like the SEC is made up of 14 teams of Alabama. Just not true. That’s all.

When an SEC teams loses to another conference, they quickly say, (well this is the bottom of the conference, or they had an off day). No kidding, that may be true, but they’re part of the conference!!!

Not referring to Clemson or Miami’s recent wins, they got a lot of respect for those wins, I’m referring to past wins by other conferences.

Hell, recently, along with those wins, Clemson has beaten LSU and Auburn, other couch burning brothers to the south opened a can of whip ass on Georgia a few years back. Many others if you look them up.

Comment by Dan 09.08.13 @ 10:20 pm

SEC vs other conferences since BCS started 1998.

SEC vs PAC 12 regular season 10-12
SEC vs PAC 12 bowl games 1-0

SEC vs Big 12 regular season 6-10
SEC vs Big 12 bowl games 21-8

SEC vs ACC regular season 42-36
SEC vs ACC bowl games 16-9

SEC vs Big 10 regular season 7-4
SEC vs Big 10 bowl games 19-19

SEC vs Big East regualr season 16-15
SEC vs Big East bowl games 3-9

Actually, pretty pedestrian. I would imagine a lot of you can’t even believe the SEC has lost so many games to other conferences did you???

The SEC fawners don’t talk about loses.

Some might say, look at the Big East record in bowls, the Big East has a better record, which just goes to show, that, that’s the top of the BE playing the bottom of the SEC.

That may be true, that’s why it’s called a conference, all teams in the conference count.

Once again, I actually love SEC football, Georgia S.Carolina was another great game.

Just tone it down a bit talking heads. The girl you have the crush on has pimples on her back!!!

Comment by Dan 09.08.13 @ 10:29 pm

As for our Pitt Panthers.

Well, I see New Mexico put some points on the board. Regardless of who they played, they put them up.

I mean, who are we to question or look down on others teams abilities until we rebuild our own program.

This is a HUGE game for Pitt.

Do we whip New Mexico, get a better feeling for the future schedule and hopefully on tract for this year to get 6 or 7 wins. Realizing, we played one of the best teams in the ACC and possibly the country in our first game, and the best is yet to come.

Or do we struggle to win, dare I say, even lose, and realize that this ship is worse off than even any of the worst negatives on here could have even imagined.

We shall see Saturday, eh???

Comment by Dan 09.08.13 @ 10:36 pm

Dan – I think it’s just me and you up buddy!!

Have a good night.

Comment by Upittbaseball 09.08.13 @ 10:51 pm

“Our performance on defense last night was unacceptable, and we need to change that,” Brown said in a Texas release issued Sunday evening.

Would PITT EVER have the temerity to do something like this ?

We just always accept getting our asses kicked.

Because our performance at both the Compass Bowl and in the first games was totally unacceptable to me !!!

Comment by EMel 09.09.13 @ 1:36 am

What’s unimaginable is; this House character had a whole month to game plan for the Bowl game and wait…..

6 months to game plan for FSU with a mostly a veteran defense.

That’s the difference with bigtime football being played by Texas and the bush league PITT has become.

Comment by EMel 09.09.13 @ 1:40 am

@ upitt

I layed off the NFL this week. Like to see who is who for a few weeks.

Nice call though, the Boys covered. lol

Comment by EMel 09.09.13 @ 1:48 am

@ Dano

I know what you mean about the talking heads and the SEC. Exactly. I don’t even bother watching those talking head shows anymore. It’s always the same pointless drivel.

Comment by EMel 09.09.13 @ 1:51 am

@Upitt, ya, couldn’t sleep.

@Emel, you know who is worse. The NFL pre-game shows!! I remember in my teens and 20’s (48 now), watching the morning shows on Sunday morning was part of the ritual. Now, I turn the tv on at 12:59!!! Shouldn’t have even bothered yesterday!! LOL

I actually still do like to have college game day on if I’m home. I don’t mind Herby and Corso.

The guys I can’t stand are on CBS.

I know a lot of people can’t stand the ESPN fellas, we’re all different.

I really enjoy a fall morning with a whole slate of college football on.

Still cheer for the Steelers, but, I’ve noticed, not watching as many NFL games as I used too. Not sure why.

Comment by Dan 09.09.13 @ 7:57 am

Hopefully Bennett’s time off is making his knee feel better. We won’t win without a ball control offense.

Miami and Clemson wins help with the perception of the conference. Should help with recruiting vs SEC. Next tier of the conference needs to get stronger. Va Tech, Georgia Tech need to be joined by some others, hopefully Pitt sooner rather than later. Louisville next year. Too bad ND didn’t join in Football. With them the conference would be very competitive. Not quite the SEC but close.

Comment by gc 09.09.13 @ 8:34 am

We should have some large crowds for VA (homecoming), NC if they travel well, ND (always) and Miami, if we haven’t totally flopped.

Good for recruiting to see a packed house. We need some D ends from the south like Romeus.

Comment by gc 09.09.13 @ 8:43 am

and Sheard.

Comment by gc 09.09.13 @ 8:45 am

Jackson and Green

Comment by alcofan 09.09.13 @ 9:13 am

Get on down to Pascagoula, MS. !!!

Comment by Dan 09.09.13 @ 10:16 am

Natchez too!!

Comment by Dan 09.09.13 @ 10:17 am

Here’s another way the SEC programs rebuild so quickly: “bending the rules”. While true that few programs are totally clean, and some programs are worse than any individual SEC programs (e.g. Southern Cal), the SEC as a group seems to consistently lead the way with recruiting infractions.

Over the last 20 years, the SEC has had double or better the number of schools on probation for football infractions as any of the other AQ conferences. Schools like Auburn cheat, win, go on probation, hire a new coach, and then start all over again.

Not surprisingly the AQ conference with the fewest probations over the last 20 yrs? The beloved Big East…

Comment by Iron Duke 09.09.13 @ 11:55 am

Speaking of USC, they lost to Washington St. at home late Saturday?? Couldn’t believe that score when I saw it. Would have watched it, but I don’t get the Pac 12 network I guess.

How the mighty have fallen.

Comment by Dan 09.09.13 @ 12:34 pm

Dan, couldn’t happen to a nicer guy than Lane Kiffin. He and Mack Brown are sharing that hot seat.

Comment by Iron Duke 09.09.13 @ 1:56 pm

@ Dano

Yea that game was a real low scoring affair, after most saw it as a high scoring affair. Week before one of the weaker SEC teams (Auburn) beat WSU.

Kiffen is a joke, only got that job because of his daddy. More nepotism.

Comment by EMel 09.09.13 @ 3:36 pm