April 20, 2012

An Unknown for the O-Line

Filed under: Football,Recruiting — Chas @ 10:12 am

I have not touched this for almost a week. Mainly because I was hoping to get or find something more on this. Pitt got a commit for the 2013 class. Offensive tackle Aaron Reese out of Chambersburg committed. Reese is an, uh, unheralded recruit. He has no rankings. No stars. No scouting reports and Pitt was his first 1-A offer.

Given Pitt’s lack of quality depth on the O-line, and faith that Chryst and Jim Heuber can develop him, there is some optimism. Not to mention the hope that Pitt found a diamond-in-the-rough before others. Since there was at least interest from programs like Wisconsin, Penn State and Rutgers. Reese is just thrilled about choosing Pitt.

“They have everything I wanted,” Reese said. “There are so many opportunities for me at Pitt, it’s just spectacular. I couldn’t find anything negative about it.”

Reese said Penn State may have been the original No. 1 school he was hoping to go to and he has visited Happy Valley many times.

“We didn’t think any school could top what they had,” Reese said, “but Pitt did. Somebody asked me if Penn State gave me an offer right now, would I take it? I’d have to say, no. I’m happy with my decision.”

Penn State and six other Division I schools have been in communication with Reese, as well as three FCS schools, but Pitt made a bold move early and it paid off.

Reese is listed at 6′ 5″ and between 280 and 290 pounds. He has a goal to be up around 305 by the fall.

Interesting side-note is that Reese really wanted to study culinary arts at school. Pitt and most of the other schools he had interest, however, don’t offer that option. Pitt will work with him to intern at local restaurants while Reese has opted to major in elementary education.

@Tossing Thabeets and CNORWOOD, I don’t need to post with you two posting.

Right on the money. I have no delusions of a National Championship. If we would ever get in position, that would be fantastic.

Competing in the ACC, having a meaningful game some day against Clemson, Fla. St. or Georgia Tech, that the country might say, “hey, gotta watch that Pitt-Clemson game at 7:00” is what i’m after.

Ya, a top 10 every 3-4 years, with consistenly being a top 25 program, and a bcs bowl every once in awhile would be nice.

Very difficult to compete with football factories i.e. (Alabama, LSU, USC, OHIO STATE). Almost impossible.

I’m not throwing out the possibility, that if things ever fell right and Pitt went 12-0 in the ACC, we probably would be in the mix.

Not what I’m after though. Back to being a good solid program, dare I say, possibly all fans very disappointed with an 8 or 9 win season!!! That would be fantastic. Could you imagine if winning 8 or 9 games was a bad season???

Allthough we’ll never be a football factory, I do hold out a bit of hope, that if Chryst is the real deal, and stays for awhile, we could become a pretty good football power again.

Kind of funny, as the ACC gets nearer. Everyone including myself always kind of said, “well, the ACC is right above the Big Least”.

Ah, no, it’s quite a ways ahead. Think of the scheduling. With ND and PSU and a cupcake, add UNC, Miami, NC St. Fla. St, BC, Maryland, that’s a HUGE step above the Big Least.

No, it’s not SEC, but, it also cannot be spoken about in the same breath as the BE.

Could be a good thing though, if you beat those teams, you suddenly are on the national radar.

Comment by Dan 04.22.12 @ 9:11 pm

I agree with dan, cnorwood, and thabeets. The alabamas and the lsus are simply on a level that pitt could only compete with if there was a miracle. Pitt has the capability of being in the 9-11 win range every year and the ability to compete for conference and bcs championships. The past two recruiting years have been down, but there have still been bright spots that maybe werent expected such as landing lafayette pitts, getting what appears to be a great group of transfers with christian, vinopal, felder, and banks, plus the emergence of guys like isaac bennett. This team isnt as talented as some past pitt teams but there are some great players on this roster. I expect that to continue and it appears it will but it will takes at least a year or two to get the talent level to where it COULD be.

Comment by Pk 04.22.12 @ 9:22 pm

Ahhh….the refreshing sound of optimism and rationality. Pitt is not in the royalty of college football and expectations have to be tempered. I do believe that Pitt can rise to the level of a Va Tech on the football field though…which would make me ecstatic.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 04.22.12 @ 10:07 pm

Shakir Soto Junior highlight reel:
link to youtube.com

Looks like he has a good motor and a frame with room to bulk up. Most importantly, he looks like he might be an actual football player and not just a 6’4″ guy.

Comment by Dan35 04.22.12 @ 10:55 pm

I like the way he blew up that fullback and then made the tackle on the second play of the reel. Nice job PC & Co!

Comment by Atlanta Panther 04.23.12 @ 12:04 am

I tried watching the spring game and it put me to sleep almost instantly. Wake me up in September!

Comment by Tony C 04.23.12 @ 2:00 am

I am convinced that Chryst has taken the first steps to remaking the culture of Pitt football.

While known for having a great offensive mind, the one big misgiving coming in was that Chryst was lacking in the kind of charisma that would translate into he being a great recruiter.

But all you have to catch from the Blue Gold game was his interaction early on with Ray Graham. It was very telling about the kind of rapport Chryst has already established with his players.

He’s real. They know it. And that is going to go a long way when it comes to recruiting… not to mention how Moms and Dads are going to take to entrusting him with their son’s future.

Can Pitt compete for a National Championship against the Alabamas or the Oklahomas or Floridas?

You betcha.

It just takes a bit of a perfect storm… a season or two where a few key elements fall into place… starting with a quarterback who is a winner.

However, in the meantime, as we wait for the perfect storm… I for one am going to really enjoy watching a team that can be counted on to be organized and show up ready to compete on Saturdays without having to worry the game would be lost simply because of boneheaded decisions or a lack of trust on the part of its Head Coach.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.23.12 @ 9:30 am

Haha, PittofDreams you’ve picked an appropriate screen name. That’s some pretty lofty thinking you’ve got there. I like the optimism though! And I do agree with you about Chryst’s character. Now, will we get the horses we need over time…well I hope so too. HTP!

Comment by Atlanta Panther 04.23.12 @ 9:46 am

One thing I notice about all our recruits is size. So far 3 recruits and none of them is smaller than 6″4′. Granted it’s two linemen and a tight end…

Comment by Atlanta Panther 04.23.12 @ 9:47 am

No smurfs. I like that. The game is won in the trenches so I like Chryst’s focus. Need to be strong up the middle. Skill positions should be the last recruited once the hogs are in place. Seems like we may have our QB in Chad. RB in Shell. Still need that WR on the outside…maybe Foster. Seems to me that the recruiting is picking up and Pitt’s got some momentum going.

Comment by TX Panther 04.23.12 @ 10:33 am

Of all the skilled position recruits, to me, Foster clearly stands out.

Not to go negative on Shell, but Foster clearly stole the show during their nationally televised game on ESPN. This was despite Shell racking up big numbers and Foster being forced to leave the game after suffering an injury to his arm.

Reminds me of a young Michael Irvin.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.23.12 @ 3:34 pm

“Reminds me of a young Michael Irvin.” – without the cocaine hopefully.

Comment by Reed 04.24.12 @ 6:34 pm