May 8, 2014

NFL Draft Day

Filed under: Draft,Football — Chas @ 7:42 am

I still miss the marathon weekend NFL Draft. Completely veg out on the couch. Drink some beer. Take an hour long nap and find out you have missed all of 3 picks. But it is hard to argue against the NFL and ESPN making more money when the demand supports a 2-night and 3d spread out of the draft. Heck, they are already talking about dragging it out to a 4th day. To say nothing of taking the draft on the road.

I would write of the ridiculousness of such a thing, but that would imply that the past 20 years or so of the draft extravaganzas have been considered restrained.

This year, there are reasons for Pitt fans to watch all three days of the draft. Tonight to see where Aaron Donald goes.

One day, it’s No. 14 to Chicago; the next, it’s 16 to Dallas. Sometimes, it goes as high as the No. 10 overall pick to the Detroit Lions.

And every time, Donald’s response is the same.

“Mom, it doesn’t matter,” he’ll say. “It doesn’t matter until they call me that day.”

“I’m the only one that pays attention that stuff,” Goggins said, with a laugh. “He doesn’t.”

Part of that might be because, while the NFL draft is notoriously difficult to predict, Donald’s stock is about as secure as it can be. Almost every mock draft has him going somewhere at or before the Cowboys at the 16th overall pick.

If and when Donald hears his name called Thursday night, he will break a two-year drought for Pitt players getting drafted and would be the first former Panthers player to go in the first round since wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin in 2011. If he goes off the board before the 18th overall pick, a fairly likely scenario, he would be the highest drafted Pitt player since wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald went third overall in 2004.

The Bears are a good possibility, so the Chicago Tribune had a great piece on Donald. A lot of it includes anecdotes and stories of Donald, that we Pitt fans have read over the years.

Friday night will be to see how early in the second round Tom Savage goes. Does he slip back to the third? It doesn’t seem likely at this point. Too many teams are too intrigued by him to let him slip too far. Savage’s story, is also familiar to Pitt fans. Others, only know that his road seems very odd.

As Savage was sitting out at Arizona due to NCAA transfer rules, the school fired coach Mike Stoops and hired Rich Rodriguez, known for his spread offense that often includes a running quarterback.

“I said, ‘Oh my God, I cannot believe this,’ ” said Dan Algeo, Savage’s high school coach. “It just couldn’t have turned out any worse for Tom, because there was no way that he was going to play that style offense.

“You thought to yourself, ‘How much can this kid take?’ You almost feel like there’s a black cat around him.”

Savage said the decision to leave Arizona had more to do with family issues, saying an aunt was ill and he wanted to be closer to home. But either way, he was on the move again. He appealed the NCAA to return to Rutgers, but was denied.

In the meantime, he returned to Springfield and worked construction with his dad, Tom Sr. He would run, lift weights and throw after nearly every shift, and he spent his spare time calling college coaches, begging for another chance.

Part of what has also helped Savage is him taking the responsibility in NFL team interviews for leaving Rutgers after his sophomore year.

Savage injured his throwing hand during the fourth game of the season against Tulane, and backup Chas Dodd rallied the team to victory.

Soon, Dodd took Savage’s place as the starter.

“I really think it was normal growing pains for a quarterback,” said Kirk Ciarrocca, Rutgers’ co-offensive coordinator at the time. “He was asked to shoulder more of the burden, and we weren’t nearly as good a football team.”

Furious and confused over the demotion, Savage transferred after the season. He says now he regrets the choice.

“I was a young, bitter kid, and I was entitled,” Savage said. “And patience wasn’t one of my virtues back then.”

Considering Greg Schiano declared Dodd was the full-time starter it wasn’t completely outrageous to transfer. I mean, Schiano’s handling of QBs with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers demonstrated for most that Schiano isn’t exactly a master of communications.

Then there is Devin Street. There is a chance for him to hear his name called on Friday before the end of the third round, but more likely it will be on Saturday in round four or five. It is a really, really deep draft for wide receivers.

He played in every game from 2010-2012, but shoulder and ankle injuries and a hematoma on his elbow forced him to miss three starts last season.

Predictably, here comes the scrutiny that’s as intense as anything he received from opposing secondaries.

“He’s got some skills,” NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. “I’d like to see him get a little bit stronger. But he can run. He’s got size.

“If he could just beef up, get stronger, win some of those jump balls, I think he’s got a chance to play.”

Mayock’s prediction: “He’s probably going to go in about the fifth round.”

Gil Brandt, who rates prospects for NFL.com after a long career as a personnel man for the Dallas Cowboys, said Street deserves to hear his name called before the end of the draft.

“There are so many wide receivers that I hope he is drafted because he is a quality player,” Brandt said.

Street posted 40-yard times of 4.53 and 4.47 seconds at the NFL Combine that are considered average for his position, but he ran away from enough defenders to register 2,901 receiving yards, third in school history.

“He doesn’t have the great speed that you would like to have,” Brandt said, “but he catches the ball really well.”

Street was never a breakaway receiver. When he starts running, it is more of a stride. That gets faster, but he needs time to build it. He is not explosive off the line or after the catch.

Everyone else, we will hear about on Sunday and Monday with free agent opportunities.

Once again, the long, national nightmare will be over this weekend. I like Ed Bouchette’s (PG) tweet this morning saying that ‘Drafting players is easy, picking where they will be drafted is the hard part’

Comment by wbb 05.08.14 @ 8:35 am

Mike Mayock had Donald sliding to the Bengals at 24, at least 10 spots too late in my opinion. Would hate to see Donald in Bengal stripes. I hope Chicago is smart enough to grab him at 14.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 05.08.14 @ 9:55 am

No chance of the hometown team drafting Donald, the most decorated PITT player EVER ?

Aaron was very good as a DE 2 years ago and could play that in the 3-4 Stiller defense.

The Stillers haven’t drafted anyone that practices right next to them since Hank Poteat.

That’s a long time ago.

Comment by Emel 05.08.14 @ 10:12 am

Emel, the Steelers spent first round picks on two defensive ends, Ziggy Hood and Cam Heyward, in the last five years. Not sure they’re eager to use another one so soon.

Comment by Jeff 05.08.14 @ 10:35 am

This is a deep draft because a huge number of underclassmen have entered. Hope they eventually get their degrees.

Comment by Frank MD 05.08.14 @ 10:36 am

True Jeff,

however a player like Donald only comes along once in a generation or so.

Those 2 marginal players you mentioned are not !

Comment by Emel 05.08.14 @ 10:46 am

I’m with you Chas, the all-weekend draft was a good excuse to veg on the couch or hit a local establishment for a draft or four while watching the draft. I really miss the Saturday noon kickoff of the 1st round.

I also liked when the draft was the 3rd weekend in April, so for consecutive weekends we had The Final Four, The Masters, and The Draft. Thursday night in May is not the same. Progress…

Here’s to hoping this year is the start of many years of seeing Panthers selected in the first 2-3 rounds. Last weekend I watched a rerun of the 30-For-30 “Elway to Marino” about the 1983 draft. Recalling that Pitt had 3 first rounders that year made me realize how far we still have to go as a program. Gotta start somewhere. H2P

Comment by Iron Duke 05.08.14 @ 10:48 am

I don’t know about everyone, but the big production of the NFL draft by ESPN bores the hell out of me.

I can’t imagine sitting on a couch watching this drivel.

I’d rather watch an episode of Hoarders. :-)

Comment by Emel 05.08.14 @ 10:48 am

Steve Adams had 6pts and 5 rebounds last night, not bad for a sophmore.

Comment by alcofan 05.08.14 @ 10:49 am

Ya, Chas, me too. Miss the Old NFL Draft Marathon.

Oh, well.

As for this year, here are some of my thoughts.

- Mack, not Clowney, SHOULD be first off the board to Houston. Overall, the most NFL-READY Player with the Biggest Upside. Nearly as athletically gifted as Clowney, but without the NEGATIVE BAGGAGE. Perfectly suited for the Texans Defensive Scheme which could mean playing some downs STANDING UP at D-End.

- As for Clowney, would NOT touch him HIGH in the First Round… or really at all. Never mind the 4-4 Forty, this kid is a HUGE GAMBLE. Lackadaisical would seem to be the best description, both to the way he approaches the game by taking plays off… and the shallow rehearsed answers he gives to just about every question. It all SCREAMS “DISAPPOINTING ROI”… if not BUST.

- Originally, I bought into Bortels going to Houston since Houston is obviously in dire need of a Quarterback. However, see him now going to Cleveland. REASON? Bortels has been regularly compared to BIG BEN. I see it. Makes sense that the Browns would like their version who, like Roethlisberger… is BIG, MOBILE and DURABLE enough to take the beating that comes with playing in the AFC North… not to mention the brutal weather conditions that come with playing outdoors in Cleveland late in the Fall.

- As for the BIG SURPRISE of the 1st Round… still believe Teams are SANDBAGGING with Derek Carr. 6-3, MOBILE with a QUICK RELEASE not unlike Aaron Rodgers. If it wasn’t for the last name Carr, he would be part of the conversation with Bortels and Manziel.

Believe we’ll see Carr go sooner rather than later in the First Round.

- As for Manziel… sticking with him going to the Minnesota. Vikings Great Fran Tarkenton has been out in public regularly making a case for Manziel as a FUTURE STAR in the NFL… and why not? If Tarkenton can do it, why not Johnny Football… who has a STRONGER ARM… is just as good when it comes to creating MAGIC WITH HIS FEET… and is TWO INCHES TALLER?

The Second Coming of Fran Tarkenton? Maybe. Maybe better.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.08.14 @ 10:50 am

I will take a quick look at it, at the end of the day on a website.

Just so I’m not totally ‘out of the loop’.

But really, the weather is too nice down here this time of year and the golf course or tennis court usually beckons me. Or the sporting activities of the Lake.

Comment by Emel 05.08.14 @ 10:52 am

If I were the Browns, I would trade a draft pick to the Patriots and get Ryan Mallett to be their QB. Then the Pats can get Tom Savage (Tom Brady lite). As a Jets fan this would not make me happy but I think it makes sense for both teams.

Comment by Pitt Dad 05.08.14 @ 11:04 am

Emel, I’m with you about the boredom.

Back in 09, the draft was on a Saturday and it was opposite a Pens-Flyer playoff game. And it was also the same time as a family function I had to attend. Imagine my grief and shock when I arrived to see the TV turned on to the draft instead of the hockey game. I explained to everyone that all we have to do is during every commercial, all we need to do is to turn on ESPN and read the crawl on the bottom … and we are all caught up! However, I was overruled … I still bust their chops about that decision.

Comment by wbb 05.08.14 @ 11:13 am

As for Pitt’s NFL candidates…

- Already posted that if not Manziel in the First Round… Tom Savage would be a good fit in Minnesota… at least on paper. A Norv Turner Offense would seem to be perfectly suited for a Big, Strong-armed Quarterback like Savage who is capable of standing tall in the pocket.

- Aaron Donald going int the 1st Round… is no longer a surprise. What I believe could be a surprise is Jason Hendricks getting picked late in the Draft. Yes. he ran a SLOW Forty which turned Teams away. But any Pitt Fan who has watched Hendricks the past few years know he is a Player and an “INTERCEPTION MAKER.”

- The other Pittster that COULD hear his name called is Devin Street. I say “could” because there are some things about his game that don’t translate to the next level. Lacks Blazing Speed and NOT the Fastest guy in and out of his cuts. Also slight of build that tends to make him a little fragile despite being nearly 6-3.

Hope I’m wrong on this one.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.08.14 @ 11:13 am

Iron Duke, I watch that 30-for-30 special on the 83 Draft … thought it was really good. Aside from live sports, that’s about the only thing I watch on ESPN

Comment by wbb 05.08.14 @ 11:17 am

@Emel, agreed. As big as a sports fan as I am, never got into the draft, even when younger.

Tell me who the Steelers drafted, check out and see where the Pitt kids went, that’s about it.

Never watched all star games either.

Actually, I do remember a couple I watched as a kid in the 70′s. They used to have the NFL Super Bowl champs play a college all star team, I think in late July usually.

The Steelers were in the last one I think, huge lightning storm, rain and electricity everywhere.

I think they called the game at half-time, and I believe that was the last time we ever saw that game.

Comment by Dan 05.08.14 @ 11:37 am

wbb, same here – for me ESPN jumped the shark a while back, but the 30-For-30′s are well done.

Also, based on the results of that Pens/Flyers series, you may have been better off watching the draft that year. My retinas are still burned from watching that debacle.

Comment by Iron Duke 05.08.14 @ 12:00 pm

@ Dan-o

yea I watched that too, the 1979 Super Bowl Champion Steelers vs the College All-Stars from Soldier Field.

Although it could have been a earlier Steeler Super Bowl Champion team.

Nothing more boring to me, than listening to these talking heads on ESPN, yawn on about this and that for 20-30 minutes between picks.

And this goes on for days, lol. No thanks, I’ll take the 99% abbreviated version of the draft on some website.

wbb….I would have been with you back in 2009 and voted on the Pens/Flyers instead of draft.

Really they didn’t want to watch a Pens/Flyers playoff game. Which is hockey’s blood fued matchup as far as I’m concerned. Always hated them since the Broadstreet Bullies days.

Comment by Emel 05.08.14 @ 12:03 pm

@pittodreams – I too see the similarities with Manziel and Tarkenton.

Problem is, defenders are much bigger, faster and stronger today than they were during Fran’s playing days. I’d be surprised if Manziel makes it through 2 seasons without a major injury.

Comment by pghFred 05.08.14 @ 12:24 pm

Cornhole gives an interview to Chris Peak pretty much soft sell but interesting.
link to pittsburgh.rivals.com

Heading out to Reliant Stadium in a few to work the NFL draft party. That too should be interesting.

Comment by TonyinHouston 05.08.14 @ 1:52 pm

I don’t see Savage being picked before a 6th round.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.08.14 @ 2:25 pm

EMel ….I will go you one better. I would rather sit thru an hour of Al Sharpton than watch the draft! No Bucs no Pens..UGH!

Comment by Dan 72 05.08.14 @ 2:46 pm

Iron Duke, ths was back on 09 or 010 … the Pens beat the Flyers then, both game and the series.

If you remember, that was the game whne Pens were down 3-0 and Talbot got into a fight and turned the game around. (Ironically, Talbot went to the Fleyrs 2 years later)

But yes, the most recent playoff games vs the Fleyrs were ugly.

Comment by wbb 05.08.14 @ 2:48 pm

troll in da house!

Comment by Gordo 05.08.14 @ 2:58 pm

TonyinH, hate to be cynical about Smiley (actually I luv it), but he said academic was source a pride, but Aaron Gray back in 07 goes back to when he wasn’t here. Plus, he seemed to take no issue with us going after Mostella.

Don’t get me wrong .. the academic awards is a source of pride for everyone involved with Pitt, and they certainly should be emphasized.

The best thing is there is finally some stability in the program …. both in the coaching positions and the conference. Pitt athletics is in a very good place right now (although I still misss BE basketball)

Comment by wbb 05.08.14 @ 3:00 pm

Gordo, Keep drinking that Koolaid. One season of football and you think he is going to the next level. Oh and b/c a 93 year old scout was high on him. That’s funny.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.08.14 @ 3:27 pm

Oh, and that Team called the Steelers.

Don’t see them having much choice here. Need to go CORNER if one of the Top Three are available in the 1st Round.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.08.14 @ 4:27 pm

Would be nice to hear about something on the recruiting front..anything.

Seems like every other day Pedo St is landing someone. I would still love to know where the karma is? What went on up there was absolutely disgusting, if this jackass Franklin can coach, the sanctions barely scathed them, maybe a little financially.

Looking forward to seeing Aaron Donald’s name called. This kid deserves everything coming his way. Sure gonna miss watching #97 wreak havoc this fall.

Hail to Pitt!!

Comment by Pap76 05.08.14 @ 4:39 pm

I was actually at the last “College All Star ” game , as it was called. It was July 1976 and was called after the third quarter due to a big storm with the Steelers ahead 24-0.

Comment by JLE 05.08.14 @ 5:05 pm

@JLE, thanks. Ya, memory from about 14 or 15 yrs old. Sounds about right.

Comment by Dan 05.08.14 @ 5:25 pm

Troll in da house!!

LMFAO!!

Comment by Dan 05.08.14 @ 5:26 pm

I second that Dan! Just about shit when I read that.

Comment by The Hagen 05.08.14 @ 5:36 pm

Upittbaseball, do you never tire of playing the role of a Dick from the perspective of a true Pitt fan, just asking?

Comment by Dr. Tom 05.08.14 @ 6:14 pm

I wouldn’t lose much sleep over the Jenkins kid. No one at Baldwin can understand all the attention he’s getting other than for his large size. And the Flyers are dicks.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 05.08.14 @ 6:53 pm

was that aaron donald at the end of intro with the ropes?

Comment by usd121 05.08.14 @ 7:03 pm

Oh ya wbb, sorry got my years mixed up. The ’09 Pens-Flyers series was a classic from a Pens fan perspective. I was in Albuquerque that Saturday. Helluva place to try and find a hockey game on TV at a bar.

Comment by Iron Duke 05.08.14 @ 7:20 pm

@ Jeff

This from CBS Sports:

Steeler
NEEDS:
CB, WR, DE, DT

Like I said earlier Hood & Heyward’s play has been underwhelming.

Take Donald if available.

Comment by Emel 05.08.14 @ 7:55 pm

lol Doc.

So true, it’s almost a given..what Upitt will say.

Guy hasn’t posted for weeks then…..takes a shot a Pitt thru Savage.

The genes say Hoopies and Pedo’s…….

Comment by Emel 05.08.14 @ 7:57 pm

^^ at Pitt thru taking a shot at Savage.

Comment by Emel 05.08.14 @ 7:58 pm

@ JLE

That’s some good trivia !

Win a few drinks at a bar no doubt. As long as you make sure nobody goes to the john to use their i for idiot phone. ha

Comment by Emel 05.08.14 @ 8:00 pm

Donald to rams

Comment by wbb 05.08.14 @ 8:31 pm

Savage was terrible and took sacks left and right and lacked accuracy. It isnt s shot at Pitt but at a qb who played 1 season in 3 years and you guys want to crown because he wore a Pitt jersey for 4 months. I find that hilaraious.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.08.14 @ 8:56 pm

Upittbb, if you were a true Pitt fan, you would realize that if he gets drafted high, it would be a boost for recruiting. Russell Wilson only played 4 months for Wisc but despite his natural talent, he wasn’t consider a pro prospect. If Savage, who hadn’t played since 2010, would be picked high, it would be another example of PC enhancing a QB’s propects.

Comment by wbb 05.09.14 @ 6:27 am

Congrats to AD, another 1st Round Pitt Panther. He did it even though administration, you know who, botched the coaching picks at legendary levels.

He overcame his size with strength, speed, character, and heart. The Poster Boy for Pitt Football.

How about that UPitt? Say something nice.

Comment by gc 05.09.14 @ 7:56 am

Today we find out if Savage overcomes his poor choices and bad luck with schools and coaches.

He seems like a class kid to me.

Comment by gc 05.09.14 @ 7:58 am

Come on Upitt….Savage played behind one of the worst offensive lines (especially pass blocking) that I’ve ever witnessed on the football field.

Lacked accuracy…..lol. He completed over 61% of his passes and were not talking about dinktino passes. Savage was throwing the ball all over the field. And was Pitt’s best long passer since Alex Van Pelt.

Completing over 61% of your passes while under constant duress or harassment, with at times, including no running game is a pretty good accomplishment.

And you would be hard pressed to find any college QB that had a better game than Savage did in leading PITT to the 58-55 win over Duke.

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 8:04 am

A big congrats to Pitt’s 25th 1rst round draft pick, one Aaron Donald.

Who I still say the Stillers should have traded up a couple spots to get.

But of course we all know how great Kevin Colbert and Tomlin have been with the draft. Those nitwits even passed on the best RB in the NFL in LeSean McCoy, who was sharing Heinz Field and UPMC with them.

For what, they thought Rashad Mendanhall and Levion Bell were better. That’s hilarious.

And it’s hilarious Colbert still has his job.

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 8:11 am

Guys that play in the slow Big Joke don’t impress me.

But they sure seem to impress Colbert and Tomlin.

This makes 2 Ohio States in the last couple years and one Michigan Stater.

They had the chance to get the LB from Alabama, instead they chose a LB playing against inferior competition in the Big Joke.

And they get paid big bucks for these decisions.

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 8:16 am

Oh….and Mendanhall was another Big Joke bust.

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 8:19 am

The Rams got an “A” rating for their pick.

Aaron Donald | DT, Pittsburgh

What a great pick from the Rams. They get one of the best defensive players in the draft at this spot.
A

CBS Sports

I concur ! H2P VeV !

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 8:31 am

@upittbaseball. You’re argument is completely false.

No one here has said anything about Savage is the second coming of Marino. No one has said they want to crown him anything.

He has a cannon for an arm. The pros always take kids with cannons regardless of their lack of other skills.

These are two indisputable facts.

Along with reports and blurbs from the media and people in the NFL saying that he’ll get a shot.

That’s the only kind of stuff I’ve seen people saying.

NOW, to the the biggest indisputable thing…..

You would have much more credibility, if you ever said anything positive about Pitt. If you do, those comments are very seldom, and very few and far between.

Above poster was correct. Don’t see you for weeks, then when you show up, it’s always negative.

To each their own certainly, I myself get a kick out of your comments and get a good chuckle when I see you post.

Just can’t be taken seriously.

Another ind

Comment by Dan 05.09.14 @ 9:03 am

“Another ind”, ha ha, beginning of me typing a report out on another screen!! LOL

I imagine I’ve probably accidentily sent reports to clients talking about Pitt script too!!!!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 05.09.14 @ 9:09 am

just ignore upittbaseball/joeD, this is why he posts, to get attention. I bet he’s a lot of fun to be around, eh?

My opinion on Savage is that he has all the right measurables, size, arm strength, long pass accuracy. In fairness to him, he displayed a lot of courage, and needed to given our oline’s performance last year. I would be surprised if he were successful at the next level though, due to his lack of short term passing accuracy/touch, and in my estimation, his iffy decision making. I think those weaknesses will hold him back. I hope I’m wrong, I will be rooting for him.

Comment by 1618mt 05.09.14 @ 9:12 am

Hey, maybe he won’t even get drafted. He’ll certainly be invited to a camp as a free agent.

Some said last fall, that he wouldn’t even be invited to a camp.

None the less, the disappearing for weeks, only to show up with negativity is puzzling.

Funny, but puzzling.

Comment by Dan 05.09.14 @ 9:30 am

GC – Donald is all class and a stud. Couldn’t be happier for him and to get us back in the limelight in a positive way.

Emel – Steelers always draft bad. Glaring needs but let’s take someone that doesn’t fit and let’s pass on the kid that played at Bama or the CB. Big 10 sucks….

Negative??? I said he isn’t a good QB in my opinion for the NFL. You guys talking about he could go to Minny in first round and all that I had to say my opinion. He is probably a great kid but I don’t think he goes before the 6th round. You can call it negative, I choose to call it reality.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.09.14 @ 9:49 am

Steelers ALWAYS draft bad … seriously!! Six SB rings. more than anyone else!

1974 Draft: 1. Swann (HOF) 2. Lambert (HOF) 4. Stallworth (HOF) 5. Webster (HOF)

Comment by wbb 05.09.14 @ 10:12 am

I just don’t get the busting on Savage. He was at Pitt for 2 years btw. Had to sit in Year 1 due to transfer. Believe he paid his own way that year.

Hadn’t played a down of real football for 3 years.
I don’ care how good you are, that is something right there. And then in only his 3rd game he throws for 424 yards and 6 TD’s, that is incredible. And against the same team Savage’s stats were better than Johnny Football put up against the same team. And he was a 1rst round pick.

So again I don’t get the hate directed toward him.

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 10:22 am

Wbb- I’m talking the last 15 or so years…. Not speaking literally when I say always…

Emel – I never said never played a down of real football. I said he played one season in 3 years. I’m just not impressed with him. You don’t have a few good games and just pop up in the 1st or 2nd round like many said he was climbing into off the words of a 80 year old prior gm.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.09.14 @ 10:32 am

WBB – That was 40 years ago.. Name good picks we made or passed up over last 10 years. Did great getting Ben… You do remember passing on Sean Lee for Mr. Worilds????

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.09.14 @ 10:34 am

The Steelers have played in 3 of the last 9 Super Bowls, winning 2.

Polamalu. Pouncey, Taylor, Holmes, Ward, Harrison (free agent), Wallace, Faneca, Miller,… all ths millennium

Comment by wbb 05.09.14 @ 10:47 am

Being a Pitt man, I find it just incredulous the Steelers passed on most all of PITT’s great players.

Of who many to numerous to list went on to All-Pro careers and even the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

You want an inside pass rush, they could have moved up a spot or two to grab Donald.

Instead they pick another Suckeye from Ohio Fake.

They are mediocre because of their love of Big Joke players.

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 10:54 am

Colbert could not recognize the talent of one LeSean McCoy who was only practicing on a field adjoining the Stillers practice facility and one who shared Heinz Field.

No wonder the Stillers went from being the best rushing team to the worst in a couple seasons.

The putz should be run out of town on a rail

The Pittsburgh Lions of Kevin Colbert.

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 10:57 am

There were signs along Houston freeways telling the Texans to draft Manziel. Oh, the sweet irony:
link to nytimes.com

Aaron Donald is class all the way.

ESPN is working hard to make Franklin the new big thing, obviously tapping into the vast Penn State alumni pool to increase readership….but we do have four games coming up and are they really going to be all that?

Comment by TonyinHouston 05.09.14 @ 10:59 am

@ TonyH

Sounds like Charlatan is a nutcase as well.

Franklin’s a germaphobe: One of the more light-hearted exchanges occurred when the head coach grabbed a nearby water bottle and questioned whether it had already been opened — and then reiterated his concern when the cap was loose.”OK, I’m a germaphobe,” he admitted. “I am. I have been stuck in a bathroom before. You know, the hand-dryers are really cool — but then I don’t have a towel to open the door. I will stand there for 15-20 minutes until someone comes in to get out.”

Although I think we already knew he was a sociopath.

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 11:11 am

Who was it that projected Manziel going to the Vikings?

I think it was me.

My Bad.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.09.14 @ 11:18 am

“Franklin has already visited three Pennsylvania towns — State College, York and Hershey — and here are the highlights of what he’s said so far:”

Um…..how does someone who’s coach at Creepy Valley visit State College.

And what kind of reception did the Charlatan get there ? lol

Epicenter of The Cult !

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 11:24 am

However, it does seem I may have been right about the Browns and Bortels.

When Jacksonville SHOCKED the Draft and plucked Bortels off the Board, the Browns were out of there at “4.”

With all the talk about Manziel POSSIBLY going to the Vikings at “8″ or the Titans at “11″ or the Cowboys at “16″… there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY the Browns had their HEART set on Manziel when they fell back all the way to “22.”

It WAS Bortels for the Browns.

After Bortels it seems the Browns were willing to gamble on getting ANY ONE of the THREE QBs… Manziel, Carr or Bridgewater… obviously with Manziel being their first choice from that group.

As much as I like Manziel and feel that he will be a STAR… going to the Browns at “22″ just DRAMATICALLY INCREASED the DEGREE of DIFFICULTY.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.09.14 @ 11:29 am

Emel, I really think that there is something to the fact that the Steelers have not drafted a Pitt player since they started to share the practce facility. They have signed some free agents but not drafted anyone. Not sure, if they consider it tampering or a conflict, or something.

Comment by wbb 05.09.14 @ 11:30 am

Living here in Cleveland and being stuck with all of their games on TV (which I rarely watch), I am thrilled the Browns drafted Manziel. I might actually watch them more often … it should be fun.

Comment by wbb 05.09.14 @ 11:33 am

NFL scouts and PPD’s think Savage will be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. It’s been reported all over every sports media outlet for 2 months. That story didn’t originate on Pitt Blather with one of us talking out his ass. So if anyone is drinking the koolaid it is the NFL experts, not Blatherites.

Even if Savage is a total sham and becomes the next Ryan Leaf, all of the discussion about Savage pre-draft is a big win for Pitt. If he gets drafted today, another win. If he actually turns out to be a legit NFL QB, another win. Savage appears to be a great kid, a hard worker, and is hungry for success. How can you not at least root for him? Why go negative on this story???

Comment by Iron Duke 05.09.14 @ 11:36 am

From a Pitt Perspective… what will be VERY INTERESTING today is if all the talk about Tom Savage SHOOTING UP the Draft Board was really true.

The Vikings jumping ahead of Houston to grab Bridgewater tells you that they’re convinced the Texans are grabbing a Quarterback at the Top of the Second Round.

Who is it going to be… Savage… or Carr or Mettenberger… or someone else?

One thing I do know is that Bill O’Brien personally attended the Pitt Pro Day… and it wasn’t to scout Aaron Donald.

Don’t think it’ll be Savage… not that HIGH.

Hope I’m wrong… again.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.09.14 @ 11:38 am

IF… I had to say… given Mettenberger’s injury and testing issues… it’s going to be the Second Coming of Carr to Texas.

Betting on TWO with the hope that ONE succeeds… is a pretty good bet.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.09.14 @ 11:44 am

Just like the rating services (Rivals, Scout, etc), the NFL draft selects based on physical characteristics. This large OL from Baldwin Jenkins has hardly made an impact in high school as yet on the field but has all of the tools (Shayne Hale and TJ Clemmings were similar).

If there was ever a protypical drop-back Pro QB, it is Savage. 6’5, cannon arm, etc … what’s not to like?

Comment by wbb 05.09.14 @ 11:47 am

Draft is fun to watch as teams surprise us. Steelers seem to have bad luck in their picks and no outstanding trades to get playmakers. Pro game changing and lack of speed now kills.
We NEED to start recruiting now.

Comment by Frank MD 05.09.14 @ 11:47 am

@ wbb….it’s more than that.

They also didn’t draft Tony Dorsett, Mark May, Hugh Green, Bill Fralic, Matt Cavanaugh, Gordon Jones, Dan Marino, Rueben Brown, Jimbo Covert, Russ Grimm, Mark Stepnowski, Carlton Williams, Tim Lewis, Jerry Boyarsky, Al Romano, Elliot Walker, Bob Jury, Larry Fitzgerald, HB Blades, Clint Sessions, Ricky Jackson, Tony Siragusa, etc., etc.

But they did somehow draft (albeit in the 12th round), the incredibly talented, one and only Sal Sunseri.

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 11:54 am

Now you have to have an incredible lack of eye talent to perform that !

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 11:55 am

Regarding the Steelers and recent Draft Picks… know this for a fact.

Every once in awhile the Head Coach likes to exercise his power and trump the other votes when it comes to taking a player he really wants.

But, hey… when you’re the HC… why not? Not a problem so long as it works.

The problem is… there have been some misses.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.09.14 @ 11:55 am

^^Carlton Williamson (all-pro Saftey SF 49′ers)

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 11:57 am

He of course made the huge 4rth quarter inception at Creepy Valley in our 1979 win over the Pedophiles.

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 11:58 am

The last Pitt 1st round pick the Steelers took was Tom Ricketts .. a total bust

They had little problem raiding Pitt’s coachng ranks though (T Lewis, John Fox, a couple more I can’t recall)

Comment by wbb 05.09.14 @ 12:00 pm

I guess it’s a compliment when pro teams raid your coaching ranks .. like the Steelers and Kentucky

Comment by wbb 05.09.14 @ 12:03 pm

Ricketts kid was a bust too. Must run in the family.

Hate to say !

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 12:08 pm

Like to calculate how many Ped State players the Stillers have drafted since 1975.

Think that might have something to do with their success and our mediocrity (sans 1973-1984 & 2009) all these years ???

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 12:10 pm

I think the Steelers get to know the Pitt players too well and as the old saying goes, “Familiarity breeds contempt”. Well maybe not contempt but certainly doubts. The other old saying, “The grass is always greener over there” (meaning other colleges’ players).

Comment by Frank MD 05.09.14 @ 1:34 pm

Wbb,

Pouncey hasn’t done much. He was a big name but never played in the Super Bowl (Hurt), injury prone, etc. Made a pro-bowl one year though I think. His brother is the one with the talent.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.09.14 @ 2:20 pm

His brother is being associated with Aaron Hernandez.

Comment by wbb 05.09.14 @ 2:57 pm

The Steeler draft were incredible in the 1970′s when we had a heads up on the rest of the league with the incredible scouting talents of Jack Butler.

When Butler started Blesto those talents became available to more teams.

The 1980′s was a mediocre decade for the Steelers due to lots of draft busts.

Similar to what’s been going on for the last several years. Are some exceptions like Antonio Brown. But few and far between.

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 2:58 pm

UPitt, Pouncey is a great talent, but he has been injury prone.

Steelers biggest blunders, Walter Abercrombie over Marcus Allen, Gabe Rivera over Dan Marino.

They make those two picks and they have four more Superbowls.

But all in all, they still have the most Superbowl victories. So recruiting hasn’t been all that bad.

Two best recent picks, Ben and Troy, Troy in the Hall for sure, Ben needs to win one more championship, considering the competition, Brady, Manning(2), Rogers and his off the field escapades.

Steelers do need to break out of their recent draft slump.

By the way Emel, most of the guys you list were already off the board when the Steelers picked. At least the great ones.

Sunseri had to be a favor.

Comment by gc 05.09.14 @ 3:00 pm

Also the cyclical effect is in play, imo

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 3:00 pm

Most of the Pitt players worth drafting were off the board by the time the Steelers drafted. I guess they should have traded away the team to get them like Ditka did for Ricky Williams. You have to take the Pitt glasses off & look at the players for what they are.

Comment by Nick 05.09.14 @ 3:13 pm

Disgraced Jim Tressel to be president of YSU. Really! Sad day for that school.

Comment by alcofan 05.09.14 @ 3:16 pm

Come on Nick, take a look at a few Pitt great players I posted at 11:54. Don’t give me that !

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 4:16 pm

YSU….lol alco

Tressel is as short as a Penguin. Must have been that !!! :-)

Comment by Emel 05.09.14 @ 4:17 pm

Paul’s Grey Sweatshirt was just picked up by Houston in second round.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.09.14 @ 4:44 pm

Off topic to basketball. CBS Sportsline has an article on a high school basketball coach who supposedly has 3 potential sons with McDonald’s all American talent.

He’s ready to become a D1 college assistant & guarantee his sons to his new employer.

Is this why Slice hasn’t bee replaced.

I would provide link but can’t figure out how to do it.

I would appreciate any help. I use Monzilla firefox

Comment by PITT-cocks fan 05.09.14 @ 5:27 pm

Emel, In addition to Butler, Steelers hired 1st black scout, Bill Nunn JR, who just died the other day. I suggest you look at his obit published in both Pgh Papers. 1st black to be accepted by MLB sportswriters, in black college FB HOF, BB captain at Westinghouse HS whose teammate (Chuck Cooper) was 1st black drafted in NBA and worked for Steelers for 46 years (6 SB rings.) Found in the small colleges … M Blount, D Shell, E Holmes, LC Greenwood, J Stallworth … and more.

His bio was stunning

Comment by wbb 05.09.14 @ 5:40 pm

Pitt-cocks here is the story

link to cbssports.com

Comment by wbb 05.09.14 @ 5:43 pm

wbb – thanks

Pretty refreshing to hear a high school coach come out and say he will use his sons for job advancement. I know it happens in non sports life but don’t see it so out right stated in sports

Comment by PITT-cocks fan 05.09.14 @ 5:58 pm

Sorry reread my comment. I didn’t mean it in a pedo state way.

Comment by PITT-cocks fan 05.09.14 @ 6:10 pm