February 25, 2014

On The Bright Side… Recruiting

Filed under: Basketball,Recruiting — Chas @ 8:35 am

Frustrating as the season is going, there is always the hope of the future. Pitt is still recruiting for the 2014 class, despite appearing to be filled. It may be that they don’t know if Detrick Mostella will get his grades in order. It may be that they think someone might leave. But, Pitt is still pursuing Kobie Eubanks with a vengeance.

Eubanks is a high 3- to 4-star guard and teammate of 2015 commit Damon Wilson. He’s going to be waiting to the end of the last recruiting cycle to make his decision, but based on his visit choices Pitt is in the final mix.

The 6-foot-5 Eubanks will trip to Wichita State (March 1), Pittsburgh (March 3), Missouri (March 5), Baylor (TBA) and Minnesota (TBA).

Last Sunday, Eubanks told SNY.tv Pitt was working the hardest. His teammate, Damon Wilson, is committed there already for 2014.

“Kobie Eubanks is as good of 3-point shooter,” longtime New York recruiting expert Tom Konchalski said. “He has a picture-perfect stroke and shooting remains basketball’s EZ Pass. He can really shoot the ball.”

It’s still a tough group to beat. Frank Haith at Mizzou may be a “meh” coach, but he has been a tremendous recruiter. Same with Scott Drew at Baylor. Minnesota now has Richard Pitino running things, and he does seem to have his dad’s gift in recruiting.

I’d like to think that anyone who can shoot a three with any consistency has moved up in priority this season.

The primary target remains power forward Cheick Diallo — one of the top-10 players nationally — and another teammate of Wilson and Eubanks.

Pitt is also aiming high for 2015 and guards with the pursuit of Isiah Briscoe continuing.

Here’s a nice article on 2016 commit, Maverick Rowan.

Rowan comes by his basketball skills honestly. His dad, Ron, was an all-state player at Beaver Falls in the early 1980s then matriculated first to Notre Dame then to St. John’s, where he enjoyed an excellent career in the Big East.

Although Rowan was blessed with natural athletic ability, the player he has become today and hopes to turn into in the future was credited to one attribute — practicing.

“Practicing means everything,” Rowan said. “If you don’t practice, then you won’t be any good. That’s why I practice as much as I can. Coach always tells us that we need to take anywhere between 500 to 1,000 shots a day.”

I said it when he made the verbal, and I think it bears repeating. I’m not angsting over whether he is going to still be at Pitt in 2016. Not because of the Terrelle Pryor past example. It’s simply because he is a 16-year old teenager. Interests. Emotions. Everything changes. I can’t honestly believe a kid should be expected to be locked in to his future school more than 2-years in advance.

I hope he does become a Panther. Everything about the kids seems really positive and that he would be a great player and student at Pitt.

Maybe you need to wash them and start over.

Comment by Justinian 02.27.14 @ 10:09 am

Just one fan’s summary points/opinion, for those who couldn’t get the game last night:

1. The excellent, fun-to-watch Panthers from earlier in the season are still MIA, visibly devoid of their Durandergy.

2. No good excuse, unfortunately, for JR not taking a shot the entire game, shows he is completely out of sync right now for whatever reason. Pitt’s ceiling is guaranteed to be very low unless this changes. Guaranteed.

3. Really lackadaisical/sloppy turnovers by Cam & Lamar on multiple occasions.

4. Artis has an offensive game desperately needed on this team, he just needs to come around on D. Disagree with a comment above, if anything, I’d play him more and allow him to learn on the court, especially given what he brings to the table.

5. Mike Young still doesn’t know how to use his body under the basket. I am not sure what the answer is, but I think he would do well to be a workout fiend over the summer, and start playing angry.

6. Still painful to watch JR & Cam play both guard spots at the same time, since neither penetrate (and Cam certainly shouldn’t try) OR are 3 pt threats. How hard do you think that is to guard? Again, 2 guards in at the same time, neither of which penetrate or are threats from 3.

7. And Finally, there was one play late in the game when Newirk did that blow-by for the layup- wow! A sight for sore eyes!

Comment by 1618mt 02.27.14 @ 10:10 am

It’s like hitting the re-set button.

Comment by Justinian 02.27.14 @ 10:11 am

always fun to make fun of WVU…

link to i.imgur.com

Comment by Snala The Panther 02.27.14 @ 10:12 am

lol pmdH2P

They almost didn’t work last night, you better wash those bad boys before they completely REVOLT against you and more importantly US !!!

Comment by Emel 02.27.14 @ 10:13 am

What does a tornado and a divorce in WV have in common? Either way, someone is losing a trailer.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 02.27.14 @ 10:15 am

lol Snala,

Must have been Paul Rhoad’s son holding that.

Comment by Emel 02.27.14 @ 10:16 am

@1618

Cam penetrates and the ball gets swatted just as fast back out again.

JR has learned after several swats to put the breaks on and either reverse course or heave it back outside.

Don’t know how many shots we’ve had blocked this year, but I knew it was bad when Albany was blocking outr shots. 🙂

Comment by Emel 02.27.14 @ 10:21 am

btw it’s WVcc.

University implies there’s some sort of learning going on there.

Comment by Emel 02.27.14 @ 10:24 am

Pardon offer here is the thing he has 2 offers that is it at this time he my be better then it looks.
But all the outher offers are big time players it seams.
I dont want us to drop back to the kind of offers we have given in the past.
all the 4 star and 5 star that we have offers out to do we want to drop back to 2 star or lower 3 star offers like we had in the past.

Comment by Frankcan 02.27.14 @ 10:26 am

1618mt, You can live with a pure point guard like Robinson, if have a good shooting 2 guard. It’s tough at times with Wright and Robinson in together. Cam did a good job last night and he’s very good finisher in transition. There’s no way to sugar coat it. Durand Johnson coming in off the bench to fill those needs was very important to this Pitt team. I like our freshmen and think they are doing well. Unfortunately you can’t realistically expect them to be playing like seniors.

Comment by Justinian 02.27.14 @ 10:31 am

I still think that there is some magic left in these “blue and gold” puppies. And, while they have failed in both clean and crusty condition, I am leaning to clean being the more powerful. So, they will be clean and on my lovely body for Sunday’s game.

H2P

Comment by pmdH2P 02.27.14 @ 10:32 am

JD loves his projects Frankie, he can micromanage them more. And they’ll put up with it. 😉

Always a consideration ! lol

Comment by Emel 02.27.14 @ 10:32 am

Yoi,

That game last night dropped our RPI another 4 spots to #45. Soon we’ll be OFF the first page.

link to espn.go.com

Comment by Emel 02.27.14 @ 10:37 am

Wow it dropped our SOS to #80. Yikes

We were just in the mid 50’s a week or two ago.

Comment by Emel 02.27.14 @ 10:39 am

No wonder BC’s RPI is a staggeringly bad #186.

Worse than these heavyweights: Drake, Florida Gulf Coast, Utah Valley (yes Valley), Northern Colorado, Bryant (yea that place that offered Trey a scholie), North Texas, Southern U, Wofford, High Point, Montana (to wax some Dental Floss), Stoney (End)Brook, and last but not least…Nebraska-Omaha. To name a few.

Comment by Emel 02.27.14 @ 10:44 am

I can’t believe winning a conference game on the road would lower Pitt’s RPI. I didn’t realize how bad BC really is. If Pitt wants to be safe they better win 2 of the last 3.

Comment by Wardapalooza 02.27.14 @ 11:11 am

First let me say that I hope you and your family well Chas! Very concerned. Family is a priority.
This Pitt stuff is entertainment. Hope your job situation is not threatend by the idiots in DC.

Last night I watchd JR most of the evening and he looks like he is favoring his right leg. In his missed FT, he did not bend his knees at all.

Things not on Dixon catagory….every time a team presses Pitt, we act suprised as hell. You learn from rec ball on that late in a game with your opponent trailing and after a made baske, a full court press is probably coming. Yet….there was Pitt with 2 minutes to go, inbounding the ball to JR and all 4 players running up the court without even a glance back at JR who was gettin triple teamed. TO BC! OK…so now it is the same scenerio a minute later and same situation….ball inbounded to JR and the entire team runs upcourt without even a glance back at JR. This resuled in a desperate JR pass up court and we were called for over and back. This is just stupid non thinking non aware basketball!! Not on Dixon unless they have become such puppets that they have given up on thinking on their own.

Comment by Dan 72 02.27.14 @ 11:23 am

I only heard about 2 minutes worth on the radio, about midway through the second half. And here is what I heard: three possessions in a row where the shot clock went down to 10 before the offense apparently even considered a shot. One of those possessions ended with Lamar apparently heaving up an NBA three and the other Artis stepping out of bounds on the baseline as he scrambled to get a shot off.

Was this par for the last 10 minutes of the game?

Comment by Carmen 02.27.14 @ 11:30 am

Ward… I guess your answer to extending the same benefit to Chryst is “No.”

Now, I do hope and THINK Pitt will find a way into the NCAAs.

BUT, if they don’t… Man, you and the other members of the “Jamie Can Do No Wrong” Gang better get those wagons ready.

Comment by PittofDreams 02.27.14 @ 11:40 am

@EMel – still 18 on BPI and KenPom (no change from before the game) so I guess RPI is just more sensitive to Opponents SOS or the others give more credit for a conference win on the road.

Comment by Pitt Dad 02.27.14 @ 11:50 am

ND isn’t going to help much either as their RPI I think was #112.

A loss there could force us to almost have to win 2-3 games in the ACC tourney.

As a loss at ND would probably knock our RPI down to the 60’s range.

Comment by Emel 02.27.14 @ 12:24 pm

@Snala, you’re beautiful! Already posted it online, 7 “likes” in less than a couple minutes!!

LOL

Comment by Dan 02.27.14 @ 12:58 pm

@Emel, what are we even offering a 2 star for?

I thought are program was past that stage?

Don’t tell me he’ll fit the system. The system needs adjusted.

We need players and athletes. We need horses!!

It’s the same as football. It’s actually quite simple……..

You need to have better players, to have better teams.

I also know, that the star system is many a times a hit and miss, and can be a crapshoot.

However, it is a guide.

Like I’ve said in football, I will do the same in basketball.

Give me five, 4 or 5 star recruits, and I’ll kick your team of 2 and 3 star recruits ass, up and down the sidewalk daily.

Comment by Dan 02.27.14 @ 1:04 pm

“our”, sorry, I can’t, not correct myself.

Talk about a “clang”.