April 9, 2013

I suggested to my wife that for our anniversary, we take off work early, pull the kids from school and take a romantic drive to Bethel Park for the Pitt Spring Game. That went about as well as you would expect. It did, however, make her more amenable to me watching the livefeed on ESPN3 at 7 pm.

The big thing is that Spring Practices are nearly done, and it feels like not a lot has been learned. Yes, there was the drama of Rushel Shell deciding to transfer, but that was more distraction. Not on-the-field, except to give Isaac Bennett and Malcolm Crockett a lot more first team snaps.

Pitt ran its practices almost entirely under cover of the NCAA Tournament. For Paul Chryst that may not have been the plan, but it was definitely a perk.

From the QB competition to the shuffling positions of players to on-the-job training for a rookie defensive coordinator to figuring out where some of the freshmen will fit on the roster come the summer to determining what attrition needs to happen (and how) for the scholarship limit; there are a lot of things that should be getting plenty of attention.

Yet it seems like this spring practice has been been uneventful in terms of all those things. Or at least it doesn’t seem like there is a deep angst over them.

Part of it is simply there isn’t any information out there. We just don’t know about these things. There’s the rumors, speculation, reasoned projections. Logical conclusions made, but nothing certain.

I would also suggest that Pitt fans are a little weary. Not apathetic. Just tired of all the drama. From the transfers to the coaching carousel crap to the mind-blowing losses. The recruiting drama that always happens. It’s been an exhausting few years.

Then there is Coach Chryst. He can be bland and dry (read: boring) in what he says and how he acts. He sure as hell doesn’t give the media that much. But he also projects a calm assurance that things will work themselves out the right way. That he and the staff will get this team ready for the upcoming season. There are still plenty of questions about him as a gameday head coach and what kind of recruiter he can be in the long-term. But at least things feel stable with him as the head coach.

At least ’til the next disaster hits.

curling up on an early Friday evening, a lit fire, a bottle of wine and a computer … what more can she ask for?

Comment by wbb 04.09.13 @ 8:37 am

Other than Shell, the under the radar is good.

Expectations are low, so who knows?

Comment by gc 04.09.13 @ 8:46 am

COOK breakfast take it to her in bed then take
her to lunch at a nice place then kiss her on
the cheek as you rush out the door at 3 so you
have time to drive to the game she wont be to mad
after all that.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.09.13 @ 8:48 am

Frankcan, you are a romantic, I love it.

Comment by gc 04.09.13 @ 9:28 am

For the most part, people’s minds remain open with regard to how they view Chryst as a Head Coach.

This includes top recruits like Shai McKenzie of Washington who reportedly still includes Pitt as a possible destination.

However, next season will go a long way to cementing how Chryst is viewed.

It is CRITICAL for Chryst to OUTPERFORM expectations this fall.

Doing so, will make Pitt a serious option to consider for top recruits. Meeting or even falling short of expectations could very well relegate Pitt to mediocrity for the next few years which in turn could seriously jeopardize Chryst’s future no matter how good of a coach he may be when it comes to Xs and Os.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.09.13 @ 9:32 am

sorry off topic but the speed, the shooting , atheletic play ,fr, soph, coaching errors, ref errors,that tempo has not been seen at pitt for a while , as seen at the nc game last night

Comment by paul shannon 04.09.13 @ 9:38 am

AND… regarding the Shell saga.

John Harris makes his pitch in today’s Trib as to why we all need to cut Shell some slack.

Harris defends his point of view by putting Shell on a pedestal as a 19-year-old “Possessing rare athletic ability to potentially earn millions of dollars carrying a football.”

Harris goes on… “Shell leaving Pitt is no different than former Florida Gulf Coast men’s basketball coach Andy Enfield leaving his players behind for a more glamorous, lucrative position at USC. Enfield is doing what he thinks is best for him and his family.”

Funny, how Harris completely fails to mention a couple of little girls back in Pittsburgh who happen to call Rushel “Daddy.”

Amazing.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.09.13 @ 9:45 am

Boring can be a good thing. I was glad to see no major season ending injuries crop up at this point in the Spring, plaguing any of the starters &/or the key reserves, so that is a very good thing. Come the fall camp it will be interesting to see how some of the new Freshmen will work their way into the mix. Dorian Johnson may have an immediate impact in giving depth to the OL. With Shell now gone, does James Conner see the field as a true Freshman? And let us not forget about our new secret weapon on the special teams, Chris Blewitt. I’m telling you guys, you have no idea of how good this kid kicks! He is going to prove his worth this season, mark my words.

Now regarding Coach Chryst’s demeanor and his boring style, no kidding????, his interviews sometimes are less interesting than watching grass grow, but yes he has given some stability to the program for a year, although “stability” is not ALWAYS a good thing. Like the joke about the Surgeon who came out of the O.R. to speak to the wife of a heart attack victim that he had operated on. The wife asks the doctor how her husband was doing after his heart surgery and the Surgeon replies,”your husband’s condition is currently STABLE”. The wife with a sigh of relief then asks,”so he is going to be alright then”? The surgeon shakes his his head and explains, “Oh no,,, he died over an hour ago”.

Hopefully Pitt’s football program won’t be that kind of “STABLE” in our inaugural year in the ACC.

Comment by Dr. Tom 04.09.13 @ 9:59 am

Dixon, a great coach, has more competition recruiting. The top and near top tier level players are going elsewhere.

In Women’s sports we don’t have anything going.

Minor sports carry no weight at Pitt.

Louisville is the new boss on the block and will continue to be so in the ACC.

Not spending money must be part of it. Where is the plan to inprove? Does Lousiville have an assistant AD we could bring in?

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 04.09.13 @ 10:48 am

I found the Harris piece, he’s entitled to his opinion, mine is he (Harris) is a blithering idiot. Maybe he is trying to get a new job as a PR apologist for the entitled athlete.

“Stupid is as stupid does” Forrest Gump, all American at Alabama

Comment by gc 04.09.13 @ 10:59 am

@Old Pitt Grad

Somehow I believe we’re going to be saddled with Cornhole Stevie until ‘he’ decides to leave, step down, retire, whatever.

I feel Pitt is going to just be satisfied, raking in the additional money from the ACC and I really don’t know how I feel about that.

As in… do I want to invest my time, emotions and money on an organization that is as miss-run as Pitt sports is.

Unless the football Gods somehow find it in their hearts to reverse course on their 30 year mostly disdain of Pitt football, I can see us or Syracuse being the new doormat of the ACC, as Duke appears in last few years of shaking that previously annual position.

Perhaps entering a new Conference, the football Gods will breathe new life into Pitt football.

It’s certainly well, well overdue !

Comment by EMel 04.09.13 @ 11:21 am

I said two weeks ago to offer a blank check to the Louisville AD. Tell him to fill it out. Basektball Mens and Womans NCAA Championship Game. Football = Studs and Baseball they are ranked 12th I think. The Univeristy has it going on. I’m sure the people will pound me and say they have low academic standards, etc. If you guys knew some of the guys that attended Pitt for Basketball and Football you would think we were a Juco. Paying Steve Peterson another day is a mistake. Oh and fire the entire marketing department b/c they create as much excitement as a snail.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.09.13 @ 11:30 am

Old Pitt Grad said:

“I want Pitt to be relevant in sports in the worst way. However, I am coming to the realization we are back to ground zero. I don’t see kids lining wanting to play for Pitt.

Chryst doesn’t have it. It must be his people skills. Even if he can coach, you have got to have the horses. If both lines are better, hopefully I will eat my words, because the skilled positions are not there.”

– OPG your are right Pitt is back Ground Zero but is starting to rebuild.

– Why should kids (assuming you mean high star recruits) be lining up to come to Pitt with recent turmoil and longtime mediocrity.

– Chyst does not have it means you believe he does not not only have the communication skills to get the players but also cannot recruit. Of course the jury is still out on this factor. But he is making inroads with local coaches which leads to their players and his devotion to getting better translates to recruits if they come in and do such the sky is the limit for them which includes playing time both in the future and immediately. Players want to play and HCPC rewards the best prepared players with playing time.

– The skill players are not there. Maybe but then again maybe not. Once again there is hope with the locker room being purged of unmotivated non-team players. I can almost guarantee the team unity, desire and work ethic has risen exponentially as a result of this.

It is premature to come to the conclusion HCPC does not have it recruit wise, current player wise and such. As Herm Edwards says “That is why you play the games.” We will find out soon enough…

Comment by Kenny 04.09.13 @ 11:56 am

John Harris should not be a sports columnist — he really doesn’t know anything. He wrote a column about a month ago about Steve Pederson that was way off base … and used Sonny Vaccaro, who Pederson signed a big deal with in the late 90s, as a reference.

Comment by wbb 04.09.13 @ 11:57 am

Coaching demeanor is impertinent. Lombardi, Brown and Shula were passionate; Noll, Landry and Walsh were passive. Knight and Pitino are fiery; Wooden and Coach K were not.

The trick is to be yourself because after a while, the players will recognize a phony.

Comment by wbb 04.09.13 @ 12:04 pm

Harris is not worth reading. Werner the
same. If Shell is the talent he purports to
be plenty of schools will want him. I am
betting he signs with WVU. Stay tuned.

Comment by JR 04.09.13 @ 12:19 pm

“At 19, it’s unfair to expect Shell to do ‘the right thing’ — whatever that is.”

Harris’ view is warped. The best thing we can do for Mr. Shell and his family is EXPECT him to do the right thing. Time for him to do the coddling and not the other way around.

Comment by JLawrence 04.09.13 @ 12:59 pm

Yeah, I thought the article about Shell was stupid. Anywhere Shell goes, he will be expected to work. Playing Division I football takes dedication and a lot of hard work. It won’t be like playing in high school. I realize that he’s young kid without a lot of life experience, but college recruiters will tell him all kinds of things to get to go there. After he signs on, they won’t be kissing his ass. They will expect him to toe the line and to work hard.

Comment by Justinian 04.09.13 @ 1:19 pm

one of my biggest issues with the shell situation is the timing.. if after the season(shortly) he said it would be in the best interest in everybody if he transfers, I would be upset but I would get over it. but after the recruiting season was over and then he makes the decision, I say he screwed pitt, so pitt should screw him.

Comment by teezy 04.09.13 @ 1:20 pm

Not likely but If he decides not to transfer next week, then you know just how much he hates to practice

Comment by wbb 04.09.13 @ 1:35 pm

I thought Reed was going to publish how Shell started burning bridges right after the season ended? In that way we may get some in sight into his motives.

Comment by markp 04.09.13 @ 1:47 pm

Thank you Coach Stottlemyer for your dedication and hard work to wrestling at Pitt as first a three time All-American student athlete and as a coach who has left the program in great position to enter the ACC, beating the current ACC champ VA Tech earlier this season. You will be remembered! H2P! UPone

Comment by UPone 04.09.13 @ 1:51 pm

In hindsight, too bad Shell, didn’t leave after apparently not getting his way before the YSU game.

We would now have Cory Clements as an incoming RB , instead of him landing at Wisconsin and the JoJo Kemp kid from Florida most likely as well.

Whatever happened for the 1rst game suspension had to be an obvious Red Flag. I mean for a new head coach’s very first game, he’s having to suspend that recruiting class’s star recruit.
And that is knowing your other featured RB has an untested game knee from a very bad knee injury.

Looking back… that was just incridulous, and that all had to play a major role in the team’s lackluster effort and worst Pitt loss ever, against a slightly above average rent-a-win D2 team. Again in a game which was the new Head Coach’s very first game.

The ability to motivate and communicate can not be overstated in this day & age of instant communication and kids with an attention span of a housefly.

It’s very aking to sales/marketing, as in the salesman might have the knowledge of a library, concering his product or service. However if he can’t commuicate well and/or motivate his customers to buy, he will be a failure.

There’s no two ways around that.

Comment by EMel 04.09.13 @ 1:53 pm

AP piece on Rice’s role in recruiting Woodie, Woodie defending him and Rice while at Pitt per Dixon.

Comment by EMel 04.09.13 @ 1:58 pm

Does anyone else really like some of the football videos being produced and placed out on the Pitt Panther blog on Pitt’s website? I think some of them are pretty cool. Definitely gets me a little excited about the upcoming season. And watching some of the player interviews, there seem to be some quality characters on the squad.

Comment by JJ 04.09.13 @ 2:13 pm

I think we can finally say good bye to years of overhyping Pitt football. It looks like we have a coach who doesn’t worry about appeasing the powers, or making a mark for his next job. Now if he can get O-fries off the training table and more weights on the bar, we may have some athletic looking players.

Comment by end of an era 04.09.13 @ 2:35 pm

CHRYST STOP IT .
leave him be after this next football season s over and after the next recruting class is done.
then you can see how he does.
but untill then you are being unfair you know me if he screws up on that stuff i will be all over
him like white on rice.

but to do it now is unfair wait and see how things go dont look for the black cloud untill
there is one.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.09.13 @ 3:23 pm

harris what he wrote is stupid when i read it i thought what a puff and fluff not facts why
write it bland stupid not worth reading.
but you and i know there are people who hate pitt
even here dont know why but it is true.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.09.13 @ 3:36 pm

On the harris article…do we really need another vacuous sportswriter opining on a subject which he admits he knows little about (in the article), juat to rub some more salt in our wounds???

Isn’t that what Zeise and Smizek are for? I’ll bet they are kicking themselves for not getting a negative Pitt article out first!

Great game last night. How basketball is supposed to be played. Two teams that are hard chargers not counterpunchers(like Pitt/ Gtown). Maybe the best final I have ever seen. Wouldn’t it be great to see Pitt have the talent to play like that?

I remember seeing Randy Stot. wrestling at the fieldhouse. What a job he has done for 35 years. If we had more coaches with his recruiting hype, dedication and teaching skills, we would not be having many of the above discussions.

Last but not least….Pitt lost to Michigan by 5 after leading most of the game…lost to L’ville by 3 (I think)…my oh my, what could have been!!!

Hail to Pitt – see you at Bethel HS Friday night.
Chas …good luck on that anniversary thing! Going to name Francan as cupid soon!

Comment by Dan 72 04.09.13 @ 4:07 pm

Dixon a graet coach. Questions certainly are there. 2008-2009 2 all-americans cannot get beyond elite eight because favors senior guards, Fileds who shots less than 40% from field and 3 pt area.
2012-2013 has 7′ first round draft pick who plays 23 minutes per game (never in foul trouble) and never gets the ball during the game 7 touches at most.
In W.S. game Woodall (another favored terrible senior guard) 1 for 12 from field, 5 hand the ball to the other team (not turnovers, plays the most minutes in game. If Dixon sits Woodall for second half gets ball into Adams Pitt could have won this game.
Recruiting, forget it. Adams, was strickly luck-misused be better to go pro. Zeigler and Birch left because of style deisgned for 3 star players. Taylor, who knows played out of position entire career.
Pitt basketball at best wins low 20’s with power-puff no conference if get into tournamant one and done.
Dixon is also not a good floor coach. Butler; guarding the take out man against Villanova.

Comment by pittisit 04.09.13 @ 4:33 pm

JJ, Everyone should watch the videos on the Pitt site. Coaches and players speaking honestly about what’s going on. They should take the Shell interview down though.

Great to see the face with the name. Lot of coach speak, but some insight as well.

Comment by gc 04.09.13 @ 5:13 pm

Upittbaseball gave you guys the keys to the castle and you ignored him.
U of L kicks our ass in everything that matters {fund raising being 1, facilities 2} and most of the people in the Pitt athletic department couldn’t find Louisville on a map.
Hire away their AD or second in command or bring your jar of Vaseline to the ACC ’cause otherwise it us gonna hurt!!

Comment by SFPitt 04.09.13 @ 5:37 pm

Chas I like PC but he reminds me of the old Rudyard Kipling poem “If” (well kind of)

“If you can keep your head when all about your are losing theirs… then you clearly have no idea of the gravity of the dire situation around you”

Ok I added my own spin but you all get the point. Let’s hope that PC has a sense of urgency beneath that calm demeanor. I like the man but sometimes you need to show urgency. Not panic but urgency.

Comment by Pitt Fan In Atlanta 04.09.13 @ 6:16 pm

I always thought that when it was time for ND to settle into a conference, it would be the B1G ,,, but now I am little less certain.

it is still good news

Comment by wbb 04.09.13 @ 6:30 pm

If there ever was a yer for us to go to e Elite Eight it was this year. Outside of Wichita State it was a weak bracket. Gonzaga was a joke. I’m afraid the path in the future won’t be so easy. If we make it to the tourney. This could of been our year now I’m afraid we regress considerably from average to below average pretty quick.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.09.13 @ 9:14 pm

Have at him boys … @CoachGrahamASU is on twitter. Got blocked in three tweets. #HTP #FasterThanHeCouldFindFamilyInNJ #PennysFamilyInAZFound #Lennay

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 04.09.13 @ 9:43 pm

We can only base our perceptions on what we read and read into what we read. But from what I have seen, Paul Chryst is a rarity as a coach in college athletics – candid, consistent, disciplined, and genuine. So that does not always transfer into great sound bites. Jackie Sherrill was great with the media, but we probably would not have wanted him around at Pitt after he had a cow (bull? – I guess if I were a Penn Stater, I would know the difference) castrated in front of his players. I have no problem with the way Chryst is handling this team. While we may not set the world on fire with either, we will be more successful in football than basketball in the ACC. I cannot see Paul Chryst putting up with a kid that through someone through a plate glass window.

By contrast, after watching the NCAA basketball tournament, and in particular, the elite 8 and final 4, anyone that thinks that Jamie “Mr. March” Dixon will ever breathe on an NCAA championship is, well, someone I would probably disagree with. Not only does he or can he not recruit top flight athletes, the decision making by the coaches in those games is by and large flawless. I could not imagine any of them having players on the foul line when Gilbert Brown was shooting his second foul shot. And this horseshit about recruiting players that can play defense – Louisville’s defense was outstanding, yet they also can score points and win a championship. Not defending Pitino – I would not have that guy coach my dog – but that is an example of the level of coach it takes to get to that point.

So, let us all toast to month 1 of the Dixon Decade. And fantasize about all of the great JUCOs and under-recruited high schoolers he is going to bring in to fill the now 4 open spots on his roster, that he will coach up and turn into Antonio Graves or Gary McGhee. And all of the great changes he will make to his coaching style next year to finally come into the 21st century.

Comment by PO'd Panther 04.09.13 @ 9:46 pm

I too have been blocked by Fraud. #highblocktane is now trending in Pgh- good fun!

Comment by Dan35 04.09.13 @ 10:25 pm

@PO’d Panther, as opposed to what? You think we can get better than Dixon? Get real.

Comment by panther94 04.09.13 @ 10:26 pm

@Dan35, awesome hashtag!

Comment by panther94 04.09.13 @ 10:27 pm

So the Pitt Spring Game was so well attended last year that they are moving it to Bethel Park from North Hills? OMG too damn funny. Ron Cook was right on!

Comment by A-Wild 04.09.13 @ 11:13 pm

my guess that part of the reason for moving the spring game to the South Hills because of the handful of major prospects there this year, in particular large OL Mike Grimm from Bethel Park … who looks like he would be a subject of a Paul Chryst wet dream

Comment by wbb 04.10.13 @ 6:38 am

@PO’d The coaches’ decision-making was so flawless that Beilein didn’t even realize ‘Ville wasn’t in the 1-and-1 bonus yet towards the end. Wasted valuable time.

Comment by JW 04.10.13 @ 7:29 am

Other programs get 25k to 50k for spring game. We play ours at a high schools that holds 6k. Do you guys up there not see what a joke this is and who made that decision, the fan favorite Steve Peterson.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.10.13 @ 7:36 am

Tossing Thabeets, That’s funny about Toad Graham’s twitter account. By the way, you have far and away, the best name on the this blog.

Comment by Justinian 04.10.13 @ 8:23 am

Moving the spring game to a HS stadium has been a good thing. The Pitt fanbase is not strong enough to generate more than anywhere near 25 k. Playing in a full HS Stadium creates excitement in the suburbs and rewards the HS coaches and creates good will.

It also avoids the embarrassment of a 10% filled Heinz field, where we are lucky to get 60% for an average game.

Since the Pitt fan base is so weak, we will never generate stronger attendance until we have a stronger product to create buzz in a city of jaded fans.

I consider myself a rabid fan, live in town, have never attended a spring game. I went to Latrobe once to watch a Steelers practice, found it utterly boring. Don’t find a lot of entertainment value in either.

Lots of kids will attend at a HS stadium, hopefully creating new young fans of the future.

Old guys like me will stay home and watch on the computer.

Comment by gc 04.10.13 @ 8:28 am

Upittbaseball, the reason the spring game is at high schools is because no one shows up to the spring game. I’d rather have a semi-packed HS stadium than an embarrassingly empty Heinz Field. But the lack of interest is definitely due to the state of the football program which is Pederson’s fault. Although, I don’t think even a really good Pitt team would draw huge numbers for spring game cause Pittsburgh is a pro sports town, have other things to worry about in April like baseball and the Pens.

PO’d Panther are you serious? If you are going to praise Chryst, you can’t bash Dixon in the following paragraph. You are critical about Dixon for in game decisions, recruiting and refusal to be in the 21st century.

Let’s apply those to Chryst: in game decisions were horrible last year with numerous examples of horrible clock managment and let’s not forget the team didn’t show up for half of it’s games (meanwhile Pitt basketball was in almost every game the season and matched up evenly with the national championship team, how would Pitt football have done against Bama last year? Team couldn’t even beat YSU; recruiting – very substandard and if not for the PSU sanctions would have been absolutely horrible; and refusal to go to the 21st century – Chryst runs a proset offense while everyone else is using more modern stuff like the read option and the spread.

Also, someone said Shell should have left after YSU game so wouldn’t have lost those RB recruits. Lost those RBs because of poor recruiting and not the playing time situation. Robert Foster chose to go to Alabama even though they have so many young WRs there. That’s called good recruiting.

But no point on dwelling on Chryst right now, cause Chryst’s legacy will be made or broken by the 2014 recruiting class. The WPIAL is loaded. If he doesn’t get almost all of the top guys, then might as well consider him done as coach.

One last thing, this nonsense about Dixon only beats cupcakes is ridiculous. Yes the non-conference is generally weak. But here are the places Dixon teams finished in the BE: 1st, 5th, 4th, 2nd, 7th, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 13th and 4th. You don’t finish top 4 in the best conference in college basketball 70% of the time by only beating bad teams.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.10.13 @ 8:29 am

wardapalooza we will know how good or bad next year will be on the 17th of april LOI day for bb
if dixon can get a center and power foward
and SG then i think we will have a great season
are first year in the ACC.

but if not they we will have a very bad year
we need a good transfer or jc player

becuse most of the good high school kids are signed all ready.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.10.13 @ 9:00 am

Frankcan, You are right that Jamie needs to find some players. IMO, he can save us the embarrassment of finishing dead last, but I don’t see anyway we have a great season.

He also needs to be thinking longer term than one or two seasons. unfortunately, we have had too many misses and not enough guys meeting their potential. Woulda coulda shoulda won’t get it done.

Adams was the keystone to the program going to the next level, his loss will hurt us for more than one year.

Comment by gc 04.10.13 @ 9:23 am

gc i guess what i am saying is he if he gets a center and a good power foward from the jc ranks
and a sg transfer we could win 20 games.
if not we are screwed we will know on april 17th
there are a few good high school players left
but only a few.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.10.13 @ 9:44 am

Are people really bashing Paul Chryst right now? Come on. The program was in disarray when he took over. Give the guy a chance!

Also, you don’t judge a coach by recruiting stars or the type of offense he runs. It is all about wins and losses. Chryst has to show an improved program each year.

Comment by notrocketscience 04.10.13 @ 9:47 am

Whether or not the program was in shambles is irrelevant. He made calls that lost games. I pinned 2 games for sure on his moronic calls before the half. He is a terrible in game coach because he is a OC and has personality of a goat. These kids today need a coach with passion and zest and energy. The Hum Drum Wisconsin Midwest approach excites no one let alone top recruits. I’m not a fan of his b/c his coaching is bad.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.10.13 @ 9:57 am

Thanks for the heads up on the Spring Game at a High School Field. Embarrassing is all I can say. I see your point but it is still embarrassing. Peterson is a cancer.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.10.13 @ 9:58 am

OK notrocketscience…

How many wins do you see as acceptable this fall?

Comment by PittofDreams 04.10.13 @ 9:58 am

That my be Upittbaseball, but it is still not as bad as if you had cancer on your Peterson.

Comment by Dr. Tom 04.10.13 @ 10:07 am

@FRankcan

While it’s true we need some bodies to fill out the roster for next year(and then some). The system JD runs doesn’t exactly suggest you can immediately plug these new players in and they’ll be successful.

Other than a few notable exceptions (Blair & Taft & ?) it usually takes 2-3 years of pounding the square pegs into round holes before they come close to fitting into the system.

Comment by EMel 04.10.13 @ 10:10 am

spring game attendance is greatly enhanced by a large on-campus student population going to an on-campus stadium in an area where the college atletic program is of prime interest to the general public.

Strike 3

Comment by wbb 04.10.13 @ 10:27 am

Dr. Tom… That my friend is very true! LOL. Post of the year in my book. Hey as a side note, my wife is a Dentsply Rep. You use much of their products?

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.10.13 @ 10:34 am

I’m a little worried this year (yes even moreso than the typical dreadful lifetime Pitt alumnus/fan).

From all accounts, the only coach who showed some fire and emotion last year was the left for NC State DC, Dave Huxtable. And lord knows the Defense after he left for the Bowl Game, was flat as a pancake emotionally and played like it against a bottom tier SEC team.

Idk, just who on the sidelines is going to provide some emotion and getting in a players face when needed. The new (old) guy is like 80 years old, so he might be a little timid, what with this being his first year at Pitt. The O-line coach is pretty old as well, well at least to be screaming at players.

Now while in Pro football which is more of a business, you can certainly get away with stoid coaches, but in college football, with young kids, most of which won’t be playing football in a few short years. I believe, getting them psyched up emotionally is a vital cog in winning games. As ppl can overchieve and do things they thought they couldn’t, all based on emotions and the coach getting them psyched up and believing in themselves to do extraordinary things.

This is how these smaller school programs in the NCAA Basketball Tournament reach the Sweet 16 (Florida Gulf Coast, LaSalle), the Elite 8 (Wichita) and the Final 4 (Wichita).

Same thing with a Boise State being able to beat a Oklahoma, a Utah being able to beat a Alabama and an Appalachian State being able to beat a Michigan.

Point is, none of the above forementioned smaller school programs had near the talent level as their opponents, yet their coaches were able to infuse something in them to perform at a level, not seen before. Whatever THAT is, some ppl have it and some ppl don’t. And from my experience you usually know right away who does and who doesn’t ‘have it’.

Comment by EMel 04.10.13 @ 10:36 am

@upitt, while I am no fan of Peterson, I think the HS venue is a good thing and don’t know how much Peterson had to do with it anyway. Regarding Chryst, he may not have set the world on fire last year and the bowl game was disheartening, not for the loss, but the lack of energy, I think it is premature to write him off.

@emel, agreed, although not as harshly, it would take a miracle to find the right pegs for this year.

@Dr. Tom, well played, LOL

Comment by gc 04.10.13 @ 10:48 am

@wbb

lol Right I don’t imagine many Pitt students that live on campus will be making the long trek out thru the Liberty Tubes, down Rt. 51 and then all the way down Rt. 88 to be taking in PC’s boys.

Maybe they’ll get a few students who commute from the Bethel Park, South Park, Baldwin Boro & Mt. Lebo areas.

Use to date a girl out there and remember we’d go sometimes to that Pizza place right on RT. 88 right before you got into South Park. It sat right on Rt. 88 on the left side (going south) in front of a shopping center. Can’t remember the name.

Comment by EMel 04.10.13 @ 10:48 am

The point is that in places like Morgantown and State College, there are large student campus populations with not much else to do on a Saturday afternoon … partying and couch burning are usually evenin events … and of course, the Eers and the Nits are the sole attraction in the area.

In Pgh, there is much more focus on the Pens and the Pirates …. and don’t forget the Frozen 4 at the Consol Center (and those are just the competitve sporting attractions.)

Comment by wbb 04.10.13 @ 10:54 am

@Upttbaseball, I’m glad that you get my sick sense of humor. To answer your question, the big three Dentsply products that I use are Profile files, Aquasil and Surefil SDR. SDR is a homerun product. Enough shop talk.

Comment by Dr. Tom 04.10.13 @ 10:57 am

@emel, totally agree, football in particular is a game of emotion. Wanting it more than the other guy.

Coach Noll was pretty laid back, but he had guys like Green and Lambert to fire up the troops.

Ray Lewis, despised by most, is the perfect example of terrific intensity. The Steelers will miss the ferocity of Harrison.

The cerebral player is good to have but you need leaders that just want to kick ass. Football is a game of controlled violence. Emphasis on violence.

Comment by gc 04.10.13 @ 11:01 am

Dr. Tom – She said try Prime and Bond Elect. Whatever that means…. LOL..

Make it a great hump day boys!

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.10.13 @ 11:05 am

Steeler preseason games are about half full, I don’t see a Spring game ever drawing more than that. Just how it is in the Burgh.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.10.13 @ 11:19 am

Tarik Black from Memphis could fill the 5 spot for Pitt for a year and grab some rebounds.

Doesn’t have offensive skills, but 6’9″ 260 and solid would be huge.

Everybody’s going to try to rent him for a year, though. Rumors even have Duke looking at him……

Comment by hugh green 04.10.13 @ 11:52 am

I have mixed feelings about the spring game at a local suburban HS stadium. An empty Heinz Field is no more impressive, and there are advantages of building some good will in the communities I guess. But I am tired of my Ped St. friends busting my balls about it.

There has never been much interest in the spring game that I can recall, regardless of the state of the program. Much like gc, I consider myself a devoted follower of the program, yet have never attended a spring game. I just don’t see the point unless nothing else to do.

Bethel Park HS is 5 miles from my house and this is one of the few years that I have no schedule conflicts so I plan to go. But in typical Pitt Schleprock fashion, after a week of beautiful weather, Friday night is supposed to be a total washout, so we’ll have to see.

wbb makes a solid point about nothing better to do in Slappy Valley. Frankly, I find the idea of 80,000 fans attending a spring game a la OSU or Bama a bit over the top. ND draws around 30k. That seems about right. If Pitt could draw even 20k, that would be great.

Comment by Iron Duke 04.10.13 @ 12:14 pm

@FRANKCAN – what have you heard about Stephane Manga – 6’6″ G/F from Monroe College in NY?

Comment by Pitt Dad 04.10.13 @ 12:36 pm

BCS school spring game attendance

link to m.sportsbusinessdaily.com?

Comment by Iron Duke 04.10.13 @ 12:50 pm

- yeah the videos on the Pitt site are cool and informative.

– funny on the twitter and going after Toad Fraud… sorry for the twitter 101 question… do we tweet him with a hashtag statement in it? how does it get picked up by others… and ‘trend’?

– I assumed the RBs backed out because of Shell.. would like to understand any facts behind the view it was ‘poor recruiting’.. these kids went to good schools. (honest question).

– what has become clear in the last few weeks is how toxic this locker room has been… and I bet it goes back to Whiny’s days (I confuse I was not a W. fan by the end)… Graham had to know it and did not help make it better…

… so I think a lot of what Chryst was dealing with last year was cleaning up a hazardous waste site… he knew it, staff knew it… players knew it. it was a write off year to just get through without additional damage… smile, treat people decently, get tough on rules and get to this summer… where we now see a lot of adjustments.

– as per the videos it is striking really how often coaches and the younger players talk with real joy (relief?) that everyone now ‘likes to play the game’, ‘likes to work hard’. Last season and this spring have been as much about ‘intangibles’ as XOs, and ‘measurables’.

2013 will tell the tale for sure… not so much in W-L because realistically ‘bowl eligible’ is going to be tough enough… more important to me is:

– does this team play hard… and smart?
– can the rise above the moment and expectation some times and do something surprisingly… good.
– do they get better over the year?
– are they physical, no quit…
– can they help me remove that feeling in the pit of my stomach I have had since Whiny that something bad and disappointing is about to happen…

if we get positives on these, then we will get the ‘wins’ in WPIAL recruiting and off we go…

Comment by Pittscript 04.10.13 @ 1:16 pm

Pitt dad i will check on and let you know.
but the player every one wants is josh davis
from tulane a fifth year senior 6 foot 8 10 pt
11 reb per game.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.10.13 @ 1:22 pm

In college sports, like MOST BUSINESSES, success or failure comes down to preparation and fundamentals.
Therefore, it is no surprise that Pitt athletics largely fail or underachieve.
Fundamentally, the Pitt athletic department is one in which excellence is not expected and mediocrity is typical. Note that serious errors go unpunished (Hayward fiasco, etc…)and few legitimate accomplishments have a longer shelf life than army rations (Well, he got the Events center built! Yeah, but the overuns and litigation fees were terrible and that was over 10 years ago!).
Simply put, there is no objective reason to expect Pitt to excel in darn near anything given the low level of performance in the ADepartment. I have written before and Iw iil write again, SP is a slow dissolving pill of cyanide.
EJ is very good and Nora is a superb and underappreicated talent, perhaps AN can get it going, but in a place where status quo is expected, what makes anyone think our status quo of underachievement will change?
The fact of the matter is our program draws little interest even among the people who should care. if they don’t care, why on earth would anyone else?
Pitt is advertising its schedule in the ACC as a drawing card. Does that strike anyone but me as pathetic? Don’t come watch us…watch the programs that are histroically better than ours! How sad can you get?
You get what you pay for in this world and nothing more.
Nordy runs a great university with a piss poor athletic department. Don’t believe me? Check out our performances.
Who cares whether the spring game is at bethel park or Heinz Field or the riverhounds sadium or on the Schenley Park oval.
Venues are irrelevant when leadership sucks.
And our leadership sucks!

Comment by sfpitt 04.10.13 @ 1:27 pm

pitt dad stephane manga is the 19th rated jc
player out of top 100 and he is a dunking machine .
kid loves to dunk the ball.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.10.13 @ 1:32 pm

Iron Duke, We will never have the lemming like following of PSU, OSU, et al., nor would we want it. Pitt students are taught critical thinking skills, as evidenced on this site, we may not agree, but we are all thinking.

Pitt Fans have better things to do than watch a practice game, hell they might even be reading a book, unlike the others that are watching Honey Boo Boo or the Kardashians.

Comment by gc 04.10.13 @ 1:33 pm

Here is my “stealth” tweet for the day… :-)

Great article on future course of Sun Devils football. link to tinyurl.com
#SunDevils #ASUFootball #highoctane

Thank God for the internet and ESPN 3… seriously getting to Bethel Park in rush hour will suck. Good move for the south hills folks only.

And no matter what Heinz field would have been emptyyyy on a Friday evening…

unless someone had a clue and made it a Saturday… afternoon… festivities in the parking lot… free parking/tailgating… come hang out and watch the game…. but that means intelligent, smart marketing people and SFpitt is oh so right…

Comment by Pittscript 04.10.13 @ 1:36 pm

dixon has joseph uchebo comeing in but maybe
he should look at a kid named john paul 6 foot 11
the reason i say that is wichita is trying to
recruit him out of thr jc school he is in
and i would say wichita knows what they are doeing
wouldent you.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.10.13 @ 1:42 pm

Shai McKenzie’s take on Pitt recruiting since Shell left via the Observer Reporter

link to observer-reporter.com

Comment by WINEDOGS 04.10.13 @ 1:52 pm

Iron Duke, if you look at the schools in the big cities, USC – 15,000, Miami 10,000 and BC – 200 .. you can see quite frankly, there are better things to do other than to attend a scrimmage.

BTW, if USC has its scrimmage in the Coliseum, then 10,000 has to look awful sparse in the 90,000 seat stadium … but still better than BC, 200 in a 40,000 seat

Comment by wbb 04.10.13 @ 2:02 pm

Pittscript – The best of the WPIAL will go below .500 in the ACC. The talent outside 2-3 players every few years just isn’t there in my opinion. South Florida, GA, LA and Texas. We will never get the California kids but we should have coaches from Texas, South Florida, etc that own those areas.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.10.13 @ 2:09 pm

wbb – I’d go to USC Game just to see the cheerleaders. As a side note, can we recruit prettier cheerleaders??? LOL Now the Oregon girls or the Gator Girls/ LSU are smoking hot.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.10.13 @ 2:11 pm

I believe we have one chance of having a pretty decent year in FB.

With 9 starters back and depth (except for DE), we have a chance of being a pretty decent defense. On the other side of the ball, we need to control the ball and limit turnovers, and can hit the occasional homerun .. but mostly we need to win the time of possession and turnover battle …. yes, I am talking Wanny Ball! (or Jamie Ball if you will)

Comment by wbb 04.10.13 @ 2:27 pm

@FRANKCAN – I read that Manga was looking at Seton Hall. Any chance he might be looking at Pitt?

Comment by Pitt Dad 04.10.13 @ 2:55 pm

I hear you Upittbaseball… was more referring to the reference above about needing to get most of this ‘stacked’ 2014 WPIAL class…

… I believe this staff believes it needs to recruit outside of WPA… I kind of wonder if they are going a different geographic route more into the midwest/midatlantic…. that is just an opinion.

While the areas you mentioned are critical it just seems the competition there is is intense and ‘stacked’.

I wonder what the geographic breakdown is of this class and does anyone know where they are active?

Good points wbb.

Comment by Pittscript 04.10.13 @ 2:57 pm

pitt dad that would depend on if pitt were looking
at him .

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.10.13 @ 3:02 pm

I would build a team with skills players from South Florida. The talent there is sick! Aka teddy Bridgewater, Geno Smith, etc.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.10.13 @ 3:03 pm

pittdad the 5th year senior from tulane 6 foot 8 josh davis has on his list along with 4 outher
schools what we have working for us is he is from nc
and we play in the ACC he would get to play at home or near home if he comes to pitt but even thou
we are on his list we dont know if dixon wants him.

the sg achraf yacoubou from seton hall has us on
his list also but we dont know if dixon wants him
so even when we are on there list it means nothing
unless they are on dixons list.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.10.13 @ 3:19 pm

serious question upittbaseball… with the florida programs, then Alabama, LSU… etc. etc. all in that market is it realistic we could get ‘good’ players… i.e. better than WPIAL best still? Honestly wondering…. as opposed to trying to get some of the top kids from midwest, midatlantic, northeast? … maybe that is not possible either?

Comment by Pittscript 04.10.13 @ 3:29 pm

@Emel. Danny’s or Beto’s??

Comment by Dan 04.10.13 @ 3:32 pm

@Pittscript, I agree regardless of where game is played, it should always be on a Saturday. Nobody wants to drive cross-town on a Friday evening.

wbb, Columbus is one exception to the big city rule, but it is certainly NOT a pro-sports town, all Buckeyes all the time.

In response to Shai McKenzie, I am the only one getting the impression from his comments that he is another big fish small pond kid and a bit full of himself?

Not that Pitt shouldn’t go after him, but I hope they are looking at other running backs as well. No depth and no position competition has killed Pitt for 30 years.

Besides, give me the 17th rated RB out of Florida any day, with a relentless work ethic b/c he had to outplay the competition to start his senior year, and a chip on his shoulder because he wasn’t recruited by Miami or FSU.

Comment by Iron Duke 04.10.13 @ 3:33 pm

p.s. Danny’s still there. The Beto’s was a 2nd place of the original Beto’s on Banksville.

I know way too much about pizza!!

Comment by Dan 04.10.13 @ 3:34 pm

MarkP – Regarding Shell’s reasons for leaving. It all boiled down to the fact that he was being treated like any other young player on the roster and was resentful at that.

It was a poorly kept secret that Shell did virtually none of the voluntary S&C sessions and team building exercises where the rest of the team would get together over the off season. There were some hinky whisperings about Shell as early as last year’s training camp before he had even taken a snap for PITT where he would be injured at regular intervals and apparently not studying or learning the playbook.

So, in turn, the other players – especially the starters – were resentful at Shell for copping that attitude. I was led to believe that it didn’t shock any in the program that Shell was taking off especially after he took himself out of a practice the first week of spring camp and then half-assed it through a scrimmage. Also, and believe this or not, it’s been hinted at that Chryst and Rudolph weren’t set on Shell starting at RB if he didn’t come around and put the needed effort in.

There are a few things to understand with this new staff. Until this 2013 season none of the players on the roster were really ‘their’ recruits and thus they didn’t have any commitments to them. Graham may well have promised the starting RB job as a condition of recruitment for Shell; Chryst didn’t do that and was making Shell earn playing time as it should be done in practices and by contributing as a team player. Prior to Shell’s taking himself off the team exactly two weeks ago today he wasn’t the only RB taking 1st string snaps in a one back set.

I believe Shell would have split time with Bennett anyway and not gotten as many carries as PITT fans assume he would.

Anyway – none of above is either surprising or new info… beat reporters and columnists have been writing about it since March 27th when the news of Shell wanting to leave broke. However, I talked with some guys last week who said this wasn’t unexpected at all.

Comment by Reed 04.10.13 @ 4:16 pm

Pitt script Bridgewater ended up at Louisville after he was supposed to make an official visit to LSU but they changed the date because they were visiting Mettenberger. Teddy was pissed and signed with L’Ville. He is from Miami and flew under the radar a bit despite winning a high school championship and beating out Jacobi Harris as a sophomore. They are there man. Look at Geno Smith. South Forida has so many studs their 2nd teamers are solid.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.10.13 @ 4:55 pm

Iron Duke said…

“But I am tired of my Ped St. friends busting my balls about it.

You need to make them an offer they most likely cannot refuse. Tell them you won’t start busting their cojones about Sanduskygate if the refrain from busting yours in respect to Pitt…

Comment by Kenny 04.10.13 @ 5:03 pm

thanks upittbaseball and iron duke for the insight on FL… I honestly have no idea just how deep it is there… wow, WPA seems to have been passed by some time ago then.

Reed, you are understanding the value of your contributions… man I feel I am finally getting some inside insights… and only getting them here. Never get this level of insight in the local press.

You really show that this was additional by subtraction and that this staff must have figured it our real quick last year that it was going to take some time to fresh up the locker room.

You know the way these guys handle things makes me think these players are going to go to war for this team and staff (they obviously were doing something right in Wisconsin all these years).

Good players with the right mentality are going to see that when they visit this school on recruiting trips…

thanks,

Comment by Pittscript 04.10.13 @ 5:10 pm

Thanks FRANKCAN

Comment by Pitt Dad 04.10.13 @ 5:16 pm

Let’s follow up on Reeds insight.
Where was USC on Shells list?
You’re right. It ain’t there.
If Shell were committed to work he would be at USC or at least trying. Shake a USC dance team skirt and a hard working running back falls out.
But that means competition and that ain’t part of the plan for the boy is it?
Naw…you know, few people will understand this, but Pitt is doing Shell a favor by refusing to let him go where he doesn’t have to work. If he thinks PC is tough, wait until he gets his first child support order. Hey young man: full faith and credit clause of the US Constitution assures that PA order is enforced in Cali.
Maybe he can end up with Davie in New Mexico.

Comment by SFPitt 04.10.13 @ 5:29 pm

@Reed a great post on Shell telling it like it is. Just to add a few things I heard from a good source perhaps you can verify, Shell came into camp about 20 lbs overweight. He was slow. A long discussion with the coaches about conditioning ensued and ended with a mandatory conditioning program that Shell rejected. PC told him get in condition or sit. You know the rest. At least PC is holding people accountable and no one person is better than the team…I like that.

Comment by DJS 04.10.13 @ 5:40 pm

Spot on, Reed. I was told in not so many words that had Shell stayed, he would have been 2nd string, for the reasons you outlined. HTP

Comment by pittbluegold 04.10.13 @ 6:37 pm

… and all the high coaches know this and so will the players… they even said it in their own code words not to be negative to him in public… “everyone has their own situation”.

Hey, why did Savage come to Pitt? Playing time?

NO… he said he came to Pitt because he saw what Chryst did with his QB in 1 year. Real players want to be their best and get to the next level…

… they want coaches that have proven they get kids to the pros by making them great. That is only reason a Florida kid will come to Pitt.

Comment by Pittscript 04.10.13 @ 6:58 pm

this is why I have been saying that he should be allowed to go where he wants because wherever he goes, he becomes their problem

Comment by wbb 04.10.13 @ 6:59 pm

i did not say this before becuse i did not want to
be known as a prick but here goes.
shell will be out of college football in a year
or year and a half.

he will play ball in canada till they cut him
after 2 games he will come back to hopewell
and hang out.

and so will end what could have been greatness
becuse he wont work at being better and he will blame every one but him self becuse he wouldent pay the price.

you have seen it before very sad.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.10.13 @ 7:54 pm

Reed, Your post confirms a lot things that we suspected. Sometimes we hear things and you just aren’t sure all of it is true. I firmly believe that everyone on a team has to put in the work. Catering to divas isn’t the way to build a team. If Shell resented sharing 1st team reps, then shame on him. You need more than one running back today in Division I football. If he thought he deserved the lion-share the playing time, you work hard in practice and show that you deserve it. I think Bennett and Crocket will do just fine.

Comment by Justinian 04.10.13 @ 7:56 pm

Frank, After Tony Dorsett, I thought Brian Davis had the most talent of anyone I had seen at Pitt. That’s saying a lot when consider, some the running backs to play here. Curtis Martin, Ironhead Heyward, Shady McCoy, just to mention a few. Unfortunately Brian Davis didn’t go to class or have the desire and drive to stay in school. Talent alone isn’t enough, drive and determination are important ingredients that you need to succeed.

Comment by Justinian 04.10.13 @ 8:03 pm

Part of me wants Shell to succeed simply because I don’t want my tax dollars to support his two daughters and anyone else he helps bring into this world.

Comment by Gas 04.10.13 @ 8:16 pm

@Kenny and Iron Duke, I’ve allready, in a light-hearted way, made it known to my PSU friends and family members, the days of “Shit on Pitt” are over!!! LOL

Seriously!! LOL I literally said that at a Christmas party when the subject came up about Pitt-PSU renewing the rivalry in a few years.

They all knew what I meant, except, one nephew, he still had a “not me, I’ll always rip on Pitt” attitude.

I just turned to him, and said ever so politely and calmly…….”heard PSU had a great recruiting class, really going after the tight ends this year”.

That has ended all Pitt barbs thrown at me from PSU’ers I know.

Crude, yes, effective though. LOL

Comment by Dan 04.10.13 @ 8:46 pm

@wbb… that is a really good point. totally flipped my view on the issue.

Comment by Pittscript 04.10.13 @ 8:46 pm

pittdad Wbb DAN and outhers dixon has that center visting
on the 12 but he is not the only big man out there.

i went thru a rivals list of 350 players and
pick out some for you they had to be 6 foot 8
or bigger with at least 5 offers and unsigned

so here they are i will list some of there offers but not all.

john paul 6 foot 11 offers 9 from wichita st
tulne and mississippi st.

lennard freeman 17 offers 6 foot 8 he is at oak hill

ibrahim djambo 6 foot 10 offers 12 from clemson kansas st detroit three rivers cc missouri

thomas hamilton 6 foot 8 img academy 5 offers
boston coll michigan st

deontae hawkins 6 foot 8 new promise acadrmy
8 offers cincinnati dayton alabama

sam edwaeds 7 foot memphis slect school
10 offers auburn wichita nebraaska

aram martin 13 offers dartmouth yale missouri penn south florida he is 6 foot 9

sidy djitte 6 foot 10 5 offers auburn clemson
cincinati

so there are outher big men out there and
these were all 3 stars or no stars but look
at the nummber of offers they all have.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.10.13 @ 9:25 pm

For all you saying Mr Chryst is boring just remember my Toddy Graham..how the hell u gonna judge a dude after one season? Give him a chance and quit acting like Pitt is Alabama or USC!

Comment by Tsingtao44 04.10.13 @ 11:01 pm

No doubt, Kenny and Dan, lots of fodder for years to come re: Ped St. Last year when my Nit bud ripped Pitt for having the spring game at a HS stadium, I just said, “yeah I heard your game is in the shower at the Lasch football building, men vs. boys”. Sophomoric maybe but it shut him up. H2P

Comment by Iron Duke 04.11.13 @ 12:10 am

Personally, I like the HS stadium venue for the spring games as it is more intimate and you are a lot closer to the action to see how players are doing.

Comment by Reed 04.11.13 @ 5:23 am

But Dan, riddle me this? how does it figure that those kids that get recruited as PSU tight ends all seem to come out of the program as experienced wide receivers! LOLx2

Comment by Dr. Tom 04.11.13 @ 6:59 am

recruiting “tight ends”… LMAO… priceless…

HS venue is closer feeling… problem in Pgh is that as soon as you pick one area you just eliminated the other 3 points of the compass in terms of access.

particularly the south hills. but maybe some key recruits are down that way.

Comment by Pittscript 04.11.13 @ 9:13 am

@Kenny and Dr. Tom, LOL!!

I told all of them, “it’s up to you, just don’t start”!!

I could only imagine some PSU fans walking by some Pitt tailgaters in a few years, and mouthing off something belittling Pitt.

Could get ugly very quickly. Especially with people haveing some barley and hops in them amongst other things!!!

Comment by Dan 04.11.13 @ 10:00 am

Having the Spring games in HS stadiums for now is a good thing for the following reasons:

1) It solves the eyesore of seeing so few fans at Heinz Field.

2) It bonds HS coaches/players/schools/communities with the Pitt program, its coaches/players and ultimately the university itself.

3) Beyond winning on a consistent basis it will help facilitate the goal of attracting more people to spring games.

4) It is ideal for progression into larger capacity HS stadiums as the Spring fan base expands and will facilitate the ultimate goal of someday having the games regularly at either Heinz Field or the oft dreamed of mythical on campus football stadium…

Comment by Kenny 04.11.13 @ 10:22 am

# Dan,can hear it now “there are riots going on at the tailgates in the parking lots”!!!

Comment by Kenny 04.11.13 @ 10:25 am

@Kenny, I’ve found in life, that on occaision, the phrase “don’t lower yourself to their level”, is very over-rated!!!

Those games could be some of those times!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 04.11.13 @ 10:31 am

Frankcan, if your prediction comes to fruition, it is so very very sad. But as you say, we have seen it it happen too many times. Very few of us are blessed with some special talent or ability that has the potential to make us rich or famous. To see that squandered away is always a tragedy.

Let’s hope that Rushel figures it out before it is too late. Maybe he is one to overcome all odds, but I like you, envision the more negative outcome.

Rushel because of his gift has been able to effortlessly run roughshod over his high school and in one college game his opponents.

It will take a lot more effort to become a pro, or even a great college back. I can’t think of any pro offense that wouldn’t require him to block a blitzing maniac on occasion. Pros don’t get days off from practice until they are aged superstars.

Again, I hope he figures it out before it is too late.

Hail to Coach Chryst for the tough love.

Comment by gc 04.11.13 @ 11:07 am

A LITTLE help here please pitt 247 says pitt is looking ata PF from a jc school in utah.

but it is behind a pay wall if any one can give me the name i would like to look the player up

i can tell you this much there is no pf from utah
in the jc top 100.

thanks.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.11.13 @ 3:19 pm

Just to reiterate. It is Danny’s Pizza and Hoagies on Rt.88 before the Southpark entrance. Beto’s is better but its on Banksville Road before you get to Dormont, nowhere near Bethel Park.

Comment by pittman4ever 04.11.13 @ 4:00 pm

Oh contrere’ mon frere’!!

Beto’s was right next to Danny’s, in Bethel Park on Rt.88!!!

Most would go for a hoagie at Danny’s, then 20 feet away to Beto’s for a couple slices.

There is a Beto’s on Banksville, I would imagine they were related somehow, but I could not be sure of that.

Perhaps you are talking about now, and you would be correct. However, Emel chasing women in the South Hills would have probably been in the 70’s and 80’s, when both places stood next to each other.

Beto’s closed on Rt.88, late 80’s, early 90’s??? Who knows, time moves on.

Some days it feels like yesterday, somedays it feels like a hundred years ago!!

Comment by Dan 04.11.13 @ 4:38 pm

@ Dan & pittman4ever

Can’t remember the name, I remember that the Pizza places parking damn near sat on Rt. 88. And it had windows in the front that were horizontally long.

And the sign had a guy with a chef hat on, (I think).

Hell it’s been over 25 years. lol :-)

Comment by EMel 04.11.13 @ 5:20 pm

*typo (2nd line)

I remember that the Pizza place’s parking lot damn near sat on Rt. 88.

Yep Dan your right it was the mid to late 80’s.

Comment by EMel 04.11.13 @ 5:23 pm

Whichever one it was, it wasn’t near as good as Mineo’s or Aiello’s in Squirrel Hill.

But it was in the GF’s hood.

Grew up on Minutello’s & Vento’s Pizza in Shadyside/East Liberty.

Comment by EMel 04.11.13 @ 5:28 pm

@Emel, Mineo’s is still excellent.

Funny, I think you found pizza places by the girls you ran after.

I’m from the South Hills, but used to run with a girl from Forest Hills, so I was always at Vincents out on 30.

Think it shut down a couple years ago, the parents passed, and the kids didn’t take it over, I think, all conjecture on some hearsay.

Everyone has their favorites, but you know what I always said,

“the best slice of pizza I ever had, was the one on the plate in front of me!!!”. LOL

Comment by Dan 04.11.13 @ 10:16 pm

Looks like Shell is visiting UCLA soon.

Comment by Reed 04.12.13 @ 6:50 am

Shell who?

Comment by Dr. Tom 04.12.13 @ 7:23 am

@ Dan

Bingo.

We use to go to Vincents on Rt. 30 as well when I was dating a girl who lived off the Parkway East.

Vincent was a trip, always a cig dangling from his mouth, flipping pies. That was the heaviest pizza I’ve ever eaten. Good but heavy.
Swear he’d put a pound of Canadian Bacon on it, if not more. You got more condiments the drunker he got in the evening. :-)

And that back room, with the netting and the leaves. lol

Sorry to hear it’s gone. Everything must change, so the song goes.

Comment by EMel 04.12.13 @ 11:51 am