November 29, 2012

To Get To A Bowl

Filed under: Bowls,Football — Chas @ 8:27 am

The good news, is that Pitt has been following that whole 2-wins, 2-losses thing. So from that side of things, Pitt should win in Tampa on Saturday night.

The bad news. Pitt hasn’t won a Big East road game this year. The only road win this year: at Buffalo. Oh, and Pitt is 0-4 in night games this year (1-6 in all games that did not start at noon).

Pitt sits at 5-6. A win squeaks them into a bowl game. Normally this would have Pitt staring down the barrel of a 3d straight trip to Birmingham and the BBVA Bowl. Yet, oddly enough, there is a good chance for Pitt to snag a bid to one of the other bowls.

The Pinstripe and Beef O’Brady Bowl both seem to be expressing a bit more interest in grabbing Pitt.

Admittedly, this seems like small consolation, but after two straight years of the worst January bowl, it sounds downright appealing.

The Pinstripe Bowl is looking Pitt’s way because of the match-up they could create.

Pinstripe Bowl executive director Mark Holtzman said renewing the Backyard Brawl between Pitt and West Virginia at Yankee Stadium “can be very compelling” for his game.

“The question is would it be as compelling for the fans as a Backyard Brawl in Heinz Field,” he said. “You sell out for that and then some. The good thing is it’s a drive and Pitt fans are used to driving to New York for basketball.”

The reason, of course, is money. Pinstripe bowl officials believe they can sell out a Backyard Brawl in New York. A meeting of Cuse and WVU would sell well, but not as well.

While the Beef O’Brady Bowl also seems interested, if the Pinstripe were to pass on Pitt. If Pitt didn’t get picked for the Pinstripe, the key to whether Pitt goes Beef or Birmingham would hinge on ESPN.

ESPN owns and controls both bowls. They aren’t concerned with attendance as much as they are ratings. In the Big East, Pitt has been one of the better draws for TV eyeballs. That’s why Pitt had back-to-back showings in the BBVA. Getting people to watch a low-tiered bowl game on a  post-New Year is not an easy thing. But even ESPN knows there has to be a little variety.

Of course, getting a bowl bid still requires Pitt to win the damn game.

Question for people better informed than I am:

Suppose Pitt wins and UConn loses. Then the Big East has 5 bowl-eligible teams and six contracted bowls. IF Pitt did not get the Pinstripe Bowl, what is to stop Pitt from refusing to go to Birmingham again? It seems like Pitt would actually have some sort of leverage in that situation. But these bowl contract things are super obscure and confusing, which is why I am asking.

Comment by TartanPanther 11.29.12 @ 9:22 am

I’d go to the Pinstripe Bowl to watch the “Big Apple Brawl”. Hanging around a couple more days to celebrate New Year’s Eve in the city wouldn’t be too shabby either. However, not so fast my friends,,,,,

But more importantly, one game at a time. I hope that Chryst can get his team to make believe that they are going down to Florida to play the likes of a Florida State or somebody else of that nature that we can then actually “play up to”. Because if we try to mail this one in we are in big trouble IMO. USF is a team full of talented football players. The team itself is in shambles because it has been decimated by injuries but if Pitt goes in there expecting them to agree to rolling over for us so that we get invited to a bowl game, then we are in for another reality check. (Please refer to YSU and UCONN letdown games).

Respect the game, respect the opponent, respect yourselves and your out goiing senior contingent, then go out and bring home a meaningful win to end our regular season.

Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.29.12 @ 9:30 am

Tartan,
If Pitt wins… I think it will be the backyard brawl with WVU in Yankee stadium… how cool would that be.
That would draw a large crowd from Pitt and WVU.

Comment by Joe D 11.29.12 @ 9:48 am

How bad was it watching Pitt play Rutgers last weekend with all those rivalry games going on?

Would love to see a reconstitution of the Brawl just a train ride away. It might even convince the schools to sign a long term contract, but only if the old farts can give up on PSU being a rival.

Comment by Chris 11.29.12 @ 10:19 am

i agree with chris, id love to see the matchup and id prob take the train to see it. Pitt and Wvu need to find a way to make it happen for hoops and fb, no reason to kill the great rivalry. id much rather play wvu then psu. psu killed this rivalry, ashame for pitt to kill the brawl.

Comment by mike 11.29.12 @ 10:27 am

WVU will never be considered a rivaly on the same level with Penn State for the majority of Pitt fans. When the rivalry was at full steam with Penn State, Pitt was also playing WVU. The Penn State game was so much more important to Pitt fans than the WVU game.

Comment by Floyd 11.29.12 @ 10:37 am

Wait…. I should have used a Chrystism…

That would be “NEAT” to have the backyard brawl against WVU in Yankee stadium.

Comment by Joe D 11.29.12 @ 10:41 am

Is the S Fla game on ESPN? I need to know so I have plenty of booze on hand to help cope with any Tino brain farts.

Comment by TX Panther 11.29.12 @ 10:42 am

USF game is on ESPN2 at 7pm.

Comment by OrlandoAlum 11.29.12 @ 11:21 am

TX panther…..yes, it’s on ESPN 2.

Comment by TOURMAN 11.29.12 @ 11:25 am

Talking bowl games is fun however Saturday’s game is the type of game where our boys seem to have a problem winning.

Let’s go Pitt!

Comment by JR 11.29.12 @ 11:34 am

Oh my God. I don’t care what anyone says. I’d love to see the Backyard Brawl in NYC.

Comment by PatMac 11.29.12 @ 11:38 am

Yippee. I’d better start stocking up now then. I expect Tino to play another mediocre game and help Pitt reach a 500 mark for the season. Hopefully, the Brawl happens in the City. Would love to see that on TV since driving there is out of the question for me. But I’ll do my part – I’ll be contributing to the big ratings on TV.

Comment by TX Panther 11.29.12 @ 11:46 am

Call me an old fart if you like but penn state is our rival whether you like it or not. We compete for students, athletes and resources. No one in their right mind would choose wvu over Pitt or psu as their school. When the rivalry was played every year it was one of the most intense in the country. It will be again. But I would like to play the hoopies in the Pinstripe

Comment by Houston Panther 11.29.12 @ 12:04 pm

We’d be going, have an uncle who lives in The Oranges, allready put the welcome mat out for us if it would happen!!

Comment by Dan 11.29.12 @ 12:12 pm

I’m all for the Big Apple Brawl or my favorite “Backyard Apple Brawl”. As for the two rivalries as much as I loathe PSU and enjoy every loss they have, I hate WVU more. I grew up in the tweener years where I vividly remember the PSU battles (Billy Owens interception) and the rise of the WVU rivalry. As fun asit would be to have both I’ll take WVU so I can continue to bash backwards hoopies.

Comment by J Bizz 11.29.12 @ 12:13 pm

And why shouldn’t or wouldn’t Pitt be considered for the Pinstrip? After all, the Panthers ALMOST defeated #1 Notre Dame. The Blue and Gold also DOMINATED the Scarlet Knights of New Jersey(a New York suburb. The Steeler fans, will have no place to go because the Steelers won;t be going anywhere! Thus, bored Pittsburghers will choose the Pinsripe and a gala New Years in the BIG APPLE!!! Rev. George from Columbus. P.S. All this,of course, is predicated on Pitt beating the Bulls of South Florida!!!

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 11.29.12 @ 12:15 pm

Putting Pitt and WVU in a bowl game is a great idea…I can’t see how that game would not sell out quickly in a small venue like Yankee Stadium…Besides, for all fans involved on both sides, this would be far more than just another second tier bowl game, this would be a “brawl”. Bring it on! Um…I mean, go Pitt, beat USF!

Comment by HbgFrank 11.29.12 @ 12:41 pm

“Billy Owens interception” ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Comment by Dan 11.29.12 @ 12:51 pm

ESPN 7 pm for Pitt FB. ESPN3 7 pm for Pitt BB.

ESPN calls the shots. This is USF Senior day so Pitt players must play hard.

Comment by frank MD 11.29.12 @ 12:53 pm

It’s really a bunch of crap this hoops game couldn’t get moved. For it to only be an “espn 3″ broadcast, who cares what time it starts? Bump it up to 5, and let us get out of the Pete by 7 (victoriously, I hope) to at least stroll down into Oakland and watch the football game, or even head home to watch quarters 2-4.

Comment by JW 11.29.12 @ 1:03 pm

Did anyone else realize our defense is 23rd in points against? Not bad. Hopefully we can shut down the Bulls and give ourselves another chance to win. link to espn.go.com

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.29.12 @ 1:20 pm

Not to get ahead of myself, but I think the Big Apple Brawl would be a great way to add some relevance to an otherwise irrelevent postseason. If Pitt heads to the Big Beefer bowl no one will go, it’ll go on record as Pitt fans not traveling well, and it will be the same as not going to a bowl at all. At least with a WVU Pitt matchup plenty of fans will travel, the game will sell out, and the game will be sure to entertain. I’d dare say that that matchup would be the only compelling matchup in the sea of lower tiered ho-hum matchups.

Comment by Cool Hand Nuke 11.29.12 @ 1:25 pm

Today, Deland Florida runningback JoJo Kemp confirmed Pitt visit.

This week’s game could have impact. Kemp originally committed to South Florida but has since backed off.

Almost same exact size as Corey Clement, but looks FASTER. However, not nearly as productive which is a bit of a puzzle not knowing the details.

Seems to make more big plays on the defense.

Cross your fingers on this one. He could be a nice fit for Chryst’s offense.

Comment by PittofDreams 11.29.12 @ 1:54 pm

I would love to see pitt/wvu..only if i think pitt has a chance. getting blown out would be embarrassing (obviously) someone please tell me we can hang with their speed and it will be close….

Comment by goalie44 11.29.12 @ 2:00 pm

@ goalie44 Well Texas Tech and Kansas State figured out how to slow ‘em down…

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.29.12 @ 2:13 pm

@atlanta panther

that’s all i needed..I’m all in!!
it sucks to look for the dark cloud overhead all the time..

Comment by goalie44 11.29.12 @ 2:17 pm

Focus, USF first!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.29.12 @ 2:19 pm

Note to Pinstripe Bowl:

If/When Pitt wins Move the Game to Heinz Field.

Then you’ll have a sellout. The national viewing TV audience doesn’t care where the game is played.

You want a sellout/loud enthusiastic crowd,
Just MOVE IT !

Comment by Emel 11.29.12 @ 2:36 pm

Yes the ever-steady Dr. Tom is right. Stay on target…Stay on target…

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.29.12 @ 2:37 pm

Head coach salaries. PCs is N/A:

link to usatoday.com

Comment by Pittastic 11.29.12 @ 2:40 pm

While PITT vs the Hoopies is always fun, if but for nothing of resurrecting all the old hillbilly jokes.

It never compared to PITT vs PSU as during the heyday of that rivarly in the middle 70’s to the middle 80’s both teams were usually highly ranked. And a couple were PITT was #1 and PSU was #2. Heck the SEC, who they all think is so great, just had their very FIRST #1 vs #2 last year. Yawn……

We did that 30 years ago !

Let’s go Pitt !
Beat USF ! (gotta keep our stupendous bowl streak going, :-)

Comment by Emel 11.29.12 @ 2:49 pm

This team has shown the ability to play at a high level. If they don’t do Saturday against USF, it is totally on the coaches.
A bowl game, especially a bowl win, will go a long way toward recruiting.

Comment by notrocketscience 11.29.12 @ 3:05 pm

I just have a feeling that if Pitt wins its another visit to Birmingham, just a feeling.

Comment by WLAT and The Big Beat 11.29.12 @ 3:08 pm

As much as I agree that nothing compares to the old Penn St vs Pitt games…they never had game where Pitt was #1 and PSU #2 or vice versa.

It’s a shame that so much time has past since they did play as the main rivals….an entire generation has no idea what those games were like…nothing has come close since.

Comment by milobloom 11.29.12 @ 3:14 pm

It has been well over a decade since PITT and psu played. Hell, psu is as much a rival today as Fordham. Rivals play each other regularly. Sorry to say that psu isn’t our rival in anything let alone football. We simply don’t compete for anything.

Student? nope. Some want the city others the country
Academics? nope. undergrad aside, PITT is several tiers above psu in most graduate programs
Grants? nope again. PITT has this one too.
Athletics? nope. we don’t play each other in any sports that I know of.

psu is a disliked school by PITT folks but that is about as far as it goes (until we start competing against each other for something).

WVU was (I emphasize was) as rival. We played each other in every sport. We competed for the same undergraduate student body. WVU will soon no longer be a rival of our either. I suspect that Vtech will take the place of both.

Comment by PITT Fan in Atlanta 11.29.12 @ 3:33 pm

Actually I like beating ND more than WVU. ND-Pitt was very highly rated TV game. Pitt-PSU would ignite instant rivalry. VT-Pitt ok but I doubt it would rise to the level of the three teams above.

We should survey. If you could go to only one game which one would you go to of PSU, ND, WVU, VT.

Comment by frank MD 11.29.12 @ 3:45 pm

Those that grew up and went to school during the football rivalry will always consider it a rivalry and will always hate each other regardless of whether games are played or not. Anyone under 25 probably doesn’t view Pedo State as a rival and doesn’t care. That’s unfortunate.

But even today, those schools compete for the same type of students for academics and research grant money. So although the rivalry isn’t on the field anymore, those schools will always compete against each other for non-athletic things.

My hatred for State Penn was always greater than the Hoopies but WVU became a very good rival on the field and I do miss that Brawl. But in the end, I’d still pick an arrogant brain washed zombie Nitter over a boorish toothless inbred Hillbilly to rumble with.

Comment by TX Panther 11.29.12 @ 3:50 pm

PITT Fan in Atlanta:

Just one comment, I don’t think many students have to contemplate whether to go to Pitt or WVU. If they got into Pitt, it’s a no-brainer unless money is an issue.

BTW, my answer is PSU.

Comment by panther94 11.29.12 @ 3:53 pm

Im an old pitt fan and the big one was always penn st,it was fun to beat up on wv but i always felt kind of sorry for them being inbred and all,only rooted for nd when they played penn st

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.29.12 @ 4:16 pm

Pitt-wvu would be an automatic $$$ grab for that bowl game, BUT that means the pressure is on Pitt to produce on national tv——paging Mr. Palko, Mr. Palko to the huddle please!
I just have a hard time thinking/picturing Santino with the pressure of a must win on national tv.
By the way-my vote is PSU as well.

Comment by John 11.29.12 @ 4:22 pm

It’s tough. I remember dorsett shredding ND in back to back years, to the amazement of the ND tv announcers and I remember dorsett shredding psu at three rivers stadium lined up at full back. shame on u joe pa…

Comment by goalie44 11.29.12 @ 4:22 pm

PSU and Pitt are always going to have that big brother – little brother rivalry. Face it they are the big brother and we are always going to try to measure up. The problem is that that goddamned stater attitude. I’m happy to live in the south because if i see one more of those “If God isn’t a Penn State fan then why is the sky blue?” bumper stickers…

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.29.12 @ 4:54 pm

If God was a Penn State fan, Poopy Pants would have been resurrected by now. Obviously, Satan is putting JoePa to good use below.

Comment by TX Panther 11.29.12 @ 4:59 pm

THE BRAWL IN THE BRONX!
Sounds tougher than Big Apple Brawl, imho…

Comment by Patrick 11.29.12 @ 5:19 pm

@Tx
Satan putting Joe to good use! A classic.
The next tackle made by WVU will be the first this year.
On expansion.
The Big 12 (10) is highly vulnerable. It is one defection away from extinction. If Texas leaves, then the conference folds.
Whether the SEC or Big ten, Oklahoma will follow.
Baylor, TCU, Tech and Okies will go as a package somewhere. No one cares about Kansas, Kstate or Iowa State.

Comment by SFPitt 11.29.12 @ 6:08 pm

Frank, it is and always has been Penn St. for me, the primary reason being that I know more Penn St. alums than WVU, ND, or any other D-I school, including some of my best friends. Our arguments about the programs go back to grade school. I am so sick and tired of hearing about the Big 10, their attendance, their generic ‘traditions’. A win on the field puts all that to rest, for at least one year. I can’t wait to play them again.

Comment by Iron Duke 11.29.12 @ 6:27 pm

I’m in the south, albeit not as far, and I still see those PSU bumper stickers.

Comment by panther94 11.29.12 @ 6:55 pm

You guys are nuts. I hate Penn State. Everyone in the state who doesn’t go to school hates Penn State. We hate Penn State they think their shit don’t stink. They think it’s the Penn State way or your wrong. The rivalry may be even fiercer, as no student has an outlet for their frustrations without football being played. You guys all don’t know what you’re talking about if you really think people under 25 don’t care. I can most certainly assure you the rivalry rages on. This website used to take you to the Pitt homepage until someone tweaked it: http://www.pennstaterejects.com

For whoever mentioned that JoJo Kemp kid being recruited, I did not know he was visiting. That would be a great get to replace Corey Clement. I think JoJo prolly might be even better.

Comment by Timmeh 11.29.12 @ 7:26 pm

Reply to TX Panther’s “I need … plenty of booze on hand to help cope with any Tino brain farts.”

Now THAT was funny!

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 11.29.12 @ 7:50 pm

Reply to frank MD’s survey, “If you could go to only one game which one would you go to of PSU, ND, WVU, VT.”

That’s easy, PSU!! It was a GREAT rivalry in its heyday, easily equal to any of the big ones (Bedlam, Red River Shootout, Civil War, Holy War, etc.). Nothing was sweeter than beating them, especially in State College. WVU, ND, VT, nice to beat them too, but really no comparison.

In fact, at the risk of getting ahead of myself, I plan to fly in from the West Coast for both games in 2016-17. But it won’t be quite as much fun beating them now, since JoePa’s trying to explain his actions to His Maker, why he provided cover for a pedophile predator for all those years….

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 11.29.12 @ 7:57 pm

PSU is by far Pitt’s biggest rival.

Brain farts is an awesome way of describing Tino’s flaws. He is much improved

Comment by notrocketscience 11.29.12 @ 8:02 pm

Emel, Stein at QB for L’ville? Oy vey!

Comment by steve1 11.29.12 @ 8:02 pm

…sorry, freaking iPad. He is much improved but he still has those moments that make you scratch your head and drink another martini.

Comment by notrocketscience 11.29.12 @ 8:04 pm

Nothing to fight over fellas.

Guys that watched Pitt in the 70’s and 80’s nothing compares. Penn St. The rivalry was considered (not just by a biased Pitt fan here), but everyone in the country to be one of the top 3,4,5 rivalries around.

It owned the Friday after T-Giving whith Nebraska v. Oklahoma.

Even Good Morning America interviewed JoePa and Jackie Sherrill one gameday, a couple hours before kickoff.

That big. Said in the same breath with OSU-Mich, Aub-Ala, Ok-Tx, and USC-UCLA.

HOWEVER, fans in the 90’s and 00’s would certainly think that WVU was the nastier rivalry, and that is all good.

That is what they grew up on. Actually, they’d be crazy to think otherwise. That’s who they really hate.

So, no wrong answer really.

Comment by Dan 11.29.12 @ 8:54 pm

With being a Pitt 70’s and 80’s fan, of course I believe Penn State.

To some of you younger fans, who I gave you your due above, let me just say this…..

If given the chance, to continue after the 2016 and 2017 games on a regular basis, you may just find out what a lot of us know.

The Penn State game was extremely nasty, and so much fun all of the time……………

because there are so many more Penn St. fans and grads around Pgh. and W.Pa. than WVU fans.

Cousins, aunts, uncles, neighbors, co-workers, all of us, younger, older, probably know a lot more PSU people than WVU people.

That is what made it really crazy.

I myself, just off the top of my head, probably know 20 or more PSU people. I know about 2 WVU people.

So, keep that in mind, but I do understand why WVU is bigger to some.

Comment by Dan 11.29.12 @ 8:58 pm

Penn State sucks. They are Pitt’s main rival

Comment by Houston Panther 11.29.12 @ 9:15 pm

I think PSU, then ND, then WVU, then VT.

Comment by frank MD 11.29.12 @ 9:21 pm

PSU would immediately return to being rival No.1 should the series continue consistently. As a child of the ’80s and ’90s and eventual student of the late ’90s, I only got small samplings of it, and at a time when Pitt would get run off the field. But the atmosphere was unrivaled, especially in the ’80s when I was fortunate enough to go to a game or two. I think the biggest factor is that like Dan was describing, it’s not a regional thing like WVU — for so many of us from Western PA especially it could be a daily thing, living amongst the countless PSU folks here too. (Including my wife!)

Technically, I’ve viewed WVU as my most “hated” rival these past 8-10 years, and ND is really the team everybody wants to beat, but PSU could and should be rival No.1.

Comment by JW 11.29.12 @ 10:06 pm

Chris and everyone: As an official old fart I think we should play both the nits and the hoopies, probably not both every year but at least one each year. Both were great rivalries to the extreme and I miss them both as obviously many of our fellow Blatherers do. It would be great if we could do this along with the Irish in the mix plus annual games with VA. Tech, Syracuse, Georgia Tech and our other new friends/rivals in the ACC.

Now lets get off of this rivals and bowl game stuff and concentrate on beating South Florida Saturday. I may be arrogant or delusional or superstitious but it seems like every time we start talking like this before a game the team plays a lousy game and blows it. Lets at least set a good example. We will have all winter, spring and summer to talk about the other stuff! Go Pitt! Beat the Bulls! Beat the damn Bulls!! HTP!

Comment by opfim 11.29.12 @ 10:27 pm

Question – with PSU and OSU ineligible to go to bowls and Indiana and Purdue not bowl eligible it appears there are not enough schools to fill all the bowl games tied to the B10, could Pitt be invited to one of those B10 bowls as an at Large ?

Comment by spindler's spirit 11.29.12 @ 10:44 pm

I think Syracuse is a bigger rival than VT. No way I think VT should be mentioned in the same breath as Penn State Farmer’s High School, ND and WVCC. If VT is a rival, it’s only a very nascent rivalry born of us spanking them 4 – or is it 5? – times in a row this millenium when they were supposed to be much better than us, plus that close loss in Blacksburg when we knocked Vick outta the game.

Comment by Deepelemblues 11.29.12 @ 10:58 pm

Damn it, we play the South Florida Bulls on Saturday! Sure they aren’t Notre Dame or Penn State or the Hoopies but beating them determines if we go to a bowl game. Lets concentrate on what is important right now. Our seniors will be a lot happier as will we if Pitt wins this game. It will be better for recruiting. The off season will be a lot more fun if we win and we can blather about all this other stuff then. So for the next 48 hours lets keep it all focused on beating the bulls! Go Pitt!!!

Comment by opfim 11.29.12 @ 11:17 pm

You don’t go into a true fight against an inbred. No, that turns into a ‘Brawl’, where the mountain man throws wild and inaccurate punches against anyone and you happened to be closest.

That being said… you give whatever you can to get the upper hand against a rival… whether fisticuffs, scoring the girl, hell – just getting a better grade on the test. Against that rival, everything is a competition. You respect a rival, but want nothing more to shove them into the ground.

PSU is a rival, the stuck up jock who thinks they are better than you just because they exist. WVU just happened to not like the way you looked at his sister at the bar. Sad to also see people thing ND is a rival, when they clearly have everything you want (save a family full of jaggoffs), but it makes sense.

Comment by Benzene 11.30.12 @ 2:22 am

Congrats to Louisville. Butgers comes up short again. Even Pitt went to a BCS game. Rutgers is still waiting. Having second thoughts Big 10?

Comment by TX Panther 11.30.12 @ 7:07 am

ACC 1, Big Ten 0. Would be even better to see Louisville knock off Florida State in the Orange Bowl.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.30.12 @ 7:32 am

I’m beginning to think that this football season is going to finish somewhat like last basketball season — we played in that nondescript tournament, and won it, even beating Butler along the way! Now I look at USF as a “bowl game,” and I think we will beat them, and go to a legitimate, ‘though minor bowl, win that as well, and get all set for a new era next season! It’s DEJA VU time!

Comment by Stanley Schweiger ('60) 11.30.12 @ 7:35 am

While I agree the Pitt-PSU rivalry WAS the best, it is no more.

It takes 2 teams to make a rivalry. PSU does NOT see Pitt as a rival presently. We can hate all we want, but it is sad to say that PSU just doesn’t care about Pitt anymore. If the schools agree to play each other more frequently in the future, this might change, but 2 games aren’t going to do it.

The Steelers – Raiders was once a GREAT rivalry. It generated the same hatred the Pitt-PSU rivalry did. Once they started to meet on the field less and less, the rivalry faded.

If I had to pick ONE overall, it would be PSU. If I had to pick one for the future, it would be WVU.

GO PITT

Comment by pghFred 11.30.12 @ 7:47 am

Who was the genius that scheduled us playing USF in football and Detroit in basketball at the exact same time?

Comment by AJ 11.30.12 @ 8:04 am

The genius was espn, our master. The USF game was a TBA.

Comment by alcofan 11.30.12 @ 8:25 am

PSU was the best. more colleagues to debate and wager with around the water cooler.

Rivals are made on the field of battle, not by the PR department. Connecticut became our rival on the court because they were the team to beat.

Disappointed about Maryland, but not because they could have been a rival.

Hopefully, our rivals will be the best in the ACC.

Comment by gc 11.30.12 @ 9:15 am

I could feel sorry for Butgers if their fans weren’t complete jackoffs. I still remember their attitude and low class behavior in 2006 at Heinz Field. I would normally root for a team that has been kicked around for so long but not sorry to see Butgers lose out.

Comment by Coach Ditka 11.30.12 @ 9:15 am

PSU. Screw the Hoopies.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 11.30.12 @ 9:43 am

Glad to see Louisville beat Rutgers….

I was rooting for the ACC team to beat the Big10 team.

Comment by Joe D 11.30.12 @ 9:43 am

The difference between a Penn Stater and a Pittster.

Penn State fans are ANNOYING YUPPIES who love to shake their Poms Poms and rub in the fact they won hours after the game is over.

After a win, Pitt Guys hit the bar, start throwing back cold ones, and instead of rubbing it in have no problem talking about the big plays of the game with fans from the other team and tell them “Good Game!”

As we all know, West Virginia is another story altogether. Mostly due to the fact that most of the Mountain__eers are actually from Western PA but didn’t get accepted at Pitt.

Comment by PittofDreams 11.30.12 @ 9:57 am

I can at least drink a gin and tonic with a Nitter. I can’t stomach the Hoopie moonshine. I like the beer at most Pitt tailgates.

Comment by TX Panther 11.30.12 @ 10:18 am

I love all this stuff but it will be a lot more fun after and if we beat the Bulls and become eligible for a bowl game. That game is in about 32 hours people!! Lets get focused on that and send some positive mojo the team’s way. As certified nutcase Pitt fans we are part of the zeitgeist. Lets get focused the way we want the team to be! I don’t want to be posting here or reading here about how the team was distracted by looking ahead to conference realignment or a bowl game. I don’t know the first thing about being a cheerleader but here goes, everybody now: GO PITT, BEAT THE BULLS!!!

Comment by opfim 11.30.12 @ 10:58 am

JoeD and I are FINALLY on the same page and for the same reason. I too rooted successfully for the Cardinals vs. Rutgers. ACC always gets my support over the Big Ten (or 12 or 14 whatever they will call themselves. Hey! That Bridgewater is quite a QB and just a soph. BEAT THE BULLS!!! Rev. George from Columbus

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 11.30.12 @ 11:03 am

There are friendly rivals, like my football & hoops lunch bets whenever Pitt plays USF in anything with with my good buddy who graduated from USF. Not to be confused with the “good clean hate” rivals that take it up a whole ‘nother notch.

For me, WVU falls somewhere between those two. They’re like your little brother who you wanna beat in driveway hoops just because he’s an annoying knucklehead. But you don’t hate him. I find myself actually rooting for WVU sometimes (unless they’re playing us). And unless it’s my couch they’re burning, I find all that a little amusing.

But I despise Penn State with every molecule of my being. They’re like the bad neighbor who calls the cops on your BBQ party because your guest parked an inch into his driveway, or lets his dog poop in your yard, or swipes your morning paper.

I can’t root for Penn State to save my life. I hate their snobbery, their tired boring unis, their chants, the cult mentality including the (barely hidden) literal worship of a child molester’s protector. To those that have never experienced it: trust me, nothing feels better than knocking them down a peg by beating them, especially in State College.

Good clean hate, like Woody Hayes calling it “that state up north” and Brady Hoke calling them just “Ohio.” Speaking of filthy schools that I hate and cannot root for, let’s add the Bugeyes to that list too.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 11.30.12 @ 11:13 am

Good going Rev. George, we’re getting on the right track. GO PITT, BEAT THE BULLS!!!!!

Comment by opfim 11.30.12 @ 11:17 am

I have my Sam Adams holiday 12-pack ready to go. I hope that I don’t have to break out the hard liqour to forget a loss. My mojo is rising.

Comment by TX Panther 11.30.12 @ 11:30 am

PoD made a very good point. Any school who’s male fan base finds it not only acceptable but seemingly necessary to shake pom poms is seriously effed up.

Screw Penn State.

Forever.

Comment by ECH 11.30.12 @ 11:50 am

And, a man that throws marshmellows is really not a man.

Comment by TX Panther 11.30.12 @ 11:59 am

@ Imma Man! Im 40!

Wow. Your post gave me chills. Yes. Totally Agree!

Comment by pittbluegold 11.30.12 @ 1:26 pm

lol Had a hunch ;-) L-Ville was going to beat Buttgers. Not that I like either team, but we all knew Buttgers was a fraud at 9-1, now 9-3.

No way they should EVER be in a BCS Bowl !

And yes Bring out the small knife for the Bulls.

Comment by EMel 11.30.12 @ 2:34 pm

And now they won’t….lmao

Exactly the way I feel Imma man

I have on occassion rooted for the Hoopies, ikr and it wasn’t because I had a bet on the game.

But no matter whoever Ped State & Ohio Fake are playing, I root for the other team.

As ALL loyal PITT alumni do ! lol

P.S. we forgive the Rev. since he is in Columbus
and we understand.

Comment by EMel 11.30.12 @ 2:41 pm

I love arguments about Penn State and the follow up argument about why the big ten is so beyond overrated its INCONCEIVABLE. I have a bunch of friends who are die hard PSU fans and their family roots go way back in the puritan blue and white sacrilege. I counter with my own passion and family lineage. My great grandfather, who is still alive graduated from Pitt in 1933, he was in the band and his first job was to provide tours to the newly opened Cathedral of Learning. My argument to PSU has always been 9 national championships and 8 NFL hall of fame members, screw their attendance and their illusions. As for WVU they are just as bad and we compete more directly with them for recruits. I liked the story in 2002-2003 season when Pitt’s QB City leaguer Rod Rutherford played against WVU QB city leaguer Rasheed Marshall. This year is no different they got Fab 22 guys Rawlins and Hodari Christian.

Comment by Beantown-Sean 11.30.12 @ 2:51 pm

Beantown – Sean

God Bless your Great Grandfather. A GREAT PITT ALUM!

Comment by PittofDreams 11.30.12 @ 3:13 pm

Forgot to ask what he thinks of Tino?

Comment by PittofDreams 11.30.12 @ 3:14 pm

Lets stay focused. BEAT THE BULLS!!!

Comment by opfim 11.30.12 @ 3:43 pm

Thanks Pitt of Dreams. And I think he might be on the board of the ABT organization.

Comment by Beantown-Sean 11.30.12 @ 3:47 pm

Beat the Bulls. Beat the Bulls. Beat the Bulls. Beat the Bulls. Beat the Bulls. Beat the Bulls. Beat the Bulls. Beat the Bulls.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.30.12 @ 4:16 pm

Imma Man. Imma with you on your Ped State comments. Until we play those arrogant pricks again, its still “12-0″ and thank you Rod Rutherford (last time we played). I was there and I’m sure others on here were also. Penn State sucks. Always will. HTP

Comment by Bossdaws 11.30.12 @ 4:23 pm

Imma Man, you fail to appreciate the essential benefit that penn state, including all of their alumni and fans, all over the planet provide, for humanities basic existence. What would become of the world without gravity? Life as we know it would cease to exist.

Now I understand the theory of how gravity is suppossedly produced due to mass attracting mass and that the huge mass of a heavenly body like the planet Earth would thus produces it’s own gravitational field. But all Pitt alumni know the real reason why our feet remain firmly planted on the ground. It’s because penn state SUCKS!!!!

So stop being such a psu hater, they serve a function.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.30.12 @ 4:55 pm

Back in the 60’s it felt like Penn State was Pitt’s only rival. WVU always considered Pitt their biggest game of the year, but the feeling was definitely not mutual. And even when neither team was a winner, I still remember the 1965 last second win over PSU as one of the best I have ever seen.

Comment by San Diego Panther 69 11.30.12 @ 5:02 pm

I remember this clearly: Puking when Penn State went 7 points up on us in ’76.

I dry heaved when we lost to ND this year.

No other rival comes close to provoking me like that.

Comment by steve1 11.30.12 @ 5:16 pm

I’m in Tampa anyone want to meet up for drinks…..Joe D, Omar..lol…Go Pitt …love the weather down here

Comment by Marco 11.30.12 @ 5:33 pm

Marco, get over to Frenchy’s in Clearwater Beach if you love grouper and stone crabs.

Comment by steve1 11.30.12 @ 5:51 pm

Thanks Steve had lunch there today…lol

Comment by Marco 11.30.12 @ 6:33 pm

Why is the sky blue and white?
Cuz God luvs PENN STATE.

NO ONE CAN HATE THEM MORE THAN I DO.

NOW REMEMBER: ALL ARROGANCE WILL REAP A HARVEST RICH WITH TEARS.

Comment by Gas 11.30.12 @ 6:48 pm

Headed out for HH.

Since as Chas noted Buffalo is our only road win of the season? (and we desperately need another road win)

Riddle me this……

What do USF & Buffalo have in common ???
(answer at 11 (or thereabouts), lol )

Comment by Emel 11.30.12 @ 7:19 pm

bulls oy vey

Comment by steve1 11.30.12 @ 7:22 pm

@Dr Tom

Yes there certainly is a large Mass in Creepy Valley

Now what that Mass exactly is, is subject to debate.

haha :-)

Comment by Emel 11.30.12 @ 7:25 pm

My dad went to Penn State,as did his dad and all 4 of his dad’s brothers. I hate Penn State with every ounce of my body and then some.

I still think the “Carson Long and wide” 1975 7-6 loss game was the most difficult loss as a fan of any I’ve ever had, and Pitt’s worst loss ever at any sport. I can still see Gordon Jones catching a psss late in the game and running for a TD with only one solitary Nittany “Pig” Safety laying on the ground to stop him and instead of going around, he tried to jump over him and of course fell down on contact. We missed 3 point blank FG’s and an extra point that night and other than the score, totally dominaed PSU

WVU annoys me like an insect crawling up my wall.

To me, our arch rival will always be Penn State.

Comment by Dan 72 11.30.12 @ 8:08 pm

Both are also 3 win teams I believe and will have only about 10k in attendance. I expect Pitt to win big. They are 7 point favorites. Then, on to the PinStripe to play the Hoopies who rape poor little sheep.

Comment by TX Panther 11.30.12 @ 8:22 pm

My two favorite teams are the Pitt Panthers and whoever is playing Penn State that weekend.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.30.12 @ 8:37 pm

Georgia Tech to Big Ten is the new rumor. Is the Big Ten trying to kill the ACC?

Comment by Chris 11.30.12 @ 8:52 pm

Chris, do you have sources?

Comment by panther94 11.30.12 @ 9:52 pm

GA Tech has issued a statement to deny this rumor.

Comment by HbgFrank 11.30.12 @ 11:21 pm

The Dude from WV is spreading rumours again. He does this whenever he feels threatened. Louisville going to the ACC is helping isolate WVU. And eventually every conference will go to 16 teams. Who will the Big 12 target now. FSU and Clemson want the SEC but it doesn’t want them since no new TV sets. NC and Va are the key. Why would they go to a mid west conference and give up their southern heritage and have their fans travel to snowy northern places to watch games. And if the Big 10 thinks Ga Tech will bring the Atlanta market, they are wrong. Georgia is top dog in the state. Ga Tech is small and private and doesn’t fit the land grant state profile. Va and NC are the better choices and neither will move unless the SEC picks of Va Tech and NC State. At that point, you’ll need to worry about Florida St. Its a battle between the Big 12 which actually sits at 10 and the ACC. Only one of those conferences will survive. My money is on the ACC. The Big 12 has lost 4 teams already. The ACC only 1 and that one was replaced by a better program…athletically that is.

Comment by TX Panther 12.01.12 @ 7:03 am

Georgia Tech is public not private and has 21,000 undergrads. Not Big 10 size on average but as large as NW and certainly as “prestigious.”

Comment by A-Wild 12.01.12 @ 10:27 am

But do they deliver Atlanta? They don’t. Nobody in Georgia will watch the Big 10 network. They are southerners to the core.

Also, Pitt is considered public but for all intents and purposes they are private. What percentage of funds does Ga Tech receive from the state? Pitt’s share is less than 10 percent and will soon be zero. Pitt fits like a glove in the ACC and so does Ga Tech. If they leave, they are stupid.

Comment by TX Panther 12.01.12 @ 1:52 pm

Atlanta may be geographically southern but it ceased being a “true” southern city a long time ago. How many BIG 10 alum do you think live in ATL? IF GT has the opportunity to make millions more they are gone like yesterday.

Comment by A-Wild 12.02.12 @ 11:00 am