August 24, 2012

Looking A Little Ahead

Filed under: Football,Recruiting — Chas @ 8:48 am

Some things on a few of the players we will see next year.

Pitt’s top recruit, QB Tra’von Chapman talks about how he decided that Pitt was his choice.

So how did the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Chapman tab Pitt while forsaking nearby Kent State where his father, Thad Jemison, and one of his mentors, Darrell Hazell, coach, along with his hometown school of Cincinnati?

“It wasn’t an easy decision,” Chapman said. “My dad played at Ohio State and we, coach Tressel and coach Hazell are all so connected. Growing up, I was a Buckeye through most of high school. But when that stuff went down with Tressel leaving, it changed everything.”

Chapman had his choices down to Pitt, Wisconsin, Kent St. and Cinci. Ultimately Kent State wasn’t enough of a challenge. Then a lot of the decision had to do with geography. Cinci was too close. Wisconsin too far. But Pitt was just right.

“Part of the reason I left Cincinnati [to come live with his father in Kent] is because there’s a lot of negative things happening there,” he said. “I wanted to stay out of trouble and keep focused on school and football. If I would have gone back to Cincinnati for college, those same negative things would have been there.”

In the end, that’s why Chapman believed Pitt offered the best mix of everything he was looking for.

“Pitt gave me the best chance to grow as a man, without being too far away,” he said. “That, and the [Paul Chryst] coaching staff made me feel comfortable. The facilities, the way the uniforms look, going to a situation where I might be able to play right away might be what some kids look for. But for me, I feel comfortable saying I can see myself there for four years. Those coaches, they blew it out of the water to me.”

Part of me died a little inside when he said the uniforms.

Tyrique Jarrett signed with Pitt for this year, but the DT will be spending this season at Milford Academy getting his academics in order. It will be interesting to see if he can take home defensive MVP honors at Milford. That would make it four straight year a Pitt commit did it. Todd Thomas, K.K. Smith and Jevonte Pitts have taken the honor.

[By the way, if you need a reminder of how old you are getting, Keith Byars, Jr. is on the Milford roster.]

Shakir Soto was one of the early verbals to this 2013 class. He is also going to be one of the first on campus.

Soto plans on leaving GAR and enrolling at Pitt for the spring semester, which starts Jan. 7. By doing so, the 6-foot-4, 255-pound defensive lineman will get to participate in offseason workouts at Pitt and be eligible to play in the spring game.

“Scott Orndoff, one of the commitments from Pitt, he’s doing it too,” Soto said. “He told me about it and one of the coaches said, ‘Yeah, you should do it.’ I looked into it, and being out there and having an extra semester of school and an extra semester of football, I’ll be ahead of everyone else.”

Anything to bring more depth to the D-line.

I don’t think any HS Senior should enroll early.
You only go through HS one time in your life.
You only experience Senior year one time in your life.
Enjoy the most special, memorable time of your life.

That said, if I were a committ… I would hire a personal trainer to duplicate the workouts the Pitt S&C coach wanted.
I would also attend as many practice or group sessions the coach permits in the spring.

Comment by Joe D 08.24.12 @ 9:09 am

Chapman never said which uniforms he was referring to… Solid reason to come to Pitt though, seems like there is plenty of rationale behind it beyond just a desire to play.

Comment by Benzene 08.24.12 @ 9:11 am

I certainly agree that early enrollment is the best way to go for several reasons. Without causing any controversy or prolonged debate, where do you think Chad Voytik would be right now if he enrolled early? We would all feel alot more comfortable going into the season had that occurred and who knows what the depth chart would look like at qb.

Secondly,and importantly for Pitt, how many recruits have we lost over the years on LOI day? Early enrollment just doesn’t permit irrational last minute changes.

In the end though, Coach Chryst is getting kids that want to come to Pitt and play for Pitt which is half the battle. More coaching is always preferable and the extra time with teammates and coaches will pay dividends. The best times of your life are in college, not high school in my opinion.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 08.24.12 @ 9:51 am

What exactly is wrong with Pitt’s uniforms?

Comment by notrocketscience 08.24.12 @ 9:52 am

I certainly hope that senior year of high school isn’t the “most special, memorable time” of this kid, or any kid’s life.

Comment by omar 08.24.12 @ 9:55 am

@rocketcience

for me it’s the gold. its the same color as half a dozen other teams. plus the blue keeps changing. I prefer the old mustard and blue with or without pitt script at this point. pitt’s greatest era (not counting the thirties)was with the old colors. lets stick to 2 and not change every other year. just my two cents…

Comment by goalie44 08.24.12 @ 10:21 am

Dudes, senior year is awesome. hasn’t anyone seen Dazed and Confused? Enroll early fellas. A few parties and chasing skirts with your old buddies from high school vs. learning the playbook, practicing at a college level, going through summer conditioning with the team *and* partying…er socializing… with college girls who *love* football players. I know what I’d do. But…ahem…I’m sure these guys are only doing it for the football.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 08.24.12 @ 10:32 am

I never thought it would happen but I agree with
Joe D on this one. My senior year in High School
was the best year of my life!

Comment by Class of 69 08.24.12 @ 10:33 am

My Senior year in HS was great as were all 4 years…
My 4 years at Pitt was great…

But my best 4 years of my life… age 24-28..
Living in Hermosa Beach, CA… a block from the beach with a view of the ocean… single… with a bunch of single buddies chasing skirt and enjoying life to the fullest… and we had money to spend!! lol

Comment by Joe D 08.24.12 @ 10:47 am

Scholarship count??
Pantherlair said 2012 at 83 counting the recent newbie and wi transfer…
According to the roster, 18 will graduate.
So, that leaves 20 ships for 2013 class… is that correct?

Comment by Joe D 08.24.12 @ 10:52 am

I believe you all have his (Chapman) statement of the uniforms out of context — he was saying the way unforms look (and other things) are what may matter for other recruits .. but he seemed to be pretty enthralled b the coaches.

Comment by wbb 08.24.12 @ 11:10 am

Tyrique Jarrett played in the Big 33 and was alarge presence — figuratively and literally

Comment by wbb 08.24.12 @ 11:14 am

Although I enjoyed my Senior year, halfway through I was going through the motions knowing what lay ahead of me. I already dated most girls and my sports career was over. Early enrollment gives you the best of both worlds. As Atlanta Panther said. Look at all the advantages you get…enjoy your senior year AND get a leg up on the competition…I’ll take it! Not to mention you’re a semester or two ahead on your degree.

Comment by J Bizz 08.24.12 @ 11:38 am

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Joe D- Senior Year of High School the best year of your life???? I think we all just learned a lot.

Comment by Dan35 08.24.12 @ 11:44 am

By the way, Joe D- please don’t point me to a second or third comment you posted. I have a firm rule that I will view a maximum of 1 (and only 1) Joe D comment per day.

Comment by Dan35 08.24.12 @ 11:46 am

Dan35..
re-read… I said special and memorable.. and yes, for me it was special and memorable.
The best years of my life… age 24-28..

Comment by Joe D 08.24.12 @ 11:50 am

Chapman was saying that uniforms may be what other recruits look at, but he just wanted to be comfortable.

Comment by Dylan 08.24.12 @ 11:55 am

As long as the uniforms he likes involve some version of blue and gold and………..NOT ALL WHITE, I’m ok with it! After all you have remember these recruits are still in high school.

Comment by Justinian 08.24.12 @ 12:09 pm

Our uniforms look just fine to me, especially when they’re located in the opposing endzone while lifting up Ray Graham, etc. after scoring another TD!

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.24.12 @ 12:25 pm

Dan35, We have a rule at work for a co-worker that limits him to 5 questions per meeting…we should apply a 5 post limit on Joe D.

Joe D – please don’t take over the blog. If you could condense all of your posts into one neat entry (without rehashing every other post what your opinions on the matter are) it would be greatly appreciated.

We know you think track and 40 times are important and that you don’t like Cryst’s recruiting methods and that your are not particularly impressed with local recruiting and the WPIAL. We know you think Foster will go to Michigan..etc etc.

Thank you in advance and I apologize if I came across as a bully but I really like this blog and don’t want to start ignoring the comments sections like I do on other blogs (you know which one).

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 08.24.12 @ 12:43 pm

Tino’s uniform looks much better when he’s standing up and clean as opposed to on his back with dirt stains.

Comment by TX Panther 08.24.12 @ 12:45 pm

In regard to the Pitt uniforms, I would like to second Dr. Tom’s statement

Comment by Justinian 08.24.12 @ 12:48 pm

Before the mustard color, I think Pitt often wore gold helmets like ND, etc.
I know I am in the minority but I actually like the current color scheme and also the white.
Has anyone seen Michigan States uniforms lately. They are awesome.

Comment by notrocketscience 08.24.12 @ 1:51 pm

I wouldn’t mind those Nike Pro Combat Unis from a couple years ago…I thought those things were AWESOME!

Comment by BCPITT 08.24.12 @ 1:54 pm

Comment by EveryLoyalSon 08.24.12 @ 2:03 pm

I like Pitt’s current and past uniforms. If uniforms make the player, Pitt would be playing for a national championship every year — against Oregon, my second best uniformed team. :-)

Comment by MarietteMike 08.24.12 @ 2:07 pm

I’m guessing you all heard Manasseh Garner is transferring to Pitt.
link to triblive.com

But this post is about unis. I love the big, bold W on Wisconsin’s helmets. It says, well, big and bold.

Comment by steve1 08.24.12 @ 2:08 pm

Short note at the end Lloyd Carrington is transferring out.

link to post-gazette.com

Comment by BCPITT 08.24.12 @ 2:35 pm

Notrocketsicence, Yes, the golden helmets were the standard at Pitt, in the years before Johnny Majors came in. Majors made the change, more as a statement than anything else. That’s pretty much what Walt Harris did in going back to them. I like the gold, but as Dr. Tom so elequently stated, they look especially good when they are in the opposing team’s endzone where players are lifting up Ray Graham after a touchdown.

Comment by Justinian 08.24.12 @ 2:40 pm

Uniforms, uniforms, uniforms. If you’re not getting it, re-read what Chapman said, he was speaking of what goes through other kid’s minds when picking a school, in regards to uniforms. Not himself.

Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Digdug 08.24.12 @ 2:49 pm

See, the white looks awesome…

link to google.com

Comment by notrocketscience 08.24.12 @ 3:17 pm

at least it does on the tight end

Comment by wbb 08.24.12 @ 4:07 pm

excellent, wbb

Comment by steve1 08.24.12 @ 5:50 pm

Oh my. hail to PITT!?!?!

Comment by Digdug 08.24.12 @ 6:15 pm

Joe D reed said 20 commits the outher day but then and i dont remmber why he came back and said
it could be 23 so i am not sure now and we just gave 3 to walk ons
and a CB is to transfer so that is one to the good and we have to save one for savage for next year and one for the FB from ohio state that transferd to pitt.

so to tell the truth i dont know but i think 19
could be it. but some knows reed a little help here how many can we give.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.24.12 @ 6:19 pm

I think there are at least four out of ten 5th year rsSR for 2013 who will be gone so that gives us four more scholarships. Depending on how the underclassmen perform this season there could be even more 5th year SRs pushed on their way.

Comment by Reed 08.24.12 @ 6:40 pm

Win with consistency and your uniforms will be chic. Lose in great looking clothes and you are still a losing team.

Comment by SFPitt 08.24.12 @ 6:54 pm

Reed and JD a little help please there are 83 on
team now and 15 sr so that is 17 we can give if no one leaves.
so can we give just one more or after the season is over we push some out as you say red shirt sr.
so does that meam we sign 25 or do we sign 17
i would like it in detail so i can understand
would these red shirt sr be done with school or do they have a year to go with school not football
some how this does not seam fair.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.24.12 @ 7:25 pm

and savage was not on the list of 83 becuse he is a walk on so do we save the 17th for him
or do we just hope there is one for him next year.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.24.12 @ 7:29 pm

I believe the gold in our unis should match the seats at Hienz… Wouldn’t that give the stadium more of a Pitt feel?

Comment by Pitt2Cali 08.24.12 @ 7:30 pm

Joe D, if I could “like” a comment your at 10:47 gets a HUGE thumbs up

Comment by Atlanta Panther 08.24.12 @ 7:56 pm

Frank,
I don’t know the exact number… you say 17… my count is 20.
Be it as it may…. it happens all the time that players are pushed out. Red shirt seniors.. especially.
They just don’t get an athletic scholarship… they can apply for other financial aid just like any other student.. but they will not be playing football.

Comment by Joe D 08.24.12 @ 8:01 pm

Problem solved Pitt2Cali

The mustard yellow seats at Heinz are the same color as Heinz yellow mustard, go figure. And that is the same mustard yellow from our great looking Uniforms of the Tony Dorsett – Dan Marino era and latest National Championship of 1976.

Just reintroduce those Uniforms with of course, Pitt script and have a big ceremony with all the former great players of that era, along with Johnny Majors & Jackie Sherrill, etc.

And the link connecting the present and Pitt’s great football past will be completed. Not to mention those yellow/gold/mustard seats will match our yellow/gold/mustard pants and helmet of our Uniforms.

HTP !

Comment by Emel 08.24.12 @ 8:03 pm

info for you a 50 percent chance 4 star RB
cory clement decommits from pitt.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.24.12 @ 8:09 pm

FWIW–5th year senior who are playing usually are pursuing graduate school that last season. In any event, if not playing they just need to be off athletic scholsrship by the start of the fall semester to not count vs the 85 limit. So, they have until the end of the summer to graduate and I believe most in that position do graduate by then. Worst case is a guy might need a course or two to finish up in the fall. That shouldn’t be much of a problem. After all, they would have been around for 4 years plus 4 summers and should have been able to complete their undergrad degrees by then.

Comment by pitt1972 08.24.12 @ 8:16 pm

FRANKCAN–heard he might take a few visits. I am not sure that translates to a “50% chance he decommits.” I suspect if Pitt has a strong season there won’t be any problem whatsoever.

Comment by pitt1972 08.24.12 @ 8:19 pm

Joe D i knew if you were not good enough and you were a fr or soph that they forced you to transfer and to me that wasnt to bad there was a lot of time to go some were else and play .

but i did not know that happend to SR.

and as far as the number 17 goes they say there are 83 on team now and 15 sr so that would mean if every thing stays the same we would only have 17 to give becuse that would total 85 right 15 and 2 would give 17 which gives the total of 85
i know there will be transfers but i was just trying to see how many we could give to day.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.24.12 @ 8:26 pm

@ emel

My personal preference on the shade of mustsard is the color it is fresh out of the bottle, not the dried up brown stuff crusted around the lid like the ’70’s unis… Not that I don’t like those… Just think brighter is better…

Comment by Pitt2Cali 08.24.12 @ 8:27 pm

pitt1972 thanks for the infoon RS senior i guess i knew that got to get my head on stright.
but was just shocked i knew we did that to fr and soph when they had time to play some were else
dont know why i never thought of sr even if rs but thanks.
the reason i said 50 percent chance he leaves that is what the post i read said if they look around there is a 50 percent chance they leave.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.24.12 @ 8:34 pm

I do like the Wanny approach with regard to scholarship offers. If you commit, you honor it. If you look around thinking the grass is greener, enjoy that grass. Pitt should not be the place kids go when other things don’t work out.

Any thoughts on how to handle verbals who start looking around and taking visits?

Comment by dhuffdaddy 08.24.12 @ 8:55 pm

dhuffdaddy i dont know no what you say to them
may be you bring outher RBin if you can in case he leaves may be you ask him what the hell is up
may be you ask him why he cant keep his word once
it is given.
may be you become a hard ass and say we want you
to stay but if you are leaveing go so we can get some one else.
i dont know what you say.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.24.12 @ 9:47 pm

Joe D,–Hermosa Beach and you were chasing skirt?! You should have been chasing bikinis!

Comment by opfim 08.24.12 @ 10:21 pm

You verbal, you don’t back out. If you begin looking, coach makes it clear when that scholie number is up, you are screwed. Why do kids commit and then still look? To me, that’s stupid. And as a coach, I wouldn’t want stupid kids on my team. I would tell that kid to make sure the door didn’t hit your ass on the way out. To me, its disrepctful. If someone I offered did that, they would lose that offer. That’s the business world. Applicants don’t get the right to fuck with me.

Comment by TX Panther 08.24.12 @ 10:27 pm

tx panther, i agree with you, but pitt cant affprd to do that. thats something michigan and texas do, but they can replace a clement with another clement. i dont know if pitt can. plus, clement has raved about pitt so it will take a lot to flip him i think

Comment by pk 08.24.12 @ 10:53 pm

@Pitt and Emel…There you go again talking sense! Why should Pitt play in a stadium with bright yellow seats and also expect to have that color in their uniforms? Don’t you know that SP did market research that shows our current color scheme was the most popular selling color scheme and that after we changed to those colors, our apparel sales went way up? Of course this analysis was done at a time following Pitt’s worst football in my lifetime (the early to mid 90s). You could have put real gold in our jerseys at the mall and nobody was going to buy them. Once our play began to improve so did our apparel sales. Heinz will never feel like home until Pitt has more of a connection with it beyond the carved steel gates and the always impressive white chalk “PITT” on the fifty yard line (for those of you that sit too high or too low in the stadium, that is what the white splotch in the middle of the field says!) Seriously, most of the time the field looks like just what it is…a generic, cheap imitation of a real college football field, inside of an otherwise spectacular venue. Of course the field is not up to SP. We need help from the Steelers. Dear Steelers, please put in a modern fake field so that both teams that play there can have full, real signage on the field. I’m sure the HS teams would also appreciate this for their playoffs. The atmosphere is fine at Heinz for big games, but it will never really feel like home until we make it look that way. I want the opposing team to come out on that field and know that they are playing on Pitt’s home field. Right now, I think they come in their all jacked up because the are playing on the Steelers field. I want to look around the stadium and see a lot of yellow….jerseys not seats. Bring back the royal blue and yellow, block or script, I don’t care. Put the Pitt back in Pitt football in more than name only! Or, we can go back to the “Pittsburgh” since that is what one of our end zones already says!

Comment by HbgFrank 08.24.12 @ 11:00 pm

coaching staff made me feel comfortable…facilities, the way the uniforms look, going to a..

Whoa! Whoa.. “the way the uniforms look…”

Do you really mean that unis draw recruits? Really? Really?

Umm… WOW. It’s true? This Jersey versus that Jersey thing might really persuade a commit or two in some fashion-manner or another?

Seriously, all I can say is Holy Sh*t Batman.

Comment by Neil 08.24.12 @ 11:13 pm

Every four years of my life are cool, it’s what you make it.

But if I were a kid that age again (with insane football skills), I’d definitely bypass the last few months of partying with HS chicks and dudes to go be a BMOC at Pitt AND get a head start on my football career.

You can always head back home to party with your boys and homegirls on a random long weekend if you feel the need, AND you’d be the man back home when you did.

Comment by Jimbo Covert's My Dad 08.24.12 @ 11:26 pm

Drugs are bad, mmmkay?
The context from which in the statement is afforded is somewhat clouded to me… One should hope it is not about the “look” of a uniform, ever.
Otherwise Nike et al. are genius I hadn’t guessed previously.
….
In Direct Reg to all comments similarly stating/
“Yeah, as a couple of people pointed out, Chapman was actually saying that while uniforms are important to other people, it was the coaches that matter most to him.”
Comment by EveryLoyalSon 08.24.12 @ 2:03 pm

Comment by Neil 08.24.12 @ 11:27 pm

So you should understand that this kid is getting two free trips out of this. He idolized LeShon McCoy and Michael Vick. Yes MICHAEL FREAKIN VICK sat him down and said he should go to Pitt. MICHAEL VICK!!! LE SHON MCCOY!!!! He’s not going to decommit.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 08.25.12 @ 1:54 am

I like the design of our current uniforms and Vegas Gold/Navy is fine by me. I’d like to see a Mustard Gold/royal blue/Script throwback for the right game, though.

Anyone who likes the procombat uniform has terrible taste and anyone who thinks senior year of HIGH SCHOOL was the most special, memorable time of their lives needs to get out more.

Comment by Kyle 08.25.12 @ 6:10 am

dhuff – we had more than one verbal take visits elsewhere and not have his scholarship offer pulled by Wannstedt. Mike Cruz is the first name that pops up but there are others. If you remember, Cruz was actually pretty critical of PITT when he started taking other visits and DW still wanted him to play here.

This happens all the time at PITT and while for marginal players it could mean an offer being pulled, any good and highly rated recruit is going to be kept on PITT’s scholarship list until he calls the staff and says he’s definitely going elsewhere. Even then the staff will stay on him until LOI Day.

I don’t want to sound like a jerk but saying that ‘PITT shouldn’t be the place to go when other things don’t work out’ is a romantic thought and just not the reality of the situation.

Our best player in the last few years, LeSean McCoy, had PITT as a fallback when things didn’t work out at other places. Our best FR player so far this season – J. P. Holtz – only came to be because of the PSU scandal.

Two of our (possible) starting DBs only came to PITT because the situation at Michigan was intolerable. Every transfer we get had PITT as a second choice when the situations changed elsewhere. They are ALL kids we whiffed on when we were first recruiting them.

As pk says above – PITT just isn’t that strong or well liked as a football program to be choosy about who we get to play here. That is just how it is now and truth be told for the last 30 years. Recruits are not beating the door down to play football at PITT. Really, when was the last time you heard any very good recruit say that PITT was their dream school? None, they all had to be seriously chased and convinced to come here. In all honesty, I even think Shell wouldn’t be at PITT if it weren’t for his twin daughters.

This is why we need at least a winning season with no off the field drama right now and for at least two years in a row. if not our recruiting is going to get worse and not better.

Comment by Reed 08.25.12 @ 7:39 am

I believe that was JoePa’s policy, not Wanny’s about commits taking visits elsewhere.

Comment by wbb 08.25.12 @ 8:20 am

When you are landing mostly 4 and 5 stars and your program recuits itself you can take that attitude; otherwise not.

Comment by pitt1972 08.25.12 @ 8:24 am

Clement is probably being told by other school’s recruiters that he will get buried on Pitt’s depth chart at RB, especially (as Reed noted on another site) if Shell were to get red-shirted. A strong season for Pitt with more than one RB getting significant plays and yardage will go a long way to relieve such concerns that are almost certainly being pushed by recruiters for other schools. Recruiting, like politics, is a sleezy business.

Comment by pitt1972 08.25.12 @ 8:29 am

Re: Clements…
Put your sales hat on… you keep selling…
you bite your tongue… the deal is not done until they sign on the bottom line… you smile and swallow your pride.
Clement is the Buyer…. Pitt is the Seller…
He can shop around even if he verbal. Do I like it… NO… but it is what it is… and I’m not big on Clement as he comes from a Group 1 school in a powderpuff league.

Now does Pitt keep looking… absolutely… if a better prospect comes along and you know will sign 100%… then perhaps you pull the ship from Clement… otherwise… keep selling!!

Comment by Joe D 08.25.12 @ 8:32 am

the only thing Pitt can do is have a good season.

This coaching staff is untested, the team plays in front of many empty seats, and this program has been in nothing but turmoil over the past year and a half.

I’ve been saying this for a while and will continue to shout it …. this program needs stability

Comment by wbb 08.25.12 @ 8:34 am

To re-iterate what wbb said, the kid said the two things he was concerned about, and happy about, were staying somewhat close to home and the coaching staff.

The facilities, the uniforms and playing time may be what some other kids look for!!

Comment by Dan 08.25.12 @ 9:01 am

Emel, I happen to like the Gold the best which I remember as a kid. I had no problem with rusty mustard of the early Major’s era, a lighter version of mustard, or the bright yellow when Godfried was here. If the Panters are winning, whatever version of blue and gold they are wearing will be ok with me. As long as they don’t resemble the Penn State whites. One more thing that Pederson needs to know, alumns, fans, and anyone who grew up within 150 miles the university like to use our trademark name “PITT” not Pittsburgh.

Comment by Justinian 08.25.12 @ 9:04 am

I’m clouded also!! I see that everyone realized that now. My fault.

Comment by Dan 08.25.12 @ 9:13 am

the good news with the clement situation is, even if he bolts, there are plenty of really good backs that were/are high on pitt. for instance, wvu commit zaire williams, florida back lorenzo woodley, kareem hunt, and if clement was out of the picture, david williams might have a renewed interest in pitt.

Comment by pk 08.25.12 @ 9:25 am

of course, clement might remain committed and all of this ranting is meaningless!

Comment by pk 08.25.12 @ 9:26 am

Reed, Amen you get the best players you can get! Whether they come because it’s a fall back, or they’re injured like Shady McCoy was and schools shy away from them. Remember Tony Dorsett wanted to go to Notre Dame, but Parsegian thought he was too small to play. Dorsett always played well against them.

Comment by Justinian 08.25.12 @ 9:32 am

@Justinin

The rusty mustard yellowish uni’s were from the 2nd Major’s era, I know we all try to forget those 3 years or so, but he toned down the yellow part of the Uni’s and the helmet as well.

I was trying to post a pic of Dorsett or Marino in the first version of the heinz mustard uni’s but the post wouldn’t post. We wore those from 1973 to 1993 I believe and then Majors came back the 2nd time and changed to the rusty yellowish/brown look.

Cause I know Alex Van Pelt wore the same uni’s as when I was at Pitt in the late 70’s, early 80’s.
As I was on the sidelines for some of the early 90’s games with Van Pelt as QB.

I agree I didn’t like the way they changed the yellow to the rusty brown/yellow look when Majors 2 era began.

It did look like the yellow crud at the rim of the mustard jar, Pitt2Cali made a good analogy there.
He just had the years mixed up. Those were from the Majors 2 era (1993-1996)

Bring back the 1973-1983 circa uniform, when we had our best years since the 1930’s.
And that yellow is close to the Heinz seat yellow.
Or if it isn’t just make the pants that color yellow and the helmets. Script of course too !

Comment by Emel 08.25.12 @ 9:50 am

Frankly, I see a trend…
Players will verbally commit but keep looking.

I’ve never seen this many players commit by July 1 across the US.
Teams only have so many slots open for certain positions… once they are filled, they start pulling ships or advise players to look elsewhere as they met their quota.
Players know this… so the verbally commit securing a slot… keep others away (ie. Zaire Williams)… but keep looking.
It’s only going to get worse.

Comment by Joe D 08.25.12 @ 9:53 am

remember, when Dorsett came out, I believe Pitt just completed 4 straigt 1-9 seasons … or at least tthey were in the recent past.

Dorsett was 1 of 80 people put on scholarship in 1973 by Majors in his first year — many of them from western PA. Because of that, NCA start limiting the number of schollies.

When you bring in 80, you’re bound to find a large handful of good players … and it certainly didn’t hurt that western PA was as fertile as any recuting area back then … times have changed!

Comment by wbb 08.25.12 @ 10:04 am

They also brought in kids from Eastern Ohio and from Florida back then.

Comment by pitt1972 08.25.12 @ 11:36 am

RE: Corey Clement situation. Someone in another Pitt internet site’s Clement thread mentions that Clement’s planning other visits (to be accurate he only has said Nebraska for sure and “maybe” ND and Wisconsin) is not a new development as most of us (including Dokish) appear to have assumed. Rather, thisw is no more than his publicly announced plan (stated by he and his HS coach) ever since the day he committed to Pitt.

Bottom line: One can either view it as Clement never being fully committed to begin with (glass half empty view) or that he is just as committed as he ever was and is just following through to make certain he has really made the correct decision(glass half-full view).

In either case, there appears to not be any brand new case of “cold feet.”

Comment by pitt1972 08.25.12 @ 12:02 pm