February 17, 2012

Backcourt Blahs

Filed under: Basketball — Chas @ 11:10 am

That game got away from Pitt in the second half. One missed basket at at time. The 17 turnovers were painful and led to 23 points. More than anything else, though, missing shot after shot was the water torture death of this game.

Pitt was down only 1 at the half. Very much a tight game, despite the turnovers. Despite Gibbs and Woodall shooting only 5-15 (12 points). The rest of the team was scoring really efficiently when given the opportunity — 5-7 for 13 points.

Unfortunately the second half had the entire team getting in on the brick-laying. Gibbs and Woodall led by managing to top their first half by going 2-12 (0-9 in the game on 3s). The rest of the team, 5-12.

As we have seen all season with this team — regardless of whether Woodall is playing or not — if the offense goes, the defense quickly follows.

Not really sure there is much to say at this point. There is an overwhelming sense of frustration with this team. They aren’t by any stretch a great team, but they shouldn’t be this bad.

I hate seeing the careers of Gibbs and Robinson end like this. Gibbs struggling and appearing petulant. Robinson out there battling as always, but hobbling more and trying to do far more than he should. I want to remember the sweet stroke of Gibbs. Automatic from anywhere when coming off a screen. Nailing that halfcourt three to steal the victory from Providence at the buzzer.

Seeing Nas shred the Syracuse zone, game after game. Leading Pitt back against Louisville and just being the biggest player inside despite being the shortest.

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic about next year and beyond. Plenty of reasons to simply chalk this up as one of those lost seasons that happen to the best, worst and mediocre programs.

It changes very little about having to get through this season.

While that game was hard to watch, I’d like to see Malcolm Gilbert get more playing time…the kid may not have much offensive game right now, but he played some solid minutes on the defensive end. He works hard if nothing else and is an intimidating body inside, unlike Taylor or Zanna.

Comment by CJK 02.17.12 @ 11:19 am

i actually stopped watching at the 8 minute mark of the 2nd half. can’t remember the last time I was that disgusted watching pitt football or hoops. this hoops season has as painful as watching sunseri last fall. being subjected to watching the same players make the same mistakes game after game after game. lazy passes. no communication or help on defense. no pride in putting forth the effort to keep your guy in front of you. no mental toughness. i’m out. call me when spring practice starts.

Comment by scott 02.17.12 @ 11:25 am

Want bothered me the most about last night’s game was how many points West Virginia got from Pitt’s lazy passes. They stepped out and stole passes that let to uncontested lay-ups. I counted 11 points including an old fashioned 3 point play. To top that off, when Pitt’s big men made good plays they repeatedly threw the ball away on long passes. Bob Knight summed it up well in 2nd half “Make sure you pass to the guys in right colored shirts.” That’s something the Panthers seemed to have missed last night. At one point in the 2nd half Knight commented, “I haven’t seen a good Pitt possession yet this half.”

Comment by Justinian 02.17.12 @ 11:25 am

CJK, I also thought Malcolm Gilbert played pretty well. He seemed to gives Pitt a big strong body inside and he looked good. Unfortunately after making some very good plays, he threw the ball away on a couple of long passes.

Comment by Justinian 02.17.12 @ 11:44 am

This is what i think of BB this year when is
paul chryst going to hire a RB coach.
and when is JR day outhe schools have had theres or they are comeing up we have no date and when is he going to start recruting ohio state is eating his lunch he needs to get his ass moveing.
were is the RB coach this coach is a turtle.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.17.12 @ 11:56 am

Gilbert is a strong, physical presence that can provide some defense (although not mobile yet). However, his only offense would be from putbacks right now.

With the lack of proficiency from our guards, would it hurt to feed the low post and see if Zanna or Taylot can at least draw a foul or two? It certainly couldn’t hurt

Comment by wbb 02.17.12 @ 11:56 am

Teams are ignoring the guys playing 4 and 5. They’re just not realistic threats. So they focus on Woodall and Gibbs and so far, that’s shut the offense down. Gibbs, though, had a lot of open looks for 2′s and 3′s and missed them — shots we’re accustomed to his making.

So much wrong, the games tapes can be used as instructional materials for how not to play. And Pitt has been making the lazy passes all year, allowing the middle to be wide open for drives, settling for quick 3 pt attempts all year, on and on – this group just hasn’t grown as a team over the season.

Comment by velvil 02.17.12 @ 12:05 pm

FRANKCAN – I hear Pitt’s new RB coach will be announced shortly. I believe he’s inside the ‘O’ right now getting a dog and fries. Zeise will break the story tomorrow.

Comment by TX Panther 02.17.12 @ 12:10 pm

I’m not trying to be a pessimist here. I would love to hear some of your thoughts on how there optimism for next year? This team had 2 strong seniors coming back. Next year we lose Gibbs and Naz. Woodall will be great to have back healthy. We add a big man, but what am I missing? Patterson, Moore, Johnson, Zanna, Taylor, Wright, Gilbert…all very inconsistent this year. Is the light going to automatically switch on next year? I want to believe that Pitt will be back to the top, but I can’t see it happening after this debacle.

Comment by Silverfox 02.17.12 @ 12:13 pm

I think that this year is an anomaly…bad brakes, bad chemistry, low bench experience, and an inability to score in the paint doomed this team. Next year we will see the dividends of playing Wright, Johnson, and Zanna through this season…They will play smarter and with more confidence. New players coming in also appear to offer some immediate help with scoring. I think the future is bright for this team.

Comment by HbgFrank 02.17.12 @ 12:41 pm

dog and fries sound good i will go to lunch

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.17.12 @ 12:42 pm

Thanks HbgFrank. Sometimes, after a bad loss, I lose the ability to look ahead. Especially after sitting in the Pete last night listening to all the WVU chants with absolutely nothing I could do. I sure hope the players use that as motivation.

Comment by Silverfox 02.17.12 @ 12:48 pm

Today hurts.

I had that feeling this AM when you open your eyes and remember what happened the night before…and you rather not remember..

Comment by Yup 02.17.12 @ 12:51 pm

Things that could/will help next year:
1. Addition by subtraction of Gibbs, Nas (attitude/selfishness with Gibbs, ability with Nas)
2. Adams — skill at the 5 spot to score, finish.
3. Robinson — athleticism, defense, leadership at the PG spot. Bumps Tray over to 2. He is just not a PG.
4. JuCo PF transfer.
5. Improvement from at least two of following: Moore, Johnson, Taylor (yeah right)

How likely are any of these? Not sure, but I think a few are realistic.

Comment by JW 02.17.12 @ 12:57 pm

As long as Jamie can find a reliable shooter next year I like the team.

With Steven Adams and Malcolm Gilbert playing center next year, Dante Taylor and Talib Zanna can play the four. I was actually encouraged in the Seton Hall game because Taylor knocked down a couple of 10-12 footers. Zanna has already shown an ability facing the basket. God love him, Nas couldn’t do that to save his life.

I can see Lamar Patterson and JJ Moore splitting time at the 3. Hopefully Patterson can improve his ball handling and JJ Moore can develop a consistent shot and improve his ballhandling. We should also see Durand Johnson here next year.

Tray Woodall returns at the point. Prior to these last three games his shot had improved greatly this year. His free throw shooting remains a major improvement. He needs to take consistently good care of the ball. James Robinson will arrive with a reputation for taking care of the ball and playing defense. I can see John Johnson here as well but he needs to show he can be a facilitator and run a break.

The two is the wild card. If Patterson and Moore can improve their handle they could also play this spot. I like John Johnson, but he is small for this position and presents some defensive problems. If Cam Wright was a better shooter and ballhandler he would be a good fit.

I’m already excited for next year.

It’s a shame to see Gibbs and Nas go out like this. On the other hand this was their team in the Dixon tradition. They had some very bad moments too this year.

Comment by Barvo 02.17.12 @ 1:11 pm

When you have a Guard oriented team, and that’s what we have folks, if the Guards don’t shoot or play well, you get blown out. Also these 2 guards, as they have been all year, are very loose and sloppy with the ball. Physically they are kind of weak, while Woody is a tough little kid, he gets bumped around a lot.

We saw that at USF, Seton Hall (to a lesser extent because for 3/4′s of the game Gibbs was on fire) and now WVU. That’s also the problem when you have two roughly 6’0″ starting guards, one of which can’t create his own shot and the other one sometimes gets into trouble thinking he can all the time (woody).

Problem is, we’re looking at the same problem next year if Woody & Johnson are the starters. Which is why it’s IMPERATIVE that Coach lands a bigtime player, shooter, scorer for the 2G, someone like that Torian Graham, if not him. Even if Robinson can get a lot of PT at PG, that only slides Woody over to 2G, same problem, except now you got a 5’11″ 2G who will get posted bigtime. With either Johnson or Woody at 2G, almost guarantees you have to play zone, so they don’t get posted. No, Dixon really needs to bring in a Torian Graham or someone like him.

And as I’ve posted before, we need to bring in 5 new players, not 3. This team needs a massive infusion of talent. I’d give Epps & Wright their walking papers. With Robinson coming in, Epps should be able to see the handwriting on the wall and should want to transfer. Same with Wright, if a Torian Graham type of player or two is signed.

Let’s get hoping on the recruiting trail to really bring in a stellar class. Because if you noticed the ACC’s other teams are getting better again (you did know that was going to happen again, right).
Florida State is tied for 1rst in the conf, and Va Tech and NC State are getting better as well, as is ranked UVA. And Maryland, BC & GT, as well as WF have all had good teams and programs in the past. So let’s go get some players that can play uptempo.

Comment by Emel 02.17.12 @ 1:50 pm

I feel for Nas, you can see how much effort he gives, but he just doesn’t have the ability or health to really be more than a supporting player. Unfortunately, this team needed more from him than he was capable of providing on a nightly basis. He will still go down as one of my favorites from this era. The kid gave you everything he had, and that’s what I’ll remember him for.

Comment by Pitt Rob 02.17.12 @ 1:51 pm

Not much to say about the bball team. However, Rivals is showing that some FBall recruits were there. They have an article regarding Scott Orndorff on Campus yesterday, as well as a slideshow of others. But, you need to be an Insider to see who… but, they do show Robert Foster. Why no updates?

Comment by Sean 02.17.12 @ 2:01 pm

I just never saw this coming at all. A 1-seed last year to “this”? Words I never thought I’d utter: “Wow, do I miss seeing Gary McGee in a Pitt uniform…”.

Unless Pitt wins the BE Tourney in MSG, last nite was finally, the last nail in the coffin for March Madness. Zero-point-zero chance with 10 conf losses (= losing record).

Now we gotta hope and pray for at least a .500 or better overall record, so the NIT or CBI will take us.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 02.17.12 @ 2:05 pm

I’ve pretty much stopped watching this team all together. Its just too painful like watching playground basketball without the excitement.

I think its safe to say we won’t have to worry about the Jaime Dixon job offers this off season.

I have never seen a team miss so many easy shots and throw the ball to the other team so often.. Just incredible that they fell this far this fast. Absolutely no emotion out there just blank stares. Its a good thing JD has a bunch of good will built up because this is getting real ugly real fast.

Comment by Coach Ditka 02.17.12 @ 2:06 pm

You can not understate the importance of getting impact players. During the game last nite, Bobby Knight mentioned that Kevin Jones, was down to PITT & Wvcc in his college choices. Being as he was from Mt. Vernon, NY, how in the heck did we lose out on him.
Pitt’s 2nd all-time leading scorer, Clyde Vaughn was from Mt. Vernon, NY, as were several other Panthers.

Can you imagine how much better this team would be with Kevin Jones on it. I can !

Comment by Emel 02.17.12 @ 2:11 pm

Emel, I agreed with your earlier post and I also thought the same thing of Kevin Jones and my only thought was grades. He is what Dixon wants at a 4.

For those of you clamoring for Gilbert to play more just stop. The kid isn’t close to being ready. I think you want him on the floor out of your distaste for Taylor. Gilbert is at least 2 years away and wouldn’t even be playing if it weren’t for a transfer.

I have never seen a team throw more passes right to the other team as we do. Our players are not open and yet they still pass it and it just leads to easy layups at the other end. This team has been troubled all year by stupid turnovers and it keeps happening. How about taking your time and making the right read. If it wasn’t for out of bounds plays we wouldn’t score

Comment by bdubb 02.17.12 @ 2:26 pm

@Emel– Jones was a big miss, how about Thomas Robinson too … oh what might have been.

Comment by JW 02.17.12 @ 2:27 pm

and coach dixon knows they are “impact players” exactly how? Rating services giving stars? Other big time programs recruiting? McDonald’s All Americans? Preseason Big East POY? We’ve got all of that on this team. And two more top 100 players next year (Adams a top 10). Sometimes it works, some times it doesn’t. Correct, Jay Wright?

Comment by velvil 02.17.12 @ 2:30 pm

Before we say we lost out on Kevin Jones or anyone else to WVU keep in mind Pitt’s admission’s standards are higher that many schools and not all NCAA qualifiers are admitted. That will always be a factor for why some players go elsewhere. Not saying this is the case for Jones but it is for many like it may have for the LB from Johnstown whose offer was pulled. Or perhaps they heard about the work it takes to graduate from Pitt and may have gone elsewhere.

Comment by giveitarest 02.17.12 @ 2:45 pm

bdubb, As Bob Knight said try to throw to the guys in right colored shirts.

I’m actually looking forward to football.

Comment by Justinian 02.17.12 @ 3:00 pm

As Woody Allen said in Bananas, “it’s a travesty of a mockery of a sham.”

Comment by Scott 78 02.17.12 @ 3:13 pm

Next year, my best guess:

Adams or Gilbert will start at center. It will depend on how quickly Adams adapts to Pitt’s system. Either way it will represent a big improvement on defense and no worse on offense.

Zanna will most likely start at power forward. He played there last year when Robinson was hurt. He is improving game by game. He has the quickness to guard most power forwards. He has the skills to play the four. He can knock down a 15 foot jumper. His size alone will represent a big improvement over what we’ve gotten from Nas on defense. He will be a great rebounder with Adams and Gilbert drawing a lot of attention.

Patterson and Moore will probably both start at the wing spots. Patterson is good facilitator. Moore has made slow progress all year, I expect the light bulb might go on for him next year. Both will be an upgrade over this year. But they must attack the rim like Brown and Wanamaker did.

Woodall will start at the point. If he stays healthy he will be good with this lineup.

Wright will be in the mix for a starting spot over Moore. He will need to improve his shot and decision making. John Johnson will come off the bench to provide an instant spark for the offense. I agree with those who say you can’t start BOTH Woodall and Johnson, too small.

Durand Johnson will be a factor purely because he can shoot the rock.

They can play small with Moore/Patterson playing the four, as long as Gilbert and Adams are the real deal in the paint.

Robinson should get back up minutes at the point.

Epps and Taylor could be the odd men out. If Robinson and Adams don’t make them obsolete, then we have bigger problems, ie another recruiting class miss or a stubborn coach who refuses to let talent trump tenure.

All in all, next year’s team will be very different. They will be better defensively. They will be bigger and more athletic. Shooting will be a concern.

We’ll see if they’re better. I am optimistic that they will be.

Comment by boubacar aw 02.17.12 @ 3:15 pm

My 3 cents….

This is NOT a criticism of Jamie but,regarding those turnovers on the perimeter leading to runouts,….this has been happening since Levance Fields was our PG….just not as often or as many. When you run the same 1-4 offense and the same screen pattern and set plays from that offense, your opposition knows pretty much every cut,screen and every pass out of it.

Bobby Knight said something very interesting re: attacking a zone, that I used to teach. Dribble one way and pass another. Never pass the same direction you are dribbling. The same holds true for running the 1-4. Cutters, passers and screeners have to be in sync but so is the opposition. While so many of the passes (for run outs) have been lazy, so have they been telegraphed…and dribbled and passed in the same direction. You never want to look directly at the person you are passing to coming off of a screen, especially a high screen. Pitt, especially Gibbs does it with such regularity that he might as well just walk over and hand the player the ball.

I know Jamie only teaches this one way, but I wish he would put in a secondary offense against “man” defense or a new one altogether. Duke and Maryland run a great”flex” offense which is just as effective. I am sure that coach Dixon much like Lombardi with his power sweep, would say, if they run it right, no one can beat it…but this has been 8 years of the same 1-4.

Comment by Dan 72 02.17.12 @ 3:15 pm

I recall recruitment of Jones – his brother told him that Huggins gave him a better chance to make the NBA – that is why he picked WVU – obvioulsy brother was wrong he is not an NBA player now or most likely ever – but a great college player.

Comment by steve 02.17.12 @ 3:27 pm

I still blame Tino Sunseri for everything

Comment by Timmeh 02.17.12 @ 3:36 pm

I think Kevin Jones will cash an NBA paycheck. He is certainly closer than anyone on this or last year’s pitt team.

Comment by boubacar aw 02.17.12 @ 3:40 pm

Rough season but by no means will I stop supporting the Panthers. Pitt has had a tremendous run and I wont let one bad season discredit the past decade.

I’m not aggrevated so much at the physical mistakes (although a counter to that point could be made regarding Dixon’s recruiting, or lack thereof, of a few players). For example, Moore’s struggles from 3 until the WVU game. It happens in all sports and physical mistakes are part of the game.

What I am having a tough time understanding is this team’s mental mistakes. How many times can you throw a lazy pass around midcourt with little pressure being applied and have it turn into a layup on the other end? How many times can you fail to rotate on defense? I just don’t understand the mental mistakes at all. Do these players just have low basketball IQ’s? Maybe it’s as simple as that.

Comment by JAM 05 Pitt 02.17.12 @ 4:04 pm

Roc Bottom

Comment by DeVanzo 02.17.12 @ 5:57 pm

Timmeh you are so right it is his fult

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.17.12 @ 7:59 pm

info for you are old coach keith patterson has left AS and is going to WVU he could be trouble in recruting for us.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.17.12 @ 8:10 pm

Oh I forgot Pitt is a basketball school. Forget about football, playing at Heinz Field, no stadium. Forget about Fraud Graham, basketball season is just around the corner. Yeah, sure thing Pitt is a basketball school. Can’t even beat the stinkin hoopies.

Comment by IH8PITT 02.17.12 @ 8:17 pm

What happened to the CB recruit that was in last week-end. I think his name was Sandifer or something like that. I have heard nothing since his visit.

Comment by JP 02.17.12 @ 8:34 pm

For #$%@ sake, this is about the 9th straight year we’ve had a turnover machine, shoot first chucker for a point guard!? Are you kidding me with this — from Carl Krauser to Levance Fields to Tre Woodall now. Enough! Yeah, every once in a while they dish well and make a big shot, but look at the shooting percentages and assist to turnover ratios, not to mention not hitting the real shooters in stride when they need the ball. Just think how much better Pitt could have been this past decade if not for such selfish, sloppy, and stupid point guard play. Bring back Brandon Knight types who know how to play and are not glory hounds…and maybe somebody bigger than 5’10″ too would be nice? Sheesh.

Comment by Matt N. 02.17.12 @ 8:43 pm

I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure Fields had a really great A/TO ratio.

Comment by Pitt Rob 02.17.12 @ 8:53 pm

Fields A/TO

2008/9 – 7.5/2.0
2007/8 – 5.3/1.8
2006/7 – 4.6/1.9
2005/6 – 2.2/1.1

Comment by Pitt Dad 02.17.12 @ 8:57 pm

sorry – those are his per game averages for each season

Comment by Pitt Dad 02.17.12 @ 8:58 pm

sandifer is still looking around i think dont see that he has signed any were. are old coach is going to WVU no one cares ok i thought you would jump on that.
and as i said before were is are RB coach i dont care who he is my point is are new coach seams to be really slow at doeing things.

when is JR day is this coach a turtle ohio state is eating his lunch

Scott Orndoff the great TE said i have no offer
from pitt they have not offered me i like what i see at pitt but i have no offer
i say who is in charge of this cluster fuck for
god sake some one wake up and offer the kid.

were is the RB coach you need to ask the same thing.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.17.12 @ 9:04 pm

Anyone have any tickets they want to sell to the South Florida game. I have some 3 nephews coming into town that would like to see the game. Ping me @mcmanus.tom@gmail.com or @mcmanustom on twitter. Thanks!!

Comment by Tom Mc in Sql Hill 02.17.12 @ 9:17 pm

FRANKCAN
I totally agree. I have seen nothing to suggest that this crew can recruit. It seems like a love fest because everyone was so put out by the Graham thing. If he was still here his BS would have landed a top 25 class.

Pitt is not an easy sell especially competeing against the Big 10 powers. I am afraid that although we may get one or two top recruits the rest will be Big 10 second tier type guys that wont be good enough to compete against the top ACC schools (FSU, Miami, Clemson, Va Tech).

Comment by JP 02.17.12 @ 9:20 pm

giveitareast:
You are using Boston College’s defense whenever they under perform or their coach seems to be out to lunch all season long.

Comment by Tonyinhouston 02.17.12 @ 9:40 pm

JPthat is my point every one seams to be saying he is our coach every thing is ok that is bull shit till he proves outher wise.
this man is a turtle ohio st had 50 kids in for JR day we have not had a JR day.
he cant even get off his ass and hire a RB coach
that TE just went all over pitt and liked what he saw but has no offer from us he has one from ND he has one from wisconsin he is on his way to penn state he has one from them but not from us

what are the coachs doeing siting some were haveing a cold one get off your ass and offer the kid when you have a rep as a bad recruter you need to work harder than every one else and i dont see it.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.17.12 @ 9:47 pm

pk you out there

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.17.12 @ 9:57 pm

Matt N, I’m almost hoping you were being sarcastic, but you post made me curious, so I did a little research on the PGs since Brandin. Here are the Assist/TO ratios for PG since 01=02:

01-02 BK – 2.2
02-03 BK – 2.1
03-04 CK – 1.5
04-05 CK – 1.7
05-06 CK/LF – 1.7
06-07 LF – 2.4
07-08 LF/RR – 2.8
08-09 LF – 3.8
09-10 TW/BW – 1.7 (offense ran through BW most of the time)
10-11 TW/BW – 2.3
11-12 TW – 1.8/AG – 1.3

Obviously, you would like to have a 2/1 ratio, but I would say our PGs have been pretty solid since BK. Levance’s stats are really outstanding, which was my recollection and the reason for my research, but I wanted to confirm before posting.

Tray has had his issues, but even with his injuries this season, he is at 1.8. Really not too bad, especially considering the number of layups that have been missed. I recall several games thinking that he would have had 3-4 more assists if our bigs could just finish once in a while.

Krauser was really the only one I would call a shoot first PG, but he was also a better shooter than the others. Tray is shooting more than expected likely because no one else on this team seems to want to take shots.

This is also more evidence for why Ashton shouldn’t have been playing PG during Tray’s absence. He truly seems to have no ability to get shots for his teammates, with a low A/TO ratio throughout his career.

While I still believe in Jamie’s coaching, I question the decision to not use Epps more, or really anyone else, to spell Tray. Ashton just couldn’t get the job done and it also negatively affected his shooting, which has continued for the most part even after returning to SG.

It’s a lost season and as Chas stated in his original post, it is sad that both Ashton and Nasir will likely not be remembered as much for all of the great things they did, but more for the failure of their senior seasons. This will be the first senior day I can recall where I honestly won’t feel any emotion, except (and I hate to say this), happiness that they are moving on. Never would have thought that would be a possibility before the season started.

Comment by Gopitt33 02.17.12 @ 10:53 pm

Pk, FRANKCAN any word on additional FB recruits? I read that we were 4th in the number of recruits this year and virtually no O-linemen. WTF, no linemen. Is there any hope of picking up some undecided linemen, how many scholarships do we have left, any walk on prospects. I remember when WVU was a joke as a FB match up as well Va Tech. Now we are the joke. Somebody tell me how do they turn this thing around?

Comment by IH8PITT 02.18.12 @ 7:41 am

Frank, i know scott orndoff. I go to school with him and we talk every day. He assumes he has an offer. Hes going to take visits everywhere just to see the colleges. Hes going to visit michigan, boston college, virginia etc. he REALLY likes pitt.

Ih8pitt, i assume youre talking about 2012 and in that class theres really only anothony standifer. Hes deciding soon. For 2013 robert foster and scott orndoff visited pitt on thursday and qb malik zaire is visiting monday-this visit MUST go well for a number of reasons. The biggest is that he already LOVES paul chryst and joe rudolph so if he also loves the campus and city, pitts chances raise immensely.

Frank, if you look on rivals, wisconsin has even less scholarships out than pitt, so this staff is definitely following the same strategy that they had at wisconsin. I know that this is a different area, but hes being very methodical about recruiting. I cant force you to give him time but it makes no sense to flip about recruiting when theres still a year to signing day. As for the coach, i agree he needs to hurry up.

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 8:43 am

I think all things considered that Chryst & Company did fine in recruiting. Yes, it’s a small class, but it has some really good ball players. They will have a full year to recruit this time around and Pennsylvania is by many accounts loaded. Why would use up scholarships this year on players that can’t help you? Next year I fully expect Pitt to have a much larger class. Given the track record of Paul Chryst and Bob Bostad I don’t expect that they will have forgotten everything they know.

Comment by Justinian 02.18.12 @ 8:45 am

Ih8pitt. Another reason to make the best impression on zaire is: he and robert foster are great friends and zaire has said he wants to go to the same school as foster, so if pitt could somehow get a commitment out of zaire, foster could follow vice versa. Dont expect a commitment from zaire, to wherever, until summer. Zaires the kind of player that is also a recruiter, so only good things will come from his commitment.

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 8:47 am

I find the journey of Keith Patterson to be curious. You may remember that he was Fraud’s college roommate who stayed to coach the bowl game, then didn’t follow Fraud to Arizona St but went to Arkansas St instead. Now, about a month later, he leaves for a WVU defensive position.

Don’t know this for a fact but apparently, not only was WVU able to lure Patterson who IMO did the best job of any Pitt FB coach this past season, they were also able to lure the Giants’ defensive assistant who was pegged to join Pitt as the DL coach. Instead we got a a guy who was demoted after 1 season at UCLA.

Last Dec 2010, after our AD fired Wanny, his first contact was Holgerson who he found out was already all but signed, sealed and delivered by WVU. He (Pederson) also found out that his salary offering wasn’t competitive and ad to settle for a long shot (Haywood) who was considered a long shot at best.

I’m wondering if the hiring of the new staff also has something to do with not being competitive salary wise. You may remmeber that just 2 years ago, the Pitt FB coaching staff was the lowest in the BE, and the recuiting budget was slashed a year or two before that.

Maybe Nordy has to realize that if you want Pitt playing with the big boys, he has to start paying with the big boys.

Comment by wbb 02.18.12 @ 9:20 am

That would be very dis-heartening if Nordy is nickel and diming Chryst, and by extension the football program.

When hired, the coach should be able to bring in who he wants to be part of his staff.

Didn’t think much of it before, and still not going off the ledge, but, spring ball is not that far away.

Comment by Dan 02.18.12 @ 10:07 am

************GET READY T0 VOMIT********************

Fox Sports Tampa reporting, Greg Schiano, the new head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers is hiring

****BOB BOSTAD****

from Pitt, to be their new Offensive Coord.

If this is true, Chas, I’m about done. I can’t take this crap anymore. Sickening!!!

I know it’s been going on for years, but this total lack of loyalty, total lack of honoring a contract has just about tipped me over the edge!!!

There is only so much you can take!!!!!

“oh, well, they have oppurtunities”, ya, we all have oppurtunities. Just because they are there doesn’t mean you have to go.

I’ve had oppurtunities, but I’ve been with the same company for 25 years. The guy helped me years ago, he’s been good to me, I got to stay local.

Are these people just commone whores from the red light district??? Really, no better than a common whore???

How about stickin’ around somewhere for 4 or 5 years. Guess what, you’ll have oppurtunities again!!!

“well, you know, this profession lends itself to this”. B.S. B.S. B.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw this, screw this whole damn thing!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 02.18.12 @ 10:58 am

Interesting. The opening line of Bostad’s Wikipedia page has already been changed to reflect his position with Tampa Bay but the “Coaching Career” paragraph hasn’t been updated yet.

Comment by Pitt Dad 02.18.12 @ 11:09 am

I agree dan. This fricken sucks. Everything that can possibly go wrong for pitt, does go wrong. Its so disheartening not only because hes a great coach and recruiter, but it seems like this happens to only pitt seemingly. Im so sick and fricken tired of all of this. If true, pitt needs to pony up some serious cash, im talking SERIOUS cash and grab an elite level oc/recruiter. The sad part is, we all know that wont happen.

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 11:11 am

His Facebook page hasn’t been updated yet

Comment by Pitt Dad 02.18.12 @ 11:11 am

I think Chryst already has a pretty good staff in place with, Bob Bostad, Dave Huxtable and Joe Rudloph in the top spots. He also has Chris Hearing and Bobby Engram, which should help him locally in Pennsylvania. As far as getting a running backs’ coach, he can afford to take his time and get someone who he thinks will do a good job for him. An energetic young coach who the recruits can relate to, would be ideal. The X&Os
really are done by the coordinators. So guys who know and can teach the fundamentals and who can recruit are what you want.

Comment by Justinian 02.18.12 @ 11:12 am

Pitt dad, having wiki updated means nothing. Before pc was hired mark stoops’ wiki page said pitt hc

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 11:15 am

For what it’s worth, the only Bostad-to-Tampa report to this point has been the tweet and subsequent post from Alex Marvez of FoxSports.com. He’s probably more credible than the guy who was posting anonymous sources for the Bostad-to-Chicago stuff, but there’s still been nothing from Adam Schefter or any of other other NFL media types that typically follow up quickly to confirm these reports.

Marvez’s initial tweet about this has been out there for nearly two hours now.

So nothing from any other media on this. Nothing from Pitt. Nothing from the Bucs. Nothing from other NFL media types.

Not much we can do but sit back and wait.

Comment by Stoosh 02.18.12 @ 11:17 am

Hopefully it’s a false report.

Comment by Justinian 02.18.12 @ 11:18 am

We can only hope

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 11:22 am

Sometimes as a Pitt fan, I feel like all we ever do is hope – for next football/basketball season, good recruits, loyal coaches – always hoping…,
When we will actually have those hopes become reality?

Comment by Harry 02.18.12 @ 11:28 am

Not trying to minimize the reports about Bostad and if they’re true, I’ll obviously be as disappointed and as frustrated as the next Pitt fan.

But this stuff does happen everywhere else – look at what just happened at Rutgers as an example, and that happened just before Signing Day. Look at what’s going on at Maryland.

This kind of stuff has been happening for some time, so this doesn’t seem to be some sort of phenomenon exclusive only to Pitt. I don’t know of some sort of site out there that tracks this stuff, but given the amount of turnover at the head coaching ranks that happens, I’d be willing to bet that assistants come and go just as often, only with much less fanfare.

From the head coaching ranks all the way down, the contracts these guys sign don’t seem to be worth the paper they’re printed on when it comes to “out clauses”, so the next administration to put their foot down in this modern era and force a coach to stick around and honor his contract will probably be the first one.

Comment by Stoosh 02.18.12 @ 11:30 am

Harry, it seems like they will never happen but all pitt fans have is hope. Hope is the only reason pitt sells a football ticket.

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 11:30 am

Hey lets be positive. PITT still has a head coach!!! PC probably knew Bostad had NFL interest prior to his hiring. Lets hope PC has a Plan B if Bostad does leave. Also positive is PITT won their 3rd consecutive EWL wrestling title over a good Edinboro squad last night 26-10. Hail to PITT

Comment by DC33 02.18.12 @ 11:31 am

Boeheim, Calhoun, and Williams have all missed the Tournament one year, to bounce back in good form the next. It happens.

And I think- all those teams made runs in the NIT, to keep them fresh, for the next years.
Consolation prize to be sure, but a consolation prize none the less.

Comment by Rieur1114 02.18.12 @ 11:39 am

It was also on the Fan. he is gone!! And Dan you are right college football is all BS,BS,BS…… But it looks like our coach has no BS. I am also about done. Other programs seem to rise above but Pitt seems to pummel to the bottom. Everyone seems to say give this guy time but I have seen nothing to convince me. Oh OK he kept some of the stars in the recruiting class who were coming to Pitt regardless and he got Holtz who would have come if Graham was the coach. He had a cb in for a visit last week-end but did not close the deal when he was here. I guarantee if Graham was the coach that kid would not have gotton out of town without signing. You need to be agressive and a BS artist to suceed in college football these days and I cuirrently don’t see it.

Comment by JP 02.18.12 @ 11:40 am

Jp, holtz didnt like graham. And im not sure what cb your talking about.

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 11:43 am

just wonder if Chryst realized that Bostad time at Pitt would be limited by hiring Hueber as TE coach. Regardless, Rutgers in one form lr another, has done a number on us since Wanny was fired … asst coaches, recruits, destoyed us in FB and BB the last 2 meetings, etc

Comment by wbb 02.18.12 @ 11:43 am

Wasn’t it Jerry Jones who flew Bostad down to Dallas a year or so ago and tried to hire him? He didn’t take the job. So until it’s done and we hear in the Pittsburgh news chanels, it’s just a rumor. I hope he stays, but if you have good people, someone will always want to hire them. Regradless we still have Chryst and Rudolph and that in itself is a big upgrade over “High Octane” Todd Graham.

Comment by Justinian 02.18.12 @ 11:48 am

Standifer is visiitng Vanderbilt this weekend which had been scheduled for a long time .. we will probably find out about his comittment in the next few days.

I am not very happy at this moment at all

Comment by wbb 02.18.12 @ 11:48 am

The cb was Sandifer who is still looking. i think he is from Ill.

Comment by JP 02.18.12 @ 11:49 am

Not many things have gone right since Pederson decieded that Wannstedt wasn’t the guy to get us to the next level. I guess we should be careful what we wish for. We ended up getting Heywood and then Graham. Even if it takes Paul Chryst some time to get things back on track, I think he’s a good hire.

Comment by Justinian 02.18.12 @ 11:53 am

Someone go get FRANKCAN off the ledge!!!!!!!!!!!

I would suspect he doesn’t know yet though, because before he went to the ledge, I’m sure he would have ventted on here first!!!!

Frank, we were worried about a RB coach, how about an OC????

Frank, I’m tired!!!

Comment by Dan 02.18.12 @ 12:24 pm

It is documented on the archives of this very site that I had issues with Wanny’s firing because he at least provided competitiveness and more importantly stability — something that had been lacking from this program over the last 30 years. I am actually sad to report that I just may well have been correct.

Comment by wbb 02.18.12 @ 12:31 pm

New OC Joe Rudolph I assume?

Comment by Tony C 02.18.12 @ 12:33 pm

Whoever chryst hires, they need to be absolute slam dunks in recruiting and good coaches all around.

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 12:44 pm

Still nothing official on Twitter or anything, but perhaps it’s worth noting that Bostad’s picture and profile have been removed from the Pitt website. Peak is now also saying he’s gone.

If so, so be it. It sucks. It certainly doesn’t help anything at this point.

To that end, it also doesn’t damn the upcoming season to mediocrity or failure, either. It doesn’t mean Chryst was a bad hire. It doesn’t guarantee that players will start fleeing the program. It doesn’t mean that Pitt will never, ever be able to recruit quality offensive linemen here, either.

If people want to start burying Chryst over this, it’s their prerogative to do so. I’ll give the guy the benefit of the doubt and at least wait until he coaches a full season and has a full recruiting class.

I think Chryst can restore this program to stability & find success that it hasn’t seen previously under Wannstedt and Harris. He needs time. He also needs a fanbase that isn’t thrown into a sense of abject panic every time a recruit comes through on a visit and leaves without giving a verbal commitment, or a rumor surfaces of an assistant coach garnering interest in another job.

Stability won’t happen overnight – not given the circumstances he walked into – and it wasn’t going to be without problems along the way. He lost a handful of fringe recruits, but retained the elite pieces of a recruiting class that would have fled under most circumstances. He lost a RB coach who elected to go back to his alma mater when an opportunity opened up there. Faulkner can be replaced. Bostad can be replaced.

Is Chryst above criticism for the way he’s handled some things? No, he’s not. But it’s also worth noting that to this point, he has not coached a game, a season, or had the benefit of a full year on the job to recruit.

As I’ve said here before, we gave Wanny plenty of time when he was first hired. Chryst deserves the same.

Comment by Stoosh 02.18.12 @ 1:04 pm

Dan what the fuck we cant catch a brake.
justinian and pk you dont get it i dont care who the RB coach is the point is our HC is moveing like a turtle he should have had one hired weeks ago.
and as far as taking his timerecruting it dont work that way ohio state has had 50 kids in all ready geting ready for next year pitt has had 5 or 6 do you see the difference.

and who ever said we need to pay more to the coachs is right this is no time to go cheap.

Dan this is total bull shit if your lose coachs before you play a game how will things ever strighten out.

and theTEsaid they think i have a offer but i dont
that means things are worse than i thought that means no organization that means the left hand does not no what the right hand is doeing

i did not give him a offer becuse i thought he had one think abought that statement
this is a cluster fuck we should all just jump now we are doomed.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 1:04 pm

Reports from Mike Vukovcan (KDKA sports producer) and corroborated by Peak state that Rudolph will serve as OC/TE coach, and Hueber will coach the OL.

Comment by Stoosh 02.18.12 @ 1:11 pm

FRANKCAN,

It hasn’t even been two weeks since Faulkner left for Wisconsin. He took the Wisconsin TE coach job on Feb. 6.

As far as replacements for Faulkner and filling out whatever remains of this coaching staff, I couldn’t care less how long it takes. I care a lot more about them getting the right guy, and we won’t know that until we start seeing actual results on the field.

Comment by Stoosh 02.18.12 @ 1:14 pm

Frank, YOU dont get it!!!! Ok, pitts not fucking ohio state!!! How many teams are in recruiting?!!!?????? Maybe 4, 5 max!!!!!!! Hes been on the job for two and a half freaking mobths and everybody wants to fire his ass!!!! That is STRAIT buuuuuullllllll shit!!!! Have you thought that maybe hes trying to evaluate what the team needs before he offers everyone and their mother? Or maybe some of their coaches, ie BOSTAD have been searching for fricken nfl jobs instead of being coaches??? Nope, you havent. You, like most pitt fans take every damn thing that can be taken as a negative and twist it and manipulate so it looks like the death of the freakin program!!!!

I agree with stoosh 100%

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 1:18 pm

Frank, I can tell you this much. You can have a a guy in great work situation, but when someone offers them more money or a more prestigious position, you will probably lose them. He going from college to the pros, so with a move to Tampa Bay, Bostad would be moving up a level and getting more money.

Comment by Justinian 02.18.12 @ 1:23 pm

FRANKCAN,

I don’t blame you for being frustrated about some of this stuff, but consider this as well about Chryst & Co.’s allegedly slow pace to recruiting.

It’s horribly early to star worrying to this degree about the 2013 class, and every kid has to be handled differently. Look at this 2012 class, for example. A year ago right now, Pitt wasn’t on Shell’s radar. Pitt also had no shot at Holtz a year ago. Circumstances change either with Pitt’s program, other programs or these kids and every kid is different.

Those kids that are making their Junior Day visits now are going to make several visits over the next 12 months, and Pitt will have their chance to get to many of them. They’re not losing many of these kids at this point. Let’s face it, if Ohio State (to use your example) is getting verbal commitments from any of those kids they’ve already brought in, chances are that kid was dead-set on Ohio State to begin with and Pitt would’ve never really had much of a shot anyway.

Comment by Stoosh 02.18.12 @ 1:28 pm

Stoosh do read outher blogs if you did youi would know i am not the only one that is worryed
ohio state has had 50 kid in us 6 that does not ring a bell with you. all i am saying is he came in with a bad rep on recruting and compared to what outhe schools are doeing he is moveing like a turtle

and a te that they are recuting say they may think i have a offer from them but i dont
which means they dont know who has a offer and who does not. that is not good.

we trusted TG how did that work out for us no trust till they earn it i am sick of beening burent and how many coachs can you lose before you play a game i am glad i am smokeing agein PITT is driveing me nuts .

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 1:30 pm

pk the only thing if that is how you fell that is ok.
but a lot of times you seam to be just listing some else thoughts and after TG and outher coachs over the years i am not real big on trusting them when it seams they are not keeping up with outher schools

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 1:39 pm

Frank, i dont wanna sound like a d bag. Youre one of my favorite posters on here but i just dont see the point in condemning chryst or his remaining staff 7 months before the first game and a year before his first full recruiting class

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 1:43 pm

I don’t mean to equate collegiate sports with a very serious issue, but being a Pitt fan is like being a battered spouse.

BAM, here comes another shot.

Comment by BATR 02.18.12 @ 1:47 pm

pk what i mean is this i think yesterday you said you were worryed abought recruting and i think to day you said you were worryed abought the RB coach
and in your latest post it goes something like this i am a downer give the coach a brake he will do ok in recruting not your exect words but you get the point

you are trying to sound grown up but you flip flop to mutch and you seam to use some else ideas
just use your own ideas what you think it would be better

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 1:49 pm

Big SHOUT OUT to the Pitt Panther Wrestling team who won their 3rd straignt EWL team championship last night.

Stocked with a good amount of local talent this team is ranked in the Top 10 and poised for a non-conference showdown at #2 PSU on 2/19.

The cupboard does not look bare in the near future as the team prepares to compete in the ACC in upcoming seasons.

Congrats to a solid winner and an example of how an investment in facilities a few years back by the Athletic department is showing strong Return on Investments for an “Olympic sport”.

Comment by Hey Fralic, what do you do for fun? 02.18.12 @ 1:59 pm

@JUSTINIAN. Everything you say is true, but, somewhere, somehow, someone has got to come up with a better solution.

I mean, if these men can’t honor contracts, then how can they be believed for anything.

How is a student athlete suppossed to believe anything.

Also, this sound archaic I guess, how about honoring a committment. It’s not like you’ve signed your life away. Your contract is only for a couple years. You can’t even honor that.

More money and pro football would have been there for him in 3 years.

Not just him obviously, but, I can’t think of another profession that whores itself so much.

I’m sure there are, but, college football is a real slut fest!!!!!!!

I mean, there is looking out for ones self, and there are also things called honor and integrity.

***Especially, these guys are supposed to be role models for cryin’ out loud***

If the guy put a stipulation in, that if something better comes along in a month or two, then shame on Chryst, SP and Nordy.

I mean, the whole thing is *%$#*#.

Comment by Dan 02.18.12 @ 2:12 pm

@BATR, wouldn’t it be nice to have blog on our team, where there wasn’t a headline after headline every week???

I mean, every other week it seems like there is another strike against Pitt somewhere or somehow.

How about a month or two of “NO NEWS”.

Chas, your advertisers might not like that, but, I have to imagine, you’re even getting tired of this crap!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 02.18.12 @ 2:16 pm

FRANKCAN,

Trust me, my friend, I don’t believe it has gone as smoothly as I hoped it would. But what I hoped and what I expected were two different things. I expected some issues with the transition because that’s what often happens with transitions.

But again, on the recruiting end of things, we’ve got like 50 more weeks before the 2013 Signing Day. We’ve got a full football season to play and all the other things that go with it. There are so many moving pieces at play here that will influence what each of these kids do. You have to factor in Pitt’s on-field success, the success (or lack thereof) of other programs, coaching changes at other programs, etc. Hell, all of these kids still need to play their senior seasons in high school, and look at what a potential injury there can do to a prospect (see McCoy, Lesean).

The main reason I’m not going to worry so much at this point is because there’s so much time left and so many things yet to happen. I want Pitt’s name out there with these kids now, but there is plenty of time left.

And really, a verbal commitment in most cases at this point does little. It doesn’t stop the other schools from recruiting these kids, as several tweets from kids like Shell, the Davis brothers and Voytik indicated.

I’ve offered my thoughts on Chryst’s “reputation” as a poor recruiter here before; I thought those were overblown a little. He may not be a strong recruiter, but he WAS able to keep Shell, Voytik, the Davis bros., Bisnowaty, and he WAS able to add Holtz, Rippy, Terrell Jackson, Bam Bradley under less-than-ideal circumstances (six weeks on the job).

I’d like to see the efforts stepped up a little, but I also think there’s a plan in place and there’s much more going on behind the scenes that we don’t see. It may not be the guns-blazing that Graham used, but many times an honest, calm, well-thought, well-organized approach delivers better results.

Comment by Stoosh 02.18.12 @ 2:28 pm

Dan very well said you got it right you are the man and jumping did not cross my mind but geting drunk did insted i had a smoke a cigar
pk no one said fire our new coach but you printed that.what i want him to do is show me he cares abought recruting and do what the outher schools do in that regard.

and get him self off his ass and hire some new coachs show me has some fire in his belly
my be it is just the way i perceive him but he seams to move slowley
and untill a coach proves him self i wont trust them look at our coachs over the years like TG
LOOK WHAT BOSTAD JUST DID TO US
dan is right these men are like whores

when our HCis not keeping pace with outhe schools you want to sit back and say he knows what he is doeing no i am going to call him on it when he has the rep he does with recruting and all the outher schools are going balls to the wall and he is puting along like a turtle may be iam wrong but we have been trusting and been let down to many times.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 2:43 pm

Frank, By all accounts, Joe Rudolf is best recruiter on the staff and we still have him. I imagine he will become the offensive coordinator. Chryst is an excellent X&Os guy. So it’s not the end of the world. We haven’t had a great game day coach since Walt Harris. Let’s give the new staff a chance and a few years. After all, Rome wasn’t built in a day. There are a lot of good young coaches who would love the opportunity to be on the staff of a school like Pitt. I think you will be pleasently surprised. It’s probably good that Pitt will another year in the Big East for Chryst and his staff to get established.

Comment by Justinian 02.18.12 @ 2:59 pm

Stoosh i know there are 50 weeks or so i know he needs a chance i known that loi day is very far away.
but when all the outher schools are going balls to the wall this early and when a recruit says they must tink i have a offer but pitt has not giveing me one it makes me nervious

did you read what panther prey said abought our HC recruting on this past class not his words but the left hand did not know what theright hand was doeing more or less

look all i want is for him to keep up with the outher schools and he seams so what me worry kind of coach i want him to charge show me has fire not skip down the street you mean to tell me you are not a little worryed abought his lackadasiy approch to things.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 3:03 pm

Dan, How can we get coaches to honor their contracts and pursue the highest dollar, when the schools are doing the same thing. That’s what all the conference re-alignment is all about. To go even further, the conferences are doing the same thing. They are looking at which schools will bering the best TV markets and are raiding other confererences. It’s all about money.

Now that Pitt is going to the ACC they will do better financially. If you have good coaches other teams and programs will always want to hire them. All you can do create the best situation that you can and hope your people like it here. Bostad was never really here long enough to develop a connection.

Comment by Justinian 02.18.12 @ 3:11 pm

Justinian did you read Wbbs post i wonder like him if pitt went cheap on what they are paying the coachs TGhad 2 million for his asst may be our new coach does not have the money for them to make them want to stay pitt will become cheap
they have done so in the past.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 3:22 pm

Dan are you ok hang in there bud we allways
get screwed over at pitt
you and i should be used to it have a drink and come back on line.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 3:27 pm

Frank, i said he needed to move faster yesterday. Today, now that bostad is gone, i can see why recruiting isnt going smoothy right now. Their best assistant was looking for nfl jobs. I still think they need to move faster but i can see whats going on. And i agreed with stoosh on his point that we cant condemn chryst not about how long it takes to get a coach.

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 3:30 pm

Let me just get MY thoughts out there so you know exactly whats on my mind

1) pitts unlucky

2) i just learned this the other day, but wisconsin has even less offers out than pitt. That tells me that this staff is using the same strategy that they did in wiscy. Who knows what that plan is, i myself would like them to move a little faster, but they definitely have some sort of strategy.

3) it seems like chryst has hired coaches that hes familiar with. For the qb and rb coaching positions, id like chryst to get out of his comfort zone a little and hire coaches who are not only good coaches, but great recruiters. Just like dokish said, someone with jersey or maryland connections would be great.

4) i still dont think you should condemn a coach right off the bat because of what his predecessors did. Coaches leave. It sucks. I hate it. It happens, as we all know. Any coach can leave at any time but that doesnt mean chryst should be given any grief by us fans for sonething he hasnt done.

5) pitts unlucky

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 3:42 pm

Sorry, I just can’t get spun up over the loss of an OL coach, or the lack of a RB coach, or how well a HC with 7 weeks on the job is recruiting. I don’t know how the Chryst era will play out. I’ll give the guy a few seasons before I declare him a failure.

Comment by HbgFrank 02.18.12 @ 3:46 pm

Compared to all the nonsense that we have been through in the past year and a half Bostad’s flying the coop for $$$ is nothing.

Yes, I am as pissed off as everybody else that the dust has still not settled. Our football coaching staff has been in a state of flux and it is about time for the football gods to be on our side.

I believe that Chryst will pull it all together in the next year….my main concern is that “Smiling” Steve is still the AD.

Comment by isnore 02.18.12 @ 3:51 pm

pk that is ok bud i respect that as long as you post what you think and not what some one else thinks unless you say i agree or that that person is right.
i was just saying what you think is what counts
not which way the wind is blowing.
but i hope he moves faster nameing his new coachs this time it just makes him look bad when he takes a long time like no one wants to come or he cant make up his mind i want him to look decisive

and in recruting i just want him to keep up with the outher schools to look like he knows what he is doeing we are not wisconsin we cant just offer 12 kids and they say thanks we will sign
at least not yet. and i am not sure he knows that.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 3:56 pm

Frank

Last I checked, PC’s record is 0-0.
Try decaf. Really.

Comment by MTD23456 02.18.12 @ 3:56 pm

You are correct Justinian.

I do have to say though, that coaching is more personal than conference realignment.

Some places, a handshake still means something. I guess that philosophy is getting further and further away from us.

P.S. I’m not naive, coaching has been this way for awhile, but it really seems like the past 2 or 3 years, (not just here), you hear of all of these coaches signing on, and only staying for a month or two, and you hear (so and so quit for something else).

I think that ass at Louisville really got the trend going a few years back. Can’t think of his name. Threatened Louisville with going to Auburn or Ole Miss, then said he was staying for good, then quit and went to the Atlanta Falcons, don’t even think he moved his furniture into Atlanta, and he took a job at Arkansas.

PSS I’m still on board with Chryst, disapointing to lose a big time offensive line coach though.

I also know it happens other places, but it certainly seems like we have had more than our fair share of coaching comings and goings.

Oh well, we got a Pitt hoops game tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 02.18.12 @ 3:57 pm

@Fralic. That is impressive about the wrestling team. Kudos to them, and good luck against the nitters!!!

Comment by Dan 02.18.12 @ 3:57 pm

Frustrating. But better now before spring ball starts.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 02.18.12 @ 4:00 pm

Frank, i think that was our first fight. Lets never do that again :)

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 4:04 pm

I have fired people…and I have been fired. I am a company turnaround guy. It is my job to make my job obsolete. I have seen companies fire people after drawing straws, flipping a coin and downsizing to the point of non-existance. Few companies give a crap about anyone’s personal life…so WHY on earth would I ever fault someone for taking a better job? Good luck to Bostad…no one is irreplaceable!! You younger business guys will find that out as you grow. Any time you get the chance to improve yourself take it!

Comment by Dan 72 02.18.12 @ 4:07 pm

PK I also would like to see our HC use more strategy in his new hires as you say move out of his comfort zone
some one from maryland would be nice or some one with ACC a acc back ground
you know the only thing good abought this is we should get a real QB coach now never did like the idea that our qb coach was really a te coach.
pk i was not fighting with you just wanted to make sure you were posting your own ideas.

you are right on with were the new hires should come from.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 4:42 pm

Frank, i agree. While all of chrysts hires were good, except inoke, they were all either his friends or a friend of a friend. For these two positions, he simply needs to find a good coach and great recruiter whether he knows them personally or not.

Comment by Pk 02.18.12 @ 4:57 pm

Bad team and Jaime recruited them.

Comment by Pitt Is IT 02.18.12 @ 5:13 pm

Mr. Bostard, Bye, Go F*ck yourself.

Comment by Coach Ditka 02.18.12 @ 5:32 pm

Bostad is not the only one apparently Keith Patterson has already bolted Arkansas State. So much for feeling bad for him thinking he was one of the good guys.

link to espn.go.com

Comment by giveitarest 02.18.12 @ 6:21 pm

more Patterson info someone said on Zeise’s blog he is headed to WVU

Comment by giveitarest 02.18.12 @ 6:23 pm

Frank, About Pitt going on the cheap. I don’t think they did. I think it’s probably more likely it’s an opportunity to the Pros with someone you would like to work with and in the process, get a lot more money. He had to reclocate anyway and living in Tampa would be appealing to lot of people. Particularily if you’ve been living through the winters in Madison, Wisconsin.

Comment by Justinian 02.18.12 @ 6:36 pm

Pk, your right. I’m not flipping out before even 1 game has been played in ’12. I was away for a couple of weeks, just getting caught up. Read everything since letter of intent day over the 3-4 days and its like what is up with all this. It would be nice for the FB program to have just a little luck. I’m happy with PC, believe he’s committed to the long term health of the program (from what I know now) was a good choice. Expect good things in years 3-5. Just wish there was more upbeat news and indication the program is on the rise after a real bottom. Impatient that’s all.

Comment by IH8PITT 02.18.12 @ 6:37 pm

Breaking News !! Yet another coach has “bolted to Tampa Bay”. And the ink had not even dried on his “contract”. Relax Pitt fans this time the defecting coach was frolm the “vaunted staff” of :Suburban Urban”. New coach Schiano, late of Rutgers is harf at wirh and burning the midnight oit to raid the college ranks of the midwest. Fair warning, head coaches the former Scarlet Knight is on the prowl and relentless. Does he care about commitments, contracts and ehics? Apparently NOT. Yesterday it was Borstat of Piyy today it is Bill Sheridan, noe EX-cornerbacks mentor at Ohio State. What is sicjening about the shark frenzy of coaches switching loyalties like Junior high students switching friends of the other sex is that it seems to be snowballing. Is there not an ounce of integrity in the college ranks? No question about it—GREED IS THE EMPEROR. REV. FROM COLUMBUS

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 02.18.12 @ 7:15 pm

IH8PITT PK DAN loseing bostard the best OL coach
in dev 1 football is so bad news
this sucks and i dont care how are HC or pitt spin it it will really hurt us
you dont lose the best with out it hurting your team on the field as well as recruting
and if you dont think thoes kids are saying what is wrong with pitt they cant keep a coach
you are nuts and the outher schools will be playing this up when talking to recruits.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 7:24 pm

DAN PK HAVE WE HAD ONE WEEK SENCE DAVE WAS LET GO THAT NOTHING HAS HAPPENED
I DONT THINK SO IT HAS BEEN ONE THING AFTER ANOTHER. WEEK IN WEEK OUT IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS WE MUST BE CURSED.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 7:44 pm

DAN TELL ME SOMETHING.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 8:08 pm

were the hell is every one
PK PK
PK if you and outhers think i should not be upset abought recruting
please go read chris dokish panther prey for feb 17 and feb 18th pk i know you are a fan of dokish
than come back and tell me i should not be worryed

it is under pitt football recruiting updates

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 8:28 pm

Think I posted this on the wrong blog. lol

(was in response to someone calling Chryst the Wisconsin closer)

Wisconsin needed a ‘closer’? That term seems to have come up lately whereas it was never mentioned before as far as I can remember. While I sincerely hope we got the right guy and I think we did, there’s nothing I’ve seen from Chryst’s speaking abilities that would suggest he was a ‘closer’. Nice guy and all that, but closer, no.
And I agree with Frankcan, he does seem to be a tad slow in getting things organized. But that is what normally happens when you hire a guy who’s never run his own show before. They’re hesitant since they don’t have the benefit of experience in making ALL the decisions. I would be more apprehensive if he wasn’t able to bring some of these other very good Wisconsin coaches with him.

And I would be extremely apprehensive if Chryst had been Smiley’s first choice.

PITT really seems to have a sense of bad timing, had DW still be here (and I know the hate on this board), we had the Top 20 class last year we lost, there is no telling how well we would have recruited this year, with the mess at Penn State and then Rutgers. But I think DW, Hafley and the rest would have cleaned up bigtime this year and next year. For we would have been the program with stability for a change. That once in a lifetime opportunity was missed !

Comment by Emel 02.17.12 @ 1:25 pm

Comment by Emel 02.18.12 @ 8:42 pm

Let’s see, that 2 lost asst’s in 2 weeks, at this rate Chryst won’t have a staff in another month.
lol :-(

And he hasn’t even coached a game yet. PITT is really becoming a very very Black Comedy (as in dark humor)

Comment by Emel 02.18.12 @ 8:46 pm

Emel, Yes a lot of us realize that Dave Wannstedt had a top 20 recruiting class coming, but that water under the dam. I would have given him another year, but that wasn’t our call. The Athletic Director made that decision and then hired Heywood and Graham. We are where we are. Given those last two hires, Chryst to me, still appears to be a good hire. We have to give him the benefit of doubt and see what he can do over time.

Comment by Justinian 02.18.12 @ 9:08 pm

EMel my friend please read panther prey for the 17 and 18 feb
than you will see why i worry we have all most no new offers out there he says we are slow on recruting and we cant keep coachs
the outher schools will be pointing that out to the kids

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 9:20 pm

There’s a nice article in the Trib,in the College Locker Room, about Lousaka Polite.

Comment by Justinian 02.18.12 @ 9:54 pm

No drinking the kool aid we just lost the best OL
coach in dev 1 football
and it will hurt us in recruiting as well as in games this comeing year.
we will replace him with a OL coach who is ok and was once very good but who looks like he is 75 years old
we just lost the best OL coach in dev 1 football
we just went from a line that would have had a grade of A to a line that will have a grade of C
so dont expect me to drink the kool aid

and he needs to hire 2 coachs soon or he will look like he cant find one and i have to wonder if pitt went cheap on the amount they pay

or do we have a turtle for a coach a big slow turtle and for you that want me to stop i will as soon as the coach gets his ass in gear gets organized as EMel says he does seam a tad slow.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.18.12 @ 9:56 pm

@FRANK, I’m here, just stopping by, got to run over to my brothers.

@REV GEORGE MEHAFFEY…Thank you sir!!!

I stated above, I’m not naive, coaches have done this over time. But, as you point out, it really seems to be snowballing and happening more and more frequently!!!

@A couple great posters, who I agree with 99% of the time……..I know it’s college football, and people want to better themselves, and if an oppurtunity comes along……..

SORRY, I don’t buy it. Yes, if after a couple years at a place, hell, I’ll give you if ONE year at a place, but TWO months at a place, then quitting, no, no, no, ain’t buyin’ it.

It’s BS. Wrap it anyway you want, say how others do it, say that’s the way it is, that is crap!!

And this is not just on Bostad. Any coach, who signs a contract, then bolts after two months…

BULLCRAP!!!!

That may be the way it is, that don’t make it right!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 02.18.12 @ 10:19 pm

FRANKCAN,

Maybe this will ease your mind a little bit as to the offensive line. As I mentioned earlier, the team has already addressed the OL coach situation. They promoted Jim Hueber from within.

Hueber’s bio is available on the Pitt website, but here are some highlights.

2006-10: Assistant offensive line coach with the Minnesota Vikings. His offensive lines featured perennial Pro Bowlers Steve Hutchinson and Matt Birk. His offensive lines helped pave the way for a 1200-yard rushing season by Chester Taylor in 2006, and then several Pro Bowl-caliber seasons by Adrian Peterson, including Peterson’s 1700+ yard season in 2008.

1992-2005: Offensive Line coach, Wisconsin Badgers.

During that time, he oversaw the development of Aaron Gibson, Chris McIntosh and Joe Thomas. All three were first-team All-Americans and first-round NFL draft picks. While Gibson battled injuries that shortened his NFL career, McIntosh and Thomas have been Pro Bowlers and were dominant at the collegiate level. Thomas is regarded as the prototypical NFL tackle today.

Developed offensive lines at Wisconsin that helped turn Ron Dayne into a Heisman Trophy winner and made RBs Michael Bennett and Brian Calhoun NFL draft picks.

Prior to coaching the OL at Wisky, he was RB coach from 1992-94, where he was responsible for coaching Brent Moss. Moss holds the Wisconsin rushing record for most 100-yard games in a season with 11, set in 1993.

I think this guy is perfectly capable of picking up where Bostad left off. His track record speaks for itself at the collegiate and pro levels.

Comment by Stoosh 02.18.12 @ 10:40 pm

Why did Bostad come to Pitt? He could have stayed in badgerland and made calls for a new job from Madison.

I have the feeling that he has not been busting his chops on the recruiting circuit. THIS IS ALL VERY WIERD. Bostad was supposed to be very close to Chryst…the rumors start flying about the Chicago Bears…Bostad stays loyal to Chryst (or so he prentended).

Schiano is putting together an ALL-Star college coaching staff for a pro team (He raided King Urban Meyer for Sherriden yesterday). Lo and behold he finds an unhappy Bostad who after reviewing lots and lots of film of Tino making an ass of himself decides to get out of PBurgh as fast as he can. I contend that Bostad was never REALLY in Pittsburgh….physically yes for a couple of weeks…mentally he had already checked out on his good buddy, Coach Chryst and settled for Schiano shekels.

I believe that Chryst has received a life lesson (yep, I know it is coming way past his puberty) to
stop trusting everybody to be loyal to him in the coaching business….the operative word is BUSINESS///money talks and most people walk.

The crazy part of all of this is that Tampa could very well stink and Schiano and Co. might lay an enormous ostritch egg.

Comment by isnore 02.18.12 @ 10:48 pm

Sir Tino’s career at Pitt has been littered with so many coaches, my head spins. Oye veh !

Talk about a jinx.

Comment by Emel 02.18.12 @ 11:08 pm

@ isnore u are spot on.

This is ALL VERY WIERD. (and then some)
Maybe Smiley got conned again, in that Chryst was hired with the agreement he would be able to bring several outstanding asst’s from Wisky with him.
So he brings Bostad & Rudolph and we all happy and the agreement with Smiley is fulfilled.

Technically yes, but in reality….no.

Speaking of Wisky, I think I need a drink.

(P.S. haven’t had time to read that article yet frankcan but I’ll try to shortly, thx buddy)

Comment by Emel 02.18.12 @ 11:13 pm

Take this for what it’s worth, too…

Peak tweeted earlier today that he was supposed to interview Bostad yesterday morning. Bostad called Peak Thursday night to cancel the interview and they never rescheduled it.

Either way, they need to hire a QB coach and a RB coach. I do agree with the sentiments that some have expressed that hopefully their new selections for each will some strong recruiting ties not just to this area, but also the Maryland/Eastern PA/Virginia areas.

Comment by Stoosh 02.18.12 @ 11:27 pm

I’ll be interested to see what happened here with Bostad. Bostad spurned previous overtures by the NFL.

My guess is that Tampa opened the pocketbook for Schiano and his assistants, and they’ve made some of these guys the proverbial financial offers they couldn’t refuse.

Schiano was a ballsy hire by Tampa ownership and the fanbase in Tampa isn’t entirely enamored with that move. Tampa ownership and management hasn’t exactly been strong since they won the Super Bowl about a decade ago. That was right around the time that Malcolm Glazer acquired the controlling interests in Manchester United, which took the Bucs’ place as his shiny new toy. The Bucs have been on a steady decline ever since.

They may be throwing a lot of money at this to surround Schiano with some names he’s comfortable with and to ensure that he isn’t in over his head. Sheridan’s willingness to leave what was likely a pretty cushy position at Ohio State may be evidence of that.

I don’t know. I’m just spitballing here. I just don’t really there’s anything here that would cause Bostad to go running from the program for whatever the next thing that came along may be. If that was the case, he would’ve made himself much more available for the Bears job than he did.

Comment by Stoosh 02.18.12 @ 11:47 pm

If money talks, Pitt needs to pay its coaches more so they aren’t even tempted. The market is competitive so if the trustees and administration really want Pitt to be elite again, show me the money. And Pitt needs to write significant buyout clauses in these contracts. It is ridiculous that a coach can sign a contract and not even make it past one year or one week even. I blame the hiring decision on Chryst and a poorly written contract without teeth. Let’s pray that the two coaching openings are homeruns. Open the checkbook and target someone who can recruit the South. Any big booster out there willing to write a check?

Comment by TX Panther 02.19.12 @ 7:29 am

Chryst also’s a hired Hueber who like Bostad is an offensive line coach, that’s a redundency. Actually Hueber was Bostad’s predecessor at Wisconsin, So Chryst probably knew that Bostad was considering the pros. Apparently Hueber is pretty good because he built Wilsconsin’s offensive lines in the 90s, before moving on to the Minnesota Vikings.

Comment by Justinian 02.19.12 @ 7:34 am

Stoosh, About Bostsad spurning the opportunity to go to Dallas. My guess is that Bostad was just more comfortable working for Schiano in Tampa, than for Jerry Jones in Dallas.

Comment by Justinian 02.19.12 @ 7:39 am

I think in terms of coaching the o line, hueber will be every bit as good as bostad. The problem is, bostad was a good recruiter and, while i dont know for sure, i doubt hueber will be able to recruit as well as bostad. This just means that the importance of filling out the rest of the staff with good recruiters is very important. Also, i disagree with the notion given by some, not really on this board, that pitt needs someone with florida ties. Id rather they have jersey or maryland ties for this reason-pitt has a realistic shot of landing top prospects out of nj or md, they have ZERO shot of landing top recruits out of florida.

Comment by Pk 02.19.12 @ 7:52 am

maybe they should hire Jamie Smith (or whatever his name was) from Montana St as QB coach … believe that he was the very 1st internet rumor back in late Dec as a Pitt asst coach

Comment by wbb 02.19.12 @ 8:16 am

FRANKCAN, totally agree with your 7:24pm post. Thanks for that uplifting perspective just what I needed when thinking about Pitt FB. Yeah, I hate to be a pessimist but there has to be something wrong in the Pitt antithetic department. A guy who would commit, move start recruiting and then bail makes no sense. Why come in the first place. There is something structurally wrong here. And when people talk about the lure of the NFL well, don’t forget the pay may be a little better but you can get fired in the drop of a hat. Much less job security in the pros. If the Pitt job was decent it seems like an unnecessary risk.

Comment by IH8PITT 02.19.12 @ 8:19 am

PK I agree. In the recent past, Pitt has gotten a lot of very good players from New Jersey. When Graham came in and Cignetti and Hafer were not retained, they went to Rutgers and took their recruits with them. This past year they kicked Pitt’s but for recruits in New Jersey. I would like to see someone outside of Chryst circle who has ties to either New Jersey, or the Washington, DC and Maryland area.

Comment by Justinian 02.19.12 @ 8:23 am

STOOSH i know abought hueber i am the one who told every one on here abought him before he was hired check the old posts
HUEBER is no Bostad if he was he would have been the OL coach from day one
hueber is old he looks 75 .
but you drink the koolaid you tell your self it is ok but it is not as par fore the course pitt just got screwed agein

we will make the best of it and move on and hope for a good year in football
but dont do the spin that pitt is that hueber is just as good dont feed me bullshit

you dont lose number 1 and replace him with a man who was say number 3 15 years ago and say we are just as good we will be ok but not as good
take off thoes rose tinted glasses

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.19.12 @ 8:33 am

Frank take a chill pill and let the dust settle. There is nothing we can do. No one wanted to lose Bostad. All we can hope for is that they have things under control. If they don’t, all the the hand wringing in the world won’t change a thing. Let’s give Paul Chryst a break, let him proceed in completing his staff, be supportive of the program, and see how he does. Even in the best of circumstances rebuilding a program won’t happen overnight.

Comment by Justinian 02.19.12 @ 8:51 am

Paul chryst is having a presser today im tryin to figure out whether itll be on the fan and what time ill keep you posted.

Comment by Pk 02.19.12 @ 9:13 am

justinian i am supportive but i am also one who lives in the real world we just got fucked i am not hand wringing
but i dont drink the koolaid
a spade is a spade
you all want to say it is ok things are rosey
wake the fuck up sure we will make the best of it
sure it is good we have hueber but dont down play this read what DAN says or EMEL .
or go read panther prey from the feb 17th and feb 18 th shure we have to hope for the best but we cant be blind like last time things are not as good as we want to think.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.19.12 @ 9:13 am

pk thanks for the info bud.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.19.12 @ 9:19 am

Panthers are 7 point favorites today. Shocking.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 02.19.12 @ 9:23 am

Will be interesting to see what adjustments, if any, Dixon makes tonight after having lost to them so recently. Must be something good coming if we’re laying 7. Ha.

Comment by JW 02.19.12 @ 9:32 am

Frank I don’t like it that Bostad left any more than you do. But the way the landscape is today, there’s not much anyone can do about it. All Pitt can do, is to try to get the best people they can, to fill the spots they have. Yes, he was a big draw, but no one is irreplacable. We just need to hope that they hire more good people.

Comment by Justinian 02.19.12 @ 9:35 am

Pitt can try to pay an assistant all they want, but with the exception of of Notre Dame and perhaps Texas, no college can outspend an NFL team.

Ohio State just lost an assistant to Tampa also.

Comment by OriginalEther 02.19.12 @ 9:45 am

I come to this site for indepth information on Pitt, instead I get people who are ready to crucify PC. He hasn’t coached a game yet, people. Relax.
Furthermore, as for coaches leaving, it’s the exact same in the business world. You work for someone once, develop a good rapport. They leave for another position, you stay behind. Eventually, they reach out to you and offer you more money to come work with their company. Same idea here.

Comment by hacky3 02.19.12 @ 9:53 am

wbb, Smith was hired as the QB coach at Boise St.

Comment by markp 02.19.12 @ 9:54 am

Being a college or pro football coach, with some rare exceptions, is a gypsy life. These people uproot themselves and families more than military personnel. When a coach takes a job with a school, the coach knows that their career with a team can end in a heartbeat. So, we should not be surprised when a coach leaves for what they may think is greener pastures. Let’s not be too critical or judgmental here on Bostad.

Pitt has a head coach who will do the right thing for Pitt or he will be gone just like all the other Pitt coaches that preceded him. Let’s not get our shorts in a wad just because an assistant coach decided to move on. Look at the bright side, its better that he moves now than later…

I wish Bostad good luck in his new career opportunity in Tampa Bay. We all know he will need it. HTP!

Comment by MariettaMike 02.19.12 @ 10:00 am

All is well. Don’t worry all we have to do is offer. There is no need to sell!!! Yea Right!

This is all BS and you all should know it. I am arfraid that we are in for another 10 yrs. of mediocre FB. I refuse to get passionate about this anymore. I will still go to the games like I have over the past 40 years but they will not get me to buy in. Same old Pitt.

Look at WVU. They bought themselves out of the BE, will be in the Big 12 next year, make up the buy out in 1 year with enhanced revenue and have a step up in recruiting, etc. Say what you want about the school to our South but it looks like they are whipping our asses and gloating about it. On the otherhand Pitt is too cheap to buy out of the BE, to cheap to pay coaches, etc. I had it!

Comment by JP 02.19.12 @ 10:02 am

Wow. The presser is tuesday my fault guys.

On to basketball. I was pleased with the way malcolm gilbert played the other day. He positions himself well on defense and doesnt rely on his length in the post. In a year or two hes going to be a very good center for pitt. Jj moore has been hot lately, so id like to see him get some more playing time. Id also like to see isaiah epps and cam wright get some pt. this is a game where pitt should push the tempo because if they allow usf to set up their defense then they wont score. Hopefully theres a good Crowd because pitt needs to impress mr. Malik zaire!!

Comment by Pk 02.19.12 @ 10:12 am

Yes jp demonize a poor public speaker for two words. Just by those two words we know that pitt will never win another game!

Comment by Pk 02.19.12 @ 10:14 am

I’m not going to worrry too much about the direction of the football program until the current staff has year 3 or 4 years under their belt. I will always be interested in the success of both the football and basketball programs and the recruiting process. Hail to Pitt.

Comment by Justinian 02.19.12 @ 10:21 am

@JP, I’m sorry you feel this way about Pitt football. You have been a Pitt fan for over forty years and have witnessed some very exciting Pitt football. Be positive.

Pitt and Syracuse are doing the right thing by staying in the Big East for one more year. Let’s look at the long-term, Pitt is way better off in the ACC than West Virginia is in the Big 12. Over the term, Pitt will benefit more financially than West Virginia.

Let’s continue to support our team and not worry about how other schools run their football programs.

HTP!

Comment by MariettaMike 02.19.12 @ 10:29 am

There just might be something rotten in the athletic depratment that these new coaches are witnessing first hand. How much interaction do these coaches have with Smiley? Maybe Pitt is totally dysfunctional and not committed to winning? Too much half assing and infighting which provides a recipe for failure. If a coach sees that, money would be secondary. Its probably a bunch of things. More money, better chance at success elsewhere, no pressure to recruit, time for a change, etc. But we all know Pitt is cheap, not elite, is unstable and people in the athletic department probably don’t get along…politics and competing agendas. Its amazing we get anyone to sign up for this gig. And Tino as QB doesn’t help.

Comment by TX Panther 02.19.12 @ 10:34 am

Is there anybody on here with a rivals subscription? If so, can you relay what they say about robert fosters visit to pitt? Thanks

Comment by Pk 02.19.12 @ 10:54 am

Be honest, if someone offered you four times the money, would you bail on your employer, or stay and be loyal? Hmmm?

Comment by StFan 02.19.12 @ 11:05 am

Hell, I’d go just for the weather.

Comment by StFan 02.19.12 @ 11:06 am

TX PANTHER I dont know if you are right or not but i do wonder abought it.
this hire of chryst was at the time to Stabilize
the program.
the word means constancy to keep from fluctuating

How has that worked for us.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.19.12 @ 12:17 pm

Pitt football has not been relevant for over 20 years. That makes a lot of other programs look like a better opportunity.

As far as something going on inside the athletic department… I do think there is something awry there but Wanny and Walt were here for extended stays so it’s hard to tell what the issue maybe.

Comment by Yeti 02.19.12 @ 12:17 pm

frank, what did you expect? youre expecting consistancy after less than 3 months on the job?
its clear that chryst felt like hiring bostad was a risk-reward deal. risk-he leaves for the nfl because bostad clkearly wanted an nfl job. reward-hes a great coach and good recruiter. as i said before, hueber will fill bostads void in terms of coaching, but because of his age he wont be near the recruiter bostad was. thats why its even more important to fill out the staff with good recruiters

Comment by pk 02.19.12 @ 12:36 pm

pk consistancy yes stabilize that is what we wanted. i doubt chryst new bostad was looking to leave and if he did he should not have haired him
and bostad was not known as a great recruiter
go back and read all the posts it was the outher coach the one who is are new OC WHO WAS KNOWN FOR THAT.
hueber fill the void but he is not as good and yes he is old will we make do yes just dont make it look better than it is.
i want every thing to be great and you do to
all i am saying is dont make it sound better than it is it is what it is but dont act like we got a great deal with the switch be real
and yes lets hope he hires coachs that can help us in recruting and moves out of his comfort zone this time

and yes when you hire some one for a reason
you have a right to expect him to make good on that reason.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.19.12 @ 1:58 pm

PK I am not demonizing anyone. I just want to see something positive. Bostad was his first hire. Would you not think that your first hire is one of the most important? and here we go again he leaves after 2 months. What are we supposed to think.

Comment by JP 02.19.12 @ 3:03 pm

frank, bostad was a good recruiter, i didnt say the staffs best recruiter, but a good one.

as for bostad/hueber, i understand that hueber isnt as good as bostad. i said in terms of coaching, theyre about equal, but bostad offers more in recruiting. id rather have bostad at ol and hueber at tes but you have to play the hand youre dealt so lets hope chryst can recover

Comment by pk 02.19.12 @ 3:04 pm

He had to have known there was NFL interest, a lot of NFL interest……

Then what did you sign a contract for two months ago for??????

Everyone just do whatever they want, it’s a free for all!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 02.19.12 @ 5:47 pm

About NFL interest with Bostad, Paul Chryst probably knew that it was a possibility, but felt it was worth the risk. That’s a chance you take with good people. Other programs will want to hire them.

Comment by Justinian 02.19.12 @ 7:12 pm

FRANKCAN,

I never said Hueber was as good as Bostad. I merely said he’s clearly qualified.

If you want to have an intelligent and objective debate on issues around the program here, fine. I’ll be here when you can have that discussion without referring to me as a “kool-aid drinker” or instructing me to “take off the rose-tinted glasses” simply because I refuse to do this internet equivalent of running in circles with my arms flailing.

I never said things are all sunshine and rainbows. In fact, I’ve stated several times over that I’m not exactly thrilled with some of these developments. I’m not a fan of Pederson at all; to be honest, I thought he should’ve been shown the door after the Haywood debacle and then definitely after the whole fiasco with Graham. But I don’t get to make that decision.

But it’s effing February, for crying out loud. The 2012 season is more than six months away. I’ve gone out of my way in every single one of my posts on the topic to justify my point and give rationale reasons why there may be no need to worry to any real extent over this. I’ve read Dokish’s site and while he raises some good points, what he says is not gospel either. I follow Peak, Zeise and a number of others media types close to the Pitt program on Twitter. I try to formulate my opinions on things based on a sum of all things that they are all saying.

I’m willing to give Chryst a chance, just as I was willing to give Todd Graham a chance, Mike Haywood a chance, Dave Wannstedt a chance and Walt Harris a chance. If the fan base by and large was willing to give each of them took over was to allow for three years to establish their system and get recruiting classes into and through the program, that’s what they get from me.

I’m sorry I don’t flail around and take to the nearest bridge every time something with this program goes awry (as things tend to do from time to time in, oh, every other program across the country). I want Pitt to do well, but I’m also mindful of the fact that it’s a process and that things take time to develop, that things are influenced by a number of factors and that transitions are not smooth. I also believe that Chryst is the best chance this program has given itself to restore the overall stability that it had under MOST of the Wannstedt era. I also believe that Chryst is the coach who can take this team beyond that, because he comes from a program whose track record spoke for itself.

If that makes me a “kool-aid drinker”, so be it.

Comment by Stoosh 02.19.12 @ 8:16 pm

I will have whatever Stoosh is drinking and be glad to buy him another

Comment by giveitarest 02.19.12 @ 9:31 pm

Stoosh chill before you stroke out.
my point and may be i am not clear is to say things are great better than before is bull shit
i want the HC to do well also but there are some people who seam blind to things just becuse he is are coach i know he needs time i dont want to fire him i like him but were there is smoke there is fire.

i see some things that make me worry.
i think what i am trying to say is let us not bury are heads in the sand just becuse he is are coach most of us did that with TG how did that work out for us.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.19.12 @ 9:33 pm

Chryst is undefeated and as of today has the same number of LOIs for 2013 as everyone else.

Comment by giveitarest 02.19.12 @ 9:41 pm

Stoosh think what you want and i will do the
same but i am not wringing my hands or flailing
around.

just pointing out that there blind trust is not good pointing out that dockish and outhers are seeing things that could be trouble for us for PITT

and last time all most all said it is ok TG knows what he is doeing

I am glad you dont think hueber is as good as bostad that is part of what i was trying to say to many were saying it is ok no big deal we have hueber i just want them to get real it was a big loss.

will we go on yes will we do well most likley yes
but are things 100 percent ok not yet.

just dont want people to drink the koolaid like they did last time with TG DO YOU UNDERSTAND.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.19.12 @ 10:19 pm

If Joe Rudolph decides to go somewhere, then start worrying. Because he was the main recruiter for the Badgers and their recruiting coordinator.

Bostad brought one guy to Pitt, if he even was involved with that. The kid who was going to walk-on at Wisky. Gabe something or other.

I never did like this Schiano a-hole at Rutgers.
May he be a flop in Tampa Bay. Unbelievable a schmoe like him even got a NFL head coaching gig.
Rutgers never won the BigEast and never went to anything higher than a 3rd tier bowl game.
And this gets you an NFL head coaching job. LMAO

No wonder the people in Tampa are going, wtf .

Comment by Emel 02.20.12 @ 6:50 am

One thing we always do at PITT Frankcan like you said, we will go on. We are like the inevitable postman, thru rain, hail, sleet & snow… we will go on.

This fan base has endured, will endure and will continue to endure whatever dark nightmares Smiley and company have in store for us.

For we are Pitt alum and we can endure anything they can dish out. (like we haven’t already) haha

V E V !

Comment by Emel 02.20.12 @ 6:59 am

V E V !

P.S. Had to change name, it wouldn’t let me post two in a row. WTF

Comment by Son of Emel 02.20.12 @ 7:00 am

don’t know wtf happened. Oh well! Internet & websites can be malfuntional (sp) at times.

Comment by Emel 02.20.12 @ 7:06 am

chryst is having a presser on tuesday, so im assuming hes going to announce the running backs coach. i dont know what else it could be for. the only remaining 2012 target anthony standifer still has another visit and i doubt hes already found a quarterbacks coach. who knows, though.

frank, i still dont think we should, as you say, hold chrysts “feet to the fire” because of his predecessors. look at it this way, if you have one girlfriend who leaves you at the drop of a hat for some other guy, are you going to treat your next girlfriend like garbage? id hope not. all im saying is, judging by the resumes that all on the staff but inoke have, theres reason to believe that they will have success at pitt. will he be successful? i dont know. will he bolt for another job? i doubt it, but i dont know that either. all im saying is that i dont think its as much blind faith as expecting their previous success to continue.

Comment by pk 02.20.12 @ 7:45 am

Anyone heard anything on our two ooc games??

Please, only one cupcake, even if it has to be an away game. FSU has opening. Mizzou looking for two, but there schedule is filled when we have openings.

Hopefully these guys are all in talks with each other to see what can get done, or rearranged.

TA&M–Booked

Comment by Dan 02.20.12 @ 11:35 am

Frank,

Thanks for the response, and my apologies if my rants yesterday came off as too strong.

I don’t blame you or anyone else at all if you’re skeptical of Chryst…not after what this fanbase has been through since the 2010 season. The team underachieved that year, Wanny’s dismissal was butchered, the Haywood embarrasment happened, then came the whole disaster with Graham. We haven’t had much to be optimistic about since August of 2010.

That said, I do think PK makes a couple of good points above.

Graham is probably much more the exception than the rule. Even by the relatively low standards that exist with college coaches in terms of honoring contracts, Graham managed to lower the bar. When good national writers (Pat Forde, Steward Mandel) claim that Graham’s departure made Lane Kiffin’s exit from Tennessee look clean by comparison, that’s saying something. I’m hoping we’re not unlucky enough to have it happen again with Chryst; he doesn’t strike me as that type of person.

In terms of anticipated success, I tend to fall in line with what PK said as well. I’m cautiously optimistic based on their previous track records. Contrary to Haywood and Graham, Chryst has been involved at a high level with a program has sustained success at a much better level of overall competition. I’m encouraged by that.

We’ll wait and see what happens. I think in the long run, we’ll all be happy with the results.

Comment by Stoosh 02.20.12 @ 2:27 pm

Are there problems in Panther land? Pay the money and get the hell out of dodge Stevie…
BTW WVU and Pitt should play in BB and in football.
Too good a rivalry to let die or be tainted by idiot fans from both sides.
Besides who the hell am I going to torment when I go to work? Not many UT grads in Pgh and Penn State is afraid to play WVU.

Comment by A-Wild 02.21.12 @ 8:58 pm