December 25, 2011

Happy Holidays From Reed

Filed under: Football — Reed @ 8:27 am

On this morning let me say, from the bottom of my heart, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays in any way you celebrate.

The PITT Blather has been a part of my life for years first as a reader, then as a commenter and now as a contributor.  The most important thing to me is all of the other people on here who take the time to discuss one of our favorite things – PITT sports.  We are a unique breed I believe and I’ve met all kinds.

We will rejoice when good things happen, commiserate when bad things do and debate issues with vigor and respect.  Who else does those things you may ask?  Good friends do.  That is what I consider all of you to be, no matter how emotionally we may argue about a subject.

In my opinion it is better for us to not have the type of football team that does nothing but win all the time with a coach who stays for 800 years and that has a fan base which is so completely aligned with one another that they march in lockstep.  Wins are great and I do want as many as we can get, but as a fan I enjoy the reality and drama of the 360 degrees of our football program because it gets all of us much more involved in conversation.

I think we all got a holiday gift with Paul Chryst and while results will be measured over the course of next season it feels right to me… regardless of how well we do in his first year.  We will be involved emotionally, excited and apprehensive, disappointed and content.  In other words, we will be fans.

I wake every morning, get a big cup o’ joe, settle behind the computer and start going down my routine football sites, always saving The PITT Blather for last in case I may find something interesting to share with you.  It is a routine I have and one I like.  Then we start talking, all of us.

To me that is a Christmas gift each and every day and I thank you.

So, on this special morning let me pass my best wishes to all of you and my hope that you and yours are safe, happy and healthy this holiday season and that you enjoy life as much as I.  To our friends in the military, here and deployed, let me stand and salute you on this day as I do on every day, look you in the eye and tell you that my respect for you has no bounds.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

2011 was one of the most interesting years that I’ve ever followed in Pitt football. It could have been a pretty dull 6-6 regular season but of course that was not the case. My drama queen daughter, who just adores watching all those inane reality shows, Real Housewives, etc. even started taking an interest in the Pitt football saga this year simply because of all the DRAMA.

Next year has to be more concerned with just the X & Os right? I hope so. Best wishes to all involved in the Pitt Blather for a healthy and Happy 2012 and of course HTP.

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.26.11 @ 9:09 am

Happy Holidays to all of you Pitt faithful. Got my unborn baby some new Pitt gear this Xmas. Time to grow some future Blathers for ~2028!

Comment by PaulyP 12.26.11 @ 9:29 am

thanks reed and I agree with your points on recruiting

Comment by pk 12.26.11 @ 10:25 am

Just asking……when do you think our assistant coaches will be named (I realize that it will not all happen at once)?

Comment by isnore 12.26.11 @ 10:36 am

isnore, cryst said in his presser that he’d like to have his staff in place by the second week of January, so I’d imagine he’d have them announced around then.

Comment by pk 12.26.11 @ 10:42 am

pk Thanks.
Something tells me that Chryst is going to assemble an amazing staff (if Pitt has provided enough of a budget). He seems to be the type of individual that is genuinely liked and respected by members of the coaching fraternity..A HUGE PLUS FOR PITT!!

Comment by isnore 12.26.11 @ 10:47 am

I agree isnore. if cryst is the the x’s and o’s genius that everybody says he is, then I think he’ll be able to assemble a staff that will share that quality. im really excited about the staff he hires and his tenure at Pitt.

Comment by pk 12.26.11 @ 10:59 am

isnore, PITT shelled out some money last season for the “Southside Mercenaries” so I’ll assume Chryst will get the same or better.

Comment by Reed 12.26.11 @ 11:29 am

Reed, I think we will get better than the “Southside Mercenaries”.
Chryst has been coaching on a MUCH HIGHER plane than Grahamass and I am positive that he will assemble the kind of staff that could hold its own
on any top 15 ranked team in the country.
Let’s face it, the Panthers need a reeducation on the basics of football….one quick example would be how our receivers get in to position for making 1st downs..YARDMARKER AWARENESS!! I am very excited about Chryst and what he will bring to our program.

Comment by isnore 12.26.11 @ 12:35 pm

the thing I’m looking forward to most other than the staff cryst assembles is what he does with the 2012 recruiting class. it’s already a solid class and I want to see what kind of additions he makes before signing day

Comment by pk 12.26.11 @ 12:41 pm

Some thing to think abought for penn state and there search committe wake up things are not the same as a year ago.
The coachs that would have taken the job a year ago wont touch the job now every big name has turned you down so far this year.
when you say we are penn state it does not mean what it did last year.
so come down to earth get real live with it.
you will have to hire some who is not a star.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.26.11 @ 1:28 pm

Guys – I just posted a new article that touches on these issues.

link to pittblather.com

Comment by Reed 12.26.11 @ 1:34 pm

happy new year Reed == good health,wealth & happiness to you & your family == hail to pitt!!

Comment by DC33 12.27.11 @ 11:22 am

Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s tough to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appeal. I must say that you’ve done a fantastic job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Firefox. Exceptional Blog!

Comment by Make Money Blogging 01.05.12 @ 9:31 pm

Someone essentially lend a hand to make critically articles I would state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and so far? I amazed with the research you made to make this particular post extraordinary. Magnificent job!

Comment by Isaac Nolder 01.11.12 @ 12:25 pm