August 2, 2013

[Ed. Note: Hosting company had network problems today. I tried to publish this just as it went down.]

As we all know, one of the way Penn State did their best not to play Pitt was to claim they simply could not “afford” to lock into a home-and-home series. They needed at least a 3-for-2 deal or some other arrangement to make it clear that they were the alpha dog get enough home games. Pitt never flinched in holding firm against that. Not Pederson. Not Long. Wasn’t going to happen.

Now WVU works to find non-con games. They are looking to set up regional games (cheaper travel and games their fans might actually care to see) and neutral site games.

Holgorsen speaks excitedly and openly about other possibilities he’d like to make realities to fit his vision and to position his team for a spot in the playoff.

I’d be in favor of us and Pitt playing once in Pittsburgh (at Heinz Field) because it’s a big venue and because we’d have more people than they would,” Holgorsen said. “Us and Penn State in Philadelphia. If you can do a home-and-home, great. If you can’t, then do one game in a bigger venue. The home-and-home with (Virginia) Tech was already announced. A home-and-home with Virginia, or a neutral-site game with Virginia in (Washington, D.C.)?”

[Emphasis added.]

Now, this is where I’m supposed to get all offended and self-righteous over this kind of dickery.  Only I can’t. It’s just too damn funny that the same day this article gets published, this story as well.

Season ticket sales for West Virginia football games are down with less than a month to go before the start of the season.

Sports marketing director Matt Wells says WVU has sold 33,100 season tickets. More than 37,400 were sold last season, the Mountaineers’ first in the Big 12.

By all means. If the game is going to be at Heinz Field every year, let’s renew the Brawl.

Sounds ok to me, but I hate all those tractors clogging up 79 north.

Comment by Moe Greene 08.02.13 @ 3:54 pm

E I E I O

Comment by EMel 08.02.13 @ 4:25 pm

Tell Holgy to go pound salt. And I say that with a big smile on my face, not petty or offended.

Go enjoy Iowa State and Baylor.

We have one of the most exciting schedules we have had in years, and we will now have this every year being in the ACC. Adding PSU in a couple years, Notre Dame every few years, don’t need them.

Perhaps if we go 2-10 or 3-9 the next few years, maybe we’ll need them to get some fans.

As we build the program hopefully, no need.

I’d rather play Rutgers, UCONN or Maryland.
Grab someone from the American Conference (new Big East) or Conference USA or someone from another BCS conference.

Most excited I’ve been for Pitt football in years, and WVU isn’t on the schedule.

That tells me all I need to know.

Comment by Dan 08.02.13 @ 4:27 pm

Actually, they sound kind of desparate.

Comment by Dan 08.02.13 @ 4:27 pm

Let’s just leave those people in the rear view mirror, please.

Comment by BATR 08.02.13 @ 4:39 pm

Go F yourself WVU, that is, if none of your close relatives are handy to help you out with that.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.02.13 @ 4:41 pm

f$%^ no.!! keep the barn door CLOSED. Do not give them any games in this region and their recruiting is done …. hey we can even get them off the freak’n local papers as a special section in the sports page.

IMPERATIVE, strategically, that we never play WVU and hopefully anyone else.

FEW kids will go there knowing their only game is in dust bowls 1000 away where they run their a$$ off in a style of football that puts up 40+ points every game….

No life rafts… please!

Comment by Pittscript 08.02.13 @ 4:48 pm

Someone once said that the B12 wanted Pitt but Pitt said no. The B12 then took WVU over Louisville. Had WVU waited a little bit they might have gotten an ACC bid rather than Louisville.

What a merry go round.

Comment by Frank MD 08.02.13 @ 4:51 pm

@@@@@@
My point of view is play WVU. It appeared
that Luck hit the panic button when Pitt
and Cuse bolted. Playing in the big 12
makes no sense on any level. They
has to be upset when Louisville
for the call. Personally wish WVU rather
than Louisville was part of the ACC. Too
Late now. That said i am favor of playing
WVU. Always a great atmosphere and the
stadiums are always filled.
L

Comment by JR 08.02.13 @ 5:26 pm

I agree JR. Making ridiculous demands is the same shit peeps bitch about joe pa doing. It brings is to that level. I’d like to have confidence enough in my team to welcome a meeting with WVU. It’s one of the few games at Heinz that was worth goin to. It’s good for the city as well. I wouldn’t run from a meeting with WVU, that’s being a candy ass program. I say play em. I will be there

Comment by Taylor 08.02.13 @ 6:11 pm

A couple of comments in response to the article and the comments above. First I will always rather play Penn State home and away than WVU always at home. Second the ACC would have never taken WVU over Louisville. Louisville is just too good in too many sports.

Comment by John In South Carolina 08.02.13 @ 6:17 pm

I think we should play each other in Waco, TX.

Comment by wbb 08.02.13 @ 6:29 pm

Agree with the desperate comment Dan noted above! There is panic in the water at cheat lake and the life preservers are a bunch of juco transfers. They better enjoy a Bill and Mary snack cause a visit to the woodshed is scheduled in Norman for game #2. Don’t play wv in football ever! UPone

Comment by UPone 08.02.13 @ 7:20 pm

WVU. Nuff said. I’d make them keep spending money and traveling out over the Southwest. Hey Dana, how’s that working out for you all?

Comment by Pitt Fan In Atlanta 08.02.13 @ 7:27 pm

He is an ignorant ASS.

Comment by TX Panther 08.02.13 @ 8:44 pm

@JR good points, great opinion.

I myself would have loved WVU in the ACC, would have been a natural.

With where things are now though, I see no use for them.

Comment by Dan 08.02.13 @ 9:01 pm

By the way, I have always been consistent.

When PSU wanted a 2 for 1, I said “screw them”.

Now WVU wants a game, I say “screw them”.

LOL!!!

Comment by Dan 08.02.13 @ 9:03 pm

After that comment by Jimmy Buffett Holgerson, I agree with what Dr. Tom said.

Comment by Iron Duke 08.02.13 @ 9:14 pm

@Taylor, good opinion also, and I respect your opinion.

I feel it’s a little different though.

PSU wanted a 2 for 1 which is an insult. It has proven out to be an insult, as in the end, we are playing them 2 home 2 away and possibly more.

WVU made their move, which I understand their back was against the wall.

This is just not renewing the series. At least for awhile anyhow.

Frankly, after we get our checking accounts in order and maybe have a little cash, and seeing as our schedule is all relatively close, along the Eastern Seaboard, I’d like them to see about spending a little money, and play a UCLA or Cal or USC, or Washington, Air Force, BYU, someone out West and have a 2 home and home series.

Just opinions.

And we’re all different ages and have different reasons, PSU will always be my Pitt rival. WVU a rival, certainly, but not like PSU. I can appreciate others saying WVU is.

As for your comment about being there, if they would renew it, I certainly would be there also.

Now playing Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson and Miami, certainly not afraid of WVU one iota.

They got themselves on a little bit of an island right now, and I see no reason to throw them a life preserver.

That goes for hoops too.

Maybe in a few years, but right now, I’m more excited about the ACC and getting PSU back on the schedule.

Comment by Dan 08.02.13 @ 9:15 pm

@Iron Duke, yes, on top of my other thoughts, even though it may be true, the way Holgy said that makes me put up the middle finger.

He could have easily just said, “how about a game at Heinz Field”. That was definitely a shot, so, again, I say, “screw them”.

Comment by Dan 08.02.13 @ 9:17 pm

Freeze WVU out of the Western Pa recruiting by keeping them off the schedule forever. Obviously Pitt won’t be playing WVU during the next four years or they would have blocked Shell from transferring to WV (sit onr yr and 3 years eligibilty).
Finally any team that you can’t risk going to their field to play because of unruly fans should never be considered for your football schedule. May WVU R.I.P. in the B12 !

Comment by spindler's spirit 08.02.13 @ 9:24 pm

Guys, WVU has probably been our truest recruiting opponent and a team that went from being a lower level than us back in the day to consistently being superior once Nehlen? got rolling… and then Rich Rod..

PSU will always be PSU (hopefully diminished). OSU will be OSU…

WVU is our “peer” competition in WPA.

WVU is right in our ‘backyard’ and now they are just keeping their nose above the waterline …

… a bit of craziness from the HC…
… eat dust 1000 miles away for another season…
… go play 40+ point shooting matches and lose…
… No prospect of playing anywhere within hours of Morgantown…

… and these guys can be kicked back in time to before Nehlen as a football program.

so no life rafts!

“hey hillbilly, here… catch this (45lbs plate right the F%^& on top of the head…)”

… Bloop…

Comment by Pittscript 08.02.13 @ 11:18 pm

Couldn’t agree more with JR & Taylor..

This game needs be played. And hell, a “one off,” in the very least, is AOK by me.

This game (Backyard Brawl) is too important to dismiss. And, as said, it is a game that folks will always ‘wake up’ for.

I am Pitt CAS ’93. And whereas it was all about PSU back then — chime in, “P-E-N-N-S-T SUCKS” — there is now a lot more to play for when facing WVU. (The hatred is palpable when these teams matchup; PSU.. hmm.. not so much anymore.. (PSU arrogance neutralized the rivalry, and continued to drive the point where fans & alum nearly forgot the nostalgia of the meetings between the instate rivals).)

I say ditch State Penn Pedophilia University, in favor of WVU.

Dr. Tom’s reaction is wholly understandable. Mutually understandable are others who’ve argued (justly) to supplant the game with “anyone else but WVU.”

You see, I hope, that if we feel so strongly about capsizing the Mountainqueer program, then how better else to do so than playing them @Heinz on a yearly basis (as remarked by Chas, above)?

Give them a couple good losses to combine with BIG 12=10. Because even if we split the games 50/50 in a contracted four to six year time frame , it’s their loss, NOT OURS. And, really, I do not see Pitt under 50/50if the the series resumes.

The game has been just as heated -PITTv.WVU- & equally competitive as those in the tail-end years of PSU-PITT.

Last, I don’t give a hoot about PED UNIV these days. As stated, this is a program with a disgustingly arrogant fan base. So in in turn, I say, let PSU rot. That is, we should be shutting the “barn doors” on these folks belonging to, and tirelessly defending, an institution who’d shrugged its shoulders for a documented DECADE (and continue at it today) whilst little boys were raped by a true-to-the-word MONSTER in shower-rooms constructed by the university, and in the homes, hotels paid for by the university, in what was a traveling circus of perversity that was “tolerated” by said university.

I would MUCH RATHER continue the Backyard Brawl .

I’ve said it many times before: F PED STATE.

Comment by Neil 08.02.13 @ 11:38 pm

Holgerson’s comment about attendance just pisses me off. Yes Pitt attendance has not been great, but I’ve been to probably six WVU games at Heinz and never have WVU fans outnumbered Pitt fans, not even close.

He should worry more about his own attendance in Morganhole, which was awful last year after they got the $hit kicked out of them 3 weeks in a row.

I despise Holgerson more than I do the WVU program. Comments like that are baseless and classless. Honestly can’t imagine another coach in the country making a comment like that. Let them rot in in the Dust Bowl. I don’t care if we ever play them again, at least as long as Jimmy Buffett is their coach.

Comment by Iron Duke 08.03.13 @ 12:12 am

Neil…couldn’t disagree more. If we want to own western pa recruiting, we don’t play them. It’s just that simple. And don’t give me that bravado crap…use your head.

Comment by panther94 08.03.13 @ 12:20 am

Posted in direct reference @comment posted by friend, panther 94:

“Neil…couldn’t disagree more. If we want to own western pa recruiting, we don’t play them. It’s just that simple. ***And don’t give me that bravado crap…use your head.” ***
Comment by panther94 08.03.13 @ 12:20 am)

…JFCAM

Advice:
From this point fwd, at least, attempt prep yourself to approach comments — to any visitor-guest, regular — with response in an even-keeled, appropriate manner (prior to spouting off, that is).

The vast majority here @PittBlather make a conscious decision to uphold a code of conduct (ethics) in discourse.

The last thing this blog needs are a bunch of nimrods attacking one another with comments in the liking of “And don’t give me that bravado crap…use your head.”

Take that kind of talk to Panther’s Prey; the potshots there will keep you contented. Not here, though. This site was not built like that; to sustain garbage.

I have my slips of tongue, at times, sure. But I rarely regret what I say-do.

Grow up, son.

What a wonderful way to start one’s morning. Mercy !!

Comment by Neil 08.03.13 @ 5:50 am

Holgerson is running that program into the ground. Talk about recruiting issues…they have EIGHT JC transfers this year. That is an incredibly high number. I know getting JCs is more common with other programs and some will argue there are some benefits to it but I am not one of them. It is a band aid approach that catches up to you.

Comment by notrocketscience 08.03.13 @ 6:25 am

@@@@@@
Hologerson reminds me of Fraud. He will
bolt from Morgantown at the first
opportunity. He like Fraud is whore who
does not care about the place as Bill
Stewart.
To clarify we need home and home w/PSU
as it enhances recruiting. I am a traditionalist
so would like to play the Brawl also. As
someone mentioned it benefits the region
many levels.

Comment by JR 08.03.13 @ 7:51 am

This is a game that has tradition and obviously gets the juices flowing and most importantly fills the stadium. It is Nationally recognized as the Backyard Brawl.

WVU is always going to successfully recruit WPA, the game will have little impact on that.

When did we become PSU, thinking we are better than anyone? Over the last 30 years, they have been better than us on the field of play.

It will take some time to build emotional rivalries with our new foes. Don’t end a 100 year traditional rivalry ala Joe Paterno. We are bigger than that.

We should schedule WVU, PSU and ND as often as possible. If we are ever to be nationally relevant again, we need to sell out the stadium. Big players don’t want to play in front of 20,000 quiet “fans”.

Comment by gc 08.03.13 @ 9:11 am

Gc, well said.

Comment by HbgFrank 08.03.13 @ 9:25 am

@ Iron Duke, I like Jimmy Buffett, I’m going to see him in concert in a couple weeks, Buffett is a talented musician and a nice guy. Please don’t insult Mr. Buffett by referring to him in the same sentence with Holgorsen.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.03.13 @ 9:42 am

What’s probably going to happen is in years no Ped State and no ND, they’ll probably tinker with the idea of renewing the Brawl.

Whether we like it or not.

Since when does the Athletic Dept. give’s a rat’s ass what the alumni think (see Pitt Script).

Hey with all these extra million$ now due to the new ACC TV contract, they shouldn’t have to bother us with letters, phone calls, etc.

We should all stop contributing until we get Pitt script back and plans for a on-campus stadium.

Comment by EMel 08.03.13 @ 10:17 am

Oh and please don’t give me all the reasons why we can’t have an on-campus stadium.

For 6 Saturdays per year, the residents of Oakland can live with it. You know what you’re getting into when you move to(or live on) a college campus.

It’s totally absurd a college program with 9 National Championships and the storied history that PITT has…. is playing in a rental stadium, off campus ala….. Temple.

What a disgrace !

Comment by EMel 08.03.13 @ 10:28 am

Emel, you sound a little like the kid that is going to take his football home because his mates won’t let him play quarterback. Mason up man!

I like the script and I would love to have a stadium on campus, but our priority should be more competitive sports teams, with high quality kids that we can all be proud of.

Pitt is a big bureaucracy that is always frustrating to deal with. One of the most valuable things I learned while a student was you have to work the system, if you want to succeed.

They will continue to solicit you whether you donate or not, they are very good at it.

If you write a check for a million, we can have script back by season kick-off. A check for 300 million gets a campus stadium in five years.

Comment by gc 08.03.13 @ 10:46 am

By the way, if you take your ball home, the kids are still gonna play.

Comment by gc 08.03.13 @ 10:47 am

I don’t get the sense from most posters, and I can only speak for myself, that it’s a “we’re better than them”, ala, Penn State being arrogant and insulting towards us. (demanding a 2 for 1)

The vibe I’m picking up is not of arrogance or better than them attitude, but in joy, in being able to be a “dick” to a rival. LOL

Maybe it doesn’t have any effect on their W.Pa. recruiting, but for some reason, Holgy, Luck and Huggy Bear seem to be the ones pushing for these games in football and hoops.

Actually, again, only my personal opinion, but during the course of Expansionpalooza the past 3 or 4 years, I’ve always kept up with it pretty well, and reading all the articles I could find, and reading some message boards when big news came out pertaining to a certain team.

In the case of WVU, I would suggest the arrogance lies with them.

If I had to put a number on it arbitrarily, it would be north of 95% of WVU fans, when news came that they were going to the Big 12, on their message boards of…………..

“screw Pitt”,

“screw the ACC”,

“ha ha, we got the last laugh”,

“we’re gonna go play Oklahoma and Texas, F-Pitt”.

“we’re in a big boy conference, the hell with Pitt”

So, I say…..enjoy!!!

Comment by Dan 08.03.13 @ 10:50 am

Those that want to re-new the series, should take some joy in my thoughts on the subject.

Because whatever my thoughts are on Pitt, whether it be Pitt script, coaching, scheduling, logo’s on the fields and courts………

Pitt’s thoughts always seem to be different than mine.

So……I would imagine we’ll probably be playing WVU twice next year!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 08.03.13 @ 10:54 am

@neil, that wasn’t meant to be a personal attack at you.i’m sorry if it came off that way. I just feel passionate about the fact that we have a chance to get ahead in recruiting and we should take it. I’ll try to keep my emotions in check when I comment.

Comment by panther94 08.03.13 @ 11:24 am

Btw, Neil, I suggest you take a look at your response to me and take note as to how condescending it is.

Comment by panther94 08.03.13 @ 11:30 am

We need to be realistic about what really helps the Pitt program. All of the ‘rivalry’ stuff is not irrelevant just not the main point here.

When Pitt plays PSU we get a boost in our exposure and profile…. it’s just the way it is. If/when we beat Penn State we get big lift.

When we play WVU we get NOTHING. All we do is give them a life raft because they get the exposure in PA… and if they beat us they get a big boost among local kids.

Yeah F$%^ WVU and that is an emotional statement… but that come from cold, hard calculus that…

WVU is total screwed and they have no way out of the dust bowl, 1000 travel, hell… unless someone lets them out.

v. Tech already did the idiots… we would be completely stupid to assist.

at least this administration get this and will never play WVU soon.

they are destined to be the doormat of the B-12…

so no life rafts!

Comment by Pittscript 08.03.13 @ 1:01 pm

Recruiting strategy is important to rebuild. WVU had replaced Pitt in a lot of kids minds in Pa. until the current fiasco.Pitt is just showing signs of re-emerging.Let them play all the big12 ball they want half of which is where even their parents cant see them play (unless they are from Texas).I live outside Johnstown in Somerset Co.Some years ago ayoung promising quarterback came out of our H.S. was signed by the guy with the coke bottle glasses and sneakers like his brothers but PSU tried to convert him to LB.His mom said no and shopped him 1st to Pitt who said no thanks we got Dan. The next choice was WVU. It’s closer to Morgantown from a lot of sw PA.areas.( By the way the QB was Jeff Hostetler.)Pitt clothes are now Predominating in stores over WV again aroud here, kids are interested in Pitt over WV again for camps and recruiting. Lets not go back to losing that but keep doing the things that will help build Pitt football and let WV solve their own problems.

Comment by Lawrence garman 08.03.13 @ 1:46 pm

Caution to those who “never want to play them.” Penn State has only signed on for a 4-game series. Stevie’s double-talk on the issue should raise red flags concerning any long term agreements between us. The Big Ten is going to play a nine-game league schedule and PSU must have seven home games. Do the math.

If Stevie he had an extension beyond 4 games, he’d announce it.

There will be seasons with no Penn State and no Notre Dame. Sure, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, and Miami will be games to get fired up for if we’re competitive.

The fact that Holgorsen is offering a one-and-done shows how desperate the Hoopies are. It may in our best interest to grant them their request down the line.

Comment by TonyinHouston 08.03.13 @ 1:50 pm

The idea of shutting WVU out and thus shutting them out of the recruiting in SW PA… is totally valid. All their conference games are B12 and that is nowhere in the NE. So, they are gonna have problems getting players as well as fans.

Also, unless Chryst turns things around, right now we STINK and getting slammed by WVU in our home stadium, is not in our best interest.

As far as PSU is concerned, there was the Joe Pa 2 for 1 deal but with the agreement that is in place now, they come here FIRST. It is home and home but again, they come here FIRST. So, they must have come asking. PSU had a problem with no significant rivalries… and that is why they came asking, this while Joe Pa was still around. That might change come next year with Rutgers and Maryland on PSU’s schedule… so they might not care once they get to that, especially with just 3 non-conference games available.

Comment by Zaratoughda 08.03.13 @ 2:13 pm

Rutgers and MD will have a very hard time in B10. PSU has beaten MD like 25-1 and Rut will fare no better. PSU needs a rival that will give them a game. Pitt will.

WVU stuck in B12 and VT gave them help. WVU got B12 money and nothing else. WVU should also play MD and be happy.

Comment by Frank MD 08.03.13 @ 2:47 pm

No to the Hoopies. Now and forever. Now that I called them Hoopies, I suppose I will be referred for counseling. Damn.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 08.03.13 @ 3:13 pm

let’s see what happens this coming season recruiting wise… WVU was always good for picking off a few top kids in PA… I am going to be really surprised if kids go for WVU who have top options elsewhere.

in fact i wonder why the Florida QB transfer to them this year… I guess to play right away before he ends his eligibility.

I expect Holgy to blow a gasket as well which will be fascinating to watch.

Comment by Pittscript 08.03.13 @ 4:24 pm

Cincy, no longer on our football schedule, seems to be doing things the right way to keep an on campus stadium: link to news.cincinnati.com

Comment by TonyinHouston 08.03.13 @ 5:36 pm

Coincidentally, while reading about the Second World War, I learned that British night bombers named the Ruhr Valley, “Happy Valley.”

Comment by steve1 08.03.13 @ 5:40 pm

Creepy Valley and Morganhole are two places I’d like to avoid. I would love however to attend a game in Oakland before I pass to sweet Jesus. I’m doing my best to avoid Hell with Poopy Pants.

Comment by TX Panther 08.03.13 @ 6:23 pm

Dr. Tom…Holgerson looks like Jimmy Buffett’s long lost son. The resemblance is striking, hence the nickname. Enjoy the concert…

Comment by Iron Duke 08.03.13 @ 7:09 pm

@TonyinHouston, mentioned this earlier this week, and now seeing your link, here is another one.

University of Washington, Husky Stadium Renovation

link to washington.edu

Too bad we have to be talking in hindsight now, and that he and them didn’t have foresight back then.

Comment by Dan 08.03.13 @ 7:31 pm

p.s. they start play this fall.

Listening to guys talk on College Football station on Sirius, going to be a real jewel.

Less than two years to do. No public money. Department of intercollegiate athletics bonds.

250 million. They did get 50 million in donations and are doing a naming rights.

Didn’t use any public money or university funds.

Here I am hoping for a decent logo at the local pro stadium.

Yay!!!

Comment by Dan 08.03.13 @ 7:35 pm

panther94:
Thanks for your apology. But it means little given your immediate followup comment exactly six (6) minutes later.

“Condescending,” you say… LMAO!!

Dude, you were right the first time around. By all means, yes, you’d be wise to keep your “emotions in check.”

As suggested earlier, why don’t you gather your belongings and roll on over to Panther’s Prey. I think you’ll find a friend in JoeD. LOL

Comment by Neil 08.03.13 @ 9:17 pm

JR is right. Holgy bolts at the first opportunity. There are 31 head coaching changes in 2013, 28 in 2012. Watch attendance plummet in Morganhole this season.
No. Don’t do them any favors.

Comment by Sfpitt 08.03.13 @ 10:05 pm

How many potential recruits would really be swayed by seeing WVU come to town every other year? One or two, maybe, now and again? The argument that Pitt ought to steer clear of scheduling West Virginia because it’ll help boost their recruiting locally seems pretty flimsy.

Holgerson’s comments might be overstated and a little silly, but in general, Pitt really does have some attendance issues, and needs to find a way to generate more interest in the program. Rivalry games are great for doing just that. More local interest in the team and more people in the seats would probably boost Pitt’s recruiting prospects in the area more than they would WVU’s. I see recruiting as a great reason TO play the ‘Neers, rather than avoid them. You can sell the kids on the tradition:

‘Hey, come watch this fun rivalry game at Heinz Field called the Backyard Brawl that we’ve been playing for the last 80 years or whatever…you come to Pitt, you’ll have the chance to play in it, too. Wouldn’t that be pretty fun?’

Yes, yes it would, Coach Chryst. Where do I fax my signed letter of intent?

Comment by Jeff 08.03.13 @ 10:47 pm

This is a no brainer – play WVU. Especially if it’s a home game for us.

Let’s face it, Pitt fans are not going to show up for UNC, Duke, NC State, GaTech and the rest. They didn’t care to show up for Syracuse and BC when we played them every year, so our conference affiliation won’t change that. Maybe for Miami or FSU (if we have a chance at winning). But our own home fan attendance will not change much going from the Big East to the ACC.

And the ACC schools, with the exception of VaTech, are not coming here in droves to buy up all those empty yellow seats. None of them travel well for regular season games up north – only if the game is right down the road.

For Pitt to sell out Heinz field, we need to play PSU, ND or WVU. Even if you don’t count the away fans – Pitt fans, aside from the 45,000 or so solid season ticket holders, will only show up in person when we play our traditional big rivals – PSU, ND and WVU. We’d rather watch Pitt on tv than go to a game in person. It’s sad, but true.

Trying to shut WVU out of Western PA recruiting by not playing them? Ask Shady and Hynoski and McKillop and the rest of the PA stars we landed how not playing PSU impacted their decision to come to Pitt. WVU is still right on the PA border, and they will play 6 or 7 games within 70 miles of Pittsburgh every year. WPA parents are still going to like that. We might as well sell out our stadium and reap the financial benefits.

Not to mention it’s a great rivalry, and will be on national tv no matter how bad both teams are. Our games against The Citadel and CCAC will not.

This is a no brainer – play the Hoopies.

Comment by Patrick 08.03.13 @ 11:11 pm

Hey Neil, I think you violated your “code of ethics” by calling me a nimrod. You also referred to me as son. That is condescending. I’m not going to waste anyone else’s time on this blog by continuing this meaningless argument with you. But, I must point out that you are such a hypocrite, telling me to leave this blog. There’s no way you could come from the same great University as I do. See ya, Pops.

Comment by panther94 08.04.13 @ 12:15 am

Holgy sharing the love:
link to wralsportsfan.com

Comment by panther94 08.04.13 @ 1:00 am

Emel – it has been about 15 years now since the decision to tear down PITT stadium was made and up to this point, when the novelty certainly has worn off there, is no actual move to even discuss building a stadium on campus by those who would be the decision makers in the PITT administration.

Heinz Field is about halfway through what has becoming the normal shelf life of 30 years for this round of the new sports stadiums and all that has been floated so far are plans to keep the status quo.

The reasons for that, and the reason there has been no formal public dialog about this at all, is that no one but a some alumni, some ex-players and some message board posters even care about the issue at all. That might change in 10 years I suppose but every year that passes from the last game at PITT stadium is a lessening of people who attended games there or cared about it in the first place.

The argument that an on campus stadium would help recruiting may or may not be a valid point – I’ve heard a lot of recruits say they really liked the fact that we share facilities an the Southside and play in an NFL stadium. Beside, I think the PITT admin would factor that issue in at around #238 on the list of things they care about when thinking about building an stadium on campus.

The fact is that a lot of people associated with PITT enjoy the ease of access and watching the games at Heinz Field and are satisfied that the decision was a good one and that it is fine for the future also.

Playing at Heinz Field is so much easier for the PITT administration then the hassle of somehow completing the Herculean task of finding enough land, getting zoning changed by an already antagonistic City Council, getting the appropriate civil permissions, getting the huge funding needed and then maintaining an on campus stadium after it is built. All PITT has to do now is write a yearly check to the stadium authority and then sit back and watch the games being played there.

However, to play devils advocate for a moment, why has no one talked about moving the Southside athletic facilities up to above the Petersen Center, or anywhere else, and building a stadium on the land PITT already owns down there? That current land footprint is about 490 yds x 230 yds and could fit a smaller scale 50+K stadium in there, PITT really wouldn’t need all the interior bells and whistles that the Steelers had built into Heinz Field so they could size the outside dimension down.

The East Carolina football stadium backs right up to a RR line and that works out fine. Then PITT would have a beautiful riverfront stadium of its own with all the business, hotels, bars and restaurants the Southside has to offer. Then PITT could buy some adjacent land to expand for parking.

If PITT was serious about it the could build a pedestrian bridge across the river and have parking on the other shore if the could buy some small parcels from the Hazelwood LTV owners.

Comment by Reed 08.04.13 @ 4:20 am

I know a sure way to increase game day attendence, gain respect within the ACC, improve the national image of the football program and increase the success of our recruiting efforts.

It will take a monumental effort by those individuals most closely involved with the program and necessitates a “can do” attitude that won’t permit failure as an acceptable outcome.

It’s called WINNING! Once we start down that road to success watch all of those issues vaporize into oblivian.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.04.13 @ 8:53 am

It’s so much easier for this Pitt administration and this city council. All it takes is new leadership. Pitt will have that and a new AD shortly. I agree it will be Herculean but it all starts with a feasibility study instead of just talking about the possibilities. Let the facts be known. Why can’t this be started today? Pitt’s future is at stake. Other schools are maybe just a bit more proactive and motivated. We’ve seen that it can be done. And I think there is more support out there than you think. Best to begin building the sense of urgency today and getting prepared. But I realize this is somewhat out of character for the current athletic department and BOT.

Comment by TX Panther 08.04.13 @ 9:30 am

screw WVU i hope we never play them agein .

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.04.13 @ 11:23 am

Hmmmm…we’re running players off while Miami is embracing them and we play the Canes every year now
link to fannation.com

Just a thought…

Comment by TonyinHouston 08.04.13 @ 12:04 pm

Reed:
Your last post is sound. Heinz Field is just not that far from Oakland in a very compressed city like Pittsburgh. Miami students drive 30 minutes or so to Sun Life Stadium (or whatever they’re calling it now) and don’t show up unless the opponent is a big name. Pitt students can ride PAT or free school buses to and from games.

Oakland merchants get more home dates for the Pete and about twice the number of fans who used to attend games at the field house. Surely they are making some $$.

But part of Pitt’s problem is a football identity crisis. Pitt Stadium was not given a chance to survive. Nordenberg decided it must go and that was that. When students protested tearing down the stadium at a basketball game, they were ushered out. Nordenberg and Pederson refuse to allow even one football game with players in retro uniforms.

Dictators reap what they sow.

I’ve been to Heinz for Pitt games. Tried to keep an open mind. Just don’t enjoy it. As a blogger wrote on the PG website, stadium security is over zealous.

But the good news: The ACC has many on campus stadiums. Traveling to Durham for the Duke game is going to be a treat. Seeing Pitt play in Annapolis is always an uplifting experience. A real game day college experience. Just don’t get that rush sitting in a comfortable chair at Heinz.

Even when those of us who lived through the reincarnation of Pitt Stadium in the late 70s die off, Pitt will still have problems establishing its own identity at Heinz.

Winning would help tremendously, but what have you seen by the current administration and, more importantly, trustees that enables you to project Pitt will win consistently enough down the line to fill Heinz Field for each home game? That is if you are projecting it.

Comment by TonyinHouston 08.04.13 @ 12:24 pm

@Dr. Tom, that’s a novel idea!!!

While even in our hey day, we only sold out for PSU, ND, and WVU, when you consistenly went 11-1 and 10-2, there were always at least 45K to 55K people.

And, I mean actual bodies, not the S.S.S. head count, of somehow about 25K to 30K heads, but attendance announced of 53K.

(p.s. that has to be one of the most embarrassing things I’ve ever come across. Talk about an elephant in the room. Everyone knows it, down to the teenagers in the stands who can estimate a head count).

By the way, it’s called attendance, not tickets sold.

If there’s only 25K of us, then friggin announce that!! Don’t embarrass yourself further.

But, I digress.

Start winning 9, 10, 11 games every year, flirt with and get an ACC championship game consistently, and become a permanent member of the top 25 rankings.

You won’t see nearly as many yellow seats.

So simple, and yet so true. Seen over and over again in every sport known to man.

Just win baby!!!

Comment by Dan 08.04.13 @ 12:32 pm

I think that Heinz Field is a first rate football stadium. The problem is not so much that the stadium is off campus, it is that we lose a lot of the home field advantage because other teams come in there all jacked up to be playing at an NFL stadium. Call it the law of unintended consequences.

I think the ship has sailed for an on campus stadium at Pitt. But near the campus – maybe a few decades from now after Heinz has become an “old dump”. One area I think about is the land that is immediately off of the Oakland Exit of 376. The only thing I see there is urban blight. I don’t know if a stadium could be put there logistically, but it would be close to campus and be directly off of a major road.

Comment by HbgFrank 08.04.13 @ 12:51 pm

Ahhh, the Bucco’s! Can’t help notice they’re wearing the 71′ uniform. Looks fantastic.

Wouldn’t call it a throwback though. I’ve always considered a throwback, a one and done for the season. At least, that’s what the NFL started doing a few years ago.

No, actually, they’ve worn it quite a bit this year. Doesn’t even look like a throwback now, it’s just part of their uniform line up.

Probably selling a ton of merchandise, and probably making a lot of fans happy.

Things that make you go, hmmmmm.

Those crazy people at Buccoland!! Who would have ever thought of such nonsense!!!

Comment by Dan 08.04.13 @ 1:52 pm

Hoopies are desperate for credibility within 1000 miles of Mo-Hole. We don’t need them defacing our schedule. Period! H2P!

Comment by Panther Fan in Hoopieland 08.04.13 @ 5:14 pm

Not to mention those fellas in tuxedos over at the Consol.

Pulling out the old blue a few years back, so popular that during the regular season, they were those jerseys as often as the black and gold.

Probably have made millions off the idea.

Those crazy Penguinos and their flying machines!!!

Comment by Dan 08.04.13 @ 7:10 pm

The Steelers and Pitt lack atmosphere and home field advantage in my opinion and here is why. There are too many fans spending time out of their seats and inside watching on tv, in cushy seats, out of the weather. There are thousands of fans watching from the comfort inside the stadium.

I am embarrassed to admit this but I went shopping at a Lowe’s of all places and they were selling “art” with college football stadiums depicted during games. OSU and PSU were full. Pitt/Heinz was half full and to make it worse, it was being sold at clearance pricing. Embarassing.

Pitt does not have a football brand and that is on the AD.

I stick with my thoughts about wvu when they joined their new conference. They are on an island, leave em there. It’s not worth it from a strategic standpoint. PITT lacks strategic thinking in their AD. The mission of the university is about the collegiate experience, not a professional experience at Heinz, being masked as a collegiate experience. I do want an on campus stadium for that reason! A stadium allows for traditions. Pitt lacks traditions that are recognizable. Period.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 08.04.13 @ 7:35 pm

The Petersen defines Pitt BB. Heinz defines the Steelers. Pitt stadium defined Pitt.

I will always remember my first and last games at Pitt stadium. I remember the 76 Pitt – PSU game and asked myself what am I doing here at Three Rivers stadium.

Comment by Frank MD 08.04.13 @ 9:12 pm

As someone pointed out, we only filled Pitt stadium when PSU, ND or WVU came to town… so I don’t think it is Heinz Field that is the problem.

The problem, is Heinz Field is not all that accessible for people coming from out of town… at least not like PSU’s stadium and any school out there in the country.

Then, with the TV these days, you never know when a game is gonna start until a few weeks before it happens. No noon start every home game (or whatever the time was) like it used to be.

Then of course you are competing with the Steelers for attention… not gonna win that one even if we are doing real well and they are having a down year.

The only thing that I can think of that Pederson might do to get some good attendance, is to do something with the hour before the game. Maybe a MAJOR effort at supporting tailgating. Maybe have some good entertainment for the hour before the show. Maybe have the three stooges running up and down the field. Maybe have the Burger King running around in tights and people trying to tackle him (lol).

SOMETHING… keep at it until you find something that works and start getting the attendance.

Otherwise, yeah it is REALLY embarrassing to turn on a Pitt game and see ALL those empty seats.

Comment by Zaratoughda 08.04.13 @ 10:36 pm

@Zaratoughda, you, sir, need to be posting a lot more often!!!

The Burger King running around in tights and people trying to tackle him!!! LMAO!!!

First, very funny.

Second, then thing was really creepy when they used him awhile back. The first commercial with the Ravens, was excellent. One of the best commercial ever.

Then he started showing up in peoples bedrooms and stuff, started to become more of a creepster.

Funny stuff guy!!!

Comment by Dan 08.04.13 @ 10:41 pm

Panther94:
You are welcome, son.
Supposing you follow-through with your self advice to keep “emotions in check.” (It’s just bad business.)
You’re evidently a very sensitive guy, so I’ll put your comment in the past.
Keep coming back, seriously. You are Alum and, as indicated, “very passionate.”
I share the same passion. However when it comes to Pitf. Football, it’s important to take things in stride — fans & Alum have been continuously disappointed and hopefully that will change at some point. But to get your panties all in bunch over recruiting WPA, is just ridiculous, as mentioned by many mediately above.
I called you “son” because you have some maturing to do, it seems. C’mon, sir, it was plain childish.
Looky, I have followed this blog since 2003-2004, and rarely make comment these days; I chiefly “read” Chas’ blog; PittBlather far surpasses any other site out there.
So, friend, when I do in fact choose to chime in, I do so with purpose. Not with trouble in mind.
Sure, your comment was a “mistake.” And I will treat it as such. So get over it. Sincerely.

Comment by Neil 08.05.13 @ 12:12 am

Zaratougha, if Heinz is not accessible to out-of-towners, then what does make a stadium in Oaklnad?

Otherwise, I agree

Comment by wbb 08.05.13 @ 6:26 am

I just took another look at that South facility site.

link to goo.gl

PITT could tear down the indoor practice facility, which is just a big empty box anyway albeit a great practice venue, and that would give a new stadium a total of a parking footprint of at least 297 yds x 100 yds to the NW of the UPMC Sports Complex.

According to my non-engineer calcs that is enough space for 1,055 cars x four per car average and that’s 4221 people. That is using 172 cars per acre of space (thanks Ask.com). Throw in another 963 spaces (3,852 people) in the existing lot at the East end of the Great Allegheny Passage foot bridge (Hot Metal Bridge) available in easy walking distance. That is a total of 2,018 spaces so that right there is 8,073 people who could drive in and walk to the stadium.

Throw in all the existing parking garages and lots on the Southside and that is four big garages right in the Southside itself and two on either side of the East end of the Hot metal Bridge. I’ll bet that is another 6,000 spaces at least (24,000 persons) for a total of about 32,000 people who could drive in and walk to a game.

The walking distance from that East bank lot to the new stadium is 1305 yards or .6 miles, as compared to the walking distance from Downtown parking (South base of 7th Street bridge) to Heinz Field is 1610 yards or .9 miles, and a lot of fans do that. So, .3 miles shorter.

I’m not sure how parking spaces are going to be left at Heinz Field after the Rooneys and the City are through with all their building but I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up less than what would be available above.

Add the numerous Port Authority bus lines that go there and then designated Park and Rides outside the area and you have the transit and parking systems solved.

This would make the Southside a true central and viable part of PGH and would bring lots of $$$ to the local businesses.

See – I’m not anti-new stadium, just anti- new stadium on the current Oakland campus.

Comment by Reed 08.05.13 @ 7:18 am

Here is a map of the East side of the Hot Metal Bridge.

link to goo.gl

Comment by Reed 08.05.13 @ 7:19 am

Reed, have you ever seen the Bate St exit at rush hour? How about a mass of people traveling via Carson St to the practice facility?

Do you know there is no direct exit from 279N or 28 to either Carson St or 2nd Ave?

Oakland is much easier accessible than the practice facility

Comment by wbb 08.05.13 @ 7:40 am

I realize that most yinzers consider a 10 mile drive a 3 day journey but that fact is that Heinz Field is practically on campus. I could understand arguments if Heinz was by the airport or deep in the Eastern suburbs but it isn’t. Driving to old Pitt Stadium was a huge pain and to what end? So you could walk down to the “O” or go to the bookstore to buy a sweatshirt? Tailgating was terrible.

The Pitt script is dead. Get over it. Go read Who moved my Cheese then jerk off to the Marino poster in your garage.

Why would we even consider playing WVU? Why would we lower ourselves to play those morons? So we can compete for the 3 recruits that come out of the WPIAL? How about playing a non-con in SEC land or an area where there is actual talent to recruit?

Holding onto the past has gotten us into this mess. Move forward.

Comment by Yeti 08.05.13 @ 8:40 am

Well said dhuffdaddy. And all that dies can be resurrected. Just wait for a new AD once his protector retires.

Comment by TX Panther 08.05.13 @ 9:05 am

The past connects us to the present and helps chart our future. Please respect it.

Comment by TX Panther 08.05.13 @ 9:08 am

Just because it’s change, doesn’t mean it’s good change. There is just as much bad change as good change.

Change, for change sakes, without a plan, is poor change.

Bad change needs to be rectified.

Afterall, we are all not mice.

Comment by Dan 08.05.13 @ 9:18 am

Why the needless banter about a new stadium? Has it even been PROPOSED by any single human being who works at Pitt and could start the ball rolling? Not to my knowledge. Pitt will be playing at Heinz for at least the next 40 years. Time to move on.

As for the original point of this post, I’m all for Pitt playing the Hoopies wherever and whenever. College sports is all about atmosphere on game-day and if you tell me you are going to get as pumped up about Duke as you are about WVU then I have a hot metal bridge to show you.

Comment by Bobby 08.05.13 @ 2:38 pm

TX Panther – I wouldn’t hold my breath that SP will be gone after the chancellor retires – golden parachute or not.

There is just as much chance that a new chancellor would not support athletics as much as Nordenberg did and perhaps Nordenberg wants a established AD to ensure things stay at least Status Quo.

Comment by Reed 08.05.13 @ 9:24 pm

Aw, Holgerson’s just jealous because we got pertier mouth…wait…no, no, we don’t. No no no.

Comment by Shawn 08.05.13 @ 9:38 pm