February 26, 2013

Sort of Rebounding Against the Johnnies

Filed under: Basketball — Chas @ 8:19 am

A day late but the football schedule stuff pushed things out.

Well, Travon Woodall did. It was a little different for the rest of the team. Lamar Patterson snapped out of his funk in the second half. Steven Adams had a great first half, but disappeared in the second. Talib Zanna… /sigh.

You could see from the opening miss by St. John’s that Pitt had put a re-emphasis all week on rebounding. Specifically, everyone better rebound. Multiple Pitt players were around the basket on every shot by the Red Storm.

Lamar Patterson said Pitt placed a premium on rebounding drills following losses to Marquette and Notre Dame in which the Panthers were beaten on the boards by margins of nine and 15, respectively. The focus was on boxing out and being aggressive, given that Pitt has found that winning the rebounding battle is a formula to its success. Even so, St. John’s finished with a 39-38 edge, including 15 offensive to Pitt’s 11. “In all of our losses, coach gave us a number like negative-eight on the rebounding margin,” Patterson said. “Numbers don’t lie. When we win, we usually outrebound teams. We didn’t do it (Sunday), but that’s usually the outcome, so we want to put the emphasis on rebounding.”

It helped St. John’s offensive rebounding in the second half that they shot only 26% (7-27) including 0-8 on 3s — providing plenty of long rebounds as Pitt crashed the glass.

St. John’s did little with 11 second half offensive rebounds, since they offset the extra chances with 9 turnovers in the second half. St. John’s slowly unraveled with every miss. With every frustrating chance on offense where Pitt’s defense gave them no space. It’s what you do to a young team. You make them impatient. Frustrated. Careless.

The story of the game was Travon Woodall. So many games against St. John’s I can remember seeing the NY/NJ guys struggle badly. They so much want to show everyone back home their game. Woodall didn’t have that problem. Despite distractions.

Woodall was honoring his grandmother, Elizabeth Ratliff, who has been hospitalized for the past 10 days with stroke-like symptoms. A 5-foot-11 guard, Woodall put his worries to the side for two hours and played one of the best games of his career in Pitt’s 63-47 Big East Conference beat-down of the Red Storm, scoring a season-high 25 points before 9,129 fans, including many family members who welcomed a distraction from their family ordeal.

“My grandma is very sick,” Woodall said after the game. “I played for my grandmother.”

Woodall was 8 for 14 from the field, 4 for 7 from 3-point range, and had 2 assists, 2 steals and 0 turnovers in 31 minutes. He scored 15 of his points after halftime when the Panthers had to battle back after St. John’s took one-point leads twice in the early stages of the second half.

“He was terrific in every way,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said. “Every shot he took was a good shot. I can’t say enough about how well he played. I don’t think he took a bad shot or made a bad pass. That says a lot, playing 31 minutes.”

After the game he talked of playing “fearless.” I, for one, was filled with fear as he got knocked down, kneed in the head and generally showed little regard for the safety of his body at points in this game. I know that is how he plays, and he is at his best when he is that way. Still, Pitt really can’t afford to lose him.

Also related to Woodall, check out this piece on Woodall still being tight with his high school teammates. It also gives me a chance, once more, to highly recommend catching “The Street Stops Here.”

Lamar Patterson and Talib Zanna started this game playing as badly as they did in the Notre Dame game. The difference was that Patterson responded to getting yanked early, and being on a short leash.

In a first half that saw him play only 11 minutes, Patterson committed 4 turnovers, took only a couple shots and just looked completely out-of-sorts. In the second half, he came back strong. 3-4 shooting, 5 rebounds, a couple steals. I don’t want to say a different player. Just the one we had seen up until the past week.

Zanna. Well, Zanna is a mess. He’s got no confidence in his game. He looks completely lost out there. This is the same kid who exploded against Georgetown. Who had made huge strides this season. But now looks so regressed. It has to be mental. Since he started his shooting slump, everything else has been getting worse. He only played 4 minutes in the second half.

Unfortunately there isn’t a lot that can be done for him. He has to get it figured on the fly, because he is still needed. The rotation isn’t deep enough in the frontcourt. He’s still a better defender and presence out there at the 4 than J.J. Moore or even Dante Taylor. The latter actually got some minutes at the same time with Adams. Taylor is not a four. Period.

Like so many other teams in not just the Big East, but in the top-25, this Pitt team is given to huge fits of inconsistency. We will see what team shows up on Wednesday.

IU must be acting as a bubble conduit for these Big Joke bubble teams.

Minnesota had been reeling….losing 8 of their last 12 games and getting destroyed in their last 2 games by Ohio Fake 45-71 and an average Iowa team 51-72.

Now both Minnesota & Illinois, NCAAA bubble teams have signature wins against #1 Indiana, pretty much assuring them of NCAA bids.

And making the Big Joke another $500,000 to a Million dollars.

Nah you don’t think……lol

Comment by EMel 02.26.13 @ 10:51 pm

Pedo State might go winless in the Big Joke

0-14 to date….lol

They should only play women’s basketball. And of course…..hide the soap in the boys shower stall.

Comment by EMel 02.26.13 @ 10:54 pm

EMel:

After last season’s fiasco with Cinci, Xavier jetisoned 2 of its troubled players (Lyons & Wells). It seems that Coach Mack is trying to salvage the teams reputation.
Arizona took Lyons. I lost respect for Coach Miller because of this.

Comment by xfmrman 02.26.13 @ 10:54 pm

Here’s a thought, maybe JR has been laying low so he can spring up in the tournaments and take other teams by surprise. If IU can be laying down to let other B10 teams make the tourney, anything is possible.

Comment by Pitt Dad 02.26.13 @ 11:33 pm

I agree with Dan 72. Taylor was a natural strong forward coming out of high school whose assets were his athleticism and quickness off his feet. Criticism had to work on his offensive game. Recurited by Pitt to play 4.
OPPS could not recruit a center since McGhee. This was inexcusable since McGhee was no big recruit out of school and there had to be many 6’10” legitmate centers who could have been McGhee’s equal (not very difficulut/build them up to 270 put them in the middle and tell them to keep their body between their man and the basket).
Instead Taylor is force to put on 20 pounds that lead to tendenituis, back problems, and most importantly the quickness he had coing out of high school.
To add insult to injury coaches this year could of had him lose 15 pounds and see if despite his chronoic injuries incurred over 3 years would regain enough of his former attributes to play 4 with Adams at 5.
He could still play the 5 as a backup based on his experience; he may have been better from the beginning even at the 5 with the initial quickness rather than attempting to make a McGhee clone of him. His body obviously could not carry the extra weight.
Water under the bridge but what if he never had to mave to the 5 with Adams here now. This is not implying he may have been overated in high school as most of the strong forwards are but my quess he would have been one of the better rebounding 4 in the big east and perhaps a double figure man off garbage baskets.

Comment by pittisit 02.27.13 @ 1:13 am

Be warned: This is written by Gottlieb.

link to cbssports.com

Comment by xfmrman 02.27.13 @ 2:13 am

Good info, pittisit, and once again reinforces my criticism of hoe many of Dixon’s players have to play out of position out of necessity. However, that doesn’t go for Adams … if he stays, I have little doubt that he will be one of the best 5s at this time next year

Comment by wbb 02.27.13 @ 7:27 am

BTW, how come I don’t remmeber this guy

link to triblive.com

Comment by wbb 02.27.13 @ 7:27 am

Has Pitt ever caught fire in the Big Dance? That’s why but there is hope that this year it will finally be different. I like Pitt’s chances if they are a 5 seed. Any seed higher, will be tough to get to the Sweet 16.

Comment by TX Panther 02.27.13 @ 7:37 am

Congratulations to Pitt recruits Tyler Boyd and Terrance Webb in their Clairton ” neighborhood” b-ball win over the Lincoln Park “all star” team.

Comment by alcofan 02.27.13 @ 7:40 am

@wbb – because he played in the days when the fb jersey said “PITTSBURGH”

Comment by Pitt Dad 02.27.13 @ 8:06 am

alcofan, don’t forget Titus Howard who had 19 pts

Comment by wbb 02.27.13 @ 8:41 am

Xfmrman – thanks for the link, maybe the only smart/interesting thing to ever come out of Gottlieb.

Love the Sendek idea. He is a good coach, very smart, knows how to attract/develop too notch players (James Harden) and knows the ACC.

Went to the Montour – Mars game last night. Montour has a 6’3 guard, Devin Wilson, who Pitt should consider. He is lightning quick, but plays under control. He has what Pitt is missing, someone who can break down the defense off the bounce. Jamie would love his ability to take care of the ball, no turnovers.

I hope Josh Newkirk has that kind of skill set.

One of the main reasons Pitt struggles in the post season is that they need to rely on screens, player movement and passes to get shots. When defenses really care, they can make it hard for Pitt. At some point, you have to be able to beat someone off the dribble, force the defense to move and either get to the hoop or find an open guy. Pitt hasn’t had that kind of player.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 02.27.13 @ 8:50 am

Devin Wilson is a enigma. He is a 3 star rated WR who has produced major numbers at Montour yet received no major offers.

He is allegedly on Pitt’s radar in BB but no offer as yet, but will no doubt play D1 BB

Comment by wbb 02.27.13 @ 8:58 am

He is painfully skinny, smallish frame. That could be the issue?

Comment by Boubacar Aw 02.27.13 @ 9:07 am

I always thought that Dixon recruited Taylor as a 5 and always saw him as a 5. I used to think Taylor is a 4, but I don’t think he shoots well enough and is quick enough to be a 4.

I have to hate the Sendek idea. If you include this year as a NCAA tournament appearance, he’s only made it 2 out of the last 7 years. He’s only made the Sweet 16 once. I don’t think it really matters though. First, Dixon has already turned down USC in the past. Gottlieb always hates Pitt by the way. His article might as well be written by one of us. Second, even if Dixon leaves, I think there is no way that Sean Miller turns down the opportunity to lead Pitt into the ACC.

Comment by Wardapalooza 02.27.13 @ 9:12 am

I meant to say *His article might as well be written of us because it is based on absolutely no real facts or inside information.* Sounded like I was saying we hate Pitt at first.

Comment by Wardapalooza 02.27.13 @ 9:14 am

Wardapalooza:
My point with the warning: Gottleib hates Pitt and is a jack-ass with a bunch of manure spewing from his mouth. But, maybe I am being too harsh;).

I disagree that Coach Miller would return to Pitt. He has a plum job @ AZ. Top notch facilities, easy recuiting, weather, and a truly elite program in a conference that he should be at the top of every year (Unless UCLA can get its act together).

Comment by xfmrman 02.27.13 @ 9:28 am

The only game that exists is the next game and that means USF.
I am not looking just for a win or even a big win ala DePaul.
I am looking to see if Pitt challenges itself and works on weaknesses or just enagages in a puss fest where it falls back on what it did well in game 15 to beat a team it can beat in its sleep.

No reason for emotional letdowns or stuff like that.
Zanna must play like he has nothing to lose. Adams can’t resort to relying on his height. Work the post and use your body.
Robinson, Moore and Patterson must take open jumpers.
You don’t get many games like this late in the season so you have to use it as a clinic for humgry dogs.

Comment by sfpitt 02.27.13 @ 9:28 am

Taylor doesn’t have the upper body strength for a 5 or the quickness to be a 4, but he was definitley thought to be a 4 when he came out of high school. Due to the fact that he was overweight when he arrived and that Blair left early, he was groomed for the 5.

I still contend that if he didn’t have to gain/maintain weight, and in fact lost some, he would have been a much productive 4 than what he is as a 5.

Comment by wbb 02.27.13 @ 9:28 am

sfpitt is right. Cannot look past this game.
Even with Noriega being out, USF is still an expeinced team that has decent size.
Remember last season. Pitt had two chances to beat them, and could not.

Comment by xfmrman 02.27.13 @ 9:48 am

experienced*

Comment by xfmrman 02.27.13 @ 9:49 am

xfmrman, you aren’t being too harsh with Gottleib. I got your warning but I was just adding to your warning. I realize the Arizona job is really good. But you only have one home. He’s not just from Pittsburgh, he was a star at Pitt. Lots of people can’t get enough of the Burgh. Coach Calipari really pushed hard to be coach at Pitt and he could have gone anywhere.

wbb, gotcha about Taylor. I remember reading how people thought Dixon was crazy for wanting Taylor to play at the 5 when he started, but I must have confused it.

Comment by Wardapalooza 02.27.13 @ 9:52 am

Hadn’t been reading lately but was surprised the Dixon leaving talk was started again and just read Gottleib article.
He makes a bad assumption right from the start: ” But my view is that Pitt will never be able to overtake North Carolina or Duke as a consistent top dog in that league.” Maybe that is his view but I am sure that is not Dixon’s view and even if it becomes true he isn’t going to bail before he tries…also you could say the exact same thing about USC never being any better than UCLA and Arizona.

And I’ve said before Dixon is more Pittsburgh than he is Southern Cal any more..he’s benn here 14 years and both is kids were born and here and only know Pittsburgh.

But here’s a race nobody is talking about..ALL TIME BEST PERCENTAGE COACH IN BIG EAST HISTORY..is a battle between Dixon and Boeheim. Since both are leaving the leader at end of they year is going to hold this distinction for quite a while.
Conference Regular Season and Championship Games combined as of February
26, 2013

JAMIE DIXON, PITT 124 65 .656 10
Jim Boeheim, Syracuse 411 217 .654 34

3rd place is John Thompson at .653

Comment by milobloom 02.27.13 @ 10:14 am

Gottlieb is just an idiot troublemaker always trying to put the screws to Pitt.

I barely remember the name Matt Morgan. Started four years and played in the NFL. Congrats to him, he should have got more press locally, oh yeah, like that’s a priority. Positive news about a Pitt player doesn’t make the list for the Post or Trib, from Plum Boro to boot.

Tonight’s game is just the kind that we have lost so many times. If we win, we’re supposed to if we lose the vitriol is back, and rightfully so, good teams put the hammer down. We will probably play to their level and hopefully squeak out a win. amazing that we are 5 and 5 vs. S FLA.

One positive about this team, although we have lost some at home, we are much better on the road than other years. Let’s hope it continues at Tourney Time.

As far as Taylor, I agree, He never got skilled enough with his back to the basket. Always better with a running start. Still don’t think he would have played at the next level, but would have had more success twenty pounds lighter. Unfortunately centers are tough to come by and somebody had to play the 5. Turns out he is a great kid, a real team player. Let’s hope he takes advantage of his Pitt education and has a successful life. As a senior he has contributed this year and provided leadership which was sorely missed last year.

Comment by gc 02.27.13 @ 10:15 am

Emel ,You are writing off Zanna way too soon.He is a big body 6’10” and he can actually shoot 17’footers.He is also a reasonably capable foul shooter.He has long arms and should be scoring 15 pts. a game cleaning up garbage after Adams.The problem is Adams is taking shots like he is at the doctors,NO THANKS HERE YOU TAKE IT.He needs to use his superior size and strength to force teams to defend low.Instead we get a pass around folly that not only looks stupid ,it doesn’t work.Zanna needs to hang around and clean up after the 10 missed shots Adams should be generating.Our guards need to learn to lob,give Adams and Zanna the ball above the shoulders so they can go straight up,it isn’t rocket science.I am amazed at how bad our offensive pattern is.The most amazing part is that we still win a lot of games anyway.Other than Georgetown,Syracuse,and Depaul we haven’t played well in any games this year.This team has the potential to murder teams inside and instead runs the dumbest looking offense I have ever seen.If they ever catch on to the simplicity of the lob-force-follow mindset on offense we will dominate.Short of that I don’t see any hope of climbing out of the inconsistant, sloppy looking,mess we call an offense.The good news is we are actually very good at D,and we turn the ball over less than most of Dixon’s teams.Another peculiar thing about these guys is they are afraid to foul.I think we should be the exact opposite.I could live with Taylor fouling out of every game,Zanna too.If we physically pounded some of these guys they wouldn’t be so frisky come crunch time.We are falling prey to this concept by depending on Woodall too much.How many more times can he knock his head on the floor and still be effective?When you have a size and strength advantage and don’t use it you look like a pussy.Apologies for the sexist verbage,but that is the exact mindset this team needs to adoptand soon.

Comment by spiritofsection22 02.27.13 @ 10:16 am

Spirit,
RE: Fouling
I could not agree more. The front court has 16 fouls to give (I do not count the 5th). Opponents should pay for entering the paint. Either block the shot or give a HARD (clean) foul.
The only draw-back is that Pitt’s opponents shoot well from the line (especially Villanova).
But, forcing a player to pick himself up off-of the floor to “earn” it wears on a team.
When Cooley dunked after Zanna lazily swatted at the inlet pass, while Zanna just watched, brought me out of my seat and skin.

Comment by xfmrman 02.27.13 @ 11:06 am

X,I don’t think Zanna is very smart.I don’t think he is lazy,lacks talent,lacks heart,lacks toughness,or any other form of failure.I think he lacks intelect and that is why he looks so bad so often.I am not an authority just a seasoned and close observer.Even though he is a 4th year junior I still hold out hope that he will have a lightbulb go off one day.Maybe I am only dreaming but I think he is a perfect bookend for the smart Adams.If Adams would become a selfish ballhogging force the ball to the hoop type not only would he score 15+ a game Zanna would too,simply cleaning up the garbage.These guys are as big and strong as any front pair in the country.I ask the question,why are they not feared by our opponents?We play 3 games in a row that make very little diference.I think it is high time for these two in particular to send a post season warning out.We are big and mean and it hurts to get in our way.Villanova didn’t play half as tough after Krauser poked that kids eye out in the garden,and I don’t think we have anything to lose by getting nasty.This team isn’t going anywhere significant without a mood swing.

Comment by spiritofsection22 02.27.13 @ 11:46 am

Maybe Jamie will find a surprising “go to” guy next year.

Tyler Boyd hit the game-winner last night as Clairton pulled the upset against the defending Class A champs.

What can you say? Playmakers are playmakers.

Just kidding about Boyd playing two sports.

But expecting him to make an immediate impact in the fall both as a wideout and also out of the backfield where finding some speed has to be a major priority if the team is going to compete with the likes of FSU.

Comment by PittofDreams 02.27.13 @ 11:49 am

Gottlieb is stating his opinion. The reality is the Pitt does more with less than UConn and Syracuse in the Big East. In all probability that will also be the case with North Carolina and Duke in the ACC. Over the years Jamie Dixon has consistantly accomplished more with less than anyone else in the business. To his critics who say that Pitt has under achieved, I respond to the contrary, that they have made the very most of the talent they have had. In other words, they’ve over achieved. I don’t think they will change, because Pitt is not North Carolina or Duke and I don’t expect that Jamie will be putting 4 or 5 McDonald’s All-Americans on the floor any time soon.

Comment by Justinian 02.27.13 @ 12:02 pm

JUST, Your points are valid.We better hope he doesn’t put too many MacDonald’s types on the floor because those that he have gotten haven’t done squat.Duke and NC don’t recruit, they invite. It is to Dixon’s credit that we are competitve at all. In fact how do the Dukies and Tar Heels ever lose.With the talent that they attract they are the underacheivers.

Comment by spiritofsection22 02.27.13 @ 12:11 pm

I’m interested to see how Jamie-Ball (a direct descendant of Ben-ball) plays in the ACC. I have a feeling not nearly as tolerated as in the BE.

Jamie may indeed to be forced to recruit all of the McD’s as he is able to.

Comment by wbb 02.27.13 @ 12:19 pm

Gottlieb is filling word space. He is thinking this thinking that. Dixon is hopefully at Pitt until he retires.

I like him as a coach and man.

Comment by Frank MD 02.27.13 @ 12:19 pm

Very good point Spirit. I was watching Marquette vs. Syracuse the other night, and could not help but wonder how it is that Syracuse ever loses a game. That team is loaded with long, athletic, very skilled players. Yet, Marquette won the game playing “Jaime Ball”. They just out worked Syracuse.

Comment by HbgFrank 02.27.13 @ 12:21 pm

Spirit, I have to disagree with you. I think you are way off base saying Zanna isn’t smart. I think it is all toughness and balance. In his first two years I never saw a big man on the ground as much as him. Part of it is because he is new to the physicality, part of it is because some guys just don’t have the balance and natural ability to keep their feet underneath them.

Some guys are like cats that always land on their feet. I don’t think he likes the physical contact or understands the use of leverage. He is not nonathletic, but certainly does not have the natural instincts of many players.

The fact that he has so few assists is an indicator that he does not understand or have a feel for the flow of the game. If anything he is thinking too much and the game has not slowed down for him as it seems it has for Adams. It may be in his head, but it has nothing to do with intelligence. He needs to play with an edge, he needs to play angry, he needs to assert his manhood, it may not be in him.

Everyone has their limits. Chevy Troutman was a most physical basketball player. But when he tried out for the NFL, he didn’t have the stomach for the violence. Is it a sign of intelligence to not want to take a beating? Most would say yes.

Some guys have a mean streak. When DeJuan dumped Thabeet, the play was over, he didn’t have to toss him. He did it to assert his manhood. Some guys are just hard cases, Ty Cobb comes to mind.

Comment by gc 02.27.13 @ 12:26 pm

We beat the Dukies on a neutral court the last time we played. Too much freshman Blair and the trump shot by his little buddy Feilds.One of my top 5 Pitt hoops memories all time.I can’t wait to play the Tar Heels.They are among the worst coached teams in college hoops.If Dixon had half that much talent in Oakland we would have won the national championship by now.The only thing I don’t like about going to the ACC is I will miss playing UConn and the West byGod Virginia hoopies.

Comment by spiritofsection22 02.27.13 @ 12:41 pm

gc,I see merit in your argument however I am not willing to concede mine ,which I acknowledge is only a suspicion.Zanna runs the court well,and I don’t agree with your assertion as to a lack of instinct.I think the culture shock of leaving Africa and the adjustments to America both emotionally and intelectually have stunted Talib to some degree.Again this is just a guess because he is one of my favorite players.I keep dreaming that lightbulb will go off and the Big Z will shine.Maybe I just refuse too admit what I hear and see so often,Talib sucks.

Comment by spiritofsection22 02.27.13 @ 12:55 pm

A year ago I argued that we would be crazy to let go of a natural, backyard rivarly like WVU. I guess I’ve changed my tune especially if we can get a home and home going with PSU which now seems to be interested.

It would still make sense to play WVU in pre-season BB but that’s about it

Comment by wbb 02.27.13 @ 12:59 pm

Spirit, lots of guys have come from Africa and done pretty well. Zanna is frustrating because he is 6’10” and pretty coordinated, runs well like you said. It’s not a lack of smarts that keeps getting his shots blocked. It’s that he pauses to think about it before he acts. He should be knocking guys down instead of getting knocked down. This takes will. I think that is what he is missing.

I too want to see the light bulb go off. Time is running out. Maybe Gary McGee could drop by to push him around a little bit.

Comment by gc 02.27.13 @ 1:22 pm

I too can’t wait to play Duke and NC. Just like Syracuse, UConn, Louisville, and Georgetown, they will always have better (higher rated) players than us.

Aggressive Defense and a team approach will make us competitive. It will be interesting to see how much the physical play will be tolerated. Coach K has always got the calls in the ACC.

If Adams stays next year will be great!

Comment by gc 02.27.13 @ 1:34 pm

I really don’t understand the apprehension over the quality of the BB teams in the ACC. Haven’t we been playing in the strongest BB conference for years now?

Comment by classof 69 02.27.13 @ 1:59 pm

I agree that the overall quality is better in the BE, but again, my concern is how much the Pitt style of play will be tolerated.

Comment by wbb 02.27.13 @ 2:59 pm

gc, I keep hearing the word confidence concerning Talib.He could use a big dose for sure and these next 3 games is a great chance to develop some.I hope he has a big night tonight.I thought he was coming around at Cincinatti but Marquette was a setback and I heard he had the flu at St. Johns.I think if Adams would start shooting it would help Zanna. 69 I’m with you,I think we will do just fine in the ACC and maybe it is their problem that they have to play us.

Comment by spiritofsection22 02.27.13 @ 3:29 pm

@spiritos22

agree with most of your thoughts, our halfcourt offense is mostly horrid to watch. And yes they need to throw the entry pass sometimes, over the defense…with a lob pass. Mind you not every time, but if they’re hedging on you and with a 7 footer, they don’t seem to EVER EVEN TRY IT !

As far as Zanna, yes he has the height (6-9) and a good body……but he plays small…most of the time. I’ve never seen anyone get his shot blocked so much.

I just think he’s a guy who can play well against low D1 teams ( as he’s proved over several seasons) and he can play in transition, but when up against the better teams and better opponents that of are equal size, he folds. Big case of the yips.

Watch he’ll have a big game tonight 🙂

Hope he does….

Comment by EMel 02.27.13 @ 3:35 pm

Are you all crazy we have a 7ft center who can shot from 15 to 20 ft consistently. Who now has learned when he gets the pass at the waist use a head fake do not just take the ball up.
The guards have to both penetrate and back passes above the ankles and make entry passes far enoungh away so their defender can not just reach around and swat the ball.
Finally Dixon needs to impress that it is not Woodall who can carry this team (forget about the anomaly at the garden/he is a 30% FG shooter) it is Adams.
Dixon needs to demand it from him and work on play sets that get him the ball rather that play catch around the perimeter.

Comment by pittisit 02.27.13 @ 3:42 pm

Miami’s success this year in the ACC, has me encourages that we will be able to compete in the Top Tier. They are 13-1 having just suffered their first loss.

Also Virginia with Tony Bennett as coach, as brought his low scoring defensive style with him from Washington State and UVA has become a force in the ACC as well. And Bennett’s style is similar to Dixon’s style. Much as I hope someday it would evolve, it probably won’t. It is what it is.

Comment by EMel 02.27.13 @ 3:45 pm

I question who is crazy. Like it or not, in BE play, it has been Woodall who has been the most consistent .. by far.

Adams hsa the most upside but that is something we cannot depend on until next year.

Comment by wbb 02.27.13 @ 3:46 pm

Of course North Carolina is having a rare off year for them. Having lost 4 or 5 players (underclassmen) to the NBA last year.

They are certainly not up to snuff this year.

And as mentioned above, it is not just UNC & Duke, now Miami and UVA are going to be forces as they both have excellent coaches. As does NC STATE & Florida State and both usually recruit better players than PITT. And Clemson, Georgia Tech & Wake Forest have all had historical success either on par or better than us as well. Given the right coach, they can become major factors in the ACC as well. Same thing with BC.

And then L-Ville and ND are coming the following year. This is going to be one hell of a league.

Comment by EMel 02.27.13 @ 3:53 pm

You read it in the Post Gazette today via Smizik, just didnt know when the Big 12 travel whine would rear it’s ugly head as the reason why Huggins and Bball are in the toilet! Do not ever consider playing them home/home basketball series Panthers!Let them exhaust and rot in the midwest counting frequent flyer miles. Gives them more time to have Huggins regail the team with his freakin Bearcat stories! God I hope Zanna does something tonight for spirits efforts on this blog. He gotta be worn out trying to defend Zanna! Let’s go Talib! UPone

Comment by UPone 02.27.13 @ 5:09 pm