September 22, 2011

At the earliest Pitt and Syracuse join the ACC will be in time for the 2012 season. We will see how negotiations go. As Troy Nunes points out, it is in Pitt and Syracuse’s interests that the Big East move quickly on their expansion — no matter how stupid or short-term their choices may be. Of course never underestimate the stupidity and false sense of importance of the basketball schools helping Pitt and Syracuse leave before the 27 month waiting period.

This could be a negotiating tactic, or he could be serious, but in either case several member schools just want the two schools gone.

There is a feeling in the basketball programs at some member schools that the eventual departure of Pitt and Syracuse will provide some breathing room, that the league had become too great for its own good.

There was room for a record 11 teams to earn NCAA Tournament bids last season, but the presence of Hall of Fame coaches Jim Boeheim and Jim Calhoun at the top of the league and the heavy concentration of elite teams has made it difficult for many league members to gain the necessary media attention to improve their programs through recruiting.

Oh, please, please, please, please, please be true. Hell if I’m in the Big East offices, after I peel myself off the ceiling, is to let my paranoia run wild that this is a planted story from the ACC or Pitt/Syracuse.

At it’s best it undermines the negotiating position of the Big East in getting more financial considerations from the departing programs. At worst it reveals such a crack in the Big East members faith in Marinatto on all sides.

Just hope it is true.

Yeah that’s so the bball only schools still control the league. Only the truly desperate will apply for membership, example ECU.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.22.11 @ 7:28 pm

Here’s some breaking news:

OU got it’s wish, Don Beebe was fired today as B12 Commissioner. He was supposedly in Texas’s hip pocket.

link to rivals.yahoo.com

Comment by melvinbennett 09.22.11 @ 7:30 pm

Navy gets a better bowl game than they could get in the BigEast’s incredibly bad bowl lineup. So why, why, why…. would that fine institution want to be associated with Tier 3 schools like USF, Cincy, L-Ville, WVU???

More Providence shit on the wall.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.22.11 @ 7:41 pm

You can’t make this shit up.

Sunseri’s best game to date was last year @ Syracuse

The city derives its name from Siracusa, a city on the eastern coast of the Italian island of Sicily.

Sunseri’s real first name is Santino, as the TV announcers explained last year, he was named after
Santino (Sonny) Corleone, the James Caan fictional character in the classic movie
‘The Godfather’. Of course the Corleone’s were from Sicily, as any ‘made’ member of the Mafia has to be.

Comment by John Gotti 09.22.11 @ 8:16 pm

melvin navy is not in yet they may not come who knows what they may bring in . UCF is there best bet. but it will probley be nova .

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.22.11 @ 8:21 pm

I do not care who the Big East gets so long as they let Pitt go early. UCF would be my first choice if I was them. Navy and Air Force would have to be insane to join the Big East. What does it gain them? I do not think the Big East’s bowls are anything worth writing home about.

All this talk about Notre Dame joining the ACC was started by Notre Dame! The ACC should be smart enough to figure out that Notre Dame is doing this to preserve the Big East by not having the ACC further raid the Big East. If the ACC wants to stand pat at fourteen, that is fine. They should not do that solely for the reason on what Notre Dame states publicly!

I hope Ray Graham has a TD type day against the Golden Domers on Saturday! Hail To Pitt.

Comment by John In South Carolina 09.22.11 @ 9:17 pm

john in south carolina you are 100 percent right forget ND they arent joining . it is a scam

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.22.11 @ 9:32 pm

Wow, we got diamond ring ads on here now. Help !

Exactly I could care less who the BigEast gets, they could add Duquesne & CMU as far as I care.

@Frank….yea I know Navy isn’t in yet, I was just saying why would they even be considering the BE.

They have their own bowl deal as long they finish .500 or better. Which is pretty much a given the last 10 years.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.22.11 @ 9:59 pm

And the BE has the worst bowl lineup in the history of BCS conferences.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.22.11 @ 10:01 pm

Besides my link to Chuck Amato, graduating with him with the Easton High School class of 1964, would I ever imagine rooting for NC State over Cincy?

Tonight I am.

Comment by steve 09.22.11 @ 10:02 pm

bobbles & trinkets for broads who divorce you,

ya that makes sense.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.22.11 @ 10:03 pm

Watchin the cincinnati north carolina state game I’m not sure who to cheer 4. Do you cheer for nc state because that’s where were going or for cincinnati because that’s where we are?

Comment by Jeff in CPa 09.22.11 @ 10:12 pm

You might have jewelry ads, I have cars. The ads you see are triggered by what you search, I think. Filtered by what Chas allows, of course.

Comment by Stfan 09.22.11 @ 10:17 pm

And now a $125 million donation to Pitt. This would be a really, really great week if we can end it with a win on Saturday…

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 09.22.11 @ 10:21 pm

Believe me I’m not doing a search on diamonds or any other trinkets for women. In fact, I really hate all these diamond ads on these radio stations.

Men are so stupid these days. Diamonds do not buy love, they only show how desperate you are.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.22.11 @ 10:33 pm

Hmm, now cars and car insurance. Maybe they know my daughter just got ANOTHER speeding ticket. Isn’t she going to be surprised when her insurance kicks her into the pool?!

Anyway, thank God for all this ACC talk. Keeps my mind off Saturday’s game.

Comment by Stfan 09.22.11 @ 10:48 pm

The ACC does not need UCONN. The footbal program has been avererage and will stay there. Pitt fans complain aout Heinz field…UCONN’s facilty are horrible. Rutgers is a tad better and adds some NY market that Syracuse does not. The ACC will not change. 20 million exit fee is not a joke. I think they should go for South (really West) Florida and Rutgers.

Comment by notrocketscience 09.22.11 @ 11:06 pm

when it rains it pours…couldn’t happen to a bigger incompetent (Marinatto)

Rumors on CFT.com is that the Big 12 is seriously considering TCU.

Goodbye Big East.

DaveD

Comment by DaveD 09.23.11 @ 2:16 am

Interesting little bit on Uconn, who I think would be a legit contender for another ACC spot.

link to courant.com

Honestly, if the ACC picked up ND and WVU miraculously too, I think it would be a perfect conference for us. then maybe drop NC state… Maybe if it is driven by football they’d even be able to improve WV education to fit the mold!

I also think that ND is finally coming to the conference crossroads, mainly with the specific network coverage going up… (BTN, et cetera) It will be a drive for money in the next few years, but it will come. That is of course if the ND network doesn’t take off, but that’s a limited market as seen by execs.

Comment by Benzene 09.23.11 @ 12:18 pm

what is ND WON LOST RECORD FROM 2000 TO 2010 WHAT IS PITT WON LOST RECORD FROM 2000 TO 2010.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.23.11 @ 1:28 pm

Who knows which Pitt team will show up. After the first two games, I thought we would ge killed at Iowa. Then when we kicked their butts in the first half, I was stunned with the inability to get a single 1st down in the last 3 or 4 series.

Comment by Justinian 09.23.11 @ 7:35 pm

I don’t care if we never play WVU again. Rivalry or not, throwing rocks at our buses, coins at our coaches…who needs such trash?

Comment by Stfan 09.23.11 @ 7:58 pm

Those shirts should say “West A$$hole Virginia”.

Comment by ChrisA 09.24.11 @ 11:42 am