March 9, 2017

Season Finally Ends

Filed under: Basketball — Chas @ 8:16 am

At least they didn’t go out like Duquesne. Ooof.

There was a brief period in the second half. Pitt had an energy that had all but disappeared before halftime. They were attacking the basket — and forcing Virginia to foul. The defense was showing effort. And Pitt pulled within 2 points barely 7 minutes into the second half.

This from a group that in the first half looked listless as the deficit grew. Whether it was being tired from the night before or simply ready to give-up. The energy from Pitt looked so negative that the ESPN crew of Sean McDonough and Doris Burke openly talked of how everyone at Pitt was ready to move on from this season.

And then Virginia opened things up once more. From the Virginia perspective, it started with a hustle play that created a 50-50 ball bouncing their way.

Pitt had slashed Virginia’s 11-point halftime lead to 46-44 when Isaiah Wilkins tapped a Perrantes miss, back toward the perimeter, where the Cavaliers regained possession. A subsequent 50-50 ball sent the 6-foot-11, 247-pound Salt sprawling over the baseline, and before landing with a thud, he managed to knock the ball off Panthers All-ACC wing Michael Young.

Better yet for Virginia (22-9), Kyle Guy converted Salt’s save into a right-corner 3-pointer.

“I knew if it was off one of our guys,” Salt said, “so I just tried to chuck it behind me, and luckily there was a Pitt dude there, and he fumbled it out. I was pretty lucky, to be honest.”

“Big play,” Cavaliers coach Tony Bennett said. “He certainly didn’t look like he had a chance at it. … Those are momentum changes. We tell our guys, it’s about the heart at this level. Every possession matters, and that one mattered.”

From there, Perrantes, a four-year starter at point guard, seized command. He made back-to-back threes and a drive. He assisted on a Ty Jerome 3-pointer.

There was a little luck. Salt managed to send it backwards, so low that it hit Mike Young’s shins before he could react. And then it bounced out without hitting either Cavalier player that was out of bounds. Still, it was the way Virginia took advantage of the luck that made the difference.

I don’t know that there is much to say at this point. Pitt’s offense wasn’t able to consistently beat the Virginia defense, and the defense has never had much of an answer this year.

Just like the previous game, UVa went 11-22 on 3s (Virginia, on the season was about 39%). Pitt was better from outside then the previous game, but needed to shoot 3s like they did in the upset win in January.

As much as this team frustrated. Seemed downright unlikable at times. As much as we have a coach no one seemed to want. It still stings to see them go out. I still feel bad for the players on the team that did put the effort. The ones that did care.

With the loss, the seniors closed a chapter on their respective careers, a stretch of time that will be dissected, debated and occasionally scrutinized in the coming months and over the course of Stallings’ tenure at the school.

They’ve known for months their time at the school likely wouldn’t end how they would have preferred it to, or at least how they once envisioned it, but in a somber, understated locker room after the loss, it didn’t make it any easier to digest.

“It wasn’t so much about how people perceived us, but it was about how we wanted to go out,” Jeter said. “We didn’t want to go out how we are right now. We couldn’t avoid it, I guess.”

Nope.

204 comments

Welp, I guess Stallings is on the clock. We should know in due course if Erie’s rumor has substance.

The smart money is on all of you who steadfastly say no way Pitt ponies up and lances the boil. You’re probably right. The Chancellor probably met the plane putting his arm around KS with a hearty “great job coach, we’ll get ’em next year buddy:!

But, hey you never know. Maybe Baerl saw enough in the Big Apple to write another check.

Like the old song goes:

Sick, sober and sorry; broke, disgusted and sad

But look at the fun that I had.

Comment by Wally 03.09.17 @ 8:46 am

Post comments from KS below … even after the last game, he has to provide underhand comments about the seniors; this miserable SOB just can’t help himself (I think I hate him more than Fraud):

“I think that it will be very difficult because we’re replacing some very good players and some guys that are very experienced and played a lot of basketball at Pitt,” he said. “We’re going to have to turn the page, and Cam Johnson and Ryan Luther are going to have to step up into prominent positions in the program in terms of leadership and productivity and things like that.

“Going forward, we’ll turn it over. We’ll turn it over. We’ll have a lot of new faces. We’ve already got six or seven guys in the fold and still looking for more. So it will have a facelift over the next year or two, a pretty thorough one.”

Stallings also expects the team to make a transition in terms of identity, as well.

“I didn’t want to come in here and blow up everything these guys knew,” he said. “You know, you’re going to do it this way, and I don’t care what you’ve learned. I tried to really accommodate who they were, what they had known, and other ways, and how they’ve had success.”

But going forward, he expects the team to more closely resemble his principles.

“It’s going to be a culture of accountability, a culture of unselfishness, of trying to do the right thing on and off the floor,” he said. “I’m not saying that these are shifts in what the culture has been in the past. I don’t know what the culture was before I got here. I’m just saying what it needs to be going forward.”

Comment by wbb 03.09.17 @ 9:21 am

Wbb…. where is the culture of accountability at Pitt???

Comment by Dan 72 03.09.17 @ 9:35 am

Wbb – He is garbage. Pitt leadership are pussy morons.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 9:37 am

If he is so great of a coach and provides this great culture, then why did Vandy win just 19 last year with two No.1 draft picks .. paying in the SEC?

Comment by wbb 03.09.17 @ 9:38 am

I’ll repeat…

In the opinion of many more knowledgeable than me … Pitt could have made a more attractive hire, yet he was the only one interviewed.

He also yelled at his player last year “I’ll f…ing kill you” What happens if a player would ever yell that to his coach?

Comment by wbb 03.09.17 @ 9:43 am

I was initially disgusted with the KS hire, because false expectations were set by the last AD, who may have accomplished what he was hired to do (how would I know) but absolutely bumbled the entire communication process in uniquely moronic fashion.

After the dust settled, I moved into the acceptance phase: ‘he’s at least an average coach, and he probably won’t be here too many years’.

Now, after having digested a full year, albeit distorted somewhat by a shambles of a roster left behind by JD, I do believe I overestimated KS; in hindsight, his ‘average record’ was achieved in a weak conference, he was being pushed out of his last job, and as wbb pointed out, he didn’t even perform well with some NBA talent. So in all fairness, I think we got a below-average coach, hired under unscrupulous circumstances by an AD that lasted less than a year. And if that’s not bad enough, his quotes above (about next year) make it sound like he plans to be here. And no, I don’t think this guy is anywhere near as bad as Fraud Graham in any way shape or form, but that’s just comparing him to the lowest possible standard.

Comment by 1618mt 03.09.17 @ 9:55 am

Stalling walked into a no-win situation and then didn’t help himself. From the moment the hire was leaked and vitriol started this relationship was never going to be a Rom-Com.

The only way Erie’s rumor has substance is if Stallings is so uncomfortable at Pitt with the negativity surrounding the program and his coaching ability that he and Pitt decide parting ways is a mutual decision and negotiate a discounted buyout. Take $2-4M and run … then throw $3M (or more) at Kevin Keatts.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.09.17 @ 10:02 am

^^^^ All wishful thinking and not likely a realistic scenario

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.09.17 @ 10:15 am

BB team failed due to poor team play, no true guard or center and mostly poor coaching especially the failure to overcome the above.

Comment by Frank MD 03.09.17 @ 10:19 am

We’re going to be bottom of the ACC the next two years regardless of who coaches the team. I’d rather see a new coach to start fresh next year, rather than two more years of Stallings and then starting over!

Comment by ShorePitt 03.09.17 @ 10:58 am

“It’s going to be a culture of accountability” ??? WTF does that mean?? Wouldn’t that start with coach taking the blame for loss first??

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 03.09.17 @ 11:19 am

for a loss first.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 03.09.17 @ 11:23 am

@@@@@@

We’re are all of the people who despised
JD’s brand of BB??

Also, JD owns the roster not KS. The city
can only handle one program like
Duquesne …. Pitt must rebuild.

Comment by JR 03.09.17 @ 11:45 am

Any chance we go to the CBI or was this really the end of the season?

Comment by AJ 03.09.17 @ 11:46 am

@@@@@@

If the resignation rumor is true which
in all probability it isn’t Pitt should
hire Greg Marshall from Witchta St.

Comment by JR 03.09.17 @ 11:47 am

Thankfully the season is finally over. And so is my 40+ years of Pitt bball season tickets.

Comment by Rayhpgh 03.09.17 @ 12:13 pm

Sitting here in a bar in the North Hills nursing a mic ultra watching St. Johns/Villanova. Can’t help but feel something just isn’t right. Nostalgia?
What if? Who to blame?

Whatever

It’s just a crying shame that once was never will be again.

And just think……

All those donations are lining the pockets of Cornhole, Barnes, Stallings, and whoever runs those search firm.

Comment by Wally 03.09.17 @ 12:31 pm

Wally – hopefully in a couple of days we will know the results of the rumor. Dan 72 mentioned last night that he was privy to that same rumor. So, that gives it a little credibility.

The whole basis is to part ways peacefully. Stallings resigns because he is bothered by all the “noise” and Pitt get’s a HUGE discount on the buyout OR Stallings lands at Missouri or LSU.

Comment by Erie Express 03.09.17 @ 12:44 pm

I’d love to be Louisville now. Great teams all around. We are basically BC had a baby with Kent State.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 12:44 pm

Pitt has the excuse now to rid ourselves of Otis.

Based on Otis’s problems in the past, didn’t Pitt have something written into his contract…about ‘conduct unbecoming’.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 12:50 pm

What’s this about a resignation rumor ?

I didn’t see anything. But I would heartily welcome it !

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 12:58 pm

Thank God the season is over! Unfortunately I’m not looking for anything better next year. There was a comment, that we were tired with Jamie Dixon’s brand of basketball. I never was. I loved Pitt’s heyday in the Big East. Yes, the Pitt program had been trending down the last few years, but the Panthers made it to the NCAA tournament last year. Coming into this year, Pitt had their most talented players returning. Whose fault is it that they didn’t have a point guard ready to go.

Comment by Justinian 03.09.17 @ 1:00 pm

I’d rather Pitt have some balls and fire the clod.

Have some balls Pitt and say we are not going to accept this for our basketball program, which was one of the best for 15 years.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 1:00 pm

~ Justinian….the heir apparent PG has to be on the team last year, to tutor under JR. As Pitt had done with Knight to Krauser to Fields to Woodall to JR.

Instead nobody was recruited and JR played near 40 minutes a game.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 1:03 pm

It wasn’t a real good pass off from Woodall to JR, as JR had to come in and start immediately, wasn’t really ready and Lamar had to play Point Forward.

Which worked out really well that year, as Lamar really shined and did something nobody up to that point thought possible. Get drafted by the NBA.

That was a real fun Pitt team to watch as the passing by Patterson to Zanna and others was probably the best since the Knight days.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 1:06 pm

That team got to the ACC semi’s, don’t see Pitt getting there again unless something radical is done….. immediately.

Just too many better HC’s in the ACC than Dickhead

And 2 and 3 star players coached by Otis will be at the bottom of the standings every year.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 1:11 pm

Upitt – Are you serious? You’d rather be Louisville? Louisville? With 2 of the absolute dirtiest coaches in college sports today. I’m a fan of integrity – there is none at Louisville.

Comment by JJ 03.09.17 @ 1:29 pm

Yes, I’d rather be Louisville and beat teams asses.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 1:30 pm

Has anyone heard a single peep about the AD search? Some poor sap has a dumpster fire of a basketball program headed their way. Also one seriously pissed off fanbase.

Comment by Jon 03.09.17 @ 1:44 pm

lol Jon….Pitt is either sealed tighter than a drum, tighter than the cia…or there are some really lame ass reporters up Pitt’s ass in Pittsburgh.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 1:46 pm

I think we may be a bit off with the lack of PG availability and transition.

Milligan was most certainly recruited to play PG and he was redshirted last year reportedly due to some personal issues. Wilson averaged nearly 11 minutes per game last season (he also averaged it in conference). I didn’t perform a thorough analysis, but I am reasonably sure that a number of Wilson’s early season minutes were specifically subbing for JR (who averaged 32 mpg last season). As the season progressed JD sometimes placed Wilson and JR on the floor at the same time with Wilson and JR sharing point. It’s not like JD didn’t recruit somebody with the intention of playing point and didn’t give him an opportunity to learn.

Milligan averaged nearly 10 mpg this season. Wilson averaged a little over 6 mpg this season.
Milligan averaged 8 minutes and Wilson averaged 5 minutes in the non-con.

Seems to me that Stallings elected to implement a “play a bunch of forwards” strategy because he saw they are experienced, defensively interchangeable and would create offensive matchup challenge. He used the non-con to try to “perfect” it (and also risk losing a few non-con games) at the expense of developing Milligan and Wilson. Unfortunately the only part that was true was that the forwards were experienced. They were all defensively inadequate with guys their own size and had all demonstrated that through the years. They don’t present much of a matchup problem if they’re going to stand outside and shoot 3s.

Let’s not buy in to any part of the KS apologists narrative. Pitt didn’t have a PG this season because Stallings refused to develop the ones that had been recruited to play the position.

I think the 2010 and 2011 classes hurt the transition from Woodall to JR. Isaiah Epps was certainly supposed to be the bridge player. John Johnson may also have been intended to help. Neither one lasted more than a season. Epps didn’t appear to be much of a D1 player after being considered a 4-star (I believe) after his junior year of HS. Johnson appeared to be a shooting guard in mind and a PG in body.

Comment by Barvo 03.09.17 @ 1:57 pm

The reporters in Pittsburgh don’t care about Pitt unless it is negative news.

None of them are pursuing the AD story and thus we fans know nothing…

Comment by Erie Express 03.09.17 @ 1:59 pm

Craig Meyer ? @CraigMeyerPG
Fans I know feel differently, but I’m going to miss Pitt’s four seniors. Some interesting personalities who were always great to deal with.

He seems to be one of the few in local media that feels that the players weren’t a cancer. Fact is that I know they may have been defensively-challenged, but that doesn’t make them bad people. Heck, even game announcers last night seem to put the negative focus on the players .. of course, after a conversation they had with Kevin (don’t blame me) Stallings.

Comment by wbb 03.09.17 @ 2:17 pm

Well that’s right Barvo…because the intent to play Artis at PG was made, I believe before practice had even begun.

Milligan was recruited very late in the season, I believe in Sept out of JUCO, not long before the season started. Since we were short 1 guard after Newkirk transferred to Indiana.

If you had big Guards, which Pitt did this year, they should have been posting up more inside against smaller players…not jacking up 3’s at a record level.

AGAIN COACHING ! COACHING! COACHING !

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 2:24 pm

No apologist here.

Otis is a god awful coach. this is rudimentary coaching, you have big guards you post them up.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 2:25 pm

AJ- It be over. The ACC does not allow its teams to participate in the CBI. Mercifully!!

Personally I don’t think there is any way Stallings resigns. If he did would that really be a good thing? The new coach would be putting adds in the Pitt News for players, as I doubt he would retain many recruits.

Patience. This guy is not gonna make it. Hopefully he at least has a new eye for talent and makes this an attractive job when he is shitcanned in 2 years.

Comment by Pap76 03.09.17 @ 2:33 pm

Craig Meyer has been fantastic covering both football and basketball. Pitt has very good beat writers covering us at both papers.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.09.17 @ 2:34 pm

To play the other side – take a look at incoming freshmen football recruit Tyler Sear’s comments regarding Stallings and basketball. Very interesting….because what’s in it for him in regards to Pitt basketball. I understand sticking up for the school but he’s not even here yet!
As for Milligan, I was all for him playing several weeks ago. I was wrong. He made a few nice plays but I don’t think he’s capable of consistently playing in the ACC. Too many TOs and no ability to drive and score plus a rather slow release.

Comment by JJ 03.09.17 @ 2:35 pm

Was that a mercy killing last night?

Comment by Jackagain 03.09.17 @ 2:58 pm

I think I’m in the majority when I say I didn’t have a problem with JD’s slogball style in and of itself (it works for Virginia; even though they magically became 3 pt shooters against our D, go figure). I think the problem for JD has always been recruiting, and many thought slogball was a detriment to recruiting high level players (and it is, to some extent), but the real problem was that JD just wasn’t a very good recruiter and didn’t have a staff to mitigate that weakness. So in a nutshell, if he had been able to keep winning with his style, ala VA, few would’ve complained.

And yes, technically, JD did recruit a few guys that could play point, but again, the problem is that they simply weren’t very good. So again it comes back to recruiting.

And finally, I went to bed last night at 11:00, with us down only 4 and a lot of time left, figuring confidently that we’d lose the game, but at least there was a rumor of a pending resignation. Deep down inside, I never really believed it, but its funny how a little hope goes a long way…

Comment by 1618mt 03.09.17 @ 3:17 pm

The name calling on here is hilarious. I like the Otis reference.

I thought KS was basically Dixon’s twin as far as coaching. I was wrong.

He had a team that should have won much more. I don’t blame the players. There isn’t much talent, but Dixon was better at getting more out of less.

Comment by notrocketscience 03.09.17 @ 3:29 pm

EMel et al …Part of the rumor…Stallings did have a “conduct unbecoming” clause which he has violated over and over embarrassing Pitt and Gallagher. Negotiations ongoing…

Keep in mind this is “Pitt” who could screw up a one car funeral! I say a contract extension is coming!!!

Comment by Dan 72 03.09.17 @ 3:34 pm

Ah man Dan72 don’t get my hopes up! Out of curiosity, Erie does this match what you had heard??

Comment by Jon 03.09.17 @ 3:41 pm

Who would want to come in to this mess? That’s not meant to defend Stallings. Just a legitimate question. The last time around word was that, even though they maybe weren’t interviewed, that a lot of the “popular names” were in no way even remotely interested. Could be way off – who knows. But to think some young big shot is going to want to come here — and possibly ruin his upward climb and all of his momentum — I just don’t see it being that attractive. I’d love to be wrong. But we aren’t going to outspend FB to get a BB coach. And that’s probably what it would take to make the 20% of the fans that voice their opinion happy.

Comment by JJ 03.09.17 @ 4:15 pm

@JJ – a smart, upcoming, non P-5 coach would be happy to come in and turn this thing around. Don’t forget, they wouldn’t be succeeding JD who had some success, they would be succeeding KS who had none. With expectations so low for next season, a few wins would get them ACC CoY.

H2P!!!

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.09.17 @ 4:22 pm

Pitt Dad – That’s true, plus great facilities, Oakland Zoo, ACC, great city, really good city campus environment for recruits. Not to mention the money. You’d have to be a nut to be uninterested. I’ll gladly take the job for $1 million/yr and save the school some money, just let me know….

Comment by 1618mt 03.09.17 @ 4:39 pm

I’m hoping that was the plan, perhaps nobody did want to come in after Jamie. He was very well liked, did a lot for Pitt bball obviously and was well thought of by the community as well.

So they bring in a schmuck like Stallings, botch the hire (on purpose) there is nuclear reaction against hiring a retread like him. The season starts out promising and then explodes as Otis cowardly slithers out of the L-Ville embarrassment at the Pete, the players revolt, the real Otis emerges and out come the pitchforks and torches among the faithful.

Ok….time for the Final Act ….please.

Run the bum out of Town !

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 4:58 pm

Emel I really think he gets 2 more seasons then he is gone.

Comment by WLAT 910 radio and the big beat! 03.09.17 @ 5:04 pm

Jon – hope is up, yes. This may take a while with lawyers involved.

Stallings would be smart to cut bait and find another hole. An old fishing line…

SEC teams like Missouri and LSU might be interested in his services.

Comment by Erie Express 03.09.17 @ 5:20 pm

To anyone who thinks Dixon can’t coach: TCU just beat Kansas. Hail to coach Dixon.

Comment by PittFaninEnemyTerritory 03.09.17 @ 5:28 pm

Don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up …even if true. Pitt will F it up!

Comment by Dan 72 03.09.17 @ 5:30 pm

Dixon is 100000000% better than dicksock stallings

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 5:34 pm

Congrats coach Dixon!

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.09.17 @ 5:36 pm

Hey, why not root for TCU – Dixon is on a path to take on wvcc, who most of us dislike.

Hmmmm…

I can do that while waiting for the Stallings hammer to drop. Dr. Randy Juhl, you will go down as a Pitt folk hero with this one move. The axe is in your hand.

Comment by Erie Express 03.09.17 @ 5:38 pm

So fitting…. We hired brokedick brissel and Dixon is building a powerhouse. Barnes and Gallagher you people are fucking jokes. Stallings I wouldn’t hire you to caoch CCAC-Boyce.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 5:52 pm

So right Upitt. Poetic justice for Pitt. Jamie leaves and beats the number 1 team in the country. Dr Phil comes in and loses to Duquesne. It IS about coating. A blind man with his head up his ass can see Pitt took a bad wrong turn. Fix it Gallagher. NOW!

Comment by Wally 03.09.17 @ 6:23 pm

Congrats to Dixon..doing an unbelievable job at tcu…left us a train wreck tho

He’s a way better coach than stallings, if only he could have recruited better here..oh well

Comment by Keith 03.09.17 @ 6:57 pm

AD dept didn’t give him enough money or he just kept it all.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 7:18 pm

Wo to the ones who make judgements after 1 yr. Patience boys lets see how this plays out in the long run.

Comment by alcofan 03.09.17 @ 7:37 pm

Alco – LOL. Give Stallings 60 years and he will still be a loser dicksock. He was in the previous 30

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 7:41 pm

The long run will be straight into Pitt’s grave.

Even with his players, the guy is not a good coach. He is not a leader. He does not well represent the university. He has no upside. He is not proven to compete in this much tougher conference. And his players are 3 stars who I doubt can be coached up by him. He doesnt run some special system. He doesnt engage the fans and boosters. He inspires no confidence.

Pitt needs to cut ties, admit the mistake and hire a high ceiling coach who will be here the next 15-20 years and the Pete will eventually be renamed after him.

Comment by TX Panther 03.09.17 @ 8:02 pm

17 years in the SEC….is that enough of a track record.

138 wins…

142 losses.

Never won a conf. championship,

Never won a conf. Tournament Championship

His 2 highest seeded NCAA teams (both #4 seeds) lost to #13 seeds. One of those games was by 20 points…..to A #13 SEED !.

LMAO YEA…WE NEED TO LET HIM HAVE HIS 2 STAR PLAYERS TO SEE WHAT’S GONNA HAPPEN.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:02 pm

I still think Dixon was hand cuffed here and couldn’t get the budget he needed to get the recruiters he required to win in the ACC.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 03.09.17 @ 8:02 pm

i mean do some of you guys draw a paycheck from Pitt.

Cause it seems so.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:03 pm

Alco, I’ve been around a long time and one thing I learned many years ago is you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Stallings has no chance to succeed. Zero. Zilch. Nada. He has no support. Anywhere. He can’t sell. He can’t coach. He has no redeeming qualities that will allow him to achieve success in a city like Pittsburgh that rewards honesty and humility in people but can smell a bullshit artist 100 miles away.

Comment by Wally 03.09.17 @ 8:04 pm

Or the 10 year magic on a $150 million investment had reached it’s expiration point….Tony.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:04 pm

I dont need to see another year or two or give him a chance or benefit of double. A tiger doesnt change its stripes. He is a loser. You keep this turd and the Pete will be empty next year and the year after that. Pitt’s brand will lose millions and become a laughing stock. If you want a mediocre team and 500 record and bottom of pack standings in the conference, KS is your man. Unless he cheats like Petino, Pitt has no chance.

Comment by TX Panther 03.09.17 @ 8:05 pm

So that only means one thing…..

We need to implode the Pete and invest some more money 😉

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:09 pm

And that means a multi-use Football/Basketball arena…maybe a natatorium in the lower bowels.

25 mil guaranteed a year from the ACC is 250 mil.

We can build a very nice multi-use facilty.

Get to it Pitt !

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:15 pm

25 mil over 10 years is 250 mil…for you ones who have to use a i-phone to add and subtract.

Or to take a crap

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:16 pm

There’s not one player that’s LOI’d for next year that is a stellar player.

Time to do it is……NOW !

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:22 pm

If you decide to reset than you should reset. Young coach that you can afford to pay and pay good assistants. It worked with JD & crew for 10 years.

You don’t get a guy that’s ONLY liked by his competition at a slight discount and expect to get the same or better results.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 03.09.17 @ 8:25 pm

All they had to do was look at what they did with the football team…..

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 03.09.17 @ 8:26 pm

Emel – Dokish and Zeise sure are succkling Momma Pitt’s Teet. They are the biggest homer wanna be relevant goofs.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 8:30 pm

Those guys are paid mouth pieces spewing Pitt propaganda.

Comment by TX Panther 03.09.17 @ 8:36 pm

Well…it’s a no brainer with Zeiso. His D2 talent level kid is getting a free ride at Pitt.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:37 pm

Doak-ass….can be bought for as little a coldcuts and a soft-drink.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:39 pm

Have either one of these clowns written anything about Pitt’s eternal search for an AD ?

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:42 pm

Dokish looks like he enjoys Hillary Marches and Coldcuts.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 8:46 pm

and Pussy hats…no doubt lol

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:47 pm

I will give him some credit for tweeting this:

Chris Dokish? @ChrisDokish 3h3 hours ago
When Pitt does well, you hardly hear anything from the local media. When something doesn’t go well, they can’t wait to pile on.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 8:50 pm

To those extolling Jamie and TCU, Kansas Was missing their All America starting point guard…. just saying

Comment by Dan 72 03.09.17 @ 8:52 pm

I hope Elijah zeise is a productive linebacker for Pitt

Comment by Keith 03.09.17 @ 8:57 pm

I hope he takes after his mother

Comment by TX Panther 03.09.17 @ 9:03 pm

And I hope Pitt wins the National Championship in football sometime again.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 9:05 pm

Zeise wont say a critical thing for fear of losing his press pass.

Doke is too apologetic for KS. I guess Patty told him that his supply of Primantis and IC Lights would be cut off if he got out of line.

Comment by TX Panther 03.09.17 @ 9:06 pm

And I really hope we get a new Pitt Stadium, because the above might not be possible without one.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 9:07 pm

I never received a cent from Pitt.

Comment by alcofan 03.09.17 @ 9:08 pm

Oh we’ve upgraded from Jumbo sandwiches to Primanti’s….nice.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 9:09 pm

Too bad we can’t say the same thing for Otis.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 9:11 pm

I hope we get an AD before next BBall season.

Comment by Emel 03.09.17 @ 9:17 pm

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 9:17 pm

Breaking News: Stallings leaving Pitt to assume Salesman Position for the following.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 9:18 pm

link to post-gazette.com

Even the media is calling him a fuckstick now.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 9:36 pm

Dixon is gone. Get over it. You people are really silly. Dixon left Pitt on his own. They didnt fire him. Yeah go root for TCU and Dixon. Upitt you.and the rest are like clockwork. Come on the board calling grown men little childish names. Are you guys for real?

What was the stupid names you all called Dixon for so many years? I know it wasnt you all, because he was so great. Oh yeah he took Pitt to all those NCAA Tournaments. But wait he never did anything in those games, he sucks, cant recruit, plays slogball, yanks his players everytime they took a bad shot, or made a mistake, he looks like hes going to explode on the sidelines, he micro-manages every play. Did I miss any of you all bullshit complaints about non-coaching Dixon? Oh Skunkhead, how could I forget that.

You all are pathetic and dont have a clue.

Comment by pittisit 03.09.17 @ 9:38 pm

In the words of my daughter: Jamie Dixon – did you ever miss someone so much it hurt?

Comment by Gasman 03.09.17 @ 9:39 pm

Dixon was forced out. Thats different than truly leaving on his own. I dont think many are pining for Dixon. Many want KS out now since they see that he also cannot compete in the ACC much like Dixon. Not hard to understand. Theres humor in calling grown men childish names. Even funnier when those names stick.

Comment by TX Panther 03.09.17 @ 9:45 pm

I wanted Skunkhead gone Dokish Pittisit. You replace him with a stud not garbage. He was forced out by fuckhead Herman. If you arent smart enough to see our shitbox AD lasted a year and Stallings is trash then good luck at your job at Pitt or Penn Dot or the USPS wherever mediocrity is valued.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 9:49 pm

Don’t think 6’8″ Jackson is the PG at Kansas. Mason leads them in scoring and assists. #2 assist man and #3 scorer is Graham. Mason and Graham played today and Mason scored 29. Graham had a rough one in scoring 10.

Still, this is Kansas. They recruit 4 and 5 star players every year. It’s not like Jackson is their only good player.

TCU with a big bench contribution in the win. I know it’s still tough for some to overcome the bad feelings they had for JD. In the end his team, which had won 6 conference games in the previous 3 seasons, beat the #1 team in the country in Kansas City, MO today. Kansas City is ~1 hour drive from Lawrence, KS.

Quoting ESPN “The Jayhawks lost because they were outscored by 10 points in the paint, 10 points on second-chance opportunities and by seven points off turnovers.” Sounds like Pitt coached by JD in the Big East years.

Comment by Barvo 03.09.17 @ 9:50 pm

All hail Pittisit. Wise sage and loves the slop Pitt putd on his plate. I’m not a sheep.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 9:50 pm

Pittisit
Right on!

And Dixon did leave on his own, it was the perfect storm

And now we’re drowning!

Comment by Keith 03.09.17 @ 10:01 pm

Fire Stallings and blow it up now instead of restarting in 2 years.

I love that Dixon beat KU today. It was stale here, it was time to go, but I’m rooting for his success.

Comment by ShorePitt 03.09.17 @ 10:02 pm

Keith – You love Stallings so own it.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 10:02 pm

Upitt
Nothing wrong with those jobs

Now ppl on this site are “to good” for some of us?

Get over yourself!

Comment by Keith 03.09.17 @ 10:03 pm

Keith – Not if you like being mediocre and losing millions.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 10:07 pm

Upitt

I’m a realists and had to realize myself that pitt isn’t the job I thot it was….I thought we could get one of the millers to come here, when that didn’t happen that hit hard

I started realizing that pitt isn’t the job that a lot of you still think it is

And yeah we all got bambozzled with stallings, but this is our reality

Comment by Keith 03.09.17 @ 10:08 pm

Upitt

Why don’t you give pitt some of your spare millions to get a good coach?…sounds like pitt isn’t the only ones that run a self administration?!

Yiur probly not even a doner?!

Comment by Keith 03.09.17 @ 10:10 pm

Any job is a top job when leadership
Decides to write checks!!!

They had the money and that is what hurts most.

I will not give money until
We get an AD with Balls. You aware we had Herman and Pederson. I wouldn’t give them a cent.

This is why it is imperative to go young up and comer. Not a never been buddy.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 10:15 pm

Well then we finally agree on something
Pitt won’t get a veteran coach with “moxy”, they def have to go young

And hope we get lucky like we did with howland

Comment by Keith 03.09.17 @ 10:19 pm

But that’s not gonna happen for a few yesrs, in my opinion

Comment by Keith 03.09.17 @ 10:19 pm

Upitt Im in Ohio. Im being fooled by Pitt? Really dude? There you go again. Im just a diehard Pitt fan. I was disappointed in the Stallings hire az well. But hes hear and Im not going to act liks a 3 year old and come on here ranting and raving like a maniac. You and others have expressed your displeasure. But give it a rest. Every topic ends up the same. You, Emel and others repeat the same non-sense over and over again. There ends up no real discussion about the topic. Just back and forth posts of meaningless drivel.

Comment by pittisit 03.09.17 @ 10:37 pm

Pittisit

Preach brother!

Ohio tho?, cmon man..lol..hope your not in buckeye country?, there the worst!!

Comment by Keith 03.09.17 @ 10:53 pm

I do have my share of drivel.

Let’s talk that the next 2 years are wated so cut bait with Mr. Stallings and let’s invest for the future now.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 10:57 pm

Wasted

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.09.17 @ 10:57 pm

Dixon left on his own but the writing was on the wall. It wasn’t like Barnes tried stopping him. I will always root for Dixon.

Upitt – you can’t claim Dixon now. You were one of his biggest detractors.

Stallings probably returns but I don’t think it’s the lock some of you do. If Stallings wants out, Pitt will give it to him. Buyouts are negotiable and if he’s miserable ala Fraud Graham then anything can happen.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.09.17 @ 11:25 pm

Guy from VA who had 20 against us last night has 0 tonight against ND – go figure.

Comment by Frank MD 03.09.17 @ 11:36 pm

I was fine with Dixon staying. I didn’t want him to leave. I said it here many times. We were competitive, our kids rarely got in trouble, they played hard, and like a team.

He needed help recruiting. Maybe he didn’t know that then but he knows that now. We will never know the true story.

My kid is now a Junior @ Pitt. She has told me that Jamie Dixon would always visit the Zoo kids waiting online. He would buy them pizza the night before a game and doughnuts in the morning. He was happy to pose for pictures and signed programs.

People forget this happened,

“[Dixon] assisted in removing at least one of the two occupants,” Pennsylvania state trooper Erik Fisher told ESPN.com on Sunday morning. “He sustained some injuries to his hands in assisting in getting them out through the windshield of the vehicle on the passenger side.”

Dixon, as seen on raw video on WPXI.com, was treated in an ambulance and then released before driving off. Fisher said he was waiting to interview Dixon again Sunday. Dixon was in practice with the Big East-favorite Panthers on Sunday morning.

“He was a Good Samaritan,” Fisher said. “That’s the way people are supposed to be. By all accounts he did exactly what a decent person should do. It’s an interstate freeway and I’m sure countless other cars drove right past. He was one of the very few who pulled over.”

Kevin Stallings would have yelled “Get the F-ck out of my way!” “Stupid car wrecking people!”

To have this bum attempt to replace Jamie Dixon is laughable at best and painful at worst.

My kid hasn’t seen Kevin even attempt to reach out to the zoo. She received one email and it appeared to be copied from a form letter.

He is not liked by anyone other then the media (he gives them plenty of material) and his competition (because his teams play under their ability).

This group of kids didn’t like him and the next group of kids will get to loath him as well.

Everyone has had a boss or two in their lives that they just couldn’t stand to be around. Easy things became difficult because somewhere in the back of your mind you know your labor was benefiting a dick bag.

Kevin Stallings is now our Dick Bag. We have hired Micheal Scott and he is the guy players will dislike playing for as long as he’s here.

Next year will be worse and the year after no better.

I’ll cheer for Jamie Dixon because I respect him and I like him and just like our current group of players I can’t say either for Kevin Stallings.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 03.09.17 @ 11:54 pm

We’re all traumatized by the goings on at Pitt and the Athletic Department.

So we come on here for group therapy.

Nothing wrong with that. And if you do…..then you don’t really know what we’re going thru.

We try to add a little comedy, since that is better than crying.

Pitt itself is very dark humor btw.

Comment by Emel 03.10.17 @ 12:01 am

You can now go back to bed….Otis !

We know that was you !

Comment by Emel 03.10.17 @ 12:05 am

no doubt…lol

Comment by Emel 03.10.17 @ 12:10 am

The whole thing is sad. Paranoid or not it does look like Barnes did take advantage of us. Who would want to go to Oregon State unless he felt he was backed in a corner. Corvallis!!! Stallings owes Barnes and his consultant group big time.

Stallings gets at least next year to show his stuff. No improvement then we may see PITT suck up and pay his contract off.

Rutgers did a nice job improving this year. Knight will get some credit being there. Maybe he could be ready in a couple of years.

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 03.10.17 @ 2:33 am

We need a coach who can recruit the Metro NYC kids as we did in the past

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 03.10.17 @ 2:53 am

As much as I agree that Dixon had peaked, I still don’t want to judge Stallings quite yet. Tony is Harrisburg makes my point: Dixon “needed help recruiting.” Look at the box score: Bench points for TCU v Kansas, 34. Bench points for Pitt v Viginia, 0. Bench minutes: TCU 58, Pitt 31.

The cupboard was way bare here, and for that I blame Dixon’s recruiting.

Comment by KeyboardKev 03.10.17 @ 9:12 am

Dixon was definitely a nice/good guy. But I think he checked out here a few years ago. He knew it was all falling apart. He knew next year was going to be total junk because he couldn’t recruit anyone. Word was over the last several years that when recruits would visit he was hardly around. I don’t think anyone’s disputing his character as a person.

Comment by JJ 03.10.17 @ 9:12 am

Unfortunately Brandon Knight’s track record shows he cannot recruit either.

Comment by rayhpgh 03.10.17 @ 9:32 am

It was interesting reading the comments at the end of Zeise’s
“Stallings shares the blame” article from ordinary Pittsburghers. 19 said that Stallings should be fired…one said keep him another year!

Comment by Dan 72 03.10.17 @ 9:44 am

after making some really good assistant hires who could recruit … Slice, Herrion Rice, Sperry, etc, Dixon made some terrible hires. Smoke Williamson was not productive and his hiring was questioned, since his base was in the midwest and not in Atlantic seaboard.

You may remember, Dixon did not want to join the ACC. He championed the BE, knowing fully well that the NYC/NJ connection would dry up.

Comment by wbb 03.10.17 @ 9:55 am

Dan_72 – It’s called the vocal minority for a reason. Most casual fans will give Stallings a shot. I can’t argue with the die hard fans willing to give Stallings a chance either. It’s the rational thing to do. I can’t help myself though. I don’t like him. I don’t like his approach to basketball. I know I’m acting irrationally but just accept it. I’d rather just fix it now than deal with annoyance for a few years.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.10.17 @ 9:59 am

While the Blather is my “go to” blog, I occasionally peruse others as well as media outlets. What you pointed out Dan72 is a microcosm of all the others. KS is just not a very likeable person and his public persona suggests he would fail miserably as preacher or a politician as nobody would be inclined to follow his lead. Hence, his BB teams are void of a charismatic leader and look and play that way.

Look. It is real simple in my view. Hiring Stallings was a mistake. But the financial commitment necessary to unwind the mistake prohibits any reasonable hope that Pitt will initiate remedial measures any time soon or the next several years for that matter. They have succeeded in destroying the program and left themselves no way out. Who could have fathomed this descent into submediocrity just a few short years ago?

Who knows? Maybe we have a rainmaker alumni who steps up and saves the day. I doubt it. But for as long as the radio silence from Pitt Athletics continues, hope springs eternal.

Otherwise, get ready for some football and hope Pitt doesn’t screw that up too.

Comment by Wally 03.10.17 @ 10:34 am

There are no White Knights to swoop in and save Pitt Basketball. We are just going to have to ride it out, unlike TCU and Jamie Dixon.

I still say that Montreal’s Gifts leaving and Adam’s departing after one year, started the current death spiral for Pitt Basketball. I think Jamie gave up somewhere soon after that happened.

If he really wanted to continue his success at Pitt, he needed a crack staff with an ACC star recruiter. Whether Pitt didn’t want to finance that process or Jamie just had enough, we will never know (unless he writes an honest memoir).

In any case that death spiral is about to hit bottom next year. How long we stay on the bottom is anyone’s guess.

Comment by gc 03.10.17 @ 11:17 am

I think many have forgotten, Dixon was instrumental in obtaining TCU’s entry into the BigEast, which would have brought in Boise State as well. And I guess the U of Houston would have entered as well.

So here Dixon thought he had strengthened the BigEast, and he would still would have been the HC of a team in the BigEast, not the ACC.

Although the recruiting was headed south, long before we left the BigEast. No Slice, No Herrion, No Antigua…meant no pipelines.

And our only 2 McDonald’s All-Americans were both flops.

Nothing ever is easy for Pitt. For whatever reason.

Comment by Emel 03.10.17 @ 11:30 am

Having all of that ‘blowup’ had to be very disappointing for Jamie.

Jim Boeheim was also very happy about Syracuse joining the ACC either.

His comments the other day about Greensboro, were hysterical.

Comment by Emel 03.10.17 @ 11:37 am

^also was NOT very happy about Syracuse joining the ACC either ^

Comment by Emel 03.10.17 @ 11:37 am

I think Kevin Stallings is the cancer to this program what coach do you recall going to the media telling them all these negative things about his players and taking absolutely no blame for any of this teams shortcomings. Please let that rumor be true about HCKS resigning from Pitt. PLEASE I think Brandin Knight could have done so much better with these players than KS I mean 4 or 5 more wins better.

Comment by PittPanFan 03.10.17 @ 11:43 am

The whole plan was to hire coach Stallings for his recruiting it’s a 2 yr plan he brings in the players then they fire him because he already proved he cannot coach even with the best of talent end of story 2 more yrs of this retread.

Comment by PittPanFan 03.10.17 @ 11:55 am

Jamie is “On Top of the World.” You can see it in his face.

HUGE Win as Coach at his Alma Mater.

Millions of BUYOUT dollars in his pocket.

Foolish for those thinking somehow that Dixon’s DESIRE to leave with the opportunity to land at TCU… was not equal or GREATER than Pitt’s desire to cut ties.

Comment by PittofDreams 03.10.17 @ 2:23 pm

Dixon wins one conference tournament game and he is John Wooden, give me a break.
If they play WVU they will be destroyed.

Comment by notrocketscience 03.10.17 @ 3:46 pm

that’s right rocket, any coach can win one conference game, ours did, and we pay him quite a bit less! dixon is a one and done coach. good riddance.

Comment by goalie44 03.10.17 @ 4:20 pm

I think is it probably safe to say that if Dixon had real internal support, and also was given a few more dollars to hire a stronger support staff, he would still be here. You never know but that is my gut. Such a shame, you look at all the long term coaches and guess what, they have down years…even down 3-5 years in a row. With solid positive support, an administration willing to pay for better assistants, and JD recognizing he needed better recruiting assistants, I strongly believe this 4-5 year downturn would have been in the rear view mirror. Alas, only the 3rd of those were true (I think Dixon realized he needed better recruiters). And so the best coach Pitt had in the modern era is gone.

That said, he might have just gone anyway. No offense to this great city but I have seen tons of people get sick of it, sorry! Oakland is still a dump, the weather sucks, it is not the prettiest area in the world and while way more cosmopolitian than it was 10 years ago, there are a lot of cooler cities out there. I say that with love for Pitt. But it is true.

Anyhoooo…it is all past tense now. And after a season of comparison JD to KS, I think I am officially done doing so with this post…my last JD post!

So, one more time just for fun: KS had the SAME TEAM as JD last year, except for two things: loss of JR, and 4 seniors that one would think would have taken a step forward (hell at least one of them!). Net, net, at least as good a team as last year. I said right before the season started, we therefore have the PERFECT comparative test. And what happened? A tourney team under JD won what 4 conference games this year? That is a pathetic failure on KS’s part. Pathetic. I maintain, Dixon would have at least made this a bubble team and at best a two-win tourney team (probably 1 though). That is the bottom line. Period. And that is a HUGE swing in outcome.

So lets get rid of this loser and start really rebuilding the program! We still have the Zoo, the Pete, and the ACC…the bones are there, it can be done!!!

Hail to Pitt

Comment by DD 03.10.17 @ 4:35 pm

PittOfDreams, Jamie had TCU pay Pitt to get out of his contract, not the other way around. As much as I was not a fan of the hiring of Stallings and Barnes, you can’t afford to fire a coach before you have an AD. The fallout of who would want to take a job but not know who they are playing for on top of only being given one year would be too much to take, let alone the years of penny pinching practices to pay his buyout.

Comment by tedsptman 03.10.17 @ 5:11 pm

Ted – Bullshit. Pay 3M and Red Auberbach takes the job. Pay money and people will come and have more respect fucksock was fired. Then hire a real AD.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.10.17 @ 6:05 pm

Watching the A-10 tournament at the PPG Paints Areana in Pittsburgh – record breaking crowds. Imagine that – there is basketball being played in Pittsburgh.

Comment by Erie Express 03.10.17 @ 6:39 pm

This tweet from Seth Greenberg one year ago –

link to mobile.twitter.com

With the addition of a PG, Seth felt Stallings would have a top 15 team.

Instead, KS moves one of his best scorers, but worst ball handler to PG and loses 17 games.

Comment by Erie Express 03.10.17 @ 7:06 pm

notrocket@3:36, Wvu might win big but they barely beat TCU on both games this year. WVU didn’t break game open until final minutes at home, and won on controversial final seconds call at TCU.

Of course, TCU may suffer big emotional letdown after last night

Comment by wbb 03.10.17 @ 7:21 pm

Pitt Baseball 15K’s vs Undefeated Louisville. Fucking comical and Herman extended Jordano. No one is accountable.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.10.17 @ 7:57 pm

TCU getting their ass kicked. I guess Dixon isnt so great after all.

Comment by pittisit 03.10.17 @ 8:05 pm

Vandy 10000% better with Bryce Drew beating UF. Hilarious we hired old pappy saggy dick and they got Bryce Drew, lost 2 NBA first rounders and are better than with AARP Balls.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.10.17 @ 8:31 pm

No one saying Dixon is Wooden. Just a comparison with a guy that took over a perennial loser vs. a guy that took over a perennial winner.

Comment by gc 03.10.17 @ 8:45 pm

Bryce Drew > Stallings

Ralph Williard’s Son Kevin Almost Beat Nova and Have 21 Wins > Stallings

Random Horse Cock > Stallings

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.10.17 @ 9:16 pm

Iowa State is now 11-2 since the start of February. TCU played their third game in three days tonight.

TCU beat #1 ranked Kansas an hour from their campus yesterday. TCU will be making their first postseason appearance in five years (CBI). TCU will be making their first NIT appearance since 2005. TCU won as many conference games this season as they had in the preceding 3 seasons.

Pitt has their first losing record since the 1999-2000 season. Pitt had their worst conference record since 1977. Pitt missing their first postseason since 1999-2000.

Dixon certainly looking great compared to Stallings.

Comment by Barvo 03.10.17 @ 9:30 pm

Drew 3 for 3 against Florida this season.

Comment by Barvo 03.10.17 @ 9:32 pm

Drew lost his PG (leading points and assists) and C (2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder) from last season.

Drew > Stallings for sure

Comment by Barvo 03.10.17 @ 9:35 pm

Barvo for AD

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.10.17 @ 9:35 pm

In business, we fire people on Mondays. Patience fellow alums.

Comment by Dan 72 03.10.17 @ 10:02 pm

The Bell tolls on the 13th for Otis !

Comment by Emel 03.10.17 @ 10:10 pm

No. 23 Iowa St trounces TCU 84-63 to reach Big 12 title game

ESPN

Comment by PittofDreams 03.10.17 @ 10:29 pm

We fire on Fridays. Less chance of drama on Friday ajd weekend.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.10.17 @ 10:32 pm

Former Pitt now TCU Coach Jamie Dixon after the Game…

“I got millions of BUYOUT bucks. I’m back at my alma mater. Man, I’m on top of the world.”

“Big shoutout to all my supporters back in the Burgh!”

Comment by PittofDreams 03.10.17 @ 10:35 pm

I actually prefer to fire people on a Friday as well and normally first thing in the morning.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 03.10.17 @ 11:23 pm

@PittofDream I’ll cheer for Dixon in the Post season and for TCU to advance when they play.

You can cheer for Stallings to advance from the couch, to the fridge, and eventually to the sh-tter.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 03.10.17 @ 11:28 pm

Tony – You mean to Bob Ton to work and sell Rockports.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.10.17 @ 11:42 pm

You know I had liked Craig Meyer’s beat for the PG this season. Then he dropped this:

link to post-gazette.com

He apparently buys in to the shadow of Dixon over the program BS from coaching style to recruiting failures used by so many Stallings apologists. Stallings has a history. I don’t understand why so many choose to ignore it.

After the failures next season it will still be Dixon’s fault because Stallings had to bring in so many new guys and it took them a season to sort things out. This truly isn’t going to end for 2 more years. Sigh….

Comment by Barvo 03.11.17 @ 2:39 am

Personally, I’ll still be blaming what happens next year on Kithcart.

Comment by PittofDreams 03.11.17 @ 9:36 am

Barvo, there have been a few posts which humorously posit that local reporters produce puff pieces so they don’t miss out on free sandwiches and cookies. Sadly, there is a shred of truth therein.

Journalism has disappointingly evolved to be much more akin to propaganda than an independent perspective on things. Frankly, that is why blogs such as the Blather have taken hold. Take Chas. Arbitrarily select any his threads and you will find hard facts with editorializations sprinkled in. How refreshing compared to the local rags which do nothing but repeat what the Sports Information Department espouses. Then comes the editor, who most often has his or her own agenda (think PSU) plus a keen awareness of political correctness and by the time it reaches the reader the content is worthless.

The poor sap you are talking about actually thinks he is doing his job. Which, I guess he is if the criteria is dissemination of the requisite party line.

Some major media markets, such as Chicago and the Big Apple have a few traditionalists who would drum Stallings out of town. But Pittsburgh? If you didn’t folow college BB and relied on local reporters, you would think Stallings was a reincarnation of Ray Meyer.

Comment by Wally 03.11.17 @ 9:47 am

Follow Craig Meyer on Twitter and you get a better sense of how he truly feels about the program. Beat writers are an extension of the schools athletic department. The schools grant access and dictate stories. It’s why both papers have similar stories at the same time. Pitt is feeding them propaganda.

It’s also why the most critical articles on Pitt are written by other writers at the papers rather than the beat writers.

Craig is just doing his job within the confines of what he’s allowed to. Once again, you should be blaming Pitt for the information we’re given. Craig is much more honest critiquing the program on Twitter.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.11.17 @ 10:17 am

Has Pitt even interviewed anyone for the AD lost yet?

Or is it being left to Herman to conduct the search for the Holy Grail…from Corvallis ?

Comment by Emel 03.11.17 @ 10:39 am

^ AD post ^

>needs some more coffee<

Comment by Emel 03.11.17 @ 10:40 am

Emel – Chris Peak posted an article about a week ago on the search and a candidate that’s popped up but it was behind a paywall so I couldn’t see it.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.11.17 @ 10:46 am

Speaking of PG’s…hopefully next year’s additions will be able to shoot Free Throw’s. (kinda important for a PG, you know)

Kittycart was one of the worst I’ve ever seen.
He shot 31% FT’s. Was even worse at FG’s, 30% and was a comical 19% from 3.

Upitt could even hoist up 10 and make 2.

Comment by Emel 03.11.17 @ 10:50 am

~ TT….so apparently naming Tressel early was another media ruse…similar to the Sean Miller ruse.

Comment by Emel 03.11.17 @ 10:54 am

Otis has a history, besides a LOSING history.

Another reason, one has to shake one’s head why the BoT allowed this clown to be hired.

link to anchorofgold.com

Comment by Emel 03.11.17 @ 11:01 am

Id make 5-7 free throws. Easily

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.11.17 @ 12:19 pm

haha upitt…i was talking about 3’s.

Comment by Emel 03.11.17 @ 1:34 pm

Thank God the ACC won’t let their teams participate in that abortion called the CBi. Cause I’m quite sure Pitt would say ok….if we can make a nickle.

Even if it meant getting embarrassed by some no name school in the 1st Round.

L-Ville has played 32 games. Their highest point total of the season, was against Pitt. 106 points….next highest against some D2 school.

Pitt…..headed towards D2 status under Otis !

Comment by Emel 03.11.17 @ 1:39 pm

Emel – it could have been Tressel being rumored. I couldn’t see who it was.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.11.17 @ 2:34 pm

Everyday this bum is our coach speaks to zero shits given to our basketball program

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.11.17 @ 2:39 pm

Pitt’s alternate universe at Vanderbilt this year:

link to tennessean.com

Comment by Barvo 03.11.17 @ 3:19 pm

Pitt Baseball shutout again against L’Ville. Comical.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.11.17 @ 3:34 pm

Interesting story line his morning’s Post Gazette.

Makes the point of some my recent posts concerning Jamie Dixon’s flight from Pittsburgh… of course, minus the BUYOUT bucks.

********
It was that draw and the emotional pull of returning to his alma mater, after all, that prompted Dixon to leave Pitt after years of spurning offers from suitors, including previous overtures from Del Conte.

“It’s not about trying to keep him; it’s about the next step,” former Pitt athletic director Scott Barnes said of Dixon’s decision to leave. “When a guy’s heart and head isn’t in it, you can’t resuscitate that.”

********

Just to make it easy.

link to post-gazette.com

Comment by PittofDreams 03.12.17 @ 6:11 am

Point is… don’t be disillusioned to think Pitt had the “option” of retaining Dixon.

Simply credit Jamie’s Agent for masterminding the PERFECT Getaway.

Comment by PittofDreams 03.12.17 @ 6:15 am

PoD – hoping Stallings has the same agent as JD.

Comment by Erie Express 03.12.17 @ 7:02 am

POD – I think it was a 2 way street with Dixon, everyone appreciated what he did for the program, but his recruiting struggles (regardless of where you want to place the blame) were wearing on the program, and were obvious to everyone, so it really was the perfect time to go for both sides (Pitt & him). And Barnes’ incompetent effort to handle the transition doesn’t change that fact. Now it’s time to move on. Thankfully, Barnes is gone, now if we could get out of that contract and get rid of Stallings- almost nobody wants him here, and he absolutely must be aware of that.

Comment by 1618mt 03.12.17 @ 7:58 am

It’s not that black and white. Dixon started feeling that way because he felt he wasn’t appreciated at Pitt. By the time he left, it was a two way street. Both Pitt and Dixon wanted a change of scenery. And to be honest, both probably needed a change of scenery. Dixon had the golden parachute of that exodus being his alma mater and Pitt did the right thing by letting him out of his contract as Dixon had earned it. Instead of Pitt taking advantage of an opportunity to pump new blood into the program, they hired Dixon-light. A less successful, seasoned, head coach in a lesser basketball league who was in more of a need of a change of scenery than Dixon was. SMH.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.12.17 @ 9:25 am

As we sit home watching almost all other teams play in the post season, what are our options to rebuild. I say few and none except we control attendance.

Comment by Frank MD 03.12.17 @ 10:05 am

Frank MD – options may be few, but one that I suggest you exercise is writing a letter expressing your displeasure with the current men’s BB program. Send it to both the Chancellor and our acting AD, Dr. Randy Juhl.

IMO, they are the two who “could” make a change for the better. I wrote and mailed my letter early last week – both offices received the letter, but I’m not sure if they read it.

I felt better after writing the letter and even better when I dropped them off at the Post Office last Monday.

Better days are ahead for Pitt BB – Barnes is gone and now Stallings must follow…

Comment by Erie Express 03.12.17 @ 10:18 am

it comes down to dollars and results. why pay dixon millions to be mediocre in the acc when you can get the same results with stallings at a discounted rate.

Comment by goalie44 03.12.17 @ 12:18 pm

plus, the more we spend on bb, the less there is for football.. its just that simple.

Comment by goalie44 03.12.17 @ 12:20 pm

Narduzzi catching a men’s BB game in Pittsburgh and it’s not at the Pete.

link to mobile.twitter.com

Comment by Erie Express 03.12.17 @ 1:07 pm

Don’t know what Pitt is charging for Season Tickets for Bball. But there are going to be thousands of empty seats in the Pete next year, much worse than this year, which was a Record Low attendance since the Pete opened.

What is the lost revenue?

And add in the ancillary revenue from Food and Beverage purchases, Pitt gear purchases, donations to the athletic dept, etc.

Otis must go, before the Pete is a total White Elephant.

It took a near $200 million dollar investment to make Pitt BBall relevant for a decade.

They won’t be doing that again….anytime soon.

Comment by Emel 03.12.17 @ 1:55 pm

A friend of mine who used to work in the Pitt AD dept tells me the loss next year could be close to $2.5 million IF Pitt averages 6,000 tickets sold per home game next season.

IF Stallings is still the coach, Pitt might average 3,000 per home game. $5 million is a lot of money to lose over and over.

IF the Stallings buyout is even close to $5 million, the math makes sense to cut him now.

Comment by Erie Express 03.12.17 @ 2:20 pm

Agree EE.

Cut your losses now, before they become epic.

Of course Pitt usually waits until things hit Rock Bottom…before they doing anything drastic.

Comment by Emel 03.12.17 @ 2:47 pm

Pitt cannot afford a half empty Pete giving KS time to prove himself with his players. Pure economics. Cut bait. Find another fishing hole. KS should have been able to prove himself this year. He’s only proven to be a poor representative of Pitt, a mediocre coach on the decline, and ASSCLOWN.

Comment by TX Panther 03.12.17 @ 3:05 pm

Root for ACC teams in NCAA as money is split evenly to all teams even if they are not in the NCAA

Comment by Frank MD 03.12.17 @ 4:49 pm

You guys are all so unfair…come on, Stallings is an offensive genius! Just take a look at the PG article from yesterday:

“Pitt recorded six of the 14 lowest shooting percentages in a half in program history this season”

Oh uh, forget what I just said.

Comment by DD 03.12.17 @ 5:21 pm

I don’t think HCKS was the only coach considered for the job last year. I think he was a desperation hire because all of their top candidates turned down their requests for interviews. What young coaching prospect would want to follow Dixon at Pitt when 11 NCAA tournaments and the best regular season record of any coach in the BE while Pitt was in that conference was considered to be a failure by our moron, one and done, AD? We screwed our selves for years in FB when we fired DW, and we just did the same thing in BB by running Dixon out of town. This university is run like the Cleveland Browns before this season. Clueless morons running a multi hundred million dollar enterprise.

Comment by HbgFrank 03.12.17 @ 5:26 pm

I agree. The Pitt admin runs things like the Clowns. We need to run things like the Pats and Steelers. Therefore you need very strong coaches and a very strong AD. And then an owner thats doesnt mess but sets you up for success. This Pitt admin is run by a bunch of ASSCLOWNS and Nitters. I swear there are Pedos planted in this admin that work against Pitt. Patty needs to tell the BoT that they have marginal say in athletics. Boosters need to shove those Nitters out of the BoT and those that undervalue athletics and what it does to a university’s brand. You cannot have a healthy university without a good balance between academics and athletics. If Pitt wants to be excellent in academics, it must have the same commitment to athletics. There is no reason why Pitt cant be the Stanford of the East and better.

Comment by TX Panther 03.12.17 @ 6:36 pm

Q: Why is coach Kevin Stallings and his team like a possum?
A: Because they play dead at home and get killed on the road.

Comment by Erie Express 03.12.17 @ 6:37 pm

This one is for Sir Patrick G –

Q: What did Kevin Stallings say after his team won the Championship?
A: Dammit mom, why did you f-ing wake me up? I was having a f-ing amazing dream!

Comment by Erie Express 03.12.17 @ 6:45 pm

Q. Why was Cinderella such a bad basketball player?
A. Because her “coach” was Kevin Stallings.

I’m done – catch younwhen there is some new BB news in Pittsburgh.

Comment by Erie Express 03.12.17 @ 7:09 pm

KS has a running ass that he refuse to wipe. Over time this ass begins to smell. Pitt needs to wipe its ass clean of KS and find a coach that doesnt have runny ass syndrome.

Comment by TX Panther 03.12.17 @ 9:08 pm

I can’t seem to find Pitt on my Bracket.

Oh that’s right we are coached by Captain Turd.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.12.17 @ 10:02 pm

Pulled this from an article in the P-G by Ron Cook –

“But this Pitt season was so bad that it almost was unbelievable. Its 4-14 record in the ACC was its worst league record in 40 years. It finished 16-17 overall, its first losing season since 1999-2000. I was at a basketball function a few days after Pitt lost at home by 55 to Louisville and heard prominent former Pitt players talking about how embarrassed they were to be associated with the program because of the players’ lack of fight. They could have included the coach; Kevin Stallings quit on his team that day by getting ejected with 14:27 left. I didn’t have the heart to ask the alums what they thought about Pitt losing to Duquesne in December. They would have wanted to crawl in a hole somewhere.”

That says a lot about the BB program right there. Time to rearrange the rocking chairs on the front porch and remove one of those currently seated on the porch. It’ll look better…

Comment by Erie Express 03.13.17 @ 3:37 am

Who is Pitt’s new AD? I’m out of country and want to get current in Pitt athletics. No NCAA or NIT this year. Ouch!

Comment by MariettaMike 03.13.17 @ 5:50 am

[never shared]

RSS feed for these comments.