March 4, 2017

UPDATE (11:58): Worth tossing to the top. Starting lineup will exclude Artis and Young. Milligan and Luther starting in their place.

12 pm, ACC Network Syndication or ACCN Extra/Watch ESPN.

Last regular season game and then an opening round game in Brooklyn for the ACC Tournament. Sadly, with the effort and outcomes in prior games, it is hard to believe Pitt will make any noise at the ACC Tournament.

Pitt goes into Charlottesville looking to lock down that 13th seed and meeting Clemson in the opening game. A loss would put them in a tie for 14th with NC State, and presumably because they lost in head to head against the Wolfpack drop them to the 14th seed. That would mean playing either Georgia Tech or Wake Forest.

I know, high drama.

Speaking of high drama…

Justice Kithcart being dismissed from the team at this point. No reason given beyond the always popular catch-all of, “conduct detrimental to the team.”

“It is a privilege to play basketball at the University of Pittsburgh and with that privilege comes the responsibility to conduct oneself in the appropriate manner,” said Stallings. “Unfortunately, Justice has been unable to uphold that standard. We wish him the best of luck in the future.”

That Kithcart might leave/be pushed out after this season would not have been a surprise. His playing time was limited. And aside from the Boston College game and a couple early games against bad teams, he looked completely overmatched.

But to be kicked off the team with essentially two games left. That’s eyebrow raising.

You don’t have to be a fan of Coach Kevin Stallings to think that this is not what Stallings wanted to do. Not this close to the season being over. Letting Kithcart quietly transfer out and get a fresh start without any cloud over him after the season. That would obviously be preferred by all parties.

Yet, the need to get rid of him now. Fuel speculation for the reasons. Project an image of a program in complete disarray.  It seems that Kithcart may have crossed some line.

Truly, we are experiencing some interesting times in Pitt basketball not seen since the 90s.

175 comments

Next year will be the first real transition/rebuilding year we have seen at Pitt in a long time. Have to hope that several of the new guys will be ACC ready, but fully expect to finish at the bottom next year.

Really disappointing to not have any interest in March Madness this year, feel especially bad for Young and Artis who were hung out to dry by non-existent recruiting over the last three years. Wish them well in their futures, see them both having good careers overseas.

Comment by gc 03.04.17 @ 9:42 am

Funny how we used to complain about our seeding and how Jamie would lose to early in the tourney. Now it appears there are no Tourneys in our foreseeable future.

Comment by gc 03.04.17 @ 9:45 am

Maybe Stallings will be our BBall Chryst, and bring in enough decent players that the next guy can win some games. Too soon?

Comment by gc 03.04.17 @ 9:46 am

Under normal circumstances, Stallings gets to ride out the storm. Under the suspicion of cronyism and the AD who hired him leaving coupled with the epic collapse of a once proud program and a rapidly alienated fan base … do I need to go on? Stallings should be immediately relieved of his duties following the season. Start over. Blow it all up. Pitt has enough players leaving the program to flush out the poisoned culture that has crept in.

Could it be different once Stallings gets his own players? Maybe … but he’s done nothing in his career to show he can. If he had a track record this season could possibly be written off as a fluke but there is no historical evidence that he can do it.

Fire Stallings.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.04.17 @ 9:54 am

By the way, it kills me to write that. If anything people say I’m too optimistic about Pitt in general. It really is sad at how quickly the basketball program fell. Some will say it’s been happening the last 5 years. I’ll be the first to admit that Pitt had hit a rut and settled into a rut and mediocrity had started creeping in. Handled right though, next year could have been new beginnings. As gc mentioned, it was our first rebuild this century. With the state of the program I was looking forward to the fresh start. Now, I’m afraid, Pitt may be taking residence in the cellar on a more permanent basis.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.04.17 @ 9:59 am

gc, I have absolutely no interest in this year’s NCAA basketball tournament. Yes, we’ve been spoiled over last decade. But this year was especially disappointing. I fully expected this team to be much better with the retuning players we had. We all knew next season would be tough. Who would have thought that the Panthers would only have 4 ACC wins.

Comment by Justinian 03.04.17 @ 10:06 am

I love CBB so I’m still excited for March Madness but Pitt has definitely sucked some of that excitement.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.04.17 @ 10:23 am

Tossing, It seems like a light year ago when DeJuan Blair grabbed the rebound and threw Thabeet over his back!

Comment by Justinian 03.04.17 @ 10:27 am

We still don’t have an AD.

My God bigger roles are filled in 1 month so this shows you why Pitt stinks. Decisions have red tape and there are no rain makers. No wonder Joamie left working for Fat Fuck Head Herman.

There is no balls in athletics at Pitt.

80% programs givin the circumstances fire Stallings tomorrow night.

Not Pitt where we haven’t had a AD in 3 months.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 10:39 am

12 man search committee is moronic. Let’s give everyone a shot and let’s let leaders not do there job so they can hide and not be accountable. This is like a participation trophy.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 10:41 am

link to images.performgroup.com

He makes 70k a game.If you want to give to this moron or the Moron AD’s relocation back home fine.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 10:48 am

Upitt – AD searches are slow for every school. We hired Narduzzi without an AD. It’s not that big a deal. This one can’t be blamed on the BoT.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.04.17 @ 10:49 am

Color me skeptical Chas. While I agree most professionals would approach the Kithcart matter with an eye toward preserving the university’s brand/reputation and endeavoring to facilitate a soft landing for the student, I consider Stallings to potentially be the exception. In my view he would have no compunction deploying a scorched earth tactic with Kithcart. His mouth is one of his trademarks as evidenced by his pressers
My guess is they are reflective of how he makes and acts on decisions as well.

Comment by Wally 03.04.17 @ 10:59 am

Wally – in other words, Stallings does not represent Pitt in a good way in any situation.

Agreed!

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 11:15 am

No question about it Erie. As I have pointed out many times. Stallings is devoid of the most fundamental leadership skills. With this guy it is always about himself first. That includes how he communicates.

Comment by Wally 03.04.17 @ 11:21 am

The guys is a cancer in every facet of coaching. He does nothing well.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 11:44 am

Stallings has to go. He’s lost too many close games with a team full of seniors. He’s let too many leads get erased. Double digit leads! At the Maryland game I thought maybe it was just because Maryland was good. When Buffalo cut a 26 point lead to 1, I knew it was trouble. Stallings has to go.

Comment by ShorePitt 03.04.17 @ 11:53 am

HCKS is not a leader. He could have 2 NBA players on his team and find ways to make them play poorly. You want proof? He he 2 his last season at Vandy and did nothing with them.

I’m sure those guys wouldn’t listen either so……..

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 03.04.17 @ 12:05 pm

So now that perhaps even the NIT is out of reach Stallings decides to discipline both Young and Artis with benching. It’s the perfect epilogue to the season in general and the coaching in particular.

@TT I just hope the administration sees it the way that you see it.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 12:17 pm

Stallings a total joke

Comment by gc 03.04.17 @ 12:21 pm

Tony Bennett cannot believe the team he is facing today.

2 points in the first 8 minutes and the opposing coach hasn’t called a TO.

UVA will get credit for their shut down D today, when in reality Pitt BB has shut down.

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 12:23 pm

Stallings is a man of vision with sitting Young and Artist he allows us to get a glipse of Pitt basketball for next season.

Comment by Spindler's Spirit 03.04.17 @ 12:27 pm

Ten minutes in and Pitt has yet to make a basket.

Down 19-2 and still no TO, MY or ole Artis

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 12:28 pm

Gallagher owes all Pitt Fans and athletes an apology for the complete failure of Barnes/Stallings. This is worse than Heywood/Graham.

I have made a decision today and will not return to the Pete till Stallings is gone.

Comment by gc 03.04.17 @ 12:29 pm

Eleven minutes to make the first bucket – wow!

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 12:30 pm

Ugly! The good news is finally made a shot.

Comment by Justinian 03.04.17 @ 12:31 pm

I’ve got some work around the house that requires I get up on a ladder, which I hate.

Watching this game makes me motivated to climb the ladder – lol.

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 12:36 pm

I have it on good authority that the reason we don’t have a new AD is that we are waiting for BB season to be over so HCKS can assume role of chairman of said committee.

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 12:38 pm

And yes, we are all relieved this will occur this week, sooner rather than later!

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 12:40 pm

So Stallings can’t make the seniors run laps or some other punishment, he has to punish the team and the fans by giving another game away.

Comment by gc 03.04.17 @ 12:42 pm

Where is the Stallings apologist now??? I could run that fucking athletic department better from my house in Texas

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 12:44 pm

Where is that dork Dokish swing off’s called Stallings taint

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 12:45 pm

We ARE GOING TO LOSE BY 50!!!

Stallings has to go. All players on this shitty team has to go. Everything about this program has to be blown up completely.

We have become the worst team in the ACC and the ACC actually picked us for our basketball and not football remember.

We Phuckin Suck. And Barnes and Gallagher and the BoT can go straight to HELL.

We are an abortion. A red headed step child. A dirty diaper. I could go on and on.

Comment by TX Panther 03.04.17 @ 12:45 pm

Even if your a supporter of HCKS you really cannot say anything good about the guy. His decisions and the way he handles things on the court (calling no TO no matter what) off the court the whole Sheldan Jeter situation and now Kithcart sitting MY and JA for there last regular season game this coach really is doing any and everything to make all pitt fans already calling for him to be fired. It starting with the search firm and has been a complete disaster since then.

Comment by PittPanFan 03.04.17 @ 12:46 pm

I, for one am grateful we still have all out time outs left at the end of the half. That is what you try to accomplish, right??

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 12:48 pm

That is the fourth foul they didn’t give us.

Comment by gc 03.04.17 @ 12:48 pm

I think we have more TOs than buckets at the half.

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 12:49 pm

I really wish I can slap the s*** out of “Noise” Barnes right about now.

Comment by PittPanFan 03.04.17 @ 12:50 pm

I will help Stallings pack for Corvallis. Who’s with me?

Comment by Dan 72 03.04.17 @ 12:50 pm

LOL JoeKnew now thats funny

Comment by PittPanFan 03.04.17 @ 12:50 pm

I’m in Dan 72. I would love to pack a gift for Barnes too.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 12:57 pm

Told you Barnes was poisen 2 years ago.

Told you Slappy Rockports was a trainwreck.

No AD Dept would keep him employed. None except Pitt. This is why this place
Is a national embarrassment in Athletics. No balls.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 1:01 pm

@Upitt Dokish continues to produce love tweets for Stallings. Apparently he is over “giving up on Pitt bball” after Stallings was hired in March. Dokish using all the talking points:

Winningest coach in Vandy history
7 NCAA touranments (half of total)
Offensive genius while quoting supporting polls and coach interview excerpts
Continues to tout recruiting class

Flip Side:
Stallings had the most total wins but not the best winning percentage. He had a losing conference record.
Vandy had four appearances in the NCAA field from 1985-1999 once the field expanded to 64.
Coaches support other coaches and polls don’t mean dick
He pumped all of Dixon’s recruiting classes too (including last year’s class)

So the point differential actually increased once all the regular starters entered or re-entered the game at around the 10 minute mark of the first half.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 1:08 pm

The following can score more than 13 points in a half.

1. A Dog’s Dick
2. A Oyster Shell
3. Shit Flea at a Urinal at Mitchell’s Tavern in August.
4. Johnny Majors in 20 years after a 24 pack.
5. A 5’1 Tranny he/she

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 1:11 pm

I love it, Pitt goes on a 4 point run and Bennett calls a TO cause he doesn’t like what they were doing. Kinda contrasting styles. Doesn’t he know total TOS left at end matter?? What a maroon!

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 1:11 pm

The BoT caused this. Gallagher gave the green light. The BoT and the guy who is their puppet (Gallagher) should be hands off athletics. They can touch academics all day long but they don’t know diddly about sports. This porch that Gallagher talks about still has cats and dogs leaving underneath and has a ratty Hoopie Couch. Our new AD must has dictator powers much like Trump. Only way to achieve excellence and sustained success. The BoT is the swamp and Gallagher is a tool and fool. Thats Fucktard in my book.

Comment by TX Panther 03.04.17 @ 1:11 pm

Barvo that guy is a kool aid dork who has a athletic history of playing beer league softball and friday bowling league.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 1:13 pm

The uva player named Guy looks like a girl.

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 1:19 pm

@Upitt LOL

Forgot to add that one of Stallings NCAA appearances occurred last year when KS was the beneficiary of field expansion to 68.

So KS will no longer allow Milligan, Nix and Wilson to participate in a 20 point beat down by UVA. Point taken.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 1:19 pm

Did you see those last few turnovers? – both made by seniors.

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 1:24 pm

Imagine if Pitt for a second wasnt a barrel
Of pussies and made a statement and fired this dicksock toniht. Id send in 10k in the morning. Ok really 5k but I’d be proud to be a panther instantly. 13 points in a half. In 20 mins of play I’d make Stalling and team walk home. Remember lads he is making 70k today. Ask yourself if he earned it.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 1:24 pm

This display of temper tantrum coaching should be the last straw for anyone who is holding out and giving Stallings the benefit of the doubt. Is it too much to expect the head coach to be the adult in the room? How childish to make examples of these seniors in their final regular season game in such a diminutive manner.

I frankly am at a loss for words to describe how small this man is. And I am ashamed of my university for allowing it to happen. On TV for the world to see no less.

As UPITT points out, if you took the balls of this Pitt administration and put them in the belly of a fruit fly, you would still have room for a watermelon.

Comment by Wally 03.04.17 @ 1:29 pm

KS is making a point that this losing season is not the players!

Comment by Lville Panther 03.04.17 @ 1:30 pm

UPitt. I’ll match your 5k

Comment by Dan 72 03.04.17 @ 1:32 pm

I’m not crying when Jamel leaves. His turnovers this season, particularly today, have been brutal. When that’s half of your senior leadership, that’s part of our problem.

It can only go up from here.

Comment by KeyboardKev 03.04.17 @ 1:32 pm

Not one time out called by the Pitt coach – we are down 34 and it it getting worse.

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 1:34 pm

Not 34 but 24 –

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 1:35 pm

maybe we ought to offer the AD job to Jamie Dixon to get him to come back as BBall Coach. Oh no, the refs just saw KS clapping and mistook it as a TO signal.

Comment by Giffer in Denver 03.04.17 @ 1:36 pm

I think JoeKnew may be on to something.

I am guessing Barnes built an incentive into Stallings contract that he gets a $100K bonus if he has more than 50 TOs banked at the end of the season. Game stoppages do not making for exciting basketball. Then again neither do losses.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 1:37 pm

Jump shot,clank, jump shot, clank, repeat. But honestly, don’t you love the in game adjustments?? I agree with Doke, HCKS is my all time favorite Pitt coach, replacing Haywood. What in the world were they thinking?? You could not have possibly come up with a poorer fit for this team if you tried.

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 1:38 pm

Dan72 – I have more respect for people who robs banks than the stealing Stallings and Barnes have done to Pitt.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 1:38 pm

It took him 35 min to call a time out.

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 1:39 pm

Veiled Clyde Vaughn reference.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 1:40 pm

JoeKnew – I’d rather Jerry Tarkanian’s Urn of ashes than this dickpepper stallings. The man loooks like a defeated shoesalesman who just heard about Zappos.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 1:40 pm

Another bad game amongst many

Comment by Frank MD 03.04.17 @ 1:40 pm

True or False – Barnes head weighs over 75 lbs?

Noise my ass.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 1:41 pm

Ryan Luther LMAO. Maybe the slowest guy I’ve ever seen.

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 1:42 pm

Give Luther a bit of credit. He spent 6 weeks in a boot and is only in his second game back. However he still managed to get to the rim only to be thwarted by a weak side defender.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 1:44 pm

Booooo

Booooo

Basement dwelling empty Pete or fire Stallings?

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 1:45 pm

Barnes head easily weighs over 75 pounds. Very dense so that noise doesn’t penetrate.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 1:45 pm

15 points at the half.

Stallings = conduct unbecoming

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 1:47 pm

Not one starter in double figures today – Slim lead the way with 9

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 1:48 pm

This team will get trounced in the ACC tourney as well.

And Gallagher should step and refuse to let them play in the CBA Loser thing.

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 1:48 pm

Tark’s urn, reminds me of my summer working at my buddies families crematorium in West Palm, but I regress.
UVA is an example of what a team can do with a coach. How can the BOT possibly not be pissed having someone steal their money. They may not care about athletics, but they are so tight with a buck. They have to be livid.

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 1:49 pm

Barb, when you have been out that long, and are slow to begin with, why take it to the hoop?? Even he has to know he is sloooooowwww.

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 1:52 pm

Joe – or did the BoT even know Pitt had a BB game today?

My guess is no.

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 1:53 pm

Barvo, sorry, spell check. Anyhow, Luther was the least of the problems. Just a little preview of next year. Saw this happen to Duquesne, but nowhere near as fast.

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 1:55 pm

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 1:57 pm

#FireStallings

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 1:57 pm

Erie, BOT only cares about money, and even they know when someone steals. They wanted out of JDs contract, but declining revenue and a coach who steals from them, ya, one thing rich guys care about is their money. They went cheap but didn’t even get what they paid for. Cost-benefit analysis should fell the tale.

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 2:00 pm

For those of you with the stomach to have watched this abortion of a game (?)…..i salute you !

2-19 in first 10 minutes of game.

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 2:06 pm

The Board of Regents, nitwits, whatever…need to cut our losses now.

Do they have the guts to say….hey we made a YUGE mistake…letting the Loser come to Pitt.

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 2:09 pm

Emel – If anyone supports this coach next year and attends a game then they are part of the problem.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 2:13 pm

Seriously guys, noise (no pun intended) needs to be made now. My letter to Gallager will be in the mail Monday. The KS era will never end well. Pitt needs to cut their losses. Time is not going to make things better with this clueless dick at the helm. Lance the boil!

Comment by Wally 03.04.17 @ 2:19 pm

Ditto Wally.

No more shekels to Pitt unless the Boil is lanced.

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 2:24 pm

Id rather shit my pants on live tv in a white suit than watch one minute or ever attend a game as long as this fucktard is part of the program. To his apologist go buy dinocat gear and suck off the BOT of nerds.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 2:26 pm

Or expunged.

What a Loser. This team was a laughing stock since the Record Loss to Louisville in front of the faithful and Loser not even having the manhood to sit on the bench and suffer thru it.

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 2:26 pm

Looking back on things….LoSER should have been fired after they lost to lowly Duquesne.

That very nite in fact, should have been shown the door, since the game wasn’t even close.

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 2:28 pm

Pitt’s followup to 12 Years a Slave.

“17 Years a Loser”

Autobiography of Kevin Stallings

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 2:32 pm

I hate this Phuckin Shit head of a coach and the pathetic, gutless, heartless, mindless players on this team. I thank Dixon fo this mess. That multiple wife homesick Barnes, that clueless old shoe salesmen KS and that moron of a Chancellor who reports to a dicksock BoT.

Comment by TX Panther 03.04.17 @ 2:34 pm

So Year One of the Regular Season of the Loser Era
Ends with Pitt sitting in 14th place in a 15 team conference.

link to espn.com

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 2:37 pm

Emel – Toolbag Dokish insists he is awesome and great because that fatass can’t admit he is wrong 99% of the time. He is an embarrassement to Twitter.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 2:44 pm

Expect nonetheless from nonathletic Hillary Supporter.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 2:46 pm

Yea I just tweeted Loser’s conf record to Dokass…since he wanted FACTS

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 2:49 pm

Add in Pitt’s conf record this year 4-14.

Loser now has a 142 & 156 conf record in last 18 years.

And Pitt is paying this clown $70K per game.

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 2:53 pm

Emel – Love your twitter handle

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 2:55 pm

Do you think KS is tanking on purpose to try and get a higher lottery pick in the upcoming draft? Before you dismiss that idea, remember he apparently doesn’t know what a timeout is or how to use them.

Comment by OrlandoPittAlum 03.04.17 @ 3:00 pm

He is 60 and looks 80

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 3:06 pm

I’m so glad my 7 year old had a game and I got to miss that train wreck. Originally, I was supposed to be at the game. I decided to give the tickets to my 9 year old’s coaches (Juniors in HS/UVA fans) as a thank you. I was a little leary about teenagers coaching my boy but it ended being a great experience for my son (and the coaches). At the game my kid was leading scorer with 8 and hustled on def all game. A much more rewarding couple of hours.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.04.17 @ 3:09 pm

Congrats Tossing!! Those teenagers are more qualified to coach Pitt than this fuckrock we have.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 3:17 pm

This is the most depressing site going. All of you bb experts out there know everything that went on with this team all year. Yeah right! Blame who you want but you have your whipping boy in KS. This is a team that was a marginal NCAA team the last two years and had no hope of going there this year with no pg and no center and most of you bb know-it-all’s wanted a Sweet 16 with this talent. I particularly like how you favorite pastime is calling others names. That is a real mature response to the troubles of this team and program. I don’t know who to blame but I do know that the talent was not there, blame JD for that!!

Comment by JP 03.04.17 @ 3:18 pm

Everyone should follow Wally’s lead and write a letter to Sir Patrick G. Get them in the mail on Monday and by St. Patrick’s Day we mat see our prayers answered.

#firestallings

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 3:20 pm

JP – Blame the man not employed and not the one making 2.2M. Glad to know you wprk in athletics. This site isnt negative the program is there chief.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 3:22 pm

Jp – One player away from making the tourney last year and winning 6 more games. Blame Jamie all you want nit the moron coaching. Oh and 2 leading ACC scorers.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 3:24 pm

I think stallings kid has the initials JP

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 3:26 pm

the one that can’t hit in the minors but somehow got called up to the BIGS

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 3:26 pm

I actually do enjoy calling Stallings and JP’s favorite AD names. Because both suck at anytjing related to their jobs.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 3:27 pm

The entire athletics department can rot in Hell. Our football is just above mediocre. But all other programs are embarrassments. Basketball is the worst…both boys and girls. Our facilities besides the Pete suck. Our coaches are overpaid morons. We have no AD. Our Chancellor is nothing but lips. Our BoT are Pedo lovers and Nitters who have it out for Pitt.

Comment by TX Panther 03.04.17 @ 3:28 pm

Emel – His kid is atrocious. Look at this avg. even for a catcher it is bad.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 3:28 pm

12 folks on the AD selection panel lead by a pharmacist.
Comforting.
Call Tressel, but aside the holier-than-thou bullsit, and make the hire.

Comment by Gasman 03.04.17 @ 3:29 pm

JD – It’s not just the season. Most of us know that the team had deficiencies. No big man. No point guard. Just a bunch of small forwards. The issue are the drama, the lack of effort, the regression and the fact, after a questionable hiring process, that Stallings never endeared himself to the fans. Someone Twitter put it best. He knew the circumstances around his hire so he should have known to build up some goodwill. He obviously didn’t read the room.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.04.17 @ 3:30 pm

Thanks Upitt. It’s a blast watching your kids compete. I can’t say the same about Pitt basketball.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.04.17 @ 3:32 pm

Uh, here’s a Dokish gem of a tweet:
“Pitt was predicted to be 12th in the ACC this year. They were 13th. They were literally one win away from what was predicted.”

Somebody pointed out that they finished 14th and he responded that was only for ACC tourney seeding. He also neglected to mention that one loss difference was Clemson beating Pitt at The Pete by 7.

All coaches and teams should definitely be judged by end of season finish against their pre-season predicted finish. Pre-season predictions being so reliable and all…

@JP Stallings signed the 2016 class. They had all reopened after Dixon left. He recruited Kithcart while at Vanderbilt. He also successfully recruited Sheldon Jeter. So Stallings had a hand in this roster and chose to come to Pitt knowing its composition. It’s total BS to blame this season entirely on JD and the roster.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 3:36 pm

The guy at tcu left this program in its current state and tcu has lost their last 6 in a row, again this team has only appeared in 3 NCAA tournaments in the last 6 years.

This program was sliding prior to stallings. Stallings will be here 2 more seasons minimum they are not going to can him.

Face it Dixon had success but his recruiting was horrible in his last 3 seasons hence the horrible product on the court this season. Name 3 players on the current roster at Pitt that could play for UVa?

Comment by WLAT 910 radio and the big beat! 03.04.17 @ 3:43 pm

Dokish proves he is a Dork. Time and again.

Tossing – my little girl (7) did the talent show last night and I agree buddy. It was awesome!!

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 3:43 pm

I would love a job at Pittt as a coach!!!

No Pressure to win
Blame the last coach for 5 years
Extensions just because
No reporters that are w and L’s based.
Dorks in leadership that never played ball
Essentially an AD that is employed only 75% of a coaches tenure
What did I miss?

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 3:47 pm

Dokish, Dipaola, Zeise, etc. all peas in a pod and symptomatic of today’s journalists, (yeah right). They are incapable/ unwilling to change course and admit they were wrong. Insecurity and arrogance in play no doubt. Anybody with a brain and and open mind can see Pitt and Stallings are a bad fit and is destined for a bad ending. The guys who cover sports in this town are all caspar milquetoast types who need to grow a pair and do their jobs.

Comment by Wally 03.04.17 @ 4:03 pm

They’re all bought for as little as coldcuts and diet sodas.

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 4:17 pm

so all of a sudden, two 4 year starters have become, both past All-ACC scholars, have become bad apples?

You don’t think it has anything to do with a 2 million dollar per year coach constantly throwing his players under a bus, do you? Sound familiar? How did that turn out?

The only thing KS has ever proved is that he can recruit. Remember, last year with two #1 NBA draft picks, he finished with a total of 19 wins, and barely made the NCAAs.

Comment by wbb 03.04.17 @ 4:39 pm

Thank you Dixon for leaving us with these shitty players
Thank you Barnes for hiring this shitty coach
Thank you KS for a shitty coaching performance
And thank you Gallagher and the BoT for dumping this shit storm on us.

Comment by TX Panther 03.04.17 @ 5:02 pm

wbb – Vandy lost last year in one of the four play-in games.

Kind of like what we will see in the ACC tournament play-in game later this week in NYC, which used to be fertile Pitt recruiting grounds.

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 5:03 pm

Any chance Pitt is waiting to hire an AD to give them control to fire Stallings and use his total body of work as amo? I mean, is the buy out really that bad for Pitt? Just accept an extra 100 students for a few years.

Comment by ShorePitt 03.04.17 @ 5:06 pm

Vandy, which lost two #1 draft picks, is now only 2 wins short than last year’s total.

Comment by wbb 03.04.17 @ 5:06 pm

And why didn’t Manigault either play more or redshirt?

Comment by ShorePitt 03.04.17 @ 5:07 pm

Pitt with 8 foul shots and uva with 2. The refs saw the awful performance by Pitt that was unfolding and road the clock to a quick game like our HC did with his time outs.

Stallings called 1 TO near the end of the game – not 1 when his team struggled to make a basket in the 1st 11 minutes of the first half, nor when they were down 19 near the end of the 1st half.

HCKS waited until his team had NO chance of a comeback, down 27 to call his 1st TO late in the 2nd half.

Now that folks, is throwing in the towel. Stallings quit on this team – #firestallings.

Please…

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 5:09 pm

Maybe some higher-ups had a little scratch on UVA today.
Hard to believe two seniors, looking for a payout next year, would fold like this.

Darling, we have arrived home, at the bottom of the cesspool.

Comment by gasman 03.04.17 @ 5:18 pm

ShorePitt – Craig Meyers (Pitt beat writer) said in his weekly Q&A he expects Manigault to leave. That caught me by surprise so I hit him up on Twitter with a follow up question and he responded that it’s what he’s heard around the program. Sounded like he’s a goner.

That kind of bummed me out. I had seen Manigault in HS and another kid from the same school is joining the team next year, Aaron Thompson. I assumed that probably solidified him staying with the program. I will say that when I saw Manigault I expected him to redshirt and take a few years to develop. I was looking forward to it though. Aaron Thompson is the real thing. It won’t take long for Pitt fans to love him.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.04.17 @ 5:19 pm

That’s really disappointing. I like his size, athleticism and shooting touch. Seems like he’d be a good piece to build around. Never understood why he didn’t get more opportunities.

Comment by ShorePitt 03.04.17 @ 5:22 pm

Looks like we’ll be playing GT again Tuesday. I’d love to see Manigault shutdown Lattimer.

Comment by ShorePitt 03.04.17 @ 5:30 pm

I get the feeling that many Pitt players feel disenfrancised, not just Artis, Young and Manigault … and apparently Kithcart became pretty disenchanted.

Comment by wbb 03.04.17 @ 5:38 pm

Vanderbilt under Drew beat #12 Florida today to end up 10-8 in SEC play. They finished strong winning 5 of their last 6 games, only losing to #9 Kentucky at Lexington.

They got the ‘comer’ & we got the ‘loser’.

Took Loser 8 years to have a winning conf record in SEC.

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 5:43 pm

If Mangoat leaves, and he’s friend with Aaron Thompson (same HS apparently), with the why Pitt played for 2 months and losing 13 of our last 16 games….some of those just….’mailed in’.

Does Thompson now rethink his plans ?

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 5:47 pm

^ way not why^ with the way Pitt played….

Can’t say I would want to play for…well you know who.

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 5:48 pm

Upitt I went back and found this be careful for what you wish for:

Hgb – Does it really matter. A L is a L and Jamie has a lot of those in March. I wasn’t aware Wisconsin sucked? Rookie Head Coach yes but who said they sucked?
Dixon please go to TCU.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.20.16 @ 9:47 pm

Comment by WLAT 910 radio and the big beat! 03.04.17 @ 5:48 pm

Looking back at the comments we can see who all the masochists are! Give you all credit for watching that train wreck today.

This season cannot end quick enough.

For those still supporting Stallings…have you been watching this team? I wish we could hit reset button as well on coach…but with that contract and no AD we are stuck with him.

Comment by milobloom 03.04.17 @ 5:50 pm

After this beatdown by Cuse. If GT loses to us Tuesday, they’re out for sure.

Comment by ShorePitt 03.04.17 @ 5:57 pm

To set the records straight … I wasn’t expecting any type of ACC title run. Thinking middle of the pack was reasonable … but 4 – 14 and overall losing record?

Comment by wbb 03.04.17 @ 5:57 pm

The guy who coined the phrase “offensive genius” for Stalling and made it stick should be hired ASAP- this guy (whoever it is) is a marketing mastermind.

Comment by 1618mt 03.04.17 @ 5:59 pm

Wlat – Yes I wanted Skunkhead gone and replaced with a better coach. Not a never been loser grandpa from a dog dick conf.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 6:02 pm

A lot of people on this board predicted Pitt hoops was over when Dixon left……finding good coaches for Pitt is something that rarely works out for Pitt so not surprised when Stallings was hired.

Comment by milobloom 03.04.17 @ 6:05 pm

Crazy that Duke and Virginia will likely end up the 6 and 7 seeds. LOADED conference! Would be fun to be competitive!

Comment by ShorePitt 03.04.17 @ 6:10 pm

@Emel And Vanderbilt lost a starting PG and C (Wade Baldwin and Damian Jones) who happened to be their top two scorers from last season. Somehow Drew, who is not a renowned “offensive genius”, put Vanderbilt into an NCAA play-in game.

I add, only because it’s amusing and because I think it demonstrates the ineptness of Stallings, that Baldwin and Jones were first round NBA draft picks. Somehow Stallings lost a play-in game last season by 20 points with what should have been a more talented team.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 6:16 pm

In all seriousness and not name calling, have any of you seen a coaching style like his?? It isn’t that the team had shortcomings, it was his refusal to make even the smallest in game adjustments. Never,ever in over 50 years of playing and coaching have I ever seen that. And to have been on board since March or whenever and seen these players and to think a hands off approach would work is mind-numbing.
And to wait until the last game and play the accountability card and bench players and kick a kid off the team is , well, I don’t know what it is. Seriously, it took till the last game for him to see this?
Upitt, I disagree, this guy has the biggest balls I’ve ever seen, he is thumbing his nose at the entire university.
And for the last time, it is his coaching style I cannot stand and simply don’t understand, and, unfortunately do not feel willl ever change.

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 6:36 pm

TCU finished on a seven game slide (6-12) in conference with two blowout losses to Kansas and Baylor on the road. Kind of typical of Jamie Dixon’s last few years at Pitt. On the other hand TCU matched their accumulated win total from their previous 3 Big 12 seasons and appear to be firmly in the NIT field.

That one was for you Emel.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 7:07 pm

Burn the house down. KS and all associated with this house of shit must go.

Comment by Tx panther 03.04.17 @ 7:21 pm

Emel -I believe Thompson is bound to Pitt. He signed his LOI. No going back. You’ll like the kid. Tough as hell and has killer instinct.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.04.17 @ 7:26 pm

Gotta admit: from benching Artis at Duquesne, to failing to substitute in the second half of whatever game that was, to tossing Kithcart, to not starting two seniors today, I do like the do-it-my-way approach.
Doubt it will play out in a few years.
But I agree: hold em accountable.

Same could be said about Herman, Gallagher and the BOT

Comment by Gasman 03.04.17 @ 7:39 pm

I agree EMel, I wanted Drew out of the few guys who didn’t rejected us, like Archie. Maybe we can trade Stallings even up for Shart after Texas shows him the door.

This is not a team. I won’t be surprised if the next year was double our wins in the ACC with a good PG coming in.

Comment by Jackagain 03.04.17 @ 7:47 pm

@TT Agree, Thompson, Carr, Brown and Wilson-Frame are all signed. I think the only out is to ask for release. The rest of the class is only verbal.

@Jackagain Was that a typo, mash-up or Upitt style branding on Shaka Smart?

Hmm, I don’t see any optimism for next year’s win total. Luther projected as a full time starter for the first time and coming off a lost junior season. Johnson in his second season starting with an entirely new squad. 7 new guys, including 6 freshman, in the mix without a single game of D1 experience. Then add KS. Pitt hasn’t had that kind of starter turnover since 2011-2012 (5-13 in Big East). Dixon was/is a better coach than Stallings and he had reasonably experienced guys replacing the 3 former starters in 2011-2012. Tray Woodall (starting PG) was lost for several conference games that season.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 8:07 pm

BTW, those replacements in 2011-2012 were Patterson, Zanna and Woodall. Plus Dante Taylor and JJ Moore.

Comment by Barvo 03.04.17 @ 8:10 pm

Ok guys were into the Saturday nite festivities of our favorite beverages.

I don’t want to think about Loser, Pitt or the BoT the rest of the night.

I’ve sort of become numb with the goings on at Pitt lately.

Hope everyone has a good nite…cheers !

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 8:11 pm

Oh Jack..i don’t think anyone rejected us at all.

Stories made up to justify hiring a guy who Barnes was planning to hire along.

Comment by Emel 03.04.17 @ 8:14 pm

The Miller bros both rejected Pitt either before or after offers and queries from the press.

Comment by Jackagain 03.04.17 @ 8:28 pm

Can’t wait for coach to get kids who WANT to listen and WANT to do whatever it takes for the TEAM to win, see ya 2017 and you self centered non compliant idiots!!!

Hello to next year, a clean slate!!!

Comment by Keith 03.04.17 @ 9:01 pm

IMHO directing your anger at KS is aiming too low…He is what he is as a coach. He did not hire himself. You need to direct your anger at the Mr. Gallagher and the BOT that hired that complete Jackass Barnes. The guy guts our once proud BB program and then skips town like the carnival barker he is. Good riddance and you can take KS with you!

Comment by HbgFrank 03.04.17 @ 9:32 pm

Herman should have reached out to possible coaches before he allowed Jaimie to walk for a reduced fee. Instead, Jaimie walks, Herman resorts to cronyism and we suffer
His aged mother probably can’t stand him either.

Comment by Gasman 03.04.17 @ 9:57 pm

Don’t you get it. It does not matter who the kids are, his coaching style will NEVER get any team to elite status. He just is not a big time coach,period!

Comment by JoeKnew 03.04.17 @ 10:01 pm

Wonder how old his Gma was when he signed his contract with Pitt?

Comment by HbgFrank 03.04.17 @ 10:16 pm

That’s it in a nutshell Joe! Stallings PRESIDED over this dismal display of team disunity and disintegration and, as CEO, never once manned up and took responsibility. It is right in front of all to see: he exhibits chronic pessimism, displays inhibited integrity and disrespects the University he is paid handsomely to represent. What has he done which would lead anyone to believe these character flaws are fleeting in nature? No, they are deeply ingrained in this man approaching 60 and will only continue to manifest themselves in his current capacity wherein he is clearly in over his head. LANCE THE BOIL PITT!!

Comment by Wally 03.04.17 @ 10:37 pm

I just keep looking to the number of double digit leads blown over the course of the year and can’t help but blame coaching. There has to be some young coach out there with 100x the energy and knowledge of xo’s as Stallings (an oxymoron bc the program is in free fall).

Comment by ShorePitt 03.04.17 @ 10:46 pm

I’m fine with eating crow or telling you I told you so

And again stallings isn’t the long term answer, but I’m excited to see what an entire roster of new players respond to him and not be defiant

I’m actually surprised that ppl are ok with these tantrum like players that we have..but hey..it’s pitt fans

Comment by Keith 03.04.17 @ 11:13 pm

And I’m not even saying things will work out, but I’m gonna watch and see what happens

Comment by Keith 03.04.17 @ 11:14 pm

Bugs Bunny would refer to Stallings as an oxymoroon. ?

Comment by Lastrowofsection4 03.05.17 @ 6:20 am

There are few options going forward. Currently Kevin Stallings has recruits coming in next year. This is a complete rebuilding project. Not optimistic about next year, but a coaching change now, would probably mean that Pitt would lose their recruits. Will things get worse, possibly, but there isn’t much anyone can do at this point. When it was announced that Jamie Dixon was moving on to TCU. I wanted to Pitt go after a young up and coming mid-major coach.

Comment by Justinian 03.05.17 @ 8:02 am

I agree we are stuck with KS and his recruiting class looks pretty good. But what good are good players if the coach can’t coach … and Stallings’ history seems to day just that …. he can recruit but with all the talent, his teams doesn’t live up to expectations.

One more point about his hiring …. Pitt hasd built a recent reputation of being a good BB school, and is in a great BB conference. Yet, the AD held only one interview. Just more evidence how fixed KS’s hiring was.

Comment by wbb 03.05.17 @ 8:11 am

wbb – and that AD was supposed to be a BB guy.

Something smells “fishy”.

I want a congressional investigation…

Comment by Erie Express 03.05.17 @ 8:21 am

Justinian, indeed. Pitt has worked themselves into the proverbial corner with no feasible way out. They are left with two choices, both loser hands. If they fold and cut Stallings loose the resulting chaos will set the recruiting back to what may be an unrecoverable position and will bring about untold reputational damage.

On the other hand if they go all in, doubling down on the hand they have they would be in essence casting their lot with a captain who stood on the helm of a sinking ship, all the while blaming the crew for its plight and calculated every move to ensure his own survival.

Given the pecuniary minded proclivities of this administration, they will no doubt choose the latter.

Clearly a business case of gross incompetence. And the man who sold them down the river left town with all the money and none of the blame. Pure genius. When will they learn?

Comment by Wally 03.05.17 @ 8:39 am

@Keith Young, Artis, Jeter and Jones were once thought to be those highly desirable kids who WANT to listen and WANT to do whatever it takes for the TEAM to win. The group coming in next year could reveal themselves to be much like this group, especially with KS as coach.

Other than volume, I still don’t get the enthusiasm for next year’s class. They are all consensus 3 stars with Thompson being a borderline 4. Only Thompson has an impressive offer list, but it isn’t any more impressive than Damon Wilson’s was. The only reputed shooter in the group is Brown (same weight as Cam Johnson but 2 inches taller). The two jucos (Wilson-Frame and Simons) that seem to really excite some aren’t exactly posting great stats in their conference games. The recently published (PGH Sports Now) list of schools interested in Simons are: Memphis, Utah, Middle Tennessee State, Chattanooga, Dayton, New Mexico State and Portland State. Simons graduated from HS in 2014 and was in HS for five years. I am therefore surmising he will be 22 by the start of next season.

It will be interesting to see how much two junior juco transfers will WANT to listen and WANT to do whatever it takes for the TEAM to win.

Comment by Barvo 03.05.17 @ 8:57 am

If the rumor of Manigault leaving is true, it also says a lot about Stallings. Manigault looks to me to be the kind of guy that could develop into a pretty good power forward, not someone you want to cast off. Especially when you have very little to begin with.

I am not sold on the recruiting class either. Stallings missed on all the elite players he was after and very doubtful these guys will be ACC ready. Especially playing without coaching.

Comment by gc 03.05.17 @ 9:27 am

gc – might I also add, playing before an empty arena…

Comment by Erie Express 03.05.17 @ 9:39 am

the two things the recruiting class has are (1) numbers (as Barvo alluded) and (2) variety … guards, forwards and center. Those are positives.

It remains to be seen (1) how good they are and (2) if the coach can make them winners, which IMO is as big a question mark as if they are talented.

Comment by wbb 03.05.17 @ 9:45 am

How many times do .I have to say the ranking of this class is due to quantity, not quality. Stallings plays the ever popular blame game, all responsible except him.

Comment by JoeKnew 03.05.17 @ 9:53 am

Post game quote from our BB CEO from yesterday –

On the effectiveness of benching Young and Artis:
“It was not the first time that this has happened. I have no way of knowing, and honestly do not care, but my job is to uphold the integrity of the team and do things right by them. We struggled to score at the beginning of the game, and it is not like we closed it down once they came into the game. We didn’t. We didn’t all of a sudden threaten them because we had other players in the game.”

The “do not care” comment stuck out to me…

Comment by Erie Express 03.05.17 @ 9:55 am

Barvo – Next year’s class is a good foundation class only. You can’t win anything substantial with them on their own. Pitt needs to add two top 50 recruits to that roster in 2018. If they do, Pitt can be a really good team again in 2019. I’d say my enthusiasm is tempered and has certain qualifications.

I will say, however, I get to see a lot of upper echelon high school basketball in my area. Thompson has ACC starting talent. I don’t think he should be starting year 1 but he may be thrust into that position. You won’t get the deer in the headlights looks that you get from Damon Wilson though or early Chris Jones. Thompson is part of a legit HS program that feeds D1 rosters. He’s the schools all-time wins holder and plays hard at both ends of the court. He’s a great leader and a kid who doesn’t care too much about the stat sheet … only what the scoreboard says. He has the clutch gene too.

I’m bummed Mannigault is leaving too because I also got to see him in HS. He was always going to be a project though and I was shocked he didn’t red shirt this season.

I harp on the two top 50 recruits because the one of constants with the Final 4 is that teams generally have at least two top 50 recruits. You don’t need five 5 stars to be good. Team chemistry and two players in the 26-50 range that will stay at the school for 3 years is formula.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.05.17 @ 10:38 am

HCKS needs to have borderline NBA players to barely make the field of 68. Next Year’s train wreck will make this year look like a pleasure cruise in comparison.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 03.05.17 @ 11:45 am

[never shared]

RSS feed for these comments.