March 1, 2017

Offense Struggles, Defense Follows

Filed under: Basketball — Chas @ 8:25 am

There is nothing remotely surprising about the outcome of the game. Oh, hell, let’s jump right to Kevin Stallings in the post-game.

Thirty games into his first season at the school, Stallings saw a continuation of what has irked him for much of the past four months, including a lack of execution from a group, he said after the game, which sometimes lacks coachability.

“If the coach says run a play, how about just run the play?” Stallings said. “How about just don’t come down and charge before you give the play a chance to unfold? It’s a lot of things. It’s staying in your stance on defense. It’s staying between your man and the goal. It’s seeing the ball when you’re away from the defense. There are a lot of things that go into it. I get it. I get where they’re at. I get where we’re at in the season. It’s kind of a pride thing at this point. I just had hoped we would play a little better.”

Not that Stallings has been much for taking much responsibility for the way this team plays, other than the usual lip service of “it’s on me as the coach” stuff after blaming the players. But after this game, he didn’t even bother with the pretense.

I mean, I don’t think he’s totally wrong. It is clear that this group didn’t want to listen to him outside of “offensive freedom.” And we all know how thin this team is, making it next to impossible to just bench a guy. But at some point he needed to just yank those players from the game (this one or any of the others where things unfolded all too similarly) rather than lament them (not by name) in the post-game. It’s not like they are listening to him on the court, why would he think they would listen off?

Offense feeds the effort of this team — especially the two primary seniors. When the offense is going, the energy is up. They are at least making an effort on defense. When — as last night — the offense is stuck. In this case because Georgia Tech was very good defensively, you could see the frustration mounting on offense. As that happened, the defensive effort kept slipping as the game got later into the second half.

In the first half, Pitt kept GT outside. They kept the interior — where the Yellow Jackets thrive — clogged. Points happened, but more shots were taken from outside or as jumpers. In the second half, as the offensive frustration mounted, the defense kept getting sloppier. Spreading out further, leaving the paint. Opening up passing lanes, and GT started getting closer, easier shots inside.

Only one more regular season game left, and it sure looks like Pitt will finish sub-.500. There is no way this group will even do the CBI. They just don’t care.

I said 4.63 so I win.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.03.17 @ 1:58 pm

And it just keeps getting worse for the Player some thought was the “Next Tony Dorsett.”

Rushel Shell Second Forty… 4.81

Comment by PittofDreams 03.03.17 @ 2:07 pm

Ya, I’ll give this one to you Upitt.

I wasn’t firm on the 4.65. Let my Heart get in the way.

Comment by PittofDreams 03.03.17 @ 2:08 pm

According to PG, Justice Kithcart dismissed from team for conduct detrimental to the team

Comment by Jerry S. 03.03.17 @ 2:12 pm

But Upitt… Conner WILL make the NFL. One way or another.

He’ll get picked… guessing about Round 5.

But my PREDICTION is… he could eventually end up earning his way on Defense as an Outside Backer or D-End in a 5-3.

This should make all those who argued that Conner was NOT fast enough or good enough to play Runningback… happy.

Comment by PittofDreams 03.03.17 @ 2:17 pm

But again, NEVER count Conner out of anything he wants to do.

Comment by PittofDreams 03.03.17 @ 2:18 pm

Starting out in the NFL….first year, or 2….

James Conner will make (a) a great special teams player and (b) a tremendous GOAL LINE/RED ZONE player

Agree with many of my Blather Brothers….never ever…..count out JC !!! 🙂

Comment by The Truth 03.03.17 @ 3:19 pm

Conner is not an NFL DE, though LB I could see. My bet is that he’ll be an NFL RB, the same position he played in college. He’s a shifty, powerful runner, not a gamebreaker, but that’s what today’s NFL backs are. He fits that mold. Personally, I’d like to see him a little more weight. Given his running style & size, 40 time is more than a little over-rated.

Comment by 1618mt 03.03.17 @ 3:32 pm

You can easily pick up guys like a Connor with a little less heart as FA’s.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.03.17 @ 3:54 pm

Upitt – That’s a very general statement which can apply to most of the upcoming draft. Conner will do just fine, if like most RB prospects, he lands in the right spot.

Comment by 1618mt 03.03.17 @ 3:57 pm

If Conner can not some time off he’s fine. Blount ran a 4.74 and Bell ran a 4.6 a few pounds lighter. Those are the two comparisons made most often. I would like to see Conner around 225 for the pro day and run a 4.6.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 03.03.17 @ 3:59 pm

Sorry milo, if that’s what you meant was year over year extreme failure and complete lack of fan interest. Those are on the way…

Comment by Barvo 03.03.17 @ 5:49 pm

I thought Conner might be a fullback type (good blocker) with occasional running.

Comment by Frank MD 03.03.17 @ 8:42 pm

Look for Scott Orndoff to come away as the real STAR of the Pitt contingent attending the NFL combine.

It will become abundantly clear to Scouts that one thing Orndoff can do and do well is RUN.

4.6 easily in reach for the Pitt Tight End who measured in at a legit 6-5.

Comment by PittofDreams 03.04.17 @ 6:11 am

Now if Orndoff could only be counted on to catch PERFECTLY delivered Game-tying TD Passes in the waning minutes of Bowl Games.

Unfortunately, his 10 Percent Drop Rate is also going to be abundantly clear.

Comment by PittofDreams 03.04.17 @ 6:18 am

The wrong guy was dismissed from the Pitt BB team yesterday. Just saying…can Stallings be next?

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 7:24 am

Pitt is an 11.5 point underdog today vs uva. Pitt won the last contest at home – not many wins away from the Pete, nor at the Pete for that mattter.

Without Kithcart and with Stallings, I predict we struggle on both ends and go down in defeat.

Remember how competitive this team was to start the ACC play – losing a close one to nd and beating this uva team. The current team is a shell of that early ACC season group that went into the 3rd ACC game with a chance to propell itself into the top 25.

Oh, the memories. Right now Saragin has them rated at #69. Higher than I would place them. Aren’t there 68 teams that make the NCAA tournament? Does that mean other programs are bad too? Should that give us hope that maybe it will be easier to rise back to being a contender?

Wait, I just tied my shoes to go out for some yard work and was reminded who our current HC is – scratch that last contender thought…

Comment by Erie Express 03.04.17 @ 7:50 am

This program has been trending down over the last 6 years, counting this season we have been to the NCAA tournament 3 times. Does anyone remember our last NIT performance? Stallings is here for at least 2 more years, also when you look at the current Pitt BB team how many of these guys could be on the UVA roster 2 maybe 3? This team/program is devoid of talent especially ACC caliber talent. Dixon neglected recruiting and it shows period.

Comment by WLAT 910 radio and the big beat! 03.04.17 @ 8:17 am

Blame the man making 2.2M not the coach of TCU.

Comment by Upittbaseball 03.04.17 @ 10:36 am