February 4, 2017

Open Thread: Pitt-Duke, K Returns

Filed under: Basketball,Open Thread — Chas @ 9:45 am

1pm, CBS.

The good news, Bill Raftery will be doing the color commentary.

That’s about it for the good news.

Duke is at home. They get an extra emotional lift with their coach, Mike Krzyzewski, returning to the bench after taking a month off for back surgery. Which means additional slobbering over Krzyzewski by — well — everyone on or associated with the broadcast. And you can bet they have had it drilled into them all week what happened last year at the Pete.

Pitt gave one of their best overall efforts in nearly a month against UNC on Tuesday.  Still fell short, and I can’t say I’m optimistic that this group can muster two straight good games at this point.

I don’t think I’m checked out on the season. But I am definitely looking at the games with a different perspective. I’m looking for anything in the players that will be returning next year.

Which also seems to be what Coach Kevin Stallings is doing. Playing guys on the bench more. Not as punishment for the starters effort or performance, but to see if they can show something for the future. Or — and I really hate writing this sort of thing — if they need to look at other places to attend school and play basketball.

Erie – can you say, “Reheaded Step Child?”!!

Comment by Savannah Panther 02.04.17 @ 4:50 pm

@PittofDreams….he may yank it..somebody probably not coming back with the amount of commits coming next year.

@Erie…in Stallings defense, Pitt’s conference schedule may have been toughest conference schedule in the country. Home and Away with NC Louisville Virginia and Syracuse…though Syracuse a little weaker…

..look at Pitt’s RPI…55 for 12-11 team..that’s amazing.

The record for Highest RPI ranking for a sub-.500 team: 67 (Georgia Tech – 2008)

–looking at the state if college hoops ..a lot of average teams this year..if Pitt won say two of these past nine games..they actually would be a solid bubble team.

The next three games are winnable….and then they have FSU home and away at Wake….can they win the next 5? If they do then they are actually on the bubble. (I’m not predicting they will win the next 5, but wouldn’t be surprised if they did.)

Unlike a lot on this board I think they have talent on the team to win..it’s other reasons they are not.

Comment by milobloom 02.04.17 @ 6:34 pm

@milo – “wouldn’t be surprised…..” , me either…I’d be absolutely friggin’ SHOCKED!!!

At least these last 2 games were watchable.

Comment by TVax1 02.04.17 @ 6:40 pm

Milo, Pitt has some talent but they don’t have a basketball team. You don’t have a basketball team with no PG, center or true PF….that and a SG who can’t shoot.

Comment by Jackagain 02.04.17 @ 7:36 pm

Pitt wont even get an NIT invite this year. Its CBI again. This team is an abortion.

Comment by TX Panther 02.04.17 @ 7:36 pm

Dixon planted the seed for Pitt’s downfall. He knocked Pitt up and left town.

Comment by TX Panther 02.04.17 @ 7:38 pm

Bad day for the Big 12. #’s 2,3 & 7 (the hoopies) went down. L’Ville had a perfect day at #6. Too bad Virginia lost.

Comment by Jackagain 02.04.17 @ 7:40 pm

Well there is no way they get NIT unless they win out… the NIT does not take losing conference records….though NCAA’s has…figure that one out. Pitt won’t get in any tourney this year.

@Jackagain…agree not a team…no coach either..they were missing all you wrote last year except a PG and still made the tourney.

I’m not saying what I wrote was gonna happen, just showing how few wins Pitt would of needed to get into tourney this year. And they could set record for highest RPI with a losing record….Which makes this year that much more disappointing.

Comment by milobloom 02.04.17 @ 7:59 pm

@ milo,
They were a marginal tournament team last year. Maybe jr made that much of a difference. Clearly the coach can only do so much.

Comment by Goalie44 02.04.17 @ 8:25 pm

Guys this season has been toast for a while. No reason re-arrange the deck chairs. If anything, the last 2 games at North Carolina and Duke, have been an improvement. The Panthers played hard and they played well. As well as they played today, they didn’t have enough depth to hang in there at the end. Having one or two more players capable of giving some quality minutes makes all the difference. Luther not being available hurts this team more than most because it lacks depth to begin with.

Comment by Justinian 02.04.17 @ 8:45 pm

Moving to football, Mike Vukovcan at Pittsburgh Sports Now posted that Pitt Defensive Line coach, Tom Sims has been let go.

Comment by Justinian 02.04.17 @ 8:49 pm

Re: Nix vs Jeter… in the 2nd half, I think Grant Hill noticed this….Pitt switched to a 2-3 from a 3-2 so Nix could play under the hoop. It’s what opened up all the 3s from the outside. I think if Jeter had not picked up dumb fouls 35 feet from the basket the 3-2 zone would have prevents Punk Allen from getting hot. Duke reacted to the switch in defense well.

Comment by KeyboardKev 02.04.17 @ 9:09 pm

Chris Dokish

“Stallings says he prefers to bring in offensive players & teach them defense, but he’s got three elite defenders among the six.”

Dixon liked to bring in defensive players and teach them defense.

Comment by Jackagain 02.04.17 @ 9:16 pm

Jacksagain, I remember one sport writer referring to early Dixon era players as piano carriers not players.

Comment by Justinian 02.04.17 @ 11:41 pm

Savannah: Sears is so deep in debt they’re blowing out inventory strategically and regionally just to maintain some cash flow and keep from going dark. Their blowouts aren’t widely advertised because they have no marketing budget. Appliances & Craftsman line will never be deeply discounted, everything else can be. Land’s End gave them a license agreement, in certain markets they’ve been blowing that stuff out and that’s good quality. Leaving a Nashville meeting I heard about this and bought and shipped $1000 of jeans sweaters khakis shirts for the kids paid $425 incl shipping. Really hope Sears doesn’t bring down commercial real estate markets when they shutter.

Comment by Old School Panther 02.05.17 @ 7:24 am

Sears’ lines can probably never be deeply discounted. Craftsman is not a tool maker but a Sears’ brand. Every few years, Sears gets a new contract with a tool maker (Ridgid, Snap-on, Stanly and Black & Decker, etc) and then distributes them under Craftsman bfrand. I assume they do the same with appliances and almost everything else they sell

Comment by wbb 02.05.17 @ 8:39 am

When I grew up Mom bought my school clothes at Sears, Dad bought his hammer and nails at Western Auto. Sixty years later their son shops at Amazon. Their are three Sears within ten miles of my house and I’ve never been inside any of them. My best friend from college manages malls in the southeast. He told me their inside forecasts are worse than gloomy insofar as occupancy and traffic are concerned. This is adversely impacting their rent factors of course and forcing them to negotiate fire sale terms with new tenants who are more likely repairing mobile devices than selling underwear. It is only a matter of time until the retail commercial real estate market experiences a collapse and major correction. So, with no more malls to build, maybe the out of work construction companies can bid on building a new football stadium near the Hot Metal Bridge…………….nurse, nurse….

Comment by wally 02.05.17 @ 9:00 am

Guys – my Sears reference was a joke, aimed at UPitt’s Rockport salesman references to HCKS! But I think that any planned Rockport clearance would be a direct result of the “Negative Ad Campaign” originating in Texas! If this campaign continues, expect Rockport stock to fall as well!

Note: my sarcasm loses its bite when I have to explain it! I’ll try to do better!!

Comment by Savannah Panther 02.05.17 @ 10:03 am

UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT
The University of Vermont announced plans to develop a new athletics complex on campus, instead of looking to downtown Burlington or South Burlington’s City Center for the project. The proposed concept presented to UVM trustees Friday includes keeping Gutterson Fieldhouse for hockey, and replacing Patrick Gymnasium for basketball, as well as a new indoor turf facility, pool, indoor tennis center and a health/fitness zone. The project carries a price tag of $80 million, considerably less than the $200 million when the idea of creating a new athletic complex was first broached in 2009. – Austin Danforth, Burlington Free Press.

Looks like the cost to build sports complexes may have fallen since 2009. (ikr)

Comment by Erie Express 02.05.17 @ 10:35 am

FWIW, I was up Freeport Maine back in 04 and found a pair of Rockport’s at shoe outlet for $59 …. marked down from $135 (or something like that). Best pair of dress shoes I ever had …. still have and wear them occasionally

Comment by wbb 02.05.17 @ 12:06 pm

Team played hard the entire game…lost to Dukes talent and hot hand at the end….Just wish this team would have played so hard all season and Nix would have played significant minutes all season. That guy shuts the door in the paint when he clicks into a game.

Comment by HbgFrank 02.05.17 @ 12:29 pm

Sears sold their Craftsman brand this year to Stanley for about a billion bucks. That store is toast…short it into a penny stock.

Comment by Jackagain 02.05.17 @ 3:57 pm

They’re trying to shift to sears hometown stores before they implode. Landlords all over the US have been negotiating with them for 5-7 years, carrying them rather than having a big box vacancy. In good markets their spaces will get absorbed, in marginal markets they’ll bring cap rates down.

Comment by Old School Panther 02.06.17 @ 10:12 pm