January 31, 2017

7 pm ESPN2  if you dare.

Had to work overnight the last two nights. The kids are stir crazy with two straight snow days bumpin g out the weekend. It’s been like an extended Sunday afternoon evening for them with that expectation of going back to school the next day. Each day. Wife has been home sick. And somehow thinking about Pitt basketball is the thing bringing me down.

Even the game notes seem depressing. I mean, when the game notes can’t spin positive…

So, yeah. I’m going to watch. I can’t help myself. It’s too late for me. Save yourselves. Do something else tonight. Use the open thread to talk about signing day for football or something.

It was close because Cam was hot and Pitt hit 3’s. They got a confidence boost and still came up short. Not an embarrassment like Duquesne or Louisville…but still a loss. 7 in a row.

Still no defense or box outs. Still no rebounding.

Good shooting can mask a lot of deficiencies.

And Stallings will be gone in 2 years at the most. Deal with it.

Comment by Tommymac 01.31.17 @ 9:23 pm

Ok, so if coach k coached our current team we’d be better?

Comment by Keith 01.31.17 @ 9:25 pm

I’m not even a Stallings supporter but love listening to you guys blame him

Let’s all blame Stallings because he accepted a job that was offered to him

Doesn’t make sense to me

Comment by Keith 01.31.17 @ 9:27 pm

It was really a solid game by the Panthers. I hope they can play that way down the stretch. At this point the season is already toast, so they have nothing to lose.

Comment by Justinian 01.31.17 @ 9:28 pm

By the way, I postponed re-arranging my sock drawer and I watched the game.

Comment by Justinian 01.31.17 @ 9:30 pm

I’m at least slightly interested in the Duke game now.

Comment by Jackagain 01.31.17 @ 9:31 pm

Justinian

Thank you for a little positive comment

They did play well tonight

Comment by Keith 01.31.17 @ 9:32 pm

Much better effort from the bare cabinet this evening! Even in the lose they may have regained some confidence!

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.31.17 @ 9:34 pm

Lack of defense and lack of boxing out….same problems as last year. I blame the players. The difference was that last year James Robinson masked the offensive deficiencies of this team – he was more aware than Artis. Cam was open quite a lot tonight along the baseline and was missed.

KS has not done magic with this team, but I don’t think anyone could.

Comment by KeyboardKev 01.31.17 @ 9:36 pm

That being said, the effort with all the deficiencies was almost enough. If they wouldn’t have “quit at the shot clock instead of the game clock” at halftime, it might have been different.

Comment by KeyboardKev 01.31.17 @ 9:37 pm

I can’t can’t even bitch about the coaching this evening. At least they were prepared, the subs seemed to come in in an intelligent manner, Time out were used mostly appropriately, and other than not having Artis dish to a trailing and wide open Young at the end of the game and not really having a play called at the end Kevin did ok.

It’s shame that it took this long for the team to play back to this level.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.31.17 @ 9:45 pm

Prediction: Cam Johnson will go 3 for 22 from the 3 in the next 2 games.

Comment by wbb 01.31.17 @ 9:51 pm

for such an alleged offensive mind, Pitt has taken such really crap shots at the end of games. ND end of regulation was an absolute joke, at LVille when we got close , and of course tonight

Comment by wbb 01.31.17 @ 9:53 pm

Not blaming Stallings because he took the job…blaming him because he is an average coach at best.

He has thrown these kids under the bus time after time to deflect the blame – same MO as at Vandy.

Blaming him because His team is 1-8 in conference at the start of February.

Blaming him for being the coach who holds the record for the worst ACC home loss in history.

Blaming him for losing to a gawd awful Duquesne team for first time in 17 years.

Blaming him for running a team that made the NCAA last year and only lost one starter into the ground – not sure why.

HCKS has a past we can point to … a 58 year old man is not going to suddenly become super coach. He is what he is. And he has ruined Pitt Basketball in less than one season.

Comment by Tommymac 01.31.17 @ 10:04 pm

Erie…. I’ve watched the Scottie Reynolds play about 20 times He was able to run the floor in 3 seconds because Nova ran a play to get him the ball in motion toward the basket in full stride. It is the one play I will never forgive Dixon for. A Jr Hi Girls play that every team runs off a pick and the only way to defend it is to have an agile forward posted in the lane of the opposite basket. Dixon killed Pitt basketball that night.

Nice game by Pitt tonight. No defense against NC drives to the basket beat Pitt. Great prep and effort by Stallings and staff.
Again, it’s really easy to hit a guy when he’s down!

Comment by Dan 72 01.31.17 @ 10:12 pm

I blame barnes

But I guess he’s not on tv and visable

I don’t blame Stallings for taking a job he was offered

Barnes has ruined pitt basketball not stallings

Comment by Keith 01.31.17 @ 10:19 pm

Nice game by our guys. Just couldn’t get a shot or a stop to get over the hump. Wilson with some decent minutes. Johnson with a strong game.

Comment by gc 01.31.17 @ 10:19 pm

Tommymac

If you were offered a job that you were average at doing and someone paid you a lot of money you wouldn’t take it?!, well good for you

Your a better man than coach stallings

Comment by Keith 01.31.17 @ 10:22 pm

@Keith – Again – I said I don’t blame Stallings at all for taking the job. What don’t you understand?

Comment by Tommymac 01.31.17 @ 10:25 pm

Don’t understand how your putting all the blame on him for “ruining” pitt basketball?

Comment by Keith 01.31.17 @ 10:28 pm

I think pitt basketbAll was doing a pretty good job of ruining itself for the past few years

Comment by Keith 01.31.17 @ 10:31 pm

Gallagher is to blame for hiring Barnes. Barnes is to blame. 100% for hiring Buster Brown Cheap suits Stallings. 58 and never won shit. He is a neverbeen. A has been at least won something in his life. Last I checked that bum is 1-8 in ACC play. Dixon is gone. Blame the coach we have. Watch his hiring press conference fpr laughs and that fat 2 faced pumpkin head barnes puckered his lips and act like he is spmebody. He is another dogshit Program destroyer.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.31.17 @ 11:01 pm

Wbb – Exactly Cam (I have the physique of a 8th garader) hit the damn weight room will absolutley go 3-28 next 2 games. Very astute.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.31.17 @ 11:02 pm

@ Keith

I have never said HCKS is responsible for ruining the program. Jamie had some bad recruiting years and we are seeing some of that as well. I do feel HCKS will ultimately drive it into the ground.

He is certainly not the answer to resurrect it and the longer he is here the longer it will take to get back to winning championships.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.31.17 @ 11:52 pm

Damn proud of our Panthers tonight…every Pitt fan should be…Played a superior team to the final buzzer on their floor…Could have faded but kept playing hard …just a great game to watch.

Comment by HbgFrank 02.01.17 @ 12:08 am

Well it was great Pitt didn’t get blown out, I wouldn’t put much belief in this game. GEt this:

In 1988, Stallings was hired by ROY WILLIAMS, who had taken over at Kansas after Larry Brown’s surprising NCAA Tournament championship.

This was nothing more than, RoyBoy not making an old asst coach and old friend look any worse than he has the last month.

Nothing more…nothing less.

Comment by EMel 02.01.17 @ 1:31 am

Yea it works that way.

Comment by EMel 02.01.17 @ 1:31 am

Stallings < Disciple < RoyBoy

While Stallings was at Kansas under Huckleberry Hound, Kansas went to 2 Final 4's in those 5 years.

Comment by EMel 02.01.17 @ 1:35 am

I highly doubt any coach would tell their players go easy on opposing team because their coach is a good guy.

Comment by Goalie44 02.01.17 @ 2:10 am

What’s it to RoyBoy…they still get the W, and his old pal Stallings has a little less heat on him.

It’s done all the time.
Remember it’s a coaching fraternity and then add in the Disciple factor.

Comment by EMel 02.01.17 @ 3:13 am

You don’t actually think, UNC is only a basket or two better than Pitt.

But if you that’s alright.

Comment by EMel 02.01.17 @ 3:15 am

I don’t , but i I also don’t believe in conspiracy theories as well. Pitt beat Maryland and Virginia. Any given night.

Comment by Goalie44 02.01.17 @ 4:36 am

Pitt’s only hope is that it shoots well from outside. It can’t rebound or defend or drive to the hoop or feed the low post.

Now, the next game when Cam goes 2 for 13 from the 3, it will be SOP (2017 version)

Comment by wbb 02.01.17 @ 7:40 am

I think I have come to realize that good/great teams:
1. Shoot over 50%, 40% of the time
2. Hold the opposition to 40% shooting, 50% of the time.
Combine the two and you win the vast majority of games because at least one of the two happens, and thus you have a fighting chance of winning.

Too bad this Pitt team is utterly incapable of the second of the two. Games like last night, when they shoot over 50%, they still lose.

Comment by DD 02.01.17 @ 7:46 am

Ah the Reynolds shot, not the Jermaine Dixon dribble into a trap, turnover and foul with Pitt up.

The Reynolds shot took place in 5 seconds, not 3. Watch 21st time. Raftery notes during the call that there is plenty of time to execute.

Jermaine Dixon denies the pass on the outside (sideline) rather than the inside and actually moves directly in front of Reynolds as the ball is being passed in allowing Reynolds to roam freely behind him. Young plays directly behind Cunningham on inbound catch and allows him to go straight up and get it. Dixon trails the entire play and makes no attempt on the ball when Reynolds gathers near the foul line. Blair completely caught flatfooted at the foul line and meekly waves at the ball as Reynolds goes by, missing ball by a foot. Finally Gilbert Brown standing in the lane with his arms up over his head while Reynolds floated the ball over his outstretched arms. Brown takes Reynolds knee to the chest dislodging him and clearing space.

It seems to me in that whole sequence that Pitt’s players were playing/hoping for OT. That passivity in execution led to the loss.

Comment by Barvo 02.01.17 @ 10:04 am

~ Goalie44

What are your thoughts on the Creepy Valley case Pedo case that went on for decades?

Conspiracy or not ?

Comment by EMel 02.01.17 @ 10:41 am

And then you tell me, why the Creepy Valley 3 have never been put on trial.

Another Conspiracy Theory pal ?

Comment by EMel 02.01.17 @ 10:43 am

i don’t have all the facts, so i really don’t know. you don’t wear a tin foil hat and believe the government is watching your every move.. do you?

Comment by goalie44 02.01.17 @ 2:05 pm

Dont be perjorative with me and I won’t insult you OK

Comment by EMel 02.01.17 @ 2:09 pm

Always the same bs…bring up anything and I’m wearing a tin foil hat.

Saves any discussion and back and forth …right.

Comment by EMel 02.01.17 @ 2:11 pm

A, I don’t know what the word means and b, I really don’t care if you insult me.

Comment by Goalie44 02.01.17 @ 2:18 pm

And I am with the government and we will definitely watch you now.

Comment by Goalie44 02.01.17 @ 2:21 pm