January 25, 2017

The Stuff of Legends

Filed under: Basketball — Chas @ 7:05 am

In the future — no I don’t know when, exactly — when Pitt basketball is better. When this year has receded a bit into history. Pitt will have a bad game. They will lose by double digits. It won’t be pretty. A flat out bad loss.

Somewhere, whether on Twitter, a message board, a blog, or some other social media outlet not yet in existence. Someone will go off on a hyperbolic rant on the team, player and coaches. Insisting that that game was the worst ever. That that team just gave up and that no Pitt team has ever quit like that before.

And that person will be wrong. Oh, so wrong. Because last night. On January 24, 2017. At the Pete. Against Louisville. This Pitt team set the standard of quitting by which all other Pitt basketball teams will be judged.

It’s an accomplishment. Something we can tell future generations. We were alive for it. We saw it. Whether on our TV, our computer — though, judging by pictures of the attendance, very few can claim this — or even live.

Wait, they play again tonight?? So last night was just a bad dream?

Comment by Goalie44 01.25.17 @ 7:11 am

I don’t know how you recover from that. They may never win again.

Comment by Bobby 01.25.17 @ 7:25 am

When Stallings made the decision to CHECKOUT rather than stick it out… I believe he sealed his fate.

Losing by HISTORIC portions in itself would not have been enough.

But the fact that what was witnessed last night was a Coach QUITTING and RUNNING out on his Team… then later throwing his Players under the Bus as he has done throughout the Season… tells you something about the INNER Man.

The question is whether Gallagher himself is able and WILLING to take notice.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.25.17 @ 8:28 am

When Pitt was in there midst of them Wannstadt, Graham, Haywood debacle did you ever, in your wildest dreams, think it would repeat itself in the basketball program? The common denominator is, of course, pathetically incompetent AD’s. This gross negligence on the part of the administration is flat unforgivable. And, sadly, there is no graceful way out. Pitt athletics are the laughing stock of the NCAA. Who, in their right mind, would send money down to THESE CLOWNS?

Comment by wally 01.25.17 @ 8:37 am

How do like the NOISE now barnes turns out the fans know more than you.

Comment by Steve 01.25.17 @ 8:44 am

Barnes used pitt and pitt was stupid enough to let him do it. Oh but his mother’s health is failing well she’s 86 people you think he thought that might happen last year at 85? Gallagher is a moron.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.25.17 @ 8:48 am

what a bad, bad, hire this was and everyone knew it was a bad move as it was happening. Anyone paying attention begged them not to bring this guy here and here we are.

He says, the players do not listen to him, the players won’t play defense, the players won’t talk to each other.

These are excuses put out there to deflect blame from him onto the players.

Pathetic behavior for someone who is supposed to be a leader of men.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.25.17 @ 9:04 am

As bad as the Stallings hire was I didn’t think we’d see the worst of it until the 2nd year and the subsequent years that followed. Thankfully he’s showing how terrible he is right from the start. The only question left is how can/will Pitt extricate themselves from this horrendous situation. The sooner the better. So sad. And only most everyone knew it when it happened. Since I graduated it has been the first time it even crossed my mind that I wished I was a monied, influential alum and could have done something about it. Sadly, canceling my tickets was my only recourse. From the looks of the Pete this year it doesn’t seem like I was the only one. Pitt basketball really had a great, at times special, thing going these last 15 years. That is all gone now.

Comment by Will 01.25.17 @ 9:30 am

sure hope that last night was “rock bottom” …a very, very sad situation…don’t these players and the head coach have pride in themselves and more importantly as representatives of the university? what a complete embarrassment…the acting AD needs to act swiftly to get to the bottom of what happened here…if this continues, its time to root out the bad characters and if that means firing the head coach and suspending players, so be it… and to think that the ACC season started on such a positive note with the close game vs. ND, which should have been a win, and the UVA win… H2P always!!

Comment by Jerry S. 01.25.17 @ 9:39 am

Stallings is right about the lack of leadership…from him. What a complete disaster of a coach. Why would anyone want to play for this guy? What parent would allow their son to play for this guy if they had any other options at all? Allowing him to further destroy Pitt’s program is far worse than any negative attention firing him would create. Get a good up & comer who can recruit & coach. They will have at least 5 scholarships to fill for next year & can immediately begin the rebuilding process. They’ll take their lumps for a couple years, but allowing Stallings to stay will set Pitt back for a decade.

Comment by Nick 01.25.17 @ 9:50 am

The spread on last night’s game was 5.5. We lost by 10 times that!!! The 55-point margin was the largest ever by a road team in ACC play.

Everyone on this board knows I’m a huge Pitt fan. But there is no way to support what happened last night. I couldn’t watch it. Showing the Jerome Lane highlight was almost blasphemous.

I was a big fan and supporter of Jamie Dixon and, while I was sorry to see him go, I understand why others felt differently. I cannot be a fan or supporter of Kevin Stallings and I see no reason to keep him no matter what it costs to fire him. If he worked for me, he would have been out of the building before the team returned to the locker room after the game.

The season being over, I would have open tryouts on campus. Find the best 12 student basketball players, period. It couldn’t be any worse and would at least be a great story.

I will always support Pitt and Pitt athletics but this team has lost me.

H2P!!!

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.25.17 @ 9:55 am

Paul the Pumper back at it on twitter. Talking out both sides of his mouth. Dixon left no talent and no bench. Stallings was able to coach the team up to overcome UVA, MD and Marquette, who is suddenly relevant again since beating Nova.

UVA was a home game in which Pitt shot 62% from 3 on 28 attempts, 24 of which came from 3 players. Not sure how that demonstrates Stallings coaching ability and also not sure how it demonstrates a lack of player ability. I am sure Paul will never clarify. Marquette was a neutral court game that Pitt won by 3. Marquette had lost to Michigan the night before by 18 on the same court. MD is the only game I honestly have no counter argument.

Growing to hate Zeise.

@PoD Glad you’re back buddy!

Comment by Barvo 01.25.17 @ 10:04 am

UPitt you normally makes astute comments, though in colorful/exaggerated ways, however Gallagher is no idiot, far from it. Let’s see how the they respond to the Stallings debacle. Time will tell. I’ve heard it said that if we get a new AD in the Spring and replace Stallings right away (something I do not think will happen), then nobody would want the job. That’s a bunch of hyper bs. The right AD will get the right guy.

And by the way, it looks pretty official now, everybody was right! Dixon WAS a poor recruiter (and refused to compensate for deficiencies with the appropriate staff hires) and Stallings WAS the wrong hire. The real question is: will there be enough pressure to do something about it fast? Time is important here, because the fan base has gone from frustration (Dixon) to apathy (Stallings), so we’re losing a pulse fast… Then again, I’m not sure how you get rid of KS after 1 year.

Comment by 1618mt 01.25.17 @ 10:25 am

The first rule of holes: when you’re in one, stop digging. A blind man with his head up his a** can see KS and Pitt is a shotgun wedding gone bad. Giving this guy “time” is tantamount to the Steelers hiring Rich Kotite to replace Tomlin.

Comment by wally 01.25.17 @ 10:35 am

Is there a bright side? no pedophiles, point shaving, prostitutes for recruits, recruiting violations, or NCAA sanctions…just bad basketball and bad coaching…fingers crossed

Comment by Jerry S. 01.25.17 @ 10:37 am

1618 – Humore me on money wasted by Gallagher.

*Paid a search firm for Stallings 150k wasted.
*Paid a relocation and closing costs on Barnes houses. 200k
*Barnes lowered a buyout for Dixon, TCU would of paid the regular amount 2-3M
*Paid a search firm to hire Stallings, I could of saved them 400k after referring him after I bought my summer loafers from him.
*Now have to fire the turd and pay him 2-3M in a buyout.
* Oh and paid a buyout for Stallings after he was already being fired from Vandy.

So the wonderful Gallagher blew 4-5M so yes he is such a great businessman.

Sorry buddy but I am pretty sure I am right unless you don’t mind buring 5M.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.25.17 @ 10:40 am

Jerry – Just hookers for the Wrestlers at Pitt.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.25.17 @ 10:41 am

1618 – I’m rarely astute. haha

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.25.17 @ 10:44 am

Upitt you speak the truth Wasted money on band aid They get what THEY feel will will cover up past blunders for last few years. Remember things could and will get worse with this situation. The man in charge needs to take the bull by the horns and do his job

Comment by Friends of Pitt 01.25.17 @ 11:14 am

Something to consider: The total collapse of our basketball program takes a “fun” recruiting tool away from our football recruiting. Coach Duzz brings the prospects to The Pete to experience the excitement and energy level of a packed house and the best student rooting section to be found anywhere!
The recruiting tool has been LOST!! Make no mistake about–behind the scenes our football coaches are royally pissed
that the Pete has become a DEAD ZONE!

Comment by Isnore 01.25.17 @ 11:20 am

Upitt, none of the pings on your list above look inaccurate, but it doesn’t change anything I said either. And by the way, if I had $5M to spend, I wouldn’t use it on a search firm. That’s just my opinion, but if you hire an AD, the AD needs to do his job, not spend the money on a consultant to do his job for him. I know I’m oversimplifying, but I think that’s the wrong way to go.

wally – I agree. I wouldn’t wait either; right after the season I’d bring in a new coach. Again, I don’t think it’ll happen, but since there is an AD change, there’s probably a greater-than-normal chance.

Comment by 1618mt 01.25.17 @ 11:42 am

@Isnore – excellent point. I’m sure HCPN will waste no time informing any AD candidates and whoever is selected that the BBall program has to be turned around posthaste.

In the meantime, get the best Frat or Men’s intramural basketball team and put them on the court. It will certainly bring in the students and maybe put some life back in the Zoo.

H2P!!!

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.25.17 @ 12:21 pm

To amplify my point, I played (badly) intramural hockey in college. There were guys on the ice who could have played varsity but preferred not to. I’m sure Pitt has more than a few former high school basketball players walking around campus. They couldn’t do worse and it would make for a good story for a game or two.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.25.17 @ 12:23 pm

Just to keep things in perspective, let’s NOT forget Jamie’s hand in this DEBACLE…

– Last night, Pitt’s overall LACK of Athletic Ability was on FULL DISPLAY… both Offensively and Defensively.

– With Artis and Young going COLD, not one other Player showed that they could be counted on to score. This includes Cameron Johnson who can’t shoot well enough to excuse the fact that he is NOT capable of competing against the more ATHLETIC and SKILLED Players you typically see at this level.

– Recruits Kithcart Mannigault and Wilson also looking to be way out of their league… especially Kitchcart who I would bet has a tough time competing in PICK-UP Games at Trees Hall.

– And Mr. Nix… Jamie Dixon’s answer for a BIG Man… who obviously is NOT a Basketball Player at this level… but who also absolutely WON me over last night.

If only the rest had his HEART and DESIRE.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.25.17 @ 12:28 pm

If I have to hear Dino Gaudio mention one more time that we don’t have a point guard…no shit, that’s why we are in this unwatchable mess.

Since my childhood in the late 80’s, I’ve watch every minute of every game Pitt Bball game televised…until this year: Miami caused me to throw the remote, Louisville on the road caused me to begin a painting project at halftime, and I tapped out from Louisville part II at the 27 to 5 mark to spend more time with the wife as she watched Bravo.

I’m pining for the days of Jerry McCoulough, Eric Mobley, and Chad Varga for goodness sake.

Comment by AJ 01.25.17 @ 12:36 pm

1618 – I agree buddy

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.25.17 @ 1:12 pm

This will be same old pitt. No outcry from anyone but the most diehard of fans. Athletic take a back seat at the university. Back seat like the third row of a minivan….

Comment by Goalie44 01.25.17 @ 1:13 pm

Kithcart & Manigault are Stallings’ players. Doesn’t matter if they committed to Dixon, Stallings signed them. He owns their ineptitude, just like he owns every single player getting worse, quitting on them, & putting all of the blame on them. If he was so worried about not having a PG or a Center he should have used the open scholarship on one or the other.

Comment by Nick 01.25.17 @ 1:19 pm

Enough with the referendum on Dixon. My god what has done to Pitt other than deliver them the best and most consistent era in Pitt basketball history. He left a tournament team. He inherited NOTHING at TCU and has them balling. There should be nothing but admiration and thanks for the job he did at Pitt. I only feel terrible for the players in this situation. The administration failed them. They didn’t come to Pitt for this. They didn’t come to Pitt for Stallings. No one goes anywhere for stallings. He was average at Vandy in a lackluster basketball league. He’s severely out of his depth in the ACC. He must go. The new Ad and the administration must get the right guy. NOW.

Comment by Will 01.25.17 @ 1:32 pm

The verdict of KS tenure will begin against a 1-6 Clemson team on Saturday. If he can rally this team and bring them together and play with intensity and win going away, as they should, he has a chance to stay. HOWEVER, if they get smoked by Clemson and continue their descent to the ACC cellar then he should go before the ACC tournament.

I say that based on his post-game remarks. He seems to have no vested interest in these players because he did not recruit them and it’s obvious he feels no loyalty to them going forward.

BTW UPitt you are astute AND funny buddy!

Comment by Panther Fan in Hoopieland 01.25.17 @ 1:35 pm

The worst indictment of Stallings? (there are so many to choose from) Scumbag Pitino stumping for him after whooping his ass by 55. Think he wants KS to stay. Every school in the Acc wants him to stay. Duquesne wants him to stay. PSU licking their chops if he stays. He must go. It won’t be pretty. There will be blowback but it would all be far worse if he stays.

Comment by Will 01.25.17 @ 1:36 pm

Using search firms is just plain stupid. Look at a coaches track record, speak to former players and colleagues. What’s so fucking difficult? KS track record wasn’t great, he wasn’t going to turn into Coach K.

Comment by Pittastic 01.25.17 @ 1:52 pm

No kid in America will want to come to Pitt to play for a guy that puts the blame for the teams losses on the players.

Stallings can’t leave soon enough.

By the way Dixon used to send emails to the student body before every game. (Duzz does this as well) He used to buy them doughnuts and hang out with them while they were waiting to get into the Pete.

Kevin has only sent one email this entire year.

He is clueless and admits to being clueless. He should be shown the door.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.25.17 @ 1:55 pm

I was willing to give KS a pass, particularly given the limited talent on the team and some of their performances against good competition earlier in the season.

But the wheels have fallen off. I really don’t think the program can recover with him at the helm. The cupboard is bare moving forward and after this year’s performance, do you really think Stallings has a shot in hell of getting any decent recruits to come play for him — ACC or not?

And I was thinking the same thing about football recruiting, Isnore. Obviously some schools with strong football programs don’t have a good hoops program to use as a recruiting tool, but I have no doubt that a great experience at the Pete can help potential recruits see what the school has offer, make them see and feel a sense of community and that they’d be part of something exciting. It’s definitely now one less tool at HCPN’s disposal.

Comment by Praise the Lard 01.25.17 @ 2:10 pm

Oh it is so easy to throw this on Stallings. I did not like the hire but please do you think it would have been better this year with Dixon. Most of you basketball experts were convinced that Wilson should have started at the point instead of Robinson last year (what an astute observation). Now we hear that Robinson held it all together and was the team leader. If we are assigning fault:

1. No point guard – Dixon’s fault
2. No center – Dixon’s fault
2a. Recruiting Kithcart wow a point guard who cannot shoot or even make foul shots – Dixon’s fault. Don’t tell me he is Stalling’s guy.
2b. Bringing in Nix (really!!!) – Dixon’s fault
3. No bench, bad recruiting – Dixon’s fault
4. Artis playing defense – Has he ever, who’s fault is that
5. Young playing defense – Has he ever bought in. Last night he let the player go right by him more than a few times and did not try. Should have pulled his ass and sat him.
6. Failure to get buy in – Stallings, but what can you say, he gave them what they wanted the ability to play their own game and take shots without being screamed at. This is the reward he gets.
7. Lack of leadership – Dixon’s players

Stallings may not be the guy but please this should not be on him. It is on the guy in Texas who knew when to get out!

Comment by JP 01.25.17 @ 2:21 pm

No pass for Stallings…though he is going to get one so we’ll have to live with him for at least a few years.

This was a tourney caliber team that he just produced two of Pitt’s worse home loses ever.
They beat Marquette who just beat #1 team..beat Maryland, beat Virginia, took ND to OT (and should of won).
Yes the players are selfish, lazy on defense, not playing as a team etc etc…but that’s the job as a college coach…..a good coach (like we had) would of at least gotten this team to the tourney.

Comment by milobloom 01.25.17 @ 2:21 pm

POD – I agree about Nix’s effort. The last few games, the only other player I’ve seen show any effort is Jones. He at least works to drive to the hoop. Jeter’s acting like he doesn’t want to sweat and Artis/Young have never tried to play defense. It’s a SOFT team.

Comment by KeyboardKev 01.25.17 @ 2:31 pm

@JP didn’t Stallings have time to bring in some help this year???? Yes but he did nothing with that time. Dixon year in and year out found some Juco or Grad tranfer players to help the team. So YES Kevin is to blame for no center no point guard & yes KS is also to blame for no bench.

Did he have to honor the scholarships that Dixon offered? NO but he was happy with who was coming or didn’t car enough to find others.

HAS ANY PLAYER GOTTEN ANY BETTER since Kevin has arrived? The answer is No. We saw improvement from just about every player year over year while Jamie Dixon was here. Players elevated their game and by the time they were seniors they were playing their best basketball. We have 4 seniors who are no where near the top of their game.

These same players played some defense at least as best as they could for the last 3 years and this year they forgot how to play D all of a sudden??? That’s coaching or lack there of.

Kevin Stallings hasn’t done sh-t since he’s got here other than collect a paycheck. The team is worse for having him here as they have regressed and yes they would be playing better for just about any other coach in America.

I would say their play is a direct reflection of their coach. Lazy and selfish

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.25.17 @ 3:34 pm

I can’t blame Barnes. Stallings would gave been a logical choice except for the Jeter incident.

Also Stallings could have brought in a couple of JC’s at center and point guard.

It is obvious now he has lost or (never had) the players.

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 01.25.17 @ 3:48 pm

Thank you Oregon St…..thank you…

Just think if Mellonhead Barnes was in charge of hiring the next BB coach here too. (((SHUDDER))))

I have to agree with UPitt some on Gallagher….he should never have let Barnes hire a firm to do his job. 90+% of the people here could have done a better job than that firm.

Comment by Jackagain 01.25.17 @ 3:50 pm

Upittbasell, don’t start picking on Gallagher! I don’t want to lose another person.

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 01.25.17 @ 3:51 pm

link to youtube.com

Comment by Jackagain 01.25.17 @ 3:53 pm

Has this happened before with KS. Yes

link to anchorofgold.com

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.25.17 @ 3:53 pm

Dixon did start leading the down spiral. The recent recruiting is showing the results of his efforts.

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 01.25.17 @ 3:57 pm

Tony – If you had asked the question about player improvement a week ago, I would’ve said both Young and Artis are markedly improved this year. In fact, though now doubtful, its possible we’ll be able to say that at the end of the year. But the TEAM is not improving, in fact just the opposite, albeit they are missing one important player, and the team digression along with lack of defense all year long, is what worries me.

Old Pitt Grad – Sorry, but I disagree with regard to Barnes, he/they set certain expectation concerning a hire, and those expectations were not only not met, but they were stunningly neglected. They hired a 56 year old coach with a long history of only moderate success in a poor basketball conference. Before Stallings was hired, without an AD, we pulled off the hiring of Pat Narduzzi. Even if Narduzzi hadn’t panned out, I would have had no regrets based on his resume, fit, etc.

Once deemed a ‘reach’, Brandon Knight is starting to look pretty good right now, at least with him we would’ve had the excitement of the ‘unknown’, along with a little passion and pride.

Comment by 1618mt 01.25.17 @ 3:57 pm

Upitt, Nordenberg was the guy you should have been all over. It would have saved us 5-6 yrs in both men’s sports.

I can’t watch a PITT BB game, any more, right now; too painful

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 01.25.17 @ 4:00 pm

And by the way, I DON’T think Stallings is a bad coach, or a bad guy, I just think he was a bad choice for us. And further, although interest in the team is fading fast, I will be rooting for KS and the team; it’s just hard to watch that product and have a lot of pride…

Comment by 1618mt 01.25.17 @ 4:02 pm

Look, I’m not happy with this season either but the fact of the matter is we have a group of players that had little interest playing for the last coach- THE ONE THAT RECRUITED THEM- and now people are upset because they won’t play for the new one? We were picked near the bottom of the ACC for a reason. This was always considered a throw away season. Stallings truly has to get his guys in before we can judge. The guys he has coming next year actually look half decent. Hell, if I was the coach of this team you betcha I would be calling this group out. They should absolutely have more leadership and pride. Bottom line, this upper class is on the previous coach (there’s a reason he’s not here anymore), not the current. Just chill for a couple years. This program will be back in the stone ages if we just fire another coach.

Comment by The Pitt Dilemma 01.25.17 @ 4:19 pm

I’m glad others pointed out, what I was going to post last nite after the game.

That Stallings got throw out,,,because he didn’t want to be on the bench…in this historic blowout.

Not so much because they stunk, but because certain seniors ‘packed it in’….er…quit.

You’re the Head Coach, man up and sit the on the bench. Cowardice behavior all the way around.

Comment by EMel 01.25.17 @ 4:33 pm

And how goes Pitt’s eternal search for an AD and an OC ????

I’ve never seen a University that takes an eternity with what seems like EVERYONE they hire.

And then even after all that time, all that deliberation….more often than not…they still get it wrong.

More of SOP.

Wish they would run it with the same ruthlessness of say…..let me think…..aaaaa.

UPMC

Comment by EMel 01.25.17 @ 4:40 pm

Pitt needs an ADectomy……and a coach enema….

Comment by Jackagain 01.25.17 @ 4:43 pm

So what is the final price tag on Herman coming East of the Mississippi for the first time in his life and helping ruin a bball program that had been to 13 NCAA’s in the last 15 years ?

And why is this guy still in town ?

Lending his expertise in landing a new AD ? :)

Comment by EMel 01.25.17 @ 5:24 pm

Since we are no longer a BB school let’s raze the Pete and build the New PITT Stadium

Comment by BigB 01.25.17 @ 5:31 pm

How can anyone be surprised that this team is what it is. Everyone knew that no star player wanted to play for good old Jamie. He did have a one and done (once) and Steve Adams was not ready to play (what 10 min. per game). Give me a break this is all on Dixon. Tony in Hbg. you said that Jamie brought in grad transfers and Stalling should have done the same. Yeah, I was really impressed with the grad transfers that Jamie brought in (can’t even remember their names). Oh maybe with Majdia (or whatever) we would be 6 and 1 in the ACC. He brought in grad transfers last year because he knew he had no one else willing to come in and play for him. Don’t get me wrong Stallings may be a complete flop but this is not his doing. Today people are saying that Brandon Knight should have gotten the job. Most of you would have been bitching up a storm if he was hired. However, I do agree but cannot understand why Pitt cannot hire a top proven commodity or a top up and comer. Coaching at Dayton in the A-10 is really better than coaching in the ACC?

Comment by JP 01.25.17 @ 5:59 pm

I for one, truly appreciated the Big East years. The years Jamie Dixon’s Pitt teams were battling Connecticut at the top of the best basketball conference in the country. Jamie Dixon owned Jim Boeheim’s Syracuse teams beating them with an astounding regularity. It was UConn, Pitt and Syracuse at the top of the Big East. However I thought this year’s Pitt team would still be competitive. I thought next season would be the big drop off.

Comment by Justinian 01.25.17 @ 6:08 pm

JP when Pitt beat Virginia (after having wins over Maryland, Marquette and close loss in OT to ND) were you saying this team was a disaster? So yes to fall this far in a few weeks is a surprise….even for those who hated this hire we had some hope at that point that this season wouldn’t be a loss.
(Next year it wouldn’t have been surprise though.)
Now not only the season is gone, but probably the program again for another decade or two, like we had when the Evens era ended…remember his players hated him as well and see how that ended.

I liked Knight a lot, but he wasn’t ready yet….if you ever talked to him or see him speak in front of a crowd of fans he just wasn’t there yet to be face of the program…give him some more experience and sure he can some day. (He’s not doing much help at Rutgers yet…they are as bad as Pitt right now.

Comment by milobloom 01.25.17 @ 6:15 pm

Big B, I liked the old Stadium. I would have liked seeing it renovated like Georgia Tech did with their stadium. The Rose Bowl removed their bench seats and put in modern seating when they did their major renovations about 12 years ago. Unfortunately like it or not Heinz Field is our Stadium. The only thing that fill the seats is winning. From what I see from the way Narduzzi and his staff recruits the talent level will continue to improve. Yes we are definitely a Football school. A football school with a program on the rise.

Comment by Justinian 01.25.17 @ 6:18 pm

@JP….. if true that no star player wants to play for Dixon, have you checked out TCU recruiting classes…. a 4 star PG for this season that starts this season and averages 10 a game…..and 2 more 4 stars next year…including a 6foot 10 inch center.
TCU also dished out the money for Assistant coaches…something Pitt seemed to be tight with.

Comment by milobloom 01.25.17 @ 6:35 pm

For the 30th time UVA is terrible this year.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.25.17 @ 7:31 pm

Despite all of its problems with DEPTH and DEFENSE and ATHLETICISM, this Pitt Team’s success boils down to whether Artis and Young EACH score 20+.

Yes, it really is that simple.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.25.17 @ 7:53 pm

Granted… Stallings has done nothing to counter the problem of either Artis or Young coming up COLD.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.25.17 @ 7:56 pm

Me personally… given the Team’s OVERALL shooting problems… I would have Artis and Young simply DRIVE to the Basket in an effort to get fouled.

That might be a GOOD starting point.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.25.17 @ 8:06 pm

@ JP Jamie Dixon brought in Mike Cook, Jermaine Dixon, Trey Zeigler, & Rafael Maia all of which helped the teams they played on and did a nice job for Pitt.

I’m not saying that Jamie needed to stay because he was ready to go but Kevin Stallings certainly wasn’t an upgrade. Anyone can look at Kevin’s record at Vandy and see that he accomplished less than Jamie Dixon during his career. Kevin is a known quantity and was going to be shown the door at Vanderbilt.

This was a desperation hire for both him and Herman and we are expected to see how it pans out?

Stallings had plenty of options to upgrade his roster going into this season and he took none and the blame for that falls squarely on him.

I would have been happy taking Bryce Drew but Vanderbilt did a better with their fire/hire job……….

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.25.17 @ 8:13 pm

Not UVA strongest team but far from terrible….pretty good resume even with the Pitt loss. They actually beat Louisville and ND.

Comment by milobloom 01.25.17 @ 8:16 pm

Others that knew this was an awful hire look no further than Kevin’s old school.

link to scout.com

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.25.17 @ 8:16 pm

Jackagain thanks for the laugh in the middle of this sad debacle.

“This discussion about Barnes, Dixon & Stallings is like arguing over who was the dummy on the Three Stooges.”

Comment by Coach Ditka 01.25.17 @ 9:01 pm

Pitt is not a good team but they shouldn’t be a bad team. This team has quit. It’s pointless arguing about it. The returning players lacked the heart of previous iterations of Pitt. When Dixon left they saw the “fun” to be had and apparently thought that meant they didn’t have to work and earn W’s. This is the same team minus Robinson. Dixon would have had Kithcart starting at PG and he would have gone deeper in the bench. Dixon did not leave the cupboard bare for this year. Next year was always going to be the rebuild year. And it still is. Stallings has some decent talent who all are rising coming in and they have better connections to the 2018 Class. I say keep him. If you’re going to fire him though, it has to be done this offseason. Any delay F’s the program long term and prolongs the rebuild. This isn’t clamoring for Dixon. I was invis corner and find his detractors amusing but a change of scenery was needed for both parties. I do agree with Levance Firlds though … B-Knight could be 12-8 too.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.25.17 @ 9:13 pm

Minus Artis and Young… the Pitt Kitchen is in all-out DEMO Mode.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.25.17 @ 9:27 pm

We will never know and yes I am probably talking total smack, but if JD was still here, Nix would be starting, and averaging over 15 rebounds per game. Tell me how Dixon would not mold him like he did McGhee or Gray (defensively at least). Young would be in his natural position. People would be missing shots and Nix/Jeter would be cleaning the boards to get new ones (because, btw, if ever there was a reason we were a top 10 team, it was NOT shooting ability for heaven’s sake, it was winning the rebound battle by 10 EVERY night). Artis would be even better playing the role of Sam Young. Still, have an assist problem, no one on the roster can generate them with any consistency…still, have JA and MY not play any semblance of defense…still, this would be a .500 ACC team and bubble but make the Tourney.

Yeah yeah that is probably the most debatable thing I have ever said on this board!! I know…

And Yeah, yeah, yeah Dixon had to go blah blah… Not arguing that point either, it is true.

Comment by DD 01.25.17 @ 9:48 pm

Dear AP writers and Division I coaches on polling committees,

I am writing to inform you that all of you should turn in your resignations immediately. For you to have UVA 12 and 13 in your polls demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge regarding college basketball this season. Simply put, UVA is terrible this year. My qualification for making this assessment of UVAs talent level this year is the groove my backside has worn into my living room couch while watching college BB this year. Therefore, I am an expert.

Respectfully,

HbgFrank

Comment by HbgFrank 01.25.17 @ 9:55 pm

link to sportingnews.com

DeCourcy chimes in…

Comment by NickC 01.25.17 @ 10:19 pm

Interesting article.

Still a lot of People are failing to realize that Jamie Dixon wanted to cut his TIES to Pitt last year at least as much or MORE than Gallagher and Barnes wanted him gone.

There was no HUGGING that was going to keep Jamie at Pitt.

BAD RECRUITING + BUYOUT MONEY + TCU = Time to GO!!

Comment by PittofDreams 01.25.17 @ 11:11 pm

What happened to the cool looking “retro” uniforms? Saving them for the last place showdown vs clemscum?

If so, let’s hope that is the hoops equivalent of a “springboard” and this team bounces back from the throws of being THE WORST TEAM in Pitt’s BB history.

Young and Artis show signs of being NBA talent – those signs are why I don’t watch the NBA. Most NBA players a are great athletes, that fact, may be why those two don’t get drafted.

Comment by Erie Express 01.26.17 @ 6:02 am

Meyer and other writers keep writing “hit rock bottom”. How can you say that before playing Clemson? Losing to Clemson would be rock bottom. And there is a 50% chance it happens.

Comment by DD 01.26.17 @ 6:58 am

In the Burgh on business. Marriott to build a Marriott super hotel on the site of the PAA.

Now if only the Pete could be turned into a domed stadium!!!!

Comment by Dan 72 01.26.17 @ 8:14 am

Dixon earned his buyout. People who wanted him gone and to pay the buyout are just spiteful a-holes. Fact. The buyout helped all parties involved move along amicably. Whatever Pitt decides to do, they have to stick with the decision they make this offseason. If they decide to keep Stallings, he get a couple of years. If they’re going to cut ties, do it fast.

By the way, what Stallings is doing in the press is a common coaching tactic and just a change of ideology from Dixon. Huggins calls his players out in the press all the time. Coach K has done it too. Just depends on who is coach and what their philosophy on player motivation is. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with holding a player accountable. Even if it is publicly.

Where I think Stalling may have crossed a line is the airing of dirty laundry by hinting at factions developing among the team. On the court is open game. Locker room issues are family stuff. I’m sure he’s playing mind games for a reason but that seems to be dangerous territory.

Currently we have 4 new guys coming in and I think he’s recruiting a 5th. I wouldn’t be surprised at this point if it’s 7 or 8 now. Blow the whole thing up.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.26.17 @ 9:07 am

The great coaches get the great players AND have a strong system in place they HAVE to fit into. Pitino for example (who I used to be his kids camp counselor when he was at PC!) does not just “let them have fun” like Stallings…they do what he says or forget it.

Dixon had a system…but could not recruit the great players.

Stallings clearly does not have the system, of any kind, and it remains to be seen if he can really recruit ACC talent.

But lets not kid ourselves and think Stallings can take Pitt to new heights because at best he has only one of the two key elements. That much seems clear from this season so far.

Comment by DD 01.26.17 @ 9:15 am

Nice article Nick. Thanks.

Like I said yesterday. Laughingstock.

That is Mr. Barnes’ legacy.

Comment by wally 01.26.17 @ 9:16 am

Tossing – You have been a fan of Stallings and liked this hire.

I will educate you on the money TCU has since you apparently have no idea. As a Spiteful Asshole that wanted the full buyout for Dixon, verse lowering it and paying a buyout for a old turd in Stallings I have more business aptitude than Barnes ever will have. TCU has more money than they need and money is never an issue. The Carter family would of happily paid that and more.

It was time for Jamie to go but only if you upgrade not hire a Geritol Neverbeen Perenial Loser from SEC where basketball was neglected for 30 years.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.17 @ 9:29 am

DD – You’re right. Stallings is not a “system” coach. He has his philosophies but is willing to see what the team develops into. He’s a Roy Williams disciple which means that it can take a long time for a team to find itself and often times there is a clash of objectives which leads to a lack of team chemistry. These are alll issues Roy deals with at UNC regularly. It’s the reason UNC consistency doesn’t live up to the hype. When it all clicks though, they are amazing. That’s our future under Stallings. Occasional spikes when it all comes together surrounded by teams that can’t find the right chemistry leaving a frustrated product on the court. The complaints about Dixon were his totalitarian approach to coaching, but historically, those are the best college basketball coaches. Free spirits tend to get eaten alive when it’s all on the line.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.26.17 @ 9:29 am

Tossing – I never wanted Dixon to pay the buyout I wanted TCU to pay in full. Maybe I misread your comment.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.17 @ 9:30 am

Stallings is the CEO of Pitt Basketball. You blame the CEO not the players. It is his job to make them great. He is allowed to recruit and get JUCO’s last I looked.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.17 @ 9:31 am

That is case in point why you don’t hire lethargic lazy neverbeens who are collecting a check and waiting to sit on the front porch.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.17 @ 9:32 am

Stallings will be gone by next Season. No AD that is worth a shit would keep this bum on the staff. He is lazy and quits on players. He quit and walked into the locker room like a coward.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.17 @ 9:36 am

Upitt – I have not been a fan Stallings and I did not like his hire. I have been very critical of how the process went down and who we decided on. Go back and look and show me where I said I liked the hire. I’m in almost 100% agreement with Chas’ philosophy on the hire. Didn’t like it. Uninspired. But I like Pitt so I will root for him. That’s it. Having said that, he inherited a difficult team. He’s recruited fairly well – all 4 of the incoming class are shooting up the recruiting boards and this staff have better ties with the 2018 class because Vandy didn’t have many coming in for 2017. I’m fine if they fire him but I think they have to do it now. If not, give him a couple of years.

Dixon earned his buyout and the ability to leave amicably. Pitt did the right thing. Both needed a change of scenery and that was the best way to cut ties with your most successful coach in program history.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.26.17 @ 9:38 am

Upitt – ahhh. That’s different. Maybe I misunderstood you too.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.26.17 @ 9:39 am

Tossing – As usual, I agree with your comments. It was definitely time for Dixon to go and I think he knew it, he couldn’t recruit the ACC and for some odd reason refused to compensate for his weakness by hiring staff to do that, or at least reverting back to his old style of recruiting (less athletic, more physical) players that he had initial success with. I was a huge Dixon fan, great character guy and a very good coach, but there was no plan to fix the recruiting problem, so no way to justify continuing down the wrong path. The current roster is smoking gun evidence of the problem that had been festering for years.

That said, I will be utterly stunned if Stallings pans out (wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong though), and if I’m an alumni ‘of influence’, I’d be all over the administration about the need to cut ties now with KS and start clean when a new AD is brought in. This is the only way to to make a change, and if anyone doesn’t believe a change is necessary now, then take a look at attendance on Saturday and beyond, watch what happens…

Comment by 1618mt 01.26.17 @ 9:40 am

Past indicates future 80% of time.

Past – Stallings sucked at Vandy

Current – He is a Dumpster fire at Pitt.

Future – Odds are he will suck in the future.

So burn it down and start over. Young passionate coach and rebuild or hire a proven winner and pay the money not be cheap like they were to get Stallings.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.17 @ 9:56 am

Don’t take it from me. Read about it from this guy who is outside our bubble looking in. The title of his article?

“It’s only going to get worse for Pitt”
link to fanragsports.com

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.26.17 @ 10:01 am

Tony – WOW.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.17 @ 10:40 am

Thanks for ruining my day Tony! :) Kidding. Its OK. The truth just hurts.

Comment by DD 01.26.17 @ 12:30 pm

Who’s Joseph Nardone? Answer… Freelance Writer.

Granted, he does make some salient points and might very well be right about Pitt possibly heading further into the abyss.

But Nardone COMPLETELY loses credibility in his comment that Stallings was handed a “full cupboard.”

Doesn’t take a Basketball Genius to figure out that was not the case… not even close.

Certainly, with his decision to ABANDON his Team in the middle of an HISTORIC loss, Stallings has earned his place on THIN ICE.

But let’s deal in the facts.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.26.17 @ 1:13 pm

Tony,

The article you sent was very interesting and made some good points, but there’s also a lot flawed logic in it. I think the guy was trying to be genuine but apparently didn’t do a lot of research. Dixon’s problem was recruiting, and the program was already in a long term downward slide, as measured in both recruiting and wins, for years. Sure, if you look at total wins, it is a very commendable record, but again, that’s terribly flawed logic. Also, nobody would argue that Dixon is not a good coach, and most Pitt fans wanted him to stay if he could right the ship, but for some reason he just wouldn’t address the recruiting problem, maybe he didn’t really care anymore and had his eyes set on leaving, who knows? But the fact that he recruited better his first year at TCU is only evidence that the solution was to surround him with staff that addressed his weakness. The idea that we were ‘lucky to have him’, or lucky to have Howland, is really pathetic.

And the articles stats are wildly misleading. If you take almost any school and remove their 1 or 2 winningest coaches from the records books, they would have a pretty poor history. Duh, its basketball. And in hoops its just as easy to turn things around with the right guy.

Pitt is in a great city, a great basketball conference, a really nice arena, and a great fanbase when we are competitive in hoops, there’s no reason we should just be happy with a coach unable to recruit (past), or a coach unable to coach (present). I agree with Upitt, and think we should look for a young, passionate coach that can recruit, and take a shot.

Comment by 1618mt 01.26.17 @ 1:37 pm

Funny how the guy who can’t recruit went to TCU & immediately landed a couple top guards & center for a team that hasn’t done crap in basketball before. As far as assistants goes, you can’t by lobster with tuna money. Pitt is cheap & the program doesn’t get the support it needs to truly be a top team. If nothing changes they will be bums who are lucky to make a tourney a couple times a decade.

Comment by Nick 01.26.17 @ 1:52 pm

You guys can knock the article all you want..but it is the truth.
The days of Pitt getting 20 wins and playing in the tourney are gone for a long time.

Pitt had a good coach..a very smart coach..so smart he knew it was the best time to leave since wasn’t worth the headaches of rebuilding.

This notion he can’t recruit is bull…look at what he has coming into TCU…a place that probably 3 quarters of their fans wouldn’t know where the basketball arena is located.

Stallings was on radio this morning, basically saying he’s not backing down to his players…his way only…he made it sound like Dixon gave them a lot more freedom as students then Stallings likes and the players are pushing back as Stallings has been clamping down on them.

Comment by milobloom 01.26.17 @ 2:07 pm

Nick, apparently you didn’t read too closely. Yes, he surrounded himself with a couple of recruiters/staff at TCU, which is exactly WHY he got good players. Read first.

Comment by 1618mt 01.26.17 @ 2:10 pm

Another one. I just shake my head some times…

Comment by 1618mt 01.26.17 @ 2:13 pm

No kidding he surrounded himself with great recruiters at TCU…that’s how a good head coach recruits…the argument that he can’t recruit top players because of his style etc is flawed because he’s doing great at TCU….the point is he could could not recruit top players to Pitt in the ACC….so problem isn’t him but the Pitt…(not giving him enough money to get assistants like he has at TCU, Playing in ACC, critical fan base.)

Comment by milobloom 01.26.17 @ 2:21 pm

I agree with a lot of the article and agree that a young hungry coach was the correct answer if we couldn’t find an experienced coach who may be better than JD. (That’s a tall order)

The completely wrong answer when Jamie left was the under achieving, retread of a non coach we have now. I think Stallings replacement at Vanderbilt, Bryce Drew, would have been a better hire for us than him.

I also do not think this team is devoid of talent. The roster needed augmented at a few spots by a couple of JUCOs or even better a grad transfer or two. For some reason unknown to anyone not named Kevin Stallings that didn’t happen in the off season and so we are stuck with what we have. A bunch of forwards, a two guard, and a Point that is raw and can’t shoot.

For those that say we need to give KS time, that time will simply be wasted digging a deeper and larger hole for the inevitable next coach to have to dig out of before getting the program above ground again.

People say when you have a cancer in the locker room you need to excise it immediately. Unfortunately for us the cancer is to one at wheel of the ship doing nothing to steer it away from the cliff that everyone else sees coming.

Barnes screwed us hard with this hire and the fans are going to have to deal with it for years to come unless the AD says this dumpster fire and decides to put it out immediately.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.26.17 @ 2:25 pm

Leadership (or lack thereof) from this senior class is what is so disappointing to me. I’m not a big KS fan but this senior class isn’t giving him much to work with in terms of leadership or a team-first mindset. Yeah, those seniors can score points, but a complete lack of leadership there. No “C” on any jerseys in BBall and it’s fitting. The Football Captains at least had heart and showed Pitt Pride. This is getting UGLY!

Comment by VictoryLites 01.26.17 @ 2:37 pm

Drew or the kid at GT are WAY BETTER coaches and we didn’t move on either because that Pumpkin Headed Son of a Bitch was hired by Gallagher and immediately I said that Turd and his 11 wives will miss Utah or PNW and move back before 24 months. He made it 16.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.17 @ 2:52 pm

A little Pitt Football.

Going back to his first Starts under Chryst, I’ve been extremely critical of Adam Bisnowaty. Gone so far as to call him OVER-rated as an Offensive Tackle.

Seems the NFL agrees. Bisnowaty has been moved to Guard at the Senior Bowl.

Now there he has a chance.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.26.17 @ 3:04 pm

Blackout for Clem with free T shirts.
Then UNC, Duke and BC on road as we fight for the ACC basement.

Comment by Frank MD 01.26.17 @ 3:21 pm

This should provide some insight into the complete disarray within the athletic department:

Just received an email from the coach touting how important Saturdays game is and how much they need our attendance. Makes sense right? Show a little love. Let the boosters know all is OK and under control.

Email was from Narduzzi.

You can’t make this shit up.

Comment by wally 01.26.17 @ 3:59 pm

Apparently Stallings couldn’t find time on his busy schedule to write one himself. Odd. He clearly had 90 minutes of unscheduled downtime Tuesday night. Instead of pouting he could have made better use of that time don’t ya think?

Comment by wally 01.26.17 @ 4:14 pm

At what point does Gallagher get the BLAME?

Comment by PittofDreams 01.26.17 @ 4:22 pm

Pitt just damned themselves on Saturday for bball. Every time they do one of the special events and giveaways they lose the game.

@Upitt I don’t think you’d have been all that happy with Pastner either. Other than being far younger than Rockports he had a fair to poor history and was thought by some to be on his way out. It’s a shame Brian Gregory had such a poor record overall at GT since he recruited much of the current roster. Gregory had some good years at UD, but couldn’t seem to pull it together at GT.

Comment by Barvo 01.26.17 @ 4:52 pm

at what point do we get a OC??

Comment by goalie44 01.26.17 @ 5:09 pm

PoD – blame for what? Pitt basketball has been coming to a crossroads for a few years now. At face value, it’s just a bad season. The third one in the 2000’s. We like to make a lot of it in the moment but it’s really just a bunch of checked out seniors under a new coach. This is a very hard season to judge Stallings on because we all know how this team was under Jaime … madly frustrating. A team that was marked by being stagnant in development. Is it really surprising they are regressing this year? 2017 was always going to be bad and the first true rebuild this century. The 2017 class this staff has assembled is quietly solid so a foundation is there. The importance of 2018 recruiting cannot be overstated. The cliff dive happened a year sooner than most expected but it was always on the horizon. This team will lose the 4 seniors … and possibly (hopefully) more kids next year. I’m not really worried about the culture carrying over. There will be so much turnover and only the ones who truly want to be Pitt Panthers will stay. Everyone wants to lay blame but it’s just a natural cycle that was probably long overdue. Beginning with the 2012 team, the culture has been amiss. A rip and replace approach is probably a good thing long term. This is neither a pro or anti Stallings post. I just hope whatever Pitt does they do it with long term stability on their mind. That means if they keep Stallings, giving him a few years to fix this mess. If it means cutting him loose, then Pitt better have learned it’s lesson from last year.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.26.17 @ 5:14 pm

I predict pitt loses half its season ticket base next year. It has already eroded significantly. Even if you think ks deserves a chance he is in such a deep hole he is going to have to turn it around quickly. Everyone knows he was hired in a corrupt insider manner. He takes no responsibility for the debalce this year. He quit on Tuesday then blames players for lack of leadership last time I checked he was coach.

Comment by Steve 01.26.17 @ 5:33 pm

I can judge Rockports by looking at him and his bad suits. He reeks of an avg old pap who just wants to draw a check.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.17 @ 6:59 pm

Seeing it first-hand, I can say confidently it was the worst performance by a D1 basketball team in a very, very, long time. I’d say it was disgraceful, but that would be an insult to the word.

Stallings isn’t and never will be the answer. The new AD needs to be given the authority to write-off the absolute failure of a hire by the 1 year wonder of an AD who should be sued by Pitt for dereliction of duties and stealing paychecks.

Dixon also needs to be taken to task. There isn’t a single player on that bench with any potential. Nix makes Pitt look like a laughing stock when he’s on the court. Jamie left this team totally bereft of talent, other than 2 seniors apparently with attitude issues. Wilson can’t defend or shoot, Manigault is limited in almost every aspect of the game, and the freshman PG is too small (height and weight) to play D1.

I have two more games to suffer through and that will likely be it for me and Pitt BB until they do something to warrant my support.

Comment by Taxing Matters 01.26.17 @ 7:12 pm

Tossing… they lost by 55@ And, oh yes… the Coach CUT BAIT and RAN while the Battle was still going on.

Similar to you, I’ve been a GUARDED Stallings Supporter.

But walking out on YOUR Team while it’s being beaten by HISTORIC margins. That’s like a Field General sounding the Alarm for RETREAT and he’s the only One on the Battlefield in a position to do it.

No, this was pretty much DIFFERENT than anything witnessed prior (see Chas).

Comment by PittofDreams 01.26.17 @ 7:41 pm

And yes… Gallagher is ULTIMATELY to Blame.

He was the one who signed off on paying 100K PLUS to the Search Firm owned by Barnes’ friend Todd Turner who had Stallings on Speed Dial in his Phone.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.26.17 @ 7:55 pm

Barney has made Sir Patrick G look bad several times, including these next few weeks while he is on Pitt’s payroll while “out of the office” having a minor surgical proceedure (on Pitt I’m sure).

Comment by Erie Express 01.26.17 @ 8:14 pm

Problems in Dook Land too….

link to businessinsider.com

Comment by Jackagain 01.26.17 @ 8:18 pm

I find it refreshing that our coach is calling out our cry baby seniors!!!

Our coach is limited with this crap of a roster

I would love to hear some coaches that you guess THINK would want to come to our awesome situation?!

Please enlighten me!!!

Comment by Keith 01.26.17 @ 8:20 pm

Keith, if only he didn’t pull an ELVIS… and leave the Building.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.26.17 @ 8:32 pm

Here’s a possible theory I’ve haven’t much off…could it be that Pitt did offer plenty of up-and-comers in the coaching ranks (like Miller at Dayton) and they all turned us down?

A new AD would never let that info out. Maybe all we could get is a washed up old coach to come here. I mean, the Athletic Dept. at Pitt is always known to be among the worst in the nation. They have been cheap with Dixon as far as assistants and the distance they could recruit.

Comment by Jackagain 01.26.17 @ 8:33 pm

Jack – Sean and Archie declined Pitt’s requests. I know that for a fact.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.17 @ 8:46 pm

The 55 point game is historically bad. No doubt. It’s also just one game in one season. As optimistic as I can be I’ve said several times to expect a bad season. This group of players just doesn’t get it. They never have. They lost one player last season. The bench is not great but it’s not as bad as Stallings leads us to believe. A decent coach would get something.

I’ll tell you what though. If Hoiberg is fired in Chicago, Pitt should pay whatever he wants to come here. That’s the HR hire Pitt needs.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.26.17 @ 8:56 pm

Don’t give Gallagher a pass. The talk is right on. But we didn’t compete with LSU to keep Canada, did we? We made money on Dixon’s exit. We went cheap (I hope so) to hire Stallings. What’s so different from the Nordenberg/Pederson era? Pederson hired his friends to design the Robo dinosaur that still adorns Pitt’s athletic image. Nordenberg cost Pitt a fortune extending Pederson. Barnes’ leaving is a direct reflection on Gallagher’s hiring acumen.

So stop crying and lameting the terrible state of basketball. It’s time for Pitt to open the books for all to see. You say you want a championship program. But what kind of program are you paying for??

Comment by Tony77019 01.26.17 @ 8:57 pm

UPitt, thus my point….and I never mentioned Sean.

How does a guy at Dayton turn down a job at a Power 5 school for more money in the ACC unless that school is toxic?

Comment by Jackagain 01.26.17 @ 9:05 pm

I think the problem is the BOT. Bunch of old school out of date dinosaurs themselves.

Comment by Tommymac 01.26.17 @ 9:30 pm

Tony – Pitt offered $1M. Look at this list from last year. Only 11 schools (LSU x 2) were in that club.

link to sports.usatoday.com

7 SEC, ND, Baylor, Clemson and Louisville gave their assistants $1m or more. Michigan joined the club just recently. Pitt would have been in a select group. The school is invested in the football program.

Dixon’s salary was 7th in the country. Not cheap either. Stallings is most likely in that area as well and has a 6 year contract.

Barnes f’d up the basketball hire. No one is arguing that. Barnes is also now leaving. Pitt has a chance to correct the mistake or live with it for a few years.

Dixon is very popular in coaching circles and the way he left (gently pushed) did did not help Pitt’s candidate pool. By not giving B-Knight a real shot, he alienated former players … the link to Pitt’s heyday. The next AD is going to have his work cut out for him to get the basketball program humming again. Holberg would be a great start …

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.26.17 @ 9:38 pm

When he got himself kicked out Tuesday night HCKS lost the greater Pittsburgh fan base.

We can tolerate a lot…but quitting is not allowed at all.

Pittsburgh fans will suffer through losing seasons…but only if they think the players and coaches show they are working hard and doing the best they can regardless of the circumstances. (See Roosevelt Nix as to how one should act – he is the antithesis of HCKS.)

Getting kicked out the way he did, instead of suffering with the players on the bench, goes against the grain of the hard working Western PA sports character and mythology.

He lost his job then and there, whether it is next week, this spring or in a year or two.

He violated one of the prime tenets of the Western PA culture – he gave up in the face of adversity.

Comment by Tommymac 01.26.17 @ 9:49 pm

Tommymac – Can’t argue that.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.26.17 @ 9:59 pm

I heard Stallings on the FAN tonight and he said he had a problem with that ref before dating back to 2012. He argued Jeter fowling out when Pitt was down 40. He told the ref it was a fowl, but that he should have let it go.

The ref got nasty and that was it….

Comment by Jackagain 01.26.17 @ 10:40 pm

1618, if I was talking to you I’d address you. Now go get your shine box.

Comment by Nick 01.26.17 @ 10:47 pm

Kevin said it was the refs fault? Sure why not.

The players don’t get what he’s saying, we are not deep or talented, they don’t communicate. He has told this team that they suck 15 different way (some of you are buying this line of BS) because it can’t possible be anything he’s done wrong.

Someone else is always at fault for his problems.

He’s just being honest…..

I have an old friend who could never hold onto a job more than a weeks because the 100’s of places who employed him ALL had tons of issues and things wrong with how THEY wanted things done. Fortunately for them they didn’t sign him to a 6 year contract.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.26.17 @ 11:07 pm

Tossing – He gets 1.5 at LSU and Pitt offered 1M only after he got the LSU offer. No Proactiveness

Jack – Archie honestly felt it is a step
Down from UD. We are all
Friends. He will be in ACC
Or at OSU in 2 years.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.17 @ 11:45 pm

That’s what I’m saying, no one wanted this job!, pitt fans have to realize that!

Archie or Sean are not walking throughout that door!

We’ve become average to quickly becoming below average program fast

Can we recover? Who knows, I know this, I wouldn’t want to coach here with all the fair weather fans who don’t support the university they “supposovly” love!

Comment by Keith 01.26.17 @ 11:52 pm

Look at programs like Iowa st, Nebraska, Minnesota, New Mexico,(those are a few I could think of) these are all teams who fill there arenas because the support and live their university

Pittsburgh will only support a winner

Pitt had 1,000’s of “fans” on the waiting list to get to see a game at the PETE……they gone!

Pathetic

Comment by Keith 01.26.17 @ 11:59 pm

Keith – The only hope is a true up and comer who falls in love and decides to stay or you get a huggy bear type
Guy mid 40’s and wants to settle down.

The word on the street it Pitt doesnt support coaches for salaries etc. plus big league it. Jamie is getting all that at TCU and private jets.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.27.17 @ 12:08 am

No Keith – the product Pitt was putting on the court was pathetic for ~ $1600 for 2 season tickets a year. The opponents in Nov/Dec were boring…and it was obvious something was wrong recruiting wise.

Pittsburghers are not rich and there are a lot of options for recreational dollars…I do not blame anyone for dropping their season tickets.

We will not be renewing men’s bball for 2017/18 unless the price drops substantially. I am pissed they offer specials and better seats for ACC games after the fall ticket window closed. Not once has the ticket office called us or emailed us to offer us those better seats; or at least give us a free seat or two in one of the high profile games to make up for it. Our club number is high – no one called us pre season to tell us that we couldl have gotten better seats because the Pete was not sold out.

H2P

Comment by Tommymac 01.27.17 @ 12:18 am

I can’t imagine seeing more than 1-2 hoop games a year either slogball or losing by 50 ball but glad you support them TommyMac. Better man than me.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.27.17 @ 12:25 am

Any word on a new AD, OC, HC of BBall, janitor at CoL ?

Any word on anything ? Inquiring Pitt minds want to know.

New Prez is redesigning the whole country in less than a week.

Pitt not so much :(

Comment by EMel 01.27.17 @ 12:40 am

@Upittbaseball
Thanks. Just love bball – was raised on Tobacco Road.

But I will not support a coach who disrespects the game. HCKS disrespected the game, the fans, the players, the university and the region Tuesday night.

Comment by Tommymac 01.27.17 @ 12:50 am

Tommymac, I’m hearing you. Multiple decades of 4-8 tickets has my group down to 2 and wondering why we pay so much for so little. Athletic department has never been “user friendly” but last few years has been awful.

Comment by Lastrowofsection4 01.27.17 @ 5:17 am

Gallagher is no Trump. He doesn’t even know that Barnes is using him. And Pitt. Chancellors aren’t CEO types. They operate in the academic world where, if your over budget, you simply raise tuition. Just like the government simply raises taxes. There is no such thing as accountability in their world. They can’t sell tickets and can’t figure out why. An amazing display of incompetence. In the business world, they would “claw back” the money they paid Barnes. Gallagher will no doubt offer him a golden parachute. Pathetic.

Comment by Wally 01.27.17 @ 7:28 am

TommyMac right there with you…on both the tickets…I get pissed they never offer the season tickets holders those closer seats when they resell them….and about Stallings getting kicked out of the game…chicken sh#t move.

Comment by milobloom 01.27.17 @ 11:11 am