January 19, 2017

Several Pat Signals

Filed under: Football,Recruiting — Chas @ 8:44 am

Pitt got three more verbals in a roughly 24 hour period. Only two are known, though.

The first, was Jason Pinnock. A cornerback from Connecticut. Pinnock was a Boston College commit, but after a senior year that saw interest in him rise he decommitted. Pitt offered him and both Syracuse and Notre Dame were showing interest. Pinnock was supposed to to take a visit to South Bend, next week but has since cancelled his remaining visits.

His star rating is not high. Rivals.com has him updated to a 3-star, but the other recruiting sites say 2-star. At 6-0, 180 pounds, he is along the physical lines of what Coach Pat Narduzzi wants in his corners. Obviously, he is not going to see the field right away.

The next one came from Florida wide receiver Michael Smith. Another late riser in recruiting.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound wide receiver began seriously considering Pitt following an official visit to the school on December 9th.

Smith chose Pitt over offers from Notre Dame, Indiana, Georgia Tech, and Washington State, among others. Pitt offered Smith upon visiting his high school on December 3rd. The Panthers’ coaching staff stopped by Vero Beach (Fla.) High School, located nearly midway between Miami and Orlando, once again on December 7th. Smith’s weekend official visit to Pitt put the Panthers ahead and despite a late offer from Notre Dame and another official visit to Georgia Tech, no other school could overcome Pitt’s lead.

Smith is Pitt’s third wide receiver commitment in this class, joining Bethlehem (Pa.) legacy recruit Darian Street and fellow Florida native Dontavius Butler, who plays at Plantation (Fla.) American Heritage. Along with Butler, linebacker Albert Tucker, defensive back Damarri Mathis, defensive end Deslin Alexandre, and offensive tackle Jerry Drake Jr., Smith is Pitt’s sixth commitment from the state of Florida in the 2017 class.

For a long time, Smith was unranked by Rivals.com and had not yet been evaluated by a member of the network. That is largely, due to the fact that the big-bodied wide receiver posted only five catches for 100 yards and one touchdown through his first three seasons of high school. However, after a monster final year, Vero Beach’s best-kept secret earned three-star status.

As a senior, Smith exploded; he set single-season records in the Treasure Coast region with 24 receiving touchdowns and 1,561 receiving yards. Smith also recorded 67 receptions on the year. By some reports, Smith led the state of Florida in receiving touchdowns, although stats are not officially compiled by the state at this point in time.

He’s also a 3-star on 247, while Scout.com has him unranked/unevaluated and I don’t know that ESPN even has him in their database.

Then there was the third Pat Signal. But at this point, no recruit has come forward to claim the honor. That leaves speculation. Rampant, random, uninformed speculation.

Less than 2 weeks to Signing Day at this point. There will likely be maybe 2-3 more commits. By all metrics, it is shaping up to be another solid class. Again with the large amount, looking at redshirts.

Final note, terms of former OC Matt Canada’s deal with LSU have come out. He stands to make at least $1.5 million per year for 3 years. That makes him one of the highest paid assistants in the country. Between him and DC Dave Aranda, the Tigers are banking on their coordinators to make things happen on the field, while the head coach recruits and is colorful.

Pitt reportedly went up to $1 million, but there was no way they could or should have come close to what LSU gave him. LSU also paid Pitt $375,000 to buy out Canada.

another small note …. Pitt has thus far recruited 2 OL, Warren and Drake .. and ESPN has just raised them from 3-star to 4-star. Whatever, they appear to be pretty good prospects.

Canada is getting big bucks for one really good year. And while no doubt he did a great job, don’t be fooled that the success of our offense was all due to coaching. It starts with an OL that will very likely have 4 guys who will be playing in the NFL.

Comment by wbb 01.19.17 @ 11:22 am

Pitt signed NC games with UCF for 2018 and 2019

Comment by markp 01.19.17 @ 11:23 am

Good news on recruiting…That UCF game is a nice non-con game that will have us playing in Fla twice that year with a trip to South Bend for good measure.

Comment by HbgFrank 01.19.17 @ 1:29 pm

Very smart scheduling to get us playing in Florida .

Comment by Jackagain 01.19.17 @ 4:54 pm

Agreed Jackagain.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.19.17 @ 5:22 pm

I like playing games in FL. Recruits can see you, players like playing there as opposed to say…..exotic locations like Piscataway….and relocated Panther fans can watch our guys/gals play.
Win. Win, win.

Comment by SFPitt 01.19.17 @ 6:41 pm

Not to mention, behind PA, FLA has the second highest number of Pitt alumni, followed by CA. Hmmm, San Diego State would be a nice non-con!

Comment by HbgFrank 01.19.17 @ 6:49 pm

SFPitt … and after the UCF game in Orlando… I am going to Disneyworld!

Comment by BigB 01.19.17 @ 8:20 pm

FYI…… Pitt is reporting that Head Wrestling Coach Jason Peters has been dismissed of the #23 ranked Panthers.

Comment by Mtoolmn 01.19.17 @ 8:31 pm

A trip to Orlando may be nice, but it’s making the 2019 home schedule absolute garbage. Deleware, Ohio, & UCF. They already have psu & nd in 2018, then the Backyard Brawl returns in 2020, leaving 2019 in limbo outside of psu. Pitt doesn’t want to play 3 P5 teams in 18, so we’re beat in 19. Thanks nd, just join the conference already.

Comment by Nick 01.19.17 @ 9:49 pm

If ND joins the ACC, there is a chance that we would play them less … if they were placed in the other division, we would play them once every 7 years. But of course, if they were in the Coastal, we would play them every year.

The 2019 home schedule also includes Miami, UNC, UVa and BC. UVa with Mendenhall will probably be pretty good by then, but don’t know about BC.

Comment by wbb 01.20.17 @ 7:04 am

The home schedule always has 4 ACC teams & they’re always the same except the 1 crossover opponent every other year. They want better attendance & almost half the schedule is complete trash that no one wants to see.

Comment by Nick 01.20.17 @ 9:19 am

Oh I agree that 2019 schedule is not that attractive but what’s the excuse for many of the other years? I’m not saying that Pitt should sellout, or even come close, but when there are nearly 40k yellow seats after Pitt just beat the #2 team at their field … who cares about the schedule? Pitt fans will find any excuse possible not to attend … (and at times, I am just as guilty)

Comment by wbb 01.20.17 @ 9:35 am

Gee, I made the mistake of including Dokish’s twitter as part of my search for Pitt recruiting info., and forgot the inauguration was going on, so I wound up reading all his liberal, condescending, pompous remarks. And they wonder why they lost power…

OK… so how about some Recruiting news… anyone…?? Really hoping we can land a few quality front 7 players!

Comment by 1618mt 01.20.17 @ 12:41 pm

In theory, the home games could still generate a lot of excitement even if the schedule isn’t too hot. Even if we had no PSU or no other sexy non-con game…If we were undefeated and ranked, now suddenly every single home game is a big deal and people care a lot about the outcome. No matter the opponent.

Hmmm….now if only we could master that whole being undefeated and being ranked part…

Comment by VictoryLites 01.20.17 @ 12:53 pm

1618mt… but you don’t think “condescending” and “pompous” could describe Trump? Now that’s a funny perspective to have!

Comment by VictoryLites 01.20.17 @ 12:55 pm

VictoryLites – It applies to almost everyone at one time or another, especially politicians, including Obama, etc. The point is, when its the same old nagging spin all the time, and you’re just honestly looking for some good sports info., it’s just sad and disappointing. Hey, Hillary lost, get over it, get a life.

Comment by 1618mt 01.20.17 @ 1:01 pm

when are the throwbacks going to become the regulars?

link to pbs.twimg.com

Comment by wbb 01.20.17 @ 1:02 pm

wbb – wow, those are amazing! That’s one thing there seems to be a consensus on, the throwback are our best look, no doubt.

Comment by 1618mt 01.20.17 @ 1:07 pm

but 1618mt, but don’t you think by complaining, you’re as guilty as Dokish?

I read both Dokish and Vulockvan blogs frequently for Pitt news … both are on the opposite end of the political spectrum (go back and look at Vukocvan’s blog in Oct and Nov) … yet I never read complaints about him here.

Personally, I don’t care for political commentary from Dokish, Vukocvan or anyone on Pitt Blather either.

Comment by wbb 01.20.17 @ 1:08 pm

thank you wbb for Making the Blather Great Again by changing the subject.

Comment by VictoryLites 01.20.17 @ 1:09 pm

Politics and sports never mix.

Comment by Frank MD 01.20.17 @ 1:12 pm

I guess I didn’t … I’m sorry. But I think I stand for most by my comments @ 1:08.

If I wanted political commentary, I sure as hell wouldn’t turn to Pitt Blather

Comment by wbb 01.20.17 @ 1:12 pm

Wbb – No, I don’t think so, because I don’t dwell on it. I don’t even mind an occasional whining here and there, but when it’s unending, it ruins an otherwise readable source of sports news. Like Frank said anyway, the 2 don’t mix. I’m not sure what’s so hard to understand??

Comment by 1618mt 01.20.17 @ 1:16 pm

I do love those throwback bball uniforms though? You know when we are supposed to wear them?

Comment by VictoryLites 01.20.17 @ 1:17 pm

FB recruiting…

The mystery Pat Signal puts us at 22 recruits… I’m guessing that’s Jaylen Twyman based on Vuk’s clues but who knows.

I’d guess that recruit #23 is one of the Florida RB’s… either Kyshaun Bryan (more likely, good friends with Butler and Tucker) or AJ Davis.

In theory, that leaves two scholarships for the group of Kam Carter, Nathan Proctor, Zion Debose, TyJuan Garbut and Kofi Wardlow

Comment by Pitt89 01.20.17 @ 1:27 pm

1618mt, and just as much as you don’t want to read political commentary from Dokish, I don’t want to read it here.

This is my sanctuary.

Comment by wbb 01.20.17 @ 1:27 pm

Pitt89, we may have room for more than 25 … a few fifth year players may be moving on .. whether they want to or not.

Comment by wbb 01.20.17 @ 1:29 pm

wbb – oh, so you get it now?

pitt89 – recruiting stuff… thank you! And I’ve always been a ‘position of need guy’, so another rb is just icing on the cake, but I’d really love a few defensive linemen, DE’s and/or DT’s. PLUS a LB or two, hopefully… I do suspect that Narduzzi and his staff have a knack for finding good players. But in fairness to Chryst, he did a nice job in this area as well.

Comment by 1618mt 01.20.17 @ 1:40 pm

Very true wbb… However it is late in the game and most of these guys are current commits they are trying to flip so they may have trouble going over 25 even if they want to.

Piecing together various info out there, it sounds like we might be in good shape with Twyman, Bryan and Carter (Narduzzi recruited him at MSU). As wbb said they would definitely “find room” for Proctor and Garbutt.

With Conner declaring and injuries to Moss and Hall last year, it seems they are very actively trying to add another RB in addition to Sibley.

Clearly the focus of the remaining 3 (or more) scholarships is the DL.

Comment by Pitt89 01.20.17 @ 1:57 pm

wbb, your post struck a chord with me. I, too, am guilty of creating an occasional yellow seat. I have four season tickets, club no less, and rarely can I find folks who have any interest in going to a game with me. And, I have to admit it is tough sometimes to get motivated for a match up with a Wake Forest, Villanova and Akron. I know there are plenty of financial reasons why the ACC move was good for Pitt. And I know it beat the alternatives. BUT, us old timers sure to wish the Eastern conference would have worked out (Pitt, VT, MD. RUTG, TEMPLE, BC, Syracuse, PSU, Cin, Ucon). I know it a waste of energy typing that but, just like the lottery, sometimes I dream, what if………..

Comment by wally 01.20.17 @ 2:23 pm

wally, 2 things

1. I wrote this before but it’s true. I have a cousin and 3 good friends who are all Pitt alums, yet they wouldn’t hesitate to pay a good sum tobe at Heinz on Sunday, but rarely are there on Saturday. You may know a few yourself.

2. I truly believe that even if we had an all eastern conference, it wouldn’t have lasted. There simply is not enough interest in college football in the NE pro cities like Philly, Boston, NYC, Balt and Wash. And you know how bad Pgh is.

I have little doubt that the B10 would have gone after PSU, and waived its big TV contract to them. And then that would have started the mass exodus, just like what with happened with BE football.

Comment by wbb 01.20.17 @ 2:38 pm

Pitt is not the only school in a metropolitan area with attendance issues, as we know. There’s a lot to do in Pittsburgh, so if you don’t win or bring in a big name, attendance suffers. Pirate games were empty 5-6 years ago, then they started winning for a while, and attendance jumped. Even the Steelers, in down years (which are few) have issues. It’s a bit of a shame, because the atmosphere is better for families (college vs pro). I do think there’s untapped potential for the right leadership to capitalize on.

Comment by 1618mt 01.20.17 @ 2:51 pm

9 conference games would help and we would see teams like Clemson and Florida State every 3 to 4 years. If they wanted to they could say 9 conference game except when you play ND which would count as the 9th conference game.

If Fla. State and Clemson would come to Pitt more often it would help with attendance.

I am impressed however how this coaching staff pursues recruits. They are relentless and it pays dividends.

Comment by JP 01.20.17 @ 5:01 pm

Nard Dog is much better at recruiting than Chryst or Dixon ever was. It is a dirty business and you have to be aggressive. Pitt doesnt have the brand name that recruits fall in love with. Its often a difficult sell. But he’s selling them on something. I hope the whores dont break Pitt’s piggy bank. :)

Comment by TX Panther 01.20.17 @ 7:16 pm

1. Shut up on the political BS.I had enough of the pro players and their “statements” this year I cut them all off. 2.In a pro town, attendance is what you see unless the NFL goes on strike or Pitt starts stringing nice winning streaks and consistent rankings together. It would probably add another 20k if the stadium were on campus but that ship has sailed. Keep the hot recruits rolling in.H2P

Comment by Pitt60 01.20.17 @ 11:25 pm

Oakland couldn’t fit 20k more people on a random Tuesday. If they played there attendance would drop.

Comment by Nick 01.21.17 @ 1:54 am

I was at Pitt in the 90’s. People clamoring for an on campus stadium have a false sense of nostalgia. Parking, traffic, THAT hike up the hill … doesn’t bother kids on campus but a giant PIA for those not in Oakland. I’m not sure if you guys notice but Heinz is a huge draw for the recruits. The recruits absolutely love the idea of playing in Heinz and practicing with the Steelers on the South Side. Both Heinz and mingling with Steelers at the practice facility are two of the top attractions for perspective recruits. It’s not sold out because Pitt hasn’t earned it in a pro-town. USC, UCLA, Miami … they all struggle with attendance too when they don’t play like a top 10 team. Just the reality of a city school … and a smallish city at that.

Dokish and Vuk are both on opposite sides of the spectrum politically yet neither brings it up on their blogs … only their personal Twitter handles. I’ll never understand why people just can’t ignore other people’s opinions. Everyone has one. Who cares. Just move on. Unless it’s ignorant I’m not going to care what someone else believes or thinks. I’m comfortable enough in my own opinions and ignorances to give a shit about someone else’s.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.21.17 @ 10:38 am

It’s real simple. Pitt will NEVER return to being a National Football Powerhouse without an On Campus Stadium.

The problem is… we’re going to have to wait another DECADE before Pitt Admin comes to realize that fact.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.21.17 @ 10:59 am

Let’s hope the next A.D. has a little vision.

Some experience in Real Estate Development won’t hurt either.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.21.17 @ 11:01 am

Tossing, definitely true about the OCS we had being tough logistically and it was also poorly attended. But Heinz, which as a long time season ticket holder I can tell you that I find it to be an excellent venue for a football game, is a little bit of a double edged sword when it comes to home field advantage. (1) It is clearly not “our” stadium; and, (2) It is a premium NFL team’s stadium, which gives opposing teams a reason to get jacked up to play there.

Even after all these years, I miss being on the campus for game day. Fighting the Heinz traffic to get back there after a game is just too much after my already several hour commute to and from games. I realize that there will probably never be an OCS for Pitt. The Heinz game day experience is very good for me, but it will never match Pitt Stadium. Tearing that stadium down without an on campus replacement was a colossal mistake.

Comment by HbgFrank 01.21.17 @ 11:31 am

Heinz is posh for a ‘college’ stadium. Its actually a dump now compared to newer Pro Stadiums. There is no home field advantage playing in a rental stadium off campus. Opposing players get jacked playing in a pro stadium. Our players would get jacked playing in their own stadium with it being more intimate, fuller of character and no yellow seats. Heinz is just too big for Pitt’s needs.

Now land can be acquired. Pitt owns much of Oakland now and certain strategic pieces could be purchased over the next 5-10 years. Buildings can always be razed.

There are 15k parking spaces in Oakland alone now. And will everyone be driving to Oakland for the game. Some will bus it. Some will take shuttles (park n rides). Some will take the train…see the tracks by Carnegie and Frick going through the Hollow. And students can walk.

It can be done if the will exists. And raising money wouldnt be a problem with the right AD. Hell, RMU raised $50M overnight for their stadium. And Pitt can also float some very cheap bonds.

And it would NOT have to be OCS in the strictest terms. Think SMPC…Student Multi Purpose Center. It can be used 24/7, 365 days. It can be more than just a stadium catering to one program or one school. And Pitt could influence the design, look and feel. It would just be smaller and less posh than Heinz…like a college stadium should be. And on campus.

The ROI can be measured by the impact to Pitt’s brand. Alumni donations, student enrollment and applications. And then there are multiple revenue streams if the facility is used for more than 1 purpose for 1 program. Think other programs besides football, think business offices, classrooms, dorms, retail, etc. Think how the community could use it.

Need to think outside the box.

Never say never.

Pitt’s doing a feasibility study now. Well actually the engineering and architect firm that stands the most to benefit from such an undertaking.

Comment by TX Panther 01.21.17 @ 12:49 pm

I hate to disagree about the stadium but I agree with Tossing (once again….who is this guy???). I lived on Lytton Ave from 1980 to 1986. I loved living in the city but not on game day. Friends came out of the woodwork wanting to park in my driveway on gameday and there just wasn’t room for more than 3. I would park both of our cars on the street the night before to make room. Then there was the trek up the hill for the game. The seats were uncomfortable, the bathrooms were terrible, the food choices were bad and to add insult to injury there was no beer. Yes, we could have changed all that BUT I think Heinz is a great place for football. Parking is better, concessions are better, seating is better, the club is great. The glass is 3/4 full on Heinz Field guys. Our memories can be selective. Pitt Stadium was a lousy venue.

Comment by The Hagen 01.21.17 @ 12:50 pm

I’m just saying that Heinz is not the deterrent that some think it is. Recruits and players enjoy playing on a pro field. Never once have I heard a complaint from a current or former player about Heinz. There is another 15 years on the lease so in the next 5 years the fate of an OCS will have to be decided … but for the next 15 years Pitt will be playing in the same spot. City schools will always battle attendance issues. The only fix is winning consistently. Pittsburgh is a football smart town and you can’t be put a poser product on the field.

I 100% agree Pitt needs more of a presence at Heinz from a fan experience perspective. That was a major oversight by SP. Pitt should demand on the next renovation a bigger footprint.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.21.17 @ 2:21 pm

As far as the location and concept for an On Campus Stadium, Complit has been way out in front on this.

His proposal is to build a Multi-Purpose Stadium right where the Frick Fine Arts Building currently stands.

The site is ideal for more than one reason.

Complit has made the point how building the NEW Pitt Stadium in the shadow of the Cathedral of Learning would dramatically tie the Stadium to the SYMBOL of the University which would be in plain view for people in the stands.

I also see the location being ideal for a couple of other reasons.

Building the Stadium in such a visible spot would make a POWERFUL statement as to Pitt’s COMMITMENT to being a National Football Powerhouse.

The location would also prove ULTRA convenient for Students making it much more likely for them to attend Games.

However, the BIG dilemma… What to do with Frick Fine Arts?

My suggestion would be to simply educate the Student Body and Pitt Faculty and Administrators on the TRUTH about Henry Clay Frick… who he REALLY was and the role his BRUTAL exploitation of Workers played in the early days of the development of Pittsburgh’s Steel Industry.

Do that… and the rest will take care of itself.

Complit, hope you’re listening.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.21.17 @ 2:54 pm

Exactly, Tossing…for one Pitt should insist on an artificial surface which would then allow for Pitt colors and full size signage on the field (as well ACC logos that are actually on the field of play)!

Comment by HbgFrank 01.21.17 @ 2:54 pm

Whos to say that a new SMPC would be as lousy as old Pitt Stadium? We all know old Pitt Stadium was a dump since Pitt neglected it for years. But it was our dump. Thats an important distinction.

Comment by TX Panther 01.21.17 @ 3:06 pm

And do we really think a recruit is wowed by seeing 30k yellow seats???

Even in Pitt’s heyday, 50k was the most you’d see. Why are we playing in a stadium that holds 70k???

And although recruits or players dont complain about Heinz (despite being voted one of the worst playing fields in Pro football), fans do bitch about its corporate feel, staleness, and morgue like ambiance.

And visiting fans often ask, where is your campus. I would love to see it and walk it. I just tell them we’re the Stillers bitches and we’ve gotten used to bending over and taking it. We’re not a ‘real’ school anyway.

Comment by TX Panther 01.21.17 @ 3:11 pm

TX – most fans prefer Heinz. That’s another misconception. Attendence was an issue at Pitt Stadium too. Empty seats have always been used against Pitt. Playing in an NFL stadium trumps the seats issue. Winning is the only thing that cures empty seats. My observation on here is that most, not all, who complain about Heinz don’t attend many Pitt games if any at all. It’s nostalgia and wanting to be in Oakland again. Those that live in Pittsburgh or get back often prefer the convenience of Heinz … tailgating, parking, bars, no hills and ease of exiting. Oakland only offers bars and there are fewer than there used to be and very small at that. If they could make an OCS work, awesome. I’ll be on board. Heinz hasn’t not been a disaster though. As Hg mentioned, and I completely forgot, the turf issue is just very stubborn on the Steelers part. It’s not perfect. It’s better than Pitt Stadium tho and any new design will have a lot of challenges.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.21.17 @ 3:34 pm

I understand fans preferring a pro stadium over a college one. Most college ones have bleacher seating and lack the amenities. But even when Pitt was ‘winning’ it could only pack 50k in that shit hole of a Stadium…albeit our shit hole. So why play in a venue that is 40% larger than it should be for Pitt? I am not nostalgic. I want Pitt to have a home field advantage and to reap the revenue streams. I believe it can be done with the right leadership. That is why the choice of our next AD is very important. Again, a feasibility study is being conducted right now. Not because Pitt initiated the study, but because those with big pockets see the potential to make money on the construction. If we think of this as more than just an OCS. A chance to increase the power of Pitt’s brand and a chance to control revenue streams from being multi-purpose, it becomes very tantalizing. Because a facility wont be built unless it has a tangible return. But, My suggestion is to look at the intangibles for your answer.

Comment by TX Panther 01.21.17 @ 4:24 pm

Tx panther, you always make sense.

Comment by Goalie44 01.21.17 @ 5:39 pm

A multi-use stadium (maybe domed) would be a year round asset to Pitt and the city. College kids love concerts, game venues, etc. Also track and field, hockey, soccer, lacrosse will attract kids if only as a place of entertainment away from studies.

Comment by Frank MD 01.21.17 @ 6:59 pm

FrankMD, that (a renovation to Pitt stadium involving a dome) was on the table and it was shot down for costs and they could not add seats…as I said above, tearing down Pitt stadium was a colossal mistake to the point of being incompetent. A 50,000 seat domed stadium was the “homerun” answer for Pitt BB, FB, Track, gymnastics, the students, alumni, Oakland and the entire UofP community. Our leadership thought small and cheap instead of bold and confident. A real damn shame. For all of the good that Nordenberg did, and there was plenty, he was really short sighted and unqualified when it came to managing his multimillion dollar athletics program.

Comment by HbgFrank 01.21.17 @ 8:28 pm

Two loses in a row for the hoopies…

Comment by Jackagain 01.21.17 @ 8:32 pm

The update to Pitt stadium was $55 million, it included a dome and a gutting of the stadium and additions of luxury boxes. A big screw up but the biggest screw up was Bozik running off Jackie Sherrill and we all know what has happened since then.

Comment by WLAT 910 radio and the big beat! 01.21.17 @ 8:36 pm

@jack
And tcu I believe

Comment by Goalie44 01.22.17 @ 6:57 am

Pat Signal fired. JUCO DT, Kam Carter committed.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.22.17 @ 12:18 pm

former 4 star athlete from MD. Now hes 300 pounds. Dismissed from Nitter Nation last Spring for rules violations. Good pick-up despite the baggage. For all we know he reported a shower incident and they kicked him off the team for it.

Comment by TX Panther 01.22.17 @ 12:52 pm

I’m good with Heinz. We have an easy in & easy out parking lot with almost no wait at all. Plus it’s under the express way so rain won’t affects pre-game beer drinking.

We tailgate whenever there’s a late start and have the space to do so (all the new parking garages scare me)

I like the club seats. If it’s cold or hot I go inside for a couple of minutes and right back out.

The food and drinks are there (over priced) but hit the spot on a noon start.

There are plenty of places to hang out on a bad tailgate weather. Nice selection of bars near Heinz.

I don’t think much of this would be possible in Oakland. There is no easy way in or out of there on normal traffic days.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.22.17 @ 1:07 pm

TX -lol. You speak the truth.

Tony – exactly. Most alumni prefer Heinz for convenience. I much prefer a side visit to Oakland without the game traffic. Plus better bars and tailgating. Heinz does lack the Pitt experience, which was a huge oversight when the deal was cut. Pitt went cheap. They need an Uncle Sam’s concession for Pitt game days though.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.22.17 @ 1:32 pm

Any plans for a SMPC would address parking, transportation and traffic. Its not what is there now but what will be there in the future.

Heinz will need major renovations in 10-15 years. I’m a believer that the Steelers will want a retractable domed stadium by then. It makes for a better viewing experience. Pro teams need to compete against cozy sofas, climate controlled homes and 70 inch screen TV’s with live streaming info. The only thing a stadium gives you are the smells and loud/obnoxious fans sitting behind you. The sight and sounds are just as good or better on TV.

Any County outside the city would kill to have the Steelers break ground for their new stadium and afford them tax breaks and other goodwill items. And the Rooneys wont be around forever. There are multiple owners of the Steelers now and their ties to Pittsburgh are not nearly as strong.

I do believe domed stadiums are the future with the ability to be multi-purpose via moving seating in and out and easily re-configuring the layout.

The only way Pittsburgh gets a Super Bowl, BCS game, World Cup game or Final 4 is by building a new stadium…retractable dome.

But for now, lets enjoy the amenities of Heinz, the yellow seats and the crappy Pitt script at the 50. Enjoy the tailgating and relative ease of getting in and out. Continue to point out the Cathedral in the distance to visiting fans and tell them Oakland is our home…not the North Shore.

Comment by TX Panther 01.22.17 @ 1:45 pm

@tossing
How do you know most alumni prefer heinz? I have never been asked. Mark me down for a no.

Comment by Goalie44 01.22.17 @ 2:53 pm

Everyone knows an on campus stadium is better, but until there’s a viable option, this is just another boring, wasted topic to complain about. Move on.

And welcome Kam, position of need!

Comment by 1618mt 01.22.17 @ 2:54 pm

I agree the discussion is not time worthy, but all of the points made come from an alumni perspective. Poll the students, of which many of us were at one time, and see what they think about it. Whether we prefer Heinz or not, they got screwed.

Comment by wally 01.22.17 @ 3:22 pm

Its a tangent just like when a beautiful girl walks by.

We’ll be talking more about this girl come Fall. For now, its fun to fantasize.

Comment by TX Panther 01.22.17 @ 4:03 pm

Screw the students. Who cares about them? In 4 years they become alumni. Well, maybe half of them.

Comment by rayhpgh 01.23.17 @ 7:58 am

Heinz just lost more of its luster.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.23.17 @ 9:07 am

I used to walk the hill to games Now I’m 50 years older and Heinz Field has more for me enjoy. Parking seats with backs ( unlike ND and PSU ) comfort of easy walking easy departure If you feel the need to fill the seats have administration give whole lots of tickets to high schools in western Pa The kids would have great experience and Pitt gets exposure to possible future players and students. Win win situation. Those of you who don’t like yellow seats empty all programs are facing these issues Except the few on top Tv revenues make games 3 1/2 hours long some approaching 4hours. Top games moved to 8 o’clock pm starts. Game over at 11:30. Drive 3 hours home after long day. It’s tough. You miss the campus take a Friday before the game to visit. Just my thoughts. H2P

Comment by Friends of Pitt 01.23.17 @ 12:19 pm

Goalie – I speak from experience. Going to both stadiums past and present and talking to other people. Definitely not all alumni feel that way. I made sure to state that in an earlier post. Heinz provides a convenience that Oakland doesn’t. I’m not adamant against an OCS. I’d love it too. I’m only implying that Heinz is not the disaster some think it is … including for the students. They got screwed but it’s been almost 4 generations of students that never experienced it now … they don’t know what they’re missing.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.23.17 @ 3:34 pm

ok but you are speculating with that statement, but i do agree with you that it is not a disaster.

Comment by goalie44 01.23.17 @ 4:30 pm

Goalie – yeah – that’s all I was implying. I wasn’t campaigning against an on campus stadium. Some make Heinz out to be this terrible thing though yet the players and recruits love it. The coaches seem to like it and it has a convenient factor Oakland doesn’t have. If they can make something work on campus, awesome. I have my doubts but I’ll support it.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.23.17 @ 4:36 pm

i wouldn’t even mind off campus, but ours, and more intimate.

Comment by goalie44 01.23.17 @ 4:43 pm

This is probably a minority opinion but I don’t care where the game is played. Pitt Stadium, Heinz Field, the Wolverina in Turtle Creek, I don’t care . I’ll be in my seat when the drum line marches out on the field for the pregame performance.

When Pitt Stadium was home we bitched about attendance and blamed it on lousy parking, lack of easy access, bleacher seating, crappy restrooms, no concessions and on and on and on. And the committed fans showed up.

Now at Heinz, where we have relatively easy access, adequate parking, comfortable seating, ample restrooms and concessions, we bitch about attendance and blame lack of atmosphere, the on-field logo, distance from campus and on and on and on. And the committed fans still show up.

The basic problem is that there are not enough die hard fans to fill a big time stadium week in and week out.

Winning will make a difference. Consistently winning year in and year out for a decade or two could make a big difference. I hope that is in the cards but past history says otherwise.

And by the way, I’m an alum and I watched many games in Pitt Stadium from 67 on and I’ve had season tix at Heinz since it opened. I loved the old dump on cardiac hill. I have a piece of Pitt Stadium turf mounted and hanging on the wall in my bedroom. But I’m fine with Heinz.

Comment by dinosaur 71 01.23.17 @ 4:55 pm

@dinosaur,

is it difficult to water?

Comment by goalie44 01.23.17 @ 5:38 pm

Dinosaur

I’ll agree with you about one thing, there isn’t enough die hards to fill the stadium and unfortunately Pittsburgh is a bandwagon sports town, so hopefully we start winning and get some seats filled

Comment by Keith 01.23.17 @ 7:12 pm

goalie – no but mowing it is a challenge.

Comment by Dinosaur 71 01.23.17 @ 8:18 pm

Green Bay is out of the playoffs so if their is anything to the Alex VanPelt rumors for OC that should resolve itself quickly.H2P

Comment by Pitt60 01.23.17 @ 10:02 pm

The OCS debate again. What’s the one thing you can’t deny about renting a stadium that seats 68,000 when you only need 40 to 45,000 seats In the first place?

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.24.17 @ 8:45 am

Reportedly, Roethlisberger thinking about possible retirement.

If it comes to be, Pitt could soon find itself no longer being the only Football Team playing before EMPTY Yellow Seats at Heinz.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.24.17 @ 1:25 pm