August 14, 2014

First Scrimmage Question Marks

Filed under: Coaches,Football,Players — Reed @ 4:49 pm

I’m driving up to the camp’s first scrimmage on Saturday morning and here are the issues I’ll be paying close attention to while I’m there:

How consistent are Running Backs Qadree Ollison and James? Because we probably won’t play both freshmen, which one will be redshirted?  More importantly, where in hell is the “U” in Ollison’s first name?

How many reps does Conner get at Defensive End?  Chris Peak is reporting that Conner has been getting snaps on defense in the two minute drills.

How will Voytik respond with full time pressure from the defense? (I hope the scrimmage is full contact to get him ready for reality.)  How much protection is he getting?

How is Isaac Bennett coming along from his injury?  In the last practice I attended he was getting his share of reps.  Also, how many snaps does Ibrahim get?  I think Bennett’s becoming an afterthought in our fan’s minds but he’ll most probably be in the top three RBs.

Who will be our top three RBs going into the opening game against the Delaware Blue Hens?  Will one kid separate from the others?

How well is Offensive Line doing in their run blocking?  The young RBs are breaking some big rushing plays in practice so it has been pretty good so far.  Do they have the speed as some of our past RBs?

How are all the DE’s competing and who will be rotating in there on the two-deep, who gets dizzy and who doesn’t?

How are Caprara & Bradley positioning themselves for that MLB spot behind Galambos? Are they tough enough for that position?

Are the DBs playing more aggressively now?  Are they giving up big plays if they miss an INT or breaking up a pass?

How is our new punter Ryan Winslow doing with his directional punts and hang time?  Along with that, who are the personnel on our punt coverage team and how effective are they?

Those are the main issues for me.  Let me know in the comments section if there is anything you’d specifically like me to address and I’ll try to remember to do it.

Going to be all kinds of hand-wringing and lamentation because our team just demonstrated it is awful. We all know that our defense is very weak. And since our offense couldn’t do anything vs a bad defense our offense must also be very bad. This means we are obviously heading for a disaster this season. Might as well give those season tickets away.

Comment by pitt1972 08.16.14 @ 5:25 pm

Defense wins!

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.16.14 @ 5:27 pm

BTW, Pitt1972, in 1972 we won one game. Enough said.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.16.14 @ 5:30 pm

I was being sarcastic.

Comment by pitt1972 08.16.14 @ 5:56 pm

according to DiPaolo, D Render did his best A Donald impression and really played well at DT. Avonte Maddox continued to impress with 2 open field tackles of Conner, who switched jerseys a few times, playing both ways. R Mitchell also impressed at DB

I’m sure Reed will have many more specifics

Comment by wbb 08.16.14 @ 6:04 pm

You keep your sarcasm well hidden, good job!

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.16.14 @ 6:12 pm

Dr. Tom–Actually, I am very encouraged by the apparent excellent defensive showing today. Like you, I believe a good defense will go a long way to ensuring success. I think we can be confidant the offense is going to be quite good. So, if we also have a good defense, we may be able to win more than the 7-8 games most expect.

Comment by pitt1972 08.16.14 @ 6:16 pm

Cardiac Hill take on today’s scrimmage

link to cardiachill.com

Waiting for the definitive word from the Blather’s intrepid reporter – Reed.

Comment by PITT-cocks fan 08.16.14 @ 6:41 pm

There has been a lot of optimism here…certainly on reeds request for.predictions….9-3, etc. Would love to share that feeling. However 12-27 won’t get us there. Yes it is one scrimmage. But 12-27 is entirely consistent with all reports of voytik’s performance and displayed capabilities in spring practice and now the summer. People seem to expect him to click after a couple of games. I sure hope he does. But right now that seems like more wishful thinking than based on what we have seen from him since the bowl games.

Comment by DD 08.17.14 @ 7:25 am

From newspaper accounts, a pretty ragged scrimmage, IMHO. Lots of experimentation and mental errors. Will be very interested in seeing Reed’s account later today.

Comment by pitt1972 08.17.14 @ 7:33 am

Blewitt missed 4 of 8 FG attempts including at least 2 inside 40 yds. As he was 14 of 18 last year this was either just an off day or his holder and he haven’t gotten their coordination down. I wonder if he has a different holder than last year?

Comment by pitt1972 08.17.14 @ 8:08 am