April 30, 2014

Even though Derrick Randall didn’t contribute an overwhelming amount during the conference portion of the season, I did expect that Randall would be a nice cog for 2014-15. If, for no other reason, the lack of experienced depth in the frontcourt. Especially as far as true centers go. The Rutgers transfer had noticeably slimmed down and gotten into very good shape by the end of the year.

That was before he got arrested.

Derrick Randall, one of the former Rutgers basketball players suing the school and former coach Mike Rice, was arrested and charged after a motor vehicle stop early Tuesday morning at Rutgers with driving while intoxicated, use of a controlled dangerous substance and possession of a controlled dangerous substance, Rutgers University Police said.

According to university police, the incident happened at 2:45 a.m. on Avenue E on the Livingston campus — not far from the Louis Brown Athletic Center. Randall recently completed his junior season at the University of Pittsburgh, where he transferred following Rice’s firing after videos surfaced showing the coach mistreating players.

Randall didn’t waste any time after the semester at Pitt ended to go home and visit some old haunts. That didn’t work out so well. There is no information on what the “controlled dangerous substance” was. I assume marijuana, but then I always assume marijuana.

Randall has, of course, been immediately and indefinitely suspended from the Pitt basketball team.

“The incident involving Derrick Randall this morning is not only surprising but incredibly disappointing,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said in a statement released by the university. “Although I believe it was out of character for Derrick, he has been indefinitely suspended.”

As Pitt News writer, Dan Sostek, noted this is standard boilerplate language when a player gets in trouble. Really, there isn’t much that Coach Dixon can say beyond that when the initial news breaks. And an indefinite suspension is the standard response when still figuring out what to do.

That leads to the question of whether Coach Dixon uses this as a reason to jettison Randall. Pitt is already one over its scholarship limit, but is actively pursuing other players — such as USC graduate transfer Byron Wesley (who visits on May 16).

The speculation has been on Joseph Uchebo being declared medically unable to play; and/or Shaquille Doorson not getting academic eligibility. Those scenarios may still play out that way. Randall, however, may have added himself to the chopping block.

This is exactly the sort of incident that coaches have often taken advantage of to clear a scholarship. They get to give the appearance of caring about the integrity of the team and school, while opening up a scholarship.

Stars get forgiven for this type of behavior, marginal players, not so much. Really too bad, kid was in a position to play this year, wonder who he will sue now.

The DA cleared Franklin while he was a Vandy Coach, no reason to protect him anymore, this may get interesting.

Comment by gc 04.30.14 @ 7:33 am

PSU pays millions to an image consultant, needs to change their culture, then pays millions to two guys involved in rape investigations. Ironic or in your face? Tone deaf or intentional? Hard to believe in any case.

Comment by gc 04.30.14 @ 8:02 am

There was also a 19 year old in the car with Randall, so he supplied alcohol to a minor.

I’d say he is history.

Comment by gc 04.30.14 @ 8:09 am

@gc, I am not a fan of players sueing coaches and schools but Randall’s case appears to have merit and I couldn’t help but sympathize to some degree.
Beyond that he needs to go. This is a classic case of reaching to fill voids created by Adams/Birch. We reached ,it didn’t work and instead of helping stem the flow of blood, it infected the wound.

What is of further concern is the news that Dohrson might not qualify. It looks like Mike Young is going to get stuck playing the 5, unless our other stop gap move ,Haughton is the greatest JC transfer in school history. We need to pluck a legit big man out of our ass somehow.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 9:10 am

We need a big man but we are recruiting more swingmen. Not sure what is going on. Dohrson wasn’t going to play anyway, maybe best if he goes to a prep school, as long as he comes next year.

How is Uchebo’s knee coming along?

Comment by gc 04.30.14 @ 9:25 am

@gc, Although Dohrson wasn’t going to play next year it still continues the problem into the future. We need an influx of talent at the 5 yesterday. I don’t see any of the options now in the picture being a legit answer other than a healthy Young getting stuck there. It is so bad that Jamie might have to give Randall another chance. Remember last year when Zeigler sat out 2 games for his DUI. Here we go again.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 9:33 am

It’s what I always tell the young people. Just because someone has a great position or title does not make them Gods or genius’.

Many on here said it, on the radio’s on the blogs.

I told this to my PSU nephews and nieces, who are 25-35 yrs old,

“need to stay away from him, even if he had absolutely nothing to do with it”

“it may not be fair, but sometimes, things aren’t fair”.

So, there they are, big wigs, big jobs, big titles, big money, and they went and hired the guy leaving a school with a rape case coming from the football team that he was the head coach of anyways.

I know what they were thinking. We’re above this, we’re smarter than you, we’re part of the intelligentsia. No, you’re just men and women with jobs. That’s all.

Now, here it is. May be nothing. But, what it is…….is in the news, again!!!

And it probably will be again this summer, and next fall, and probably for the next couple of years.

Same reason Pitt couldn’t hire Bradley. Would have loved to have him. Good DC, great recruiter in the Mid-Atlantic. Even if he didn’t know much, couldn’t hire him. That simple. Not coming from what Pitt had just gone through. We needed stability, and no more bad news stories.

Comment by Dan 04.30.14 @ 9:37 am

Doorson

It’s incredible how Pitt is unable to get or keep big men. In the last few years:

Birch and Gilbert – transfer
Adams – NBA
Doorson – grades?
Uchebo – health?
Randall – DUI

And we lost out on a few who were allegedly serious about coming in … Anye, Delarosa, Jamison, to name a few

Comment by wbb 04.30.14 @ 9:56 am

@wbb, I agree with your statement 100% but it is premature to write off the last 3 yet. Doorsen might still be coming , Uchebo could get a leg transplant, and Randall is a college kid that got caught driving while smoking pot and drinking. Stupid but forgivable the first time.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 10:15 am

PSU reminds me of a scene in Goodfellas, they really needed a Jimmy Conway up there.

Jimmy and Paulie (Sorvino) go to Henry Hill’s (Liotta) apartment to confront him about his wife Karen going nuts over him cheating on her.

Jimmy “I can’t have this, can’t have it. Karen’s coming over to the house commiserating with my wife. Look, we all know what this is, but can’t have it, can’t have it, look at me, can’t have it”

Comment by Dan 04.30.14 @ 10:27 am

Comment by Pitt Dad 04.30.14 @ 10:27 am

Jimmy being DeNiro of course.

Comment by Dan 04.30.14 @ 10:27 am

Alleged rapist and Heisman Trophy winner arrested for shoplifting crablegs at a grocery store. Outstanding!

Comment by gc 04.30.14 @ 10:31 am

Ok, hoops. Randall, eh, see ya later. Move on.

I don’t like taking too many players, then having to shut the door on a couple. It doesn’t sit well with me.

However, I’m sure there are some schools out there out of 351 D1 schools, that have taken the moral high ground, and done things exactly the way they should be done. I don’t think any of them are in the top 50 though.

Should we take a stand?? Eh, in the world of college athletics, and the cesspool that it is, I don’t think Dixon plays many games. If he has to jockey some players sometimes, that really is too bad for them, but they will go elsewhere and play.

Compared to a lot of places, Dixon seems to have a pretty clean record.

Besides, it’s not against the rules.

Doesn’t make it right, but then, change the rules.

Comment by Dan 04.30.14 @ 10:35 am

link to blackshoediaries.com

Penn State fans in full defense mode. Check comments.

Comment by Dan 04.30.14 @ 10:43 am

Young played some at the “5″ this year, and it worked out well. When our more athletic guys beat bigger defenders, we sometimes force other teams to play small as well.

Comment by Howard 04.30.14 @ 10:43 am

Pitt Dad, what I find more fascinating than the fact Slice hasn’t been formally introduced was the biography of the guy who wrote column. It is often hard for me to comprehend the culture in many areas below the Mason Dixon line.

Comment by wbb 04.30.14 @ 10:44 am

I think PSU was a little desperate to hire as Golden turned them down and who knows who else. Now they have to defend Franklin.

Hope FB recruiting gets moving soon.

Comment by Frank MD 04.30.14 @ 11:10 am

@wbb – If he’s not an employee of the University, is he even allowed to go on recruiting trips? And if he is an employee, why the hang-up in making a formal announcement?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Comment by Pitt Dad 04.30.14 @ 11:21 am

wbb- Don’t get it, what’s wrong with the bio of True? Am I missing something?

Would be disappointed if Young had to play the 5, he’s not a true Center. Then again, Zanna wasn’t a Center and look how he developed. Amazing the way some of the bigs (Gray, Zanna, McGhee) have developed over the years. Not sure Dixon has a choice right now, assuming DR is gone, other than to rotate Young in to split time with Haughton. Of course, we still don’t officially know the status of Doorson, in the event he could contribute a few minutes a gaem.

Comment by 1618mt 04.30.14 @ 11:35 am

1618mt, he is writing a sports column, I would expect the bio to list how long he has been doing sports articles and who he has worked with in the past, and maybe if he is a former athlete etc.

His religion is totally irrelevant to this particular blog …. yet, I guess being a Christian is relevant to Kentucky fans.

Does it matter to you what religion Chas is … or for that matter, if he is an atheist?

Comment by wbb 04.30.14 @ 11:41 am

What? Chas is an atheist? Jesus Christ when did that happen?

Comment by Marcus of schaumburg 04.30.14 @ 11:50 am

wbb- You have to get your start/sports background somewhere, so that’s where he started. I see you’re real issue coming out, that he lists being a committed Christian. Sounds like the guy is involved in a campus club and that’s part of who he is, along with the majors he listed. What the heck is the big deal? Grow up.

Comment by 1618mt 04.30.14 @ 11:52 am

I hope that Randall gets his act together, for his own good. I hope he learns form his mistakes.

I have been rooting for him since the transfer, and I will continue to.

If there is something good about this, it is that it did not happen in October. Maybe he can get this resolved and rejoin the team (and classroom) by the fall.

Comment by xfmrman 04.30.14 @ 12:16 pm

I agree, I hope Randall gets his act together, it sounds like he’s been through a lot. From a pure BB aspect, he obviously would not be a big loss even though we’re so thin at Center, but more importantly, I hope he can get it together and succeed/overcome.

Comment by 1618mt 04.30.14 @ 12:21 pm

1618mt, you didn’t answer my question. Do you care what religion Chas is … and is that ever a factor for you when you read a sports column?

And if you re-read my 10:44 posting, you will see that all I commented on was the difference in culture between different locatioons AND DIDN’T EVEN MENTION RELIGION.

Comment by wbb 04.30.14 @ 12:45 pm

wbb- yes, I read it, and your implications were pretty clear. I am here to discuss or (mostly) read about Pitt sports. If a blog writer for the Blather stated his/her religion as part of their bio, and it was a different religion than mine and did not affect the blog, I would still read the blog, and I wouldn’t single them out (good or bad) for their choice of religion.

Comment by 1618mt 04.30.14 @ 12:54 pm

Exactly my point!

Comment by wbb 04.30.14 @ 12:56 pm

Sounds like it’s both our points. Glad we agree. H2P.

Comment by 1618mt 04.30.14 @ 1:17 pm

OK Marcus. That was pretty freaking funny.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 04.30.14 @ 1:19 pm

While we are discussing religion as a Pitt fan I know there is a God because I saw Tony D run for 303 against the Irish. I saw LaVance sink the 3 in the garden against Duke and some day he is going to let me see our basketball team win a National Championship like the 76 football team did.HTP

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 1:41 pm

While I’ll never root for anything Pedo St, I could never work up a real hatred for Bill O’Brien. Probably because he told Paterno loyalists where they could go.

On the other hand, it took about 12 seconds into his introductory presser to absolutely loathe James Franklin. I think this guy is a scumbag and I don’t doubt the validity of this story one bit.

Whether it was arrogance or insanity, or a combination, for Pedo St to hire a man who was the head coach of a team that had a rape scandal, well they deserve any negative fallout that comes with it.

It will be interesting to see how much attention this story gets from the local media. I thought it was absolutely absurd how much positive coverage this jerk’s hiring got.

Hail to Pitt!!!!

Comment by Pap76 04.30.14 @ 2:06 pm

Sadly, no fallout will accompany it. It won’t affect recruiting for them one bit. And Franklin will remain their coach unless some clear evidence comes out that he tried to cover the rape up.

I hate that this is the way college athletics operates, but winning is all that matters. PSU plays the game to win. Pitt doesn’t. I love that Dixon and Chryst seem to be clean guys. Thrilled that Dixon is as good of a coach as he is for how clean he is. But, sadly, this is why Pitt will struggle to be nationally relevant, particularly in football; because we aren’t a “win at all costs” program. It will always be the dirty, corrupt programs that rise to the top.

For the record, not advocating for Pitt to play dirty as well. Just lamenting that this is the way college sports is.

Comment by kanyon40 04.30.14 @ 2:44 pm

There is a refernce on CBS Sports to an article written back when Franklin was hired, chastising PSU for the hire due to the rape implications .. and that it is was reaaly necessary to hire soeone with a clean slate.

I personnally thought that hiring a guy for $4.75M per while the sanctions were still fresh and in effect was just announcing to the world that it was just back to business as normal.

Comment by wbb 04.30.14 @ 3:15 pm

@ Kanyon, Big time college sports is a dirty business and always has been. Sports in general tends to attract competitive types , and that often leads to those who are willing to bend the rules. It happens in womens ice skating so there is no surprise when it happens in more aggressive venues.

I think even Pitt fans are a little surprised at the depths that Penn St was willing to slink, attempting to preserve the status quo in football. Rather than decide to go forward in a squeaky clean way, they have chosen to ride the edge in hopes remaining nationally viable. I don’t think that makes them dirty but it doesn’t make a statement that they learned anything from the shame that they brought under the sanctioned groups leadership either.

I liken it a lot to raising kids, no matter what they do you still love them. It’s just so much easier if you know they learned a lesson from bad mistakes they made. I think it is going to be real hard to love Penn State based on how they have decided to move forward, but I would advise against describing our programs as clean or less corrupt. They are what they are and they can live with it. Where is the satisfaction of having done so much harm to accomplish something so unimportant. They have more national championships in football, and more children who have been abused because of it. We cured polio, and helped kids everywhere and fielded some real good teams too. Who has more to be proud of. They aren’t even in the same league.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 3:34 pm

James Winston cited for shop lifting. Awesome human being.

Comment by notrocketscience 04.30.14 @ 4:14 pm

If Franklin is found to have broken recruiting rules, he gets off and Vandi pays through sanctions. Total BS.

Comment by notrocketscience 04.30.14 @ 4:17 pm

@notrocketscience, He stole crab legs. You can’t blame a man who doesn’t have enough to eat for stealing food. It isn’t like he grabbed a couple lobster tails.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 4:21 pm

and crawfish, spirit, crawfish. A felony at least in LA.

Comment by steve1 04.30.14 @ 4:37 pm

notrocketscience, methinks it just might hurt PSU recruiting.

Simply add insult (Franklin) to injury (Joepa)

Comment by steve1 04.30.14 @ 4:49 pm

The big story of the week has to get some play here. Billionaire owner tells his mixed raced, girlfriend/ paid for escort,that he doesn’t like her posing for pictures with the black guys. The crap hits the fan and the billionaire gets fined 2.5 million and told he isn’t welcome in the NBA for the rest of his life.

Now I don’t consider myself a racist but I am not all that offended by his position since he was obviously paying for the companionship , maybe he didn’t want the brothers tapping his stuff. Now that it is 2014 are we all just supposed to suddenly intermingle as if it’s the only way to fly. I prefer to swap fluids within my own race, but don’t really care what anyone else does. Does that make me a bigot?

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 5:10 pm

spirit, Sterling has long been a bigot.

Please read:
link to nytimes.com

Comment by steve1 04.30.14 @ 5:21 pm

Steve, I am not defending him and you are right he has been a jerk his whole life, a very rich one. Even the NAACP was willing to embrace him however until this happened.

What I am specifically asking is since I have a preference for not crossing racial lines sexually and prefer to co mingle with those who don’t either, does that make me a racist by todays definition. I think that is what they are saying he is guilty of here. Again I don’t give a rats butt what anyone else chooses to do. Am I now outside of what is consider acceptable behavior? Forgive my ignorance, my question is sincere.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 5:33 pm

@steve1, don’t worry about crap like that, you have the Rangers v Flyers to worry about tonight!!!

Comment by Dan 04.30.14 @ 5:41 pm

spirit, please behave however you want…as long as you don’t practice housing discrimination and don’t otherwise break the law.

oh, and steal crawfish.

Comment by steve1 04.30.14 @ 5:42 pm

I see where Franklin denies having had conversation with the co-ed. Some one isn’t telling the truth here.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 5:44 pm

You are dead right, Dan. I’m taping up as we speak. And it’s raining too hard to take the dog out for his last p pregame.

Bad omen.

Comment by steve1 04.30.14 @ 5:44 pm

We are all the same water all the same blood, all the same spirit all the same mud.

So how come I have a vertical jump of about three quarters of an inch.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 5:49 pm

Rangers suck at face offs.

Comment by steve1 04.30.14 @ 6:25 pm

Spirit – love your rants tonight. Great stuff.

This guy Franklin is so dirty that there is no doubt in my mind PSU Alums and Happy Valley have paid the Vandy folk to stay quiet. But like all things “scandle” his foibles are starting to leak out.

Cannot wait for the real bombshell to hit!

Comment by Dan 72 04.30.14 @ 7:02 pm

@dan 72, This isn’t like Watergate. I don’t think there is going to be some great investigation uncovering the facts. That doesn’t change the fact that PSU has made a choice to hire and endorse a path that has some question marks. That is a long way from what seemed called for when the crap hit the Paterno Statue. I think the real bombshell is the fact that they didn’t learn their lesson and are willing to slide bye living on the edge. I would have more respect for them if they lost every game but did everything unquestionably right. It is funny because Joe used to have this holier than thou attitude and now they are the bad guys. I think I would trade a pinky finger to see us beat them come 16.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 7:19 pm

On to the Pens

Comment by steve1 04.30.14 @ 8:44 pm

As I wrote in other thread yesterday… this is just the beginning with Franklin and Vandy rape case.

… if this were the only facts it blows over… but 4 peoples’ lives are on the line in a trial coming in the Fall… so there will be intense effort by everyone …

…including the victim concerning the subsequent civil law suits against Vandy…

… to dig up any and everything. As is usually the case, much dirt left to discover and it will probably start around NCAA rules violates of getting pretty college girls to be escorts/prostitutes for the football team.

Then will move on to all of the text messages and communications between all of the parties and the coaching staff… which to date have been erases from phones … but people can get from the phone companies.

Franklin’s comments about good coach = having a ‘hot’ wife, shows this main views women as property and objects at the disposition of the Alpha Male… if that really is this guys mentality then more is coming.

Add on FSU and the fact the Winston case is not going away and sooner or later the media is going to start the ‘why did PSU go this route” story line.

May not be fatal but will not be good for them.

Culture change?…. not.

Comment by Pittscript 04.30.14 @ 8:55 pm

someone made a good point above as well… While Franklin is at Vandy then all of the players protect him because they protect Vandy…

… now is gone and Vandy still in cross hair of civil suit by victim for the $$ after criminal case is done.

So now everyone… defense, and Vandy… will have reason to dig up stuff implicating Franklin (so Vandy can say he was the bad guy not the institution)…

… and now no one, DA, police, etc. have any interest in protecting Franklin… just the opposite… he is the guy to throw under the bus.

bump…bump…

Comment by Pittscript 04.30.14 @ 8:59 pm

Jamie doesn’t put up with crap and he doesn’t do sleaze in any way – thank God.

Now that Franklin’s integrity has been questioned and State fans are going to erect another tribute to Joe Pa, is anyone else content with playing the 4 scheduled games against the Nitters and allowing the series to die?

Comment by TonyinHouston 04.30.14 @ 10:15 pm

Here we go…. and the trial is not even until August,… ah, the first trial… because then there will be the lawsuits etc…

note very last sentence in the article by a defense attorney.

link to triblive.com

Comment by Pittscript 04.30.14 @ 10:38 pm

@ Tony

I’m probably in the minority, but I wouldn’t care one iota if we just cancelled the upcoming 4 games with Pedo State.

Much as I enjoyed to play them back in the day. It’s never going to be like that again, last game of the year, always close to Thanksgiving and a bitter blood fued.

I say fook em, who wants our good name associated with that vile institution of corruption, pedophilia and overt hypocrisy.

Comment by Emel 04.30.14 @ 11:42 pm

Starkey makes a really good point. Ped State should have stayed miles away from feanklin.

Now for those of you that say this won’t affect recruiting, I disagree. I don’t think it will have a giant, immediately measurable impact like the Sandusky scandal, but I do think it gives other, by-the-rules coaches another lever with certain types of kids. There are kids out there and most certainly parents that are absolutely turned off or at least somewhat repelled by character isssues (real or perceived – and in this case I’m going to go out on a limb and say Franklin has some real character issues). Again, is this going to lead to a wholesale exodus of recruits? Probably not. Could it be enough to push a good kid who is deciding between Pitt and Penn State our way? Quite possibly.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 05.01.14 @ 5:32 am

If nothing else, I would love to see Franklin get subpoenad in late August or early Septemeber

Comment by wbb 05.01.14 @ 6:04 am

@wbb, lmao, ya that timing sounds just about right.

@Steve1, hey good for you, now we can have some banter back and forth for the next few weeks!!

@Pittscript, ya, when people and jail time are on the line, the loyalty goes out the door. If there is more, the canary’s will sing. I guess Starkey spoke to the one lawyer. He said they haven’t been able to get the phone records yet, although they are going too, and haven’t been able to talk to Franklin yet either.

Comment by Dan 05.01.14 @ 9:19 am

What is happening with the criminal trials vs Curley, Spanier et al. I know they have been paying off all the victims to keep them quiet. How much more of a whitewash job is being done?

Franklin’s involvement at Vandy will get more media coverage.

The guy from FSU is probably clean. The cops and the DA’s office did all the dirty work for the University in that case. But again with all of the potential candidates for that huge job, you have to pick one from a School with a sex scandal.

Another school where football trumps everything else. I thought PSU was trying to change their culture.

Obviously, not so much.

I hope Pitt’s desire to win with character guys, true student athletes is real and we stay true to it. Kids like Randall will make stupid mistakes, there will be other Jovani Chappels. But hopefully the majority will be like Donald, Patterson, and Zanna, guys that work hard, get their degrees and make us proud. Guys like Cameron Wright who win awards for hard work in the classroom.

Less swagger more class.

Comment by gc 05.01.14 @ 9:21 am

Being mature, for one moment, one moment only. Pushing any Pitt/Penn State stuff aside.

What a frickin’ stupid move. I’m not defending Penn State fans, most still live in a bubble, however, I know several PSU people who were against this hire also.

Have a good guy in my office, a Penn Stater, he’s been telling me for two days, “told you so, told ya, should have never been hired”

Some of them do get it.

Hell, it’s not rocket science.

Let’s see, “we just had the biggest college football scandal, involving child molestation”,

“ok, let’s hire a guy who is coming from a place that is involved in a rape scandal”

Friggin’ morons.

Doesn’t matter if he would be 100% innocent of any wrong doing.

You can’t do it. You just can’t.

The ivory tower blinds.

Comment by Dan 05.01.14 @ 9:26 am

Seems to be that the ppl in charge in Creepy Valley can’t be this stupid. Both Charlatan & the FSU president, come on !

There is something else going on here.

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 9:33 am

As far as Randall, I thought he was a goner anyway or should be.

8.6 minutes per game
2.1 ppg
2.4 rpg
0.4 bpg (blocks)
45% FT

In conference games and postseason (27 games) he scored a grand total of 35 pts. or 1.3 ppg

Hauled in 31 rebounds(7 of those were in the tourney blowout of WF) or 1.1 rpg

Thinking we can find just about anyone to put up those kind of numbers. Guy has no hops at all and gets up very slowly.

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 9:43 am

@Emel, it does, doesn’t it?? It really boggles the mind.

Even if he’s innocent, this is what they are getting. What’s happening right now. All over the papers, the radios, the blogs. And, it’s gonna keep going for several years.

It will go away for a few months, then some new evidence, or new court date, or new trial date will pop up, and this is what they are going to be living with.

Boggles the mind really. First meeting of the search committee, have a list of 10 coaches, should have been one of the first guys crossed off.

You look at their resume’s, and over in the far right corner, you see the word “rape”.

Get’s crossed off. Right there. No discussion.

Comment by Dan 05.01.14 @ 9:46 am

Hoops, I asked this a few weeks ago, someone may have answered and I missed it.

As far as these kids you hear, “so and so is transferring, and he is down to 3 schools”.

Is there a hard date, when they have to decide??
Does it go all the way up till school starting in late August or early September.

Or, is there a date in May or June, when they have to let their intentions be known??

Anyone know. Apologies if someone answered me a few weeks ago and I didn’t see it.

Comment by Dan 05.01.14 @ 9:49 am

Personally, I feel pretty good with Boring, Understated, Plain Small-Town Wisconsin.

… So long as HE WINS.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.01.14 @ 9:51 am

@ Dan-o

Even Joe Pedo turned over in his grave when they hired the Charlatan.

And that’s saying something !! :-)

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 9:54 am

On the Basketball front:

5/1/2014 – 2014 SF Elijah Stewart (6-5, 165, 3.5?) has received an offer from Pittsburgh. – Per ESPN

4/30/2014 – 2016 SF Justin Jackson (6-8, 215, 5?) | Overall Rank: 6 | Position Rank: 4 has received an offer from Pittsburgh.

4/29/2014 – 2015 SG Dupree McBrayer (6-3, -, 2?) has received an offer from Pittsburgh. – Per Link

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 9:56 am

The real interesting one, is of course, that we’re still ‘offering’ for 2014.

So somebody is going to walk the plank for sure.

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 9:58 am

Well that would be one in addition to:

That means 2 have to go. Randall and ? (Uchebo)

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 10:00 am

Here’s some info on Elijah Stewart who is a LA kid.

hmmmm…maybe Wesley knows him. A package perhaps !

link to espn.go.com

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 10:04 am

Apparently the Tarholes were interested in him.

link to tarheeltimes.com

Maybe he wants to play in the ACC.

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 10:07 am

link to espn.go.com

Had no idea, that there was this much movement in college basketball.

I know there is movement, but holy cow!!

Comment by Dan 05.01.14 @ 10:10 am

We offered Justin Jackson yesterday, who is 5 star recruit, he tweeted:

J5? Just been offered by Pittsburgh University ???????? God is Good #TTRE

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 10:13 am

omit the question marks….don’t know how they got in the post.

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 10:14 am

I’m very happy to see, JD is not wanting to ‘stand pat’ with the current roster for 2014-2015.

As I believe he knows, as I know, we need an infusion of immediate new talented blood into this roster.

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 10:16 am

This is another kid Pitt is looking at for 2014, haven’t offered as of yet. A big Lithuanian.

Scout has him as a 3 star

Rokas Gustys

Status Undecided
Year 2014 (HS SR)
Position Power Forward
Height 6-9
Weight 245
Hometown Kaunas, Lithuania
High School Oak Hill Academy

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 10:28 am

@Emel – the question marks are an issue when you copy a tweet and paste it on here. I don’t know what characters don’t translate well between platforms.

Comment by Pitt Dad 05.01.14 @ 10:36 am

STATE OF PITT BASKETBALL…

Who’s filling the opening created by the loss of Rohrssen to Kentucky?

Have I missed something… or are we back to having Jamie ATTEMPTING to go the course without a SEASONED ASSISTANT capable of filling Rohrssen’s shoes both as an ACE RECRUITER and Coach?

Are we back to Square One… AGAIN?

Comment by PittofDreams 05.01.14 @ 10:39 am

@Emel, confused on Justin Jackson.

Found stuff says he committed to N. Carolina.

Then stuff where he picked up offers from Pitt and UCONN the past couple days???

Comment by Dan 05.01.14 @ 10:43 am

I don’t know PittofDreams……but as you can see from my post of 9:56…..somebody has been very busy over at the Pete the last couple days.

I think we can survive a few weeks without adding an asst., unless that asst. has some stud player he can bring with him !

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 10:44 am

@ Dan-o

yea I see that. Strange. He apparently signed a LOI with the Holes. Maybe he decommitted.

Why else would Pitt & Uconn offer ?

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 10:48 am

Oh ok…this is a different Justin Jackson.

There’s one in the 2014 class the Holes signed. He’s from Houston.

And there’s one in the 2016 class. He’s from Toronto, Canada.

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 10:52 am

Offering is not signing, but the action is great.

Jamie is not willing to stand pat. Must be something going on.

Comment by gc 05.01.14 @ 10:53 am

Actually the one we offered is higher rated !

Justin Jackson

Profile Profile Scout Rivals ESPN
Star Rating 5? 5? 5? 5?
Overall Rank 6 0 6 ?1 6 0 7 ?19
Position SF PF SF SF
Position Rank 4 0 3 0 2 ?6 4 ?4

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 10:54 am

Chas, about your headline for this article: Did you actually know about this guy or did you Google him?

link to youtube.com

C’mon, fess up!

Comment by steve1 05.01.14 @ 11:09 am

Byron Wesley of USC coming to town in the middle of May.

This would be a nice immediate help pickup.

Kid averaged almost 18ppg (about the same as Lamar) and 6.4 rpg. And is 6’5″, the same as Lamar.

Shot 47% FG.

We definitely need some scoring help imo.

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 11:14 am

I have to agree with Emel, and would be OK with voiding the agreement with Ped St to play the 4 games. Let’s just leave it where it lies and refuse to play them out of disgust for what they are. Sounds like a can’t lose proposition for us. They were the ones that forced it to end so screw ‘em, who needs ‘em.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.01.14 @ 11:33 am

POD, from what I read on Twitter, Jamie spent the last 2 weeks on recruting since it is one of those open seasons for contacting/visiting recruits as permittted by NCAA.

Not sure how long of a window it is but presumably it is bigger priority right now than interviewing potential Slice replacemnets.

Comment by wbb 05.01.14 @ 11:47 am

sos22, we can’t cancel the series with PSU for 3 reasons:

1. after years of complaining that they wouldn’t play us, it would seem hypocritcal
2. They would be all over us for ‘backing down’ and being afraid to play them
3. we would displaying the same ‘holier than thou’ attitude that we had admonished them for all of these years

Comment by wbb 05.01.14 @ 12:27 pm

And the lost revenue from 2 sold out games and cancelation fees. No way we cancel

Comment by rayhpgh 05.01.14 @ 12:43 pm

@wbb, 1) hypo or pedo, I’ll take hypo
2)They have been hiding from us for 15 years, and it didn’t seem to bother them 3)This is the real point, they have sunk to such a pathetic level to field a winning football team that we are clearly better than that. Playing them says it’s OK. Not playing says it isn’t OK with us.

There is going to be a lot of money and recruiting prowess on the line. Bragging rights will hang in the balance. It all seems very inviting, but let’s not forget what lengths the Peds are willing to go to preserving football prowess. I’m not sure it becomes us to be part of it. Sending a message sounds like a can’t lose proposition to me. I think Emel’s idea has great merit. The media would go crazy and we would get a lot of respect for taking a stand against the dark side of the sport.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.01.14 @ 1:16 pm

The Nashville DA acknowledged that Franklin contact the victim but he did nothing wrong.

Well, he may have done nothing wrong according to the law, but not necessarily according to NCAA, which he reportedly already acknowledged was aganst the rules. Further, if it comes that he actually arranged this, and it ended in rape … this cannot be good for him. Finally, allegedly there are many phone calls and emails that have been expunged, raising suspicion even higher.

He is supposed to have a presser today where I’m sure he will admit to the contact but claim he did nothing wrong with PSU backing.

Comment by wbb 05.01.14 @ 1:21 pm

WBB, If he admits the contact then he lied earlier.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.01.14 @ 1:29 pm

A “Slice” sighting. Scroll to the bottom of the article.

link to cbssports.com

Comment by Pitt Dad 05.01.14 @ 1:35 pm

@Emel, thanks!!

I’m for keeping Creepy Valley on the schedule.

Comment by Dan 05.01.14 @ 1:42 pm

Agree with wbb, playing PSU does much more for us than them. Sorry but backing out is ridiculous.

Who you going to replace them with, Edinboro?

Enough with the sanctimonious BS.

Besides think of the fun the students will have coming up with X-rated cheers.

The Franklin DA has to cover his hind parts now, and the University will too, because it is in the best interest of the Football program and the institution..

Don’t think we are immune to that sort of behavior, it is what big business does and Universities and Football programs are big business.

Comment by gc 05.01.14 @ 2:07 pm

gc, We never covered up for a pedophile on our coaching staff and we are above that. That doesn’t make us sanctimonious. Screw big business, college football, or any institution that is willing to sink that low. We are way immune from that “sort of behavior.”

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.01.14 @ 2:53 pm

gc, absolutely. I’m already looking forward to the tailgating in the parking lots.

I won’t start it, but if I hear any verbal shots from any PSU’ers, I will be ready like Gilbert Gottfried firing off jokes.

Comment by Dan 05.01.14 @ 2:56 pm

Sorry, everyone’s got a little devil in them.

Could you imagine getting about 10,000 Jerry Sandusky masks. Pass them out to Pitt fans, and the Heinz Lot’s would be like a zombie zone, with thousands of Jerry Sandusky’s loitering around!!!

Get four fans to dress up like the 4 PSU fans, the guys in football uniforms and helmets. Except, no helmets, 4 masks.

I know, I know, I’m evil. Dark side of me on a late Thursday afternoon.

Comment by Dan 05.01.14 @ 3:00 pm

Spirit, we have all enjoyed watching PSU hoist on their own petard. But they are still the “Big Dog”, always have been, always will be. The B1G hasn’t boycotted them and neither should we.

We went to war with Germany and a guy named Hitler. He did a few bad things. We are now proud to drive around in their cars. Surely we can get beyond the PSU scandal.

Hopefully the Sandusky Scandal is one of a kind, it was truly the worst. But it has little to do with the kids strapping on helmuts or going to class at Happy Valley, and it has even less to do with whether we play them or not.

I was talking about, Vandy and FSU cover-ups in relation to big business.

By the way, how do you know what heinous acts have been covered-up by our University. The Catholic Church covered for hundreds if not thousands of Jerry Sandusky’s over a lot longer period of time. Maybe we ought to not play Notre Dame in an act of solidarity with all those kids.

Would that make us sanctimonious?

Comment by gc 05.01.14 @ 3:28 pm

We didn’t make the the list, whew!

link to huffingtonpost.com

Comment by gc 05.01.14 @ 3:56 pm

@gc – Harvard made the list twice!

Comment by Pitt Dad 05.01.14 @ 4:38 pm

Calipari, amongst others, being interviewed by Lakers.

Comment by Dan 05.01.14 @ 5:24 pm

Gc, The Catholic church and Notre Dame are 2 different entities and the Irish never dissed us off their schedule after a hundred years of playing. I have a son graduating from Penn State this year. Paterno and Saner knew about it and looked the other way. A bunch of little boys got raped and they let it continue so the football program wouldn’t be tainted. They get fined and miss a couple bowl games and lose a couple scholarships and then they hire a coach with a gang rape being investigated in his program. These guys just don’t get it, football programs are not more important than peoples lives. Until someone stands up and says ENOUGH STOP! it looks like it’s going to be business as usual at Happy Valley. I would feel real good about Pitt being the one to say No! I would rather play Youngstown.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.01.14 @ 6:06 pm

Spirit, if you feel that strongly why did you allow your son to continue in that heinous place?

I agree that what happened at PSU was beyond awful, and inexcusable for the primary players involved.

Pitt walking away from the game won’t change a thing.

Last time I checked, Notre Dame was run by Catholic priests and the Vatican does get a cut of the proceeds.

I get your hatred of PSU, but ND not dropping us from their schedule has little to do with the ethical argument.

I think it best if we just agree to disagree on whether playing PSU is the right thing for Pitt.

Comment by gc 05.01.14 @ 6:22 pm

Exactly right sos22. The way I look at it, we got by playing in the BigEast for football the last 13 years WITHOUT Ped State. And we didn’t dry up and blow away, as those in Creepy Valley thought.

In fact we played in 10 bowl games in those 13 years. Played in a BCS Bowl game (Fiesta-2004) before Ped State played in a BCS bowl game(2005).
Funny as soon as we did, they did the following year.

Now had we NOT gotten into the ACC, future Ped State games would be important. But having gotten into the ACC and in light of the recent criminality in Creepy Valley, from top to bottom, I would prefer Pitt’s good name NOT to be associated with theirs.

I hear a lot of stuff on here, about how people love the way PC is doing things the ‘right way’. That were recruiting kids with more than just playing ability and PC is trying to build a new culture at Pitt.

Playing Ped State, flies in the face of all these qualities that a large segment on here say they admire. And whole heartedly support.

In the whole grand scheme of things, 2 sellouts at Heinz Field is not going to change anything, we’ ve had sellouts at Heinz before, plenty of them.

But standing up and saying ‘NO’, we don’t want to vindicate Ped State’s hideous actions by playing them, could change things in the whole grand scheme of things.

Overt greed is killing college football, let’s not become a Florida State or a Ped State and lose sight of what a University is supposed to be all about. Helping kids, not raping them.

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 6:39 pm

As far as comparing Big 10 schools playing Ped State to Pitt playing Ped State, that is totally without merit.

Unless the Big 10 kicked Ped State out of the conference, those schools HAVE to play Ped State.

We all know the Big 10 is the most overtly greedy conference of them all. For there was NO reason whatsoever for them to expand their conference to include Rutgers and Maryland. Except overt greed.

The B1G have already tarnished their reputation. We don’t have to tarnish ours.

The B1G schools HAVE to play Ped State.
PITT does not !

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 6:50 pm

Gc, My son is a great young man, graduating this semester extremely high in his class. He chose Penn State for the education before any of this started. When he starts something he finishes it and to be honest he has always made wise choices so who am I to tell him what to do? I know he would have never looked the other way while kids got raped. Wouldn’t you think in light of what happened that those running Penn St would have enough sense not to get mixed up in another sex crime. Seriously this is disgusting.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.01.14 @ 7:22 pm

An addendum to my 2 posts, something I use to end all my posts with.

Veritas et Virtus !

Comment by Emel 05.01.14 @ 7:31 pm

Why should we lower our selves to competing against a school that has so little regard for decency. Football is not that important and if the situation were reversed I would be screaming for Pitt to quit competing in college football. When athletic teams lead to abuse of people to this degree something is wrong. Obviously the sanctions the NCAA put in place didn’t lead to a change of heart as to what is most important at Penn State. Shame on us if we encourage them by sharing a spotlight with them. The more I think about it the more I LOVE THE IDEA of not playing them because we morally object to what they are.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.01.14 @ 7:33 pm

gc, hate to say it, but those were some dumb comments, maybe we should stick to sports? The Catholic Church did not cover up scandals, individuals commit sins/crimes and individuals cover them up, don’t be so naïve as let a few scums reflect on the majority good. Further, sos22 is right, the Church and notre dame are only nominally related- ie, no more related than the church and bc or Georgetown.

And yes, we all want our fb program to excel, and it very well may, but there are more important things. How about Pitt’s announcement this week about successful regrowth of muscle, allowing people to regain normal function? I may not be smart enough to figure that one out, but I was pretty happy about (proud of?) the guys who did.

Comment by 1618mt 05.02.14 @ 7:28 am

@1618, I agree with your sentiments. When I was young I had a vision of athletics molding character and teaching leadership. Where is the win in sports if there is no honor in the pursuit. Why even have a football program if it doesn’t nurture the human condition. If our University wants to lead there are other ways to do it than to win the National Championship. I bet we would attract our fare share of great athletes if we became known as a place that valued character above trophies. Abusing the rules and creating an environment that breeds abusing people is not an environment that helps athletes either. We can do better than that at Pitt. What good is Famous James’ Heisman when he can’t even be trusted in a grocery store.

This brings me full circle to the subject at hand which is Derrick Randall. My first reaction was that Pitt should say so long , but after further consideration I have had a change of heart. JD should evaluate Randall’s character and make a judgement as to the likelihood of him learning from this mistake. Kids screw up, but 1 bad mistake without any real victims shouldn’t invoke the death penalty if the young man is repentant. A second chance might be in order, with the understanding that he is now batting with 2 strikes. He needs to understand that his behavior says something about all of us too.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.02.14 @ 8:48 am

sos22- Agree on Randall. Even though we are exceptionally thin at Center, Randall would not be much of a loss from a bb standpoint, but I do hope that he rehabilitates his behavior, and whatever Jamie or the University decides I suspect will be for the best. It’s tough for us fans sometimes, because we almost never have all the info.

Comment by 1618mt 05.02.14 @ 9:17 am

1618, you make my point, if individuals and not the church is responsible, isn’t it the same with PSU, individuals and not the Institution being responsible.

The cases are analogous, both involved pedophilia, both were covered-up. Regarding ND, I stretched the situation to make a point that you seem to support. When do you hold an institution responsible for the acts of an individual(s)?

Spirit and Emel want to hold PSU responsible for the acts of Sandusky, Curley, Spanier and Paterno.

Why isn’t your statement regarding the church applicable to PSU “don’t be so naive as to let a few scums reflect on the majority good”

The decision to canonize the Pope was questioned in editorials today since he ignored the scandal.
Obviously decision makers disagreed and felt the body of his work justified the honor.

Some feel the same about Paterno. While I am not one of them, I understand why people like Franco feel that way. They loved the guy, and the institution and can’t believe he would do anything wrong. The same way some feel about the church.

Comment by gc 05.02.14 @ 9:37 am

Not sure where I stand on Randall, like many in my generation, I drove under the influence routinely.
Certainly not something I am proud of. Today things are much different,with education and increased penalties a DUI is a very serious matter. Especially when you add drugs and a 19 year old. I am not sure, but in the best circumstances he would be made to sit out a year.

I believe he will be used as an example to others that there are consequences to this type of behavior. But who knows, unfortunately there is a
double standard and if he were a superstar, well…

My guess is Winston will maybe sit out a game or two of football, although he has been suspended from baseball. Funny though, shoplifting is just a citation in FL, wow!

Comment by gc 05.02.14 @ 9:59 am

@gc, You misstate my case. It is not only the acts of Sandusky, Curly, Spaner, and Paterno that makes me want to hold Penn State accountable. It is the fact that now that they have been sanctioned they have taken an approach that errors on the side of football rather than integrity. By hiring a coach that was in the middle of a rape investigation they send a message that says we will be the judge of what is acceptable for our football program. That same arrogance is what got them into this cesspool in the first place. The correct behavior IMO would have been to exclude any coach who with even a hint of a sex crime in his history. To do otherwise mocks the horror of what happened.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.02.14 @ 10:00 am

gc- regarding the Church, it’s ignorant of the media to say the pope ignored the scandal. It’s also ignorant to associate the sinful actions of a tiny percent of priests and project them on the overwhelming majority of good ones.

Regarding your point at large with regard to Penn St., I for one do not necessarily disagree. The majority of psu folks would not involve themselves in the sinful actions of the few. Then again, in hindsight, based on their most recent hire, I do wonder how much their priorities have changed, if at all.

Comment by 1618mt 05.02.14 @ 10:03 am

While I agree that PSU was stupid to hire Franklin under the circumstances and have said so, I don’t make the jump to arrogance. They do place a high priority on Football, it is a major part of their culture. They will be held accountable by the media for their decision. The articles in both papers showed that yesterday.

1618, I don’t want to debate the Church scandal with you. I just used it to make a point analogous to the PSU scandal. They both covered-up heinous acts to protect the institution. Just trying to make the point that we should never throw the baby out with the bath water.

I think we all agree on many points, I would just rather beat PSU on the football field rather than in the court of public opinion.

Comment by gc 05.02.14 @ 10:39 am

PSU FB is such a high priority because it brings in nearly $100M per yr, which more than anything led to the decision to cover-up heinous crimes. And just 2 years later and still under sanction, PSU pays $4.7m per for a coach so it’s back to business as usual … but we do live in a capitalistic society.

Comment by wbb 05.02.14 @ 10:58 am

@wbb, Sorry to not concur but since Obama got elected we have become socialists. There is much of the liberal left wing agenda that makes me want to gag but no more so than the scum dredged up at Penn State. It is only business as usual as long as we are going to allow it. If as an institution Pitt chooses to object so strongly as to cancel these games, like Emel suggested, I bet we could be a vehicle of change. Positive change that that would resonate in and out of college sports.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.02.14 @ 11:36 am

If enough schools said clean up your act or we don’t want to play with you, schools would be forced to change.

If enough athletes said behave yourself like a civilized human being or we aren’t going to play with you. Athletes would quit being thugs.

The leadership on this isn’t going to come from the NCAA. It isn’t going to come from politicians or the media. If we want athletic programs that reflect character and add to the human condition then as fans we have to speak out against what stinks and quit embracing a lack of integrity. Sport can be a reflection of the most beautiful areas of human wonder, but it can also feature our crudest perversions. Penn State football at times has done both. If they have to do both I’d rather not play them.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.02.14 @ 11:56 am

sos22, typical — blame everything on the liberals, no matter what the topic

If anything, it was the conservative lack of empathy for the underprivileged that caused a large revenue machine to cover-up acts that would affect the bottom line

I don’t really believe all what I said above …. I’m just piting out that there are at least 2 sides to every issue

Comment by wbb 05.02.14 @ 12:19 pm

WBB, Actually I didn’t express myself well. I think the socialist swing has actually yielded some adjustments to society that are long overdue, but some of the stuff is just too much for a conservative to swallow.

Example The clippers owner is universally berated for his bigoted behavior. (good move)

Where is the outrage at the NAACP for being about to give him another lifetime achievment award despite the fact that he has demonstrated a lifetime of questionable racist behavior. (why not)

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.02.14 @ 12:51 pm

Actually, the biggest hypocrisy at the NBA announcement (which I totally agree with), was with Spike Lee sitting there at the presser.

One of the worlds biggest racists.

Comment by Dan 05.02.14 @ 12:58 pm

Someone in the office, just told me, Spike Lee actually works for NBA radio on XM.

LMAO. The height of hypocrisy.

Comment by Dan 05.02.14 @ 1:00 pm

I don’t think it is coincidence that societies that fell often left sporting arenas as evidence of their existence. The Olympics is as much a testament to men not being able to get along as it is to any joint love of sport.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.02.14 @ 1:13 pm

That’s because the emphasis is on winning (conservative viewpoint) and not merely competing (socialist)

I’m kidding!

Comment by wbb 05.02.14 @ 1:24 pm

WBB, I think you are on to something. Is there a more liberal, left leaning area of society than the College/University education set. Yet college football is a brazen winner takes all conservative prickfest. No wonder the gay linebacker waited ’til after his senior year to come out.

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.02.14 @ 1:40 pm

I know most of you guys think Calipari is a slime ball and have valid reasons for your opinions, but do yourselves a favor and read his latest book. Once you get past the self promotion, he actually offers some pretty interesting insights on college basketball, coaching, and how to fix some of the craziness, specifically the NCAA rule book. Also, the philosophical and practical differences with Dixon’s approach would make for some interesting banter on this blog.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 05.02.14 @ 2:19 pm

B, What’s the name of the book?

Comment by spiritofsection22 05.02.14 @ 2:43 pm

“Players First, Coaching from the Inside Out”.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 05.02.14 @ 9:06 pm