April 28, 2014

Cullen Christian Ghosts Out

Filed under: Football,Transfer — Chas @ 7:44 am

I won’t lie. I didn’t even know Cullen Christian was still on the team.

After three years at Pittsbugh, Cullen Christian will be transferring to West Virginia.

Christian graduated from Pitt on Sunday, earning his degree in Administration of Justice. He will go on scholarship at West Virginia, where he will be enrolled in graduate school pursing a Masters in Sports Management.

“I know where I wanted to go after I graduate, and I’m going to West Virginia,” Christian said. “This is something I’m looking forward to. I’ve already started conditioning, and getting ready. I went to the spring game, which was cool. I got to meet the coaches. I’m going to go there this week and get my apartment set up this week. I’ll start school on (May) 19th.”

Christian transferred to Pitt in 2011, after playing as a true freshman at Michigan. After sitting out the 2011 season, due to the transfer rule, he started the first two games of the 2012 season, including the Cincinnati game where he had two pass breakups.

Christian will be reunited with defensive backs coach Tony Gibson for a third time in his career.

Not trying to be mean, but this isn’t much of a loss for Pitt. He wasn’t going to show up on the two-deep. He really never had much of an impact.

Congratulations on graduating. Good luck in West Virginia.

Can’t blame the kid, especially if he is going to get to play.

No news on recruiting. Hope they are working hard.

Comment by gc 04.28.14 @ 9:23 am

Since he graduated, I assume he helps Pitt’s APR … so there’s that

Comment by wbb 04.28.14 @ 10:11 am

Off topic, but interesting development in the SEC. They did not go to a nine game conference schedule, but they are mandating that as of 2016, each team play at least one non-con game against a team from one of the other four major conferences (this per ESPN).

Nick Saban had an interesting comment about the vote to stick with 8 conference games:

Alabama coach Nick Saban seemed to be one of the few vocal proponents of the nine-game format.

“I think there’s a little bit more support for staying with an eight-game schedule and everybody playing a ninth opponent that’s in the five major conferences,” Saban told reporters in Huntsville, Ala., last week. “My thing is I’m for playing nine conference games and still playing another team in the major conferences, so you play 10 games because of fan interest, people coming to games looking forward to seeing more good games.”

Saban must be crazy…thinking about the fans…what a stupid concept! He must not know that the fans are sheep and will pay top dollar for whatever crap game is put on the schedule because our beloved universities MUST have a seventh home game or they can’t make any money…blah, blah, blah!

Comment by HbgFrank 04.28.14 @ 11:58 am

Hard to believe a guy who got playing time at Michigan as a freshman wouldn’t even show up on Pitt’s two-deep as a senior…he looked pretty good to me when he got in. Given how so-so our cornerbacks were last year, strange he wouldn’t be in the mix. My guess is he just figured he’d get a better look from his old coach.

Now with Pardner gone, looks like we’re pretty thin at DB…maybe switch a RB or WR or two to defense…Ibrahim might be a good candidate if James can back up Conner in the fall.

Comment by Matt N. 04.28.14 @ 1:28 pm

Jameel Poteat coming to Pitt as a walk on. Has to sit this season.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 04.28.14 @ 2:42 pm

@HbgFrank, nail on head!

Comment by Dan 04.28.14 @ 3:20 pm

@HbgFrank, they have us. Tried to do the math last year, if I would have given up my hoops season tickets, and only bought the conference games from a brokerage. i.e. Stubhub.

You can pick up a lot of games cheap, but then pay threw the nose for Duke and Syracuse, so it ends up being pretty much a draw.

Same would go for football. Notre Dame, PSU, Fla.St, Clemson, you will pay so much, it will negate any cheap tix you pick up for Wake Forest or Boston College as an example.

It will never happen, but I’d like the top 5 power conferences to get their way so much, that the rest of Div 1. says, “we’re not playing you or scheduling any of you”, and the power conferences would have to play all their games against each other.

I’d love it. 12 real games.

However, the lower Div 1 teams need the money that playing a game or two against the power 5 will be necessary. They need the cash.

I actually like any of the Independents, Notre Dame of course, Army, Navy and BYU.

I like the Mountain West conference too.

But games against the MAC or the Sun Belt or the new AAC conference just have absolutely no appeal to me. Nor any Div II teams.

Notice, I said have no appeal for me. We could easily get beat by someone in those conferences, and I respect all the players at all those schools for playing college ball. I really do.

I’m talking about being a fan. No appeal.

Comment by Dan 04.28.14 @ 3:29 pm

Speaking of football about conferences above.

Hoops, I would be fine with UCONN, Villanova, G-town, Cincy from the Big East or AAC.

Smaller schools with known good programs most of the time, Butler, Davidson, VCU, teams like that I can deal with.

Maine, Savannah State and U of Missouri-Joplin campus sickens me.

The football, I’m almost good with now. This year being the exception, down the road, it pretty much pans out as.

8 conference games. 2 games BCS conf. 2 cupcakes

I can deal with that.

Basketball, an embarrassment and an insult.

Comment by Dan 04.28.14 @ 3:37 pm

Strange about Cullen.

I posted Pitt’s projected Depth chart for the fall, last week. We have only 3 CB’s on it and 2 of them are starting.

So it would seem he could have been on the 2 deep at one of the CB positions, the opposite one from Pitts side. Where one of the Clairton kids is penciled in as a starter.

Cornerback
1) Lafayette Pitts (RS Jr., 5-11, 195 lbs)
2) Trenton Coles (RS So., 6-3, 175 lbs)

Cornerback
1) Titus Howard (So., 6-1, 180 lbs)

What gives, must be some more to it. One injury and he’d be on the field or in the nickle.

Comment by Emel 04.28.14 @ 5:16 pm

Freshmen not going to redshirt.

Comment by gc 04.28.14 @ 5:26 pm

Is that true about Poteat ? That’s good news as that will add to our RB depth and the kid was a 4 star coming out of Bishop McDevitt in Harrisburg. Same HS as Shady.

Believe he was a Wanny recruit before the debacle.

Comment by Emel 04.28.14 @ 5:26 pm

@Dan, I like the plan for 12 real games…we can dream!

Welcome Mr. Poteat. You can’t have too many Crusaders on your roster. Poteat was a DW commit that flipped to Cincy after DW was fired. Then he left Cincy for Stony Brook when Coach Jones left for Tenn. Poteat was a 4 star that broke Shady’s records at Bishop McDevitt HS…..H2P and Hail to the McDevitt High!

Comment by HbgFrank 04.28.14 @ 5:42 pm

We use to play 12 real games back before 1990 or so.

Same with basketball, when you look at the schedules back then, it wasn’t loaded with 10 or 12 cupcakes.

Which is why Pitt didn’t win 20 games every year.

And there weren’t 68 teams in the Big Dance.

Comment by Emel 04.28.14 @ 6:09 pm

nice story on Poteat

link to pittsburgh.rivals.com

Comment by wbb 04.28.14 @ 6:13 pm

Too bad Poteat has to sit out this season. :-(

We could really use him now.

After reading that whole story, he would have been at Pitt had not Cornhole gone bonkers. And who knows what would happened with Poteat.

These transfer rules suck. Somebody coming from Stony Brook shouldn’t have to sit out a year.

Comment by Emel 04.28.14 @ 6:40 pm

Midland, PA
Lincoln Park
6’5″
180
4 stars
6/3/13

Switching gears…..our 2 big verbals for 2016 both play the same position. Shooting Guard.

Hopefully one grows a few more inches and can also play SF.

Comment by Emel 04.28.14 @ 6:47 pm

You can play SF at 6-5. Anyway Rowan is listed at 6-6 by other recruiting sites.

Comment by Pitt1972 04.28.14 @ 7:59 pm

Has anyone looked at Jamie’s contract? I’m guessing he gets a bonus for reaching 20 wins. Would help explain his playing directional schools and no names.

Comment by TonyinHouston 04.28.14 @ 11:14 pm

@ Matt N, there’s no worries about depth at CB. Feldner came over from the wide receiver position last year to shore up the depth at CB. This year Reggie Mitchell who transferred in from Michigan last year will be able to play and the other Pitts, “Jevonte” could see time at the corner back position as well this year.

Comment by Dr. Tom 04.29.14 @ 6:40 am

If Poteat returns to form, with James, Ollison, Ibrahim, and incoming freshmen, Conners could play D-end his Junior Year.

Comment by gc 04.29.14 @ 8:23 am

Sorry, it’s Felder not Feldner, and Mitchell transferred in from Wisky not Michigan. I was going from memory, which apparently is not very good.

Comment by Dr. Tom 04.29.14 @ 8:34 am

Congratulations to the Pitt 4×400 relay team for their win at the Penn Relays! Outstanding!

Comment by gc 04.29.14 @ 8:47 am

gc – I can’t understand the apparent desire of PITT fans that James Connor switch over to defense. I mean, what other school’s fans would want their BEST returning ball carrier to not be a ball carrier at all?

I get the idea that one of these 2014 RB recruits might actually come into the program and blow up the field in his FR year since we have seen that happen at PITT before, but to me that is a gamble and a real long shot.

That said – I did just win $1350 on one spin of a slot machine last week so I do know that long shots do happen but when it comes to having a known quality vice an unknown quality at a starting position as important as RB I’ll go with what we already know.

Comment by Reed 04.29.14 @ 9:01 am

Matt N. – Christian and Vinopal transferred from UM to PITT at the same time after their 7-5 true FR 2010 season.

If you remember that was Rodriguez’s last season at UM and he was fired because of losses but also due to NCAA violations. Vinopal and Christian saw the handwriting on the wall and got out along with numerous other UM transfers.

Vinopal had much more playing time at UM starting six games but Christian played sparingly there and figured it would be easier to get playing time at PITT. I loved these transfers when they happened.

Funny how Vinopal has gone from being a ‘slow white guy who blows plays’ to a fan favorite in two years.

I always like it when a local HS player comes back ‘to the fold’ and wants to be at PITT. It always makes me think that for these WPA stars the grass isn’t always greener on another’s football field.

Another note: It is pretty obvious that Chryst is stocking up at RB specifically to switch some of them over to DB in the future. I’m glad he’s looking 2-3 years ahead in this regard as I think we’ll have an excellent program should Chryst decide to stay at PITT for the long(er) run.

Comment by Reed 04.29.14 @ 9:23 am

Reed, I think it is in Conner’s best interest. D-ends are much more highly prized than running backs.
Also they get fewer concussions.

It is also a major position of need for the team. We have not had a stud at the position since Sheard.

We need Conner at RB this year. He had a couple of good games last year. Obviously one in the bowl game against smaller guys.

But next year, we should have pretty good depth at RB. We lose Durham and Price at end. If Conner has the ability to get to the QB, that is a highly prized talent. One that we need and one that pays big in the NFL.

Plus it has been very slow around here and we need something to stew over and I am tired of On-campus stadium and Pitt uni’s talk. LOL

Comment by gc 04.29.14 @ 9:39 am

Christian tweeted (after his Pitt graduation) that the difference between UM, Pitt and WVU is ‘swagger’ … I assume he is saying that WVU has more (but not 100% sure)

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 9:47 am

I partially apologize … this is from WVU 247 Sports:

Former Michigan Wolverine and Pitt Panther Cullen Christian will be transferring to West Virginia as a graduate transfer, he confirmed with EerSports. Not surprisingly, once he received his release, Christian reached out to another Pitt to WVU transfer – Rushel Shell – and says he learned what makes the Mountaineers so different.

“He told me that West Virginia (has) that swagger,” said Christian, a four-star recruit out of high school. “I’m not really used to that with the teams that I’ve been playing with.”

Christian says he will be in Morgantown next month for the start of summer workouts. Look for more in a full story on EerSports tomorrow.

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 9:51 am

Swagger? More like “Stagger” as in stumbling, bumbling, and fumbling since the day they joined the Big 12. That team is a reflection of their coach.

Comment by HbgFrank 04.29.14 @ 11:19 am

Conner to D-End?

What is it going to take to realize the kid is a RUNNING BACK…. WANTS to play RUNNING BACK… and as a TRUE Freshman showed himself to be PRETTY GOOD… as in an ALL-TIME Bowl Record kind of way?

Maybe considering the switch in number to “24” might be a clue as to where you can expect James to be playing the VAST MAJORITY of his snaps this Fall.

Of course, there’s always the possibility that another kid coming in and making an IMMEDIATE IMPACT as a “Feature Back.” But even then… don’t hold your breath.

Personally, I’m looking forward to seeing a LOT MORE of “PANTHER-BEAST MODE” toting the Rock behind what’s expected to be a MUCH-IMPROVED O-Line.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.29.14 @ 11:41 am

Swagger + (4 and 8 record) = Stagger

Of course he will speak well of the team he is going to, I’m not too upset about this.

He actually quit the (Pitt) team before spring so he knew he was moving on … just like Pitt will do.

The subject at hand is CB depth. Pitt has 3 possible starters, and the 4th (J Pardner) and 5th (Christian) left. There are 2 freshmen CBs coming in who may provide some depth (Motley and Maddox) and I assume that a WR may be moved. (Note that UNC transfer Brendon Felder played the 2012 season but was not on last year’s roster.)

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 11:41 am

On the surface, Conner playing DE seems a bit silly … however, it is the HC who not only has talked about, he has also let Conner practice there a short while this spring.

My guess is that Conner will be used primarily at RB, but would not bet against him seeing some time at DE … especially if there are injuries in that position

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 11:46 am

One person sure NOT to cement himself a role as FEATURE BACK is Jameel Poteat.

Nice to see him have an EPIPHANY in deciding to return to Pitt.

But a VERY AVERAGE Back… especially considering the level of competition at Stony Brook.

Here are highlights against Colgate… one of his better outings.

link to youtube.com

Comment by PittofDreams 04.29.14 @ 11:50 am

Perhaps Poteat will provide some CB depth in 015. Not only in his cousin the GA CB coach, as I recall, Hank played both RB and CB at Pitt.

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 11:55 am

@wbb – Poteat is also working out with Aaron Berry. You might be correct about his future as a CB.

Comment by CalvinHobbes 04.29.14 @ 12:24 pm

- WVU and Swagger…. wow, just shows where Shell’s head is at that this is his focused distinguishing feature!…. not W-L. See how much swagger after a few 1000 trips to dust bowl locations for track meets with teams that will be putting up 45+ points every game…

– Connor, @reed interestin points and @GC his points are interesting in that it would be in Connor’s long term interests at DE. Frankly if the RBs pan out we will be deep there and we need studs on defense. I have no problem with it, IF.

– interesting take by @wbb and others on the stocking up on DBs via different positions.

2 years from now we are all going to be here in January writing about how we hope Chryst does not leave…. I sure hope the current Whisky coach does well!!

Hey, I read somewhere that the weightroom was being upgraded? I hope the new ACC money is coming in and Pitt is upgrading the facilities accordingly to at least compete with the 5 star facilities of so many other teams.

Comment by Pittscript 04.29.14 @ 12:32 pm

1000 mile…

Comment by Pittscript 04.29.14 @ 12:33 pm

@ Tonyinhouston, Pitt would be foolish to pay JD a bonus on 20 wins since he has never had a season he didn’t. IMO scheduling has nothing to do with his income and you are just looking to take a cheap shot as usual. None of us have been crazy about the Non-con schedule recently but I think this year it is likely to show considerable improvement. If it does he’ll still get 20 and get us to the dance.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.29.14 @ 1:04 pm

@Tonyinhouston. Agree with you many times. This time I kind of don’t.

A bigger bitcher about the OOC home schedule I do not know more than myself.

However, even using the phrase “others are able to still have some home and homes and made for tv games”, which I have said and still say, I understand that we are still only talking about 1 or 2 decent games that the other teams schedule.

For arguments sake, say every team has 10 OOC home games.

Yes, Pitt always plays 10 cupcakes. However, even the teams that schedule a good team, only have one, or at most two of those games.

So, ok, Dixon plays 10 cream puffs, as a lot of teams do, even the teams that I compare Pitt too, that do schedule some games, still have 8 or 9 creampuffs on their schedule.

So, 23, 24, 25, 26 wins is still quite impressive and an accomplishment.

If you don’t like the creampuffs, that’s ok, take them off his record. You have to take them off of everyone elses record too then.

So, we can then say, 13, 14, 15 or 16 wins is the bar. Which is pretty good. That is pretty much saying the guy wins 10-12 conference games every year, and a couple pre-season mini tournaments. Not bad??

Am I letting Dixon and Smug off the hook?? Absolutely not. I want to be one of those few teams that do schedule a home and home with another good team, or have a made for tv game at the Pete.

I’m not asking for them to schedule 10 great OOC games.

Just one or two, throw the fans a bone.

Comment by Dan 04.29.14 @ 2:12 pm

p.s. Posted this a million times. It’s slow, so I’ll post it again.

It’s not like they always did it this way.

From 03-09 or so, we had home and homes with Ohio State, Washington (who was in the top 10 both times), Wisconsin, Georgia to name a couple.

Not sure what changed around 2010 or so.

Money?? Can’t afford to lose one home game, every two years because of a home and home series?? Really, the department was that tight that we had to quit doing that???

Ok, ok, I’ll even give you that. So, now we get 20 million a year from the ACC.

We can’t do it now???

Also, I would imagine, Jamie and Smug are probably tired of hearing about it. Not just us, all around W.Pa.. Even the national people have taken jabs.

If they are tired of hearing about it, I have a pretty simple solution on how to make it go away.

I won’t even charge any fee for this info.

Gratis!!!!!!!!!

SCHEDULE A COUPLE REAL FRIGGIN’ GAMES IN THE OOC!!

Comment by Dan 04.29.14 @ 2:23 pm

Hey – we have a relative unknown player at QB; no real depth past our #1 WR and a OL which gave up way too many sacks last year – so let’s move our proven and productive RB to a different position…

Personally, I don’t care a whit what position might benefit the player in question’s NFL chances. That really is not why he is at PITT or wearing a PITT uniform. Sure, it is great when a PITT player gets drafted and does well but that shouldn’t be the goal of the PITT football program.

The goals are to win football games in a manner that is positive for the school’s reputation and produce student-athletes who are ready to face the rest of their lives with a PITT degree. Which gives PITT the best chance to win games in 2014. Conner on offense or defense? IMO it is offense unless something wonderful happens with the other RBs in summer camp.

I’ll take all this back if one of the other RBs play well enough to allow the staff to move Conner to DE on a permanent basis but at this time that is highly speculative. Keep Conner practicing to be the bruising and winning RB he’s shown he can be.

The word out of spring camp is that Conner is even stronger and faster than he was in 2013. If true that hammering he will put a defense under is a huge advantage for the offense. Imagine how beneficial it will be for Voytik if the opponent’s LBs have to play up tight to contain Conner after he gets through the LOS. Not only would it give Voytik one on one situations with our TEs and WRs which would greatly help him as a 1st year starter but it will also allow Conner beat down the opponents defense both physically and emotionally.

Kudos to Christian for graduating on time with three years at PITT. I wish the kid well in the future and hope that his swagger improves as the season goes on for the Mountaineers. Cracks me up hearing Shell complain about PITT’s ‘lack of swagger’ when he himself had to be practically dragged out onto the practice field.

Comment by Reed 04.29.14 @ 2:34 pm

Reed, I agree … but the point I am making is that it was PC himself who talked about the possibility of Conner playing some DE .. and even practiced there a short time this spring.

Thus, this is not solely fan or media speculation.

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 2:40 pm

wbb is correct, and Reed is right.

I don’t know, that kid was a battering ram. Wow, I’d hate to give something like that, that I havent’ seen in years up.

Maybe we do need him at DE, but he’d have to make one hell of an impact on D, for me to forget his ball carrying skills.

Comment by Dan 04.29.14 @ 2:47 pm

my guess is that he is only used at DE in desperate or critical situations (like the end of the 4th quarter in a close game.)

One thing to consider however … we have the bowl game still fresh in our mind where Conner just bowled over would be tacklers from the MAC team. I do not remember that as much vs the ACC.

Do not get me wrong … no doubt Conner is our best RB, and among the top in the ACC, and with adequate support should do very well this year … but let’s temper our enthusiasm a bit. He will meet a handful of opponents who are as physical and many more who are faster in ACC.

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 3:00 pm

6’5 USC graduate transfer Wesley is down to 3 schools … Ok St, Gonzaga and Pitt. He averaged 17 ppg last year.

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 3:10 pm

Personally, I don’t like this and believe that JD constantly going over othe schollie limit as he had done for the past handful of years has led to more trouble than it has benefits

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 3:12 pm

of course, if he would have brought in DAndres Kanes (as reported) last year, my opinion may be different

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 3:14 pm

Reed, my post suggests they move him his junior year, not this year. And only if they have multiple running backs as capable as him.

But honestly, he had a couple of strong games and was injured. He didn’t make it through spring practices because of injury. Let’s not make him Riggins yet.

Comment by gc 04.29.14 @ 3:41 pm

Wesley averaged 17.8 points per game last year. It makes you wonder why a guy like him would want to transfer. I guess to get into the tournament.

If he comes someone has to go. Unless they know DJ will not be ready or have given up on CJ, not sure why they would do this.

Kind of weird.

Comment by gc 04.29.14 @ 3:55 pm

Did Cornhole have an opinion and ESPN decided to ignore it or was he too busy enjoying another vacation day to respond?
link to espn.go.com

Comment by TonyinHouston 04.29.14 @ 3:56 pm

ESPN Insider picks Pitt to be 8-4
3. Pittsburgh Panthers
Projected finish: 8-4 (5-3)
Chance to win ACC: 2 percent
Chance to finish 11-1 or 12-0: 2 percent

Pitt has won at least six games and no more than eight games in each of the past four seasons, achieving consistency despite multiple coaching changes in that span. Paul Chryst is now looking to take another step forward in 2014 and build on the slight progress he made from his first season at the helm. The best way to do that would be to shore up the Panthers’ special-teams units. Our efficiency data ranked the Pitt punt and punt-return units among the worst in the nation last year, and the team cost itself 1.6 points per game on special teams alone. The Panthers may be one of the midseason surprises, as their schedule is very light early on. Our projections give them a 54 percent likelihood of being no worse than 5-1 heading into an Oct. 16 game against Virginia Tech.

Comment by TonyinHouston 04.29.14 @ 3:59 pm

Reed, kids that come to Pitt with NFL aspirations would disagree with you. The elite athlete does not give a whit about the degree, they want to prepare to make a living at their chosen profession, football.

Wanny’s recruitment pitch was “I can prepare you for the NFL”

We just retired a guy’s jersey that went to the NFL after his sophomore season. Revis and Shady went early. If you don’t think that Pro Football is more important to these kids than winning one for the Gipper, you would be out of touch.

The modern coach has to consider what is in the best interest of the player, as well as the team.

When a kid has a concussion, he sits, even if it hurts the team.

Kids transfer at the drop of a hat.

Conner’s situation is remarkable because he appears to have the ability to succeed in two completely different skill sets. I hope he excels, whichever way it goes.

We wouldn’t be having this discussion if he wasn’t such an exceptional athlete, and like wbb said, if Chryst didn’t leave the door open a little bit.

Comment by gc 04.29.14 @ 4:19 pm

Tony, the way I read it Pitt is in with the schools wanting nine games. ND screwing things up again cause they are the ninth game every third? year?

Hopefully better depth helps the special teams.

8-4, sounds about right for the over under. Not terrible.

Comment by gc 04.29.14 @ 4:29 pm

The Real Definition of Swagger. I kid you not.

“In fact, the traditional form of the word’s first initial use is documented by William Shakespeare – a real poet that did not have to auto-tune his voice. The word first debuted in 1600 printing of the play A Midsummer Night’s Dream; the context of its use went along these lines: “What hempen homespuns have we swaggering here?” The correct definition of the word applies to carrying oneself in an insolent or supercilious manner. In short: the term connotes that swagger is displaying a dominance over others as if they are your inferiors.”

link to huffingtonpost.com

WVU can keep “that swagger”. See you later Cullen. Don’t let the door hit you…

Comment by Atlanta Panther 04.29.14 @ 4:57 pm

This is probably nothing but it could be something

link to tennessean.com

Here is an excerpt from this story:

Referring to records, the attorneys said the victim was contacted by Franklin and Galt during a medical examination four days after the rape to explain “that they cared about her because she assisted them with recruiting.”

It went on to say that at some point, “Coach Franklin called her in for a private meeting and told her he wanted her to get fifteen pretty girls together and form a team to assist with the recruiting even though he knew it was against the rules. He added that all the other colleges did it.”

This is about the rape incident and records being destroyed. I would tend to think that the above is over-the-top sensualization (sic) but who knows?

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 5:45 pm

Here is some food for thought for those thinking Dixon builds his record on cupcakes. I agree last seasons non con appeared absurdly soft. Here is some end of season comparisons that show the overall schedule to be typical of a top 20 program. Total games/games against NCAA teams
Syracuse 35/15 Duke 34/15 *UConn 40/18
Pitt 36/14 *national champs
Our overall schedule was very close to what everyone played. UConn as an example played a brutal non con but was in a softer conference. They played 4 more NCAA teams because they played 6 tourney games instead of 2.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.29.14 @ 6:14 pm

wbb sounds like PSU material

Comment by alcofan 04.29.14 @ 6:16 pm

alcofan, this is starting to blow up on the national sites, so maybe there is something to it.

would have to think PSU people are getting nervous

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 6:36 pm

Did Franklin ask her to form her pretty girl squad before or after she was raped? (allegedly)

What a seedy story. So they tried to cover it up by losing all the emails and texts, where have we heard that before?

Happy Happy Valley. Maybe one more guy (Franklin) to add to Spirit’s park bench. Good one, by the way.

Comment by gc 04.29.14 @ 6:42 pm

WVU has more swagger? Maybe he misspelled swigger.

Comment by 66Goat 04.29.14 @ 6:53 pm

If Franklin did indeed initiate the activity that resulted in rape, even though it of course wasn’t his intention, then the fact that it violated NCAA rules may be the LEAST of his problems

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 7:07 pm

BTW, I meant ‘sensationalism’ in my post above @ 5:45 … it’s amazing the increased amounts of brain farts when you get old

Comment by wbb 04.29.14 @ 7:11 pm

Thirty years ago I attended an East Suburban Golden Panther Meeting held at the Monroeville Howard Johnsons (Monzo’s). Bill Fralich was introduced to the group as Pitt’s newest recruit. Bill answered questions about the recruiting process. When he was asked about his favorite part of the process he blushed a little (his Dad was there) and said,” the Hurricane Honeys.” He went on to explain that the Hurricane Honeys were coeds that met the football prospects at the plane when arriving for their visit to Miami. They escorted the players throughout their visit. He didn’t elaborate but mentioned he thought Pitt would be wise to establish a similar tactic. Looks like Franklin knows how to recruit. Check his car and see if he has gangster whitewalls and a fur interior.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.29.14 @ 7:12 pm

Since WVCC is a glorified community college, they can get a lot more of those kids who have swag..and swagger.

Funny how that works.

Comment by Emel 04.29.14 @ 7:35 pm

@wbb, good job to break a story before the post gazette.

Now the PG is carrying this on their front page of their website.

link to post-gazette.com

My statement is … here we go…

When Franklin was hired this was a huge smoking gun under the rug there and everyone blew past it because the DA said… at the time… Franklin did nothing wrong.

yet as well all such cases once people get close to trail then the real scrutiny happens and everyone has PIs out there looking for info.

I say this is going to get… at a minimum… “complicated” for Franklin.

I say more shoes drop as this goes….

Just think about it guys… 2 years after Sandusky and the supposed need to ‘change the culture”:

1. PSU hires a head coach from a team with 4 player implicated in a rape.. and this is a guy who said “interesting” things about women in public (radio interview about hot wives).

2. PSU hires a new president from a university when it is dealing with a potential rape case of its star player and accusations of cover up (FSU, Winston).

Wow… and now both of those cases are starting to heat up… and will potentially blow up.

And I bet people will say they were ‘surprised’ by all of this.

Comment by Pittscript 04.29.14 @ 9:15 pm

article states there is an accusation that Franklin told a player who had video of the incident to delete it…

and I guess the prohibited activity of getting 12 “pretty girls” to be with recruits was just an innocent thing… he just wanted these girls to take the recruits around campus and the go to McDonald’s get them a Big Mac… chat over a Coke about campus life….

Usually such activity is really referred to as a prostitution ring…

Comment by Pittscript 04.29.14 @ 9:21 pm

It’s being reported by the Daily Record that Randall got arrested for dwi

link to dailyrecord.com

Comment by Gordo 04.29.14 @ 9:22 pm

I would be shocked if the transfer from USC comes here..he wouldn’t get anywhere near his 17 ppg here at slow down university

Randall just bought his ticket outta here…good riddens!!

Comment by Keith 04.29.14 @ 9:37 pm

Keith, I agree. Unless Uchebo is not physically able to perform, I think Randall may be the one shown the door this year.

Comment by wbb 04.30.14 @ 6:11 am

Comment by wbb 04.30.14 @ 6:26 am

Looks like Penn State pulled a Haywood.

Comment by notrocketscience 04.30.14 @ 6:37 am

I read the article, Franklin would never do recruiting like that at Penn State – he wouldn’t be able to find 15 pretty girls :>)

Comment by pittman4ever 04.30.14 @ 6:40 am

@pittman4ever, I get the joke but although I agree with the sentiment (hate anything state),Penn St. is home to a ton of hotties. Even the WVU hoopies have a huge population of gals most of us would love to share an evening with. I refuse to dis these ladies simply because they root for the wrong team. I learned a long time ago you don’t throw them out of bed for eating crackers.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 8:39 am

@ TonyinHouston, your quote,”Paul Chryst is now looking to take another step forward in 2014 and build on the “slight progress” he made from his first season at the helm”. Personally, I feel that HCPC has made big strides from 2012 to 2013, it just didn’t show up in the W-L columns. He has had to tear things apart prior to rebuilding. That takes time and results are not self apparent for awhile when that occurs.

I don’t think that most of the Pitt fan base appreciated what a clusterfu*k Chryst walked into after Graham bailed on the team. It was apparent all was not right in Oakland when a bunch of last minute suspensions occurred on our home opener against YSU, and we all know how that one worked out for us?!

Chryst decided, early on in his tenure, that a decision needed to be made to produce a transformation of the mindset and the culture of that Pitt Panther Football team. This was required if he was to turn it into a team of his own image, but the process wasn’t pretty. AKA byebye Shell!

We should all thank the Lord that Pitt’s move to the ACC happened last year and not immediately when the agreement was forged with the ACC in 2012, because it could of been very ugly in the W-L dept in 2012, moving on against the better level of ACC competition right then. How outclassed Pitt actually was against faster teams, was self apparent in our bowl game with Ole Miss to end the season.

So we ended up 7-6 in our first year in the ACC. But actually it was a pretty exciting season. Think about it. We see a monster of a player culminate his senior season in dominating the post season award theater for linemen, thank you Aaron Donald for your services, another Pitt jersey #, soon to be retired. We witness the second coming of Larry Fitzgerald, right out of the starting blocks against FSU with Tyler Boyd, playing against the eventual national champs at our evening home opener no less!

We get into a basketball score like contest against the eventual Coastal Division champs and pull out a tough win at Duke. Then we follow that up with a serious statement win, once again in a night home game, on national TV, over the frickin Domers, SWEET!

Then to start off the 2014 campaign in the right frame of mind, we end up with a real storybook ending to the season by having a bunch of up and comers doing what Pitt hadn’t done for years, and that was get the Panthers a come from behind win to keep a winning season intact in the Pizza Bowl.

What a win, with Boyd and Conner having record breaking performances, and who doesn’t feel that Chad saved the day in the second half, both with his feet and his arm, replacing Savage in the second half? And please don’t bother informing me that this Bowling Green team was just a MAC upstart. That was a good “Championship” team that we beat the day after Christmas!

Now today we have to hear about Rushel Shell express how much “swagger” the Hoopies have down in Morganhole. Bullshit, the swagger that this Pitt Panther team is currently developing is one of quiet confidence and the attitude of “show me” on the field with performance.

Shell is a loser, and always will be for one simple reason, he continues to rely on his substantial natural ability that permitted him a state record breaking career in HS and not much else. He is a slacker! That “swagger” attitude alone isn’t going to provide him with the same results in college and if he fails to change his attitude, he’ll never see a NFL career happen.

Atlanta Panther so aptly stated, SWAGGER, the term connotes that swagger is “displaying a dominance over others as if they are your inferiors.” At 4-8 any swagger that WVU has is false bravado at best. Kind of like Franklin’s own bull$hit that he’s been peddling every since showing up at creepy valley. I bet the shit starts hitting the fan with him pretty soon also.
Poor state penn, so busy trying to clean the $hit off the one foot that they end up hopping into another pile of it in the process. Couldn’t happen to a more appropriate institution. “WE ARE,,,,,still in deep $hit, with more soon to follow, most likely.

So just watch this coming season, I think all of the honest hard work that this young Panther organization has been putting in, and I’m including the coaching staff in this “young” comment as well, will begin to bear fruit this season. I see us 5-1 going into our Thursday evening nationally televised battle against VT, if we can stay healthy up to that point in the season.

Another poster earlier said in this thread, that would make Pitt a “surprise” mid season ACC team, not for me it won’t, I expect it!

Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Dr. Tom 04.30.14 @ 11:34 am

“quiet confidence”. Well said Dr. Tom. There is so much potential on this team. Even if it doesn’t all come into its own this season it is going to be FUN to watch this offensive line mash opposing defenses in a year or two.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 04.30.14 @ 2:53 pm

Dr. Tom and Reed — good to hear we’ve got a little depth at DB, though it seems not a great deal of experience. I imagine he will switch some guys over from O to D if the 2nd-3rd stringers don’t look up to the job. Also agreed, do NOT take the ball out of Conner’s hands…ridiculous. Running for 100-150 yds per game next year is far more critical than getting a couple sacks over the course of a season…and what if some fat lineman chop blocks him and blows out his knee?

Comment by Matt N. 04.30.14 @ 3:37 pm

If swagger were points Russel Shell would be a college All American instead of a former High school star. It isn’t though so instead he is bench warmer on a losing team. Nobody transferred to nowhere equals nothing.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.30.14 @ 4:02 pm