April 14, 2014

It seems assistant basketball coach Barry Rohrssen has been the rumored target to replace Orlando Antigua on John Calipari’s Kentucky bench. Granted it has been a slow week-long rumble, but everyone is presuming it will happen (and thank you KSR comment kids for demonstrating that Kentucky fans have little basketball knowledge outside their own team).

For Rohrssen it is almost a no-brainer. Kentucky is a blue-blood job with huge exposure. No, John Calipari assistants haven’t had the greatest success rates, but they get opportunities. Rohrssen obviously wants another crack at being a head coach. His odds increase being on a staff like Kentucky  This may shock some, but the money may have very little to do with it.

There’s no doubt it would be a tough loss if Rohrssen goes. The immediate fallout would likely be the loss of 2016 commit Mustapha Heron.

That said, it is hardly a body blow to the program. There are lots of very good coaches out there looking for work *cough*Tom Herrion*cough* who could be brought in to replace Rohrssen.

One other stay or go guys now appears to be St. John’s transfer Chris Opekpa. The 6-9 center/shot eraser sought and received permission to transfer from St. John’s. Pitt has been one of several teams actively pursuing him. Yet it now seems that he is having some second thoughts about leaving.

According to a source at one of the potential destination schools “every day that Obekpa hasn’t transferred leads me to believe that he’s going to stay with St. John’s.”

The source added “I don’t know if the problem is sitting out a season, getting away from New York or (something) else.”

Part of that “something else” might have to do with his NBA Draft status. Opekpa is eligible for the 2015 draft if he stays with the Red Storm. Heading somewhere else and sitting a year delays his eligibility until 2016

I learned early in my business career that no one is irreplaceable! Change is inevitable.

Havig said that, I have this recurring feeling that Jamie Dixon will not be back as coach this Fall…probably though an unforseen set of circumstances.

Comment by Dan 72 04.14.14 @ 9:18 am

The only way Jamie Dixon isn’t the coach at Pitt this fall is if he drops dead.

Comment by Omar 04.14.14 @ 10:05 am

David Cox is the other name being thrown around as a Slice replacement. He is a big time recruiter and has strong ties in DC area.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 04.14.14 @ 10:43 am

I know this is a basketball thread but this just in from SI.com:

“4. Speaking of surprise players … The stunner this draft season is a quarterback who threw 83 passes as a Rutgers sophomore in 2010, then didn’t play college football in 2011 or 2012 as he transferred from Rutgers to Arizona to Pitt. “The hottest guy in the draft,” Brandt of Tom Savage. How hot is he? Late last week Savage’s agent, Neil Schwartz, had to tell two teams who wanted to set up a visit or meeting with the quarterback that he didn’t have any time left to do so. “There are literally no days left on his calendar for him to go see any other teams,” Schwartz said Saturday. The deadline for teams to host players or work them out is April 27, and by then Savage is scheduled to have either worked out for or had visits with 24 or 25 teams. That’s an amazing number of workouts and/or meetings … and when I say meetings with teams, I mean time with either the GM, coach, offensive coordinator or two or three of those. Savage is popular because he’s got an above-average NFL arm right now—some are calling it the best in the draft—and showed well over the last half of last season with a bad offensive line at Pitt. He spent Friday with the Oakland staff, and that’s a place he’d fit in well. Amazing to think a player so itinerant and with so little college success could be leap-frogging A.J. McCarron, Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger. But there’s a good chance Savage will. Todd McShay had Houston taking Savage with the 33rd overall pick. Now there’d be a way to kick off the second day of the draft in style, with a stunner like that.”

Comment by Pitt Dad 04.14.14 @ 11:18 am

I’m sure they already know who would want to hire if Slice goes. I just hope the guy they get is a good recruiter.

Comment by Justinian 04.14.14 @ 11:18 am

Pitt Dad, We’re Ambidextrous! We can talk about basketball and football.

Comment by Justinian 04.14.14 @ 11:25 am

Speaking of FB and BB — we lost Engram but hired what looks to be 2 very capable assistants; and whether it be Cox, Herrion and whoever, I’m sure JD will hire a pretty good assistant

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 11:34 am

According to Adam Zagoria, Slice to Kentucky… a DONE DEAL.

If true, a sign that Pitt under Jamie Dixon is not “up and coming” as an Elite Basketball Program… and the chances of that becoming the case anytime soon just got a WHOLE LOT SLIMMER.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.14.14 @ 11:36 am

Losing Engram to the NFL is NOT AT ALL the same of losing Rohrssen in a lateral move to another school.

Yes, it is Kentucky… and yes the rumors have been swirling around the possibility of Calapari going to the Lakers.

But still, not the same… unless the deal were already in place to hand the Kentucky job to SLICE. But, just don’t see that happening.

As far as the future of Pitt Basketball goes. In addition to those questioning Dixon’s ability to stay cool at “Crunch Time” or Conservative “Defense-First” approach… the criticism has mainly been with Jamie’s INABILITY TO RECRUIT the kind of players necessary to raise Pitt Basketball to the level.

When SLICE was brought back, even the MOST ARDENT Dixon Supporters saw it as a GREAT MOVE that made too much sense. At last… some much needed SALVATION!

If it is true that SLICE is in fact gone, his willingness to leave the program has to shake the confidence of the Pitt Fans as to the direction the program is headed.

After the struggles of the past few years, there is no reason to AUTOMATICALLY BELIEVE Jamie has the ability to single out and land a “SLICE IN WAITING” that can steady the course.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.14.14 @ 11:57 am

Losing Slice will hurt, but who wouldn’t wish him well and understand him pursuing such an opportunity.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 11:59 am

Jamie will find a way to win 20+ every year. Who else can do that unless they are at a non-academic money school. Very glad about Savage. He played well for Pitt.

Comment by Frank MD 04.14.14 @ 12:01 pm

what I dislike the most is that we will probably lose Heron .. from everything I have read, he is a legit star

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 12:17 pm

What about that school to the North called UCONN?

Comment by PittofDreams 04.14.14 @ 12:31 pm

Even when a Pitt guy like OA gets a break, head coaching promotion, Pitt still takes a loss to the program. Go figure. Slice will be missed on the recruiting front.

Comment by Spindler's Spirit 04.14.14 @ 12:32 pm

Plenty of bread out there and all Pitt needs is a slice. I’d be worried if we lost the coach. Plenty of good recruiters and capable assistants in the bread box.

Comment by TX Panther 04.14.14 @ 12:34 pm

If Pitt can get Herrion back then it’s actually an upgrade. Herrion can be credited with the development of our big men and with some projects coming in would be a very big asset.

Slice was great because JD could lean on him for in-game advice, but guess what … JD took more heat than every for lack of in-game adjustments this year. Sure recruiting hurts a bit it’s certainly not the end of the world and he’s 100% replaceable.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 04.14.14 @ 12:36 pm

@ Frank

When you schedule the kind of non-con we schedule, 20 wins is not that big of deal.

You only need to go 9-9 or 8-10 to reach 20 wins.

Heck we even got over 20 wins the year we went 5-13 in conference the other year.

I think a few of us wouldn’t mind a subpar year or two in exchange for a Final 4 trip.

We have got to break thru this apparent ‘Wall’ that seems to be in place.

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 12:36 pm

@ Spindler’sSpirit

Yep that is so ironic and seems to be the trend at Pitt.

On the cusp, but never can get over it !
Sort of like Pitt/UC football in 2009, Pitt/Butler, etc. etc.

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 12:41 pm

I do find interesting the fact that it seems most, if not all… have come to the REALIZATION that Jamie does need an Assistant who in addition to being a GOOD Coach… is a PROVEN RECRUITER.

Now we’re getting somewhere.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.14.14 @ 12:46 pm

Looks like Ben Howland is ‘out’ of the running for the vacant job at Cal (Berkeley).

link to blog.sfgate.com

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 12:59 pm

I remember reading somewhere — not even sure if it was here or another site — a commenter stated that recruits commit to a program…not a coach. I guess we’ll find out soon enough if Heron is committed to Pitt, or to wherever Slice is coaching? I’d hate to lose him, or anyone else, to “One and Done” U in Kentucky.

Cardiac Hill has some nice information about possible replacements for Slice:

link to cardiachill.com

Comment by Hank the Tank 04.14.14 @ 1:05 pm

In 2 years Pitt wil be in the bottom third of the ACC and Dixon will be gone. Herron and Diallo were probably both headed to Pitt and now headed to Kentucky

Comment by Chick 04.14.14 @ 1:11 pm

Emel, I think Howland has worn out his welcome on the left coast by making enemies in recruiting connections. Recruiting was never his strength and like JD he has struggled with the elite types.

I think Slice and Dixon were on the cusp of doing some great things together. They seemed to be maturing as a team, if coaching teams can do such a thing.

I think Slice is wise to grab the KU job. The high profile shot will likely get him another DI head coaching gig eventually and he will be better prepared next time. There is no reason he shouldn’t prosper with the right opportunity. If Antigua can pull it off Slice certainly can.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 1:13 pm

I assume Herron is lost , how will we fare with the other top 15 NY kid. The left handed NYC guard? I would to lose him too.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 1:17 pm

Damon Wilson would likely be in jeopardy if Slice leaves too.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 1:22 pm

This really sucks, I hate Calipari. First he steals Antiqua and now Slice. How did we get to be his farm team? Of all the teams he could raid he picks the one that gave him his start. What an ingrate.

Not happy with Slice either, comes back for one year when it really takes several to accomplish anything. Another ingrate.

If Calipari wants to help Pitt guys why not take Knight and help him advance his career?

It is obvious that Jamie needs a quality guy to recruit and assist.

Chick, you might be right, but you take to much pleasure in it, you are certainly not a Pitt fan.

Comment by gc 04.14.14 @ 1:26 pm

@ Chick, You can sell JD short if you want, many have. He had made a career out of quieting such critics. I remember local radio guy ,Madden saying what a stupid choice he was when Howland left. His forecast of doom proved what an idiot Mark Madden was. Losing Slice will be a blow but with winners like JD the clouds of adversity can often rain alternate drops of strength gained in the adjustment to the obstacles. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Jamie makes people forget Slice was ever here, and I mean no disrespect to Slice when I say it.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 1:46 pm

Damon Wilson is a Brandon Knight recruit, so there should be no worries there. Also, I believe Diallo plays with Wilson and that relationship is the reason the Pitt rumors are so strong.

I don’t blame Rohrssen for taking the Kentucky job. He’s going to a school with no academic standards and a coach that’s been dirty everywhere he’s been. If Rohrssen scores some big recruits, which he surely will, and is in the final four every year, he’ll be a head coach again in no time.

Best of luck.

Comment by denny 04.14.14 @ 1:58 pm

Sorry for the football thought but I am curious how Russell Schell could be struggling for playing time in the WVU backfield if he is half as good as people made him sound when he left.I would think he would have secured the job by now.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 1:58 pm

@Chick, a couple weeks ago, you said by signing day, we wouldn’t get either of those two guys anyhow!!!

LMAO!!

Comment by Dan 04.14.14 @ 1:59 pm

Disappointed he didn’t stay longer, rubs me the wrong way a little bit.

But, he can do as he see’s fit.

I don’t wish anything bad on him, can’t say I really wish him that well either.

See ya, next.

Comment by Dan 04.14.14 @ 2:04 pm

Lots of twitter buzz that Zanna will be invited to Portsmouth for PIT. Not hearing anything about Patterson.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 04.14.14 @ 2:15 pm

Gc please don’t tell. me I’m not a Pitt fan I’ve been supporting this program emotionally and financially since before you were born I am sick tired of this fan base accepting mediocre coaches and programs our teams are middle of the road and if we keep losing our best coaches we will never compete with anyone other than Division 2 programs. We should have stayed in the big east

Comment by Chick 04.14.14 @ 2:19 pm

Off topic. Did any one see this coming?

link to mmqb.si.com

Savage a possible number 33 pick by Houston? The “hottest QB” in the draft right now?
No more room on schedule to interview with NFL team due to scheduled booked with teams until draft day

This could be a big splash for Pitt if he indeed goes in the first two rounds.

Comment by Pitt Fan in Atlanta 04.14.14 @ 2:24 pm

We have to first stop accepting mediocre AD’s and bring aboard Chancellors who understand brand equity and the right balance between sports and athletics. Don’t blame the coaches when they don’t hire themselves and they don’t fund the facilities and scholies. We should have bolted the Big East with Miami the first time. Thank GOD for second chances.

Comment by TX Panther 04.14.14 @ 2:28 pm

I think it is unreasonable for people to be bothered by Slice leaving after 1 year. He is an assistant and a damn good one. He has to go where the best opportunity to advance takes him. He doesn’t have the luxury of loyalty to give nor does he owe us that. Chances like the UK job are rare and are more likely to open doors he hopes to enter. This is the best time of year to have to deal with this type of adjustment for our programs loss. I appreciate what Slice gave us and hope he meets with every success he may dream of. He gave Pitt hoops more than he took away and though he will be hard to replace, he deserves the respect of being able to pursue his dreams without us holding him back. Thanks Slice and go get ‘em.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 2:30 pm

Chick, you are not a Pitt fan … you pounce too fast and too hard on anything negative

And denny was right … Damon Wilson was recruited by Knight … yet you couldn’t wait to spurt out that Wilson would be gone, which just exposes you for the fraud that you are

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 2:30 pm

Pitt fan, what it is is a splash for HCPC, especially if Savage is one of the top QBs to go. Whenu you consider that the Super Bowl winning QB also finished his career under PC, it is something that you can build on

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 2:35 pm

PC is no Jay Paterno …. just ask the Pitt fan

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 2:36 pm

I hope wherever Savage gets drafted he is fortunate enough to have good blocking. He is without question the most vulnerable QB I have ever seen throw. He has beautiful form and is a picture perfect passer. If he were a 45 record and they could play him at 78 he would be the next Dan Marino. As it is though he might be the first QB to die in the pocket in the modern era.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 2:40 pm

Hew was rated a 5-star coming out of high school and had a decent year for a natural freshman at RU, then it seemed to go awry. Not sure exactly what happened, but they guy who replaced him (C Dodd) certainly didn’t have the skills.

Anyway, the higher he goes and the better he does, the better for Pitt

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 2:50 pm

We are all entitled to our opinions about Dixon. Those opinions fuel this site.

But facts are facts. And the fact is that Dixon signed a contract extension through the 2022/2023 season, the year current 7th graders graduate from college. It would cost Pitt nearly $10 million to buy him out (or fire him) today. The current AD was responsible for getting the extension done.

My opinion, Dixon is not leaving anytime soon, he will absolutely see the incoming class of recruits graduate.

I agree with Omar, Dixon is only 48, so he’s unlikely to drop dead.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 04.14.14 @ 2:52 pm

Chick, I have never heard you make a positive comment. Not even when we were schooling NC and making child’s play of an eight seed.

If you think we should have stayed in the Big East, that’s pretty funny since we are not a Catholic school and we do have a football team.

If you are speaking of that other collaboration of unwanteds, that’s even funnier.

It just seems like you are here to bitch and moan, and take great joy in Pitt’s problems, which admittedly have been many.

If you have been supporting Pitt since before I was born, you really are a sour old coot.

Comment by gc 04.14.14 @ 2:57 pm

Savage got a raw deal at Rutgers and Arizona which really stunted his development. No doubt he has a pro arm. I hope he gets to use it.

Comment by gc 04.14.14 @ 3:01 pm

Dixon will be here and deserves to be. He has to overcome the loss of Slice and find someone to replace his recruiting prowess, not an easy task.

It is very frustrating because Slice was developing a nice pipeline.

You don’t have to be a genius to know we need some elite players to compete with the best in the ACC.

Comment by gc 04.14.14 @ 3:07 pm

Stayed in the Big Least?? Surely you jest!!

I think I’m gonna vomit!!

Comment by Dan 04.14.14 @ 3:11 pm

Didn’t think I could hate Calipari more but once again he proves me wrong. I hate that Slice is leaving, always thought of Slice as a recruiter first and we will certainly miss his talents in this area… getting good recruits in NYC and the DC area will be harder without him. I think getting Herrion now is key… always though Tom was a great assistant and we were successfully with him.

I don’t think losing Slice kills the Mustapha Heron recruitment, from what Chas posted I thought Heron’s father liked the program and Dixon. It sounded like the father made the decision to come to Pitt, not Mustapha, time will tell.

Comment by Pitt fan from Canada 04.14.14 @ 3:11 pm

@GC, Savage is a tough talented kid and he will give it his very best. That is why I am so certain he could be killed in action. He is flat out slow and vulnerable with his delivery and those big professional lineman will hospitalize him in short order.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 3:13 pm

Perhaps you meant the American Athletic Conf.??

With UCF, Houston, Memphis, SMU and Temple???

You gotta be tryin’ out material. They still have that Comedy Clud in Station Square??

Let me know when you have the stage!

Comment by Dan 04.14.14 @ 3:16 pm

Comedy Clud, same difference!! LOL

Comment by Dan 04.14.14 @ 3:17 pm

Pitt fan from Canada, Slice can recruit, and it is safe to assume that his recruit Mustafa Heron will follow him to KU.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 3:18 pm

Spirit you are right, a big deficiency. He doesn’t seem to feel the rush coming. Hopefully he goes where they have a stellar offensive line, and works on a quicker release.

He couldn’t have had poorer pass protection last year and a running game that was non-existent much of the time.

I did think he improved with his short passes though.

Comment by gc 04.14.14 @ 3:23 pm

Slice has been friends with Mustafa’s father for years. Now, if Mustafa somehow would feel more at home at Pitt than Kentucky, I’m sure Slice would tell him he wuld be in good hands here … an UK would only have to get five blue chip stars in stead of six in 2016.

Also, by 2016, Cal may be coaching the Lakers or the Knicks

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 3:32 pm

@GC “which really stunted his development” If he plays 2 seasons against NFL defenses they will stunt his brain to the point he won’t be able to complete a sentence let alone a pass. Savage is a big slow tough white kid getting chased by bigger, faster, and stronger black kids being enriched for pulverizing him. He almost lasted a season at Pitt, nobody could take that beating for 5 weeks in the NFL. Slow deliveries and hang in and take the beating is not an option in the NFL. It will be painful to watch him in the pros.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 3:35 pm

Spirit – wishful thinking here.. but keeping Heron’s dad in the loop could pay off to keeping him a panther. This is where Jamie needs to step up and make the Heron family a priority.

Comment by Pitt fan from Canada 04.14.14 @ 3:35 pm

While the initial post suggest money wasn’t an issue….I am reminded that Pitt just walked into a 20 million dollar windfall.

And while losing Slice to Ku doesn’t tarnish Pitt’s image nationally…imagine the boost to Pitt’s image if Slice were to stay?

The Pitt brass likely didn’t even want to pay what it would take to keep him…even with 20 mill in the bank to pull from. And as a consequence the Pitt basketball program, and at least one highly rated recruit…have been dealt a major blow.

Some of you need to get it through your heads…..Pitt simply does not have the stomach to be elite in any thing sports related.

To this point, I think Chick is dead on.

Comment by Tallahassee Panther 04.14.14 @ 3:41 pm

Slice is too good of a recruiter to not get his top recruit to stay with him, especially for the class of 2016. I guess he will just have to suffer a career at the top basketball program in the country. Seriously their is no way he stays with Pitt, thinking so is fantasy. For that matter it was delusional to think he was ever going to play here anyway. He is just way better than those who come here.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 3:44 pm

@Tallahassee, When you say Chick is “dead on” do you agree Pitt will finish in the bottom half of the ACC in two years as Chick suggested earlier?

This isn’t a money issue, but I agree Pitt might not be willing to stomach an elite effort. They still have been in the top half of the conference for 10 of the last 11 years. Chick suggestion seems to over react in that respect.IMO

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 3:55 pm

Slice better realize there is no Mineo’s or Aiello’s in a hick town like Lexington.

Calipari since he didn’t get the Pitt HC job he wanted in 2003, is the gift that keeps on giving.

IN ALL the wrong ways !

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 3:59 pm

Off topic. Did any one see this coming?
link to mmqb.si.com

This could be a big splash for Pitt if he indeed goes in the first two rounds.

Comment by Pitt Fan in Atlanta 04.

Savage would have put up huge numbers last year, if we would have any semblance of an offensive line that could block as he did in the Duke game.

Still can’t believe they couldn’t figure out some sort of blocking scheme to give TS more time.

It was all very strange and Pitttypical (new word)!

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 4:03 pm

Comment by TX Panther 04.14.

Agree however the ACC didn’t want us in the first go round.

And really preferred Uconn in the 2nd go round.

Thank God for the Catholics up at BC !! :)

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 4:06 pm

I am amused by all this Savage love. He stood in the pocket like Herman Munster and couldn’t throw a touch pass or lob a screen if his life depended on it. He has a picture perfect delivery. You can get a whole roll of pictures every pass because he is so slow in his delivery. He is tough smart gutsy and has all kinds of heart. I hope he signs for a ton of money so he can spend some before he dies in the pocket, because he is going to get murdered in the NFL.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 4:20 pm

Emel, “More time” The blocking was only part of the problem. He required a ton of time and couldn’t throw short or screen. He had zero mobility and was a huge slow target. He threw a beautiful ball and hung real tough. So much so it hurt to watch. That’s the guy I remember.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 4:25 pm

Hasn’t Calipari’s time expired at Kentucky? Given his history at Memphis and UMass it would seem his only move would be to the NBA where he can legally buy players. I wasn’t aware that Herrion was a one and done. It’s a complement to a successful program to lose assistant coachesI I have a lot of respect for Coach Rohrssen and he has every right to improve himself but if he leaves Pitt with anything other than memories and experience he should repay his salary and sit out one year just like the players he was hired to mentor.

Comment by T Bear 04.14.14 @ 4:29 pm

Off of what I saw in the Pizza Bowl if Savage were coming back I would want Voytek to get his shot this year. I’m not sure some of those lobbying for him last year weren’t right.

I wish Savage nothing but success but whoever drafts him is making a big mistake. He is way too limited and slow to compete at the next level.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 4:30 pm

I seem to remember, Tom boy scoring Pitt’s only TD against Va Tech….on a 10 yard QB scramble.

It hurt to watch Pitt not being able to figure out how to block a horrid, worst ACC team in Virginia.

And he did throw much shorter passes as the season progressed, don’t know what games you were watching sos22. lol

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 4:32 pm

Why all the Savage hate sos22. The kid is gone, he took a savage beating.

He hadn’t taken a real snap in a game in 3 years.

He did pretty well, considering the shit offensive line(and O-line coaching) and RB’s who couldn’t pick up a blitz if their lives depended on it.

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 4:35 pm

Agree with Emel, Savage came around in the back half of the season.

Also – as bad as UVA was, their defense was pretty damn talented. Was one of the top rated units in the country I believe coming into the Pitt game.

Savage will make some noise in the NFL. Maybe not this year but eventually. Chryst teaches quarterbacks how to be quarterbacks. Savage not only knows how to run the pro set, and how to make reads, he knows how to learn. And that’s really the key.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 04.14.14 @ 4:37 pm

@Emel, The guy I recall could execute the perfect Statue of Liberty play. He would make a great living as a trophy model but average 4 sacks a quarter. As I get older I get more critical every year. It might be time for me to just watch and keep my mouth shut.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 4:40 pm

yea…well early season stats are very sketchy at best Atlanta Panther.

I believe UVA played Vmi the week before us. Ball State layed 48 points on UVA the week after the Pitt game.

They followed that with giving up:

35 to Duke
35 to GT
59 to Clemson
45 to UNC
45 to Miami
27 to Maryland

After scoring 58 points against Duke.
Pitt’s offensive scheme didn’t change at all in the UVA game, I blame the coaches.

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 4:45 pm

Anyway at least with Savage, you always had the feeling(hope) he could drop a long bomb (given the protection) for the game changing TD.

We hadn’t had that feeling at Pitt since Rod to Larry.

Or maybe way back to Alex.

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 4:48 pm

@ sos22

I’ll remember Tom as the comeback kid, who made all the throws as well as any QB I’ve ever seen in leading Pitt to the 58-55 win over Duke.

And I was there to witness it !!

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 4:51 pm

Gc. I may be A coot but at least I’m not stupid. In the years Slice was a head coach Dixon didn’t. Get one decent recruit out of New York. In one year back Slice had four in line all from the same High School and Heron a five star guard. No other assistant on his can recruit period. Yeah Dixon will his 20 wins every year 15 coming from Division 2 schools ,big deal.

Comment by Chick 04.14.14 @ 5:10 pm

Spirit…

re-read my post. My statement is to the notion that Pitt is not interested inbeing truly elite…and all the risk that brings. I would suspect Chick (and you) agree with this.

Asking if I agree Pitt will finish in the lower rung of the ACC is not in my initial rant….and as such, nowhere did I say I agree with Chick on this specific issue

Truth is….I don’t think they will be a bottom feeder in the ACC….but I am not holding my breath that they are top 2-4 year in and year out either.

They likely will be roughly where they ended this year, give or take one spot, IMO.

Comment by Tallahassee Panther 04.14.14 @ 5:12 pm

2015 ESPN Top 60 include several players in the local area.

1) #11 Carlton Bragg, Cleveland, OH
Villa Angela-St. Joseph High School 6’9” 220

2) #14 Thomas Bryant, Rochester, NY
Huntington Prep 6’10” 220

3) #22 Derrick Jones, Philadelphia, PA
Archbishop Carroll High School 6’6” 180

4) #26 Georgios Papagiannis C West Chester, PA
Westtown School 7’1” 235

5) #44 Horace Spencer PF Warminster, PA
Findlay College Prep 6’9” 212

6) #51 Esa Ahmad PF Shaker Heights, OH
Shaker Heights High School 6’7” 222

We’ve ONLY offered one (1) of these top tier players. Even though they’re in the local area.

I just don’t get it !

Comment by Emel 04.14.14 @ 5:33 pm

Aside from a couple of good years with Paul Evans, Howland and Dixon are Pitt hoops!! Thank The Lord everyday he is our coach! I get it we all want a championship! Well they don’t just give those out! We will get it done!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 04.14.14 @ 5:53 pm

Chick, I did not disagree with you regarding the importance of Slice. In fact, I agree wholeheartedly. I also don’t think and never said you are stupid.

My point is that you are always negative. I am frustrated too, but if I got no joy out of Pitt sports, I would find a new hobby.

Maybe I am wrong but your comments sound like you enjoy kicking them when they are down, and as I said I don’t remember a positive comment when we get a win.

We are all critics on this board, but most of us express some satisfaction when something goes right.

Comment by gc 04.14.14 @ 6:19 pm

A couple of comments.

1. Tom Savage had the worst protection we’ve had in years. Considering that he is a pocket passer he was under duress all too often.

2. Jamie Dixon will bring in someone who can recruit. Slice is a very good recruiter but he isn’t irreplaceable.

Comment by Justinian 04.14.14 @ 6:47 pm

Slice was the ONLY reason JD had any hope of getting big time players in here…BK is not a good recruiter and I don’t think he’s going to be a good head coach…This will set the program back and continue it’s downward spiral that I’ve been talking about…This program will NEVER get back to where it was 6-7 years ago

Comment by Keith 04.14.14 @ 6:50 pm

Slice leaving the first time wasn’t the only reason Pitt slumped in getting NYC talent … don’t underestimate Antigua leaving for Memphis in 08. In fact, the very reason Cal hired Orlando is the same reason he’s hiring Slice … their NYC ties.

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 6:51 pm

Keith, almost everyone didn’t think Dixon was going to be a good coach. And for that matter, many people doubted Howland when he came here because he had no East Coast ties

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 6:59 pm

wbb….don’t get me started about JD….I still don’t think he’s a good coach…and his unwillingness to adapt to these kids who want to score will for sure never get this program to where it could have gone

Comment by Keith 04.14.14 @ 7:03 pm

Keith — for the record, Damon Wilson is a Brandon Knight recruit. If Diallo comes to Pitt, he will also be a Knight recruit.

Did we just lose John Wooden to Kentucky or did we lose a guy that couldn’t even win at Manhattan? Don’t get me wrong, I liked Rohrssen just fine, but he’s an assistant coach. Dixon will bring in Herrion or somebody else that can recruit.

This is a blip on the radar.

Comment by denny 04.14.14 @ 7:20 pm

I would be shocked if Herroin or any other 5 star kid comes here….Slice was able to “dup” higher level kids to come play for boring JD ball…We’ll get our 3 star kids who play hard and do o.k….the 4 star kids we get figure it out quicker and transfer out….I agree with a poster earlier…we’re gonna be at the bottom half of the ACC soon enough..and that will suck..Bad!!

Comment by Keith 04.14.14 @ 7:26 pm

Slice recruit, Tyrone Haughton, still seems eager to sign LOI in two days.

Comment by xfmrman 04.14.14 @ 7:31 pm

Boring JD ball? You act like Dixon is the only coach to implement a tight system. Watch Michigan State lately? No, how about Virginia, or Wisconsin? Syracuse lives in the 50s and 60s.

You my friend are delusional. Pitt basketball won’t miss a beat if Rohrssen leaves. He’s an assistant coach — dime a dozen.

Comment by denny 04.14.14 @ 7:35 pm

Denny….I’m delusional??…every team you just named except for Virgina have one thing in common…they’ve been to final fours!!!…and I would take any of the Wisconsin kids over most of ours!!!

Comment by Keith 04.14.14 @ 7:38 pm

I didn’t mean to sound like I was hating on Savage as that isn’t the case. I see him as a lot more limited than he is projected and I actually got tired of watching him get pounded last year. It hurt to watch and was pathetic at times. Kid had plenty of heart and at times was excellent tossing the ball. I don’t think he has a prayer at the next level but hope I am wrong.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 7:41 pm

@denny, “won’t miss a beat, dime a dozen” He wouldn’t be headed to KU if that was the case. We will overcome the loss, but it definitely is one. IMO You are as off base as those posters who are ready to write us off.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.14.14 @ 7:45 pm

Spirt — interesting you don’t have a problem with Rohrssen using Pitt for a better job, yet you chastised Howland a few weeks back for doing the same thing.

Hmm, let’s see: the years he was gone, we had teams that were exactly like the years he wasn’t here. Pitt landed their two best recruits (statistically speaking) — Taylor and Birch — when Rohrssen wasn’t here. This guy is incredibly replaceable. With the way kids transfer these days, losing a kid from the class of 2016 means nothing.

Assistant coaches love coaching at Kentucky because Calipari has zero restrictions on character or academics.

2006/2007 29 – 8
2007/2008 27 – 10
2008/2009 31 – 5
2009/2010 24 – 8
2010/2011 28 – 6
2012/2013 24 – 9

Comment by denny 04.14.14 @ 8:12 pm

Blair, Wannamker, Brown (Gil & Mike), Patterson, Zanna, Young, Artis, Newkirk, McGhee Adams, Birch and I’m sure a handful of others I don’t recall were not Slice recruits …

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 8:13 pm

Keith — Dixon got his team to the elite 8 and lost on a coin flip. If you only evaluate coaches on number of final fours, then who is your replacement for Dixon? There aren’t that many of those guys out there and none of them are coming to Pitt. And if you look at the converse, getting to a final four doesn’t automatically make you an HOFer. You want JT3? How about Mike Davis. No? They surely you’d love to bring in Bruce Weber.

Comment by denny 04.14.14 @ 8:19 pm

denny…I’d love either of the miller boys..their style of play is more appealing to young kids these days…I know that’s a long shot and probly will never happen…

and can anyone ever see pitt do what UConn or Kentucky did this year?…a 7 and an 8 seed making it to the final four??…no way in hell pitt could ever do that

Comment by Keith 04.14.14 @ 8:23 pm

Sean has failed to get to the final four with far superior talent and Archie hit the lottery coaching a team full of seniors in a dream draw.

Just admit it – you just love them because they’re not here. Neither of them are any better than JD.

Comment by denny 04.14.14 @ 8:30 pm

You folks that want Dixon out are insane! Do you even know what you are saying? I sat through the Ralph Willard days, I’ll take 20 plus wins a year, tourney every year and take my chances! If Dixon would go, we are not guaranteed a Miller boy would come. The grass is always greener my friends!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 04.14.14 @ 8:35 pm

I second that Denny!!!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 04.14.14 @ 8:37 pm

Dixon is a victim of his own success. Going back a half century, Pitt had a few moments in mid 70s under Ridl, same in late 80s under Chipman (who recruited and Evans who coached ) … AND THAT WAS IT!

Howland / Dixon provided Pitt with by far its longest and best era of basketball, … to the point that a coach whose team just won 26 games is now on the firing block by a few … Amazing!

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 8:39 pm

I don’t love the millers…..I’m tired of JD…I’m tired of watching our players be afraid to shot…to dribble around to try to find a shot..and not being able to beat a press!!..

and….it’s also funny that people on here say that Dayton had an easy draw…if ppl think that pitt would have beaten those same teams…that’s funny

pitt had easy draws….they were called having #1 seeds!!!!….oh…but I guess it wasn’t a good draw…..

Comment by Keith 04.14.14 @ 8:43 pm

I’m not just now wanting to fire JD….I’ve wanted him gone two years ago…I would love for anyone to give examples of why you like JD…and wins can only carry a little weight….you and I can win 20 games if we scheduled 10-15 winnable non conf games a year!!!

Comment by Keith 04.14.14 @ 8:47 pm

Dayton beat Syracuse when Tyler Ennis missed TWO TWENTY footers in the last 30 seconds, … and then they beat Stanford who Pitt beat by TWENTY ….. HELLLLLOOOOOO!!!!!

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 8:49 pm

wbb…right…cuz in a one game playoff format pitt has ALWAYS come thru…silly me

Comment by Keith 04.14.14 @ 8:57 pm

Wbb, Emel would have 24 wins with our garbage non con. IUP??? Hell 16 wins were gimmees. No one cares about winning bc Pederson is happy placing 170 in the AD cup thing. Look at PSU in wrestling, girls volleyball. They at least invest in olympic sports. Dixon getting 10 years is a joke. I dont see anyone lining up to hire him. 1 step ahead 5 back same story different day in Pitt Athletics yet the sheeple are happy. Easy draw for dayton, etc. Can we ever give another program credit? UK cheats? No Academics? We arent IVY leagues people. We are a middle of the pack college in ACC in Academics and bottom of the pack in athletics.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.14.14 @ 9:03 pm

Keith, Take a chill pill. The sky’s not falling.
By the way, the Pitt coaching staff did a pretty good job this year. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE expected much out of the Pitt basketball team coming into this year. AND they lost their best three point shooter. During the flat part of the season Lamar Paterson and Talib Zanna were injured. As they got healthy the Panthers played better and finished in the ACC tournament playing very well.

Comment by Justinian 04.14.14 @ 9:09 pm

UPBB, did I cut any other program up?? …. go ahead, look above and see, please!!! And in fact, I would also prefer Sean over JD if given the choice. I also agree that the non-con heeds t be improved.

Nonetheless, I know that JD is a pretty darn good coach and real Pitt fans should be glad to have him. He had two No. 1 seeds in the last 5 years, missed the NCAA only once, and his team is edging back up. I see 4 gifted freshman coming back plus another gifted transfer also wit 3 years eligibility .. and also 2 4-stars coming in the next two years (no, I didn’t count Heron.)

I think the program is fine …. hey, I still contend firing Wanny was a mistake, so no way should JD should be axed

Comment by wbb 04.14.14 @ 9:16 pm

One of Dixon’s finer coaching performances. Slice is replaceable just like everyone who doesn’t run their own business. Dixon is the face of Pitt basketball. The Pete is the face of its home. Unfortunately, there is a face that I wish could be erased.

Comment by TX Panther 04.14.14 @ 9:22 pm

I actually am more excited to see where PC can take the football program….I already know what JD can do with the basketball program…

I’ll take it one further…I’m more excited to see how the women’s team will play our with SM at the helm!!

Comment by Keith 04.14.14 @ 9:25 pm

I will always remember that pass that Savage threw down the sideline to Weatherspoon late in the Duke game. It was clutch – as was the catch – and he placed it right where it needed to be.

He’s got more than just the strong arm. But I do wonder how he will fare against NFL speed.

Comment by Joe Lawrence 04.14.14 @ 9:33 pm

I would think Pitt is a top 15 team if Savage had another year left. What lost years when a safety played this position.

Comment by TX Panther 04.14.14 @ 9:47 pm

Seriously, we lose an assistant and it is the end of the world?

JD is here to stay. If he leaves we are really screwed. The grass is rarely greener.

Comment by notrocketscience 04.15.14 @ 6:32 am

Tx Panther, Let’s not get carried away. The fact that Pitt’s offense with him at QB looked very mediocre vs UVa, VT, Navy, GT and Cuse, which only shows what a team game FB is. Savage can’t block or play defense.

A little mobility at QB just might be a plus until the OL is fully developed, and PC is astute enough to develop the offense for the QB skills.

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 7:15 am

Please remember the primary job of a QB is to make quick decisions and pass the ball accurately. Neither of our 2 QBs have proven they can do that yet, especially when the game is on the line.

Comment by rayhpgh 04.15.14 @ 8:29 am

There were quite a few mocking Gil Brandt on here last fall when he said Savage would be drafted. Gil Brandt has already forgotten more about player analysis than most of us know. Doesn’t mean Savage will have a successful NFL career, but he’ll get his shot.

By the way, Gil Brandt graduated from…yes of course, the University of Wisconsin. Wait…can he recruit???

Comment by Iron Duke 04.15.14 @ 8:33 am

Ray hits the nail on the head with his simple point re a qb. Make good decisions & pass accurately. I agree with those who rated Savage highly regarding his passing (except for the short range for some reason) but felt his decision making was avg. at best. I don’t know how Voytik will do, but he looked strong in both of those areas in the bowl game. Yeah, it was only 1 half but the competition was good and he had no real time experience in preparation. Nada. I’m certainly more hopeful re the qb position right now than I have been in many years, and hope is a good thing, so I’ll hang onto that.

Comment by 1618mt 04.15.14 @ 8:56 am

Iron Duke

Good one!

Comment by notrocketscience 04.15.14 @ 8:57 am

If the NFL was like the NBA used to be and could draft players right out of high school, Savage would have been drafted.

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 9:14 am

Wow, I’m no psychologist, but I’d say a couple of you really need to get away from Pitt athletics and the Pitt Blather.

For your own benefit, health, stress??

No, seriously. If you’re so disgusted and angry about a program………well………..

probably time to stop following them and move on to something better, and more positive in your lives.

Certainly time to stop taking time out of your day, to post on a blog, when it’s almost the same, exact comments every time.

I’m not happy at times with the football or basketball programs, and I state it on here, criticize a lot of times.

I also enjoy the good things and good times.

None of you ever post when those things are happening.

Good point from above, saw none of you post when Pitt was waxing North Carolina. Not one.

Anyhow, I digress, let me help you out with your decision.

We all know this. Pitt sucks, Pitt sucks in football, Pitt sucks in basketball, Dixon sucks, Chryst sucks, Pitt will never be anything, Pitt is mediocre at best, Pitt is a mediocre school.

OK??? We all know that. We all know that’s how you feel. We got it. We’d have to get it, when you post the same idiotic comments every friggin’ time.

Do your health a favor, at least do it for your family and loved ones, move on.

Save yourselves, this is no good for you!!!

Comment by Dan 04.15.14 @ 10:14 am

Nice Dan, that should take care of it.

Problem is, that’s who they are. It isn’t unhealthy stress for them. Both them and more so their loved ones are the ones to feel sorry for. We can at least ignore it and/or see it here when we choose to read it.

Comment by TVax 04.15.14 @ 10:21 am

@TVax, ha ha, ya you’re right. Hell, I bitch and moan on here too.

But, when you’ve posted, say a nice even number for arguments sake,

100 times on the Blather, and all 100 are negative???

Sounds like some issues.

Comment by Dan 04.15.14 @ 10:24 am

Kentucky lost to Robert Morris last year and played for the NCAA Championship this year. Withthe one and dones, they could lose to Bobby MO next year! If Slice goes there, he risks just that.

Comment by Dan 72 04.15.14 @ 10:36 am

Don’t believe the RUMORS swirling regarding Savage’s possible 33 Selection.

A lot of MISINFORMATION being intentionally sent out by NFL Team Personnel in order to throw people off.

For instance, Vikings Coach Mike Zimmer UNUSUAL NEGATIVE statements about “RED FLAGS” following a visit by Johnny Manziel.

Predicting right now that Manziel will be taken by the Vikings at 8.

Regarding Savage, his ROCKET ARM is going to land him somewhere. But seriously doubt that it’ll be Houston at “33″ given that the Texans will likely pick Bortles at “1.”

NFL Analysts like to level all of the blame on Savage’s struggles on Pitt’s Offensive Line. But anyone who really paid attention to the games know many of the RECORD SETTING SACKS Savage took were really on him. Nothing new. Being prone to Sacks and throwing into coverage played into the decision to bench him at Rutgers. A hand injury added to his woes during his Sophomore year.

At Pitt, Tom did fight to improve his quarterbacking over the course of the season. This undoubtedly is testament to Chryst’s abilities to bring a QB along and continually put him into a position to succeed.

But for comparison sake, just think back to the Pizza Bowl and how Voytik came in and really sparked the team with his mobility. This might give some indication as to Savage’s limitations that might become more than a little apparent at the next level.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.15.14 @ 10:45 am

Speaking of the NFL Draft and FUTURE Pitt Hopefuls…

From the Trib Review

********

(Offensive Coordinator Joe)Rudolph had high praise for several of his players, including right tackle T.J. Clemmings, who, he said, has made significant strides a year after his first season as a starter.

********

Now, this is saying a lot given the fact that TJ was Pitt’s MOST CONSISTENT Lineman in his first year on the Offensive side of the Ball.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.15.14 @ 10:53 am

Dan 72, what Slice risks the most is if Calipari leaves for the NBA next year

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 10:55 am

POD, much, in fact almost all of your recent post is correct. And there has been a lot posturing by NFL teams for years about certain players … just the other day in fact, Clowney was said to be lazy by a miscellaneous source.

However, I’m not sure why placing a player higher than projected (but not in first round) would be helpful for any team … although there may be a good reason

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 11:06 am

POD – I agree re the bowl game, ‘spark’ is a good word here. When Savage went down with an entire half to play, I thought we were done, but after it was over I honestly didn’t think we would’ve won if not for Voytik playing the second half. What impressed me was his poise and decision making & accuracy. Time will tell if it was a fluke, but we can only judge right now based on what we saw, and I like what we saw.

Comment by 1618mt 04.15.14 @ 11:07 am

Trib is reporting that Cressler decided to go to Vanderbilt:

link to triblive.com

What is it with the sudden fascination with Vanderbilt? First Freebeck, and now Cressler. Great school, but very little history with athletics, and they’ve done nothing in the past decade or 2. Must be the location near Nashville, and the quality of the education. Guess that makes sense with Cressler (Cornell to Vandy).

Comment by Hank the Tank 04.15.14 @ 11:24 am

Here is an informative piece about the value of Slice at Pitt .. maybe som eof you here may be overrating his impact here. (Again, I would hate to see him leave solely because of Heron)

link to cardiachill.com

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 11:25 am

Hank, Cressler was quoted that hew was looking for a good BB program with great academics. Apparently Cornell didn’t have a good program.

I suspect that because Vandy has lost so many players lately (including Jeter) and there were open scholarships, they recruited him hard and he thought it would be a great chance for much playing time

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 11:29 am

We have a guy to replace slice. Daryn Freedman left Kiski prep. Daryn has served on the staff of the NJ Nets, Philly 76 ers,D1 schools Memphis, Northeastern and Duquesne, where he signed 2 top 25 recruiting classes.

Comment by alcofan 04.15.14 @ 11:36 am

Hank, Jamie likely told Cressler that he’d be a nice option coming off the bench. Or not.

Cornell is dreadful, Cressler’s 17 points/game average withstanding.

Comment by steve1 04.15.14 @ 1:04 pm

alcofan, one issue with Freedman. He coached under Cal at Memphis so if he turns out to be any good, guess where he is going next?

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 1:29 pm

Hey anyone know the actual range of salary these guys command in a good program?

Comment by TVax 04.15.14 @ 2:03 pm

Pitt isn’t too shabby in academics but I can understand a kid wanting to get away from home and go to Vandy. Vandy though is one of the ivy leagues of the South much like Rice. But to totally dismiss Pitt is insulting. I’m using my Pitt education to actually form full sentences unlike some inbred graduates of that Hoopie school in the South.

Comment by TX Panther 04.15.14 @ 2:11 pm

“But anyone who really paid attention to the games know many of the RECORD SETTING SACKS Savage took were really on him. ”

That stmt. isn’t exactly true. I believe Justin did a pretty thorough analysis of just how many seconds Savage had in several games before being sacked.

Most of them were less than 3.5 seconds I if remember his analysis right. Anyway it was determined nobody could get rid of the ball in that short of amount of time. And most of the time he was harassed, bum rushed by several linemen at the same time.

Comment by Emel 04.15.14 @ 2:46 pm

Everyone should have remembered Justin’s stopwatch analysis of that. Unless just a Savage hater.

And being hit all those times, made his accuracy on the long throws as naturally after being buried so many times, even after throwing the ball, one becomes a little gun shy.

Comment by Emel 04.15.14 @ 2:50 pm

I’d like to know why it took so long to sit Bisnowaty, as he was in clearly over his head.
And then putting DJ at LT was also, something where he was in, over his head. Both poor coaching decisions, when you had a pretty reliable guy with experience sitting on the bench. And when Hollins was finally put in, the LT spot was a lot less of a problem.

Unfortunately I get the feeling Biz might be another Tom Ricketts (the kid, not the father)

Comment by Emel 04.15.14 @ 2:54 pm

“It’s extremely exciting to be returning to Pitt,” Rohrssen said in the release. “We obviously want to continue and build upon the great tradition established at Pitt. The program’s success speaks for itself. It’s been an honor and I’m proud of my association with the University of Pittsburgh.

“I love the city of Pittsburgh and feel that it’s home. It’s a great place to be.”

Slice could do a big service to substantially increase Pitt’s basketball program’s status. Stay at Pitt and tell Kentucky ‘No Thanks’ !

Comment by Emel 04.15.14 @ 3:19 pm

C’mon Emel, Biz is already more advanced than Ricketts. At least he played! Then, he played with back problems, but you were right on about Hollins not being used earlier.

But think of this. Biz was a better option at tackle as was 1st year OT Clemmings than both Cory King and Matt Rotheram who were both moved to OG after their pathetic OT performance the year before.

Pitt actually hasn’t had good OL play since 09. They had some good individual performers like Lucas Nix, and even then, he took his time returning to action after an injury in 011, probably because he didn’t like playing in Fraud’s offense. It’s not coincidence that both passing and running game were so effective in 09.

The good news is that there appears a light at the end of the tunnel. I expect the OL to imptove this year, and improve more next year, etc.

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 3:20 pm

Is Slice stayin? If so, Pitt has the chance to be Kentucky +1. H2P!

Comment by TX Panther 04.15.14 @ 3:28 pm

I don’t really understand the situation. Matt Steinbrink, Pantherlair, reported that Slice is making more here at Pitt than Antigua was at UK. The reason for going to UK is more exposure, and the chance at getting a better HC position (like Antigua) as compared to JD’s assistants who get jobs at D2 and lower D1.

But it seemed that ship has sailed for Roehrssen but who knows … he knows his reasons. On the other hand, if he’s comfortable here, he may decide to stay even if UK is one of the top programs! Plus Cal could bolt for the NBA next year.

Still think Slice leaves …. but who knows?

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 3:37 pm

ok wbb I’ll give you that. Biz did play ………. …. sort of. :-)

Think the O-Line was the worst last year since Wanny’s first year of 2005, when LaRod was our leading rusher with just 434 rushing yards. Maybe since

The O-line cupboard was pretty bare when WLAT left town for his inglorious gig at Stanford.

Comment by Emel 04.15.14 @ 4:07 pm

Per multiple sources.. CB Jahmahl Pardner has decided to leave the team.

Comment by Mailman 04.15.14 @ 4:19 pm

Some football recruiting info:

link to bleacherreport.com

Comment by Emel 04.15.14 @ 4:27 pm

Get your free Arby’s Curly Fries, to celebrate Tax Filing Day. ikr :-)

link to coupon.arbys.com

Comment by Emel 04.15.14 @ 5:25 pm

wbb, I agree that something is fishy re: the Slice situation. Frankly, it’s not much news either way so why drag it out?

Go, Slice. Or don’t. From what I saw of your sideline behavior this year I’m guessing significant others don’t give a shit either way.

Comment by steve1 04.15.14 @ 5:28 pm

1h
Sam Werner ? @SWernerPG
Here is a tweet today from Sam Werner blog:
OC Joe Rudolph said today that Pitt is finally at a point depth-wise where it’s not counting on any freshmen to come in and play next year.

Looks like things are starting to look up

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 6:16 pm

Emel… Who’s DJ?

Comment by PittofDreams 04.15.14 @ 6:33 pm

Dorian Johnson…you know one of our few 5 star recruits. He was much better when they moved him to Guard.

Not saying he won’t be a good Tackle, but he was overmatched out there last year.

Comment by Emel 04.15.14 @ 6:38 pm

“… then putting DJ at LT was also, something where he was in, over his head. Both poor coaching decisions…”

If you’re talking about TJ Clemmings… then here’s a little REALITY check.

TJ is destined to be drafted, maybe as high as “ROUND 3″ next year… and will go on to have a STELLAR CAREER in the NFL.

You heard it here FIRST. No, actually posted this last year.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.15.14 @ 6:41 pm

Sorry Emel… My BAD.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.15.14 @ 6:41 pm

Agree totally on Dee-J. He was totally out of place at TACKLE.

Makes you wonder about all the “So-Called Experts” who had him down as a “Can’t Miss Five Star” TACKLE at this level and the NEXT.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.15.14 @ 6:46 pm

To my defense, Johnson didn’t play enough or well enough for me to immediately recognize him by initials.

Hopefully, now that he is in a MUCH BETTER position at GUARD… we’ll all know who DJ is.

Comment by PittofDreams 04.15.14 @ 6:48 pm

Bronko Nagurski Trophy Winner – Nation’s Most Outstanding Defensive Player

Chuck Bednarik Award Winner – Defensive Player of the Year

Outland Trophy Winner – Nation’s Best Offensive of Defensive Interior Lineman

Rotary Lombardi Award Winner – Nation’s Most Outstanding Lineman or Linebacker

Athlon Sports National Defensive Player of the Year

CBSSports.com National Defensive Player of the Year

Lindy’s Sports National Defensive Player of the Year

American Football Coaches Association All-American (first team)

Associated Press All-American (first team)

Athlon Sports All-American (first team)

ESPN.com All-American (first team)

Football Writers Association of America All-American (first team)

Lindy’s Sports All-American (first team)

SI.com All-American (first team)

Sporting News All-American (first team)

USA TODAY All-American (first team)

Walter Camp Football Foundation All-American (first team)
ACC Defensive Player of the Year (coaches & media)

Athlon Sports ACC Defensive Player of the Year

All-ACC (first team) (coaches & media)

One of the last Wanny recruited players. What a way to exit…..stage left !!!

HTP !
VeV !

Comment by Emel 04.15.14 @ 6:53 pm

Now, that thing about “SAVAGE HATER.”

Comment by PittofDreams 04.15.14 @ 6:58 pm

Tj Clemmings was also a Wanny recruit

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 7:10 pm

Emel, please, please, please, don ‘t leave me hanging. Who could you possibly be talking about? Probably somebody from the National Champs FSU squad, right???

Comment by Dr. Tom 04.15.14 @ 7:58 pm

Jerry McCullough about to be named Director of BB Operations at USF working for his Pitt teammate, O Antigua.

Apparently, Roerrsen is a close friend of Calipari according to a tweet I just read. Now things are making a little more sense

Comment by wbb 04.15.14 @ 8:58 pm

Gotta wonder if the poor UK fans are crying about Orlando and all his recruits leaving like some of you Pitt fans are?

Probably not.

Comment by Pitt2Cali 04.15.14 @ 10:19 pm

Good for Jerry McCullough! One of my all time favorites!

Comment by Gordo 04.16.14 @ 12:20 am

Some good examples of the Wanny recruits that panned out. Many more spent more time in jail than on the field.

Comment by TX Panther 04.16.14 @ 6:55 am

Why no official word On Slice? Seems a bit odd.

Jahmahl Pardner leaves soon after he is mentioned as recovered from injury and making the 2 deep. Again, odd.

Another comment that Jaryd Jones got a lot of snaps but is not ready for prime time. Shouldn’t our back-ups be ready to play? Especially when O-linemen get dinged up routinely and need to sit down for a play or two. I railed early on about Hollins last year, before any mention of Bisno injury, he just wasn’t getting it done. Then they put DJ in against the best D-end in the conference and he gets schooled. Finally in desperation they put in Hollins, a fifth year senior with experience and he does a reasonable job.

Does make you wonder about Hueber. There are a lot of other big guys waiting in the wings who never get mentioned. Makes you wonder if they are overlooking someone this year. If Bisno does not heal or as Emel mentioned he is not what he is cracked up to be. How bad will it be?

You also have to expect that one or more of the big guys will get hurt and miss some PT. Will our back-ups be ready?

You also have to wonder if Hollins would have been the starter from the get-go, does Bisno hurt his back, does DJ’s redshirt get burned etc? How many fewer sacks are made?

You never know about linemen, sometimes the stars don’t pan out and the journeymen do fine, just ask the Steelers.

They didn’t want Rowell to be the guy last year, lucky for us/them he did not quit. Their other big guy never played a down.

Watched a little of the show on the NFL draft last night. Words of praise for Donald and Savage. Great to see PITT mentioned frequently.

Pitt2Cali, what’s your point, pretty obvious that Kentucky will always get 5 star players. Obvious as well that we struggle with or without Slice.

Even if he stays, no guarantee we get all the guys listed in the so-called pipeline.

Comment by gc 04.16.14 @ 8:04 am

I didn’t read the rest of the comments, but just spotted this about the proposed NCAA changes:

In other moves, the committee approved:

• A measure requiring football players to get a three-hour break between preseason practices. Film sessions and team meetings still could be held during the break;

• require a school staff member who is certified in CPR, first aid and arterial external defibrillation to be present at all physical, countable athletic activities;

• and require strength and conditioning coaches to be certified by a nationally accredited certification organization.

If approved, the proposals, except the one regarding strength and conditioning coaches, would take effect Aug. 1. The committee has recommended giving strength and conditioning coaches until Aug. 1, 2015, to complete their certification.

Guess our S&C guy might need to get certified.

Comment by BigEgg 04.16.14 @ 8:14 am

@Denny, There is no comparison with the way Slice is leaving and the way Howland left. I never questioned Howland for taking his dream job, but he quit at the exact moment that caused the most damage. One day we were headed for the Final 4 with a united team and the next the next we lose with our forward pouting, sitting on the floor with his shoes off. Howland screwed us on the way out and even tried to take Dixon with him. Slice has a better offer and the timing doesn’t effect the current team. Apples to oranges.

Comment by spiritofsection22 04.16.14 @ 8:25 am

@Pitt2Cali, I certainly haven’t cried about Slice, said it was disappointing, but next guy up!! Only made one comment.

However, I believe comparing Antiqua’s loss at Kentucky to Pitt losing Rohrsen is comparing apples to pineapples.

Kentucky gets recruits, because they are “KENTUCKY”. Even if Calipari left, Kentucky would still get top 10 classes.

Rohrsen meant a lot more to Pitt, than any assistant would ever mean to Kentucky.

Comment by Dan 04.16.14 @ 8:54 am

Why is Penn State so fascinated with rape? In addition to you know who …

- they hire a new FB coach who had to deny alleged rape cover-up of his players at Vanderbilt

- they hire a new Prez from FSU who has to deny any knowledge about the Jameis Winston investigation.

Comment by wbb 04.16.14 @ 9:50 am

Will Woody Allen become the next Dean of Theater Arts?

Comment by wbb 04.16.14 @ 9:57 am

I guess recruiting should be going now that spring practices are over. Not sure the dates or any possibilities.

Comment by Frank MD 04.16.14 @ 10:53 am

I heard that Roman Polanski is a child law professor up at Happy Valley.

Comment by Dan 04.16.14 @ 11:00 am

That’s a very interesting observation wbb.

Both those guys could have been or would have been having to answer some very interesting questions about the goings on involving their football programs.

And here comes along Pedo State……and bails them both out and neither they nor their universities will have to answer some very uncomfortable questions.

Very interesting………

Comment by Emel 04.16.14 @ 11:12 am

Birds of a feather….

Comment by gc 04.16.14 @ 11:18 am

Long story about the Winston investigation or lack thereof:

link to nytimes.com

Comment by gc 04.16.14 @ 11:23 am

After watching that FSU grad DA’s press conference last year, that whole thing reeked of a ‘coverup’.

What a disgusting display that was.

Comment by Emel 04.16.14 @ 11:27 am

Look at these 2 cornpones.

link to thebiglead.com

Comment by Emel 04.16.14 @ 11:29 am

Had not seen that Emel. Really made a joke of the situation. Unreal.

Money and celebrity trump the legal system almost every time.

Comment by gc 04.16.14 @ 11:35 am

I just got back from Puerto Rico and saw Sam Young drop 37 points while playing there. There is no way he doesn’t belong on an NBA roster. His fake is still incredible, the jumper was on and he’s athletic.

Comment by Pittastic 04.16.14 @ 11:46 am

Feature article over at ESPN about ACC hoops. Not exactly flattering.

link to espn.go.com

Comment by Emel 04.16.14 @ 11:47 am

Spirit — you’ll have to give me the rest of the story. I never attributed Zavackas pouting to anything Howland had done. At 23 years old, you’re kind of responsible for your own actions. But perhaps there’s something I don’t know.

I remember Howland begging Pitt to hire Jamie. Sure, had we not, he would have followed Howland to UCLA, but Howland wanted Jamie at Pitt.

I don’t have a problem with Rohrssen or Howland leaving for another job. You simply have to do what you think will make you happy.

Comment by denny 04.16.14 @ 11:53 am

Howland or Roerrsen leaving doesn’t bother me. except for ..

- Howland could haved done it in a classier manner

- I hate to see Slice’s leaving lead to Heron decomitting (although he has every right to)

But, as we all should be now be totally aware, coaches and players come and they leave …. and as a fan, if I want to pout about losing a really good propsect .. I will do it, damnit!

Comment by wbb 04.16.14 @ 12:06 pm

I thought we got the better guy with Jamie Dixon when Ben Howland left for UCLA. About assistant coaches, they all aspire for head coaching jobs and they will leave whenever they have better opportunities. I care more about the recruits. Hopefully we can keep them.

Comment by Justinian 04.16.14 @ 12:16 pm

I am not that forgiving regarding Slice. If it was a head coaching job, OK, but I think he owes a little more loyalty to Jamie and Pitt. Two years from now OK, but recruiting takes a longer commitment than one year.

Howland got UCLA, one of the bluebloods and he is a west coast guy, a once in a lifetime chance. Could he have held off on acceptance or kept quiet, not likely with media coverage.

Comment by gc 04.16.14 @ 12:32 pm

Tyrone Haughton ?@44tyrone 1h
I just signed my NLI ????

Comment by xfmrman 04.16.14 @ 12:37 pm

this is a tweet from Pantherlair’s Matt Steinbrink who earlier reported on Monday that Slice going to UK was a done deal

Matthew Steinbrink ?@MattSteinbrink ·Apr 14
Last update of the night; Rohrssen is torn and this could go either way. Still think he is probably gone but we should have decision soon.

Comment by wbb 04.16.14 @ 12:40 pm

Rohrssen, Rice, Skerry, Herrion, all got a shot after being mentored by Dixon. That’s a pretty decent track record.

Comment by gc 04.16.14 @ 12:47 pm

If you live near a Wingstop here you go:

Free Wings !!!

link to wingstop.fbmta.com

Comment by Emel 04.16.14 @ 1:30 pm

Concur with gc @ 12:32

One day you’re talking up Pitt to recruits and the next day UK. Something is basically wrong with that.

There’s a lot I don’t like about revenue making bigtime college sports. It’s a sleezy business.
That’s just me.

Comment by Emel 04.16.14 @ 1:39 pm

This from a Sea of Blue blog:

“Barry Rohrssen appears to be headed to Kentucky to replace the now-departed Orlando Antigua. According to Ben Roberts, that places UK in a great position for 5-star power forward Cheick Diallo.”

Little more in-depth here:

link to ukrecruiting.bloginky.com

Comment by Emel 04.16.14 @ 1:45 pm

Say it ain’t so Slice. Prove me wrong buddy !

Comment by Emel 04.16.14 @ 1:46 pm

Emel — I certainly agree. I would love for him to stay. It seems like a selfish decision without knowing all the details. I just don’t see a real upside to jumping ship and going to Kentucky. The money’s the same — allegedly — and most of his kids will be on the team for just a year.

It was my understanding that Diallo was high on Pitt because of his relationship with Damon Wilson, who is a Brandon Knight recruit. I’m not so sure landing Rohrssen gives them the inside track on that kid. However, they are Kentucky and seem to get whoever they want.

Comment by denny 04.16.14 @ 2:01 pm

Some good news; another Syracuse starter has declared for the NBA draft.

And so it goes. Sophomore forward Jerami Grant is forgoing his final two seasons with the Syracuse Orange and going pro, per Pete Thamel. The official announcement is expected later today.

Son Of Harvey, Nephew Of Horace is being projected anywhere between 15th and 25th in most 2014 NBA Draft mock drafts.

Didn’t know he Harvey Grant’s kid.

That means Cusey is losing 3 starters, Grant, Tyler Ennis & CJ Fair. Nice !!!

And they had a very thin bench so nut much waiting in the wings. They could be worse than us next year.

Comment by Emel 04.16.14 @ 2:03 pm

Well, if history is any indicator, we will lose Rohrrsen, Heron, Diallo and wouldn’t be surprised if Wilson goes (even though he’s a Knight recruit) if Kentucky wants him, that is. The rich get richer.

Sorry to be so cynical … but I have come to expect the worst. Can’t blame JD for hiring very capable and attractive assistants, and then losing them to better programs.

Comment by wbb 04.16.14 @ 2:14 pm

@wbb, with our luck, they’ll offer to Diallo, and he’ll say, “I’ll come if you give my buddy Wilson a spot too. We’re a package deal.”

I can see it now!!