February 14, 2014

Interesting.

The move to hire Troy Douglas as Defensive Backs Coach was made official. But with it, a little bit of adjusting to the coaching duties.

Chryst also streamlined positional assignments for Pitt’s defensive staff. In addition to coordinating the defense, Matt House will work with the linebackers. Chris Haering will coach the outside linebackers and serve as special teams coordinator. On the defensive line, Inoke Breckterfield will continue to coach the tackles and John Palermo will focus on the ends.

Chryst additionally announced that Desmond Robinson, who served as player personnel director this past season, will not be returning to Pitt’s staff.

Question. When did “streamline” become popular verbiage in football circles? Living in the Cleveland area I couldn’t help but absorb the Browns-Jimmy Haslam stuff this week. Haslam kept emphasizing the front office being streamlined. There was one position eliminated (CEO spot held by Joe Banner). Two people fired, but only one position eliminated.

Now Pitt has “streamlined” essentially be completing the phase out of Desmond Robinson. Otherwise, I’m not seeing “streamlined.”

Sorry, bit of a tangent but this was bothering me.

Pitt officially has a special teams coach. Now things will be better in that area. That, or we now know who to demand to fire next year. So, yay?

Back to Mr. Douglas.

Douglas is not unfamiliar with Pitt or members of the coaching staff. He worked with House at Michigan State during the 2001 and ’02 seasons. Additionally, as a standout receiver at Appalachian State (1983-86), he spent one season with Palermo, who was the assistant head coach at ASU during Douglas’ freshman season.

“I’m incredibly excited to join Pitt and return to the ACC,” Douglas said. “Coach Chryst is taking the program in an upward direction and I’m looking forward to contributing to that effort. I’m also excited about the opportunity to join the defensive staff at Pitt. Matt [House] and I worked together previously and J.P. [John Palermo] coached at Appalachian State when I played there. I know Inoke [Breckterfield] from the recruiting trail. It’s a great group of coaches and people and I can’t wait to join them.”

In a phone conversation with media, he spoke of not covering receivers, but getting interceptions.

“Pass breakups, they’re nice, and a lot of times they’re needed, especially on big third-down plays,” Douglas said. “But interceptions, that’s what gets the pretty girls. Everybody likes those picks, but you’ve got to teach it in practice and you’ve got to throw them a lot of balls.”

He said every drill the defensive backs do in practice will involve a football, and he’ll recruit players who played offense in high school and are used to handling a football.

“Our job as a defense is to get the ball back to our offense,” Douglas said. “We will attack the football. There’s no such thing as a defensive back that can’t catch.”

When Douglas coached DBs at UNC there were plenty of interceptions. Not so much at Iowa State, but that may have had something to do with the corners themselves.

Douglas said he likes the look of his new defensive backs, noting Pitt has “young cornerbacks who are long … which is a lot different than what I had at Iowa State. Paul (Rhoads, Iowa State coach) used to take those kids who looked like they were on the boat ride in Disney World.”

The starting corners for Iowa State last year were 5-10 and 5-9 (and on the two-deep they had a 5-7 corner).

Lafayette Pitts is 5-11. But Titus Howard is 6-1 and Trenton Coles is 6-3.  Slightly longer. Still. “Boat ride in Disney World.” Wow.

Douglas is from Florida. He is certainly going to be recruiting there and in the Southeast. This looks like a great fit at the spot and for recruiting geography.

Good to see Chris son of “snortz” Haering taking control of special teams.

Comment by alcofan 02.14.14 @ 8:35 am

I am confused. So, Desmond Robinson has left Pitt entirely or is now an office guy who does recruiting?

H2P

Comment by pmdH2P 02.14.14 @ 8:38 am

“It’s a small world after all.” Gotta love the refreshing lack of political correctness.

Comment by 66Goat 02.14.14 @ 9:31 am

Love the Disney World comment. The assumption is that Rhoads was recruiting kids from “It’s a Small World” but maybe he was going after Johnny Depp lookalikes from “Pirates of the Caribbean”?!?!

Comment by CalvinHobbes 02.14.14 @ 9:44 am

I love the sense of humor. He appears to be way intense, but will keep the kids laughing while he kicks their butts. Also, a guy who seems comfortable enough to walk into any living room and recruit.

H2P and H2Troy

Comment by pmdH2P 02.14.14 @ 9:50 am

Where are all the guys that were complaining about no focus on FL? Maybe Chryst reads the Blather with his morning coffee.

This is an awesome pickup even though it is within the circle of friends. Should be a super fit and fill two big needs.

Wonder how Henry’s mom is feeling now? Ecstatic about the interceptions comment, let’s go get some pretty girls.

Love to hear the back story on Robinson.

Hope Campbell signs on the dotted line and the boys are putting on muscle.

Comment by gc 02.14.14 @ 10:05 am

love it, sounds like a great recruiter.

Comment by Dacs 02.14.14 @ 10:15 am

Recruiting is the name of the game. However from everything I’ve read about Troy Douglas, he’s a very good defensive secondary coach, as well as being a good recruiter. The hire looks to be a good one. Now let’s see who Pitt hires to take Bobby Engram’s place to coach the wide receivers.

On another note, I keep seeing references to Henry’s mother’s comments. What went on there?

Comment by Justinian 02.14.14 @ 10:30 am

gc, I was one of the guys who was complaining about no Florida focus just like I was exactly a year ago when an unqualified assistant was promoted to DC, heading an inexperienced coaaching staff.

And you know what … I (we) were freaking right! Too bad it had to take a year to do something about it.

Comment by wbb 02.14.14 @ 10:34 am

It takes some guys a little more time to get it right.

Comment by gc 02.14.14 @ 10:53 am

The pitt WR coach is hard nut to crack i have looked every were tweet any one and every one Erik Campbell is the only name i could get he was in the mix was the statement.

Well mix means more then one but i cant get the outher names when chryst clamps his lips they stay shut i am shocked we got campbells name.

I will keep trying but no one is giveing up names if they even know.

Comment by Frankcan 02.14.14 @ 11:40 am

Nice move by PC, nice post, good comments. We knew Chryst was going to develop as HC… and that is one of the nicest things we are seeing this off season… growth,… and the appearance that they are critically self-evaluating and correcting.

Great DB coach
strong recruiter
… florida and southeast…
Special teams focus
clean up apparent lack of attention to detail in administration of recruiting…

I think this guy is a potential DC as well if House does not develop the way Chryst wants…

Comment by Pittscript 02.14.14 @ 11:43 am

Pittscript
That is so true he would be a better DC then house.

Comment by Frankcan 02.14.14 @ 11:49 am

@gc… right on. Henry’s mother clearly ‘wore the pants’ in that family (I say this playfully not harshly) and was sold by WVU over Pitt.

OK… good for Gibson, shame on Pitt coaches.

That move by Henry just does not make sense and it never did… for a million reasons….

…so you have to think Chryst took a hard look at that in multiple ways.

Now Henry is at WVU where:

– he is going to get scorched every week in the B-12 given that defense and how the offenses play

– good luck watching your son play ball as he traveling 1000 miles to dust bowls around the country

– he is now an afterthought in pittsburgh

– now the the WVU Defensive coordinator Patterson has jumped ship (back to Graham at AZ state)…

– the HC and the athletic director look like they are on their way out…

meanwhile he could have been at Pitt and been part of the young crew of Top Guns in this program with all that goes with that.

Now with this hire… even more so.

buyer remorse…??

Comment by Pittscript 02.14.14 @ 11:50 am

He sounds, looks and has the resume of someone who can help Pitt get better both in recruiting and in the actual performance on the field. I love the hire.

I like the shifting of duties on defense as well although I think it is not much of an impact.

From the Post-Gazette article it sounds like House had a lot to do with picking and hiring of Douglas. I think that says a lot about how much Chryst trusts House. I think House is here (at DC) to stay for a while.

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 02.14.14 @ 11:50 am

Wbb so true a whole year what a waste if he had done this a year ago i bet we would have won 3 more games.

Comment by Frankcan 02.14.14 @ 11:53 am

Bowling Green Panther.
you are right becuse Douglas will now make house look better the D will now improve.
As i posted above i have now turned to finding out who the WR coach will be that will be a very important hire and i hate waiting .

Comment by Frankcan 02.14.14 @ 11:59 am

Re: House. Part of being a successful boss is hiring good people. You have to like House’s hire here. Yes there were some obvious growing pains last year, but thankfully that is past us. Looking forward to an improved D in 2014!

Comment by Atlanta Panther 02.14.14 @ 12:21 pm

Chas, have you streamlined? What happened to Mike?

Comment by wbb 02.14.14 @ 12:27 pm

He is from Jacksonville fellas..Jacksonville is essentially a hick town in Georgia. I hope he can recruit South Florida. That is where the pay dirt is.

Comment by Upittbaseball 02.14.14 @ 12:38 pm

@Upitt

Hey. I am still thinking that we all be there for the Final Four. We are going to blast into March and run the tourney. If not, can you take some pics at TwinPeaks for me? :-)

H2P

Comment by pmdH2P 02.14.14 @ 12:57 pm

PMD – I like this hire. I hope he makes in roads in SFLA. Yes, I still think this year we get a easy seeding and get to final four. I am ready for you guys! Twin Peaks it is! That is just starters… LOL.

Have a great weekend all.

Comment by Upittbaseball 02.14.14 @ 1:16 pm

Frankly, all of Chryst’s (or House’s) Coaching moves make sense, especially when you look a little deeper into the moves.

House to Middle Backers…

House puts the majority of the responbility for calling his Defenses, including PASS DEFENSES… on the Middle Backer. If you remember this was identified as a HUGE PROBLEM in the Florida State game last year where it became known after the game that Shane Gordon had a lot of trouble identifying the CORRECT Pass Protections and communicating them effectively to the D-Backs… and then knowing where to go himself. Confusion reigned and Jameis Winston benefited.

Haering to Outside Linebackers and Special Teams…

Outside Backers, especially the ones who can run, can be the MOST VALUED contributors to Kick Off and Punt Coverage. Goodness knows there was a few problems there last year.

Breckterfield D-Tackles… Palermo D-Ends…

Based upon his resume coming in, it was a given that Inoke knew a little about PLAYING D-Tackle. Based upon the Year Aaron Donald had… seems that despite those critical of his hire… Inoke knows a little about Coaching too. This will allow him to Coach what he knows BEST… always a good thing.

Troy Douglas Defensive Secondary…

With the premium placed on the Passing Game in the ACC, what about having a Coach available for a little ONE-ON-ONE TIME with players during games? Makes perfect sense to me.

Personally, I’m looking forward to the return of a new, improved, MOTIVATED Lafayette Pitts. The sky is the limit with Douglas showing the way.

Comment by PittofDreams 02.14.14 @ 1:23 pm

PittScript, I think you stated that well about the things Henry has to look forward to. Over a year ago, when someone posted that he wished Robert Foster well. I responded that I care about the local players who chose to play here at Pitt. I couldn’t care less about players at Alabama, Notre Dame, etc. I think Tyler Boyd made a better choice than Foster.

Comment by Justinian 02.14.14 @ 1:56 pm

Justian – We will see on draft day and what they each sign for if drafted. Foster will start this year and will have 100k+ eyes on him each game and millions watching on the tube. Exposure is only part of it so we shall see if 2-3 years.

Comment by Upittbaseball 02.14.14 @ 2:23 pm

Upittbaseball,It’s a possibility, but I doubt it. He may not start until his junior or senior year if at all. Tyler Boyd stayed home, played and made an impact immediately, he made the All-ACC team and he is a star as a freshman. Not bad for a guy who stayed at home. Also professional scouts don’t only notice players at Alabama. Case in point, Larry Fitzgerald, Darrell Revis, and LaShaun McCoy.

Comment by Justinian 02.14.14 @ 2:45 pm

New RB Coach. Chryst now coaching QBs.

link to pittsburghpanthers.com

Comment by Mailman 02.14.14 @ 2:50 pm

Has anyone seen the spread on tomorrow’s game?

H2P

Comment by pmdH2P 02.14.14 @ 2:51 pm

Wow, Mailman. More big news. Thanks for finding this.

H2P

Comment by pmdH2P 02.14.14 @ 3:01 pm

Justian – Like I said we will have to wait and see. I don’t mind the kids who decide to leave if that is best for them. We will see. We have to see what Foster does this season. They gave him Julio’s number and that doesn’t happen by accident.

Comment by Upittbaseball 02.14.14 @ 3:10 pm

I never heard of John Settle in my life, Am I in the minority here? Anyone know of him as a player or coach?

Comment by Upittbaseball 02.14.14 @ 3:11 pm

@Upitt

Only what I read in the link that Mailman provided. He is a Wisconsin guy—so some of our buddies on here will go nuts about this. But, he played in the NFL, was an AllStar one year. And, has been running back coach for the Carolina Panthers and the Cleveland Browns. So, good stuff as far as I am concerned.

H2P

Comment by pmdH2P 02.14.14 @ 3:16 pm

So, we swapped a Running Backs coach for a Quarterbacks Coach…right? I don’t remember having a RB coach last year — does anyone else?

I know Chryst is good with the quarterbacks, but I do prefer having a specific coach for such an important position. I guess we’ll see how it works.

Comment by Hank the Tank 02.14.14 @ 3:17 pm

Settle not only is qualified, he is from the southeast (NC) giving us more presence in the ACC footprint. Now, if we can finish with Soup Campbell as WR coach who has ties in the midwest, this staff will by quite an upgrade from what is was.

Even if they don’t get Campble, it seems that PC is making better hires.

Comment by wbb 02.14.14 @ 3:27 pm

Not the end of the world but Settle was just fired by Carolina.

link to charlotteobserver.com

Comment by Upittbaseball 02.14.14 @ 3:28 pm

Sounds like a major upgrade to me. The guy made a pro bowl and has a super bowl ring and has a strong coaching resume. UPitt never heard of him so how could he be any good? LOL

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed again?

Comment by gc 02.14.14 @ 3:31 pm

Upitt – exposure and fans in the seats are irrelevant to NFL draft status it is about performance on the field and measurable numbers. From that point Boyd is way ahead of Foster who hasn’t stepped on the field yet. NFL scouts could cares less about Bama being on TV and their attendance numbers.

Comment by steve 02.14.14 @ 3:33 pm

And now the big question …. how attractive are Douglas and Settle’s wives?

Comment by wbb 02.14.14 @ 3:37 pm

@Justinian, agreed. I mean, I guess I wish them all well, kinda like I wish humanity well.

Never met them, don’t know their family. If I did, then sure, I’d follow them.

Other than that, if you’re not playing for Pitt, I’m not interested at all in what your doing.

If I see a news blurb about them, I’ll read it and say “good for him”. Other than that????

I remember the Robert Foster guy last year. He was a troll. He was on here for about two weeks practically making love to the kid, the kids coaches and the kids high school.

Had to be a family or friend.

Comment by Dan 02.14.14 @ 3:40 pm

Comment by Hank the Tank 02.14.14 @ 3:17 pm

Joe Rudolph, the OC, coached RBs last year. He is now going to be coaching TEs. I don’t know who the TE coach WAS.

Comment by Mailman 02.14.14 @ 3:46 pm

Upitt, Settle was fired last January.

Comment by cas myzlinski 02.14.14 @ 3:47 pm

@wbb

Funny

H2P

Comment by pmdH2P 02.14.14 @ 3:50 pm

Like the new coaching moves.

We still have an unqualified D.Coordinator. We can all hope that changes soooner or later…. :-(

Comment by The Truth 02.14.14 @ 3:52 pm

one of the competencies of a boss is surrounding himself with talent. No doubt House is a work-in-progress but appears to be headed in the right direction … and this is from a person who was appalled with House’s promotion a year ago.

It may be that I’m just so pleasantly surprised by these recent hires

Comment by wbb 02.14.14 @ 4:08 pm

good pick up Mailman way to go. i like the new RB coach but i dont like chryst coaching the QB .
I still think he should fire one of the D line coach the one who coachs the DT and let the one who coachs the DE coach the whole line then we could hire a real QB coach.

Comment by Frankcan 02.14.14 @ 4:18 pm

here is tweet from Werner PG just a short time ago:

Sam Werner? @SWernerPG Chryst on WR coach search: “Getting close, still going through a couple of guys.” #Pitt

Comment by wbb 02.14.14 @ 4:25 pm

FWIW frankcan. the Steelers many times have not had a QB coach.

Comment by wbb 02.14.14 @ 4:28 pm

off subject but what the hell pitt has offered a new center for basketball Tyrone Haughton he is a JC player from a iowa cc he is 6 foot 9 210 pounds

Comment by Frankcan 02.14.14 @ 4:31 pm

Steve – I didn’t say that was all that matters. The combine is what matters and the performance on the field. We will see this fall.

Comment by Upittbaseball 02.14.14 @ 4:32 pm

Wbb i know but i just think if you want to have a top QB come to your school a QB coach who was in the NFL gives you a better chance of recruiting him just my view.

Comment by Frankcan 02.14.14 @ 4:36 pm

Wbb do most schools have one coach for the D line i dont know that we need a coch for the DE and one for the DT let one coach coach the line and get rid of the outher then we have room for a QB coach

Comment by Frankcan 02.14.14 @ 4:43 pm

Kinda surprised by Bollinger’s departure. Settle is yet another Mountaineer…App St., that is.

Comment by Iron Duke 02.14.14 @ 4:45 pm

wbb, Fortunately I don’t expect, “how hot the wives are” is major part of the coaching selection criteria at Pitt. What an idiot Franklin is, can you imagine a head coach in a major metropolitan area making a statement like that. It’s beyond stupid.

I like the fact that Chryst is being active in bringing in experienced assistant coaches. Also he seems to be addressing different recruiting areas North Carolina and Florida, in ACC country.

Comment by Justinian 02.14.14 @ 4:51 pm

Settle looks like another good hire for the coaching staff. I think we had fairly decent recruiting class but so far 2 nice additions to the coaching staff. Lost our best recruiter but added a couple decent ones as well.

Chryst, Settle and Rudolph sure have produced a lot of 1,000 backs over the last 15 years. Hope that trend continues.
In a perfect world, I agree with frankcan: drop a d-line coach and hire a qb coach. Especially since Palermo doesn’t recruit much on the road that I know of.

But there’s a lot of teams that don’t have a qb coach. Chryst certainly seems qualified. Maybe not this year…I could see Palermo retiring next year.

Get a another decent recruiter at wr coach & I really like what Chryst has done with the staff.

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 02.14.14 @ 4:52 pm

Should have an early line on the game tomorrow around 7PM from Vegas. Personally I would make NC about a 6 point fave.

Comment by Dan 72 02.14.14 @ 5:05 pm

pmdH2P, I just saw the spread on the Pitt vs NC game tomorrow…Pitt is favored by 1.5 for the first 39 minutes and 50 seconds of the game, then the spread moves to NC by 2 for the final 10 DAMN SECONDS!

Comment by HbgFrank 02.14.14 @ 5:08 pm

@Frankcan, What do you know about Haughton and the chances he would choose Pitt?

Comment by spiritofsection22 02.14.14 @ 5:15 pm

UNC -3.5 tomorrow.

Comment by Mailman 02.14.14 @ 5:33 pm

@HbgFrank, hilarious!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 02.14.14 @ 5:37 pm

hbg……………..Sad but true.

Comment by Justinian 02.14.14 @ 5:52 pm

@HbgFrank, FUNNY! If only the final seconds Pitt defense would have been five guys standing abreast firmly grasping each other’s hands at midcourt, while chanting, Red Rover, Red Rover send that prick Ennis over, we would have been celebrating upsetting the #1 team in the nation on Saturday, BUT NOOOO! LOL

Comment by Dr. Tom 02.14.14 @ 5:59 pm

Like the Settle hire as I think most will. Don’t think I saw this in the comments but Douglas has also recruited D.C. and Northen Virginia which is just an added bonus to Florida.

Comment by Gordo 02.14.14 @ 7:24 pm

Well primarily Northern Florida. Might have some connections still in N.C. as recruited kids from there too. Solid, experienced coach. Good get Chryst!

Comment by Gordo 02.14.14 @ 7:32 pm

New GA for Pitt is ex Wisconsin QB John Budmayr. I’m sure he will aid PC in mentoring QBs.

Comment by wbb 02.14.14 @ 7:41 pm

Any of you guys going to be at the game tomorrow? Emel?

Would be awesome to get a win at the Dean Center.

We need Patterson and Zanna to come out,stay and finish hot.

Comment by gc 02.14.14 @ 8:01 pm

link to msn.foxsports.com

Check this out, sounds like trouble for Winston and the Tallahassee Police.

Comment by gc 02.14.14 @ 8:08 pm

I’m joining the Tea Party

link to espn.go.com

Comment by steve1 02.14.14 @ 8:15 pm

Dr. Tom, As funny as it sounds, the 4 guys abreast at mid court, just two stationary guys that would have made him alter his direction. That alone would have been sufficient. He would have zig back and with only 4.5 seconds there wouldn’t be enough time. Oh well.

Comment by Justinian 02.14.14 @ 8:41 pm

Steve, Is there a bigger screw-up than Joe Biden? I hope Ennis didn’t take the call. If he did he probably had listen to him and that’s cruel and unusual punishment. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone………..even Ennis.

Comment by Justinian 02.14.14 @ 8:54 pm

Justinian, then who watches the other guys? There were 2 Cuse guys under the basket when Ennis shot?

Comment by wbb 02.14.14 @ 9:01 pm

the Winston case reminds me of the Big Ben case down in Georgia when the girl was too drunk to remember anything. The Georgia DA thought there was some impropriety however couldn’t prove rape was committed.

If the girl can’t recall too much and there were no marks or signs of abuse, I’m not sure what can be proven.

Comment by wbb 02.14.14 @ 9:07 pm

wbb This season with the way the Panthers’ luck has been, I don’t know if eight guys on the court would have helped. Even with the two guys under the basket, the time expired while the ball was in the air. So the game’s over, before they could catch it.

Comment by Justinian 02.14.14 @ 9:28 pm

Dr. Tom, We played Red Rover one night in the wee hours, after a party. Not…a good idea! At least not a smart thing to do with inebriated ex-football players.

Comment by Justinian 02.14.14 @ 9:36 pm

Nice discussion on Chryst’s coaching decisions.

link to pittsburgh.rivals.com

Comment by Justinian 02.14.14 @ 9:51 pm

spirit i was off line not much we just offered in the last 2 days but hell we have offered for 2014 and 2015 at lest 5 centers and we have 3 on the team all ready counting the 6 foot 11 commit.
He is the second JC center we have offered and we have offered a 7 foot 1 center for 2015 and two 6 foot 9 centers i guess if they all said yes we would have the tallest team in the usa ha ha

Comment by Frankcan 02.14.14 @ 10:01 pm

Here is a thought for you all you saw how fast chryst hired Douglas becuse house knew him and the D line coach knew him.
And you see how fast he hired settle the RB coach becuse becuse he knew him and coached with him self.

Well chryst is still interviewing WR coaching candidates what does that tell us ?
It tell us that the WR coach who ever he is has not coached with chris and has not coached with any one on the staff.
Becuse if he had chryst chryst would have hired him bye now.
Just a thought some thing i see or think.

Comment by Frankcan 02.14.14 @ 10:23 pm

(2) Arizona 66

Arizona State 69

Say it isn’t so!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by TVax 02.15.14 @ 7:34 am

We NEED the ASU coach NOW!!!!

F Sean Miller. We want the other Pgh. guy that we let get away. Probably smarter than JD and SM combined.

Comment by TVax 02.15.14 @ 7:45 am

In 7 years at ASU, NCAA once(2nd round), NIT thrice(best quarterfinals). Recruited James Harden.

At NC St. 10 years with 5 NCAA appearances (best sweet 16) and 4 NIT’s(1 semifinal).

What do y’all think?

Comment by TVax 02.15.14 @ 7:54 am

Herb is a really smart guy, he was a 4.0 Chem E at CMU back in the mid eighties. He has had nice career and built a winning program wherever he’s gone. But I’m not sure he’d be an upgrade over JD. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Herb is probably less charismatic than JD, I know, hard to believe.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 02.15.14 @ 8:00 am

Haha first time I’ve agreed with UPittbaseball, Jacksonville is part of Georgia (I lived in Tampa/Miami for years)

I agree with the comments that PC is really becoming a Head Coach, I am very optimistic about Pitt football.

Comment by Joe 02.15.14 @ 8:02 am

This paragraph from the nytimes says it all about Biden:

“To buttress his assertions of sincerity and openness, Mr. Biden released a 65-page file, obtained by the Senator from the Syracuse University College of Law, that he said contained all the records of his years there. It disclosed relatively poor grades in college and law school, mixed evaluations from teachers and details of the plagiarism.”

Comment by Boubacar Aw 02.15.14 @ 8:23 am

Despite the inability to score at the end of games. I am perplexed by the calls for another coach. Jamie Dixon has done a terrific job here at Pitt. Perfection is difficult to achieve. I’ll take my chances with Dixon.

Comment by Justinian 02.15.14 @ 8:23 am

About the football coaching announcements, I was surprised to hear about Bollinger leaving. I wonder how much Freebeck’s last minute defection played into it. Bollinger flew down to Florida for a home visit with Freebeck when he began to vacillate and sat with him during the following weekend basketball game at the Pete. A lot of time and energy goes into recruiting. Having a verbal commitment from a recruit in June and losing him the very last day before signing day had to be terribly discouraging.

Comment by Justinian 02.15.14 @ 8:32 am

Can Jamie get this team to believe in themselves after all the near misses? Bog chance today.

Comment by gc 02.15.14 @ 9:07 am

This is a Pitt blog not politics. Keep that stuff out of here.

Boubacar you aren’t sure that Herb Sendeck would be an upgrade over Dixon? So you think he is? If you do, I can’t take any of your basketball opinions seriously anymore. The two aren’t close.

Comment by Wardapalooza 02.15.14 @ 9:09 am

gc, I’m not optimistic about Pitt winning in Chapel Hill. North Carolina has a lot of athleticism and they are at home. Too bad the Duke game was canceled. I would rather the Panthers play them after an emotional game against the their arch-rival.

Comment by Justinian 02.15.14 @ 9:16 am

FWIW, Sendek accepted the ASU job after JD (and others) turned it down. Herb’s a good coach but let’s not make him John Wooden after an upset win. While he has a good resume, it pales to JD’s and JD coached in a tougher league.

BTW, did you note that the score was in the 60s after 2 OTs (2 Pgh coaches) … and also look at all the missed free throws. That game hardly passed the proverbial ‘eye test.’

Comment by wbb 02.15.14 @ 9:17 am

Arizona was 16 for 30 on free throws and lost in 2 OTs … wonder if that stat is being cited on the Zona blogs!

ASU was 15-26 which wasn’t much better.

Comment by wbb 02.15.14 @ 9:27 am

Justinian, interesting viewpoint about UNC’s emotional level. Also wonder about Pitt’s … do they come in focused and determined or are they still bitter and depressed?

Looking at the glass half-full .. maybe the Heels will come out a bit rusty after the layoff.

Comment by wbb 02.15.14 @ 9:33 am

Watching the USA-Russia hockey game and the US scored on two penalties by Ratalov. If the score holds up he should be named the American MVP. In another era he’d be sent off the Siberia!

Comment by Justinian 02.15.14 @ 9:37 am

We need to control the tempo, and that could tilt things our way because they aren’t the most disciplined or patient team. they are more athletic so if they control the pace they could get away from us.

We should be able to pick up some points at the line because they are free throw challenged at times.

Comment by spiritofsection22 02.15.14 @ 9:38 am

If the pattern continues that we beat the teams to whom we lost in football (and lose to the ones whom we beat in football), we get a win today.

I still have faith in the “blue and gold” boxers. They gave it their all on Wednesday night against the Orange.

H2P

Comment by pmdH2P 02.15.14 @ 9:39 am

Of course you must realize you CANNOT wash the boxers or the magic disappears!

Comment by Justinian 02.15.14 @ 9:49 am

I’m just wondering what the psychological toll of losing all these close games is. It is important to believe you are going to win.

Hard to believe when every time you get close, you have not been able to get it done. Now we have four of the last six on the road.

This should be a faster paced game today. Have not played an up tempo game for a while. Does Jamie try to slow it down or does he let the kids have some fun?

Comment by gc 02.15.14 @ 9:49 am

The Russians really got screwed on a beautiful goal being disallowed.

Comment by Justinian 02.15.14 @ 9:52 am

GC, I don’t think the Panthers will beat North Carolina in Chapel Hill. Despite that I’m not worried about Pitt’s psyche. I think they realize how well they played against Syracuse. They just need to finish and their freshmen need to finish on their inside shots.

Comment by Justinian 02.15.14 @ 10:01 am

Well I predicted that they had no chance of beating Syracuse or NC. They proved me wrong against Syracuse even though they lost, I’m hoping they prove me wrong with a win today.

No more predictions from me.

Comment by gc 02.15.14 @ 10:17 am

what a game!

Comment by wbb 02.15.14 @ 10:19 am

@Justinian

Again pulled from the hamper. Have lost track of how many times since being washed. If we win today, they stay crusty through March Madness.

H2P

Comment by pmdH2P 02.15.14 @ 10:34 am

One thing that everyone forgets, is that this Pitt team is playing a lot of freshmen. Typically the underclassmen get to learn more gradually. This group of freshmen are getting significant minutes and they will get better as the season goes on. Yes, the Panthers have lost a lot of very close games this year. But they are in them against some very good teams. I see the glass as half full. As the season continues, they will continue to get better.

Comment by Justinian 02.15.14 @ 11:08 am

I’d go with Pitt getting 4 and the over. Haven’t seen UNC much this year though.

Let’s get feeling good again!!!!

H2P!

Comment by TVax 02.15.14 @ 11:19 am

The hiring of John Settle as RunningBacks Coach is another GREAT GET for Chryst.

Interesting that he’s also from North Carolina. Combine that with the fact that Douglas is from Florida, and you see how the pieces are coming together as far as recruiting the ACC goes.

Always knew “MAN WITH A PLAN” to be a fitting description for Chryst.

Now everyone is getting a glimpse.

Comment by PittofDreams 02.15.14 @ 11:53 am

Brooks Bollinger will be missed however.

Despite his immediate decision to pursue a non-football opportunity back home, I do expect him to return to Coaching some day.

His record as a rookie Head Coach at the high school level speaks for itself… as does the success he had in helping to dramatically improve a couple of Pitt Quarterbacks.

Comment by PittofDreams 02.15.14 @ 11:58 am