February 12, 2014

7pm on ESPN.

Dave O’Brien and Doris Burke are the announcing crew, so it’s going to be all about the game.

You may have heard and will hear something about that 9-0 versus top-5 teams at the Pete. So that’s out there.

There’s also the fact that the last time Syracuse beat Pitt at the Pete was 10 years ago in a 48-45 mess of a game.

Questions abound on the overall health of the team. How severe is Lamar Patterson’s thumb injury, really? How is Talib Zanna’s ankle?

This will be the fourth straight game versus ACC teams that play at a slower tempo than Pitt. ACC purists can complain all they want about the change to their conference, but the slower tempo is really being driven by their own teams not Pitt and Syracuse.

Love Sean Miller.

He got bounced in the first round at Xavier, and

he just got bounced first round with Arizona in 2011-2012.

I’m not quite ready to put him in Adolph Rupp’s or Dean Smith’s categories.

Also, with Boeheim and Miller having this incredible talent, shouldn’t they be winning National Championship’s after National Championship?

I mean, they should be perennially in the Final Four.

They must be under-achieving coaches I guess?

Comment by Dan 02.13.14 @ 4:30 pm

ha ha ha LMAO!!! My apologies, my apologies.

Miller didn’t get bounced in the first round of the NCAA tourney in 2011-2012………

He got bounced in the first round of the N.I.T. in 2011-2012!!!!

LOL Again, my sincerest apologies.

Comment by Dan 02.13.14 @ 4:34 pm

Dan – Joke all you want. My point is valid. Yes Dixon has had Boheim’s number. In the same breath Calhoun had Dixon’s number. The point is the program is stuck and if we just added talent to the mix instead of coaching them up guys we would be better off. Ennis may or may not go pro. Fair has been there 2-3 years and he is awesome. We need to recruit better and let the kids play.

Comment by Upittbaseball 02.13.14 @ 6:01 pm

After all of the analysis, debate, critical reviews and final thoughts on the subject, one constant remains,,,,,,

Tell me, anyone of you that read this post, who wouldn’t want to trade places with this kid named Ennis who just made some enduring Syracuse history last night??? Think he may be living large today back at campus?

I really don’t care what team you hold close to your soul, that buzzer beater is the essence of why most of us follow the drama of sports. Last night was classic, it just is too frickin bad that Pitt ended up on the short end of the equation this time.

But In every case, the sign off for me is always the same, because I loved the time spent at my alma mater back in the day, Hail To Pitt!

Comment by Dr. Tom 02.13.14 @ 7:20 pm

None of my posts were joking at all, except that Arizona one, where I mistakenly said they lost in the first round of NCAA, when I looked again, I noticed it was the NIT.

Comment by Dan 02.13.14 @ 7:56 pm

No, you are incorrect!!!

Dixon v. Calhoun 7-7 how does Calhoun have Dixon’s number??

If you want to through in last year, Pitt beat UCONN with Ollie as coach,

so, Dixon is 8-7 all time vs. UCONN.

Comment by Dan 02.13.14 @ 7:57 pm

We win against nobody’s??

Could you please name me one NCAA team who doesn’t have 10 wins against nobody’s??

Arizona out of conference wins:

Cal Poly
Long Beach State
Fairleigh Dickinson
Rhode Island
Drexel
Texas Tech
Las Vegas
New Mexico State
Southern
Northern Arizona

They played Duke and Michigan. Great, it’s not like they don’t have their share of nobody’s, no???

I want a good home and home as much as anyone, but, come on, every team plays 10 rent a wins.

Comment by Dan 02.13.14 @ 8:04 pm

Also, I don’t think Boeheim or Calhoun won any National Championship till their 23rd or 24th year coaching.

Too tired to look it up, they’re both around there.

Comment by Dan 02.13.14 @ 8:06 pm

Final thought. Of course, I want better recruits, better outcomes in the tourney, but, there are some posts on here that make Pitt out to be some second hand rag, when in fact for the last 12 years they’ve been a consistent top 20 team. Many years top 10, and a couple years they were #1.

So, to make Pitt hoops out to be some sort of Idaho St. is ridiculous.

Are we Duke, Kentucky, Kansas or North Carolina, no, of course not, but out of 351 Div 1 teams, there are about 321 that would change places with us in a heartbeat.

Comment by Dan 02.13.14 @ 8:09 pm

Dan – yes we have been a great program but we cant be so satisfied we dont want to be like the UNC’s and UCLA’s and Michigan States and Dukes. Our success is nice but it has made us complacent in my opinion. You make some good points but until we go into a final four I am hesitant to beleive Dixon is as good as many. Goodnight. Baseball opens tomorrow.

Comment by Upittbaseball 02.13.14 @ 11:22 pm

That’s very fair Upitt, I was thinking you thought the program was mediocre, and I feel it’s a pretty good program.

I’m not complacent, and I do my share of criticizing Dixon at times.

I want more, I just think Dixon is gonna be here awhile, and I’m hoping he grows and evolves.

By the way, I love Sean Miller, Pitt hero.

What Pitt fan doesn’t.

Comment by Dan 02.14.14 @ 10:22 am

I also learned from you. That you feel Pitt does have a great program, I will now look at your posts differently knowing where you are coming from.

FWIW, Dixon does have one of the top players coming in two years in Herron.

He was a top 15 type, but looking at rivals and scout, they say his stock is rising and will be one of the top 5 players in the country when he graduates.

Can we keep him signed, who know’s??

Comment by Dan 02.14.14 @ 10:32 am