January 25, 2014

6pm on ESPN2.

Tonight is a father-daughter night for me. It’s a “Cinderella Ball” that my daughter’s school has, so I have to set the DVR and hope the Western Ky-Louisiana-Lafayette game doesn’t cut too far into the start of the game. It’s probably wrong that that there’s a small part of me hoping that snow we’ve been getting today in the Cleveland area cancels the event. Especially since in another year or two it will be about some boy trying to take her to a dance.

Pitt is only a 4-point favorite in this game. CBS Sportsline in their picks, says Pitt is an 8-point favorite, so the majority are picking Maryland to cover but all are going with Pitt to win based on that.

I think this will be a desperate Maryland team. They have NCAA hopes, that are fading fast as they sit at 8th in the ACC. They lack any quality wins. It’s a home game. Over half their remaining games are against teams higher than they are in the ACC standings.

Pittscript, Franklin’s routine is wearing thin with me. I already can’t stand him. I couldn’t belive Jerry DePaula with the Trib, he was gushing over him like he was Kate Upton or something.

Comment by Justinian 01.26.14 @ 8:35 pm

After I finished reading all the praise for Franklin in the Sunday papers I went out to shovel snow for an hour or so. Couldn’t get out of my head how it now seems the media and his entire staff has one huge crush on him. Thought it kind of ironic that a school that should have been hammered for “lack of institutional control” has hired another guy who seems so intent on being bigger than life. He may end up being the next Lombardi, right now he seems like an ass that needs to realize he’s a football coach.

Comment by cas myzlinski 01.26.14 @ 9:01 pm

More ESPN bias – Clemson/UNC gets front page status with a video. Even if it is ACC – ugh.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.26.14 @ 9:03 pm

@justinian and cas myzlinski… Yeah the media just loves a good story… all the BS about this being a ‘high energy staff’… blah blah blah… Hate to admit it but media did same thing with Fraud Graham… 6-9months this all starts wearing thin…

… particularly if info starts dripping out of the Vandy rape trials… etcc.

With BB you would hope if we beat Duke we finally get our due… interesting comment by the Maryland coach that Pitt is a top 5 team…

Comment by Pittscript 01.26.14 @ 9:11 pm

meanwhile PC has put together a solid recruiting class from many states including a 4 star QB from Florida….among other OL studs etc…

next year we will be in even better shape… building a program to last!

Comment by Pittscript 01.26.14 @ 9:12 pm

Concerning DOE looking at PSU assault records I am reminded of an old saying,
“The government moves at a geologic pace but when it does move it is relentless”.

Comment by Frank 01.26.14 @ 9:16 pm

Doc my parents both went to PSU but as a Dentist, not a real doctor i see how you misinterpreted that.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.26.14 @ 9:21 pm

Upitt, bad news buddy, 4-star db Sherfield re-affirmed his commitment to Vandy, reportedly pegged your boy as a liar – ooh, that’s got to sting. Don’t get too down though, 2 star kicker Jorge Powell chose the pedders over Tulane – what do you think – big get?

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 01.26.14 @ 9:22 pm

I CANNOT WAIT FOR TOMORROW!!!!…i’ll be in secion 210 screaming my head off…..The PETE MUST ROCK!!!

Comment by Keith 01.26.14 @ 9:25 pm

Utah hanging tough with Arizona.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.26.14 @ 9:39 pm

Does that make it less worse? My condolences.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.26.14 @ 9:42 pm

One reason that Pitt gets no respect in the media is because of our athletic director. Sorry, just the facts. Nationally, nobody respects the guy and that is problematic from a perception perspective.

I refuse to click on any online articles that mention penn state in the title. Conversely, I click on every Pitt article regardless of subject matter because the papers do study the clicks.

Penn state will get the largest clery act fine in history. I indicated this about five months ago that investigation had not yet concluded. They are in process of responding to DOJ inquiries. Each failure to report carries a significant fine.

Good luck to the team tomorrow. This is the toughest two weeks of the schedule. Take em one at a time. Duke physicality and constant backcourt pressure could be problematic. Personally, I match their pressure with pressure of our own. There is something to be said about teams that pressure, and that is…they don’t like to be pressured. All about tempo!

Carp’ blue devils!

Comment by dhuffdaddy 01.26.14 @ 10:46 pm

The Tarholes big 19 point win over Clemson is the featured story on ESPN.

The Holes are 12-7 and 2-4 in the ACC.

Meanwhile #20 Pitt is 18-2 and 6-1 and we don’t even get a mention on anybody’s front page after a victory.

Now you know why I dislike some of these teams. As some of you guys get older and see this crap for decade after decade, you will understand how those of us that have gone thru this for decades feel.

Comment by Emel 01.26.14 @ 11:21 pm

@ Keith.

Yes please get the non-student section involved in cheering for the team. It appears most of them just sit there, like they’re at the opera, politely applaud at the appropriate times and mostly watch the student section cheer.

It would be 4 times louder if some of these seatcovers would actually get involved in the game.

The games (for them) are a lot more fun that way.

Comment by Emel 01.26.14 @ 11:24 pm

@Emel – what about this? We beat Maryland on their home court and dropped from 15 to 16 in CBSSports Top 25 +1 so Michigan could go from 18 to 10? Wouldn’t it have made more sense for Michigan State to drop down 8 if Michigan moved up 8? Shouldn’t Villanova have dropped more for losing to Creighton? Shouldn’t Wiscy have dropped more than 1 place for losing to Minnesota?

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.26.14 @ 11:55 pm

Who is going to be the Sam “Bam” Clancy or Levance Fields of Monday’s game?

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.26.14 @ 11:57 pm

right Pitt Dad.

It will be interesting to see where Pitt is moved up to in the polls tomorrow. Too bad the Dookie lost those earlier conf.games. I would have preferred them being in the Top 5. As it stands now, I won’t be surprised if Pitt & Duke are side by side in the polls tomorrow.

We need to crush them, if that is allowed !!!

Comment by Emel 01.27.14 @ 12:02 am

I hoping for a rout, so we don’t need any late game heroics.

But Lamar seems like the likely candidate should we need one.

Comment by Emel 01.27.14 @ 12:04 am

Since we have a few posts on this thread concerning the Creepy Charlatan at Ped State, I found this very interesting quote from said Charlatan. This was after their big big win in the Compass Bowl over the powerhouse Houston (game was tied 24-24 after 3 Q’s.). (must have impressed the Pedo BOT, lol)

Franklin joked the Houston comeback was arranged to protect the TV ratings.

“Statistically, it was crazy,” Franklin said. “Our defense gave up 22 yards in the first half, 300 yards in the third quarter. We were told by the ESPN people that the ratings had gone down so we wanted to spike them back up by making it exciting in the third quarter.”

Suggesting the game was fixed is one I haven’t heard from a college or pro football coach ever.

This guy has a big mouth and based on some of his other comments about coaches wives, etc. He’s not too smart either.

His big mouth will get him into trouble(already have to a small extent), if that’s allowed these days.

Also suggesting the game was rigged to keep people tuned in, is quite ironic since we all know why this guy’s credentials and achievements (his star so to say) have been magnified.

Comment by Emel 01.27.14 @ 12:24 am

Link to above quote:

link to espn.go.com

Comment by Emel 01.27.14 @ 12:25 am

Gotta watch out for Parker and Plumlee, get lot’s of offensive rebounds.

Why am I up typing at 5:09 a.m.??

Comment by Dan 01.27.14 @ 5:08 am

Chas: I was able to isolate the first lad who was my beautiful daughter’s first high school boy friend. We were walking from the fire pit back to the house and I casually asked him how long did he think be could hold his breath underwater. Respect turned to fear, made my day.

Comment by Old School Panther 01.27.14 @ 6:03 am

pittscript (@9:12 last night), who is this 4-star QB from Florida you’re talking about? If you would click on the 3 ratings sites on the right hand side of this web site, you will find Wade Freebeck rated 3 stars in Rivals and 247, and 2-stars in Scout. Further, 2 of the 3 services has Adam Bertke (QB commit from Ohio) rated above Freebeck.

That doesn’t mean that Freebeck won’t eventually become a star QB, but we will have to wait and see.

BTW, even though Freebeck remains committed to Pitt, he made a visit to Vandy last week.

Comment by wbb 01.27.14 @ 7:53 am

ESPN has him listed as a 4 star, wbb, for whatever that’s worth. “Show me”.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.27.14 @ 9:01 am

We don’t need no stinking stars !

Comment by Emel 01.27.14 @ 9:07 am

Freebeck – Had only a few offers and then UF jumped in late which shows me he has talent. Not sure why he didn’t get many other offers but that’s why they play the game. We will see. He definitely needs to add weight and strength. He will RS anyway. At least the kid plays talent in the best state and best high school teams in US. Yes, they flew to NOLA to play John Curtis. Berkte plays against cows and chickens in Single A Michigan.

Comment by Upittbaseball 01.27.14 @ 9:16 am

From CBSSports.com

Best game: No. 18 Duke at No. 20 Pittsburgh (7 p.m., ESPN). The new ACC. Monday will be a proving ground for Pittsburgh, which is still getting very little respect nationally despite an 18-2 record with two losses by a combined six points. Meanwhile, Duke seems to have bounced back from whatever was ailing the Blue Devils at the start of January, winning four in a row – including Saturday’s throttling of Florida State. This is the first of two brutal road games for Duke, which travels to Syracuse on Saturday night. Monday will be a contrast of styles. Pittsburgh wants to get to the rim and the offensive glass, finishing in the paint or going to the foul line. Meanwhile, Duke relies heavily on its plethora of perimeter shooters – and the dynamic duo of Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood. The battle between those two and Lamar Patterson will be fun.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.27.14 @ 9:28 am