January 23, 2014

2014 Schedule Thoughts and Etc.

Filed under: ACC,Football,Schedule — Chas @ 8:39 am

Here’s the one thing that must be kept in mind for the 2014 schedule. There was no way it was going to match 2013. Not with the excitement over the ACC in the first year. Not with FSU and ND on the home slate. To say nothing of the Labor Day extravaganza to kick things off. So, if that was your benchmark, you will be disappointed.

It’s a better schedule for Pitt, though. Iowa is a solid non-con. There was a bit of shifting and scrambling with the non-con because of the changes with the ACC and ND. So, that removed the road game to South Bend that was supposed to take place.

As noted, the bye weeks work out a lot better.

The Thursday night game at home with VT is a mixed bag, personally. Thursday night is a showcase night and Pitt should be happy to get to host a big one like that against the Hokies. The flip side is not many out-of-towners like myself can attend the game.

From a comfort, weather standpoint there’s only one home game after November 1. As I get older, that becomes another positive.

The Delaware game is going to be a struggle to happen.

Pitt will open the 2014 season with a home game Aug. 30 against Delaware. There’s still some logistical details to work out because the Pirates have a home game at 4:05 p.m. that day. Pederson said the original plan was for Pitt to play at 1 p.m. with the Pirates going at 7 p.m. The Pirates were asked to move their game for television reasons, and now Pitt has to figure out a kickoff time that causes the least inconvenience for fans heading to the North Shore.

“The reality is there’s really no time we can play that’s not going to impact a 4:05 game,” Pederson said.

“Under no circumstances would be kick before noon. That’s not fair to our fans. We would never do that.”

Fox and MLB need to bend a little or everyone in Pittsburgh gets screwed.

Friday night at BC. Like football at the NFL, the creep of games on odd nights is all about the money. The destruction of the Big East means that ESPN has dictated to other conferences that Friday nights will happen.

Other conferences may continue to stomp their feet and declare “never,” but they will happen to them all to some degree eventually. EVERY conference. EVERY school has shown it’s all about the money.

I’m not about to start guessing wins-losses yet. Especially since the questions for Pitt this year are going to largely be on the defensive side of things.

Speaking of which…

Aaron Donald is blowing up at the Senior Bowl practices. That’s just one article. Twitter has scouts and NFL-nicks constantly raving about the way he is destroying offensive linemen on one-on-one drills. They are learning what we saw all year. You have to double-team Donald. If I had to bet on the draft, I’d say teams will still tear him down at the combine because of his size, so that he doesn’t go until some time in the second round. But he will make the team that gets him very happy.

ACC schedule wise, Syracuse blog TNIAAM had a piece on how their AD is already agitating for ACC football schedule changes to fit his/Cuse’s desires. There’s a fair amount I can actually agree in there. I don’t really see Cuse as Pitt’s rival either. I think the set-up that has teams from the other division seeing each other only once in six years is ridiculous.

Unlike Syracuse’s AD, I would favor a more structural change that the NCAA would have to approve. It would eliminate divisions (a requirement if you want a conferencechampionship game). Rather the top-two teams face off. If you want each school to have one protected game fine, but then seven other games that change every year. It guarantees everyone sees everyone at least every other year.

Yes, the obvious flaw would be years when one team gets a brutal schedule and another cakewalks. But it is more than a little ridiculous that teams will play ND more frequently in a 12 year period than other schools in the same conference simply because they are in the opposite division.

Ok I think I know what I’m gonna get from asking this, but…

Wouldn’t the circle in the middle of this 125th season logo be SO much better as a secondary logo than the dinocat?

link to grfx.cstv.com

If we can’t get back to script, I’d love to see the circle with thre panther head (pretty sure that’s a logo interpretation of one of the campus statues) as our secondary mark. I know some people will think it looks too close to Penn State, but I think we’re due for an upgrade and this would be a great one! C’mon Stevie P make it happen!

Comment by Jon 01.23.14 @ 8:51 am

Pitt and Syracuse has faced each other for the past 59 consecutive years … by far the longest current streak for Pitt. I’m not sure what the Cuse has with BC, but 60 years and counting is nothing to sneeze at these days.

It seems that Miami and us really have no ideal rivalry, and we were paired together for the final game because we were the only two left.

My thought is that familiarity breeds contempt, and the longer we play teams in the Coastal Division, and have some competitive games, we won’t have to be so concerned with one rivalry. UVa, VT , Cuse and UM will all be looked forward to provided that one side doesn’t completely dominate.

Comment by wbb 01.23.14 @ 8:59 am

Jon, as far as I’m concerned, anything BUT the dinocat is fine with me. Maybe a new design with the panther standing on top of the Cathedral overlooking Oakland could be adopted.

Comment by wbb 01.23.14 @ 9:02 am

Say what you want about Miami not being a rival but I saw a good amount of hate between our players last time we played. Rivalries develop on the field. This might just turn into one.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 01.23.14 @ 9:15 am

No obvious sell outs on the schedule. But all in all very competitive.

Delaware should be OK because it is the opener. Tough game at BC, early test should show us where we stand.

If we win the first three Iowa should be pretty well attended.

Other than Akron the rest of them should be very competitive. Akron fans should show up, so attendance might be OK.

People should show up to see Tyler Boyd. We also should be better at time of possession, with an improved running game and short passing game.
Hopefully keeping the defense of the field.

Third year for Chryst so players should know their roles and plays.

Still have major concerns about the D without Donald, Hendricks and Williams, but if we keep them off the field more, hopefully they will be adequate,

A lot of young guys on both sides of the ball.

If we can get to 8-9 wins next year the following year, we should be pretty strong.

I like a rivalry with Miami. If we want to be competitive it helps to play with a traditionally strong team. When do we get to play Clemson?

Without Clemson, MD, and FL ST, We should be favored against everyone except, Iowa, and Miami and maybe NC and BC.

Time to “Man Up”

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 9:21 am

I agree with wbb, Maryland is a trap game. They will be much stronger at home after we embarrassed them at the Pete. Our freshmen should now know what to expect on the road. Still, as Patterson and Zanna go, so goes Pitt.

We have some players and alumni in the area so let’s hope they show up big.

Can’t get overconfident after Clemson and look past MD to Duke.

Clemson was outstanding, but was one of those games when everything went our way, the basket was four foot wide. Clemson played very poorly and we had our A+ game.

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 9:31 am

Maybe too early for this, but can we fix the special teams and stop shooting ourselves in the feet with unforced errors?

I know Dr. Tom….small steps

Comment by Dan 72 01.23.14 @ 9:31 am

@@@@@

Hate Thursday/Friday games. However
teams that stated they would never play
week day games have now conceded. So it
is a fact of life.

Don’t get the Pitt/Miami rivalry. Seems
the Cuse would be a better final game. BC/
Miami would be better give the Doug
Flutie Hail Mary. Only downside
to the ACC is the loss of a geographical
rival.

2014 is time PC moves the program
forward.

Comment by JR 01.23.14 @ 9:48 am

JR, you probably hate Thursday / friday games because we are so bad at them .. maybe because the majority of them we have played in the past decade have been on the road.

I remember the most weeknight successful games we have had were:

1. Upset of Miami in Walt’s first year at Pitt Stadium
2. close loss in 02 at Miami, who played in national title game
3. Win in 011 at home vs USF when Ray Graham went crazy
4.. Win over a weak UConn team in 011 when the unmentionable QB had a average night of 421 yds

Easily, the biggest nightmares of weeknight games were 3 losses at UConn under 3 different coaching regimes

Comment by wbb 01.23.14 @ 10:16 am

Up to 15 now in CBSSports Top 25 plus one.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.23.14 @ 10:23 am

This schedule reeks of potential in terms of advancing the program to “the next level” and into the top half of the ACC. Stomp BC and Syracuse and stake our claim as the Beast of the Northeast in the ACC.

I’m really looking forward to see how Voytik develops. He is a smart kid with some talent in his legs and his arm, and is well coached. That usually is a good combination for a QB in today’s college game.

What if Tyler Boyd greatly exceeds his freshman numbers and is a Biletnikoff finalist or winner. Does he bolt for the NFL like Fitz did or does he stay another year or two? Any thoughts on that from my fellow Blatherers?

Comment by Panther Fan in Hoopieland 01.23.14 @ 10:28 am

I’ve been preaching patience for nearly a month now about our rankings. It will all work out. If we continue to win, we will move up to Top 10, but if we lose some games in a weak league, we don’t belong there … it’s as simple as that.

Comment by wbb 01.23.14 @ 10:30 am

I have a good feeling about Voytik. Sure, he doesn’t have the height or stong arm as Savage, but I see in him someone the program has been lacking since Palko … a playmaker.

I’m not saying he is a Rusell Wilson .. but I think he can often make something out of nothing because of his mobility.

Comment by wbb 01.23.14 @ 10:36 am

Re: Voytik

I’ll take him if he’s a winner. More so than any other position, I don’t really care much about height/weight with QBs. If it’s there, great, but if not… Who cares as long as he’s a winner.

Re: Boyd

He’s not draft eligible until after the ’15 season. If he produces two more seasons at that level, I’ll have no problem with him leaving for the NFL.

Comment by BostonsCommon 01.23.14 @ 10:44 am

The yearly cross division rival isn’t about Pitt & Cuse. It’s about FSU-Miami, the NC schools etc. The ACC is doing everything they can to keep them happy. Pitt-Miami isn’t much of a rivalry since Pitt almost never wins. They were basically the odd teams out.

Boyd will be at Pitt for at least 2 more years. You have to be 3 years removed from High School to go pro. Fitz was able to leave after 2 because he went to Prep School for a year after High School. McCoy & Lewis did the same thing.

Comment by Nick 01.23.14 @ 10:48 am

Back to the Wooden Awards.

Andy Katz, who is a Wooden Award voter, says in his 3 point shot today that he had Lamar Patterson on his ballot. Nice. And well deserved. If we keep winning, and Lamar keeps playing the way he has, he will be recognized at the end of the season.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.23.14 @ 10:51 am

Pitt has not had a player as strong as Patterson since Sam Young. And he is more versatile. He absolutely deserves to be on the Wooden list.

As far as ACC MVP, who else is as important to their team as Lamar is to Pitt.

The great Tyler Boy will need those two years to bulk up for the NFL.

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 11:02 am

Sorry, I meant Boyd, what a faux pas.

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 11:04 am

Saturday, October 25: Georgia Tech
Saturday, November 1: Duke
Saturday, November 8: BYE
Saturday, November 15: at North Carolina
Saturday, November 22: Syracuse
Saturday, November 29: at Miami

It’s a fine schedule. My only issue is if we would go undefeated (dreaming), are there any really tough teams that we could beat that would show that we were elite and worthy of the national championship game? I guess we might face that team in the ACC championship.

Comment by Caw Miller 01.23.14 @ 11:11 am

As far as Pitt-Syracuse in football, I feel like Kay Corleone.

“Michael, at this time, I feel nothing for you”.

Like the Syracuse AD’s idea. Rather see all the teams every couple years.

Comment by Dan 01.23.14 @ 11:20 am

Personally, looking forward MORE to next year than the last two years under Chryst.

Agree, that we need to see IF Voytik is a winner. So far, so good.

Yes, Chad has his limitations and still not convinced those limitation can’t be exposed when a Defense has a week to prepare for him.

But, he deserves the chance. UNLESS of course, one of the two freshmen QBs coming in takes Oakland by Storm.

This is the year where we should see a MARKED IMPROVEMENT in performance due to the fact that Chryst is going to have more of HIS players in place.

Nine Wins? Optimistically, a resounding “YES.”

Comment by PittofDreams 01.23.14 @ 11:37 am

I am on board with the Syracuse guy as well. I could see sacrificing one or two of the non-coms to play more ACC teams in a season. More cohesive league, better competition, keep the money in house.

More chance to develop better rivalries.

I don’t see Syracuse as a rival either. I see rivalries develop with quality games over the years forming naturally. Assigning them won’t work.

The River City Rivalry was starting to work only because of the Quality of the games. Not because of the Bell.

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 11:40 am

Non-Optimistically… EIGHT. Pessimistically… SEVEN.

Not counting Bowl.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.23.14 @ 11:41 am

Caw, I would like to think that if we go undefeated, and beat FSU or Clemson in ACC final, we would qualify for the BCS playoff. I know for sure I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Comment by wbb 01.23.14 @ 11:52 am

By the way… after getting a close-up look at Aaron Donald methodically “Blowing Up” Offensive Lineman at the Senior Bowl… NFL Network Analyst Mike Mayock now projects Donald going either late 1st Round but no later than 2nd.

Now, we understand what 28.5 TFL REALLY means.

Comment by PittofDreams 01.23.14 @ 12:05 pm

the duke game 200 hundred standing room only tickets were sold the place is going to rock
a lot of the zoo will be wearing bath robes
becuse one of the duke players was caught shoplifting a bath robe.

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 12:56 pm

Not an exciting schedule but important because it gives Pitt good shot at 8 wins… 9 if really surprises…

That is what is important this coming year to really roll some momentum and get to the next level in perception, recruits, etc.

… just to be in the conversation to win the division and possibly play in ACC Championship game would be great… to be relevant towards the end of the season.

… wow, even set up the Miami game to actually mean something.

Comment by Pittscript 01.23.14 @ 1:09 pm

Voytik made a single pass in the bowl game that gave me great hope for his future. He rolled to his left, had a linebacker coming at him and made a nice 10 or 15 yard touch pass on the move to the TE (I think) that was coming across the field with him…It is a simple play, but it requires a certain ability to make that type of pass on the run. If he can do that on a regular basis, we will be in fine shape because that will end the “pin your ears back” type of defense that we have been facing. The defense will have to respect his mobility and ability to take off if they don’t cover him.

Comment by HbgFrank 01.23.14 @ 1:11 pm

Would love to see Donald somehow land with the Steelers. He is a beast and has the character that the Steelers love. Although for some reason many good Pitt guys have been passed over by the black and gold over the years.

Comment by Coach Ditka 01.23.14 @ 1:25 pm

@Comment by Coach Ditka 01.23.14 @ 1:25 pm

I’d love to see Donald stay on the South Side. But it just ain’t going to happen. He’s not that kinda DE or NT, where he can just sit there and eat up blockers. And even if he did play like that, you’d be wasting his biggest assets… Quickness and explosive power.

Tomlin knows he’s a player, for sure. But he’s just not a fit.

Comment by BostonsCommon 01.23.14 @ 1:36 pm

@ Dan 72, I completely agree!!! When you have bullet holes in both feet with a toe or two missing, small steps is all that you can take! LOL.

For sure, let’s get the special teams cluster fu*k figured out before next season, PLEASE!

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.23.14 @ 2:15 pm

@ Fan in Hoopieland, unlike Fitz,who spent his 1st year after HS in a college prep situation, Boyd will HAVE TO stick around until after his Junior year is completed. So we have the pleasure of his company for 2014 and 2015 at least. Sure hope that he would stick around for his Senior season though, just to help out the Panthers in beating those buggers from creepy valley in 2016.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.23.14 @ 2:21 pm

@ Caw Miller, the short answer, PLENTY, all of who, would expose Pitt as a National Championshipr pretender once the game was over, even if we were able to go 12-0 in our regular season. Kind of like what happened to NIU in their last two games this season.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.23.14 @ 2:31 pm

Iowa and Virginia Tech are the only two games that might come close to selling out. It’s the kind of cream puff schedule we have been ridiculing Penn State for having under Paterno. What was Stevie thinking? This schedule needs WVU.

Comment by TonyinHouston 01.23.14 @ 2:36 pm

We should embrace Syracuse as our main rival. There is certainly friendly animus on their side. I attended the Texas Bowl between Syracuse and Minnesota and sat in the SU section in my Pitt shirt. Plenty of back-and-worth and disgusted looks.

Comment by TonyinHouston 01.23.14 @ 2:38 pm

recruiting for 2015 i just checked the espn list of who pitt is recruiting.
chryst is only after 8 kids from pa at this time and only 3 from western pa.
most of the kids pitt wants are from outher states so if penn state does well in pa it will be becuse we dont want many pa kids this comeing year.

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 2:45 pm

@hbgFrank, that pass was to Garner, yep a TE. I also thought that was a telling play but the pass that astounded me was that frickin 50 yard missle to Boyd, right on target, to Tyler while he’s in full stride! Isn’t this the kid that doesn’t have the ability to throw the long ball?

The other play that I found myself saying to myself, “I guess we have annointed our QB for 2014″ was the run in TD by Chad at the end of the game. That was a broken play, all on Voytik’s shoulders, culminating a 94 yard drive to win the game, good stuff, especially for an untested RS Freshman QB coming in off the bench. Many a lesser man would have simply $hit their pants in that same situation, but not Voytik, he shined in that limelight.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.23.14 @ 2:46 pm

Anyone see the spread for Saturday’s game?

H2P

Comment by pmdH2P 01.23.14 @ 2:55 pm

I’d be ok with a nine game conference schedule if the extra game replaced Akron, Delaware, or FIU. My fear is that those 3 games stay and we lose a good non-con game.

I am not a fan of one big division like hoops or not playing every team in your division at least once.

As for the protected games, I only see 2 true rivalries: UNC v. NC St., and Miami v. FSU. None of the other protected games are considered rivalries (Wake v. Duke???). Stop the charade. Either go to a 6-2 format, or let those 4 teams keep their protected game and let the other 10 rotate annually.

Comment by Iron Duke 01.23.14 @ 3:01 pm

And Caw, worrying about Pitt’s ACC Championship opponent if they go 12-0 is like me worrying about what shirt to wear when Kate Beckinsale asks me out, but I admire your optimism!

Comment by Iron Duke 01.23.14 @ 3:15 pm

@Iron Duke: LOL.

Comment by MikePITT 01.23.14 @ 3:17 pm

Regarding having a schedule that will pack them in at Heinz Field and get fannies in all those yellow seats, my solution is just to win, game after game, after game. Sooner rather than later the causal fan will come out and watch the Panthers. Everybody loves a winner, no matter who they’re beating. And especially in a town like Pittsburgh where there is little tolerance for losing, you gotta win if you want to be supported in the Burgh.

So just win baby, win!

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.23.14 @ 3:20 pm

@@@@@

Voytik may be short however he is
obviously mobile and as a pre-med student
is very bright. Image a mobile QB yeah
brings back memories of Palko. Better
days ahead.

Comment by JR 01.23.14 @ 3:20 pm

A must-have for your dog (or your spouse):

link to home.woot.com

Comment by steve1 01.23.14 @ 3:27 pm

schedule sucks tell the truth akron delaware fiu
we should not be playing them give me a brake.

if they want to play teams they can beat at least play teams with a good name like Tulane or rice
or Purdue or Army or navy something better then delaware what a screwed up line up.

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 3:27 pm

If the Zoo is wearing robes for the Duke game they better be gold. Got an email from the athletic dept that they’re calling for a gold out. Gold “this is our house” t-shirts will be passed out to the fans & Pitt will be wearing the gold unis. The Pete is gonna be rocking.

Comment by Nick 01.23.14 @ 3:32 pm

FIU is replacing Notre Dame to accommodate the ACC. Delaware, Akron, Iowa, & Notre Dame isn’t that bad. Take a look at SEC non cons if you want to see a joke.

Comment by Nick 01.23.14 @ 3:35 pm

Dr Tom is 100% right..winning is the only thing that fills Heinz field unless playing ND, PSU or WVU…and even those three have trouble selling out anymore since all 4 teams are pretty average these days.

Comment by milobloom 01.23.14 @ 3:41 pm

pitt has just offered a JC center 6 foot 9 260 pound justin jamison he is like 23 years old was playing base ball just went back to school.
do we have room for him does this mean that the great shooting guard we were waiting for is not comeing becuse he could not get the grades
what is the scoop on the SG

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 3:42 pm

@Dr. Tom – to paraphrase “Field of Dreams”, if you win it, they will come.

Latest Lunardi Bracketology still has us a 5 seed but not we’re in the pod with Creighton (!!!) the kind of team that might give us fits in the past for the right to play Kansas (1 seed). Ugh. Hope it does not turn out that way.

On the other hand, he has Stanford in a play-in with SMU for the right to play us.

The idiot has Duke as a 4 seed and moving up!!!

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.23.14 @ 3:46 pm

In my opinion a big rivalry starts in 2016. I hope they play the game either very early or late, maybe even last.

I hope the Pirates and Pitt can work out a double header like last year. I loved it and would go back in a minute.

Comment by Frank 01.23.14 @ 3:55 pm

Pitt more like a #4 seed right now..(I think by tourney time Pitt will be # 2 seed.
Bracketmatrix has Pitt at #5 but a lot of the Brackets have no been updated since Clemson game.

link to bracketmatrix.com

Comment by milobloom 01.23.14 @ 3:58 pm

i just checked if we sign the JC center there is no romm for the SG what was his name mostela or some thing like that what happened
did he flunk out of the prep school does any ome know
Wbb do you know.

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 4:00 pm

I don’t think Mostella is in prep school anymore. A couple weeks ago, Pitt offered a 2014 SG from Our Savior named Kobe Eubanks. When that happened, I was pretty convinced that Mostella wasn’t coming.

Comment by Mailman 01.23.14 @ 4:05 pm

Mailman did mostella just walk away he will never play any were then how sad is that,
may be he can go over seas he must not be very smart
thanks for the info

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 4:20 pm

Comment by steve1 01.23.14 @ 4:30 pm

@ Iron Duke, the pink one would be nice, you look good in pink. You be FUNNY, LMFAO, yeah 12-0!

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.23.14 @ 4:41 pm

JUST HAD TO GO AND DO IT, DIDN’T YOU? Good job Frankcan, now that you’ve insulted The Zips, The Fighting Blue Hens and Roary the FIU “panther” mascot too, now I know exactly who to put the blame on if Pitt gets beat by any of these teams now!

Have you every attempted to get the upper hand on an angry Blue Hen, especially when they’re already in the mood for fighting. Thanks for effectively pissing off a quarter of our 2014 opponents already.

I can see my future nighmares already, us getting pecked to death by those frickin Blue Hens, nice Frankcan, N I C E!

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.23.14 @ 4:52 pm

Offering the 6’9″ center means Jamie is not sold on our two big guys. We definitely need insurance. Randall and Ochebo are definitely works in progress. Ochebo still limping and definitely looks lost on the court. Randall is hot or cold, but should get better. Maybe not better enough.

Even though Jamie has been a master with the Bigs, not sure he has time to get these two ready for next year.

Really sad if Mostella is not coming, his highlight real is remarkable.

This would be zero for three in contributions from high profile recruits. If you add Sleepy, 0-4. But at least he contribute somewhat in his senior year.

Adams helped to right a listing ship, that’s about it.

Love the Pomeroy, need to mail it to all the writers.

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 5:03 pm

Sorry, too many definitely s.

Have there been others that have not made the grade even with prep school?

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 5:06 pm

The 4 non-con games this year have been known for a while – getting OSU and PSU in the same year will make for an interesting schedule going forward…if it was too tough there would be complaints, if it were too easy there would be complaints.

Comment by markp 01.23.14 @ 5:11 pm

@ markup, these are Pitt fans that you’re describing, so even if the schedule was Goldilocks perfect, you would still hear the complaints, about something!

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.23.14 @ 5:48 pm

I remember an interview with Larry Fitsgerald’s father where he had stated they, beause of the season he spent in prep school after graduating, they were petitioning the NCAA about Larry going into the draft. He commented that if it wasn’t granted, he would stay and play at Pitt his junior year. The old rule was that players were not elegible for the the draft until they had completed their junior season. After Fitsgeral’s appeal, the ruling the NCAA made was that as long as the student athlete was 3 years removed from high school they would elegible for the NFL draft. So the Larry Fitsgerald case lead to a modification in the rule.

Comment by Justinian 01.23.14 @ 6:02 pm

I forgot the z in Fitzgerald.

Comment by Justinian 01.23.14 @ 6:03 pm

For anyone in Pgh. Coach Dixon will be live in kdka studio at 6:45.

Comment by Nick 01.23.14 @ 6:24 pm

DR Tom you are welcome and you cracked me up pecked to death bye a blue hen . but what can i say it sucks i would rather play army navy or u conn then thoes bozos.

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 6:24 pm

Trying to decide if the road trip will be to Charlottesville to see DC and UVA friends or NC to visit family. Bro-in-law is team doc for Wake Forest, Sister-in-law and family are all Tarheels. Wake plays at NC State that day so it could be a 2fer depending on start times.

Decisions…decisions…

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 01.23.14 @ 6:32 pm

i would not bitch abought a tough schedhle becuse if you win you have earned it 8 wins from a tough schedule would be great.
i dont like rent a wins give me tough any day also they are more fun and would sell the place out no yellow seats.if i could my 3 non com games would be penn state navy texas or ucla or florida or army
now that is a non com schedhle.

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 6:40 pm

Can’t wait for Blue hens.

Comment by Justinian 01.23.14 @ 6:42 pm

look are starting center is a SR this is his last year randel is a back up that is all he will ever be we need back ups but we need a starter also of the outher 2 one might heal his knee and he might not the outher is raw and 2 years away.
so we need some who can start next year so the JC kid is it if he comes.

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 6:46 pm

OK, kids. I have been busy feeding the dogs and helping my wonderful wife. So, did anyone answer my question about the spread on Saturday’s game?

H2P

p.s. What was the name of the scuzzy motel that was on Forbes right below the Towers and across from Frankie Gustine’s? My buddies and I always wanted to watch the football players with their dates from our rooms in the Towers. Those were the days. Then I got an apartment on South Bouquet as a senior and watched the nurses across the way from us. Those horny lovely sluts.

Comment by pmdH2P 01.23.14 @ 6:51 pm

Info for thoes that care abought pitt basketball
SG mostella left his prep school so he will not be comeing to pitt.
i dont know why maybe he could not do the work to get the grades.
but Dokish says he is gone to bad he looked good
we could have used him but that is just are luck.
and that is why we have room for the JC center if he signs with us.

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 7:09 pm

Fellas that don’t like or are upset about the schedule, no worries.

It’s gonna happen, the not so attractive schedule once in awhile. That’s just the way it is, especially within a conference.

Not to jump ahead, but to look ahead, so you know it’s not all doom and gloom.

2015 Pitt plays:

Louisville, Notre Dame and Iowa

2016 Pitt plays:

Penn State, Oklahoma State, and Clemson.

Actually a great schedule for Pitt and HCPC in his 3rd year.

It’s “moving” year, 3rd and 4th year.

3rd year being slightly soft, ah, I’ll take it.

Gonna have 2 cupcakes and 2 nice OOC games for the future. That’s probably gonna be the way it’s gonna be.

This year, we got 3 and 1. How’d Smug Smile Steve let that happen?? I’d have to say it has a lot to do with ACC scheduling and contracts that were already made.

I would criticize Smug, as quick as anyone, had I not seen the future schedules.

Here’s a link to all FBS schedules for the next few years.

link to fbschedules.com

Yep, write it down, givin’ Smug a pass on this one.

Comment by Dan 01.23.14 @ 7:52 pm

@ Frankie,

That’s is not good news about Mostella. Although I had a feeling something was amiss.

Last year’s class was Mostella, Uchebo, Newkirk and Artis. Scratch Mostella, Uchebo is a major question mark (the 2 late ones). Now we’re down to Newkirk and Artis. Need some bodies for next year & beyond.

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 8:00 pm

Frankcan, there were plenty of yellow seats this year for an awesome home schedule, so don’t sweat attendance. Dr. Tom is right, win and they will come.

The attendance drop off from the 10-3 season to now is significant. Maybe not in the “reported” attendance but definitely butts in seats. Competing with 3 good pro teams, a great Pitt hoops program,and several different college allegiances in this area. Gotta win. Make Pitt football a must see event.

Dr. Tom, if Kate likes pink, I’ll rock a pink shirt! LOL!

Comment by Iron Duke 01.23.14 @ 8:06 pm

@emel, you forgot the best one, Michael Young

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 8:07 pm

Emel, The way the Panthers are playing this year is turning a lot of heads. I am sure that Pitt’s statue in the recruiting circles will look good to perspective recruits. I don’t think anyone expected Pitt to do as well as they are doing in their 1st year in the ACC.

Comment by Justinian 01.23.14 @ 8:09 pm

@Iron Duke, we need a few fireworks nights, it worked for the Pirates for 20 years, if not that, then Bobbleheads. Probably add 5-10 thousand in the upper deck.

Aaron Donald Bobblehead and firework appreciation night. We could do all the greats. Ditka’s head would be twice as big as any of the others. Except for the late, great Ironhead.

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 8:14 pm

I guess Mostella must be headed for Europe. Good luck Derrick, We hardly new ya.

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 8:16 pm

@ lol….oy vey…how could I forget Y.

Yes, we are playing well, finally ranked and leading the ACC in scoring by a large margin.

Now we just have to get the media in gear. As everything they do to slight us, makes recruiting the really good players that much harder.

I thought we’d do well in the ACC, I as noted more than several times long before basketball season started. This isn’t your father’s ACC.

It’s been down for several years and I’ve watched that decline, up close.
Pitt & Syracuse were brought in for their basketball teams more than football teams I’m thinking now.

While the ACC hopes Pitt & Cusey get better in football, they knew they both had excellent basketball programs. In a conference that needed a couple.

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 8:18 pm

since we’re correcting each other

it’s Detrick or was…..

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 8:26 pm

I have to admit that if I found out 2 months ago that Mostella was not coming to Pitt, I would be really bummed. Now after seeing the potential of our underclassmen and the future recruits, can’t say I’m bummed at all

Comment by wbb 01.23.14 @ 8:36 pm

Pedo State in their familiar last place position in the Big 10. Winless in 6 games.

Coaches may come and go, but the Pedo’s in basketball remain consistently horrid.

Losing to another horrible basketball program tonite, Nebraska 26-17. Must be plenty of seats available for this one.

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 8:36 pm

Touche E

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 8:37 pm

Emel, don’t forget Jeter coming in next year who should contribute as sixth man, until Durand is ready. He started at Vanderbilt as a natural frosh and is decent rebounder and a pretty good shot from the corner.

Luther is also coming in although I wouldn’t be surprised if he redshirted … but he is pretty talented from what I’m told.

BTW, I have the perfect nickname for Luther …. ‘Token”

Comment by wbb 01.23.14 @ 8:41 pm

No overconfidence on Saturday.

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 8:41 pm

Teams that the pollsters loved in the non-con, who have fallen flat on their faces in conference play.

link to usatoday.com

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 8:44 pm

@wbb
Yes Jeter should be a good contributor next year in the 3 spot.

I am a little bummed about losing Mostella, as he was supposed to be an incredible talent who could not only shoot the 3, but dunk over anyone. That would have been fun to watch and given PITT maybe a player who could have taken us to the Promised Land (FF).

Just can’t seem to get over that proverbial ‘hump’.

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 8:47 pm

Fun Fact: Ohio State, Oregon, Wisconsin & Iowa State started the year a combined 58-0. Since then they are 0-14.

Comment by wbb 01.23.14 @ 8:51 pm

CNorwood – I vote for Charlottesville. I’m sure lots of C&P club members will be there too. Kt says bring your wife too.
C

Comment by CalvinHobbes 01.23.14 @ 8:58 pm

wbb, but they had strong non-coms, LOL

Comment by gc 01.23.14 @ 8:59 pm

You would think the Highway Patrol (State Police) would close the roads down during bad ‘whiteouts’.

Cause we know ppl won’t pull over and let it pass.

link to usatoday.com

How senseless.

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 9:04 pm

People, stop worrying about bathrobes at the Duke game.

All that matters is what happens in College Park, MD on Saturday.

Comment by BATR 01.23.14 @ 9:11 pm

INFO for you on basketball pitt offered per scout
a 7 foot 1 center for 2015 named georgis papagiannis weight 250 pounds. a 3 star

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 9:13 pm

Calvin (CS) Hobbes, yeah, that’s a big part of the lean for C’Ville. Hope you and KT are well!

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 01.23.14 @ 9:14 pm

Pitt also has this foreign center coming in next year:

Shaquille Doorson

link to pittsburgh.scout.com

Comment by Jackagain 01.23.14 @ 9:31 pm

@Jackagain.

Me thinks he looks like a 2 year project at the earliest. Maybe even after the redshirt !

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 9:36 pm

gc, maybe a HCPC bobble head, complete with droopy sweatshirt!

Comment by Iron Duke 01.23.14 @ 9:38 pm

wbb, that is a great fun fact. I knew Oregon and Iowa St. were unworthy, surprised OSU and Wisky hit the skids.

Comment by Iron Duke 01.23.14 @ 9:41 pm

Emel…sounds like something the Steelers would do with a 2nd round draft pick.

Comment by Jackagain 01.23.14 @ 9:44 pm

Ohio Fake had to get a sub .500 conference foe to finally get a win at home.

Guess that will be good enough to keep them ranked.
Well you know it will be !

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 9:47 pm

EMel jackagain if he gets the jc center this year and the 7 foot 1 center in 2015 we will have 5 centers on the team. will that be enough maybe we can put them all on the floor at once and have the tallest team in basketball. jokeing but that is a lot of centers.

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 9:54 pm

Emel, Ohio State was fortunate to win, IL took some poor shots down the stretch.

Comment by Justinian 01.23.14 @ 9:54 pm

Omg jack…let’s hope Shaquille doesn’t became like that.

To name a few: (just for laughs) Mike Adams (guy gets beat up by two bums in Souside), Kraig Urbik(was 2nd player we chose that year,even though a 3rd), the infamous Limas Sweed, Ricardo Colclough, Alonzo Jackson, Scott Schields, the one and only (Ron) Jeremy Staat, Steve Conley, Kenny Davidson, Mark ‘Fort’ Behning, Chris Kolodziejski (yes, copy & paste), Wayne Capers, one of the all time worst 2nd rounders never played a snap, John ‘Oscar’ Meyer of Arizona St., another Sun Devil Bob Kohrs, Zack Valentine, another huge bust Willie Frye of ND, never played a snap for anyone, and ending with another 2nd rounder who never played a snap for anyone, Ken Phares of Miss. St.

Of course he could be another Cassin Diggs……

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 10:00 pm

Maybe Stevie P will retire Joe Flacco’s Redshirt jersey at halftime of the Delaware game……..better not give him any ideas.

2012. 6 wins
2013. 7 wins
2014. 9 wins
That will be progress. H2P!,

Comment by Panther Fan in Hoopieland 01.23.14 @ 10:01 pm

@ Frankie,

Yep JD will have a new figure 8 offense, consisting of 5 Centers. It will be quite slow & methodical but will be quite effective and revolutionize college basketball much like the spread has done in college football.

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 10:04 pm

Emel, don’t forget they tool Worilds instead of Sean Lee even though they had 2 great starters at OL.

They knew this guy would ride the pine for 3-4 years…

Comment by Jackagain 01.23.14 @ 10:07 pm

Woops….OLB

Comment by Jackagain 01.23.14 @ 10:09 pm

To be fair we have had some great 2nd rounders as well. Jack Lambert & Dermoniti Dawson to name a few.

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 10:11 pm

Worilds played pretty good this year, is his contract up for renewal ?

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 10:13 pm

Princeton researchers:

Scientists argue that, like bubonic plague, Facebook will eventually die out. boo hoo :-(

link to theguardian.com

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 10:16 pm

Congrats to our pals over in Creepy Valley for win #1 in the Big Joke.

5,705 bored lost souls were on hand to witness the battle for last place. (not including those children being held against their will in the showers)

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 10:41 pm

EMal how is this for something new that was a center last year who was 7 foot 5 i dont think any one signed him chryst should sign him it does not make a difference if he can play.
you only bring him on the field for field goals and extra points tell him to stand up and wave his arms over his head and block the kicks.
a new specialest is born some one will do it one of these days we should be first.

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 10:44 pm

ok…a 7’5″ guy who is on the field to block FG’s & XP’s. Maybe line him up as a WR too down around the 10 and throw him the ‘alley-oop’ pass.

Might sell a few more tickets to watch the Akron Zips & the Delaware Blue Hens.

Heck I’ll come if I’m promised an autographed T-Shirt of Zippy the Zip !

Comment by Emel 01.23.14 @ 11:09 pm

i posted that the zoo would wear bath robes to the game i was wrong i read a old post did not check the date sorry abought that ,
EMel you and i are jokeing but it might work and the jump bowl thing might work to.
who knows some day a coach might try it.

Comment by Frankcan 01.23.14 @ 11:24 pm

From Eamonn Brennan’s Wooden Watch:

7. Lamar Patterson, Pittsburgh: Patterson’s combination of elite perimeter scoring and passing has made him the best offensive asset in the country not named McDermott this season. A quick sprint through the numbers: 122.8 offensive rating, 27.4 percent usage, 31.5 percent assist rate, and shooting 55.3 percent from 2, 44.3 from 3, and 78.8 from the line. Oh, and as Mark Titus wrote at Grantland on Wednesday, Patterson might have the single best-looking jumper in recent memory: “Patterson is a fifth-year senior who has been a solid 3-point shooter his entire career, so I’m not sure why I haven’t noticed his jumper’s flawlessness until this season. But now that I have, it’s like the clouds parted and angels started singing Enya songs. … Ray Allen is the best shooter in the history of basketball and he’s often praised for having perfect shooting form. Well, Lamar Patterson makes Ray Allen look like Shawn Marion or Bill Cartwright.” Go ahead, check out YouTube. I’ll wait. Mark’s not wrong.

Now that it’s late January and we’ve officially discarded any and all personal New Year’s resolutions, let’s re-up with one worth keeping: No more overlooking Lamar Patterson. (This goes for you, too, Wooden committee.) Pitt’s home game against Duke Monday night should assist in this regard.

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.23.14 @ 11:26 pm

Link to Mark Titus on Grantland:

link to grantland.com

Comment by Pitt Dad 01.23.14 @ 11:30 pm

@Pitt Dad – that is a great article on Lamar. Now watch him go 2 for 12 on Saturday and miss a game tying FT attempt.

Don’t let him read this. Confidence is one thing, this could be too much.

Comment by TVax 01.24.14 @ 7:25 am