December 20, 2013

And no, this has nothing to do with Fraud Graham.

Pitt has shed it’s strength and conditioning coach.

Strength and conditioning coach Todd Rice has resigned from his position, a Pitt spokesman confirmed tonight. Rice spent the last two years as Pitt’s head strength and conditioning coach, and previously held the same title at N.C. State, Boston College and Cal.

Pitt did not provide a reason for the resignation, and said that it will hire a full-time replacement some time after Jan. 1.

Most of the reviews I heard from current and former players about Rice were not necessarily glowing, and Pitt dealt with a spate of back injuries (usually, though not always, indicative of a conditioning issue) along the offensive line. Left guard Cory King and left tackle Adam Bisnowaty both missed multiple games with back injuries this season.

Not glowing reviews. That may be putting it mildly considering the first source that put out word that Rice was out.

This guy:

TagsRice

Rice was a hire that was shaky from the beginning. His biggest qualification seemed to be that Paul Chryst could trace a family connection to him.

Now since the hire is not going to be announced until after January 1, let the speculation begin.

The first is a familiar one for Pitt fans: Buddy Morris. Morris served as Pitt’s S&C coach from 1980-89, 1997-2001 and 2007-2010. He also worked at the University of Buffalo and with the Cleveland Browns. Morris is currently working as a personal trainer in Buffalo, N.Y., so it would just be a matter of convincing him to move back to Pittsburgh if that’s the direction Chryst wants to go.

The other guy is current Arkansas strength and conditioning coach Ben Herbert. Herbert is a 2002 Wisconsin grad who served on the Badgers’ staff when Chryst was the offensive coordinator there. He was an assistant S&C coach from 2003-2009, and the head S&C coach from 2009-2012, at which point he followed coach Bret Bielema and took the same job at Arkansas. Hertbert is also a Pittsburgh native and a West Allegheny grad…

Is Herbert ready for a pay cut? Because let’s face it, Arkansas can easily match and raise the money.

I’m not against Buddy Morris for his — I don’t know — 5th, 6th, 90th go round at Pitt. God knows the players all love him.

But let’s face it. The announcement isn’t coming until after the bowl game. So we all know who it will be…

Matt House will be the new S&C Coach. Book it.

Drink up bc this program is in the shittttter

Comment by NOPE 12.20.13 @ 8:05 pm

pitt strength coach is incompetent henry calls pitt and no one from the staff calls him back for a month face it pitt football is a cluster fuck and a joke and what is worse house is still the DC.

Comment by Frankcan 12.20.13 @ 8:18 pm

Very curious as to the reasoning. Was he unhappy or is Chryst trying to improve his staff? The first depresses me, the second gives me hope.

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 12.20.13 @ 8:45 pm

If there is no announcement until after Feb 1, then guaranteed it is House

Comment by wbb 12.20.13 @ 8:46 pm

Smiling Stevie and Morris are not exactly “Buddy”, “Buddy”.

Chryst will reach deep into the High School ranks near Madison and bring a trainer in training to join House. Smiling Stevie will be a happy puppy because he will save even more money.

Comment by isnore 12.20.13 @ 9:02 pm

NO they will hire richard simmons becuse he is a happy puppy himself.

Comment by Frankcan 12.20.13 @ 9:11 pm

Tags was a pretty good player…wonder what he’d say about House on his feed if asked?

S&C isn’t always “high profile” coach but if we insist on trying to win and compete with 2 and 3 star guys, then this coach is more important than you think. They need to think this one through.

Let’s hope none of HCPC’s neighbors are out of work.

Comment by htp123 12.20.13 @ 9:11 pm

Did Rice resign or was he canned?

Comment by isnore 12.20.13 @ 9:15 pm

It appeared to me that the team lacked strength, and got winded in the 2nd half. Not a bad move.

Comment by Old School 12.20.13 @ 9:29 pm

htp123 i ask him got nothing back from him but if you think abought it if he thought house was a good DC you would think he would have said yes he is good.
and the fact he said nothing does that mean he think the man sucks.
am i wrong to read it that way what do you think.

Comment by Frankcan 12.20.13 @ 9:40 pm

If House is the new s&c coach, will he be any good?

Comment by TonyinHouston 12.20.13 @ 10:06 pm

We got a death sentence without doing anything wrong except to ourselves and hiring dickface smug steve. Hell SMU is further along than we are and care about football. Close it down for 4-5 years and give fans a few good years. What a trainwreck monkey fucking a football disaster of a program

Comment by Upittbaseball 12.20.13 @ 10:25 pm

Stop the whining

Comment by notrocketscience 12.20.13 @ 10:35 pm

House will not be the new strength and conditioning coach. The new coach will be the guy filming the workouts. He would be most qualified. I got canned from the juice factory because I couldn’t concentrate. Then I got canned from the muffler shop because the work was exhausting.

Strategically, I still think Pitt should explore Vanderlinder in some capacity (special teams, defense, something). Well respected, needs work, knows pa well and did a fine job at state penn.

Agree with comment about Buddy and our AD not getting along. How about a ripped florida high school coach that just wants a break. Perhaps Glade or Miami Northwestern.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 12.20.13 @ 10:41 pm

Bradley for DC…

Comment by The Hagen 12.20.13 @ 10:48 pm

Buddy Morris would be cheap. No one wants him.

Comment by notrocketscience 12.20.13 @ 10:56 pm

Man the news just keeps getting better by the minute! This isn’t stability.

Comment by Shawn 12.20.13 @ 11:11 pm

I second the Bradley idea! Should already be on the staff! They really screwed that one up. The s and c coach is more important than many think. They have more access and time with the players than anyone. Sounds like Rice was bad so this is a good move! And I’m not too upset about the latest recruit lost since he is coming off a major knee injury and we signed the James kid. I like beefing up the line! Reminds me of the old Pitt that I loved!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 12.20.13 @ 11:17 pm

So Chryst had hired 2 duds and its only been 2 years.

Comment by Upittbaseball 12.20.13 @ 11:28 pm

And yet Bradley is hired by no one. Maybe he is still bar backing at the bottle shop.

Comment by pd 12.20.13 @ 11:35 pm

Settle down, people. It was obvious this team had issues with conditioning when our offense was wearing down vs the other defense late in games. If this didn’t happen, I would expect people to be screaming that the program is sinking, not vice versa. It’s a good sign that PC is making changes as needed. I still think the best is yet to come. HTP!

Comment by panther94 12.21.13 @ 12:13 am

Pitt as usual will take the safe / cheap route… No way they pluck a guy from a real program like Arkansas.

Comment by Mike 12.21.13 @ 12:40 am

Make you a deal??

I’ll stop whining, when they start winning??

LOL!!

Comment by Dan 12.21.13 @ 1:00 am

Maybe the special teams coach can be the new S&C coach?

Comment by Iron Duke 12.21.13 @ 2:50 am

Some change even a little one is welcome news. I think this was a no brainer. His resignation came with a severance so don’t feel too bad for him. He’ll find work again. I’m really hoping for some higher level resignations after the bowl game. Some coaches need to get on with their life’s work elsewhere. Again stability only works when you have a good staff assembled. Until then you have to find what works. And then keep it that way.

Comment by TX Panther 12.21.13 @ 6:19 am

Gorman has a good Trib article. I think its fair. Doesn’t bash Pitt’s recruiting as much as it should.

Comment by TX Panther 12.21.13 @ 6:31 am

This is good news. Hopefully a few coaches on D are replaced. I don’t understand why three guys coach DL and LB. How about a designated DB coach. The safeties and CBs struggled most of the year. That duty is shared by Poteat and House. Poteat has barely coached.

Comment by notrocketscience 12.21.13 @ 6:51 am

Except for Palermo, the balance of the defensive coaches including the DC have a total of 10 years college coaches.

House 4, Breckterfield 3, Haering 2, Poteat 1

Comment by wbb 12.21.13 @ 7:46 am

BCS program my ass! Maybe offensively

Comment by wbb 12.21.13 @ 7:47 am

In addition to being more experienced, the offensive staff has 2 good recruiters — Engram and Rudolph.

The defense has none … and the one who probably has the most street cred (Poteat) cannot recruit because he is a part-time asst. Pathetic!

Comment by wbb 12.21.13 @ 8:18 am

notrocketscience- disagree, I’d saying it’s more bitching than whining. Pretty simple, we got rid of a bad s&c coach = good thing. Question is, do we have the guts to get a good dc?

Comment by 1618mt 12.21.13 @ 8:33 am

We really need one of these top flight wide receivers to come. Someone great to start opposite Boyd would really complete what could be a pretty good offense. Our line should be getting better, we will have a deeper stable of running backs, and tight ends and Voytik should be ready.

They will need to score a lot and run the clock.

Donald must have been his own fitness coach, LOL

Comment by gc 12.21.13 @ 9:14 am

Nice piece by Gorman. The article was very interesting and left me wanting more info.

Almost everything that can be said about Pitt’s recruiting has been said but here are a few random comments/thoughts:

- Pitt is a tough sell right now. Perception is realty and that is why it was so important for us to show progress this year. I really think there would be a much different vibe around the program if Pitt was able to win at Navy and against either UNC or Ga. Tech – both very winnable games.

- If the staff didn’t return Henry’s calls for over a month that is mind-boggling. Seriously, when I first heard that I dismissed it immediately because I thought there is no way that could be true. Yet, it keeps resurfacing and if true I can’t even remotely understand how that can happen.

- I wanted a more experienced and well-known/respected DC but House is who we have so I won’t beat that subject to death. What I will say is that since he is in the position, House deserves some time to see what he can do. He’s not getting fired after one year, nor does he deserve to be. The hire was likely the wrong decision but that is in the past and trying to be rational moving forward let’s hope he improves…because that is our only option. If House would have been named an interim DC then that is a different story.

- Someone mentioned that if you were to promote a graduate assistant to a full time position it should have been Poteat. Ummm hell yea! That seems like a no brainer to me. Poteat is a young guy who played at Pitt and had success in the NFL. He coaches a position where the recruiting was very important this year. He is from PA. Geez!

- McKenzie’s comments, like many 18 year olds, are tough to decipher and even more difficult to try and make sense of. Pitt recruiting other RBs has nothing to do with loyalty. Va. Tech has 2 other high 4 star stud RBs in this class alone. Now, maybe there is more to the story (i.e. Pitt didn’t do a good job of keeping McKenzie in the loop or checking on his injury, etc.) I don’t know. But questioning loyalty because a team recruits other RBs just doesn’t even make sense. Again, who knows and those words might just be nothing more than words. Regardless, I wish him well.

- Final Point. If a top local recruit is going to hold a press conference to announce his college decision than that’s fine. I get it. It doesn’t bother me. But, for example, if the hometown team is not in the top why don’t you just let that be known and bring the hats of the other schools. Nicholson seems like a good kid. I wish him well. But just eliminate Pitt beforehand and bring MSU and FSU hats.

Comment by JAM 05 Pitt 12.21.13 @ 9:27 am

@ Emel, Do you know anything about strength and conditioning? Looks like we have another opening for you.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 9:28 am

JAM05, All very good thoughts … however

House may deserve more time but Pitt fans and especially the players don’t … and especially the upperclassmen who have gone thru hell.

With all the freshmen getting PT … some in lieu of upperclassmen (i.e. Johnson instead of Hollins) .. it does appear that everything is pointing to a couple of years from now. But what guarantees are there? We have a new untested QB next year, many holes in the DL, ad still a very ineffective, inexperienced defensive staff.

Comment by wbb 12.21.13 @ 9:49 am

Well the good news is that our program should be upgraded next year if they just bring in an average S&C coach.

The bad news is that the rumors about Rice were correct from the get-go. I recall massive complaints on this board about his hire.

And by the transitive property…if these rumors are true, then the other rumors we are hearing (defensive staff…anyone) might just be true too.

Damn.

Regarding recruiting / KG’s article. I think he makes some valid points. We all make valid points. I’m going to be 100% honest about Nicholson I wasn’t terribly impressed with his film. I didn’t watch a ton of it, but you know sometimes you watch films and you’re just like “Wow, this guy has it”. Dravon Henry’s film made me say that. So did Tyler Boyd’s. I didn’t find myself saying that when I saw Nicholson’s film.

And yet he’s ranked the #1 prospect in PA by the so-called experts, so what the hell do I know.

However, KG’s article did leave me with some measure of validation:

Butler (a recruiting expert) also calls Elizabeth Forward athlete JaQuan Davidson, who committed to Pitt in October, “a better prospect than Nicholson.”

From watching the tapes of the two I’d say that Davdison is as fast or faster than Nicholson and he seems a bit more athletic.

But again…that’s just me and my untrained eye.

Hail to Pitt.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 12.21.13 @ 9:49 am

For those crying about 1)the lousy bowl 2)confusion and failures in recruiting 3) poor performing and failing coaches. I would point out that despite all of that, we still pulled in some pretty good kids, won 6 games when a lot of us thought we’d win 4, and beat Notre Dame. The administration shows a mediocre interest in fielding a team and has been rewarded with exactly what they paid for. For those who want to compete at the top levels of college football either choose another team or collectively lobby the administration of the University to attract a top coach. You can’t make French Pastry out of stale bread.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 10:17 am

@ Dan, let me get this straight? So if we beat Bowling Green and end up with a bowl victory and a winning season, then you’ll decide to take off your diaper?

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.21.13 @ 10:24 am

Spirit, I agree with you about the administration. Somehow, three days before Christmas, I sit here looking at the Pitt roster and I can’t even remember what players were recruited by what coach. The classes are so unbalanced we are multiple classes before this mess is cleaned up. As far as Chryst is concerned, I went to all the home games this year and went to the Navy game, I like Chryst but he has a ways to go as a head coach. Pushing sixty and I would like 1981-1983 for Christmas please.

Comment by cas myzlinski 12.21.13 @ 10:28 am

Atlantic Panther, Spirit, JAM05 and others, with the new membership into the ACC and the issues with PSU and WVU, we should have been kicking ass and taking names. The iron WAS hot.

Instead, we just again take our rightful place behind those programs. They have the resources, the fans and have paid for good coaching … and we have ineffective leadership and/or an admin that doesn’t give a damn

Comment by wbb 12.21.13 @ 10:33 am

@Dr. Tom, I can remember a long time ago going to bed on Christmas Eve. I couldn’t fall asleep because I was listening for Santa and kept getting up and looking out the window of my bedroom for a sign of him. You posting about beating Bowling Green and having a winning season reminded me of that. Merry Christmas Doc, Merry, Merry Christmas.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 10:35 am

No, 1618mt, it’s whining! Always the negative, always the glass half empty, always the pity party for the poor Pitt fan.
Call it what you want to, but on the one hand I hear nothing but how guys heads have to roll and a change in the coaching staff is a constant bitch session, as soon as a guy on that coaching staff gets shown the door, the negativity thrown at that occurrance is unfrickin believable. What a bunch of frickin losers, Won’t you please make a New Year’s resolution to transform yourselves into penn state fans and then plague them with your negative energy in the future.

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.21.13 @ 10:36 am

Some thoughts on the recruiting footprints, particularly Pitt’s focus on WPIAL, regional and national footprints.

247sports has a state-by-state breakdown by state of the kids they have on Pitt’s “target” list. It appears that this list is made of kids who have had some sort of extensive recruiting contact with the school – be it some sort of substantial interest or an actual offer. It also includes commitments.

There are 155 players on the list. Here’s the list.

link to pitt.247sports.com

Of those 155 players…

- 60 are from PA. 20 are from Ohio. 12 are from FL. Those are the 1, 2 and 3 on the list of Pitt’s most targeted states in this 2014 class.

- There is obviously a heavy concentration on PA and the border states, which is what you’d expect from a regional program like Pitt. Of the 155, a total of 107 hail from PA or an adjacent state. However, let’s take a conference-centric look at this.

You know the criticism Chryst sometimes gets for leaning too heavily on the stereotypical Big Ten country? Not the case. Consider this:

Of the 155 kids here, 92 hail from states with a Big Ten school presence – PA (60), OH (21), Iowa (1), Illinois (1), Michigan (3), Minnesota (3) and Wisconsin (3).

Of the 155 kids here, 104 of them hail from states with an ACC school presence – PA (60), FL (12), GA (6), MD (8), NC (4), NY (7), SC (1) and VA (6).

Granted, there is some overlap there, but that’s primarily because Pennsylvania has schools with ACC and Big Ten membership.

Either way, I can’t say I have a problem with this. I have no issues with Chryst’s & Co. dipping into Big Ten country because even if you take PA out of the equation, more than 60% of it is in Ohio and that’s the richest “Big Ten” state in terms of football talent. If you’re going to go into the lesser Big Ten states, get top-level talent like they did with James.

I would like to see even more of a focus in Florida, Georgia, and Virginia moving forward. 24 of 155 isn’t bad, but I’d still love to see that number get up around 40.

Comment by Stoosh 12.21.13 @ 10:37 am

Yes I was giving my computer screen the bird when I was typing that last post.

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.21.13 @ 10:39 am

This mornings Pomroy rankings have Syracuse 8 Pitt 10 NC 16 Duke 17 Virginia 24 Fla St 32 and no one else from the ACC in the top 50. NC lost Hairston for the year and there starting sophomore forward is down for 2 weeks with knee problems. I am beside myself with grief over their misfortune.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 10:41 am

Rice was considered a S&C coach who has been let go from NC ST. The issue is hiring. At least now HCPC knows what he doesn’t want. But this masks the larger problem. Pitt as a University is simply will not place the required assets to hire the best people. since the resources are at best average, you get average performances. Pitt will not pony up for the top S&C coach.

Comment by chethejet 12.21.13 @ 10:41 am

Stoosh, we could target all of the Top 150 prospects in ACC territory … but what good who our targets are if we don’t get any of them?

Is there a bridesmaid award?

Comment by wbb 12.21.13 @ 10:48 am

@Dr. Tom, no, I have a boat load of ‘Depends’ for the next 5 years all ready to go!!!

Winning?? I guess technically, you’re correct.

No, what I meant, was a winning program.

You know, like maybe make the friggin’ top 25, hell, I’d settle for top 40 at this point.

Maybe do it a couple years in a row.

Maybe win 9 and 10 games consistently, for several years in a row.

Holy cow, I’m askin’ for the moon.

I know, I know, it’s a “building” process. Trust me, I’ve known that, I’ve known that for a long, long, long time.

Comment by Dan 12.21.13 @ 10:53 am

DR Tom were you not bitching abought recruting last week .
dont pick on Dan.

Comment by Frankcan 12.21.13 @ 10:55 am

@FRANKCAN, hey, good morning.

He must have had some bad Scotch last night.

Hell, I get blasted more for being too positive having HCPC’s back all the time!!! Ha Ha

Hey, I’ll take ‘whiner’, a little variety is good for the soul!!!

Comment by Dan 12.21.13 @ 11:07 am

Allthough Frank, I must admit, I have soured quite a bit since we crapped the bed after the
Notre Dame game.

Comment by Dan 12.21.13 @ 11:13 am

If they can get Buddy Morris back that would be great.

He’s one of the best in the world.

Comment by Hurriquake 12.21.13 @ 11:17 am

Dan, I enjoy both you and the good Dr.’s posts and my take on things is lately Dr. Tom is like most of us from time to time, too heavily vested. I know I didn’t want to get out of bed on Wednesday after we crapped ourselves in MSG. I know by your passion you have been there too. Hell I remember wanting to duke it out with Frankcan last basketball season over one of his posts. We all love Pitt too much for our own good. Too bad those who actually run things don’t share our passion.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 11:20 am

Hurriquake, Unless Buddy is also one of the least expensive he needn’t apply.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 11:23 am

@wwb – you’re right. It’s very risky business in college football to play for a few years from and not the present.

I really wish the seniors could have went out with a bang. A better bowl games. More support and positive press locally. At least the seniors got the big W against ND. That seemed to be a great feeling for them!

Comment by JAM 05 Pitt 12.21.13 @ 11:31 am

This mornings RPI Cuse 3 NC 17 Pitt 18 Duke 42 Va 47

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 11:31 am

@SOS22, you are correct.

Reminds me, I once told someone Pitt had some fans that are as passionate as any SEC fans you could find.

They laughed.

I said, “listen to what I said”.

“not the numbers, nor the volume, I’m not talking about that”.

Then he understood what I meant.

I actually even referenced the Blather, to some effect like “I’ve got some friends, cousins and guys on the blog I go onto (Blather), that are as passionate about their team, as anyone else in the country.

So, we don’t have the numbers, but many of us do have the passion.

So, run Cal Poly out of the building??

Comment by Dan 12.21.13 @ 11:49 am

@dan, Ever since Tuesday I have been itching for us to get back on the court. Losing a game we should have won in such a manner left me frustrated and angry. I don’t care that it is Cal Poly or Aunt Poly , I want to abuse our opponent and rub the stink off. I would like to win this game by 50 points if we can. I don’t really care how many as long it is by as many as we can possibly get.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 12:09 pm

I want to take a second to wish all my fellow Pitt supporters out there a Merry Christmas.

I think we will finish out this year strong. Pick up these final two non-conf wins and get ready for ACC play. Anybody following the teams in this conference see that Pitt is no worse than the 3rd or 4th best team in the league. I actually think our style of play this year will fit perfectly in the league and look for a 13- 5 conf record… so 25-6 overall… beautiful.

The football team will come together,show some pride, and beat a solid BG team. A 7-6 season this year. Not expected by many. I’m not going to go overboard over a couple lost recruits.HCPC continues to impress me from a character perspective and I think he has us on the right track. I look for this team to see 8-10 wins each of the next few years and be a player in our dvision of the ACC.

Happy Holidays to all.

Comment by Pantherman 12.21.13 @ 12:23 pm

Happy Winter Solstice

Comment by alcofan 12.21.13 @ 12:32 pm

Well put Pantherman, same to you and all!!

Comment by Dan 12.21.13 @ 12:32 pm

Wow Alco, winter just starts today, feels like I’ve had a long one already!!

Hey Doc, how about this for some positive energy???

Each day, staying lighter out longer!!! Spring is right around the corner!!!

Comment by Dan 12.21.13 @ 12:35 pm

is Buddy a buddy with our AD? … or maybe the questions should be is the AD buddy with Buddy?

Comment by wbb 12.21.13 @ 12:54 pm

Thanks for the “therapy” replies from my earlier rant, guys. It’s appreciated. In reply to Frankcan, in no way was I “picking” on Dan, I just asked him a pointed question to his post. His reply to my “winning” question simply amplifed my previous POV.

Think about Dan’s reply for a second, seriously? We have one game left on our schedule for 2013. It’s a bowl game. We win, we are 7-6 for the season and Dan rationalizes this as “technically” being a winning season. No Dan, ACTUALLY that’s a winning season. And it’s all that we have right now. There is no 9 or 10 game season to be had this year, that ship has sailed. Your quote, “I’ll stop whining when they start winning??”. A 7-6 season is a start at “winning”. It should also be a stopping point for whining.

Look it, here’s an analogy, it just makes no sense at all to fall in love with a fat, ugly girl, get her to marry you and then fall into the routine of condemning her for not being the spitting image of Jennifer Aniston everyday that you wake up and roll over to say good morning. Either marry the Jennifer type hottie in the first place or stay a batchlor. The constant irrational whining about that which isn’t goin to change overnight will end up getting your throat slashed in your sleep if your not careful!

That’s the essence of my previous rant and my issue with the negativity that I’m just fed up with, what is the fucking point? Who’s side are you guys on anyhow? Many seem to relish in the practice of Pitt bashing. You complain about the coaching staff and the need for change, then Chryst cuts somebody loose and the thread has more negative comments about that action than positive ones. Jesus H. Christ, am I the only one who sees it that way. Chryst is damned when he does AND damned if he doesn’t.

And Frankcan I wasn’t bitching about the recruiting last week, I expressed my disappointment in not getting guys like Henry and Nicholson, yeah that hurts me when I know our team could dearly have used their talents but that is not bitching, and I sure didn’t throw any of our guys under the bus for coming up empty on either of those misses either.

Guys, right now were married to that fat ugly girl. Get used to it. But in the process, if I can get her to spend sometime on the treadmill and have her start eating a more healthy diet, then I’m going to encourage that, that’s called positive energy. A win by the Panthers against Bowling Green would be a step, like that, in the right direction. If you love Pitt and want to encorage this team, rooting for a win in our bowl game is all we can do right now, to get that “winning” program that Dan envisions going. One step at a time.

Hail to Pitt and best wishes to all of my fellow Blatherites hope you all have a happy holiday season.

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.21.13 @ 1:36 pm

Days get longer after today. Since House doesn’t stay in the office once the sun goes down, this gives him more time to work. He needs the practice.

Comment by TX Panther 12.21.13 @ 1:41 pm

Even fat ugly girls can get makeovers and lose weight. There is still hope for Pitt.

Comment by TX Panther 12.21.13 @ 1:44 pm

Well put Dr. Tom.

Comment by milobloom 12.21.13 @ 1:51 pm

Wbb and Dan did you read gorman of the trib
he gave chryst a shot on being a bad recruiter
he said he needs to learn how to close or hire a recruiter who can.
that sounds like what EMel has said a 100 times
plus he said outher things that were right on even took a small shot at house you all should read it.

Comment by Frankcan 12.21.13 @ 2:00 pm

As they say fat girls need loving too.. Guess we are all chubby chasers.

Comment by John 12.21.13 @ 2:08 pm

Dr Tom, Now you have gone too far. When you start to pick on those of us that need to improve their diet and get on a treadmill you are hitting a little to close to home. I can live with most of your rants but lay off us fat folks you long posting jerk. ILMAO

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 2:26 pm

Don’t know much about fat ugly girls.

But a first rate strength & conditioning coach might be in order.

Comment by Emel 12.21.13 @ 2:33 pm

Nobody loves a fat woman but OH,OH, OH can a fat woman love.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 2:35 pm

EMel did you read gorman from the trib he took a nice shot at chryst on recruiting . he said what you have said abought being a better closer or hireing a recruiter that can give it a read bud

Comment by Frankcan 12.21.13 @ 2:42 pm

Dr. Tom do you know any good plastic surgeons? Zing!

Comment by Atlanta Panther 12.21.13 @ 2:44 pm

frankcan you are aware that they did not call him for a month because it is against NCAA rules to call recruits during that month right? you’re allowed to send letters and cards, no phone calls.

there is enough stuff that is actually true and correct to bitch about the program about the staff not calling a recruit when they’re not allowed to call him is not one of them

Comment by deepelemblues 12.21.13 @ 2:44 pm

I could never get into the plump ones but I knew a guy who adored fat women. He was tall thin and generally better than average looking. These fat girls would have done anything for this man. If he could have had that kind of control over hot girls he would be a legend. I have never seen women so mesmerized by a man. Almost made me wish I could stomach the big girls. One mans toilet is another mans throne.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 2:53 pm

This from the Trib:

So what’s the problem?

The two best guys in Western Pennsylvania,” Farrell said, “are Dravon Henry and (Thomas Jefferson linebacker) Chase Winovich.”

Both are from pipeline programs. Neither picked Pitt.

That’s not just bad for perception but also reality. Pitt must own its backyard every year.

Read more: link to triblive.com

I forgot about Winovich. Isn’t the Thomas Jefferson HC, a Pitt man. Cherpak or something.

Comment by Emel 12.21.13 @ 2:55 pm

According to the recruiting sites PITT has now lost 8 of the Top 10 recruits in Western Pa.

No matter how you cut the cake, that sux.

For us to get better we needed to get at least half of them. Year in and year out.

Sheesh even Wanny (who most of you thought was a dunce) knew that.

Comment by Emel 12.21.13 @ 3:00 pm

Ok now on to a less depressing subject (at least until March)….basketball.

Game starts in an hour.

Will our boys rebound against ‘rent-a-win’ Cal Polygram or is it Poly. I have quite a few records with Polygram labels.

PITT is a 17.5 point favorite

Think we cover today !

Comment by Emel 12.21.13 @ 3:07 pm

Gorman compares our program over the last 10 years. If all we did was what we always did we could expect the same results. I really don’t care where Chryst gets his players, all I care about is how they play. Granted your backyard ought to feed you but given how shitty we have been we are lucky to get any locals because they couldn’t help notice how bad we have sucked. If recruiting estimates were accurate Notre Dame wouldn’t have lost a game in the last 10 years.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 3:10 pm

btw thx Frankie for the heads up !

As the article says; we certainly do need a dynamic closer for the Wisconsinites.

Comment by Emel 12.21.13 @ 3:12 pm

@ emel, They have kept it closer against better.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 3:12 pm

With the 2 major city newspapers not exactly in Pitt’s corner and of course the PG being a much bigger culprit than the Trib.

And a town full of Ped State & Wvcc alumni, with some of them being in the aforementioned media.

This is ALL MORE THE REASON, why it’s imperative to have a dynamic HC and have dynamic recruiters.

As ppl have noted, there is absolutely no ‘buzz’ surrounding Pitt football at all. An afterthought in our own city. And what little buzz there is, is negative or in ridicule.

Sad state of affairs, when the opportunity of a Lifetime was there for the picking.

Comment by Emel 12.21.13 @ 3:20 pm

deepelemblues that is not what dokish was talking abought he knows abought down time and he would not post what he did if that was the time.
and last year a recruit did not know he even had a offer they forgot to tell him look it up. it was on line the kid him self posted it.
lucky he found out and he did go to pitt.

Comment by Frankcan 12.21.13 @ 3:23 pm

lol that was Zach Challingsworth Frankie.

Kid didn’t even know he was offered by us. too funny

Comment by Emel 12.21.13 @ 3:26 pm

Talk about the ‘Keystone Cops’. Oy Vey

Comment by Emel 12.21.13 @ 3:27 pm

After a few years of getting close to $20 million per year, they better use some/MOST of that green, like they did with the basketball program, and invest in what is getting them thAT $20 mil per year.

THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM !

Comment by Emel 12.21.13 @ 3:33 pm

EMel thank you i could not think of his name.
as you say oy vey

Comment by Frankcan 12.21.13 @ 3:47 pm

I think besides the culture at the head of Pitt athletic programs the other huge problem is the stadium. Pitt needs a stadium that seats 37,500 that the student body can stumble into. Young people want fun and nothing is more fun than getting loaded and screaming your head off with you classmates at a ballgame. In our heyday we only filled Pitt stadium for big games. A smaller stadium that puts the students right in the middle of the action like the Pete does would make for a powerful home field advantage. It would also get filled and make the whole program more attractive. I really think Pitt got duped into playing at Heinz Field. In order to build it they needed a tax increase so as to make it look like it wasn’t just to appease the Rooneys they stuck us in the mix. I can’t see a single advantage to Pitt to that stadium. If Pitt built a correctly sized stadium in Oakland it would pay for itself and make a big difference in the program.

Comment by spiritofsection22 12.21.13 @ 3:49 pm

spirit what you say is true but it wont happen
if they wont spend to get top asst coachs
if they wont spend say 2 million more to make pitt a top football program more for recruiting etc.

they wont spring for a new home.

Comment by Frankcan 12.21.13 @ 3:56 pm

@DR. Tom.

1. My first quip way above, “I’ll stop whining when they start winning”, was a direct reply to someone who said “stop whining”.

It was a quip, a quick quip, and meant only as, I don’t like the blather, when one person tells another person what to do. Not a fan of that. And more to the point, it was meant as only as a funny.

2. If you took a pool of most people on here, I bet I wouldn’t fall into the category of a “whiner”. Maybe I would.

I was self-mocking myself, (I’m sure there is a proper word for what I did) for something that I believe is not even close to the truth.

Other than the past few weeks, where I’ve posted concern that we might get blown out by Bowling Green, and that

“EVENTUALLY” “IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS FOR HCPC”,

we are going to need to have better and better recruiting classes in the future,

I’ve done nothing but have HCPC’s and Dixon’s back for the last 5 years I’ve been on here.

I predicted Pitt would run the table after the Notre Dame game. Nice prediction, huh?

I’ve said I like Chryst getting big OL, sounds like his M.O..

I’ve told people that have called for Dixon’s firing they are out of their minds.

I’ve told people bitching about not getting a Nat Championship, that it took Boeheim and Calhoun well over 20 years to get theirs, Dixon hasn’t even been here 10.

I was so pro getting out of the Big East and getting into the Big Ten or ACC a couple years ago, people were getting sick of hearing me say it. And that was two years before their was even an inkling.

Then it happened and I haven’t said one little bad thing about the ACC, I’ve cheered the ACC on here continually, in both sports. All sports for that matter.

4. And finally, the crux of the matter. You questioned me, and I came on and said, I was wrong about my “winning” comment.

I thought the gist of it was pretty obvious to most . I stated I was talking about a “winning” program and that I meant a “winning” program. You know, where I used the word “technically”.

Then you decided to continue. So, I will.
I will stand by my use of “technically”.

If we have five years in a row, of 7-6, do you think the vast majority of Pitt fans and college football fans, will consider us a “winning” program?? I’ll give you the answer. No, we won’t be considered a winning program for going 7-6, hell, throw and 8-4 in there.

Winning programs are 9-3, 10-2, 11-1 consistently over the years to most people, teams that are in the top 25 every year, that’s what a “winning” program is.

You kept talking about the 7-6, when I clearly stated, that was not what I was talking about or meant.

Now, maybe I was caught in the crossfire of a rant that you wanted to get off your chest, and I presented the vehicle.

You used my name several times, so I take that as you’re talking about me. You called me out on the “winning” even after I said we’re talking about two different things.

Comment by Dan 12.21.13 @ 4:16 pm

Hell, I just looked over my 3 posts on here today to fellow blatherites, this banter not included.

The gist of them.

1. Let’s run Cal Poly out of the building

2. Happy Holidays to all

3. Pitt fans may not be large in numbers, but the ones we do have are as passionate as any others in the country.

Hey, if I’m a whiner, I’m a whiner, whatever.

Comment by Dan 12.21.13 @ 4:19 pm

I do apologize, for the type set, of above ramblings. I don’t know what keys I hit, I am sorry for the strain on anyones eyes who bothers to read it.

Comment by Dan 12.21.13 @ 4:21 pm

cat fight lets call these guys house wives of pitt blather

Comment by paul shannon 12.21.13 @ 4:28 pm

DAN YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SAY YOUR SORRY TO ANY ONE AND YOU DONT NEED TO EXPLAIN YOUR SELF YOU ARE DAN THE MAN.
DR TOM just gets in a bad mood some times he has done it to me but he is really not mean just pissed at things like the rest of us.
DAN YOU CAN BITCH ALL YOU LIKE I AM WITH YOU BUD AND I AM SURE EMel IS TO,

Comment by Frankcan 12.21.13 @ 4:45 pm

Nice article that for me, as a koolaid drinker, puts things into perspective on PC right now.

link to cardiachill.com

Henry: His mom is a headcase and there were issues around them going back to the summer. Bet you $ his mother is a Pain in the A#$ for whoever is coaching at WVU…

McKensie, has attitude issues and his comments at his announcement confirm it. The fact they recruited other RBs so hard shows they never we sold on his “intangibles”… and rightly so.

Nicolson??… hey he was just one of those kids that was going somewhere other than Pgh and someone said it right when they said track was important to him.

meanwhile we pick up blue chip OL and no one gives PC proper cred for that…

… and he is evening getting a few folks from Florida… that magical land of recruiting… and he gets no credit for that either.

For me the matter is can he keep improving as a coach, and improving his team along the way.

As long as each year builds on the last moving forward we are fine. Next year we have to win the games vs. Navy, G. Tech, etc. of the world… then we are an 8 win program… in a few years we get to 9-10 wins… that is as good as it will get… and if we do that consistently that is fine by me.

Comment by Pittscript 12.21.13 @ 4:54 pm

Tonight is the longest darkest night of the year. It can only get lighter. H2P

Comment by Frank MD 12.21.13 @ 6:46 pm

@ Dan,you hit the nail squarely on the head, “Now, maybe I was caught in the crossfire of a rant that you wanted to get off your chest, and I presented the vehicle”.

I can’t explain myself any better than I’ve already tried to above, so I’ll leave it at that and will just reiterate that I wasn’t picking on you or calling you out, just utilizing the vehicle. My apologies.

Moving forward on a positive note, who has a good suggestion for our next S&C coach, a plus would be a guy who is also a dynamic recruiter? And let’s start discussing how we prepare to defend against a potent BG offense led by a QB that has a chip on his shoulder, daring Pitt to flick off.

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.21.13 @ 7:07 pm

I’m with you script – we get the two best lineman – loose Nicholson (as expected),don’t get the head case,and are ahead in regards to running back recruits, we have the #40 recruiting class, good potential..and people are freaking out. Unrealistic expectations.

Comment by markp 12.21.13 @ 7:09 pm

WBB,

Good point in response to my post above, and I left that unspoken.

It’s one thing to target these guys. It’s another thing to be able to close and actually get them to sign their letter of intent.

The initial premise of my post was to point out where Pitt was looking for its players. The reason I wanted to look into it was to frame a response to the overall discussions I’ve seen here lately on recruiting. There has criticism that Chryst is focusing too much on a “Big Ten” type player and not enough on the speed/athletic types needed to compete in the ACC. I was curious to see if this was in fact the case, and found evidence that perhaps it wasn’t.

Either way, the bottom line is that Pitt still needs to close on these players. I think things are moving in the right direction with some of the recruiting, but not all of it. We’ll see.

Comment by Stoosh 12.21.13 @ 7:13 pm

I’m with both of you, markp & Pittscript, but we really do need to get either Kamara or Jennings in a Panther uniform, agreed? We sure could have used Nicholson also, hated missing on him.

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.21.13 @ 7:29 pm

Wbb DR Tom buddy morris wont be back as are next
S&C coach when are wonderful AD smug steve fired wanny buddy told him he was Gutless and Egotistical
good for buddy but i dont think he will be back any time soon.

Comment by Frankcan 12.21.13 @ 7:55 pm

Maybe we can get HIS trainer to be the next S&C coach?

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.21.13 @ 8:38 pm

PITT doesn’t need buddy but someone that emphasizes strength , power and speed. Walt brought his SC from OSU and he emphasized speed and PITT looked small. Wanny brought buddy and PITT looked big and strong but SLOW. Hopefully HCPC gets one that does both. Big, strong and fast.

H2P!

BTW – Merry Christmas and its good to be back in the Burgh.

Comment by VAYinzer 12.21.13 @ 10:01 pm

just a thought this is just a guess brian bott
was well liked bye wisconsin players.
he quit after 13 years was the asst strength coach
he quit when new coach took over he is 39 years old
i have no info just a guess.
but he was there when chryst was there who knows.

Comment by Frankcan 12.21.13 @ 11:03 pm

I give PC a lot of credit here. He made a bad hire and took steps to correct it. Everyone is going to make mistakes, and no one should be held to a standard of perfection. So, this shows me the program is indeed heading the right way. Especially if the hire was due to connection, it shows me a lot that PC took almost immediate action.

Comment by PittMan 12.22.13 @ 12:57 pm

@@@@@@@

To Dr Tom

Will give you some unsolicited advise: many of us don’t read
your posts. Way too long. Brevity is important.

Comment by JR 12.22.13 @ 3:50 pm