November 23, 2013

Let’s Go Bowling!!!

Filed under: Football,Opponent(s) — Justin @ 8:58 pm

Well, it wasn’t pretty, but something I’m a big fan of is that this team has now won several games fans normally expect them to lose. I expected Duke to pull off the miracle comeback. I knew when Notre Dame’s TJ Jones went 80 yards to get a 21-14 lead, Pitt would collapse. Sure, we’ve seen a few moments only Pitt could pull off, but at the end of the day, we’ve seen this team come back and tie three games in a row after being down in the second half. Then they won two of those three.  Six wins in the ACC is significantly better than six wins in the Big East.

While this season has been slightly disappointing, there’s a huge difference between 5-7 and 6-6. It’s gigantic. Even the eternal optimist in me thought the best realistic scenario was 8-4 and this team certainly could’ve achieved that with a bounce here or there. I won’t bother with “what if” scenarios though.  Barring a crazy scenario, this team will go to a non-Birmingham destination in December. For such a young team, those few extra weeks of practice are huge. I know I’ll enjoy bowl projections a lot more now that I know I get to see Pitt play in one.

Savor the ugly win and enjoy the fact that even through all of the turmoil of coaching changes, arrests, transfers, and all of the other miscellaneous ugliness, this program has not missed a bowl game since 2007. You know who wishes they could say that right now? Florida. We still don’t know if  Chryst can lead this team to something above mediocrity, but after Wannstedt missed a bowl game his first three seasons in a far better scenario, it’s safe to say Chryst’s first two steps have been a lot better.

Sorry for my lack of internet presence during the game today. My wife and I had our first baby shower hosted by some local friends and we picked her up a new car today (30 miles away and it required two trips) . We had a busy day. But, presents, new car, and a Pitt win? I’d call that a great day. For those wondering, my wife and Calvin are doing just fine. Calvin has been quite active lately, he was a big fan of the Penguins game last night.

Congrats to Pitt! It has been a great day of football. Pitt wins. psu loses and my team won today at Heinz. Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Ghost of Pete Gonzalez 11.23.13 @ 9:02 pm

Six games in the ACC is not necessarily better than 6 games in the BE … depends who you play. Yes, FSU is a Top team and on a given day, Clemson can be very good on most days … but then the 3rd best team is Duke.

Comment by wbb 11.23.13 @ 9:22 pm

I think I counted 11 teams will be bowl eligible in the ACC…We could take another confrences slot…fine by me…lets hope we don’t get embarrassed again…h2p

Comment by Keith 11.23.13 @ 9:30 pm

Nowadays, there are over 70 bowl slots and a 126 or so D1 teams

Comment by wbb 11.23.13 @ 9:34 pm

now we ask which bowl do we go to.
to start the ACC has 10 teams that have at least 6 wins and if ND gets a bowl from the ACC this year then it is 11 teams and the ACC has only 8 bowl tie in this year.
now the AAC has 6 bowl tie in this year but only 4 teams with more then 6 wins.
so guess which bowls the AAC wont fill
that is right the beef bowl and the BBVA that is right pitts and EMel most loved bowl.
so 2 teams from the ACC will have to cover outher conference bowls if they want to get all teams into a bowl could we be headed to the bbva once more.
the ACC would not do that to us our would they.

Comment by Frankcan 11.23.13 @ 9:36 pm

Just win baby!!! Donald is a BEAST!!! Single handed won that game.
Coaches game management and play calling isn’t great but has been improving all season and compared to last season.
Agree with you that this team is showing some grit.
Beat Miami. H2P

Comment by Tackle made by Hugh 11.23.13 @ 9:37 pm

And your point is what, wbb?

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.23.13 @ 9:39 pm

LOL at the PA meathead/steelers fan looking favorably at 6 wins in the 2012 BE to the 2013 ACC

Comment by Captain Obvious 11.23.13 @ 9:44 pm

If wbb means Clemson’s “on a given day” equals any day they don”t play FSU i agree

Go bow down to your Joepa cutout

Comment by Scrote 11.23.13 @ 9:50 pm

1) the ACC is like all the other BCS conferences .. which has a small percentage of really good teams, and the rest not so good. the BE of a couple years ago was different in that almost anybody can beat anybody. Yet, bottom feeder Syracuse beat a 7-win ND team and a few bowl-bound B10 teams.

2. Playing in a bowl nowadays, even compared to 5-6 years ago, is just not a big deal .. the 15 practices mean much more than most of these bowls

Comment by wbb 11.23.13 @ 10:02 pm

anyone watching ASU – UCLA? AsU has blown a big lead, now down by 5 with 3:00 and the ball.

Comment by wbb 11.23.13 @ 10:11 pm

UCLA is still down that is

Comment by wbb 11.23.13 @ 10:13 pm

Asu 38. Ucla 33. Maybe Grahm is a good coach?

Comment by Dan 72 11.23.13 @ 11:13 pm

Every team in the ACC beats South Florida, UCONN, and Temple this year 85% of the time or better. All of ‘em. Sure, NC State or Virginia loses a few games to South Florida with a few bounces, but all of those teams couldn’t even begin to compete in the ACC. Cinci and Louisville are basically the stronger schools you’d play, and FSU and Miami are a better 1-2 as far as our schedule goes. Face it, the ACC is a big step up from the Big East.

So you’re looking at a schedule where 3 poor teams are replaced by competent teams. 6-6 is a good improvement.

Comment by AJMayo 11.23.13 @ 11:14 pm

I’m thinking beef bowl for Pitt. Ummm and I think FSU, Clemson, Miami and Duke are a tad better than UCF, Louisville, Cincy and Rutgers. For what it’s worth they are better than Ohio State, Mich State, Wisconsin, and Minnesota too.

Comment by John 11.23.13 @ 11:28 pm

wbb, the AAC has four teams with winning records, the ACC has 10. It’s not the SEC, but it is significantly better. C’mon Son!

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 11.23.13 @ 11:34 pm

And for what it’s worth Pitt fans, Pitt beat ND, ND beat ASU, so…

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 11.23.13 @ 11:40 pm

Yeah and Graham beat everyone else except them. We would win 4 games maybe with AZ States Schedule.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.23.13 @ 11:50 pm

I don’t think anyone is trying to say that going to a bowl is akin to going to the Superbowl. But for this team — or any team — it is still an achievement. (You don’t want to be one of the teams NOT going.) Why unnecessarily diminish it?

Comment by JCE 11.23.13 @ 11:53 pm

Damn, I tire of you, Upitt. Imagine if we lost, you’d be in hog heaven. We win, and you bash, because we barely win. F all you aholes who just want to complain. Get a life. If you’re a true Pitt fan, you’re happy tonight. Let’s beat the Canes! HTP!

Comment by panther94 11.24.13 @ 12:07 am

I looked at the bowl situation earlier this evening. Even with two BCS teams, the ACC will probably fill up all its designated slots before Pitt is selected to a bowl. A win over Miami and a Maryland loss to NC State might change that, but I find that combination unlikely.

Therefore, you need to look at the unfilled bowls. I project five vacancies, listed in order of payout: Pinstripe (Big XII), Advocare (SEC), BBVA Compass (SEC), Poinsettia (Army), and Idaho Potato (MWC). Pitt is immediately out of the running for the Advocare bowl, since the opponent would be another ACC team, as well as the Compass bowl, as it is contractually obligated to select a Sun Belt or C-USA team when the SEC cannot fill.

The Pinstripe would be an ideal location, but…Notre Dame is available. An extra Pac-12 team should also available for the Poinsettia bowl. Which leaves… a trip to Boise.

Of course, all these calculations depend on 2 SEC, 2 ACC, and 2 Pac-12 teams in the BCS. Should, say Ohio State fall to MSU in the B1G championship game, or the BCS leaves Oregon out in favor of Baylor, an entirely new calculation would need to occur.

Is it weird that I find this calculation fun?

Comment by MattX 11.24.13 @ 1:24 am

Enjoy it fellas! Just enjoy! It took Wanny who I love til year 4 to get to a bowl. It was ugly but anyone will take a win, right Florida? Wow! Donald is a beast! Hope he wins many awards and the Steelers get him! Jury still out on Chryst and I hope this young team will get better and I think they will! Hail to Pitt! As Sam said in Cheers, “we’re not the worst!”

Comment by Sweet Caroline 11.24.13 @ 1:26 am

Watching the ASU, UCLA game last night. The announcer mentioned Grahms stop at Pitt, he said that Pitt made promises to Grahm and didn’t keep them, I wonder what he meant by that!

Comment by Moe Greene 11.24.13 @ 6:23 am

@@@@@@@

Forget Fraud. Who cares about his team. The talk of
comparing the ACC to the American is ludicrous. Pitt
is in a better place ( no more Wednesday Thursday or Friday
night games) quality opponents ( no more 5 non conference games) etc. let’s enjoy the W and then the bowl game. Hoping for a trip to Shreveport and the SEC as an opponent.

Comment by JR 11.24.13 @ 6:52 am

The two idiots that announced the Arizona State were talking up the F’n fake jerk off BS of a coach Fraud! The PAC 12 south sucks and he should of lost to Wisconsin, I hope so badly Stanford and what ever bowl team the play beat them buy 100 points. Wait till next year and USC is USC again and they play Oregon and Stanford in the regular season.

Thanks coach Chryst for another bowl game keep grinding your players are on the way and a brighter future with them !

Comment by Steve h 11.24.13 @ 7:01 am

People misinterpreted what I wrote above .. let me try again.

there are approx. 10% of D1 schools who are the elite and about 20% who are mired at the bottom as perennial losers. The rest are the vast majority who occasionally have a really good year (Duke) but mainly are just good enough to make a bowl …. or barely miss it. (56% of D1 teams make bowls nowadays while another 10% or so barely miss out.)

My point is that, except maybe for the SEC, there isn’t a whole lot of difference between the vast majority of the team no matter what conference you are in. We are good enough to beat 75% of the B12 or B12 teams, but we can also lose to many of them.

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 7:21 am

I compared the ACC to the recent BE, not the current AAC. (I wasn’t even thinking of the AAC as a BCS league.

The current AAC has 2 pretty good teams and then a major drop-off, much lie the Mountain West and the WAC used to be. The recent BE had much more balance where occasionally the bottom teams woudd beat the better teams.

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 7:30 am

There is no reason to be porting something negative following yesterdays win and becoming bowl eligible.
Hail tp Pitt

Comment by notrocketscience 11.24.13 @ 8:02 am

Bowl eligible just means mediocre fellas. I’m not proud of that. I’m still waiting for a bowl on new years against a meaningful opponent. Wake me up when that happens.

Comment by TX Panther 11.24.13 @ 8:22 am

I agree with wbb. The key is how does this program consistently become part of the 10 percent like our basketball program. Otherwise we are just average or a tease once in a while. Let’s beat Miami next Friday and finish strong.

Comment by TX Panther 11.24.13 @ 8:27 am

However you feel about it …. the main thing Friday is to enjoy the best Pitt player since Larry Fitz play his final home game.

Not ready to put him past H Green as the best defensive player ever, but Donald is certainly something very special

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 8:46 am

wbb I got your drift. There were years in the not too distant past where top to bottom the Conference Formerly Known as the Big East was as good as if not better than the ACC. That withered over the last 3-4 years, but I remember it.

ACC football is stronger now than ever. You could make a legit argument it has surpassed the Big 10, and is closing on the Big 12. It used to be FSU and everyone else. Then it was Va Tech and everyone else. Now, not only is FSU back, but other programs have improved.

What’s missing from the ACC is the fan interest that large land grant schools have ( and hence media interest). VT fan base is solid, as is Clemson. Fla St has a national following but their attendance is fickle. Judging by attendance at Pitt’s other 3 away ACC games this year, we are not alone in having semi-disinterested fans.

One thing I’ll say about this year’s Pitt, they have heart, and Tom Savage is a big reason why. Savage said in an interview this week that he wants to be known above all else for his toughness. Mission accomplished.

As Justin points out, whether by perseverance or sheer luck Pitt won 3 games they typically lose. They have also been in every game (except FSU). This group of seniors are leaders like we haven’t had for a while. They will be missed next year. Hopefully somebody steps up and fills their shoes.

As 6-6 is light years from 5-7, so is 4-4 in conference light years from 3-5. With all the injuries and a short week, I think Pitt is looking at an uphill climb vs. the Canes. But it sure would be sweet to pull the upset. H2P

Comment by Iron Duke 11.24.13 @ 8:50 am

Don’t forget the rest of the seniors. Rough 4yrs for them. Street Hendricks will be missed also. Savage will be playing on Sundays. Wouldn’t surprise me at all Pitt has two 1st rd picks. Donald and savage. Savage will shine at the combine.

Comment by why me 11.24.13 @ 8:52 am

Agree w/ wbb: I hope there is a decent crowd Friday and they are there early to give No.97 the loudest reception of the year. What an animal of a player. Haven’t enjoyed watching a Panther defender this much in a long time. (Revis was awesome but nobody ever threw at him!)

Comment by JW 11.24.13 @ 8:53 am

Savage has toughness. Donald will have his number retired. Mark my words. These seniors deserve a statue for their perseverance. Let it be a reminder to never have an AD go through four coaches in four years. I will be first in line to burn the effigy of Cornhole…the destroyer of football programs.

Comment by TX Panther 11.24.13 @ 8:59 am

Revis was very good at Pitt but wasn’t an impact player like Donald .. most likely because teams stayed away from him

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 9:05 am

I’ll echo and elaborate a little on some of what Justin said.

At the beginning of the season, I said I’d hope for eight wins but reasonably expected six or maybe seven. After all the transfers and dismissals out of the program, it became apparent very early on that this team was going to have to rely on young players at some key positions, all while dealing with the move to a stronger conference.

Given all of that, seeing this team get to six wins they way they did all year and achieve bowl eligibility yesterday was pretty satisfying. It hasn’t always been pretty and there are some “what ifs” to indulge, but this team did gut out some wins and overcame more than a few “Same Old Pitt” moments to get here.

Again, keeping the bigger picture in mind, getting to bowl eligibility was nice to see. Obviously, the goal is to get this program to something much more than that, and hopefully this season has been a step toward that kind of progress. In some ways, it feels like it has been.

And Pitt’s not done yet, anyway. It will be a tough test, but here’s hoping that the college football gods have a heart. It would be great to see guys like Donald, Street, Hendricks and Williams close out their Pitt careers by upsetting Miami at home. Get them seven wins and give them a chance at a better bowl destination.

Comment by Stoosh 11.24.13 @ 9:07 am

Street along with Donald should receive the biggest cheers. No doubt Savage has been a savage, but he didn’t have to persevere the chaos like the other 2.

Hendricks, K Williams, and S Gordon also deserve some love

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 9:09 am

Fellow Blathers. I need help. The game was not on TV here and I found that I could watch it as streaming video on the ACC Network site. I have never done that before and had no idea about putting it on hold, which I did a few times. So, I was about maybe 5 minutes behind live action. Once I decided to catch up to live action and found out that Syracuse had scored to make it 16-10. So, I decided not to do that again.
Anyhow, with a minute left in the game and Syracuse driving, either 3rd and long or 4th and long, I don’t recall, the streaming video ended and the screen said “Final score 17-16.”
Then, I read all of the comments on here about a fake field goal and whether there were two knees down, etc. What happened? Did they take the snap and start the fake play and the refs called the time out? How do you know it was a fake field goal?

H2P Tame the Canes

Comment by pmdH2P 11.24.13 @ 9:16 am

Any chance we get a Pinstripe bid if Syracuse doesn’t beat BC next weekend?

Comment by Joe Lawrence 11.24.13 @ 9:22 am

There is a world of difference waking up to a win this morning, being bowl eligible, and avoiding a losing season.

It may not mean much to the Negative Nellies, but it enhances are chances with the better recruits, and it enhances Donald’s chances at several awards.

It gives the youngsters more practices, the program more publicity, and prevents the perception of decline.

It is much better to be a little better than mediocre, than a little worse than mediocre.

Of course we are a long way from the level of FSU or Clemson, but we have a better chance of getting there with the perception of getting better rather than the alternative.

While there is some question whether our coaches are good enough to get us there, there is no question that more and better players are needed. Yesterday’s victory should help in this regard. Players want to go to bowl games, no matter how meager, any is better than none.

Our boys scratched and clawed out a victory, they played hard in every game, this one came out in their favor, there is no need for apologies.

The seniors earned and deserve this victory.

Hail to Pitt!

Comment by gc 11.24.13 @ 9:31 am

RichRod with a huge win.

Comment by gc 11.24.13 @ 9:36 am

Let’s see …. Shreveport vs NYC

pmdH2P, Pitt was down 16-10 late in the 3rd quarter and scored on last play of quarter after an 88 yd drive. Key plays were a 1st down pass to Holtz on 3rd and approx 16 while TS was under pressure. The 3 short passes to Garner tha he turned into longer gains.

In the 4th, the defenses prevailed (or was it the ineptitude of the offenses.) Anyway, Pitt punted to Cuse with over 2 min left, who took over at their own 43. They got a first down but after that were stopped .. holding penalty helped.

So on 4th and 11, they brought the FG team on the field for a 52 yard FG. However, they had a receiver just a yard in who was unnoticed. Chryst called timeout right before the snap, allegedly to ice the kicker, but the holder was unaware and went on with the play and threw to the wide open WR. By that time , it was clear the play was whistled dead.

Thus the trick play was exposed and Cuse went for it on 4th and long and L Pitts broke up the pass.

There is discussion as to whether the holder had both knees down which would have voided the play if timeout wouldn’t have been called

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 9:43 am

correction …. it was a 3rd down pass to Holtz, it may have been the key play of the game as it looked like Pitt was stopped deep in their own territory

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 9:45 am

Thanks wbb. I learned my lesson about being behind the action while watching the streaming video. But, otherwise, it was great—for any of you who have similar problems finding the game on your local channels. I think that they only do one game and the rest are on ESPN3, which I cannot do since I have DirecTV. So, I was lucky that our game was the one ACC broadcast.

H2P Tame the Canes.

Comment by pmdH2P 11.24.13 @ 10:00 am

bowls are fun i for one think it is great if you win 6 or 7 and you go that is wonderful .
but i wonder which one with 11 teams that can go and only 8 spots of our own that makes it even more fun trying to guess which one is ours

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 10:10 am

Shreveport weather 65 or NYC 28. Shreveport cheap and casinos or NYC overpriced. I hope for a Southern Bowl.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.24.13 @ 10:13 am

Looks like we will take Big 12’s spot in the Texas Bowl in Houston. 12/27 per my best guess.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.24.13 @ 10:23 am

Don’t care what bowl as long as it is not the toilet bowl! Just love watching Pitt and that feeling you get before game time and then the craziness begins! You gotta give it to them, there is never a dull moment! Imagine if we would of lost on that fake field goal? People would’ve jumped off the Cathedral! Like I’ve said before, it took Wanny three years to make a bowl so hats off to Chryst! Next year better have 7 or more wins though!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 11.24.13 @ 10:38 am

Being bowl eligible does not guarantee that Pitt will get an invitation to a bowl, correct?

Just a thought.

Comment by MariettaMike 11.24.13 @ 10:40 am

Yes Marietta and the way pitt doesn’t travel it is no guarantee. Yes, if we lost on that Fake FG and it appears the kid would have gone for 6 it would have been more than crushing.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.24.13 @ 10:47 am

NEWS FLASH!!! Pitt’s football team isn’t very good!

Thanks so much to posters such as wbb, UPittbaseball and TXPanther for alerting us once again of this little known fact. Silly me, after the way the Panthers dominated the Orange, I was thinking that we were going to get a special invitation to play for the ACC Championship from the Commissioner, just because!

Panther94, I’m with you, what you said!

How does Pitt NOT lose that game yesterday? The tip drill pass interception off Boyd’s hands, that usually turns into a TD against Pitt. The fake FG that is wwiiidddeeee open that somebody in the Pitt organization was alert enough to call a last moment timeout against to avoid disaster, that is a trademark way Pitt loses games, an “F”ed up special teams play. And when exactly was the last time that Pitt blocked a PAT? Obviously the difference maker but who knew that then, way back in 1st quarter?

Why do you guys that always see the glass MORE than half EMPTY even bother to follow Pitt Football anyway? These very same guys who rationalize their comments as “just keeping it real”, should do your own introspective reality check.

Right now Pitt is playing a ton of young guys, lack talent in the two deep and have a coaching staff that continues to learn on the job. This results in an organization that isn’t a very good football team. Anybody who follows Pitt KNOWS this already, thanks for the memos from those masters of the obvious!

I’ve been a Pitt fan ever since attending Pitt way back in 1971 and it sure has been a bumpy ride. I totally enjoyed the major change in Pitt Football and the Jackie Sherrill years that followed a ton more than the last three decades in Pitt Football history, but there have been plenty of bright spots along the way, if you just have the correct attitude in the first place and pause long enough to smell the roses!

Yesterday’s game is a fine example of that. Pitt had to do things to win this game that were definitely out of their current comfort zone. Savage needed to get the ball out QUICK, our porous OL needed to step up in their pass protection. With Devine Street injured and on the sideline for most of the game, other guys needed to step up and take charge of Pitt’s receiving duties and our less than stellar coaching staff needed to devise a gameplan that would be effective against a dynamic Syracuse pass rush/blitz packages.

Pitt was successful on all counts, even with a hobbled QB that got his brains beat out all game and a running performance that was poor at best. Then throw into that mix that Syracuse’s horrible passing QB threw some passes that were just perfect and that were usually caught by guys that looked like they had glue on their fingers(except for that one bobbled catch in the endzone, thank God) and you got yourself a Pitt win to be proud of considering everything that they had to overcome to pull out this victory.

So pardon me for not appreciating your constant Pitt bashing that is appropriate in your minds, since we’re not competing for the ACC Championship, but this Pitt team accomplished a goal yesterday that any true Pitt fan should acknowledge, especially in light of the reality of all of the weaknesses possessed by this young team.

Pitt won a game yesterday that many a Pitt team before them could have found multiple ways to lose. But this team didn’t lose it, and in the process became bowl eligable!

I’m proud of this team for bringing home that ugly, hard fought win, now let’s go beat Miami. Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.24.13 @ 10:50 am

ASU living on former coach recruits. Cuse almost pulled it off with trick. We lucky but that’s ok. Still upset for not plunging for TD on the 3 yard line. Maybe ACC mad at MD and send them to BBVA against SEC team. Freeze Miami in 35 degree flurries.

Comment by Frank MD 11.24.13 @ 11:02 am

Last week we plunged on fourth and one and didn’t make it and everyone said – stupid coaches, wrong play. This week we tried passing to get into the end zone and didn’t make it and everyone said – stupid coaches, wrong play. The only time – for us or anyone – that the play is the right play is when it works, through luck or design. Plays that don’t work are, quite obviously, the wrong plays. It’s like saying my keys are always in the last place I look. That’s because you stop looking.

Comment by Pitt Dad 11.24.13 @ 11:10 am

But we had 4 shots at it and had just pushed them 2 yards back with QB sneak for 1st down.

Comment by Frank MD 11.24.13 @ 11:14 am

Enjoyed the focus article on DJ but I don’t want the sixth man BS to go to his head. He needs to become a complete player as his potential is as high as anyone on our current team. The minutes will be available with Lamar’s departure next season. Johnson must improve his ball handling. He needs the same summer crash course that Keith and Ron took awhile back and bust chops getting better. They both raised the level of their games and they had nowhere near the potential that DJ has. Can still see Ramon crushing Cheat Lake CC with a three off that pass from Benjamin! H2P! UPone

Comment by UPone 11.24.13 @ 11:15 am

the talking heads have pitt at the music city bowl in nashville i could live with that it has a good pay out. we would play a sec team.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 11:16 am

As long as it isn’t Birmingham, any destination should be fine.

Comment by Penguins Fan 11.24.13 @ 11:16 am

@@@@@@

Pitt is a flawed team. They match up well against some teams
and are disadvantaged versus others. So given the non-
conference schedule of ND; games against Miami and FSU
7-5 seemed realistic. Still have a chance to get there;
praying for cold weather and snow on Friday. That said the game that bothers me is the one versus Navy. Pitt should have won that game! Clearly Pitt had the physical advantage. Net we are going bowling. Hopefully not to the BIrmingham, or Detroit or the Beef O’Bradys. Want Shreveport and an opponent from the SEC.

Comment by JR 11.24.13 @ 11:18 am

@Dr Tom

Thanks. We have a team that does not give up. That has come from behind to win. So, different than what we have had the last several years. The coaching staff, while it may be learning still, deserves credit for getting these kids to play the full 60 minutes and not give up.

So, you started in 1971? I graduated that year and began grad school. Got a job as an advisor registering (and hopefully helping) freshmen and sophomores in the College of Arts and Sciences). Maybe I worked with you.

I was still there in 1973 when Johnny Majors was hired. We grad students were all into the purity of academia and ant-war and Nixon, of course. So, here comes this new coach. He wanted to meet with us. We were all ready to dislike him. He came in and had us captured and believing within five minutes. First, he was a great salesman (not like Graham). Second, he told us that most of the players would not go beyond college ball and that their educations were important for their futures. That we needed to recognize the demands of the football season and schedule them for minimal credits during the fall. But, also make certain that the players got good educations.

One more story on this. So, Carson Long comes in wearing shorts. I was dumbstruck. His kicking leg looked like it was twice as big as his other leg.

H2P Tame the Canes

Comment by pmdH2P 11.24.13 @ 11:28 am

I know Savage not Big Ben but shows same grit.

Comment by Frank MD 11.24.13 @ 11:37 am

You bring up a good point in the team not folding. They won games they should have lost like the Cuse and possibly ND game and lost ones they should have won like Navy and GT. I think that type of fight has been missing from this team and it starts with the QB. If we couldn’t stand Tino, how do you think his teammates felt, especially when he was the first to throw them under the bus?
I forget Boyds exact quote about Savage but it basically said he was a tough SOB. I like where we are going. The line will only be better next year with Biz in his second year, DJ contributing and Grimm and hopefully Bookser redshirting.

Comment by Jacob 11.24.13 @ 11:38 am

@ pmdH2P, Talking kickers, on a Syracuse blog, one poster comments, “I thought “Blewitt” was Pitt’s kicker, not ours”! LMFAO! BTW, I was a huge fan of Chris Blewitt when he committed. Knew of him since he was a local boy down here around the DC area. Have you noticed how he has quietly become almost automatic on his PATs and solid on anything within 35 yds for FG’s? Another true Freshman that is contributing big time for the Panthers.

Current recruits have to appreciate the fact that Chryst and Co. are willing to play the young guys that have the talent and are dedicated to putting in the prep time. I sincerely hope that we can close the deal on two or three of these highly regarded WPIAL recruits that are still considering Pitt. Early playing time has to be a big enticement for those who want to play NOW!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.24.13 @ 11:42 am

Bowl payouts mean nothing. All of the money goes to the ACC & is distributed equally to all member schools. Pitt will get the same payout as FSU, UVA, & every other school.

Comment by Nick 11.24.13 @ 11:46 am

Hail To Pitt. .Donald to the Steelers. .

Comment by 63 Team 11.24.13 @ 11:49 am

Dr Tom, correct, the fact that we are bowl eligible doesn’t make us a good team; and if there was no timeout, and Cuse scores the winning TD … well, that doesn’t make us a lesser team either because we aren’t bowl eligible.

Marietta, while being bowl eligible doesn’t automatically guarantee a bowl, fact is that 70 of the approx. 125 teams make bowls these days so it is highly unlikely we will be left out.

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 11:50 am

Nick but if we go to a bowl that is not one of the ACC 8 which is what they have this year . the music city bowl would pay more then say the beef bowl
thus more for all get it. or if it is the liberty it pays more then the beef or the bbva.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 12:08 pm

@ Dr Tom

He is also kicking the ball deeper on kickoffs. And, he often shows up in or near the pileup to down the return man. The kid is a player and we are lucky to have him for three more years, I hope.

H2P Tame the Canes

Comment by pmdH2P 11.24.13 @ 12:13 pm

Very Happy with Pitt win. Watched on my commputer and as usual had to take a deep breath up unitl the final 1 min. Just think that we did win 6 games without the main running back “Shell” being part of the team. I give Chryst alot of credit in that losing a quality back like Shell, who we all thought was the next big running back for Pitt, was a tough hurdle to overcome. This team had so much more character than teams in the past and Chryst is getting the players that he is convinced are winners. Hail to Pitt!!

Comment by Bruce F 11.24.13 @ 12:20 pm

wbb, I think I disagree, bowl eligibility is an important measuring stick. It is like a pass/fail grade. It matters if you finish above or below the line. If you mean it does not make us that much of a better team, then I agree. But if you ever failed in a pass/ fail class you would know the difference.

For most of us it feels a whole lot better.

Comment by gc 11.24.13 @ 12:21 pm

Pitt opens as a 2 pt dog to Miami; PSU +23 vs. Wisconsin
link to sbrforum.com

Comment by TonyinHouston 11.24.13 @ 12:21 pm

FRANKCAN, I like the way you think. More ACC teams that are bowl eligible means more money in the shared post season pot to be shared by all teams in the ACC. If we get some spill over and grab a bowl or two from other conferences then that just means more for us to share.

In any case, this year’s balance sheet for the Pitt Athletic Department sure will look a lot healthier than ANY year that we were in the Big East! Merry Christmas!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.24.13 @ 12:22 pm

Maybe with the extra money Pitt came pay for a special teams coach and more recruit travel.

Comment by Frank MD 11.24.13 @ 12:32 pm

gc, I respectfully disagree. As I said above, the 15 practices are MUCH more important than any bowl played in Shreveport, Birmingham or Detroit. There are about a dozen meaningful bowls at the very most, which means 46 teams are playing in games that are watched primarily by fans who follow the teams participating.

Tell me real quick, which teams played last year in the bowls in Shreveport or Detroit? Hey, for goodness sake, tell me the names of these bowls.

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 12:39 pm

@ Bruce F, you are so right, the loss of Shell was huge to this team from the standpoint of losing a featured player at a key position, but that cancer needed to be excised from the team simply because Shell failed to tow the line that Chryst had handed to him and Chryst just wasn’t playing Shell’s prima donna BS game. Not good for team unity or their developing work ethic. Longterm a good coaching move. Shortterm, it produced a formula for failure this season. Having success without an established running game is a tall order but Pitt is finding a way to over come it and have some margin of success.

This is why I’m of the opinion that we can’t have too many RBs in this 2014 recruiting class. When Chris James committed, there was a lot of talk about this negatively impacting the recruiting of guys like CJ Leggett or the injured Shai McKenzie. I say take them both if they want to come to Pitt.

No disrespect to either Conner or Ibrahim, but wouldn’t it be a pleasant surprise to find a diamond in the rough RB coming out of this 2014 recruiting class and then have the luxury of moving Connor &/or Ibrahim to the defensive side of the ball, to add depth to positons that sorely need it. Remember, both these guys have significant HS game experience on defense.

So even though we’ve got 3 solid RB verbals so far for 2014, I say bring in as many as we can get, early playing time is waiting for the guy who can produce.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.24.13 @ 12:47 pm

@wbb, weren’t the bowl names “the Duck Dynasty Bowl” and “Put a Cap Yo A$$ Bowl”?

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.24.13 @ 12:51 pm

wbb, I am with you that the actual bowl games are meaningless, and only important to the respective schools and fans. But, to not get one is a black mark on reputation. It is equivalent to not making the big dance.

To make a bowl game was much more important in the past and I still think you have not gone to one unless it is the Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange etc.

In the big scheme of things it is minor and I agree, the practice time is the most important, but playing in a bowl game is important to these kids, even if it is a lesser one.

Many of these guys will never put on a uniform again. Even if it is the Pinstripe bowl, it is something they earned and will remember for a lifetime.

You are right, I don’t remember any bowls other than when beat Georgia and South Carolina.

Comment by gc 11.24.13 @ 12:59 pm

I think it was the “Kotex feminine hygiene bowl”

Comment by gc 11.24.13 @ 1:01 pm

the ACC has a rule called one win so if we should finish at 6 and 6 we will be the 9th or 10th
team which means we have to find a none ACC BOWL.
I checked who can fill there bowl and who cant here is were we will go if we go.
1 little ceasars in detroit
2 beef o brady st pete
3 hart of dallas bowl
not much to pick from but better then nothing i vote for the beef bowl for the weather .

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 1:09 pm

Wbb i think you are right 99 percent of the time
but it is good to be in a bowl the rules say 6 and 6 you can go so just be glad we are going to a bowl enjoy it. stop with the down in the dumps thing.
it is a good thing i LIKE it be nice.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 1:15 pm

well if you like it, fine … but I will only enjoy it if we win.

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 1:29 pm

Perhaps we Pitt Fans (and that includes me) need to learn to win again just like the team!

Looking back on yesterday, it was a horrid game to watch (and Reed, I would appreciate you watching before your “way critical comments about Blatherites!) and Pitt made enough mistakes to lose 3 games. But…..it was a brutally hard hitting and gutty contest on both sides and PITT WON.

THERE ARE NO BAD LOSSES!!!!!

Comment by Dan 72 11.24.13 @ 1:30 pm

I’m guessing that most of the blowhards on here won’t go to the bowl game, regardless of where it is, so it likely doesn’t matter much to anyone not on the coaching staff or roster. I’ll be happy to throw on the Pitt gear and down a few beers in front of the TV even if it’s December 27th.

Unless of course it somehow ends up being the Sun Bowl in El Paso. Aside from the most of the three hours during the game, that was one of my most enjoyable New Year’s Eve’s ever.

Also, does anyone know if the ACC works like other conferences where the bowls can actually “choose” who they want in their bowl and are not required to pick the next team in the standings?

I could see us possibly being selected by a lower tier bowl selecting us over UMD, Syracuse or BC. They care as much about a better name/draw for local fans as they do about how well the team’s fans travel.

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 11.24.13 @ 1:35 pm

Wbb thank you now you use that big brain and find out were you think we might go .
i think it will be the beef bowl.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 1:39 pm

CNorwoodAZ it is bye conference wins it is called the the one win rule if you win 3 conference games and some else wins 4 they get first pick over you
something like that.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 1:44 pm

Doc. Nobody is bashing Pitt. Some are pointing out the kool aide drinkers. Savage , Donald and street are gone next year. Probably another mediocre season despite a weaker schedule. When are we going to right the ship? How many more mediocre seasons is it going to take? The difference between the elites and schools like Pitt is in the mentality and attitude of coaches, players, the admin and fans. Mediocre despite the circumstances is still a lame result. Rise up to the challenge. No excuses. I for one demand better. I don’t pat my kids on the back when they bring home C’s or when they play below their potential on the field. Why should I applaud Pitt this season? You think the Nitters are applauding their teams 500 season. They get it. We don’t.

Comment by TX Panther 11.24.13 @ 1:55 pm

Thanks Frankcan, I did a little more research and I don’t think that’s quite right. Here’s what I found:

“If the Champs Sports Bowl does not choose the ACC team available with the best Conference record, then it must choose a team within one win of that team in the Conference record. This is the ACC’s “One-Win Rule” and applies to all subsequent selections in the ACC’s Bowl Selection order.”

I read that to mean that the bowl can pick a team with “one” less conference win than the next team next available team in the conference standings (but not “more than one” less win). So if the next available team in the standings has 6 conference wins, they cannot select a team that has 4 conferences wins (but can select any team that has 5 conference wins).

I also read that to mean that the overall win/loss record does not factor into the bowl selection order, it’s the conference record. So we would be ahead of Maryland regardless as they only have 2 conference wins.

If NC beats Duke, they will both end with 5 wins. Neither Syracuse or BC can finish with more than 5 wins. GaTech will finish with 5 wins and VaTech will finish with 4 or 5 wins (they play UVA).

If we can somehow pull off a win against Miami that will give us 4 wins and we would be within one conference win of pretty much everyone except FSU, Clemson and Duke (if they beat NC).

The question will be what order will teams be chosen from the list of:

Miami, Pitt, UNC, Duke, GaTech, VaTech and BC

I doubt a bowl would select us over Miami, VaTech or GaTech, but I could see us being selected over Duke and BC (Belk bowl would probably take on one of the NC teams though).

I don’t think an ACC bowl is completely out of the question.

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 11.24.13 @ 2:20 pm

some info for you all right now there are at my count and there could be more 5 teams who are 6 and 6 with no bowl tie in and there is still a week to play which means there could be 5 or 6 more who end up 6 and 6.
so not every one will get to a bowl as there are only 4 or 5 open spots.
so it depends on the ACC to get us a spot it is possible that we dont go to a bowl but if we win this week we go for sure if we are 7 and 5.
but at 6 and 6 we might not .

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 2:33 pm

The extra practice and bowl experience will be good for the team. It is also a good way for our seniors to end their Pitt football career. I have no problem with Pitt playing in Birmingham but if they play there this year I’m hoping for a better result. H2P!

Comment by MariettaMike 11.24.13 @ 4:37 pm

Forecast for Miami game: partly cloudy, high 38, low 28.

Comment by MariettaMike 11.24.13 @ 4:49 pm

Pitt should just focus on Miami and win. A 7-5 season would certainly land us a spot. Three Pitt teams with six wins didn’t make bowls: 1988, 1991, 2006. The latest projection at CBS.sports has us in the Liberty Bowl.

Comment by TonyinHouston 11.24.13 @ 5:24 pm

Syracuse hasn’t been removed from bowl projections yet but they will have a tough time getting to six wins with BC next week. Hard to see that game going to the cuse.

Comment by TonyinHouston 11.24.13 @ 5:29 pm

Thinking of coming to game on Friday, should I get tickets online before or take chances for decent ones at game? Thanks for any help

Comment by Scott in NE PA 11.24.13 @ 5:36 pm

7-5 way better than 6-6.

Comment by gc 11.24.13 @ 5:41 pm

Comment by TX Panther 11.24.13 @ 8:22 am

The only way you can play on New Year’s day in the ACC Tex, is by playing in the Orange Bowl. As we have no other bowls on that day. The BIg Joke and the SEC have a stranglehold on New Year’s Day. Last year even Northwestern got to play on New Year’s Day, this year looks like Minnesota will. Two less than powerhouse programs.

The game is rigged and the only way we get in, is to either win the Conference or only lose 1 game in the season and still get a BCS invite. As Clemson will do.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 5:54 pm

Scott in NE PA.

I think you can take a chance on decent ones for the game.

Comment by Chas 11.24.13 @ 5:56 pm

In the latest CBSsports bowl projection, they have Pitt playing Marshall in the Liberty Bowl (Memphis).

Comment by gdodson 11.24.13 @ 6:07 pm

Any chance we get a Pinstripe bid if Syracuse doesn’t beat BC next weekend?

Comment by Joe Lawrence 11.24.13 @ 9:22 am

Don’t know if this was answered yet as I haven’t read all the comments yet. I’ll give it a whirl.

Pinstripe is a Big 12 vs. AAC bowl. That’s AAC not ACC.

Big 12 won’t have enough elgible teams to furfill this bowl. Rutgers if they win another is supposed to be the AAC, which makes sense since they’re in NJ/NY metro area. Word is, Pinstripe wants Notre Dame, but which non-BCS bowl doesn’t.
I’m thinking ND can get a better bowl, which if Syracuse beats BC next week, would they want Cuse again, after they played there, 2 of the last 3 years. And Cuse vs. Rutgers, not a very attractive game TV wise, might put some fannies in the seats though. PITT vs. Rutgers, is not attractive either and PITT won’t bring many fans.

I’m thinking ND wouldn’t consider this bowl unless they up the payout. If not and Cuse becomes eligible they’ll prolly just got with them. After all imo this bowl was made for Syracuse, you know, New York’s college team.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 6:13 pm

@ gdodson

That’s a no win situation for Pitt. If you win, no big deal. If you lose to a MAC team it’s embarrassing. But I noted yesterday, Liberty had a possible open slot.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 6:18 pm

Thank you EMel, I was hesitant in replying to TXPanther because, first, I’m totally in his court in regards to encouraging nothing less than excellence on the field of play, but a contrasting second thought was, WTF is this guy thinking?

When I read the quote, “The difference between the elites and schools like Pitt is in the mentality and attitude of coaches, players, the admin and fans” I kind of whispered under my breath, “how about some deep talent to go along with that mental attitude”? And worrying about, “wrighting the ship”, I don’t know about anybody else who actually cares about Pitt Football, but when Graham bailed in the middle of the night back in 2011, I kind of felt like our ship had outright SUNK!

This program was down and out just two years ago, and for those who profess to follow Pitt Football to be anxious about where the program is now and what their aspirations are? I say consider yourself lucky, that Pitt Football even has a pulse at this point in time!

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run, run before you sprint and sprint before you fly, it’s a process. Will Pitt ever fly again? Who the F knows, but at this point in time, I’m just happy that we’re walking without a limp!

Hail to Pitt, Hammer the Hurricaines! Hope it’s cold as hell on Friday!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.24.13 @ 6:18 pm

Wanny was 6-6 his 2nd season I think or was it his 1rst. Regardless they didn’t have the same bowl eligibility rules back then. We started out 6-1 that year and lost some heartbreakers or it would have been a pretty good year.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 6:23 pm

Texas Panther

Comment by Chick 11.24.13 @ 6:31 pm

I would prefer no bowl games against MAC teams.

Meaning Little Caesars or Liberty Bowl.

There’s nothing to be gained playing in those bowls. Even the payouts barely cover your traveliing expenses.

So Cornhole needs to do WHATEVER, to keep US of of those bowls.

#1 Maryland should be shutout of ACC affiliated bowls. They’re sueing the conference to try and get out from paying the $50 Mil exit fee.

Let the Twerps go play in the MAC bowls.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 6:32 pm

**typo** (4rth sentence)

So Cornhole needs to do WHATEVER it takes, to keep US OUT of those bowls.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 6:33 pm

Texas Panther
I agree with you 100% Pitt will never be anything more than mediocre. We have the worst fans and alumni in major college sports. What 4 or 5* recruit will ever come to Pitt to play in a stadium with 30 or 40 thousand empty seats. In the late 80’s even with one of the best college teams to ever take the field didn’t sell out their games. All we can ever hope for is mediocrity 8-4 at best

Comment by Chick 11.24.13 @ 6:38 pm

Although our attendece isn’t very good at the bowl games I believe our ratings are high! People watc Pitt! I remember reading an article about that once before. So that might bump us to a better bowl! Gotta win this week! Even a one game improvement is still improvement! We thin the colder the better but the U is like 5-1 in November at Pitt! Yikes!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 11.24.13 @ 6:57 pm

My bad Marshall is in C-USA. But just as bad playing them whether they’re in C-USA or MAC.

Liberty Bowl is:
C-USA/AAC vs. SEC

With Tenn losing to Vandy yesterday, there will be at least one SEC bowl slot open. If Miss State loses to Ole Miss, next week, there will be 2 open SEC bowl slots. What’s screwed up is:

There are 2 lower tier SEC bowl games that match them up with ACC opponents.
Advocare 100 Bowl: SEC vs. ACC
Music City Bowl: SEC vs. ACC

Wouldn’t think they would matchup ACC vs. ACC,
this is crazy. And no way SEC would relinquish their slots in their next best bowls, which would be the Chic Fil-A Peach Bowl or the Gator Bowl.
Compass Bowl is also another low level SEC bowl, but someone noted above, they have a secondary deal with C-USA/Sunbelt if SEC can’t furfil. And who wants to go back to that dump again anyway.

Same person mentioned the Famous Baked Potato Bowl, in Boise. Only way that slot becomes open on the MWC side, as this is a MWC vs. MAC matchup.
The MAC side is covered, MWC opens up if:

1) Fresno State gets a BCS invite, some say they might be ticketed for the Fiesta Bowl if they remain unbeaten with a win over San Jose.
2) Wyoming has to lose to Utah State
3) San Jose State has to lose Fresno State

That scenario has a real chance of happening imo.

Getting kinda of scary we’re going to matched up vs. a MAC team(Little Caesars or Baked Potato) or a C-USA team (Liberty).

The Dallas Bowl is out: for that’s a C-USA vs Big 10 game. How C-USA wrangled that beat is unknown, must have been set when Houston/SMU was in C-USA.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 7:14 pm

Just a thought.

Comment by MariettaMike 11.24.13 @ 10:40 am

That would be a ‘kick in the head’ wouldn’t it.
This is after all, the 50th anniversary of PITT’s
9-1, 1963 ……no bowl team.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 7:24 pm

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 11:16 am

That would mean we get an ACC bowl bid. Only way that happens imo, is we would have to beat Miami this week. I will certainly take that.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 7:29 pm

The ‘cuse is decimated injury-wise.

Hope that BC beats them.

Comment by steve1 11.24.13 @ 7:35 pm

All we can ever hope for is mediocrity 8-4 at best

Comment by Chick 11.24.13 @ 6:38 pm

Chick, we were just 10-3 in 2009 and 9-4 the year before that. So you have a very short term memory it appears. Or you’re a troll. haha

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 7:45 pm

EMel i have now looked things over for myself and if we end up at 6 and 6 the only bowl we have a shot at is the beef o brady bowl.
there are just to many 6 and 6 teams this year more then there are bowls.
as you know the ACC has only 8 bowl tie in this year
and with 10 ACC teams and us being the 10th team if we finish 6 and 6 we might not go.
but if we finish 7 and 5 that is a different story
the reason that i say we might go to the beef bowl if we are 6 and 6 the acc has a in with the beef bowl maybe just enough pull to get us in.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 7:48 pm

Then I guess that we have to get down to business and figure out how we goin beat Miami in 5 days, Huh?

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.24.13 @ 8:17 pm

@ Frankie

I think CNorwood pointed out that ACC bowl bids are based on Conference record, not Overall record. And bowls can pick whoever they want as long as their pick is within 1 conf. win of another.

Beef O’Brady’s is a C-USA vs AAC.
C-USA will furfil their slot for sure
AAC will to if Rutgers and SMU win next week.
Rutgers plays Uconn, SMU plays USF.

If both of them win, only way Beef becomes open is if UCF or L-Ville get picked for a BCS slot.
At this point due to UCF & L-Ville’s poor computer BCS components, that appears unlikely.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 8:24 pm

Meant to include that since Maryland only has 2 conference wins. They can be bypassed (not selected) by ALL ACC bowls. Which the league should do, worst conference record at 2-5 in the ACC AND they’re leaving the conf. AND they’re suing the conf.

Let MD.’s future conf (the Big Joke) take care of them with their unused Big Joke slot in the Little Caesars Pizza Pizza thing.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 8:29 pm

EMel well bud then i guess we might be screwed
from the looks of things i would say a bowl is not a sure thing.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 8:32 pm

Yep Doc,

We can make this whole complicated Bowl picture look a lot more simple for us, if we beat the Thugs from Thug U.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 8:33 pm

I count 70 bowl slots. There are 72 teams with 6 or more wins. There are another 10 teams with a chance to get to 6 wins. Hope we just get anything.

Comment by Frank MD 11.24.13 @ 8:37 pm

Frankie, that could happen too, still a lot of movning parts, PITT needs to make SURE that doesn’t happen and beat the Thugs. Simple enough.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 8:37 pm

Off topic: Duke given a gift, horses#it call against Vermont to escape 91-90. Would have been the third top 10 team to lose tonight (along with VCU and Louisville).

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 11.24.13 @ 8:38 pm

but i thought that ucf had a bcs bowl not that changes things that much .

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 8:39 pm

FrankMD

Did you count PedState in that 72? #NoBowlForYou!!!

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 11.24.13 @ 8:41 pm

Duke might win the Coastal Division, if they win the ‘Victory Bell’ annual season ender vs the Holes. I don’t really think the Chick-Fil-A Bowl wants to see Duke win. I mean Duke can’t even get more than 30,000 at home against Miami. They won’t bring many to Atlanta and are not a TV draw as well. They could still destined for the Belk Bowl win or lose.

With Duke’s poor attendance this year, they’ve reconsidered enclosing their horseshoe into a fully closed bowl. They will still upgrade the Wallace Wade Stadium, but just with more amenities, not many more new seats.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 8:46 pm

FrankMD i read that there were 6 teams with the chance of 10 more but it makes no difference still to many for the bowls. so we are not a sure thing.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 8:47 pm

I never count PSU.

Comment by Frank MD 11.24.13 @ 8:49 pm

how do you rate the Grey Cup among the bowls? Looks like the site’s favorite QB is going to get a ring as the SSK RR are winning 31-6 in 3rd quarter.

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 8:57 pm

don’t believe Miami is eligible … not sure

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 9:11 pm

FrankMD = WINNER

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 11.24.13 @ 9:14 pm

wbb,

The Grey Cup player payout for the victor is C$16,000 per player and C$8,000 for the runner up. That equates to about US$15,164 and US$7,582 respectively. There are 42 players per team, so that brings the total payout to $955,332. Only two bowls have a lower payout than that: The New Mexico Bowl & the Idaho Potato Bowl. Strictly financially, the Grey Cup is Mountain West/MAC quality.

Comment by MattX 11.24.13 @ 9:21 pm

New BCS rankings are out:

link to cbssports.com

Interesting notes:

*Northern Illinois up to #14. Computers have them at #7 and if you can believe Sagarin computer has the Huskies at #3. They could be the ONLY BCS Buster this year. Maybe Fiesta or Sugar. Gonna be hard to drop them out of the Top 16, with the high computer components.

*Fresno St. has dropped to #16 (remember a non Big 5 has to finish in the Top 16 to get a BCS bid) I could see them dropping Fresno OUT, since they were pegged to play Baylor and now Baylor appears OUT themselves. Probably no one else wants to play Fresno, so they get left out. Only remaining game against San Jose doesn’t help them.

* UCF is ranked #19, don’t see them moving up anymore since they’re last 2 games are against teams that won’t help their computer rankings.
UCF was being mentioned for the Orange Bowl earlier this year, now I doubt it. Plus UCF won’t sell many Hotel rooms in Miami, I see someone like Oklahoma maybe sneaking into Orange Bowl as they have a history of selling Hotel rooms there and they’re 9-2 and climbing in BCS.
Oklahoma vs Clemson would be an attractive game.

*L-Ville is ranked #20. Same problem as UCF, but even worse as their computer ranking is #31.
They end up in Russell Athletic Bowl maybe Belk if Russell takes UCF for a full house.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 9:23 pm

MattX, pretty impressive analysis except that you didn’t account for Canadian$ vs US$

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 9:27 pm

The only time the Grey Cup was somewhat significant was when Warren Moon was leading the Edmonton Eskimos to like 6 in a row.

Not any Warren Moons up there or Tiny wouldn’t have made the team. lol (oh wait HE might have)

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 9:29 pm

BCS computers have PITT at #52 (51)

link to cbssports.com

Which means we SHOULD get a bowl bid regardless !

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 9:34 pm

For the love of improvement opportunities, we need to get to some kind of bowl.

Let’s assume for a minute that FSU gets to play for the national championship. How much extra money does the conference get and how much of that will get filtered to Pitt. Makes that loss to the noles a little more bearable. Also, when Lewisville joins, will they get full share immediately or will it be progressive shares like the big 10 is doing?

Final query. Would the blather rather have psu or nd in their current capacity in the ACC? The more I think this through, the more it would make sense to add a psu.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 11.24.13 @ 9:36 pm

The latest ESPN bowl projections have us in the Little Caesars Bowl or the Military Bowl. The ACC blog has us as an at-large bowl team.
link to espn.go.com

I have a hard time believing the ACC and ESPN would let a bowl eligible team from the conference be left out.

We are on national TV again Friday – the third time this season.

Comment by TonyinHouston 11.24.13 @ 10:03 pm

ACC next year has 14 with Lou replacing MD. If ACC can make more $$$ maybe with it’s own cable network and come close to what PSU and ND make now then maybe — who knows?

Comment by Frank MD 11.24.13 @ 10:06 pm

if pitt can be screwed it will happen it allways does. so dont count your bowls till they are hatched
or is that eggs .
just this one thing there are what bye next week 77 teams for 70 spots.
so at least 7 teams will be screwed let us hope it is not us.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 10:07 pm

TonyinHoustin just this one thing the ACC this year only controls 8 bowl spots and we are the 10th acc team who can go to a bowl.
and we dont travel well so we could be left out
not saying we will but as i said if pitt can be screwed it will or might happen.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 10:17 pm

Pitt will not be if for nothing else, it is located in a decent TV market

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 10:23 pm

Pitt will not be ‘screwed’ ….

Comment by wbb 11.24.13 @ 10:24 pm

Wbb stewart mandel says we will be a at large team
we have been saying that all ready.
and i guess all that is open now is yes you guessed it birmingham we should open a branch campus there.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 10:33 pm

maybe that is a joke i hope so.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 10:35 pm

For these lower tier games that are ALL controlled by ESPN, bowl attendance and ‘how well you travel’ is almost immaterial.

Since ESPN owns most of them and have the broadcast rights and indeed created most of them, they dictate who goes where pretty much.

Even at 6-6 I think we’re fine.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 10:46 pm

They are all just ESPN programming fill after all.
haha :-)

And Pitt games always get TV ratings, even if ppl only tune in to laugh.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 10:48 pm

My best guess is: (this is kinda fun )

If we lose to Miami: Liberty Bowl

If we beat Miami: Music City Bowl

So it looks like, in the words of Dr. Dentures,
Tenneeshee is the place to be !

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 10:52 pm

EMel but what if the outher 6 and 6 teams mave good TV ratings also next year the ACC has 10 bowl tie in but that dont help this year well we will know next week but at least it gives us something to talk abought till then.

Comment by Frankcan 11.24.13 @ 10:53 pm

Frankie, based on our TV ratings, I would imagine that if we are 6-6, we’d be the best TV rating 6-6 team of the lot. A lot of the others are c-usa, mac, aac teams. None get any where close to the TV ratings that Pitt gets.

Which is why, even when we’ve been nothing more than a mediocre team since 2010, we still get plenty of regional and indeed NATIONAL exposure.

PITT is a known entity in the TV ratings game as Frank the Tanks blog so aptly described several years ago when the Big 10 was expanding.

Probably NO team as mediocre as PITT has been, has been on National & Regional TV as much or anywhere close as us.

I can’t think of one, can you ?

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 11:30 pm

Whoever wins the AAC – likely either UCF or Louisville – has to go to a BCS bowl probably Sugar

Comment by hoopzebra 11.24.13 @ 11:44 pm

I hope for the beef bowl. At least we can recruit fla down there.

Comment by John 11.25.13 @ 7:26 am

do you think we can recruit at a Beef Bowl with a stadium that would be 40% full, of which 75% of the fans that attend are from the other team?

Comment by wbb 11.25.13 @ 8:04 am

Just a thought.

Comment by MariettaMike 11.24.13 @ 10:40 am

That would be a ‘kick in the head’ wouldn’t it.
This is after all, the 50th anniversary of PITT’s
9-1, 1963 ……no bowl team.

Comment by EMel 11.24.13 @ 7:24 pm
——————————————-

EMel: Don’t remind me. I still live this nightmare.

I was a sophomore in ’63 and wanted to go to a Florida bowl but … We were all shocked to be left out of the bowl picture.

Comment by MariettaMike 11.25.13 @ 8:07 am

Going to a bowl game is a reward for a successful season. Pitt will have a non-losing season and the team should go to a bowl game and enjoy the event.

I content, we are the best mediocre team in the NCAA. :-) H2P! We could have easily been 8-3 or 9-2.

Comment by MariettaMike 11.25.13 @ 8:13 am

LOL MariettaMike. We’re #1 in Mediocrity! It’s one thing to be aveverage at best but a totally different perspective is produced when you’re the BEST OF THE AVERAGE! H2P.

Beat Miami and I contend that we will then be the BESTEST OF THE AVERAGE!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.25.13 @ 9:08 am

How awesome is Bruce Arians as a HC? He turned indy around and now AZ around in less than 10 months with each team.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.25.13 @ 9:48 am

No question the bowls are watered down, I don’t know anyone that would argue against that.

However, whether it be marketing the brand, recruiting wars etc. etc.,

you definitely want to be with the 70 that made it opposed to the 56 who didn’t.

“hell, they’re so bad, they didn’t even go to a bowl game”!!!

You don’t want that tossed around about your program.

Comment by Dan 11.25.13 @ 10:20 am

I hope this uniform crap goes through it’s cycle and leaves soon.

Especially the black outs, where you can’t even see any accent colors.

Any team that wears a black out uniform, looks exactly the same as the other 20 teams that wear them.

What’s up with Baylor?? When did their colors become black and pale yellow???

Always thought they were green and gold??

Texas A&M looked like vomit, with some sort of grey thing, with a little maroon.

Hey, they may sell some jerseys to the teenager set, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it!!!

Comment by Dan 11.25.13 @ 10:27 am

Dr. Tom: another perspective on this Pitt team. They are not first but not last. Except for a few years when our offense was great, we were mostly successful because of our defense. Our special teams cost us two wins. However, we beat Duke and they are on top of our division. If we beat Miami, I would agree with you that we will be the Bestedt of the mediocre teams.

H2P!

Comment by MariettaMike 11.25.13 @ 11:15 am

Hey MariettaMike, don’t throw too many accolades Duke’s way, after the Navy game I had a back and forth discussion about them being nothing more than a basement dweller in the ACC. Which by the way, I disagreed with. The Duke win now looks like one of our highlight wins of the season in retospect!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.25.13 @ 3:13 pm

A few thoughts:

Emel – why would you want our AD to purposefully keep the kids out of a bowl game if invited? That is what these bowl games are for – a reward to the players for putting the team in a spot to do just that.

Sorry, but that smacks of a self serving attitude. If you don’t think it is a good thing fine, but to want the kids punished just for your opinion is a bit loopy.

Dan 72 – It doesn’t matter if I watched the game or not – every single Game Thread consists of the negative things I mentioned.

Guys, if PITT can go 7-5 with the talent, or lack of it, on this roster it is a pretty damn good accomplishment. I don’t understand the views of some of the more negative PITT fans who insist that wins are all that matters… then when we do get wins all of a sudden aren’t good enough for those fans. No, they want every game to not only be a win but a dominating performance with near-perfect play.

Well, don’t hold your breath for that to happen at PITT any time soon. Not to beat a dead horse but PITT isn’t an Alabama or OSU type program. That isn’t to say we can’t break into the Top 25 or even the Top 10 maybe as some other ‘smaller’ programs have done but for our program to do that on a regular basis a lot of things have to fall in place.

The only real way to accomplish that is to consistently have a winning program and also get the blue chip recruits on a regular basis. Even with those two aspects satisfied we saw how tough it was be ranked when DW was recruiting well and we played in a lesser conference. One year out of his six we finished in the Top 25 – 15th in 2009 with a very well stocked roster.

I don’t doubt that we can replicate that type of singular season sometime soon. I’m pretty optimistic about the future with Chryst as the HC. But there is a real aspect of “Same Old PITT” at work over the last three decades and it will take a lot of work, and some luck, to break that.

Going 7-5 if we can this season will go a long way to putting us on that track IMO. My doubts are that we will be able to reach that plateau and sustain it for any length of time.

Comment by Reed 11.25.13 @ 10:14 pm