November 16, 2013

Pitt-UNC Game Thread

Filed under: Football,Opponent(s) — Justin @ 12:16 pm

I’m not sure if Chas is able to post this so I figured I’d throw this up. Here’s my game preview. Unfortunately Adam Bisnowaty is out for the game, Dorian Johnson starts in his place.

Pitt hoops is 2-0 and will have a winning record in the ACC! But hoops, men’s and women’s might be te only ones for the next couple years! I hope we transition better than BC did! I hoped for a better feeling after sleeping it off but I’m still aggravated! And now hearing what Fraud Graham is doing makes it worse! At least WVU is terrible! This fall can’t end soon enough!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 11.17.13 @ 10:01 am

Unless he or she can actually go out and make a tackle, I think the whole, “we need a special teams coach” thing is a bit overstated/overvalued.

In my opinion, special teams is about the “the things you can’t coach”. It’s all about having the guys with the “god given athleticism” and the “will/heart/desire”, or whatever you want to call it, make a play.

The only thing a “dedicated” coach would be good for is a punching bag for the fans when our players don’t make tackles.

Comment by Pitt2Cali 11.17.13 @ 10:03 am

Wah,wah,wah!

Comment by Oklahomeboy 11.17.13 @ 10:04 am

Look Pitt finds way to lose games they should and can win every year, which is maddening, and our our coaches are very questionable with their in-game decisions (House and SP coach have to go) but the silver lining is our schedule is pretty tough. We played two teams so far with a losing record. The combined record of our opponents, removing those two teams, is 57 – 25 or a .695 win percentage. There was only one game we were not in (played poorly in several)… I’m as frustrated as any fan but this gives me some piece of mind. What mind I have left being a Pitt fan.

Comment by artj 11.17.13 @ 10:07 am

Pitt’s inability to get in the endzone after two beautiful drives was a disaster and has happened repeatedly this season. Savage fumble was a killer, and a very bad mistake for a senior.

But offense is going to be up and down, what is dumbfounding is the poor defensive showing in the first half. We had no answer for an average offense. We had no pass rush at all. The schemes were pathetic. It was like they knew what D was called and took advantage. Too many wide open receivers, their poor running attack had no problem finding the holes. No third down stops for us. Nobody making a play. The Coup de Grace, a puny return.

How many big plays have we given up on special teams? How many games has it cost us?

The lack of a pass rush must be fixed or we will get no better. We need better linebackers, or we will never stop the run. The lack of any pass rush made an average QB have a great first half.

Say what you will but this game was over at half time.

The only positive out of this game was that they did not quit.

Comment by gc 11.17.13 @ 10:24 am

Special teams are like the farm system in baseball. It takes time to build your depth. See Neal Huntington.

Comment by alcofan 11.17.13 @ 10:25 am

Alcoa. Only took the Pirates 18 years to have a winning season.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.17.13 @ 10:29 am

Then the starters should be playing on special teams. I blame the coaches, not the kids.

Comment by gc 11.17.13 @ 10:30 am

Agreed, gc

Comment by Pitt2Cali 11.17.13 @ 10:38 am

Really glad we have two running backs coming in next year. Hopefully with break-a-way skill level. Conner is strong, but we need guys that can go the distance.

Other than one game Bennett has been a disappointment. He had a hole yesterday that any of our three previous backs turn into thirty yards if not a touchdown. With him it was a 5 yard gain.

He did have a nice touchdown catch yesterday. He is good player just not a game changer. We need more of them on both sides of the ball. Particularly on Defense.

If you count his unrequited interception vs. GT Ray Vinopal has 5 turnovers in three games. He has become a game changer.

One last comment, Hendricks could not cover Ebron, by himself yesterday, where was his help?

Comment by gc 11.17.13 @ 10:45 am

You guys are right. Need Studs on special teams especially when it kills us weekly. I also question why our punt returner is big and slow with no speed. Get a crafty kid like UNC and or Edelman.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.17.13 @ 10:47 am

Whoe’s ready for a little Howard today. And I don’t mean Stern.

Comment by alcofan 11.17.13 @ 11:26 am

The only big name college football coach Pederson hired was Graham who ran for the desert at the first opportunity.

No surprise he is winning. He took a perennial loser in Rice and turned them into a bowl team.

Wannstedt was a first time college head coach and it took him four seasons to win nine games.

If Graham were in year three at Pitt, he would be winning big here too.

You deal with the cards you are dealt.

Comment by TonyinHouston 11.17.13 @ 11:27 am

@deepblues,

sorry if you didn’t understand my last post. I’ll dumb it down for you next time. Thanks

Comment by goalie44 11.17.13 @ 11:57 am

I’m tired of hearing how Chryst inherited a bad program. Pitt isn’t losing to teams because of a lack of talent (minus FSU who everyone loses to). Pitt beat the second best team on their schedule on the road. They are losing because coaches aren’t putting the players in the best position to win. Team could have won 10 games this year with excellent coaching.

Comment by Wardapalooza 11.17.13 @ 12:06 pm

4 plays – settling for 3 on the first drive, fumble in the red zone and two punt returns for TDs. Change those four plays and the outcome is different. That’s the nature of the game. Coaching. Play selection. Ultimately it comes down to execution. And a fair amount of luck. (And, while I’m at it, a few missed calls by the refs but I’m discounting that because we got some of the bad calls our way this time as well.)

So, as always…

H2P!!!

Comment by Pitt Dad 11.17.13 @ 12:26 pm

Tonyinhouston, I firmly believe Graham left because he knew he couldn’t get the kind of players he needs for his offense here. If you look at his roster and his commits, you will see recruits mainly from Texas and some from Cal.

Comment by wbb 11.17.13 @ 12:44 pm

Wah, wah, wah!! ?????

Ok, got it.

Wow, did Pitt look fantastic yesterday!!! Can’t wait for the next two games, should be blowouts and on to a big bowl game to blow out an SEC or Big 12 team.

This team really excites me. The possibilities are endless.

Just an absolute pleasure to watch each and every Saturday.

Can’t wait till next year. With a new explosive quarterback, I’m thinking 10-2, 11-1.

We should be in competition for the Coastal division championship and a slot in the ACC Championship game against FSU or Clemson!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

Year 4 and 5, we should then settle into a consistent top 20 team by that time, and have reasserted ourselves as a yearly top college football program!!!

woo hoo, H2P, who knew it could ever get this good again!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 11.17.13 @ 4:26 pm

right there with ya dan!

Comment by goalie44 11.17.13 @ 6:23 pm