November 12, 2013

Open Thread: Fresno St.-Pitt

Filed under: Basketball,Open Thread — Chas @ 3:09 pm

Count me among the people who wouldn’t mind college basketball moved about a month later and end in May. Yes, May Madness may take some getting used to, but these November games get lost in the shuffle of football season.

Fresno St. and Pitt is getting a nice bit of regional TV.

Pittsburgh (Root Sports), New York City (YES Network), Cleveland, Ohio (SportsTime Ohio), Washington D.C.-tape delay (Comcast Sports Net/Mid-Atlantic), Boston, Mass. (New England Sports Network), Atlanta, Ga. (Fox Sports South), Raleigh, N.C. (Fox Sports Carolinas), Detroit (Fox Sports-Detroit Plus), St. Louis, Mo. (Fox Sports Midwest), Miami-South Florida (Fox Sports Florida), Phoenix, Ariz. (Fox Sports-Arizona), Minneapolis, Minn. (Fox Sports North), Seattle, Wash. (Root Sports Northwest), Denver, Colo. (Root Sports Rocky Mountain), Indianapolis (Fox Sports-Indiana)

If none of those are available it is also on ESPN3.com. Game time is 7pm.

The Bulldogs haven’t been in my consciousness since Jerry Tarkanian was coaching them. Picked to be in the lower half of the Mountain West, they are in yet another rebuilding period. They did start their season off with a come-from-behind-last-second-halfcourt-OT-shot-that-went-win against UC Irvine from the Big West Conference (looks up Big West, oh, hey, that’s where Hawaii is playing basketball now).

So, no, they aren’t that good. Their guard play, though, looks solid.

Marvelle Harris scored 30 points, had five assists and seven rebounds. Point guard Cezar Guerrero had 23 points. Tyler Johnson scored 13 points with 11 rebounds and eight assists, missing a triple-double. Huddleston, off the bench, scored 12 points and had three assists.

Together, they hit 51.8% of their shots including 44.4% on 3-pointers, scored 24 of the Bulldogs’ final 30 points down the stretch in regulation and in overtime and got them a win in a close game after so many near misses last season, going 3-11 in games decided by seven or fewer points.

Harris ended up taking home MWC player of the week with that performance.

Nice piece on Lamar Patterson.

Talib Zanna should be back for this game, so Pitt’s frontcourt will have more depth and size.

The football team the way it is, I’m glad it comes so soon.

Comment by Don Walnut 11.12.13 @ 3:41 pm

Great news, I can watch on the big screen, no buffering. Awesome coverage for a tune-up.

Comment by gc 11.12.13 @ 3:45 pm

@Chas, Until we beat Notre Dame I would have been more of a mind to end football early instead. I have a feeling Dixon will surprise a lot of people with this team. I think it is only a matter of time before people realize we might contend in the ACC this year. There is no team with a lock on the conference and we look to have an interesting mix of veterans and newcomers. I can imagine this group gelling into a very competitive group. Everyone seemed to write this year off when Adams left and Moore transferred but I’m thinking they were wrong. Dixon does better with the overachieving types rather than the big hype prospects. Add to that the schedule is very favorable and should allow the team to develop as it goes. Joining the ACC could actually be considered a step down in competition. There are several reasons that suggest a good season is coming our way. I am excited to see how it plays out. I think this team wins at least 24 games and makes the NCAA Tourney. Maybe this year we can win a game or two when we get there for a change.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.12.13 @ 3:55 pm

Disagree about the seasons Chas. As cold as it is today,this is basketball weather.

Comment by alcofan 11.12.13 @ 4:14 pm

Thats a great idea. I wish they would, who knows, given the way money is influencing college sports. Seems like there’d be a big financial advantage for everyone involved if they pushed it back a month.

Comment by PittHW 11.12.13 @ 4:20 pm

Does the NCAA allow matches to occur after the school year is over? Does any sport play in May? I’m guessing they can’t play after the school year is over.

Comment by Justin 11.12.13 @ 4:47 pm

NYC, DC, Boston, Minneapolis, Detroit…what! no Philly?

Comment by Jerome Lane 11.12.13 @ 4:49 pm

We are a 16 point favorite.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.12.13 @ 5:41 pm

@Jerome – don’t you get the YES Network in Philly?

Comment by Pitt Dad 11.12.13 @ 5:52 pm

At the bottom of the last game’s open thread, I posted a link to a good Pitt News article about Pitt’s new defensive wrinkles this year:

link to pittnews.com

Boubacar responded with some of his observations:

“It also looked like Pitt was more active on defense. They were switching on everything, ball screens, cuts, off ball screens. They can do that this, more than other years, because their defenders are pretty versatile, most can gaurd three spots. They have big guards, and mobile bigs. The downside in all that switching was they left a bunch of people open. Savanah wasn’t good enough to make them pay. Coming out of the weak non-con, Pitt should have the rotation and responsibilities down and they’ll be pretty good defensively.”

That could be something to watch for tonight.

Comment by Howard 11.12.13 @ 6:11 pm

When is uechebo expected to play

Comment by teezy 11.12.13 @ 6:33 pm

Doesn’t the college world series go until May or June?

Comment by TartanPanther 11.12.13 @ 7:03 pm

Never seems to be the consensus I’ve heard and read, unfortunately. Something about him starting his rehab too late. I hope someone with real information can correct me though.

Comment by PittHW 11.12.13 @ 7:03 pm

Urah my friend asked me today like you i heard conflicting reports..

Comment by teezy 11.12.13 @ 7:08 pm

Uchebo is expected to play about the same time as Mostella

Comment by EMel 11.12.13 @ 7:09 pm

I like the pace that Fresno is playing; it will be a good learning experience for Pitt

Comment by wbb 11.12.13 @ 7:13 pm

lot of yellow … I mean blue seats

Comment by wbb 11.12.13 @ 7:23 pm

Love the quick D adjustment. That zone looks pretty ferocious!

Comment by TartanPanther 11.12.13 @ 7:25 pm

Love seeing them come back from the early adversity so well. You knew Fresno couldn’t keep shooting at their rate. Once the rebounds starting happening, Pitt has had the big edge.

Comment by AJMayo 11.12.13 @ 7:26 pm

I’m completely stunned by how much improvement Cam Wright has made the past two years. He’s so versatile. I’m impressed. Good for him.

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 11.12.13 @ 7:28 pm

Fresneck having trouble with our 2-3 Zone.

Good switchup by JD

Comment by EMel 11.12.13 @ 7:36 pm

also listening to the Larry Fedora radio show.

UNC likes their ‘trick plays’…5 difference players have completed passes this year for the Tarholes.

Comment by EMel 11.12.13 @ 7:38 pm

been impressed with young so far in these two games.. zanna looks good in this first half as well.

Comment by usd121 11.12.13 @ 7:44 pm

One of the quickest halves of basketball I’ve watched. Pretty impressive stuff from Pitt after the Bulldogs got up 13-8. I like what I am seeing so far.

Comment by Mailman 11.12.13 @ 7:45 pm

22-5 run to end the half after switching to the 2-3.

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 11.12.13 @ 7:45 pm

How about that zone. Pitt out scoring Fresno 27-5 since going to the 2-3 zone after the under 16 timeout.

Comment by Nick 11.12.13 @ 7:46 pm

If we can become a good to great zone playing team, that will also make our man d, that much more effective.

And will ultimately make us a much more difficult ‘OUT’ in the Big Dance.

You have to have multiple good defenses when you play good teams.

Comment by EMel 11.12.13 @ 7:48 pm

a Slice influence perhaps…..

Comment by EMel 11.12.13 @ 7:49 pm

Dixon has said that if you do a lot of things on defense, you don’t do anything well. Maybe he should rethink that. Having the zone in our back pocket might help out against the teams that rely on getting outside shooters open.

Comment by AJMayo 11.12.13 @ 7:55 pm

Does anybody have an online stream? I’m blacked out from ESPN3.

Comment by MikePITT 11.12.13 @ 8:06 pm

Enjoying the game on Fox Sports Midwest, here in Indianapolis.

This is an interesting-looking Panther team. Can they continue to improve? Need to see them against better teams.

Comment by Lou 11.12.13 @ 8:33 pm

If blackout on ESPN3 then can only use Gamecast

Comment by Frank MD 11.12.13 @ 8:40 pm

Fresno State completely outclassed by the Panthers.

Many positives about tonight with one HUGE question mark……..our outside shooting was El STINKO. We didn’t need the 3 point shot because Fresno is very weak under the basket. Against tougher competition we will need to make some 3′s to keep our opponents honest on defense.

All in all a solid game and it was nice to see Zanna running the court.

Comment by isnore 11.12.13 @ 9:01 pm

I really like the depth and team speed of this team…and it seems that were back to rebounding the ball…I like what I see so far…h2p

Comment by Keith 11.12.13 @ 9:10 pm

poor shooting overall but 17 assists on 30 made baskets and that is a good sign.

Comment by Pitt Dad 11.12.13 @ 9:12 pm

Won’t know until we play better teams, but individually they all look better. The new guys look like they belong.

Zanna finally looks like he is doing it without thinking about it first. Much faster and smoother. We have seen him regress before so we have to wait and see, but he looks good.

Cam Wright looks to be making the same jump that Sam Young and Wannamaker made. he looks confident and is finishing around the hoop.

Randall looks to be a strong roll player and Young less raw than most freshman looks to be the perfect fit.

A little concerned about Newkirk, not as polished as Robinson last year, but you can see the raw talent.

It looks like the starters will get most of the minutes when the ACC begins.

Love the ability to switch to zone, if they start to press we’ll know Jamie is a changed man and adapting to the new league.

Lots of work to do, but so far better than expected.

ACC announcers were very welcoming to the Panthers.

Comment by gc 11.12.13 @ 9:18 pm

I wouldn’t worry about the shooting. The two biggest culprits (Patterson & Johnson) were two of our best last year. Just a bad night behind the arc … and Pitt didn’t need it. Plus, everything I’ve heard is how spectators of practice have been surprised how well they shoot … Ben Howland included.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 11.12.13 @ 9:22 pm

The ACC refs won’t be as accommodating once Pitt plays the Carolina schools. Better brace for some bad officiating on Tobacco Road.

Comment by TX Panther 11.12.13 @ 9:27 pm

This could turn out to be a very special year for Pitt. They look talented and well balanced.

It is tough adjusting to the ACC logo on the floor. Even the announcers noted how difficult it was to see the old BE basketball disappear as they acknowledged it was the best ever created.

My guess is that Pitt will finish 1-4 in the ACC ranking. Dixon is the type of coach that could coach Pitt into a no. 1 finish in the BE. I predict that Pitt, Cuse, Duke, and UNC will contend for the championship.

Looking forward to see the Panthers back in Atlanta in January and in nearby Clemson SC (2 hours north) in early March.

H2P

Comment by Pitt Fan in Atlanta 11.12.13 @ 9:37 pm

The zone used to be weak against the three, but Pitt’s zone was especially strong against the three.

Comment by Howard 11.12.13 @ 9:48 pm

Once Mostella – who mark my words will immediately be our best offensive threat,is eligible we will evolve into a much more dangerous team. Did anyone else notice tonight that in the long run – our lack of an inside presence will be exposed eventually ? Any update on if Uchebo will go at all this year ? If not ; why recruit someone who is physically unable to perform ?

Comment by daddylonglegs 11.12.13 @ 11:32 pm

Short answer daddy….JD needed to take a ‘flyer’ on filling out the class.

If Randall is an adequate Center for 20 minutes per game, we can afford to let Uchebo come back at a more relaxed pace, fully healed, hopefully.

Cause actually next year is when we’re REALLY going to need Uchebo with Z graduating.

So far Randall looks to be a pretty good backup.

As far as the inside presence, I believe we’re looking for Mike Young to progress pretty rapidly to help out bigtime for that. 6 pts & 9 rebounds tonite. Got some help from Artis, 9 pts & 4 rebs as well. Double/Double from Z, 19 & 10.

Considering we were 0-11 from 3, scoring 75 points was pretty good. The defense held last weeks MWC player of the week to only 5 points and overall held Fresneck to 37% FG shooting. We crushed them on the boards, 48-25.

I would love to see JD use a press against one of these rent-a-win teams, to practice using it BEFORE SOME GAME, WHERE WE HAVE TO USE IT.

Aren’t going to get any good with it, unless you practice using it, in a real game.

Comment by EMel 11.13.13 @ 12:47 am

@ Howard

You are correct sir. In previous years we had Woodall and Gibbs as perimeter defenders. Think that explains that.

Comment by EMel 11.13.13 @ 12:51 am

actually, while Pitt defended the 3 well last night, I thought there were a lot of open guys underneath that the opposition missed. Fresno started to finally get the hang of attacking Pitt’s zone by putting someone in the high post, similar to how Pitt attacks Cuse, and were somewhat effective.

From what I saw last night, a good passer in the high post can do some damage against our zone

Comment by wbb 11.13.13 @ 7:05 am

Just heard a post-game from Dixon who indicated that he will be using the zone more this year because ‘we have the personnel for it’ …. does that mean that he doesn’t have man-to-man defenders on this squad?

Comment by wbb 11.13.13 @ 7:07 am

@wbb I think Dixon is talking about the size/length he has to work with on the perimeter, and that makes him more comfortable with the zone (rebounding out of it especially). You’re right about the open middle/high post — that was there all night, and only did FSU attack it in the 2nd half (and by then it was too late). As much as anything, I think it was poor adjustment/coaching on the Bulldogs’ part to not recognize it earlier — they were really surprised and caught off guard.

Comment by JW 11.13.13 @ 8:04 am

Don’t really know if Fresno State is a bottom dweller but a couple of observations:
*looked like plenty of empty seats the few times the ESPN3 crew scanned the crowd
*Post-Gazette more of less buried story behind several football articles
*Duke-Kansas played last night. Pitt’s next game is against…Howard?

Comment by TonyinHouston 11.13.13 @ 8:49 am

To those down on Newkirk, realize that this is the case of a player being in the wrong system. Newkirk was a drive-first, up-tempo player who dominated the ball. Now, he’s being forced to work it around for a higher percentage shot, which is something he isn’t used to. When he got a bunch of looks in game 1, he sank a handful of difficult 3s.

Comment by MikePITT 11.13.13 @ 9:05 am

FYI, Dixon makes it very clear that he’s still keen on focusing on opponent’s RPI out of conference as opposed to the big name. He goes as far as to say “we’re looking forward to watching them progress.”

link to pittsburgh.rivals.com

Comment by MikePITT 11.13.13 @ 9:08 am

Not down on Newkirk, he played like a freshman yesterday. Your observation makes a lot of sense. He is going to be very good, when he adjusts.

It takes a year or two for most guys. Robinson was the first guard at Pitt that had it from day one.

Tony, always plenty of seats for the tune-up games, Pittsburgh fans are a very spoiled bunch.

This team needs the tune-ups, not ready for Kansas or Kentucky.

Fresno State had no size, decent players, not big enough to hang with Pitt.

A couple good away games coming up.

Comment by gc 11.13.13 @ 9:17 am

This team did a good job of getting the ball into the post something they didn’t do against anyone last season. They also played a pretty impressive zone defense. Having that tool won’t hurt. I am impressed with Zanna and Randall at the 5 and Young and Artis at the 4. I realize the opposition has been soft but our inside folks have looked like they can board and have shown confidence offensively. My guess is Dixon will have them defensively prepared as well. I am encouraged by what we have seen of all four. I wouldn’t look to see Uchebo this season but I’m not sure he will be needed either. Our guards look quicker, less selfish and longer than I ever remember them. Patterson and Johnson seem to be very effective and I have to agree with what I heard last nights ACC announcers saying, ” Pitt is the most likely team in the ACC to play above their preseason ranking.” We sure don’t look like Woodall is missed and our frontcourt has been more impressive than last years team was early. I like the Zman in the post. He runs the court, rebounds and takes the ball at the hoop when he gets it down low. It took 5 years for him to figure that out but at least it looks like he has. I think there is plenty of early evidence that this team might be pretty good.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.13.13 @ 10:00 am

Was at the game. Definitely a good number of empty seats. Liked what I saw in general. The outside shooting was atrocious, which is unnerving considering that many were open looks and they were playing in a very familiar setting. Otherwise, generally was encouraged by what I saw.

Patterson still hesitated on what were several obvious catch and shoots, Zanna still failed to go up strong in several cases and brought the ball down after a rebound on several others and got it slapped away as a result. He looks to have improved some, but no big leap from what I could tell.

Definitely a longer, more athletic team than we’ve had in recent memory. The shooting performance was definitely bothersome, but I was generally encouraged. The real insights will come in the Legends Classic later this month or the Cincy game in mid-December.

Comment by Carmen 11.13.13 @ 10:23 am

Yellow empty seats certainly show up more on TV than dark blue ones

I think our team is more athletic than any of our teams in recent memory … not necessarily more skilled.

Really like Young and Artis, they play well for natural freshmen

Comment by wbb 11.13.13 @ 11:11 am

WBB, Looks like Dixon has them ready to make the jump to ACC ball and has a team that is flexible enough to handle any needed adjustments. I am actually a little surprised at what I see. After last year I was worried that we could suffer a set back this season but it looks to me like this team could be a very pleasant surprise. I noticed too that Vtech and Virginia both got beat last night. Can you believe some had us finishing below Boston College?

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.13.13 @ 11:48 am

Vtech starts freshman Devin Wilson from Montour, who scored 16 pts the other night. After our game, I turned on the VCU – UVa game last night to witness the home Cavaliers simply fold down the stretch. VCU turned up the defense and UVa was not able to get a decent shot off in the last 2 minutes.

I have no idea what BC has this year.

Comment by wbb 11.13.13 @ 12:01 pm

@Carmen, The big Cahuna from Kaduna is going to have a big year. He will always look a little clumsy but I was very impressed with his rebounding and the way he ran the court. He seems to be thriving in the 5 slot and looks very willing and able to contribute with his new baby hook. I thought he did a great job in the middle of the 2-3 zone as well. A confident Zanna could make this team something special. Randall looks to be the perfect complement as a backup. Other than his foul shooting I think he might be a real find. He seems to fit real well here. Adams and Sleepy for all of their hype and potential didn’t do anything that these two can’t surpass. The other factor is we actually fed the post at times last night. We went a whole year without that happening last season. Patterson looked way more sure of himself and his passing / pull up game had me remembering Wannamker. Cam Wright is dancing to the same music too. One couldn’t help but notice that we played great D again without getting in foul trouble. Sure it is early but at least this team is showing some signs of success. Last year even in the soft non-con our team seemed to be out of wack and this group seems to be in tune. One can’t help but notice.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.13.13 @ 12:33 pm

I see NC State got beat by Cincinnati last night. Did anyone see that game?

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.13.13 @ 12:37 pm

If you look at the bodies of the guys at MSU when they come back for their sophmore years they’re totally transformed. Izzo’s conditioning program and off season workouts seem to make a big difference for these guys. Miles and miles ahead of what Dixon must be doing, maybe that’s why our players never really get all that much better year over year.

Comment by PittHW 11.13.13 @ 1:33 pm

Because of his scoring ability and quickness, I think Newkirk could surpass Robinson as the starter next year…given the potential that I’ve seen by watching all of 1 whole game.

Comment by JJ 11.13.13 @ 1:40 pm

Pitthw, Aaron Grey was a fat load nothing when he showed up at Pitt. Did you see Cam Wright play last night? Did you see him 2 seasons ago? Izzo’s conditioning program might be superb but that doesn’t discount what Dixon does. Pitt had the most improved player in the Big East about half the time over the last 10 years in a 16 team league. Dixon’s teams are typically very conditioned and respected as among the more physical opponents in college basketball. His teams have underperformed in the NCAA tournament and he doesn’t have a lot of success recruiting and developing 5 star recruits. Beyond that Izzo hasn’t got anything on Jamie and since MSU started paying him 5million a year he hasn’t done squat. Jamie has flaws but the one you point towards isn’t valid.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.13.13 @ 1:52 pm

@JJ, Newkirk isn’t as mature a player by any stretch, in fact he looks like a true freshman, but everyone I have talked to sees the potential this kid brings. He has the natural quickness that Dixon can mold into gold at the point. Time and experience is all that stands in his way.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.13.13 @ 1:57 pm

@spiritofsection22, Aaron Grey is good counter point. You’re right about BE MIP Award as well. 6 in 11 years, I stand corrected. But you must be seeing something in Cam Wright that I’m not. At least in the 2 regular season games.

Comment by PittHW 11.13.13 @ 2:15 pm

@jj, With the addition of Mostella and Wilson to our inbound guard pipeline it leaves the backcourt looking like a strength for the next several years.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.13.13 @ 2:21 pm

Pitthw, Cam Wright didn’t look like he deserved a scholarship when he came here. Take a look at his arms now, They look NBA. He is an excellent defender and is starting to play more like Brad Wannamaker every day. Not to belabor my initial point but add Brad Wannamaker to the turned nothing into gold list. I think before Wright graduates next year he will make a big impression on everyone. He is a prototype Dixon 2 guard and just now starting to step it up. Zeigler couldn’t wait to leave town when he saw what was coming. Mike Pitt has a post this morning above that lists a site interviewing Dixon. He talks about Wright’s fitness. On the same site there is an interview with Zanna and Wright. Check it out and look at Wright’s arms, Popeye would be jealous.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.13.13 @ 2:38 pm

Pitthw, The video I am referring to is on the pitt athletics site. Go to basketball and it shows 4 videos, the 1st is Dixon and the second is Talib. The Talib video quickly turns into Wright talking about his new level of fitness. I have never seen a guard at Pitt have arms like this kid. Take a look I would be interested in your take on it.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.13.13 @ 2:54 pm

I don’t mean his body as much as I don’t see the basketball skill development from Cam that some people have said is there. He’s better than he was two years ago, but I’m not sure he’s really gonna do much. I hope I’m wrong though.

Comment by PittHW 11.13.13 @ 6:05 pm

@Pitthw, He looked sensational for much of the 1st half last night and Dixon has been heaping huge praise on him. I think we are watching the “new improved” version. Last night he was as good as I ever saw him play and the hi-lites at the site I pointed you towards sure had him dialed in. My guess is he is about to make a name for himself. He is a 3.7 gpa student. He lost his Dad to brain cancer and seems very focused. I just keep seeing Wannamaker reinvented. Maybe I am dreaming but maybe I just scoped it out early. We should know in a few weeks.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.13.13 @ 7:18 pm

Not dreaming…Cam Wright looked great last night and will be a key to our success this season.

Comment by HbgFrank 11.13.13 @ 7:38 pm

@HbgFrank, I was honestly surprised at how much better he played and then I rewatched the hi-lites and he was in on about 80% of those. This kid is 6’4″ tall and carries half his body weight in those arms. I don’t know what lifting program he is on but Robinson would be wise to copy whatever he is doing because it is sure working.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.13.13 @ 7:52 pm

@Pitthw, Funny — Dixon’s players won the Big East most improved player five or six times. I can name you a dozen players that stunk their first year and turned into excellent college players. Aaron Gray, Gary McGee, Sam Young, Antonio Graves, Brad Wannamaker, etc.

Comment by Denny 11.13.13 @ 8:58 pm

I saw Sam Young play his freshmen year down here at South Carolina.

He hardly stunk. Pitt was trailing and getting beat bad on the boards UNTIL Sam Young was inserted into the game. The game changed almost immediately, Pitt went from trailing to leading because Sam Young controlled the boards on both ends.

The South Carolina ppl I was seated with, were like…”who in the hell is this kid”. Pitt went on to never trail again and won the game.

The other ones you mentioned might have stunk, but Sam Young certainly does NOT belong in that group.

Comment by EMel 11.14.13 @ 4:16 am

Sam showed big time talent early, but didn’t have a complete game till junior year. Although, I thought he should have played more as a soph. Jamie favored Kendall, good player but disappeared a lot.

Comment by gc 11.14.13 @ 7:14 am

Sam Young struggled with joint problems ,I think is was knee pain, his sophomore year. I don’t think it was a Dixon choice but rather physical problems that held him back. He definitely looked good as a freshman.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.14.13 @ 9:02 am

Sam Young struggled with tendonitis his sophomore season.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.14.13 @ 9:04 am

He was still super athletic, but he couldn’t make a shot outside of two feet. He was no where near the polished player he became his senior year. Jamie deserves credit.

Comment by denny 11.14.13 @ 9:19 am

Hate to contradict you Denny, but Sam Young could certainly shoot from farther than 2 feet, his freshman year. In fact Young lead the team in scoring in that game his freshman year against South Carolina that I attended, with 16 points and grabbed 7 rebounds in only 22 minutes.

Sam even hit a 3 pointer in the game.

link to espn.go.com

Comment by EMel 11.14.13 @ 3:59 pm

Strange enough we scored 58 points in that game winning 58-51.

I just attended Pitt’s 58-55 win over Duke in football in late Sept in the other Carolina, (I’ve lived in both).

What’s pretty intesting at least to me, Pitt scored 58 points in both games I attended. Which also happens to be the year I was born in.

Yikes !