November 6, 2013

So this is a nice addition to the future football schedule.

Pitt and Oklahoma State will play a home-and-home football series during the 2016 and 2017 seasons, the schools announced today.

On Sept. 17, 2016, the Panthers will play at Oklahoma State in Boone Pickens Stadium.

The Cowboys will visit Heinz Field in Pittsburgh the following season on Sept. 16, 2017.

I do like that the dates of the games are 9/17/16 and 9/16/17. But then I’m a little tired and at this point easily bemused.

That means Pitt’s non-con for 2016 already has Oklahoma St., Penn St. and Villanova. There’s one more game to add, but two major conference opponents on the non-con is already more than most programs do in a season.

Hope that by 2016 Coach Paul Chryst has the O-line in place to do what he wants to do on offense. Otherwise it could be a scary time with the Cowboys.

As for that other team in the Big XII

Meanwhile, there has been little movement toward a resumption of the 104-game Pitt/West Virginia series that ended in 2011 when the schools announced they were leaving the Big East.

Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson, speaking Wednesday on TribLive Radio, said talks with West Virginia are not dead.

“Oliver (Luck, WVU athletic director) and I are friends,” Pederson said, “and we will keep talking about these things. If there is a way to engineer these things, we will try to do that.”

Of course. Naturally. No, there’s no foot-dragging.

If the Bowl of Jello ever wins 10 games at PITT, I’ll buy everyone on this post today a beer.

Comment by EMel 11.07.13 @ 2:32 pm

Wanny won the Big East in 2010

Comment by Nick 11.07.13 @ 2:38 pm

What followed after Wanny’s firing is a once in a life time set of circumstances that only happens to Pitt. So glad I’m a Pitt fan.

Comment by Wardapalooza 11.07.13 @ 3:01 pm

Nothing was ‘leaked’ to SI as everything in that article was public knowledge. That article’s basis was to review the ALL of the preseason Top 25 teams and look at ALL of their player’s arrest records. PITT happened to come out on top. If it was going to be a “hit” piece on PITT it would have saved the authors six months of research.

They didn’t find out anything that you couldn’t have found yourself. That article wasn’t pointed directly at PITT at all but the fact that PITT led all the teams and had those four major incidents that were already publicly known got the headlines.

You guys need to go back and look at the timing of those four violent incidents and then at the timing of when the SI authors reached out to PITT administration for an interview regarding the fact that PITT was #1 on that list. That interview request happened in mid-December of 2010.

Also notice this telling public statement by Nordenberg and Petersen in that article: “We have publicly acknowledged the unacceptable number of off-the-field incidents involving members of our football program during the past season. We have addressed these with the appropriate sanctions and spoke out against such behavior.”

Gee – wonder what those “appropriate sanctions” were the referenced? Could it have been the decision to fire DW? Yeah.

All that was the final nail in the coffin for DW, his firing was building before that article was being written.

We can and have talked for years about this but you all conveniently forget one thing. This isn’t the first time PITT fired a HC that was at or near the peak of his success at PITT. The coach prior to DW was also fired after the best season we had in 20+ years.

Gottfried was fired after a 7-3-1 bowl season also. It is pretty obvious to see that the PITT administrations don’t look at only W-L records when deciding to sh*tcan someone – other factors are as important if not more.

Keep on believeing that all this was some sort of personal vendetta between SP and the HC and that Nordenberg was led by the nose to fire DW. It is patently ridiculous and pretty demeaning to the Chancellor. DW and the circumstances surrounding the players and the program in 2010 led to that firing. PITT wasn’t going to let all of that go by without major changes.

It ain’t all about football at PITT fellas – as we have seen time and again.

Comment by Reed 11.07.13 @ 3:20 pm

@Nick, Wanny won the Big East in 2010???

Surely, you jest.

Oh, you mean the year we lost to UCONN and got embarrassed on our home field to WVU???

And somehow, the BE declared us co-champions of the BE????

Co-champions with, you guessed it, UCONN and WVU?

LOL, shhhhh, it’s less embarrassing if it’s never spoke of again.

The only thing worse, is someone on here said that the Ath. Dept. had co-champion tee shirts and hats made up and passed them out to the team. I’m still chalking that up to urban legend, even for SSS!!

Certainly, no one in their right mind, even at Pitt, would have sunk so low, as to make up a co-champion t-shirt and hats, where the teams you tied for the championship, both whipped you.

That must come from the school of thought of “Everyone’s a winner, everyone get’s a trophy!!!” LOL

Let’s quietly pretend we weren’t talking about this shameful period, and maybe it will just go away on it’s own!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 11.07.13 @ 3:25 pm

Sounds like a line from a movie.

“some things are better left unsaid, and Pitt being 2010 co-champ of the BE is one of them”.

LOL

Comment by Dan 11.07.13 @ 3:27 pm

Reed, Pitt has its best season in 20 years in 2002, not 2004. Pitt merely won a 4 team tiebreaker in a watered-down 7 team league in 04, giving them an undeserved BCS spot. I’ll grant you the 02 team was better than any of Wanny’s teams, but then his last 3 teams were better than what we saw for 30 years.

I have no evidence that SP leaked info to SI or anyone else as others have contended, but I have heard directly from a couple of sources that there was a big riff between SP and DW, in no small part to the slashing of the recruting budget and the low salaries budgeted for his staff. And despite this, SP had very high expectations for DW’s teams.

Fact is that it is the department manager’s job to lobby the Board for more money in his dept, yet SP showed little support. But isn’t it something how SP was all of a sudden able to get his boss to come up with another $600K+ after the Heyward embarrassment????

Lastly, too bad all this great criteria that SP claims is in place for recruiting, wasn’t used by SP himself when (1) he hired a guy with a mistress and (2) then hired a guy less than a month later who claimed that he (TG) knew coming here was a mistake to begin with.

SP spent $2M on a rush hire without proper vetting …. AND HE IS STILL HERE!!

Comment by wbb 11.07.13 @ 3:57 pm

Just posting to get in the EMel action as I like beer.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 11.07.13 @ 4:10 pm

@wbb, if that’s true, and it sounds very plausible, the SP is more of an ass than I thought.

“here, we’re cutting salaries and budgets, but I want you to win 2 more games a year”.

That’s ridiculous. But, you’d have to ask why is the chancellor doing that to the AD and the sports programs??

I mean, it’s not even debatable, it’s been shown time and time again, and you can google it, good athletic programs actually bring in more money for the university, not just the a.d., the university as a whole. Applications skyrocket. Don’t know why an administrator or chancellor wouldn’t embrace this concept.

I mean, who’s Nordy trying to be, Harvard, Yale or Princeton??

If that’s the case, then come out and tell the faithful, we’re de-emphasizng sports.

Also, I’m very pro academics. Academics and athletics sit side by side at many, many great schools across the country. They are not mutually exclusive, so anyone out there, spare me with the “Nordy’s job is academics first” argument.

We all know that. I would guess most of us on here take pride of what Pitt has become academically. What many are upset about, is the fact that many schools have both, why can’t Pitt???

Actually, quite perplexing if you really think about it.

Comment by Dan 11.07.13 @ 4:21 pm

I’m excited about the 2016 and 2017 seasons, it’s a great schedule for Pitt. Lots of great opportunities on the national stage. 2016 is when HCPC’s current contract ends, but coaches are usually extended of let got the year before the contract is up. I suspect that will be the case here, he’ll either let go at the end of 2015 or shown himself to be a quality HC. Personally, I expect the latter, but I know I’m in the minority. I’m glad we’re not giving the trash down in Morganhole the time of day.

Comment by PittHW 11.07.13 @ 4:27 pm

Dan, It was pretty much public knowedge that

– the recruiting budget was cut in 09 (only 2 FL recruits in 09 and 0 in 010),
– Wanny had the backing of some big boosters
– Wanny and staff were lowest paid in BE, and
– SP was paying Heyward a $1.4M salary but was able to all of sudden pay $2M to Fraud, just to bail his ass of the hook

And BTW, how about the fans? .. look at the large ticket drop from 010 to 011 even with the fast talking salesman?

NO OTHER SCHOOL IN THE NCAA WOUD HAVE PUT UP WITH THE MESS THAT SP CREATED, YET REED HAS THE GALL TO TELL US THAT SP DOESN’T HAVE NORDY IN HIS CORNER.

Comment by wbb 11.07.13 @ 4:32 pm

I believe this line has been used on this site in recent weeks, but when discussing SP and the conspiritorial way in which many think he opperates I would suggest this:

“Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence”

Comment by PittHW 11.07.13 @ 4:33 pm

Wbb, you don’t need to shout. Has any other AD been loudly boo’d by their own football fans? And, at a ceremony celebrating the retirement of the numbers of a beloved player?

But he is not called on the carpet, he just got a raise and contract extension. Is Nordenberg clueless or does he just want to slap the mouth of the loyal fans?

Send him back to Nebraska, oh yeah they don’t want him.

Who really got us in the ACC? Not Steve, it was Boston College’s, blackball of UCONN.

How much would really be donated to the Athletic Department if not for seat licenses?

Comment by gc 11.07.13 @ 4:57 pm

Stubhub has 1656 tickets available down from over 2100 a couple of days ago. Prices dropping.

May not be a home field advantage for us.

Comment by gc 11.07.13 @ 5:06 pm

gc, The Board is primarily concerned with the bottom line, thus with the increased ACC revenue, they will stick by the AD … obviously, winning at Pitt takes a back seat

Comment by wbb 11.07.13 @ 6:46 pm

Unfortunately that has been true for a long time.

Nebraska dumped him when he made a shambles of their program. We give him a raise and a contract when he does the same to ours. Go figure.

Comment by gc 11.07.13 @ 7:29 pm

I have some info on Pedey and Nordy that will blow your mind. My source is very close to them. I will leave it at this. Smug will absolutely be here for bare minimum 5 years. The 5 year extension is only part of it.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.07.13 @ 7:59 pm

Nobody on here. unless they’re SP or connected to the BOT knows for sure things weren’t ‘leaked’ to SI.

Saying that they do know and they know for certain that they weren’t ‘leaked’ is pure horsehockey.

In the words of Col. Potter. lol

SP had to hate DW for ‘undoing’ his Pittsburgh redo of the uniforms and the moniker for ALL Pitt sports teams. And for getting rid of beloved Dinocat which is still to be found on the bball uni’s and prolly somewhere, however be it so small on the football uni’s.

Comment by EMel 11.08.13 @ 12:28 am

Little ole previously forlorn Baylor, layed the wood to annual powerhouse and cheater Oklahoma.

Baylor who hasn’t the 100th tradition of Pitt can somehow hire a competent HC and staff, but somehow we can’t.

The Baylor Bears of Waco, Texas. lol

Comment by EMel 11.08.13 @ 12:31 am

Comment by wbb 11.07.13 @ 4:32 pm

That is pretty hysterical. Me thinks something is not kosher in this arrangement. Ya think !!!

Comment by EMel 11.08.13 @ 12:38 am

“Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence”
Comment by PittHW 11.07.13 @ 4:33 pm

Ahhh yes….that might indeed explain then the rollout of …..Obamacare. lol

Comment by EMel 11.08.13 @ 12:40 am

There is nothing you could say that would blow my mind when it comes to their relationship. Regardless, the Pitt athletic department remains a laughingstock. Pitt is using the Pirates methodology over the last 21 years. Low budget, get money from the rest of the league and screw your fans, your students and your alumni. But the consolation prize is that you get bigger money from your league and you pay the league back by being a whipping post. that’s why I don’t pay any more.

Spill the beans upitt. I won’t tell like steve told on wanny. lol

Comment by dhuffdaddy 11.08.13 @ 12:40 am

@ upitt

I think I heard the same thing. We’ll have to share notes over Daiquiri’s in Shreveport. lol

Provided Bashful & the dwarfs can rile up the troops enough to cough up 2 more wins.

Comment by EMel 11.08.13 @ 12:43 am

Hey fellas, I’m intrigued now, if you so feel like it, ddlochness@hotmail.com . Won’t go anywhere but my mind.

Actually any gossip about Pitt is like gossip about the Bob Newhart Show. There’s only a few of us left who care!! LMAO.

Pitt 27 Notre Dame 17

We get a bone thrown our way once in awhile. Just enough to lure everyone right back in, until the UNC, Syracuse, Miami kibosh kicks in to destroy us once again.

Then spring will come, and all will be good…..

Comment by Dan 11.08.13 @ 8:47 am

Oh, SSS, still gettin’ his way on one thing.

Cringe everytime I see a commercial for an upcoming game or an announcer talk about it.

Pittsburgh!!!!!! SSS really endoctrinated the sports networks.

For you youngsters, you never heard Pitt called “Pittsburgh” once, in the 70’s, 80’s and most of the 90’s.

EVER!!!!!! The name Pittsburgh wasn’t associated with Pitt at all. I mean, night and day, black and white, wasn’t even considered. You said “Pittsburgh”, someone was talking about the Steelers, Penguins or Pirates.

There is was last night, every commercial. Sat. 8:00 PM, Notre Dame vs. Pittsburgh.

I’ve thought about this over time, and I thought, well, maybe it’s not just SSS stupidest idea of all time.

But I’ve heard commercials for games with Ole Miss vs. someone, and they do not call them Mississippi.

They are called Ole Miss, formally for lack of a better word. That’s who they’re known as.

So, the dinocat may be gone, but SSS still sticks a knife in me often, when I hear someone in the college football world call us Pittsburgh.

They must not have all received the memo that it’s Pitt again, even after all these years.

Comment by Dan 11.08.13 @ 8:54 am

You know, seeing his personality and what he hasn’t accomplished, I could just picture SSS for those first couple years when dinocat and Pittsburgh were installed.

I say this without one iota of kidding in my blood.

I would bet, those first couple years, if an announcer slipped, and said “Pitt’s ball, 2nd and 8 at the 30”, SSS was on the phone to ESPN, ABC etc. etc.

“hey, “Bob So and So” was calling the Pitt-UCONN game and he called us Pitt, please handle that”.

Watch ESPN 2 Saturday night for Pitt vs. Iowa.

Guaranteed he was on the horn to the powers to be, “you put a graphic up that said Pitt”!!!!!

I know guys and old bosses like him, I’ll guarantee he did that. I don’t need prove, the more I think about him, I know he called the networks anytime anyone said “Pitt” on the air.

I don’t need proof, I know it. Bet it.

Comment by Dan 11.08.13 @ 9:01 am

You can’t protect or enhance a brand you never had. Pittsburgh was/is taken. Pitt is not. Pitt can be a brand.

Pederson is a brand associated with program failure. C’mon upitt, spill da beans.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 11.08.13 @ 9:35 pm

You boys still reading this one??? Nordy has a agreement that Smug is guaranteed employment for 5 years and the new chancellor has to approve upon being hired. It is in addition to buyout. He locked him up for 5 years and Board is on the same team. I will share my source if we make it to Shreveport but im very close to this person and they are in the know. High up the foodchain source.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.09.13 @ 11:20 am