November 3, 2013

Gametime for ND-Pitt

Filed under: Football,Media,Mouse Monopoly,Schedule,TV — Chas @ 12:19 pm

ESPN could wait until noon today to announce. And by god they did. Actually they went 15 minutes past it. Holding ND and Pitt writers and fans hostage with the delay.

Faced with the reality that they have no great options they opted for the ratings bet with ND at night. With VT flopping — Pitt faced Logan Thomas 2 weeks too early it seems — and Miami being crushed by FSU, the VT-Miami showdown lost any real luster of meaning in the ACC Coastal Wheel of Destiny. That sends them to a noon 7pm start.

As I said earlier, there was no value putting ND-Pitt on at 3:30 with two Big 10 games already in that slot. That puts ND-Pitt at night. Not just night. It’s the 8 pm ABC national broadcast. ESPN opted for the guarantee of ratings with ND involved. Even if the game itself will be, um, hard to sell as compelling.

Three home night games this year. Really can’t complain about nooners this year.

Yes football is a game and these are kids and it is entertainment and that’s why I won’t bash kids unless you’re Tino and 25 years old. But the game does generate millions for the university and region. And it does make or break a schools brand which drives donations, impacts college life and helps draw quality students. Football is an enormous economic and brand multiplier. It is a business and Nordy has failed to devote enough attention to it.

Comment by TX Panther 11.04.13 @ 8:17 am

The point about Dixon padding his schedule would make a lot of sense if his teams didn’t have such a great Big East record. I am pretty stasified with our two basketball HCs at the moment.

As far as HCPC, his attire and lack of enthusiasm doesn’t faze me one bit. My big concern right now is why this team is not improving offensively.

Comment by wbb 11.04.13 @ 8:36 am

Imma Man raises the million dollar question. Many strong voices have already given up on Chryst. I have opined that a lot of evidence is mounting up in that direction.

But what does Chryst have to do to turn it around in 2-3 years, because I think that is what he has to work with?

History tells us that great head coaches surround themselves with great assistants. You can look at the coaching trees of the superstars. In Pitt’s case, from 76 to 84, we had many assistants that went on to be future head coaches or leaders in their specialties. A secondary question is, is this on Chryst or is it the budget?

Without a doubt, recruiting is the answer. Great players can make average coaches look great, but not always. You can make the case that Chryst has done ok so far. He held on to many of Fraud’s people, not an easy task. His first class is contributing, and looks to be fine. He is building an O-line which will be good when they mature.

His second class has to be a winner, if he doesn’t finish strong, there will be a lot joining his detractors. He needs the four or five big names, and if he doesn’t find several stud linebackers and d-linemen, we will be giving up 40 points a game next year. He also needs a big time back, some one that can go the distance.

Did I say that the class of 14-15 is critical? Everything is riding on it. It still won’t be enough for next year. Without it 15-16 will be bad and Chryst will probably be gone.

He also has to hope that one of his young QB’s, hopefully Voytik, is a winner.

After writing this, I must admit, these are pretty long odds. The final piece is after and if he gets enough and better players, is he a good enough coach to make them a winning team?

Yikes!

Comment by gc 11.04.13 @ 8:42 am

If I went to Pitt under Majors II, my frustration levels would be lower. My problem is, I went there during Majors I and Sherrill. Dorsett was a senior when I was a freshman, and Marino was a freshman when I was a senior.

I think it’s factual (or maybe even optimistic) to say that Pitt will lose the same number of games this year — six — that we lost my entire four years: 0, 1, 4 and 1.

And yet, we have more money to spend on the program now, we have much better facilities no, etc. Of course, schools like Texas and Oregon lap us in both departments.

I don’t know if we’ll ever get back to the Glory Days or not. But I know we sure outta be better than we are now, better than an embarrassment, homecoming game opponents, chokers, and whatever other label you’d attach to the Tino and (so far) HCPC years.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 11.04.13 @ 8:45 am

The Glory Days are not coming back. They were too dumb to realize the Wanny years were their ceiling. Decent teams that will win 8-10 games a year, play in mid level bowl games, occasionally compete for a conference title, & put their share of guys in the NFL.

Comment by Nick 11.04.13 @ 8:56 am

wbb, I think the offensive line has not got any better, the backs are average, and the playcalling is a mystery. Savage has his obvious limitations. Bad luck that Bisno went down and Johnson had to play against GT’s most formidable pass rusher.

I also think the coaching is poor. Too many times, the lineman or back picks the wrong guy to block, allowing someone to come unabated to the QB. Why did they not give Johnson a tight end to double team the guy with the unpronounceable name?

The play calling is also a mystery. No draw plays, no shovel passes, few quick slants or screens. All the plays to take advantage of the blitz aren’t ever called.

On several occasions, the draw to Bennett was wide open, he ran through the hole without the ball and Savage got sacked. Don’t these guys look at the Polaroids?

Now the few times Savage had time to go deep, he throws short.

It is not all bad luck, even though we get more than our share.

The other issue is that big backs need lots of carries to get into the game. We seem to have given up on the run.

Comment by gc 11.04.13 @ 9:17 am

JR, good comment about Dorian, it also applies to the other 12 freshman that are playing…GT game was a good example of boys against men…in 3 years the boys will be men with some supporting cast in place as well. Before the seson started when Pitt was predicted to finish 6th and many on this board predicted 4-8 or 5-7 and not going to a bowl game…it hurts but you were right! I did like the fact that the team didn’t quit and the post game interviews with the players spoke of adjustments and desire. You have a young team and a young coaching staff.

Comment by markp 11.04.13 @ 9:17 am

Imma Man!Im 40. I agree. I was @ PITT approx the same time as Majors 1 & Sherrill. Extremely frustrating!! No matter who is coaching lets face it this OL is completely unable to perform on a minimally basic level. How severe is BIZ injury? Has Dorian Johnson earned another start?? Move Johnson to RT,BIZ @ LT & bench Clemmings?? I know Clemmings first year as o-lineman. What can be done to assemble a reasonably competitive OL?

Comment by DC33 11.04.13 @ 9:23 am

Most teams pad their schedules, it only sucks for the fans. By the way, when Jamie leaves it will be like Sherrill leaving. Careful what you wish for.

Comment by gc 11.04.13 @ 9:25 am

How bad is Juantez Hollins?

Comment by gc 11.04.13 @ 9:27 am

If Pitt loses out, then Chryst has next year to turn it around or he will be fired. Back to back losing seasons would be completely unacceptable. Honestly, I’d fired Chryst this year if Pitt loses out. The recruiting class will probably turn horrible. Some existing recruits will back out and those remaining targets aren’t going to be jumping to go to Pitt.

Comment by Wardapalooza 11.04.13 @ 9:34 am

Lots of our Blather posters like to label themselves as “realists”. Most everybody who self labeled themselves as such, predicted a tough year for the Panthers preseason, most predicting a .500 season or worse. Well we’re at .500, so why is the sky falling at this point in the season for Pitt? Let’s take a look at the reality of the situation right now.

Yes, we are not a very good football team. Our OL has been disappointing and our 5th year QB has shown all the kinks in his armor. Our running game is in hibernation when the OL is stinking out the stadium and in general, we don’t know how to win consistantly those close games that are within our grasp. Big problems for sure.

However, we’re playing 16 RS or true Freshman and they’re all acquiring invaluable game experience every week. We have an All American playing to his true potential in Aaron Donald. Tyler Boyd is demonstrating that the college stage isn’t too big for him to succeed on and in general, we’re keeping games close even when we come out on the short end of the stick. The Defense is starting to show signs of life and every opponent left on our schedule have their own issues that could be exploited if we decide to end our Pitt pity party and start talking football again.

Does this season go down in flames and end up 4-8 or do we get a nice surprise and end up at the .500 mark by season’s end, as many have predicted? Or do we get astonished by a WTF last third of the season and have Pitt come to life as an improving team and steal a game or two bettering that .500 record, while we all scratch our heads trying to figure out how in the world that happened? Well, that IS why they play the games, and yes this is supposed to be entertainment, even though many of us are so emotionally invested in the outcomes (me included) and make it seem like life and death situations.

So do not give up on this team, just yet. Actually this same team, with just a half dozen plays turning around in Pitt’s favor could just as easily be 6-2 right now, rather than at .500. Yeah, I know, we’d still stink, but we would be 6-2 anyhow, smelly or not.

Chryst isn’t going anywhere soon, so get used to seeing him around for a couple more years. The team is still invested, although beat up a little after these last to loses and a Primetime game is forthcoming on Saturday against ND.

So get your head out of your hands, stop belly aching about all of the obvious negatives in this program and let’s start talking football again because next up is Notre Dame and I want to beat those GD Domers!.

Look, just last week we were all crying that we were going to get blown out by a “real” triple option team that laid 69 on Syracuse, since only the week before we got handed a loss by a “scrub” Navy team. Then we see that maybe Navy plays a better brand of football than many gave them credit for, losing to ND on a last minute drive, being unable to convert on fourth down.(BTW, if Navy’s pulling guard makes his block and the RB cuts his run back up the field vertically, we’d be playing a ND squad that would be coming off a loss to Navy, IMO. Instead, Navy loses a heart breaker that reminded me a lot of how Pitt manages to lose games, so maybe Pitt hasn’t quite cornered the market on producing such gut wrenching loses like us Panther fans like to imagine.)

Right now, I’d be satisfied with a 6-6 season. We need two wins, a win this Saturday night would be one that I’d give my right arm to see in person, and I’ll be there rooting on the Panthers like I always do. ND is beatable, just like we finally realized that GA Tech was beatable, a Pitt blow out by Ga Tech, NOPE? A blown opportunity by Pitt to win ,YEP! We could have won that game! Can we beat ND, we sure can, if we get out of our own way! That’s why they play the games!

Hail to Pitt, Beat Notre Dame!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.04.13 @ 9:38 am

We looked better against GT than I thought we would and with all these freshman I suppose one can hope we might show some future improvement. It is unfortunate but a little hope is better than the none our football usually generates.HTP

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.04.13 @ 9:52 am

Dr. Tom, I love the glass is half full attitude. But losing last week because we didn’t get a deserved review and losing this week on a fake punt and almost a Hail Mary is very frustrating.

Especially when Aaron Donald played his best game ever.

When do we get to win on a fluke play or ref’s call? We always seem to be on the short end.

Anyway, love the positive attitude.

I will be there on Saturday, probably a midst the green clad-den jerks. A win would be good for the soul. Unfortunately, I expect another new and dumbfounding way to choke. Sorry, my glass is half empty.

Comment by gc 11.04.13 @ 10:07 am

@@@@@

Dr Tom

Bad things happen to bad FB teams who
commit penalties, shank punts, don’t
plan for a fake punt, have too many players
on the field, etc etc. a goal of 6-6 is were
this program is sadly. However don’t bet
your 401k on a 6-6 record. Sorry but I am tired
Of this after 30 years. Can you believe
Northern Illinois is in the Top 20? Pitt has
become irrelevant in major college FB and I am
pissed about it.

Comment by JR 11.04.13 @ 10:12 am

Food for thought, on a top ten team, would Aaron Donald be a Heisman candidate?

Comment by gc 11.04.13 @ 10:14 am

JR, pitt has been irrelevant on the national stage for the vast majority of the past 30 years. until pitt consistently recruits better athletes, nothing is going to change. makes me sick to see an absolute stud like donald playing his ass off and see that effort wasted due to lack of performance by oline, qb, rbs and coaching staff.

Comment by scott 11.04.13 @ 10:26 am

Smug Smilin’ Steve: So, Mark, how was the engineering dinner they had for you?

Nordy: Good, good. Very touching, great food, saw some old friends.

Smug Smilin Steve: Watch those calories on all of the exit dinners everyone will have for you. Dinner circuit can be brutal.

Nordy: I know, I know, have three more of them next week.

Smug Smilin’ Steve: Did want to let you know a couple things real quick. Got the baseball schedule figured out for spring. Track team has new uniforms. Hoops starts Friday. Football team only lost to GTU 21-10. Have a few bids for the womens softball team equipment. Needed an extra person in the AD to help with student affairs. I have an AD event on Thursday. Other than that, everything humming along nicely.

Nordy: Sounds great Steve, sounds like you have things under control and your finger on the pulse, talk to ya soon.

Smug Smilin’ Steve: Ok Mark, just wanted to keep you up to date. Talk to ya later.

Comment by Dan 11.04.13 @ 10:30 am

A loss is a loss. Yes there are a billion things more important than PITT winning. OK, only a four. It is how PITT loses that bothers me the most. PITT loses in a non-competitive manner. At times they didn’t appear to be on the same level as GT. GT is a very similar program. It bothers me that this staff has struggled to assemble even a mediocore OL. The game plan appears to be the same each week? At least be tough & competitive. Is this too much to ask? God Bless you Dr Tom for thinking PITT has a chance against ND. I love the Panthers but man are they frustrrating. H2P!

Comment by DC33 11.04.13 @ 10:33 am

A look at some facts. Pitt in 5th place out of 7 in ACC Division. No chance to win division. Must win 2 games to go to (maybe Shreveport). ESPN power ACC rankings Pitt is 8 of 14. ND probably favored by 10 at Pitt. H2P

Comment by Frank MD 11.04.13 @ 10:41 am

Dr. Tom sums it up pretty well. We can obsess about the close ones we could have won, but there have also been three wins, Duke, UVA and ODU that could easily have gone the other way. Pitt is struggling but who didn’t see that coming? We don’t have star quality talent for the most part and we don’t have star quality coaching. Can we grow into the program we all want to see? Time will tell.

Comment by dinosaur 71 11.04.13 @ 10:49 am

Starkey’s column hit the nail on the head – at this point, it’s still too early to tell.

What transpired with this program from the end of the 2010 season through the hiring of Paul Chryst has been unprecedented for college football programs at Pitt’s level. Programs change coaches all the time, but how many have had to do it twice in two years? I can’t think of any. And even if there were any, I’m pretty sure they didn’t recover in just two years.

Chryst’s hiring, then, wasn’t so much a decision to rebuild as it was the program completely hitting the reset button.

If Chryst has accomplished anything at all through his first two years, I hope it’s that he has been able to get a complete buy-in from everyone associated with the program. That means current players, coaches recruits and the administration. It’s something Pitt hasn’t had since at least the start of the 2010 season. And quite frankly, nothing he hopes to accomplish on the field to move this program forward can happen without it.

It’s why, as tough as it was to watch, the roster turnover that happened between Graham’s departure and the start of this season was necessary.

It’s why, as tough as it is to watch at times right now, playing younger players – some before they’re really ready to play – may be necessary.

In terms of the bigger picture, none of the on-field results from last year or this year matters nearly as much as getting everyone within the program to buy into the same message. There has to be a foundation and it has to be solid.

Quotes from the players seem to suggest that it’s happened, particularly from the younger players. Quotes from many of the kids committed to Pitt seem to suggest it as well. That’s a start.

Comment by Stoosh 11.04.13 @ 10:57 am

By definition, being a Pitt fan is supposed to be frustrating. It would be so easy for us simply to go out and buy a bunch of clothes with a big “A” on them, sit in front of our TVs on Saturday yell “Roll Tide” while Alabama notches up another win.

But instead, for whatever reasons, we are Pitt fans. And we are saddled with the struggles and frustrations of being Pitt fans. So never, ever give up and expect the best, every once in a while this team might surprise us. When they do remember to savor the win, especially when it is against a team like Notre Dame. Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.04.13 @ 11:17 am

Notre Dame was obviously looking ahead to their big titanic struggle on the big ABC 8pm Saturday nite game with PITT.

So quite naturally they overlooked/were complacent(like Pitt was) when facing ‘scrub’ Navy.

Yes we could be 6-2 but we also could be 2-6 quite as easily, as we caught Duke at a ‘good time’ and apparently UVA as well.

While it’s nice to think we still have a chance to get those 2 needed wins. Realistically I don’t see any improvement offensively, actually it’s been regression from week to week. As someone noted quite funnily, our Running Back carries are now measured in ‘inches per carry’.

And a 6-6 bowl game against some 6-6 C-USA team doesn’t do anything for me. Nothing to gain in a game like that except further embarrassment (see SMU in Compass Bowl).

We’re not going to be able to run the ball against ND and that means Savage will be ‘running for his life’ again on most passing plays.

This old movie has been well watched and is playing every Saturday on the Pitt Channel.

And the directors of this ‘B’ movie know only one style of directing it. Poorly.

And from the viewers just a collective……Sigh.

Thank God bball is beginning !

Comment by EMel 11.04.13 @ 11:27 am

@ EMel, sounds like you have an Alabama sweatshirt in your future to me. “Roll Tide”! LMAO

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.04.13 @ 11:31 am

I say this carefully: I can even put up with Pitt’s mediocrity (maybe even slightly worse than mediocrity) for a little while, as long as I see the coaching staff — especially the head coach — gets it, has passion and exhibits leadership, cares at least as much as I do (when they oughta care much more because their livelihood and their family’s well-being is at stake) enough to put in the effort, do whatever it takes to right the ship.

I’m still wanting — and waiting — to see HCPC show a little passion. Maybe he does it behind closed doors (that’d be okay with me, as long as he shows it SOMEWHERE). So far he appears to coach Pitt like I’d probably coach PSU: don’t care if they win or not.

There’s an eerily similar example out here with the University of Colorado. They completely fell off the face of the earth with two consecutive bad hires: from Big XII champs to (almost) winless seasons. But at least the AD had the courage to cut the last group free early (only after Year 2), because they demonstrated they were in waaaay over their heads: their head coach had never even been a coordinator before; none of the assistants had much if any experience but were, to a man, hired because they were cronies of the head coach; players had no idea what they were doing, gut-wrenching collapses & losses (does any of this sound familiar)? Altho at least HCPC had been an OC at a BCS-AQ program before getting the Pitt job.

But CU went out and hired the dude who turned around San Jose State, and altho their record is only slightly better (3 wins so far, vs. only 1 all of last year and shouldda been zero), they’re playing much better and there’s buzz around the program. And it’s evident the current coaches get it, and they truly care.

So back to Pitt: if we’re doomed to be 6-6 again, please, HCPC at least show me that you’re as unhappy about that as I am, and that you have a plan. But since he’s so vanilla and passive in public, he leaves people to assume that one reason for that might be that he doesn’t give a crap. And (if true) THAT I cannot tolerate.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 11.04.13 @ 11:31 am

I hate Monday mornings btw.

Comment by EMel 11.04.13 @ 11:33 am

@ Doc. Yep yep. what size do you wear or should I just get the 4 X oversized Chyrst special ? lol

Comment by EMel 11.04.13 @ 11:38 am

Love him or hate him, at least Todd Graham & his assistants showed true passion, cared about every loss as much as (or more than) I did, and had a plan going forward that he realized was in his best interest to communicate to an impatient alumni & fan base.

I don’t think hiring TG was a mistake, altho him leaving the program after only one year was a kick in the nards. Compared to HCPC, who has already been here longer: (so far) I think his hiring might be.

There are worse things than having a head coach that other schools want to hire away. One of them is having a coach nobody else wants, not even his alma mater….

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 11.04.13 @ 11:40 am

Comment by gc 11.04.13 @ 9:17 am

Yep a mystery indeed. When a team blitzes a lot you have to ‘make them pay’ for blitzing.
Otherwise they’ll just keep on doing it. Which is what we’ve seen since UVA. The reward of the blitz, which is the sack or the hurried pass has to be challenged with the risk of giving up a big play against it.

A coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball has to draw up plays as gc noted, that will capitalize when enemy teams blitz. The amateur hour staff we have should have plenty of experience with it by now to be able to combat it. Yet we’re not seeing anything with plays to take advantage of the blitz.

Just mind boggling.

Comment by EMel 11.04.13 @ 11:56 am

Cruel Imma Man…..very cruel. You big meanie.

Accurate though ! lol

Comment by EMel 11.04.13 @ 11:59 am

In our latest 3 games against real competition.

1)We’ve scored 14 points on 2 short drives gift wrapped by UVA. Did nothing much against them, other than giving up 8 sacks.

2)We scored 9 points against Va Tech, again not doing much except getting Savage spooked. And the TD was very late in the game.

3)We scored 10 points on a bad GT defense who the week previously gave up almost 500 yards total offense and 25 points to UVA.

Offense is just putrid; the playing calling, the execution, the whole thing. Even 11 touches by Boyd and over 118 yards receiving could not rescue this offensive offense.

I think it’s time PC go up in the Box and call the plays from up there. He doesn’t do anything on the sidelines anyway, except forget to challenge key plays and use his TO’s. And of course look stupid.

Comment by EMel 11.04.13 @ 12:07 pm

Imma, you don’t think hiring ^TG was a mistake.

Any HR professional will tell a primary criterion of any hire for a long distant hire is if that person willing to commit to the new location and environment.

Yet, in his rush, our AD lobbied his boss to spend $600k above budget, even though his new hire had already shown a propensity to move immediately from a newly hired job.

Comment by wbb 11.04.13 @ 12:09 pm

UNC game is 12:30 and be televised on ACC network

Good, don’t plan on driving in …. although I will be at both ND and Miami games

Comment by wbb 11.04.13 @ 12:13 pm

WE will be hard pressed to win 6. I felt like some of our kids were overmatched in Georgia but they kept trying and showed some heart. Maybe in a year or 2 Chryst can get us up to mediocre.

Comment by spiritofsection22 11.04.13 @ 12:26 pm

As an addition to building up hatred for Notre Dame (as if we need it), what other school could get a 4 page Sports Illustrated article on a QB Golson who was thrown out of school for the year!!

Comment by Dan 72 11.04.13 @ 12:32 pm

@@@@@

Under no circumstances does Fraud
get a favorable reco over PC. I don’t
believe that Fraud’s staff cared more than
the current staff. Fraud was never going to
be in Pgh long term. Glad he left. Hated
is offense and his hucksterism.

Comment by JR 11.04.13 @ 12:37 pm

Someone posted this on a previous blog entry, but it bears repeating: Chancellor Nordenberg has been an unquestionable success for the University of Pittsburgh. The increased academic reputation alone merits that designation. The increased endowment puts his tenure into the “unmatched” category. However, I do believe he allowed his pursuit of academic and financial gains to diminish his attention to details with regard to intercollegiate athletics.

The next chancellor must continue the academic and financial momentum that Chancellor Nordenberg has created. But they must also place a high value on the success of our intercollegiate athletic programs. He or she must demand results from our coaches that make six and seven figure salaries. That does not mean winning it all every year, but it does mean that not winning a conference game in two years, or missing the NCAA tournament for more than two or three consecutive years, or winning six football games a year is not going to cut it. It also means that if Pitt is serious about winning, then when one of our major sports has a coaching vacancy, we need to seek the best qualified candidate available and be willing to pay that person and their staff the going salaries for top coaches.

Joining the ACC has resulted in a $15M per year increase in revenues over what the Big East was paying each school. Only a fool would not dedicate a significant portion of that increase to coaches’ salaries.

Comment by HbgFrank 11.04.13 @ 12:43 pm

It’s getting pretty clear that Bostad had a lot to do with Chryst’s success. That dude is doing a pretty good job in Tampa Bay. Last year Doug Martin was a beast. And yesterday the second string RB put up over 100 yards against one of the best D’s in the NFL.

Comment by Wardapalooza 11.04.13 @ 12:47 pm

Now at least we’re talking football again. I agree, the play calling has not been imaginative on offense. With the lack of offensive production as of late, imagination in playcalling becomes more essential every day, doesn’t it?

BTW EMel, 4X Chryst size, really funny!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.04.13 @ 12:48 pm

Baylor’s offense is averaging an incredible :

718 yards per game.

An equally incredible 9 yards per play average.

#72 Notre Dame is averaging 399 yds per game

6.1 yards per play

#103 PITT checks in at 346 ypg

5.6 ypp

Thank God for those New Mex, ODU & Duke game or that would halve those figures.

Comment by EMel 11.04.13 @ 12:53 pm

Once again, I want to thank Chas and Justin for hosting this site. I was disappointed and glad at the same time when the site went down around half-time. I thought that was the worst played half of football this year, and thought we would see a blow-out in the second half. The third qtr was one of the best all year and you know what happened in the fourth. If the site was up, I might have been banned for life.

Anyway, having this site to commiserate with like minded, we all are Pitt Fans, is most reassuring.

We all react differently, but we are all sick enough to come back each week. Dr. Tom is right, it is easier to root for Alabama. That is why there is a Steeler Nation and the Yankees are so beloved. That is also why there are so few Pitt Fans. You have to have real thick skin or are somewhat masochistic to root for our team.

I just read a book where the main character was offered a free tattoo. He replied no thanks, I try to avoid pain in all of it’s forms. I believe in the same mantra, no tattoos here, so why do I come back to get my heart broken week after week?

So thanks guys for the outlet, I can’t afford a shrink.

It will feel really good when we win a game that matters, I hope we all live that long.

I have been very lucky to see the Pirates, Steelers, Penquins and Pitt Football win Championships after being the dregs in their sport for long periods of time.

I would love to see the Pitt Administration get the will to win, but I am afraid Dan’s characterization is closer to the truth.

Hail to Pitt!

Comment by gc 11.04.13 @ 1:11 pm

When you’re on the 3rd & last page of all these Team offensive stats, you know you’re bad.

Team Rushing Offense

# 104 Pitt sits at a measly 122 ypg

3.6 yards per rush

Lately that’s more like 3.6 inches per rush

Meanwhile

#10 Wisconsin is at 287 yards per game

6.7 yards per rush.

Appears the Badgers don’t miss Bashful and the other dwarfs.

Comment by EMel 11.04.13 @ 1:14 pm

Pitt RB’s could almost….just fall forward if we lined them up 1 yard behind LOS.

Let’s see, a yard is 3 feet (check)
Connor is over 6 feet tall and Bennett is close(check)

6 feet equals 2 yards. (check)

Yep that will work. Who has Bashful’s email address ? 🙂

Comment by EMel 11.04.13 @ 1:20 pm

Emel, You crack me up, Bashful, priceless. That one might catch on.

Comment by gc 11.04.13 @ 1:26 pm

Which one is Dopey, Sleepy?

Comment by gc 11.04.13 @ 1:29 pm

Maybe I was wrong, Alvarez is an evil genius.

Comment by gc 11.04.13 @ 1:31 pm

Will be at my 2nd game this year, traveling in from Allentown, with my 2 sons(both who have recently graduated from Pitt and live in Pgh.). Will have a great time, enjoy the atmosphere and hope for a win! Though the season has been a disappointment I always hope for the best! I am spoiled since I was at Pitt in 1976 acquiring a master’s degree so have seen the good, bad and the ugly.
Let’s Go Pitt!

Comment by Bruce F 11.04.13 @ 2:55 pm

Other than giving up some big plays (I’m looking at you Vinopal) the Defense played ok Satuday, and quite frankly the last 5 games. I still can’t stand not having our CBs checking guys at the line occasionally, but House’s D has only been giving up a touch over 18 points per game the last 5 games.

The question is, with such big, slow, 3rd-down stye running backs as our only options, and a uniquely bad o-line, can we score 24 points against ND this weekend?

Comment by PittHW 11.04.13 @ 3:07 pm