August 26, 2013

Coach Paul Chryst has the press conference for Pitt-FSU today. It’s at noon and being streamed live. I may be watching and commenting. [Editor Note: Correction, it appears to be a premium feature so no live watching unless it’s being aired on ROOT.]

Okay, the game notes for Pitt-FSU are out (PDF). On page three you can find the first 2-deep.

I’m not going to try and reprint the whole thing, because fixing the formatting would take too long.

So let’s just hit the surprises/highlights/etc.

Artie Rowell is listed as the starting Center. There is no OR. Considering Roberts still struggled in training camp with the snap exchange, this can’t be a total shocker.

Tyler Boyd is indeed the starting #2 wide receiver. T.J. Clemmings is starting over Dorian Johnson at right tackle.

The two-deep features two-tight ends. J.P. Holtz is one starter (ahead of Scott Orndoff) and Manasseh Garner is listed as the other (with Jaymar Parrish behind him). No fullback and Garner’s spot is not being called the H-back.

Isaac Bennett is being listed as the running back, but Malcolm Crockett is listed behind him rather than James Conner. Not sure if it’s the shoulder or just meaningless. That will likely be a question in the presser today.

Over to the defense, Ejuan Price is listed as OR at both defensive end starter spot. Interesting because I interpret that to mean they really are high on Price as a disruptor in passing situations, and are looking to line him up where they feel he can create the most havoc.

Anthony Gonzalez is listed as the starting linebacker over Todd Thomas. We’ll see how much time Gonzalez and Bam Bradley actually are out on the field over Thomas.

Actually seeing Ray Vinopal and than Cullen Christian as #1 and #2 at free safety on the depth chart fills my heart with dread.

No Tyler Boyd on punt or kickoff returns. My money is on that happening by the third game.

I am not exactly wild about the set-up for punt and kickoff returns. Senior CB K’Wuan Williams is the primary punt returner. On kickoffs it is CB Lafayette Pitts and S Jason Hendricks. All three are clearly the best at their positions on defense. Not to mention both Williams and Hendricks have battled injuries at various times. So sticking them back there is a little unnerving. It was pointed out on twitter that some of it may be motivated by Chryst trying to help both seniors with their draft stock by featuring them on special teams.

Notes on the depth chart from Chris Peak at PantherLair.

Now just waiting for the presser.

Atlanta and Doc – It would appear the Offensive Line is FSU’s strength. No bueno for us…

link to tallahassee.com

Comment by Upittbaseball 08.27.13 @ 8:18 am

I love all the enthusiasm. I really do as I’m pumped for the game. But I feel this way every year – and you all know how that has turned out recently. I just foresee FSU starting off their first series with about 4 or 5 runs that end up in the end zone. Their OL is good, real good and they have super speed at RB/WR and QB.

Comment by JJ 08.27.13 @ 8:19 am

I actually think both offenses will start this game off strong. pitts d will struggle early because they have to adjust to the speed of a new opponent and fsu’s will because they have a lot of new faces playing an unfamiliar team and an unfamiliar style. pitt and Syracuse are really the only acc teams who run a pro-style offense and tom savage might be the only acc qb who takes significant snaps under center. like I said, I expect strong offense for the first 2 or 3 series of the game and then it wil become a defensive game.

of course, who cares as long as pitt wins? id like a 10-7 win just as much as a 45-38 one!

Comment by pk 08.27.13 @ 8:57 am

Guys, It woudn’t surprise me if we lose by 25, lose by 9 or win by 3 or by 10. I have no clue to honestly access our team and or FSU’s at this point. History would say they win by 20 but this game could go 50 different ways.

Comment by Upittbaseball 08.27.13 @ 9:01 am

Upittbaseball, you are right on concerning FSU’s OL, their weakness there is at the TE position, that is why I was mentioning coming off the edges for disruption. It exposes our secondary to man to man coverages if you take that gamble and over weight the defensive line or bring a backer or corner, but unless Jameis is quick on the draw we could produce enough pressure on those types of plays to cause him to get him to make mistakes.

Make no doubt about it, turnovers and big plays will be necessary for Pitt to stay in this game.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.27.13 @ 9:17 am

Let’s strap it on and play boys! Only way to decide who we are and how we play.

As for the uni’s – it seems to me that the Pitt athletic department doesnt understand marketing and the opportunity a change of uniforms – if for only a game, generates in PR, fan excitement and income.

HTP – beat the ‘noles!

Comment by Pitt it IS 08.27.13 @ 9:50 am

Just for a second imagine this……….

No one knows and no secret leaks……

Pederson changes the uniforms to the yellow and blue and we had the script. The excitement and the national audience would do a double take and say wow Pitt’s uni’s look awesome. Pitt is playing tonight. Not Navy, Notre Dame, etc.

Then I wake up and realize Pederson is our AD and our marketing department is bush league.

Comment by Upittbaseball 08.27.13 @ 10:07 am