August 23, 2013

Chapman Dismissed

Filed under: Embarrassing,Football,Scandal — Justin @ 10:51 am

Pitt officials have announced that Tra’Von Chapman has been dismissed from the program. In essence: he’s gone, never coming back. We can debate endlessly over this decision, but the call came all the way from the top: Chancellor Nordenberg.

Let’s go over just the facts:

Former Kent Roosevelt star quarterback and University of Pittsburgh freshman Tra’Von Chapman pled guilty to a charge of attempted assault on Monday afternoon in Portage County Municipal Court.

Judge Barbara Oswick accepted the plea and ordered Chapman to spend three days in jail, pay a $200 fine, 40 hours of community service and must report to adult probation Aug. 2. Judge also issued a no-contact order, which prohibits Chapman from speaking to the victim or her family.

Chapman was convicted of attempted assault on a woman and spent 3 days in jail, but with 87 days of a suspended sentence, one mistake and he’s back in prison. Typically speaking, punishment is determined by the football program. However, given the circumstances (actual jail time, conviction, gender of victim), the decision was pushed all the way to the top.

I want to elaborate on that. If Chapman stays while guys who were never convicted like Drew Carswell and Eric Williams are kicked off the team, it could appear to be favortism. More important is the gender of the victim. If Chapman was convicted of attempted assault on an 18 year old male, this case looks a lot different.

We fired Haywood for allegedly hitting the mother of his child in an argument. While coaches are held to a higher standard (see Petrino, Bobby) than players, attempted assault involving a woman is too controversial. If Chapman stayed, protests would be inevitable. Given the recent black eyes on the program regarding off field issues, the last thing this university needs is a headline that says “Poster Child for Player Arrests Keeps Convicted Woman Beater on Roster.” Would it be entirely factual? No. Does that matter to the media? Nope.

I agree with this decision. This wasn’t just a football program issue; it was a university issue. It’s very evident that ever since the Sports Illustrated cover that the university will not allow the football program to be a public image issue. Losing games is one thing, but they’d much rather be a .500 program with good student athletes than 10-2 and disrupting the university’s academic mission.

There’s very little fallout for 2013. Chapman was almost guaranteed to get a redshirt. The big issue is 2014. As of right now, the depth chart is Voytik, Trey Anderson, and 2 true freshmen. Not good. Expect a JUCO or a senior who has already graduated to transfer in for next season. I’ll do some digging to see what I can find there, but I highly doubt we go into 2014 with that QB depth chart.

It is hard to figure what Pitt should do next to become relevent in FB. Coaching, funds to recruit, better game situation for students, fund raising for facilities, etc. I guess winning some games is a start. Pitt will get more money in the ACC and that money must be spent very carefully to improve the above points in addition to sustaining BB. There are some great companies in the Pittsburgh area and their participation is critical.

Comment by Frank MD 08.25.13 @ 9:40 pm

somehow I knew JoeD would know when the first baseball game was played at 3 Rivers.

However I obviously meant the first professional baseball game.

Still have the beautiful souvenir Game Day Ticket,
btw.

No mention of brick layers vs carpenters, so sorry Joe, you’re wrong again ! haha

Comment by EMel 08.25.13 @ 9:48 pm

And those guys should have been working on the stadium, not playing ball.

No wonder the stadium opening was delayed until July ! lol

Comment by EMel 08.25.13 @ 9:49 pm

Yeah, but Local 86 had a journeyman that could get from home to first in under 3.5 seconds. Hand timed, of course.

Comment by ECH 08.25.13 @ 9:55 pm

Mel Famey was pitching for the brick layers. Before the game, the carpenters got him drunk before the game and he walked seven straight guys in the bottom of the 9th and the carpenters won. When asked after the game what happened out there, the carpenters said “it was the beer that made mel famey walkus.

New on-campus stadium needed.
New AD needed.
For what it is worth, I do like Paul Chryst and feel he will do great things at his next post. Pederson is handcuffing him and he is playing it like a pro. Well done PC, well done!

Comment by dhuffdaddy 08.25.13 @ 9:55 pm

We had Loge Box seats for that game. Loge Box were on the 2nd level as were our Steeler tickets.

No date on the ticket, just ‘Opening Day’ since the workers were playing ball instead of working

Box 220 ….Ticket Cost was $4.15 which included .36 cent City tax and .15 Stadium charge.

Ticket was signed by Pirate President Dan Galbreath.

Comment by EMel 08.25.13 @ 9:58 pm

lmao ECH……no doubt…joe knows

Comment by EMel 08.25.13 @ 9:59 pm

That perked my interest and found this interesting story on Dan Galbreath, who I knew owned Thoroughbred horses but knew little else.

Enjoy

link to sportsillustrated.cnn.com

Comment by EMel 08.25.13 @ 10:12 pm

MariettaMike – true words. As with anything else other than if DW should have been fired, SP, new stadium, etc this will fade with time and as you state the page is being turned.

I guess we’ll have something concrete to talk about in a week and a day.

Comment by Reed 08.26.13 @ 4:08 am

Getting back on Florida State fodder, redshirt freshman Jameis Winston will be the starting quarterback against Pitt one week from today. I see Pitt’s defense giving Jameis a tough baptism. Of course Pitt will be starting a new QB as well. Opening day for Pitt football should be very interesting. Lets go Pitt!

Comment by MariettaMike 08.26.13 @ 5:21 am

I agree with the decision but it will hurt after this year. I really worry about how Pitt will compete over the next 2-3 years. I just dont see it but I am hoping they will! H2P!!!

Comment by Shawn 08.26.13 @ 8:38 am

Tony In Houston, I am 61 and concede I have witnessed the only National Champion football team at Pitt these eyes will get to see. I pray for our hoops team but it isn’t working out too well either.

Comment by spiritofsection 22 08.26.13 @ 10:50 am

Upittbaseball, Dixon has more character than Calipari and Petino put together. He has less to work with and competes well with both, yet runs a clean program. They have had more year end success but are not without their flaws and for that matter odors.

Comment by spiritofsection 22 08.26.13 @ 10:58 am

Spirit – They have rings Jamie has March failures. I’d take the rings.

Comment by Upittbaseball 08.26.13 @ 1:33 pm

Upittbaseball, Paterno and Sandusky had rings too. That isn’t all that matters and Calipari has left a stink behind everywhere he has been. Petino struggles to beat Dixon with better talent. Your assessment though true overates both of them and demeans Dixon. Talk to Tennessee or UMass fans and ask them who the better coach is. Don’t overlook the mess these two have left behind due to a lack of integrity. Dixon might not be the best coach come March but he has been more successful here than anyone and is straight up. Rings are great but character, morals and honesty aren’t the worst traits. Neither of your guys qualify for a ring in those departments. If Dixon ever gets one he won’t have to leave the school the next year to avoid sanctions or abort any babies to keep his wife from finding out. Titles are great, so is winning games with some semblance of honor. We will never agree here so let’s just agree to disagree. I don’t have much respect for either of your guys but they do win a lot at basketball. I prefer Dixon.

Comment by spiritofsection 22 08.26.13 @ 4:07 pm

My guys??? I don’t give two shits about them. My point is they win. When most people win people always say yeah but they are cheaters and lack a moral compass. In this situation you are correct. Both guys are shitheads. Dixon is a great guy and leader and coach. My problem is he underachieves in March. I like Character especially at a leadership level. I’m saying that you can do both!!!! You can be a hell of a leader, not cheat and still win. Why doesn’t do it???? AS far as my comment about the rings it is to say you can have both. Dixon is paid more than enough money to have both character and produce rings. We don’t disagree. I agree 100%. I just want us to win and not blame those who do as cheaters. Have a good night bud. I think we are the only 2 still reading this post. LOL

Comment by Upittbaseball 08.26.13 @ 4:47 pm

upittbaseball, You are right about us being last and taklkin’ hoops on the football side to boot.

Comment by spiritofsection 22 08.26.13 @ 5:15 pm