June 6, 2013

Pitt was already scheduled to play in Brooklyn on November 25 and 26 as part of the Legends Classic. Now Pitt will add a trip to Madison Square Garden.

The University of Pittsburgh basketball team will play Cincinnati as part of the 2013 Jimmy V Classic doubleheader scheduled for Tuesday, December 17 at New York’s Madison Square Garden, ESPN announced on Wednesday. The Pitt-Cincinnati contest will be played at 7 p.m. ET as part of a doubleheader that will be followed by a Florida-Memphis matchup at 9 p.m. ET. Both contests will be televised on ESPN.

In a way it is something of a coup for the newly named American to stick two teams in this situation. Especially in Madison Square Garden where the basketball-centric Big East still considers it their Tournament home.

It will be more than a little odd to play Cinci in a non-con game. After this many years of seeing them regularly. Probably has a shot to be a topic of conversation leading up to and during the game. Definitely one that will help the non-con strength of schedule.

Pitt’s non-con now has three neutral site games. Plus the City game at the Con. There is the Big Ten/ACC Challenge that has Penn State coming to the Pete. Presumably there will be a game against Robert Morris. The Legends Classic also has two games slated played at the Pete —  teams unknown — to be played the week before the trip to Brooklyn. That leaves maybe 4 or 5 games left for the non-con.

I doubt there will be a marquee home-and-home that is in the mix of those remaining non-cons. Not with the turnover of the roster, so many question marks about the team and heading into the ACC for the first year.

HERE is what i dont get they said whrn ND came to
the ACC we would get better bowls then we had
well last year we had the music city bowl all to our selves now we share it with the big 10
yes we got the gator bowl back but only foe 3 years the outher 3 years it goes to big 10.
last year we had 8 bowls this year only 6 with
the posiblity of 3 moore maybe.
and i dont think the detroit is a better bowl or that the pinstripe a better bowl.
but evey thing is not done yet but so far i dont think ND has helped much. do you ?

Comment by FRANKCAN 06.08.13 @ 12:50 pm

just in case i have not made my self clear i am thaking abought the new ACC BOWL LINE UP FOR 2014
THRU 2019 not the bowls we will playin this year
i am sure chas will post abought this soon.
the new 6 year contract will be signed soon.
the old contract is up this year.

Comment by FRANKCAN 06.08.13 @ 1:23 pm

came on men this is a good thing to talk abought the ACC bowl line up for the next 6 years starting 2014.
if chas posted this is are next bowl line up for the next 6 years you would be all over it come on this is a great subject.
what the hell is wrong with you come on input
lets go.

Comment by FRANKCAN 06.08.13 @ 1:40 pm

ok be that way it was a good subject .

ALL RIGHT TRY THIS.
they are saying that the new AAC will put as many teams into the next NCAA basket ball tournament
as the new Big East 4 teams each.
and that the ACC will get 8 bids
i know it is some time away but that is a good
subject on a slow day and yes they think pitt
will be one of the 8 to get a bid.

Comment by FRANKCAN 06.08.13 @ 2:10 pm

I’ll bite. So, guessing it’s Cinci, UCONN, Louisville, and Memphis for the upcoming year? After Louisville leaves, I don’t see 4.

Comment by panther94 06.08.13 @ 5:19 pm

panther94 yes you got it but the point that i found
interesting is that the new big east is no better
than the AAC in basketball.
both conferences are top heavy with just 3 or 4 good teams.
they are abought equal in basketball at this time they think SMU with larry brown as a coach is a up
and comeing team.

i think it is funny the big east left to be basketball only and they are no better in basketball then there brothers who want to be known for football.

Comment by FRANKCAN 06.08.13 @ 5:30 pm

FRANKCAM, PSU just go another commit

Rev George, the point I was trying to make earlier was that Pitt alums should not forget that no matter how bad their teams may look at times, they are part of a great academic organization and should never put that below in importance to what’s going on in the athletics

Comment by wbb 06.08.13 @ 6:00 pm

Frankcan, yes that is definitely irony (or karma) biting them in the ass.

Comment by panther94 06.08.13 @ 6:05 pm

Pinstripe Bowl is a very good deal for the ACC. It’s all about exposure. What better place for a low level bowl game than the Big Apple vs a Big 10 team? Count me among those that think NYC is a fantastic place to visit in December.

Comment by HbgFrank 06.08.13 @ 6:06 pm

I’m with Frankcan…You can have NYC or Detroit. You want to go where it’s warm and a vacation and involves good temps. Florida or California. That game in NYC as far as exposure is concerned is a joke. Nobody watches that shitty bowl. I was at the bar and no one was watching it.

Comment by Upittbaseball 06.08.13 @ 6:36 pm

Pinstripe bowl was the 11th ranked bowl as far as ratings…if you take out the BCS games and New Years day games only the Peach and Alamo had better ratings so as far as Bowl games, the Pinstripe is being watched and is very good for exposure for ACC. Any of the conferences would like to have a spot in that game.

Plus, NYC is always going to attract people to fill the stands.

Comment by milobloom 06.08.13 @ 7:00 pm

I will take a trip to NYC during Christmas season any day before a trip to Birmingham

well, Pitt may not have any FB or Basketball players drafted, but ….
link to triblive.com

Comment by wbb 06.08.13 @ 7:07 pm

a couple things there is a vote on rule changes
in college BB that will take some of the defence
out of BB with the hope of speeding up the game
it will take a lot of what the defence can do out of the game.
they want more points a more offence game read
this and weep dixon.

UPITTBASEBALL thank you if they want to go to ny
and freeze go.
but i bet the players think like you what kind
of reward for a good season is it to play out side
in the freezeing snow.

i am glad some of you want to talk abought the ACC bowls for 2014 till 2019 i think it is very intresting

and we now know 6 of the 9 that we will have enough to have a good talk but i dont see that ND helped us move up in the bowls.

this is what some one said on a virgina tec site
the opponents for the bowls are better but the
over all bowls are worse.
if you look at the list for this year and match it up with 2014 to 19 i think they are right.
plus if we dont get 3 more bowls we will have less of them then last year.

Comment by FRANKCAN 06.08.13 @ 7:13 pm

Wbb thanks for the info that makes 11 i am going to check on that now.
i never said it the ny bowl had bad ratings on tv
i just said freezeing in the snow is not my idea of a good bowl game here is what was said on virgina tec site abought the detroit bowl game
detroit looks like berlin after world wae 2 who would want to go there plus it is freezeing in detroit iin december.

Comment by FRANKCAN 06.08.13 @ 7:22 pm

Wbb yes they just picked up a 4 star wr they can
only sign 4 more i guess they will have there
full class before we get are second commit.
thank you Wbb for telling me i would have missed it till the am outher wise.

Comment by FRANKCAN 06.08.13 @ 7:28 pm

panther94 did you see are you on line 11 allready
4 more and they are done.
they can only have 15 this year.

Comment by FRANKCAN 06.08.13 @ 7:49 pm

Who said anything about Birmingham? I’m talking Florida, California, Arizona or even Texas at Jerry’s house. Bowl games and Super Bowls in less than 60 degree weather are not my idea of a good time.

Comment by Upittbaseball 06.08.13 @ 10:34 pm

I know FrankCan…depressing. I mean, if we can’t out-recruit now, then when?

Comment by panther94 06.08.13 @ 11:18 pm

Upittbb, I think it’s a joke that the NFL has NFC and AFC playoff sites in the middle of January at places like Green Bay, Pgh, New England, NYC, Balt, etc … and then all of sudden, has the game in pristine conditions.

The last 3 SBs included SF, Balt, NE, NYG, Green Bay and Pgh all cold weather areas with the POSSIBLE exception of SF …. what’s the point of playing in Miami or a dome?

I’ll answer …. The point is that the SB is an event and not a game where the primary issue is making $$$$ and not crowning a winner.

Comment by wbb 06.09.13 @ 5:55 am

Apparently the PSU FB coach is a very good coach and that is the main reason they are recruiting well.

Will he stay after next year?

Comment by Frank MD 06.09.13 @ 8:51 am

Pitt has put the offers out there but no one is taking them. It is nice to be in the top 3 unless you are 2nd or 3rd. Lets see if onyone commits after this weekend. would like to get 2 or 3.

Comment by JP 06.09.13 @ 9:50 am

Wbb, did you just come to this realization. You go to cities like Miami, Phoenix, New Orleans because the cities have much to do the entire week for the fans coming in and they can walk around and enjoy the location. Try that in the North and February and let me know how that works out buddy. It’s a event just like major bowl games. There are festivities, Etc. surrounding the game.

Comment by Upittbaseball 06.09.13 @ 9:59 am

Did anyone commit this weekend?
It’s 1st weekend of prospect camp.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 06.09.13 @ 10:35 am

Upitt, I believe that the Super Bowl will be played at the Meadowlands this year or next. Football is, in most cities, an outdoor sport that works best in colder climates for me. In fact being at a game when it is sunny and 85 degrees is murder for me. I’d much rather be at a cold weather game. You can always dress warm enough for a cold game, but when it is hot you just sit there boiling in your own sweat.

Comment by HbgFrank 06.09.13 @ 11:10 am

Frank it feb it isn’t 85 in Phoenix or Miami. It’s 65 at game time. It’s all ones choice but I’d never go watch a bowl game or SB in less than 55 degrees. The SB in NYC is just asinine. My opinion of course. Snow, ice, travel, too cold to be outside, etc. the way the steelers and pitt look I don’t think we need to worry about either for awhile,

Comment by Upittbaseball 06.09.13 @ 12:20 pm

Rev. George, Great sense of humor! They must line up outside the church when you are preaching. Of course in Columbus they might be lined up with pitchforks and torches!

Comment by OPFIM 06.09.13 @ 4:21 pm

Doesn’t look like any commits the 1st weekend of prospect camp.
If Pitt doesn’t have 5 commits by June 17, then one can assume it will be another MAC-like class.
I have no clue how he will win 8 games in 2014 to save his job with what he is recruiting.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 06.09.13 @ 4:24 pm

SINCE WHEN IS 85 DEG FOOTBALL WEATHER??

Shame on all of you!

Comment by wbb 06.09.13 @ 4:45 pm

Wbb, when you pay 3k a ticket and you have a family that wants to enjoy the area. Not run store to store just to warm up. Whoever said 85 has never been in miami in Feb. its 72 as a high and 60 as a low. You can have cold snow and ice.

Comment by Upittbaseball 06.09.13 @ 8:03 pm

when you pay 3k for a ticket, you’re an idiot

Comment by wbb 06.09.13 @ 8:22 pm

I AM PULLING FOR PAUL CHRYST TO DO WELL. HE SEEMS LIKE A GOOD GUY. BUT NO MATTER HOW GOOD A COACH HE MIGHT BE, IF HE DOESN’T HAVE THE PLAYERS IT IS NOT GOING TO WORK. I AM STARTING TO THINK YOU HAVE TO HAVE A USED CAR SALESMAN PERSONALITY TO RECRUIT THESE DAY’S. LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH TO RECRUITS AND TELL THEM ANYTHING THEY WANT TO HEAR. I DON’T THINK DIXON OR CHRYST ARE THAT KIND OF COACH. I AM NOT SURE IT IS IN THEIR DNA TO PUT ON THE HARD SELL TO MODERN DAY RECRUITS. TIME WILL TELL.

Comment by Wayne 06.10.13 @ 6:37 am

wayne,
you don’t have to lie to land recruits and you don’t need a used car salesman personality.
However, you do need to have a personality and able to close. Chryst doesn’t know how to close.
Dixon was told by Pederson to bring back Slice. Slice knows how to recruit and close!

But, 1st weekend of prospect camp came and went and no new committs. It’s tough to support this new regime. Without good players, Chryst will not win. He will be gone after next season.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 06.10.13 @ 6:57 am

Don’t you get tired of reading on Scout and Rivals how so and so is high on Pitt after a visit but no one commits. Frustrating at least. could somone close for once!

Comment by JP 06.10.13 @ 7:22 am

JP,
Didn’t you get the memo on Scout and Rivals.
They are only allowed to say positive things about Pitt. Even their forums, they will delete any negative comments or threads.
Chryst has a “grand experiment” regarding how to go about recruiting. No other HC recruits like Chryst.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 06.10.13 @ 7:49 am

Almost all of the recruits immediately after visiting a place will say something positive about it …. whther it be Pitt or anywhere else. They were jut treated very well, saw all the positive things the place offers, and most were told how important they are for if they join on.

Comment by wbb 06.10.13 @ 8:03 am

@ wbb You are absolutely correct. However, in addition, Pitt’s prospect camps seem to provide recruits with an excellent experience so that these comments are probably reasonably sincere ones. I say that based on personal experience from last weekend. one of my nephews attended the Pitt camp on Saturday and his dad and I were along to watch. The nephew thought the camp was terrific and his dad was very impressed and this wasn’t their first camp experience having done a Notre Dame camp last summer as well as a number of others including elite 11 QB camps. They were particularly impressed by how well organized and efficiently run the camp was compared to other camp experiences. And that was in addition to being very well impressed by the South Side practice facilities Pitt shares with the Steelers.

Comment by pitt1972 06.10.13 @ 8:37 am

agree — I know these camps have resulted in commits in the past. If not, maybe someone should do an exit survey.

Comment by wbb 06.10.13 @ 8:50 am

Wbb – I don’t fault anyone for spending 3k on Super Bowl tickets if they have the money. You can sit in your Mom’s basement and watch the game if you prefer.

Comment by Upittbaseball 06.10.13 @ 9:19 am

wbb,
Not to stir the pot, but everyone was saying wait until after camps when comparing number of Pitt commits versus PSU, Rutgers, etc.
Frankly, I’m not holding my breath.
If Pitt doesn’t have 5 commits by June 17, then it would be time to be highly concerned. Pitt will probably give out 20 scholarships knowing a few current players will leave the program.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 06.10.13 @ 9:20 am

Interesting graph on recruits at other schools.

link to insider.espn.go.com

Comment by Frank MD 06.10.13 @ 9:38 am

I repeat, if you pay 3k for a ticket, you’re an idiot .. rich or not! just provides justification for taxing the rich!

FWIW, I did attend a Super bowl — 1st one Steelers were at in New Orleans in Jan 1975. It was at old Tulane Stadium .. what a dump! Pitt Stadium with an upper deck. I sat in that upper deck an my ticket price was $20 (not making that up!)

Comment by wbb 06.10.13 @ 10:19 am

Upittbb, if I was rich, I’d have at least a hundred better places to go than a Super Bowl. Commercialized Bunch of Fluff!!

Comment by wbb 06.10.13 @ 10:22 am

Webb I agree but I don’t fault others for going. My wife and I had 5k in cash when the steelers played the Packers and couldn’t smell a ticket so we went home.

Comment by Upittbaseball 06.10.13 @ 12:01 pm

I’d rather be in Bermuda watching (maybe) the Super Bowl at a great Hotel Beach bar. If I remembered it was even on.

Call me strange.