May 13, 2013

Unsurprising Transfers

Filed under: Football,Transfer — Chas @ 7:39 am

Hope everyone had a good weekend and did something nice for their mom, grandma and/or mother of your child (children). We were down at the in-laws. Where there is no wi-fi and a poor internet connection.

On Sunday it finally became official that Deaysean Rippy was transferring from Pitt.

Rippy said he wasn’t totally sure about Pitt when he signed his letter of intent in February 2012.

“I was on the verge of being sure,” he said. “I was kind of overwhelmed. I was an 18-year-old kid at the time. That’s a lot of pressure.”

Rippy said he’s unsure where he will enroll this year, but he said he has been in contact with some Pac-12 schools, including Colorado.

And now he’s past the verge of being sure he wants to be somewhere else.

His transfer has been rumored/in the works for weeks. Making it a non-surprise. This post from Jerry DiPaola last month made it clear that while Rippy may have been torn on his choice of college, his family really wanted him to stay close.

When I heard several weeks ago that Rippy might transfer, the first thought that crossed my mind turned to monkey bread, the sweet, gooey pastry Rippy’s grandmother Marian Rowe served for Pitt coach Paul Chryst when he visited their home prior to signing day last year.

Rowe, I’m sure, doesn’t bake monkey bread for just anyone. But Chryst was special in her eyes. She called it the “wow” factor, and she believed the coach had her grandson’s best interests at heart.

She was right, but the coach/player relationship in college athletics is more complicated that just treating a player right. It’s never easy to keep players happy, especially those who are looking at a second consecutive season of inactivity.

Hate losing potential talent like Rippy. And make no mistake, he has potential. But the questions that dogged him out of high school regarding his motor and desire are only louder after redshirting and failing to have any impact in the spring.

For Rippy, maybe getting further away from family. From a comfortable place will be what he needs.

As for the Davis twins, Chris and Demitrious, their departures were also unsurprising.

Both were recruited by former coach Todd Graham, but signed as a part of Paul Chryst’s first recruiting class in 2012. These Austintown, Ohio, natives both started as receivers, but eventually changed positions. Demitrious moved to running back in 2012, and Chris transitioned to defensive back in the spring.

And both did not appear close to making it on the field for at least another year. The Davis twins simply were not a fit. They wanted to be in, and were built for a standard spread offense where they can do something in space. They were not big receivers. Hence their position switching.

As for the reason for why all three waited this long. Well, this is just my opinion based on the timing (especially with Rippy given how long it has been reported that he’s leaving), but I’m guessing they were waiting to get their second semester grades to be sure they would be academically eligible to transfer.

There are still more transfers rumored, but these three put Pitt below the 85 scholarship limit heading into the 2013 season.

Does anyone know, how many players left the program in 2012?
I know 7 so far in 2013.
Good thing Chryst over-recruited this year by 5. Now he has 2 scholarships to hand out to walkons.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.13.13 @ 8:06 am

*********
Personally will be happy when all of the malcontents, misfits
(in terms of player who don’t fit the new scheme), drug dealers, and over hyped 3/4 star players are out of the system.
The 2014 recruiting class is very important next step.

Comment by JR 05.13.13 @ 8:28 am

Toad Graham really left us with a steaming pile.

Comment by Coach Ditka 05.13.13 @ 9:23 am

Ditka, you can say that about the 2011 class which was a “last minute” class. I believe half of that class is gone.
However, the most recent 5 who transfer (Davis twins, Shell, Jackson, Rippy) are from the 2012 class which is Chryst’s 1st class.
Perhaps this is the “new normal” in football with transfers.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.13.13 @ 9:40 am

It may have been Chryst’s first class but remember those were primarily Toad’s recruits and Chryst basically honored all of those scholarships – which was the right thing to do but probably not the best thing for the program.

Comment by Coach Ditka 05.13.13 @ 9:44 am

Ditka, Perhaps you can say that about the Davis twins but not the others. However, Jackson and Rippy committed to Chryst in January and were pursued by Chryst. I’m sure Chryst would have pursued Shell also.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.13.13 @ 9:56 am

Shell would have been pursued by Walt, Wanny, Toad and Chryst .. and would have probably transferred out of any of the four since I believe his issues were (1) he didn’t want to practice and (2) he wanted to get away from Wester PA

Comment by wbb 05.13.13 @ 10:45 am

Football is getting to be like basketball.

If you aren’t placated to, don’t won’t to work hard and have a feeling of entitlement coming in…..

You transfer.

Go figure.

Comment by EMel 05.13.13 @ 11:10 am

To all those kids turning their backs to Pitt: don’t let the door kick your behind. I want Pitt people to play for Pitt not “me” people. Good riddance. H2P!

Comment by MariettaMike 05.13.13 @ 11:48 am

Right on who needs 4 star LB or two 3 star WR
As pittdan83 says we can now give scholarship
to walk on yes we will give the scholarships to walk ons that will make us a better team.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.13.13 @ 12:04 pm

In my memory I can’t think of one transfer who left Pitt and went on to great things. The guard Alleman not sure of spelling who left and developed into a good guard under Walt. Everyone of these recruits are replaceable and probably by a recruit who fits what HCPC wants.

Comment by chethejet 05.13.13 @ 12:24 pm

Transfers are guys that don’t want to be here, can’t play here or both…and the reason anyone wants them to stay is…..
it is not as if Rippy tested the waters at Pitt, but Pitt has invested time and money on him and before we get into the debate on this topic, my position is that Pitt has every right to veto certain schools if it likes. Pitt invested recruiting money and time, coaching money and time, academic support money and time and room, board and tuition….plus, it did not offer and thus coud not accept at least one person because of the spot Rippy or someone like him occupies.
i wish him luck, but Pitt has interests to protect too.

Comment by sfpitt 05.13.13 @ 12:42 pm

PSU is now up to 9 committs…
Pitt still has 1…
Don’t shoot the messanger.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.13.13 @ 1:51 pm

Pitt.Dan83 – I guess the good news is that State Penn soon will run out of scholarships to give. Giving Pitt a better chance at the less desirables!!!

I am surprised that with limited scholarships they are recruiting/taking 4 WR’s.

Comment by winedogs 05.13.13 @ 2:06 pm

chethejet, 2 words: Joe Flacco

Comment by wbb 05.13.13 @ 2:13 pm

Allerman transferred to Akron and was drafted. Tommi Campbell went to Cal U and is still in NFL. And then there was a 6’8 OL from an area suburb school who left Pitt a few years ago for IUP, and actually was on Steeler practice squad for a shorttime (forgot his name)

Comment by wbb 05.13.13 @ 2:36 pm

I am ready to see a few signings. I would love to see QB Chryst sign then have that influence Grimm and McKenzie. Even a Boxen or J Fields signing would be nice. Please HCPC give us something to help lessen the pain…..

Comment by Rex 05.13.13 @ 2:39 pm

Recruits are playing wait-and-see…

Comment by Atlanta Panther 05.13.13 @ 3:01 pm

PC waits til he sees the kids perform at Pitt camps. Anyone know when the camps are scheduled? I thought they were this time of year.

Comment by notrocketscience 05.13.13 @ 3:42 pm

It would be nice if Joe Flacco was a Pitt Alumni which he wanted to be … and would have been… if it wasn’t for all the WPA “good ol’ boy” back slapping, nod, winking that prioritized players with connections over the kid with the NFL talent.

The kids that are leaving now are not leaving because the kids in front of them are ahead of them because of politics or other factors. These kids just don’t fit into the system and are too far down the depth chart for a reason, or academics, etc.

Calm and Steady describes well the HC and new administration… and the style/philosophy of his football fits us well.

We will be pleasantly surprised with the 2013 season.

… now see why Fraud ran… sprinted… hair on fire speed out of this town. between what he inherited and what he recruited it was one steaming pile…

we have the right guy to clean it up.

Comment by Pittscript 05.13.13 @ 3:45 pm

Palko > Flacco at the time. Incumbent – highly recruited. Flacco was raw and did want to take the chance of sitting behind Palko for his entire career. Reality is that Flacco probably would have competed the next spring for the spot because Palko had peaked.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 05.13.13 @ 3:55 pm

@ Pitt.Dan83 — Pitt can’t compete with the likes of Penn State for highly rated high schoolers. That does not say Pitt can’t be competetive because they can. It will take several decent winning seasons for Pitt football to get to the next level. And if they don’t measure up, we’ll still be Pitt fans only commiserating over our Iron City beer and wining on the Pitt Blather. :-) H2P!

Comment by MariettaMike 05.13.13 @ 4:03 pm

I’m 64 years old and I can assure you fellow Pitt FB fans that it takes patience for this turn around. It’s been 30+ years so far and I’ve heard that another 3-5 years should do the trick…many times as a matter of fact…

Comment by Jackagain 05.13.13 @ 4:29 pm

Pitt.Dan83 louisville has 13 commits
and boston college 8
PITT has one
and bye the way 2 of penn states 9 commits were
players we wanted and had offered.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.13.13 @ 5:00 pm

Pitt must have a very strong and deep group of
DT on team .
i say that becuse i have checked there offers
and they have offered only one DT.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.13.13 @ 5:12 pm

Just my humble opinion, but at this point in time in Pitt football, if a player is sooooo far down on Pitt’s depth chart that he feels that he HAS to transfer to get the opportunity to see the field, then that player is of no use to Pitt in any case. Why? because Pitt CURRENTLY is so thin at most positions that if you can’t make an impression on the coaching staff at this point, then my friend, you just ain’t got what it takes to play Div 1 football in the first place, just IMO, that is.

Comment by Dr. Tom 05.13.13 @ 5:34 pm

winedog,
I must say, I’m impressed with PSU O’Brien’s recruiting efforts in the face of sanctions. Who would have thought?
Obviously Chryst’s recruiting strategy of Not Selling is Not working.
link to pittsburgh.rivals.com

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.13.13 @ 5:47 pm

Frankcan, any word about Ali?

Comment by panther94 05.13.13 @ 7:13 pm

panther94 nothing from any one so i think the
info on pitt247 was wrong i dont think they
came.
dont know why 247 would post bad info but they must
have

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.13.13 @ 7:31 pm

Ok, thanks for the update. Was just wondering because time is running out.

Comment by panther94 05.13.13 @ 7:35 pm

Reallly lets keep the ped state talk out of the board .. Pitt has a very bright future. .

Comment by 63 Team 05.13.13 @ 7:39 pm

Mike Chalinsky went to UCLA and had a decent pro career if memory is correct.

Penn State has 4 WR’s. That doesn’t bode well for the Mt. Lebanon fellar. I expect that one to change if/when we get a solid qb to commit.

The OLB from TJ is in the same spot. His two final choices area with big programs where the depth chart will be an issue. Can’t figure this out at times. Sure, I want them to go to Pitt, but at the end of the day, I want them to be successful and see the field. If you don’t see the field early, you get passed up quickly. Go through the draft and see the number of players drafted that only saw the field their senior years. Then do it for those that only saw it from junior and senior years. To go where there is depth is sometimes not good! You got to play to win!

Comment by dhuffdaddy 05.13.13 @ 7:40 pm

Off the subject — GA Tech hosts Pitt November 2 at historic Bobby Dodd stadium which is Tech’s homecoming weekend. This will be a big weekend for me having attended both schools. I’ll be cheering for Pitt surrounded by my fellow Techoid alumn’s. Let’s go Pitt! :-)

Comment by MariettaMike 05.13.13 @ 7:59 pm

My be slice could work part time for chryst
you know recruit some players for chryst becuse he wont or cant.
my be chryst should go to the rick pitino work
shop on recruiting what does EMel say close the
sale before some one else does some thing like that.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.13.13 @ 8:12 pm

FRANKCAN — Can you come again? I didn’t get the gist of your message. Are you insinuating that you can be a Pitt recruiter? Ouch!

Comment by MariettaMike 05.13.13 @ 8:23 pm

NO are you saying that some of us cant have a different idea on how he should recruit.

i guess you have not read what dan has said on here
abought people who want or have different ideas than you.

or what baseball has said
what is wrong with wanting him to be a better sales men for pitt.

but EMel has said dixon should hire him to close
the sales so i guess he could help chryst also.

you all kill me if some one qustions what is going on you have to have a personal attack
on them are you all that thin skined.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.13.13 @ 8:33 pm

I forget chryst can walk om water for some of you he can do no wrong.
we should be boiled in oil for ever thinking he
could do something better then he does .
he is the best recruiter in the world i forgot.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.13.13 @ 8:43 pm

FRANKCAN — Sorry, I re-read your post. I was stumped by “slice.” You are referring to Slice, Pitt’s returning basketball recruiter. Correct? Though a novel suggestion, I think Slice will be kept busy recruiting student athletes for Dixon. Sorry for not interpreting you post on my first read.

Comment by MariettaMike 05.13.13 @ 8:49 pm

MariettaMike that is ok at least you and i care enough to post to night every one else is asleep i guess.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.13.13 @ 9:05 pm

Uh…no one cares more than me. No offense.

Comment by panther94 05.13.13 @ 9:49 pm

Joe Flacco correct. He went to Delaware and had a good college career. My point is many players leave due to playing time, grades, coaching turnover yet very few go on to better things.

Comment by chethejet 05.13.13 @ 11:20 pm

Thanks for that reminder, Chas..
“Hope everyone had a good weekend and did something nice for their… mother of your child (children).”

Nice? I almost had to take my son (age 4.5) out of his mother’s custody this weekend.

I don’t need my kid being the next Ruschel Shell, Deaysean Rippy, or Davis twin, amongst others on the Pitt football team.

I’m looking forward to Father’s Day here on out.
Cheers!

Comment by Neil 05.14.13 @ 12:54 am

Hank Poteat is currently coaching at Pitt.
His cousin, Jamael Poteat (RB), is transferring from Cincy to Stoney Brook. Poteat (out of Bishop McDevitt in Harrisburg) was being recruited by Wanny but then the coaching fiasco.
Did Pitt pursue? Pitt has a need for RB.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.14.13 @ 7:32 am

The Davis kids really weren’t going to see much playing time here except for special teams play. There is nothing wrong about being honest both ways – a player stating that he wants a real shot at a starting position and a HC stating that that shot may best be realized elsewhere.

I was told this was going to happen prior to spring camp by a player’s father so it isn’t a surprise to me.

Frankcan – you’re getting over the top with your critical and knee jerk reactions to anything Chryst does. It is only May and the vast majority of HS recruits haven’t made any decisions yet. It really doesn’t matter how many recruits PSU has or gets, the only thing that matters is who PITT gets on LOI Day.

You act like PITT can’t land any recruits that PSU also wanted and that is just not true at all. Look at our most highly rated recruits over the past and PSU offered almost all of them.

Just last year we got blue chippers Johnson and Boyd who were also offered by PSU. In the 2012 class we landed big time recruits Shell, Holtz, Voytik, and Bisnowaty who all had PSU offers. It goes on and on… You can say they were recruited by Todd Graham but the bottom line is none of them had to sign a LOI with PITT after Graham left if they didn’t want to play for Paul Chryst also.

You tend to cherry pick instances to support your negative posts about Chryst. I think we’d be best served to see what happens in Feb with this 2014 class rather than just assuming it is going to suck as you do. It is the first Chryst-only recruiting class and the first class after all the turmoil of the last three years – which Chryst inherited and none of which was of his making by the way.

I have a lot of unanswered questions about Paul Chryst as a HC as we all do but I can’t think of one actual negative aspect of his hire so far. 2012 wasn’t really a season to form a strong opinion of his coaching IMO as he had virtually none of his own recruits on the roster and inherited not only a lack of real talent and depth on the roster but a huge mess off the field as well. We could have done a lot worse than 6-7 last year I believe so I’ll give him some credit for keeping the program above water in his first year.

Comment by Reed 05.14.13 @ 8:00 am

Dorian Johnson, who was recuted heavily by fellow Belle Vernon alum Rudolph, took a trip to Happy Valley and comitted there before he left. When, and only when, PSU was put on probation, did he de-commit from PSU.

There was a story in the Trib ,either Gorman or DiPaolo, that said that Boyd would have also comitted to PSU had there not have been sanctions.

While I totally agree that Chryst (and staff) cannot be judged fairly for at least 2 more years, at the same time, I can see Frankcan’s concern.

There was awful lot of glee on this site of the latest recruiting class based primarily of what HCPC can do with 2 and 3 star OLs, based on what happened at Wisc .. and hopefully that is the case. But you cannot dispel the lack of experience of our the new DC nor the lack of recruits (and presence) in Florida …. time will tell!

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 8:33 am

Take off the rose color glasses Reed.
The biggest knock on Chryst coming in was recruiting or lack thereof. Clearly it is showing through. It would not surprise me if Pederson steps in and dictates some coaching changes, like he did with Dixon to bring back slice.

2012 was Chryst 1st year in theory. There were at least 4 players he told may not fit into his system and were told to look elsewhere.
2013 was clearly all Chryst. I can’t figure out why you think 2014 is his “1st recruiting year”.

Sorry, but when you look at the scorecard we are in the 3rd inning to use a baseball analogy and Pitt is behind big when compared to other like schools in recruiting. I believe that is the point frank is trying to make.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.14.13 @ 8:35 am

Last two blog posts by Chas and Justin were good for this discussion…

@reed, Thank you! for the nice addition this morning…. so many points well stated.

One that strikes me the most is… yeah, let’s wait for the 2013 season, which is his first real season end to end…

Particularly given everything that has come to light the past few months it is clear this place was a mess for a lot of reasons. Bottom line is Chryst has to clean it up.

Also, I don’t follow college football that much so I was starting to wonder what was up with the alarm bells on the 2014 recruiting class now… spring 2013? Thanks for the perspective.

Chryst either puts an attractive team on the field in 2013 (which means many things, not just W-L), and recruiting will be there… or he doesn’t, then it’s same old, same old.

PSU is going to continue to do well because they have decades of success, great academics, and a good coach (100,000+/game don’t hurt.

However we have a clear window of opportunity to pull even in the next few years if Chryst executes his vision.

More Good news is WVU will no longer be as strong a competitor for recruits given the maaaarvelous B-12 geography and travel. They are done.

Finally, this staff is intriguing with some really good young/pro coaches with some more seasoned folks and a good demeanor… they will pleasantly surprise us come February.

Comment by Pittscript 05.14.13 @ 8:37 am

Reed my point as Pitt Dan83 is just what he said we are behind in recruiting i think it is far to point that out.
but also i was trying to stir the pot becuse
it was a slow night
needed to get people respond.
was looking for some pro and con talk.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.14.13 @ 8:56 am

I think myself and maybe others get a little antsy when PSU and some other schools get a big jump on recruits especially after the recent transfers.

I think Chryst wants to show he can build a good team and he knows what he wants. I guess we need patience.

Comment by Frank MD 05.14.13 @ 9:00 am

Marietta Mike
A bud and I will be at the GT game.
Next year Miami.
And VT is always an option.
I travel.

Comment by Pittkeith 05.14.13 @ 9:01 am

Fire Chryst!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 05.14.13 @ 9:07 am

5 college baseball polls.

Pitt ranked 16,21,23,23,23

Hail to Pitt!!!

Comment by Dan 05.14.13 @ 9:12 am

Chryst will be fine. If he gets any level of consistent play out of Savage or Voytik, this team is going to surprise a lot of people next year. He had his bad moments last year for sure, but that was to be expected in taking over a program in disarray and being a first time head coach. Western PA produces very good football players year in and out. Once the program stabilizes over the next few years and settles into the ACC, the recruits will come.

Comment by Floyd 05.14.13 @ 9:20 am

I really think everyone overreacts to this whole “non-selling” of the program in the recruiting process.

All he means by that is that he isn’t going to nag a player and be up their ass to try to get them to come to school here if they don’t want to be because then their going to cause problems. He is still going to tell them all the good things about PITT like the history, the urban campus, the new conference, PITT’s success getting players into the NFL etc.

Comment by rhyno527 05.14.13 @ 9:47 am

Look what he did with Tino. At best a div 2 QB who beat Rutgers, VTech and 3OT at ND. If you think that is not a good indication of what HCPC can with a real QB who can actually play and execute you are not seeing it. Pitt was lacking in so many areas last year and still for the most part looked very capable a times. It will take some time to fully integrate Pitt into the needed depth and development but it will happen.

Comment by chethejet 05.14.13 @ 9:48 am

I love that Chryst’s biggest recruit is a guy who would have went to PSU if not for the sanctions.

There is no evidence that Chryst knows how to recruit. And spare me the cheer leading type articles about how Wisconsin was successful with lesser recruits. Wisconsin had a system in place before Chryst became the OC. A system lead by a head coach who doesn’t limit himself to hiring only people close to him (see the hiring of Randy Shannon as LB coach) and certainly wouldn’t hire a completely unqualified DC. Wisconsin also had an o-line coach that is now in the NFL. I’m pretty sure having that good of an o-line coach helped cover up for deficiencies in recruiting. Make no mistake, if you have classes full of 2-3 stars you are not doing well in recruiting. Chryst doesn’t choose to have only 2-3 star recruits, that’s what he ends up with. If he knows what he wants, then why did he offer all of those high star guys that he didn’t get last year. Chryst’s recruiting style doesn’t work in college football, which is a cut-throat business.

Comment by Wardapalooza 05.14.13 @ 9:49 am

Who else is rumored/considering a transfer

Comment by DC33 05.14.13 @ 9:50 am

Tino was QB of two bowl teams before Chryst got here, so it’s not like he was completely incompetent. That great coaching of Tino by Chryst didn’t help Tino win more games or actually lead a 4th quarter comeback.

Comment by Wardapalooza 05.14.13 @ 9:55 am

Dan no one said fire chryst behave your self
or are you trying to stair the pot also.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.14.13 @ 9:58 am

Love the Chryst haters who have a side job as Dixon lovers.

And some actually have the nerve to slam Chryst for recruiting.

Hilarious.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.14.13 @ 10:08 am

Ward, you are so bipolar in your views on Dixon and Chryst. You might be Dixon’s biggest defender but Chryst’s biggest critic. One guy has a track record of several years of poor recruiting and misuse of players and the other has been the head coach at Pitt for the long standing tenure of ONE whole year. Let’s not forget he has only ONE year of head coaching experience at a school where the football program was not what one would call in good shape at the time he took over.

Comment by Floyd 05.14.13 @ 10:41 am

Fire Dixon!!!

Comment by Dan 05.14.13 @ 10:47 am

Agree with Wardapalooza’ last segment in his last line.

While we all would love to believe in doing things the ‘right way’, idealistic thoughts of real-student athletes manning all the positions and players that actually believe in the Academic opportunity and the athletic opportunity. In the current culture of big-time college football, that is going to be real tough to happen at Pitt.

PITT isn’t exactly Notre Dame or Stanford and if we keep getting hordes of 2 star players we’ll be more like Navy.

Recruiting in big-time college football is a cut-throat business, which is why PC probably wanted no part of it while he was at Wisconsin.

While he seems to be an upstanding guy and all that, what do they say about ‘nice’ guys.

As for the QB last year, yes he was better statistically than the year before, but the end result was the same as the previous season. Even though last season was Pitt’s weakest schedule ever.

We will hope for the best this season, but we have to sweep New Mexico, Old Dominion, Navy & Duke and either UVA or VPI.

Comment by EMel 05.14.13 @ 10:54 am

LET’S GO, RANGERS!

Comment by steve1 05.14.13 @ 11:00 am

BTW how did the Apke kid from Mt.Lebanon, not verbal to Pitt.

1) His former HS coach (Haering) is at Pitt!

2) His father (Steve) played at Pitt.

Seemed to me this should have been a slam dunk !

Comment by EMel 05.14.13 @ 11:03 am

The failure to win more games with Tino as a quarterback shows the importance of recruiting QBs who have a KNACK of winning and mounting comebacks.

Apparently, something that can’t be coached any more than size and arm strength.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.14.13 @ 11:12 am

Regarding Apke… who knows, it might have simply been the lure of the Penn State campus or a matter of wanting to get away from the city.

The time to panic on Chryst recruiting will only come should Pitt post another breakeven or, let’s hope not, a losing season this fall.

I don’t think that will be the case.

Comment by PittofDreams 05.14.13 @ 11:19 am

Emel,
You could have coached up Tino better than Chryst? I don’t think the point is that Tino was great last year but that Chryst was able to get the most out of him. What he was able to do with Tino was impressive.

Comment by Floyd 05.14.13 @ 11:21 am

@steve1, you smoked em’ last night.

How bout the Leafs, baw haw haw!!!!!! I hate Boston too, but, c’mon, up 4-1 with 14 minutes to go!!!

Comment by Dan 05.14.13 @ 11:35 am

Chryst hasn’t shown he knows how to recruit. I have never said Dixon is a good recruiter. But his recruiting is better than Chryst’s. Lots of people complain about Dixon only getting 3 stars but Chryst barely even gets those. He had 9 2-stars last year. The supposedly talentless basketball team hasn’t had any 2-stars under Dixon according to Rivals. And Dixon has won for 10 years in the best basketball conference in America while Chryst finished 6-7 in a horrible football conference. The equivalent of last years football season in basketball would be a 14-20 season with multiple losses to rent-a-win teams. Excuse me that I trust the guy who always wins more than the guy who has never won. That’s not to say that Chryst can’t win. It’s more he needs to prove something before I start to think the program is headed in the right direction. I’ve even said that I’m not going to judge Chryst until after this year’s recruiting class. But I’m not going to sit around and read on and on about how neat Chryst is when he hasn’t proven anything.

Floyd, did Tino really improve that much? Compare his numbers in the two years he was in a offense suited to his style of QB:
64.5 completion percentage, 2500 yards, 16 TDs, 9 INTs vs.
65.1 completion percentage, 3100 yards, 21 TDs, 3 INTs.
That’s not a huge difference in my book especially since comparing first year starter to senior.

Comment by Wardapalooza 05.14.13 @ 11:43 am

@ fLOYD

Yes I would have coached him up real good.

On the Pines !!

Comment by EMel 05.14.13 @ 11:49 am

@ WArd

Factor in Gardner Webb and Temple. Instead of Utah & Wvu.

Wallah you have the extra 600 yards of mostly meaningless yardage between the 30’s.

Comment by EMel 05.14.13 @ 11:52 am

the big differences is that he won 8 games in his 1st year, and only 6 in his 3rd year .. and against a harder schedule.

There are no Chryst haters here … just us Chryst cynics (hoping like hell we are wrong)

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 11:54 am

Ward,
You only recruit three or four players each year in basketball. Dixon has only had one four star player in the last five years I believe (James Robinson) in spite of the program being firmly established in what has been the best basketball conference for the past decade. Most would have considered Pitt a top twenty caliber program (the last two years notwithstanding). I don’t think we have recruited to the level we should have based on this.
I think you are wrong in saying that Tino did not improve. I think the numbers you posted reflect this especially when you consider the weapons he had when he was the quarterback the first year. What didn’t improve was his composure when the game was tight in the fourth quarter. Not sure Chryst can be blamed for that.

Comment by Floyd 05.14.13 @ 12:01 pm

If memory serves .. Tino, as a soph, had a higher QB rating in the 4th quarter than any other quarter

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 12:04 pm

Situation G Att Comp Pct. Yards TD Int Rating Long 1st 15+ 25+
All Plays 13 346 223 64.5 2557 16 9 136.59 79 118 54 18
1st Half 13 194 122 62.9 1238 6 6 120.51 79 59 23 7
2nd Half/OT 13 152 101 66.4 1319 10 3 157.11 61 59 31 11
1st Quarter 13 95 62 65.3 609 4 4 124.59 79 29 9 3
2nd Quarter 13 99 60 60.6 629 2 2 116.61 46 30 14 4
3rd Quarter 13 86 59 68.6 736 4 2 151.20 56 35 17 7
4th Quarter 12 65 42 64.6 583 6 0 170.42 61 24 14 4

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 12:10 pm

If memory serves me, Tino has always been prone to mistakes especially in close games.

Comment by Floyd 05.14.13 @ 12:12 pm

yet in his soph year, he had 0 Ints and 6 Tds in 4th qtr (more TDs than any other quarter)

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 12:20 pm

Reed blasted me on what i said abought chryst and
his recruiting.
but do you know how i know i was not 100 percent
wrong in what i said it is becuse of Wbb.
Wbb is the one person on here who does not take
sidea he just calls it as he sees it he is all ways
fair.
and Wbb wrote this i can see frankcans concern.
and that is what it was a concern.

the only thing i can remmber Wbb being wrong abought is Tino had to do that Wbb sorry.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.14.13 @ 12:24 pm

Wbb,
Interesting stats regarding Tino’s fourth quarter production as a sophomore. Not to take anything away from Tino, but I think the majority of those TD’s were in games not close and throws to Jonathan Baldwin. I think Tino would have really benefited having a receiver like Baldwin last year.

Comment by Floyd 05.14.13 @ 12:39 pm

Frankcan, I am admittedly an overprotector of a QB who I thought was not only thrown under the bus by his coach but by most on this site, who at the time, was totally in love with the (fraudulant) coach. It should have been obvious that Tino and the entire offense were not meant to play this high octane style, yet it all came down on the QB. The QB who, in my career as a fan, has taken more vicious shots thany any other QB I’veever seen, and then picked himself up and walked (or limped) back to the huddle.

He deserves criticsm for his lack of clutch play but the shots taken at him ,especially in his jr year, were ludicrous.

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 12:42 pm

.. but the shots taken at him (both off and on the filed) were ludicrous

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 12:44 pm

You are absolutely right about Tino’s physical toughness. The kid did take some vicious hits in his time at Pitt and got up every time.

Comment by Floyd 05.14.13 @ 12:47 pm

Fire Dan !!!!

Comment by Dr. Tom 05.14.13 @ 12:54 pm

this last exchange wbb to Franckan again shows how Chryst has class… and is a smart coach. He could have thrown the T. under the bus but did not. was positive and worked with him as best he could… clearly everyone that knew anything knew last year was going to be tough (and we all… now… know why as per last month).

It’s always easy to be constantly negative because after all success and excellence are only for the few… so if I am always negative I have the odds in my favor.

Amazing how the guy is here for 1 season after a crazy 3 years and some people… some, are totally negative.

we will know how well PC is a a recruiter in 2-3 years when we see how his recruits did… to make a categorical statement positive or negative now is premature.

Amazing how we all hate Fraud for the snake oil approach, and now criticize PC for not “selling” the program enough. Yeah, the problem with PC is he does not promote himself enough, put up billboards with his slogans, and run around looking for the next camera op to stick his face in…

… everyone that claims he can’t talk or communicate has not watch the Pitt videos of him and interacting with the players…

And Dorian was a 5 star recruit, along with some 4s (Boyd, Voytik,etc..)… and the bottom line is they are not at Ohio State, where the God Like, Uber recruit resides on his cloud/pedestal beckoning them…. they are here at Pitt.

Oh, and my 19yr twins just went to college… far away… they love the east end/city where they grew up… but hey, not everyone wants to spend their entire young life between the 3 rivers….

Comment by Pittscript 05.14.13 @ 1:01 pm

oh, and that last statement was not directed at Franckan… just to be clear.

Comment by Pittscript 05.14.13 @ 1:02 pm

Paul Chryst is an easy guy to route for; his predecessor IMO was not.

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 1:09 pm

‘root’ not ‘route’

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 1:09 pm

Wbb i know and you have all ways made good points
abought him . and once more you are just being fair
that is what i like abought you .

but Wbb you know every thing is tino fult
the recruiting the loss of players to penn state
even this cold weather.the fact that peterson
is still the AD all tinos fult.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.14.13 @ 1:09 pm

Dan is a keeper we cant fire Dan.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.14.13 @ 1:16 pm

The Fan just reported that JJ Moore is close to transferring and that JD is helping him look for a school

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 1:26 pm

@Dr. Tom. Hey, like I’ve always said about coaching, in any sport, even the posters get 3 years to show what they can do.

I’ve only been posting for around thr

(slowly backing away from computer)

Comment by Dan 05.14.13 @ 1:34 pm

Wbb do you think jj is being pushed out?
coachs dont help players find a school unless
they are asking the player to leave.
am i off base on that thought.?

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.14.13 @ 2:47 pm

I see the ACC is finally pushing for its own network. Great because they have more population (over 107 million) under their teams than any other conference. Plus they have year round interest through FB, BB and baseball, not to mention ND in the NE.

Comment by Frank MD 05.14.13 @ 3:16 pm

Do you think that the success of the program also has to deal with Early Enrollees? This is the first time in a while that I remember Pitt getting at least one early commit, let alone a few? More time in the playbook, reps, and just having the gym and meal routine in place for another 8 months would do wonders for a programs depth chart. Chryst’s approach could possibly set us up to have more early enrollees?

Comment by tedsptman 05.14.13 @ 4:11 pm

Wbb what you posted is 100 percent on the ball
JJ is leaveing and dixon is helping him find a school.
so that means we have room for 3 more players right

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.14.13 @ 6:13 pm

2 more if you count Kane — 13 schollies:

Uchebo, Talib, Young, Artis, Johnson, Patterson, Kane, Jones, Newkrk, Wright, Robinson
plus Nwanwo (academic schollie)

did I miss anyone?

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 6:37 pm

Frank, with JJ leaving, Pitt will have 2 scholarships available to give out.

Comment by Pitt.Dan83 05.14.13 @ 6:37 pm

I don’t see why JJ would be pushed out … all of a sudden Pitt is low on experience

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 6:40 pm

Pitt and Kent Sate tied at 5-5 in the 7th.

link to cstv.com

Comment by Pantherman 05.14.13 @ 6:57 pm

but if we dont count kane it is 3 and there
is no offical notice on kane yet.
thanks that is what i thought.

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.14.13 @ 7:42 pm

I’m with Stevie on this one …. as long as it’s home and away

link to cbssports.com

Comment by wbb 05.14.13 @ 8:23 pm

Chryst and Co. will be fine. A 2star junior recruit can be a 4 star post season senior recruit. It’s all about evaluating talent and I prefer Coach Chrysts methodology versus an “analyst” that hasn’t coached a day on the big field.

Would I prefer a stable of 5 star recruits, sure? He is setting up for another 20+ scholarship year, which is good. Let’s see where we are after year four which will be the redshirt junior year for his first class. We’ve waited impatiently for the last thirty, why not four more.

Steve Pederson, go sit in the corner.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 05.14.13 @ 8:49 pm

[…] the recent departures of Rippy and the Davis twins, the football team was under 85 scholarships. They wasted no time when they rewarded 5th year […]

Desmond Brown is now on scholarship

Comment by FRANKCAN 05.14.13 @ 8:58 pm

You better be productive this year then Dan, can you feel your computer seat warming up a bit?

Comment by Dr. Tom 05.14.13 @ 9:11 pm

Chryst is a OC and doesn’t have the personality or stones to be a HC.

Comment by Upittbaseball 05.14.13 @ 10:08 pm