April 27, 2013

The situation with Khaynin Mosley-Smith, Eric Williams and Drew Carswell, is not as bad as it could be. But it really isn’t good. I won’t be surprised if all three never play again for Pitt. I also won’t be shocked if two of the three get reinstated by the start of camp in August.

To say they made some bad choices is putting it mildly.

Police had been conducting an ongoing investigation in South Oakland and bought 20 stamp bags of heroin for $185 on Thursday night outside a house on Juliet Street from a man identified as Darnell Reed-Young, 22, according to a criminal complaint.

Mosley-Smith, a member of the Pitt football team, told police that he lived there.

When police searched the home early Friday, they found drug packaging material and paraphernalia. Also inside were Pitt players Eric Williams, 20, and Andrew Carswell, 21. Police found a digital scale with white residue in Carswell’s bedroom.

Police charged the three football players by summons with prohibited acts.

Reed-Young admitted selling the heroin to a detective, police said, and all three Pitt players live in the home. He was taken to the Allegheny County Jail and faces several drug-related charges, including possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance.

Do I think the three were shooting up or dealing? No. Do I think they were knowingly allowing someone who was dealing, do it from their place? Yes.

I think Carswell is done. With the scale in his room he is looking at being the most directly tied  to the dealer and his activities. Not simply knowing what the dealer does, but facilitating. He may be looking at only misdemeanor criminal charges, but those direct connections will be the reason he is almost certainly finished as a player on the football team.

As for Williams and Smith it is less clear. How much did they know? Cynically, do they have plausible deniability?

Now it is possible that Carswell falls on his sword for the other two. He might tell Chryst and the administration that it was all his fault. His “friend.” He let the guy use his room. The other two had nothing to do with it. They, at worst, were guilty of not wanting to get Carswell in trouble.

The problem with that is this part from the P-G story.

Once it was confirmed that the drugs purchased tested positive for heroin, the officers obtained a search warrant for the house. They then called for the city SWAT team to help execute it.

Investigators went in about 1:30 Friday morning. A search of the house revealed drug packaging material and paraphernalia in the common areas of the house, the complaint said.

That’s a little harder to explain away assuming “common areas” means what most of us presume it to mean.

There may be more to the story — there usually is — but right now it does look good for the future of the three as being members of the Pitt football team.

EMel jj is gone we are down to what 7 players or 8
i dont count walk ons.
are first year in the ACC IS GONE TO SUCK.
DIXON should bring you in to close on the 3 or 4 recruits he wants. becuse he cant sign them we are so very fucked.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.28.13 @ 8:13 pm

Hey I’m with ya Frankie.

However signing period just started this past Weds so I guess until it gets to be really late in this process, we can’t push the “panic button” yet.

In this current crazy world of college sports who know’s what some of these schools are offering players to sign on the dotted line.

These kids today seem to be dictating the whole process instead of the other way around.

As I posted that ESPN insider article on ‘The Entitlement attitude in AAU basketball’ the other day suggests it does.

And oh yea……we need Slice back ! đŸ™‚

Comment by EMel 04.28.13 @ 8:21 pm

In case you missed the link the other day:

link to insider.espn.go.com

Comment by EMel 04.28.13 @ 8:36 pm

I’m sure it’s exactly the same for football players.

Comment by EMel 04.28.13 @ 8:36 pm

Pitt basketball in shambles no front court.
slice were are you.
dixon earn your money sign some players
before more of them say lets get out of dodge.
if he signs no one we are so fucked.
as some one said all ready to night what the fuck
is gone on.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.28.13 @ 8:43 pm

lol Maybe JD can lobby the NCAA to change the rules.

No shot clock !

We can do the 4 corners again like UNC with Phil Ford.

We’ll be alright, JD is ready to bring in a flotilla of new players.

Comment by EMel 04.28.13 @ 8:49 pm

Thank you SFPitt…the pain seems neverending at times which is why I sometimes go overboard in my reactions to the University that I love, the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates whom I follow passionately.

You cannot overprotect your kid but I have to tell you, I am not naive, but the things I have seen in HS over the years I coached and the years my daughter was in HS and College would scare any parent to death. I swear that I thought my daughter was making most of it up!

Comment by Dan 72 04.28.13 @ 8:50 pm

EMel i will belive it when i see it when they have signed there LOI not before.
if not we will be pulling people out of the zoo to make a team.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.28.13 @ 9:03 pm

I made a veiled reference to Joe Del Sardo the other day.
Read Gormans article in the Trib if you feel sympathy for pushers.

Comment by SFPitt 04.28.13 @ 9:13 pm

Baseball now 32 – 10!

Comment by Pantherman 04.28.13 @ 9:15 pm

Dan72, I have a 10 yr old daughter and your story scares the hell out of me. I know that no matter how hard I try, I could one day face the same trials as you have. You have strengthened my already strong resolve to take every opportunity to speak with my child about the dangers of drugs, especially hardcore drugs like heroin, meth, crack, etc. I wish you and your daughter a bright and healthy future together.

Comment by HbgFrank 04.28.13 @ 9:31 pm

and another one bites the dust.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.28.13 @ 9:52 pm

@Pitt-Cocks fan. Please don’t take it personally.

That is the one I found first.

Believe me, you can find them on every team.

That was my point. I actually found USC because I googled Clemson and stumbled upon a feud!!!

LOL

No offense intended. Google a team with the words “players arrested”.

You will find every one of them, with a few, if not many articles.

And, like I said, not condoning nor defending Pitt, I’m saying there is garbage and crap everywhere, just like society.

My apologies.

Comment by Dan 04.28.13 @ 9:59 pm

@emel, read the article.

Many schools have courses on “how to dress, manners and how to treat women”.

How sad. Really, really sad.

Comment by Dan 04.28.13 @ 10:16 pm

Dan 72, Thanks for sharing. Having worked in mental health (and I still do a little bit) I’m somewhat aware of what is out there. It takes courage to share as you have. I’m guessing that you have before and that it helps you as well as us, something you know far better than I. In any case, thanks man. My wife and I have 2 wonderful grandsons, 7 and 9 that we moved to Maryland for and it always helps to be reminded, what the risks are. We are lucky that our son and daughter in law are strong, loving, smart, committed parents and we are part of a wonderful village of an extended family. But, no one is immune, no one. Thanks again. You’ve done everyone on this blog a service. All the best to you and your daughter. I have a hopeful feeling that things will ultimately work out between you and your daughter.

Comment by OPFIM 04.28.13 @ 10:18 pm

Dan, thanks for sharing and hope your daughter’s journey continues on the straight and narrow. As a parent, I respect you for being a parent and not a friend to her. Well done!

As far as the recruits being wannies, graham’s or PC’s, we should take a lesson from Dan. At some point, the kids were not taught the difference between right and wrong. If parents don’t do it,society will. Parents need to know that they give their kids a better chance at success versus what socety will give them. There are no free passes. Again, well done Dan. This isn’t a head coach problem, but often the head coach needs to provide the solution. Marijuana, not addictive and not a gateway drug. Any other drug, they need to go away from football. Give each an opportunity of rehab, without football. Require drug testing monthly until graduation. Fail another drug test and you are out of school completely under the “student conduct code”.Sorry and welcome to adulthood,

As far as Pederson is concerned, he needs to go. He leads the programs. All of them. Does he put on monthly mandatory seminars about drugs, gambling, compliance and academics? NO. He sits back and collects a check. Big time programs educate their kids about pitfalls. There are no big time sports alumni that want anything to do with Pederson. That tells you everything you need to know about him. Player behavior falls under the ad.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 04.28.13 @ 10:24 pm

Look guys, here’s the thing…Pitt’s FB & BB programs are in the toilet. Dixon is radioactive to any really good recruit now too. Sad but true…

Comment by Jackagain 04.28.13 @ 10:34 pm

Post Gazette confirms that JJ Moore is out.

Moore was the 4th leading scorer last season so his loss will be felt.

Leave us with 6 players from last season.

What is going on with the program?

Comment by Pitt Fan In Atlanta 04.29.13 @ 3:25 am

4/29/2013 – 2010 SF J.J. Moore (6-6, 215, 3.7?) | Overall Rank: 79 | Position Rank: 16 will be transferring. – Per Jon Rothstein, CBS Sports

Word is, Moore is transferring to ….of all
places…….Fordham.

If that’s true, what a loser !

Comment by EMel 04.29.13 @ 5:44 am

Just another talented player (of many) forced to play out of position for JD … it’s shameful! I support JD but he needs to refocus.

Comment by wbb 04.29.13 @ 6:18 am

I think it is evident that if JD wants to continue with his methodical offense and focus on defense (and I’m OK with it since he has had so mcuh success), then he shouldn’t recuit athletic,offensive-first players (like Moore and Zeigler). And apparently, many of them are stayiing away from this program.

Robinson, on the other hand, seems like a perfect fit …. and can only hope that Young and Newkirk fit in also.

Comment by wbb 04.29.13 @ 6:38 am

Per Dan’s story above, recently attended a program about drugs and alcohol held at my son’s upper elementary school — nice school, mostly white and pretty affluent district — and the police chief said that heroin is now quite cheap to produce — even very high grade stuff and, as a result, quite abundant in many high schools. It’s become the drug that many suburban kids graduate to after prescription painkillers cease to do the trick. Scary stuff.

Comment by Carmen 04.29.13 @ 7:21 am

@dan72, real life. Thanks for sharing and hopefully as time marches on your relationship warms. She’s a principal?? Obviously, you did right and saved her.

@jackagain. I’ve thought about him being radioactive also. After hearing some of the color guys and talk radio people the past year or two, they confirmed what I assumed.

These players pretty much all know each other from all star games, summer camps etc. etc., and all exchange email’s, become Facebook friends and exchange cell phone numbers.

I hope we aren’t starting to become a “don’t go there” place.

We got Newkirk and Young, we’ll see how the next couple years go I guess.

Comment by Dan 04.29.13 @ 8:09 am

We know what we have had with JJ.
I wish him luck, but he is neither a Big East nor an ACC player at any position.
Were he transferring to a big time school I think it would be more of a red flag.

Comment by SFPitt 04.29.13 @ 8:36 am

I’d rather see Pitt scholarship athletes leave than stick around and perform poorly on the court/field. I want Pitt people who are proud to wear the blue and gold. And eventually graduate.

H2P!

Comment by MariettaMike 04.29.13 @ 10:08 am

I have never said that DW lacked character, not once.

Comment by Reed 04.30.13 @ 6:49 am

[…] When the police were ready to move in with their search warrant, Mosley-Smith was leaving the place. Police obtained a search warrant for the house, and as they prepared to enter, a man identified as Khaynin Mosley-Smith, 21, left the house. […]