April 2, 2013

And the Hits Just Keep On Coming

Filed under: Basketball,Draft,NBA — Chas @ 8:09 pm

So, hey, Steven Adams says that NBA Draft Lottery looks good.

After insisting that he would return for his sophomore season at Pitt, Steven Adams is declaring for the NBA Draft and will sign with an agent, thereby forfeiting his final three seasons of eligibility.

The 7-foot center from New Zealand announced his intentions Tuesday night in a statement released by Pitt’s athletic department. A Pitt spokesman said that Adams is out of the country.

β€œIn discussing options with my family and Coach Dixon, I feel that it is in my best interest to declare for the NBA Draft,” Adams said. β€œI want to thank everyone at Pitt, including my teammates, coaching staff, the administration and the fans who have all supported me over the last year.”

I’ll never, ever begrudge a kid for turning pro. Especially when he is a potential lottery pick. Yes, he could have come back. Potentially improved and been a top-5 pick. Thus upping the potential earning potential. But he is already a top-20 pick. Likely top-14, lottery. This is a weak draft. Especially for centers.

And I will never hold it against a kid just because he said, “sure I’m coming back.” When asked during the season. He got back to New Zealand. Got feedback, pressure. etc. He decided to go pro.

Obviously it’s a big blow for Pitt. We are about to find out just how much Jamie Dixon is willing to adjust what he does to the personnel. Even if they land a JUCO Center he is going to have to play a smaller line-up. One that is much more dependent on the guards, and getting to the rim. And more than anything else, either gang rebounding or finding other ways to play.

These are now very, very interesting times.

@FRANKCAN

Agreed.

Comment by Swinging Gate 04.03.13 @ 11:13 am

But how do we do that .
how do we get dixon to bring back slice barry
rohrssen and his NY pipe line to players
or some outher good recruiter.
you cant just walk up to him and say hire better
asst.
and while that is what could be changed there is
no way to make it happen and that is the problem

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.03.13 @ 11:36 am

info for you brothers.
larod stephens howling is talking with the
steelers today.
maybe we will have a ex panther on the steelers

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.03.13 @ 11:47 am

Guess we only want our players to become lottery picks after they finished their 5th year.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 04.03.13 @ 11:52 am

Agree with you, Justinian, I was just lamenting the situation. It’s a real catch-22 for Pitt: we all say they need some better-caliber players; we get a better caliber player in Adams, and he leaves for the NBA after one season.

Hard to recruit and develop a team around those parameters.

Comment by Lou 04.03.13 @ 12:00 pm

Everything I read about Adams before he got to Pitt was that he was a high propability one and done player. I am not the least bit surprised by this move. Good for him. He has a chance to help himself and his family now, and he is taking it. He is one freak injury away from losing a big pay day. Maybe that Lville players injury spooked him a bit. I wish him well. Defensively he will be very difficult to replace, offensively, not so much.

Comment by HbgFrank 04.03.13 @ 12:40 pm

So, we all are frustrated and concerned about the past 2 days (and 3-4 years really).

Some of you guys have short/selective memories and little to no patience:

This is Syracuse’s first Final Four since 2003.

This is Syracuse’s second Elite Eight since 2003.

Before these two in a row, Louisville hadn’t been to a Final Four since 2005.

Louisville has been bounced from the tourney in the first round 3 times since Dixon took over.

Duke’s had 1 Final Four since 2004 (granted they won it all).

Duke has 3 Elite Eights since 2001 (Translated, Duke failed to make the Elite Eight 10 times in the past 13 years)

Duke got bounced in the first round last year.

THIS IS MICHIGAN’S FIRST SWEET 16 – FINAL FOUR SINCE 1994.

THIS IS MICHIGAN’S 4th TOURNEY APPEARANCE IN THE LAST 15 YEARS.

Wichita State has 6 tourney appearances since 1980. 4 first round bounces, 1 Final Four.

Do we want more? Surely. Who doesn’t? Are we all frustrated? Good reason to be. With Dixon’s crappy recruiting, awful system, I’m not sure I’d trade our past 10 years for any of those other past 10 years (Duke’s NC notwithstanding). How about a little perspective/reality mixed in once in a while?

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 04.03.13 @ 12:57 pm

Unless Dixon pulls a 6’10” rabbit out of a hat, the program is in trouble.

This means not making the tournament 2 out of 3 years and a very rough start in a new league, which will hurt recruiting.

None of us with any brains ever thought Pitt should go after one-and-dones, and I actually didn’t realize Adams was one. One-and-dones, besides the Kentucky versions (Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist) are generally just not worth the trouble. (The only time it could be is if the kid is so good that he can jump into a starring role right away…)

Dixon must have had a very good idea that Adams was short term. Being familiar with the family situation must have had this predictable.

Which shows bad judgement, because this just prevented him from recruiting and developing other big men.

It only takes a few bad choices to torpedo a program. I thought Dixon has already used up his allotment on guards, but now we’ve added Birch and Adams to the list.

And I was already checking into where Greensboro was in preparation for the ACC tournament next year. Scrap those plans……

Comment by hugh green 04.03.13 @ 1:24 pm

@CNorwoodAZ

I agree with you 1000%.

I think many Pitt fans take the basketball program’s success for granted. I’d be lying if I were to say that I wasn’t slightly disappointed in Pitt’s lack of postseason success. But I think it’s important to remember how far this program has come in the last decade. I grew up during the Jason Maile/Jaime Peterson era when I would never have even dreamed of Pitt making the Tourney, let alone the Sweet 16/Elite 8.

I still think this program’s best days are still ahead of it.

Comment by Swinging Gate 04.03.13 @ 1:32 pm

All of you that are saying “the sky is falling” & we are doomed couldn’t be more wrong.

Adams is a loss but the kid had a chance to help his family and decided to take the big payday and that will hurt the team. agreed

Trey Ziegler … this isn’t a loss at all. I’m sure many of our current players can drive into the lane out of control and turn the ball over anytime that type of play is needed.

Shell, we had him last year and how did that turn out? Reports are that he’s a cancer and ridding yourself of cancer never hurt anyone.

Things happen and we have good people in the coaching positions. They will right the ship and this time next year all of this will be forgotten.

Comment by Tony In Harrisburg 04.03.13 @ 2:25 pm

Based on what I have heard, Adams is a late 1st round at best, probable second round.
That means his money drops big time. It also means the CBA doesn’t protect him long.
I have also heard and read that NBA GM’s think he is making a mistake. I obviously am not an NBA GM, but I have to wonder how much better he will get by not playing and not practicing?
He is going to make money this is true, but nowhere near as much as to make this decision a no brainer.
He is far behind where Chris Taft was and nowhere near as basketball experienced.
Who knows? Not this humble author.

Comment by SFPitt 04.03.13 @ 2:59 pm

We can return to the Ralph Willard Paul Evans years and everyone will be happy!!!!

Seriously though, Adams was projected to be a 1st round pick BEFORE he came to Pitt. Now he’s still projected to be a late 1st round pick. What did folks want Jamie to do? Stand in front of the door and hold Adams hostage? He is a grown man and has to do what is best for himself and his family.

Comment by Native Washingtonian 04.03.13 @ 5:45 pm

The Paul Evans years weren’t all bad. In fact those two teams in the late 80’s were better than any of the Howland/Dixon teams.

I love how ppl use Ralph Willard constantly to boost Dixon. As I posted on here before, Willard wasn’t scheduling 12 rent-a-wins to make his record appear great. If those rent-a-wins excite ppl and float your boat. So be it.

From what I see, lots of season ticket holders are no shows for the non-con. Like at least 20-25% of them.

People are starting to see thru the Illusion.

24-9 sounds impressive, but it was really 12-9 and 4-8 against the Top 50.

Also this notion of comparing us to L-Ville, Kentucky, UNC and others who lose one & dones is pretty much nonsensical. Those schools routinely recruit 3 to 4 highly rated (4 &5 star) players EVERY Year. Pitt meanwhile has almost entire recruiting classes that are wiped out by transfers/leavings/whatever and players who just aren’t very good. Whereas those elite programs just reload because they can recruit great, Pitt must scramble just to find some recruits to fill out the class. Comparing Pitt to those programs and their one & dones is ludicrous.

And while the apologists will say, losing Zeigler is no big deal, it is. He was in the system for a year and surely would have been better next year and showed to some extent when he got 20 minutes of playing time he could score as he scored 18 points and led the team in scoring one game in mid Jan and then had 13 points in a game the next week.

At the least he would have provided some depth and experience off the bench and gave you some length at 6’5″ at the 2 Guard.

At the most he could have developed into the starter at 2 guard and perhaps avg’d 10-15 ppg.

And I have a feeling next year’s bball team is really going to struggle to score points. Especially in Dixon halfcourt snailball.

Heck Zeigler might have been next year’s leading scorer.

Comment by EMel 04.04.13 @ 12:49 am

Wardapalooza you are totally wrong on the minutes reason for Adams. He never foulded out of a game and rarely had more than 2 fouls a game after December.
Yes I do not think Dixon is a good floor coach.
Villanova, why guard the ball on the take out rather than using 5 players to defend 4 (double team Reyonlds.
Butler tie with one secons. At least call time out and tell players not to reach in on any missed shot if you are not going to take them off foul line.

Read NBA scouts reports on Adams they agree with me “he only plaayed 23 minutes per game that hurt his development of offensivive game>”
Of course I would rather have the ball in Woodall’s hands.
Like Dotisch replies to blog’s saying Adams did not live up to expectations, “you do not know anything about basketball.”

Comment by pittisit 04.04.13 @ 6:54 pm

Worst move was not calling TO when no right hand Jer Dixon is trapped on his right sideline by 2 Nova defenders with Pitt up by 2 and possession with 3-4 mins to the final four. There was no doubt in my mind Pitt is about to put Nova away. Instead Nova steals the ball and Dixon fouls, 3 point play. That game never should have come down to the Reynolds play. Absolute shit coaching non move. Cost us final four.

Comment by Old School Panther 04.04.13 @ 8:10 pm