April 2, 2013

And the Hits Just Keep On Coming

Filed under: Basketball,Draft,NBA — Chas @ 8:09 pm

So, hey, Steven Adams says that NBA Draft Lottery looks good.

After insisting that he would return for his sophomore season at Pitt, Steven Adams is declaring for the NBA Draft and will sign with an agent, thereby forfeiting his final three seasons of eligibility.

The 7-foot center from New Zealand announced his intentions Tuesday night in a statement released by Pitt’s athletic department. A Pitt spokesman said that Adams is out of the country.

“In discussing options with my family and Coach Dixon, I feel that it is in my best interest to declare for the NBA Draft,” Adams said. “I want to thank everyone at Pitt, including my teammates, coaching staff, the administration and the fans who have all supported me over the last year.”

I’ll never, ever begrudge a kid for turning pro. Especially when he is a potential lottery pick. Yes, he could have come back. Potentially improved and been a top-5 pick. Thus upping the potential earning potential. But he is already a top-20 pick. Likely top-14, lottery. This is a weak draft. Especially for centers.

And I will never hold it against a kid just because he said, “sure I’m coming back.” When asked during the season. He got back to New Zealand. Got feedback, pressure. etc. He decided to go pro.

Obviously it’s a big blow for Pitt. We are about to find out just how much Jamie Dixon is willing to adjust what he does to the personnel. Even if they land a JUCO Center he is going to have to play a smaller line-up. One that is much more dependent on the guards, and getting to the rim. And more than anything else, either gang rebounding or finding other ways to play.

These are now very, very interesting times.

C’mon, 1976 was 37 years ago … is this eternal damnation or what?

Comment by wbb 04.02.13 @ 8:11 pm

our front line next year is Talib Zanna and …. uh, that’s about it

Comment by wbb 04.02.13 @ 8:12 pm

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE….WE FIRED AGNUS!!…LETS PRAISE SMILEY FOR THAT!!

Comment by Keith 04.02.13 @ 8:17 pm

Didn’t see that one coming…but I wish him well.

And if he truly goes Top 14 then he made the right choice..you don’t wait another year so that you hope you move up 4 or 5 spots. The risk of getting hurt is no worth it.

This is what you get in college sports when you mix teenagers and young adults with no money and entice them with riches. We’re the fools for not expecting this stuff to happen..Shell/Adams.

Comment by milo bloom 04.02.13 @ 8:18 pm

Seriously….pitt athletics = NATIONAL EMBARASSMENT!!

Comment by Keith 04.02.13 @ 8:19 pm

I think Chas is right – he wanted to come back but once he went home, the need for him to to the NBA now was impressed upon him. An optimistic 2013-14 now looks pretty grim. Let’ s hope Jamie has something, anything up his sleeve.

Comment by Velvil 04.02.13 @ 8:21 pm

We may have to relaize that all pitt has is HISTORY…cuz we aint makeing any in the near future…this is so depressing….i want to throw up!!

Comment by Keith 04.02.13 @ 8:21 pm

Oh another new post.

You need a fricking AP wire service to keep up with Pitt transfers/defections and/or leavings.

We would have plenty of scholies available for Marcus Gilbert’s brother me thinks.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 8:21 pm

I thought April Fools Day was over — doesn’t feel like it.

Wbb — hope Mike Young is better than expected for one of those frontline spots. Of course, when does that ever happen?

Comment by Hank the Tank 04.02.13 @ 8:22 pm

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Comment by Coach Ditka 04.02.13 @ 8:22 pm

I’m numb. Good thing I’m in Australia drinking and it’s only 11:00 AM.

Comment by MariettaMike 04.02.13 @ 8:23 pm

So we have 2 Coaches of our Major Sports, neither of whom are good at recruiting, closing the deal and according to Dokish, judging talent.

The Athletic Dept is run by a buffoon.

And we’re entering a real conf in football after going 6-7 in the weakest major football conference in the history of college football.
And we’re going to be loaded with stiffs next year as we enter ACC basketball.

And I didn’t go to the Liquor Store today why ?

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 8:25 pm

someone please tell me things will be ok?!?!…I love pitt sports and we’re the laughing stock of the entire nation!!

Comment by Keith 04.02.13 @ 8:26 pm

@Keith

Calm down man. It’ll be okay. Pitt basketball will survive.

Comment by Swinging Gate 04.02.13 @ 8:27 pm

Adams just ruined his future in the NBA. You can talk about potential and all that bs but if you can’t step in and play right away as a lottery pick you will be out of the league in 3 to 4 years max. He is 2 years away from even being close.

So whats next????

Comment by Coach Ditka 04.02.13 @ 8:28 pm

It’s either one of these 3 things.

1) Jopa was indeed the Devil

2) The Curse of Wannstache lives on

3) Tino & Family has put a hit on Pitt Sports

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 8:28 pm

how is it gonna be ok??…our bball coach runs a methotical offense that has it’s players scared to shoot the ball…and our recruiters are idiots…pitt bball is on it’s way to the bottom of the ACC barell

Comment by Keith 04.02.13 @ 8:30 pm

@Coach Ditka

what’s next….was last week.

We just gave a 10 yr extension to JD.

Funny on how ALL this stuff broke AFTER the contract extension.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 8:31 pm

Does anyone have a tally of the number of football & basketball transfers over the past 2-3 years?

Add in the facts that the women’s bball team hasn’t won a conference game in 2 years and the spring game is held at a high school on a Friday night. Now, what the hell is the Athletic Department doing because imo they should pull a Costanza and do the opposite of every decision they make!

In fairness though, the wresting and baseball teams are doing well.

Comment by CalvinHobbes 04.02.13 @ 8:32 pm

Good luck to Adams in the draft as the kid has to do what is best for himself and his family. Same good luck goes to Zeigler as he finds his way. Young will be playing major minutes next year as he will be told rebounding is his JOB #1! Whether Dixon trusts JJ and Lamar or not he will have to depend on them both! They are the core of next year’s team. Hope we can find a juco like Jermaine or Ontario to just contribute but dont waste a scholarship. Hail to Pitt! UPone

Comment by UPone 04.02.13 @ 8:32 pm

I am terribly scared that our program is falling hard…like the super hero “flash” on steroids!!

Comment by Keith 04.02.13 @ 8:33 pm

@Coach Ditka

What you said may be true. But that’s three to four years where’s he’ll likely be earning a rather substantial paycheck. He’s rightly made the determination that he can’t pass that opportunity up.

Comment by Swinging Gate 04.02.13 @ 8:33 pm

So unless someone came in and bought out his contract, if say we did want to get rid of him after several mediocre seasons. We won’t be able to afford a top tier coach, what with having to pay JD for whatever number of years is left on his contract.

Another brilliant move by Stevie Cornhole !

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 8:35 pm

And Pitt went all the way to New Zealand to waste a scholarship. It would be nice to help a guy from the USA get to the NBA but… I’m just saying.

Comment by MariettaMike 04.02.13 @ 8:37 pm

Chris taft made a similar decision. How’d that turn out. The money was always going to be there for a talent like adams. Big mistake trying to cash in too quick.

Comment by Coach Ditka 04.02.13 @ 8:39 pm

I have a question for the people that want Jamie gone. What coach would you hire to replace him? Is there a realistically attainable coach out there that would be an upgrade over Jamie?

Just curious.

Comment by Swinging Gate 04.02.13 @ 8:39 pm

JD must have thought he owed New Zealand something since he played Pro Ball there. They actually have Pro basketball in NZ ?

What happened to the GF that was supposed to be coming to Pitt to help keep Adams entertained ???

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 8:41 pm

Oy vey. What a kick in the groin.

Comment by Scott 78 04.02.13 @ 8:41 pm

With the real potential of guaranteed money (for 3-4years) and a nice signing bonus, Adams had to go.

Comment by xfmrman 04.02.13 @ 8:44 pm

Good read about NBA rookie contracts. Not exactly like the nfl first rounders.

link to forbes.com

Comment by Coach Ditka 04.02.13 @ 8:44 pm

If Adams workouts for the various NBA teams are impressive to them, he could still be a lottery
pick.

However if he came back and was misused again and averaged less than 12 ppg and 10 rpg (that’s assuming he scored more, which is a big if in Dixon’s offense), his NBA stock could go even lower, as in non-guaranteed 2nd round contract.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 8:45 pm

EMel:
NBA money can get you lots of dates.

Comment by xfmrman 04.02.13 @ 8:45 pm

anyone who thinks adams owes pitt anything more is delusional. if you had a skill/talent that someone in the free market was willing to pay you millions of guaranteed $ for…you’d turn that offer down?? i don’t think so. best of luck to adams. now, jamie, get off your ass and recruit some talent!!

Comment by scott 04.02.13 @ 8:48 pm

Shai McKenzie, considering Pitt as RB (second leading rusher In WPIAL history to Shell)in this 2014 has Pitt in his top tier with Tennessee GA Tech etc. commented tonight that “It cuts two ways…while I could now be the feature back at Pitt, I also wonder what on earth is going on down there!”

Losing Shell, Ziegler and Adams in one day is enough of a blow but I am more worried about the PR and wondering how many other recruits are wondering “what’s going on down there (at Pitt)?”

I know I am!

Comment by Dan 72 04.02.13 @ 8:48 pm

6’7 academic walk-on Aron Nwankwo was redshirted this year. He was the leading rebounder on the Maryland state championship team a few years ago. He may be starting next year

Comment by wbb 04.02.13 @ 8:49 pm

The NBA must be desperate for tall guys because I did not see Adams going this year. But what do I know. I’m bitter. Jamie must owe someone in Kiwi land.

Comment by MariettaMike 04.02.13 @ 8:51 pm

Coach Ditka:

Thanks for the link.

Now I see why the 2nd contract is the more important one in the NBA.

Comment by xfmrman 04.02.13 @ 8:51 pm

i quit

Comment by Chris 04.02.13 @ 8:54 pm

Shell was never, ever , going to rip off 80 yard runs like Tony Dorsett did religously. He was only 3 yards and a cloud of dust @ his best ! I was excited about hsi coming to Pitt until I saw him play – dude has no moves to speak of & is too slow ! Mark my words you’ll never hear from him again. Exact same for Steve Adams; I hyped him to all my friends ever before even knowing what he looked like. Just happened to be THE WORST 7 footer ever ! Let’s be honest – he looked awkard all season ( when he wasn’t in foul trouble ) And he too had moves of Carol Burnett !!

Comment by ROCKY20 04.02.13 @ 8:55 pm

@ Dan72

What’s going on at Pitt ?

Well…….on the football side, it’s been a series of cascading mistakes since December 2010.

One huge mistake can cause the snowball effect and that is what you have seen since the aforementioned date.

This is common in failed businesses. I’ve seen it happen to several former Fortune 500 companies.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 8:56 pm

Wait how the heck is Adams leaving for the NBA as a lottery pick embarrassing for Pitt?

Dixon sure sucks that he recruited a lottery pick. WTF. Dixon recruited better lost a guy to the NBA and you guys complain about that.

And Ziegler was a bench guy who was never going to play a ton at Pitt especially when it looks like Durrand Johnson is moving to two guard.

You guys need to seriously getting an f’ing grip. Did you see who great UCLA hired as coach? A guy who hasn’t won a tournament game since 1999.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.02.13 @ 9:00 pm

Swinging Gate. I’d take Wichita States coach absolutely right now over Jamie Dixon. Without a doubt. He recruits and can coach. He recruits and gets kids to Wichita! In a shit Conf.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.02.13 @ 9:00 pm

Ward…. The program is in shambles and the common piece is Steve Pederson. If you can’t see that then have another glass of Cyanide Steve’s Koolaid.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.02.13 @ 9:02 pm

Rocky, maybe the NBA was salivating over his 45% free throw %

Comment by Coach Ditka 04.02.13 @ 9:03 pm

Message board rumors of other players considering leaving the program too. Normally, I would think it’s just wackos playing with people, but as a Pitt fan, nothing would surprise me.

This program is on the precipice, not of something grand, but of something very, very bad. I don’t know if you can say Dixon has pressure on him because of his massive contract extension, but boy, it certainly feels like he does.

Comment by Mac 04.02.13 @ 9:05 pm

Ward, jd didn’t exactly work his ass off to get adams. He basically fell in his lap as a gift and he was not recruited by any other school. I have no problem with one and done guys if we could actually win something when it counts.

Comment by Coach Ditka 04.02.13 @ 9:07 pm

Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!!!!!

Comment by Dan 04.02.13 @ 9:07 pm

Keith, this sucks for next season but losing a player to the NBA as a potential lottery pick doesn’t make Pitt a laughing stock. Kentucky loses 3-5 underclass men to the draft very year. Unless you mean that Pitt is a laughing stock for having no front court depth to replace Adams. Then I see your point.

The last mock draft I looked at over the weekend didn’t even include Adams. Maybe they were assuming he wasn’t going. I think this is a big surprise to draftnicks as well.

I guess we all got a big dose of the state of college athletics the last two days. It sucks because I love the college game, but this is the reality of it. The schools use the kids, the kids use the schools, coaches sign extensions one day, leave the next, traditional rivalries are tossed aside for another million in TV money, and round and round it goes.

What’s tomorrow’s headline, “FSU and Clemson to Big 12, ACC Folds”?

Comment by Iron Duke 04.02.13 @ 9:09 pm

Dan 72 you hit the nail on the head.
to many transfers outher schools will use that on us
they will say to recruits you dont want to go to pitt every one transfers out of there.
it looks bad
and we dont have a top notch recruiter any way
and all most all the kids are signed for this year

so for next year we are fucked and most likey
for the next 2 years.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.02.13 @ 9:09 pm

EMel – I have been involved in my share of company turnarounds, one a Fortune 500. The first place we look is at the top and the CEO is usually the first out the door. If we look at the top at Pitt we find Steve Pederson, one of the most incompetant, arrogant lost souls of NCAA Sports. His history has left massive clues.

Think of him a Lucy holding the football and Pitt fans as Linus.

Comment by Dan 72 04.02.13 @ 9:10 pm

Why can’t the people that we all wanted to leave (sunseri, pedersen, et al) have gone instead of impact players to hurt the program. If this were a company, shell, adams, ziegler…would be rats jumping off a sinking ship. That leaves a ship of rats…so hoping they can bail that water petty fast. Football could be tough and bball could regress to ’11-’12…

Comment by pendlum 04.02.13 @ 9:11 pm

I’m just gonna laugh at today. Honestly, it’s to the point where I can’t even be surprised by what happens anymore.

Comment by Vulcan Rob 04.02.13 @ 9:11 pm

I don’t follow basketball too much so help me out here…
I get Adams, OK.

– Now why are so many players leaving the last few years?
– How well is he recruiting really.. forget big names, just good players?
– Is this team ready with other players?
– 4-5 yrs not 1 win in Big East Tournament.
– always has lost heartbreakers in NCAA before expectations…
– never overachieved??
– Just got 10 year extension…
– How good are his assistants?

Are we OK here moving forward?

Comment by Pittscript 04.02.13 @ 9:13 pm

@Upittbaseball

I’m looking at Wichita State’s recruiting classes and it looks like the highest rated recruit Gregg Marshall pulled in was rated four stars. The rest are two and three star kids. Jamie brings in his share of three star players and gets raked over the coals for it.

Marshall may be a better coach than Dixon (I don’t necessarily subscribe to that viewpoint), but he’s definitely not a superior recruiter.

Comment by Swinging Gate 04.02.13 @ 9:14 pm

Bring back Barry Rohrsen…an excellent assistant and a recruiter who knows Noo Yawk.

Comment by isnore 04.02.13 @ 9:22 pm

Hey, it opens up a couple of scholarships, for some hard-nosed, defensive minded kids, that are willing to learn and grow within the system!!

LMAO!!!!

Comment by Dan 04.02.13 @ 9:22 pm

Not a good decision. He is nowhere near ready for the NBA. I imagine he will find that out soon enough. From a Pitt basketball standpoint, it sucks. Pitt could have really used him next year and I believe the additional year would have really helped his development. Despite the money, I think Adams ultimately loses by going pro before he’s ready, and Pitt basketball loses because they spent a year on developing him, without seeing the benefit of his growth as player next season.

Comment by Justinian 04.02.13 @ 9:23 pm

Swinging…. Then he has the ability to coach his kids up! Dixon plays them out of position. Imagine what kind of kids he could get in the ACC and not in shithole Kansas.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.02.13 @ 9:25 pm

At least the NFL has their act together. They don’t take players from the college game, unless they are at least 3 years removed from high school. The NBA is a 3rd rate league, they have absolutely no regard for the college game that feeds them.

Comment by Justinian 04.02.13 @ 9:27 pm

@ RockyADept.

Adams wasn’t great, but he has the tools to be great. And that is his worth to the NBA, he has the potential to be great or very good.

I could name a litany of worse 7 footers btw.

Dan72 mentioned one at Pitt, Luscious Keese.
That guy was incredibly inept for a 6-11, 7 footer.
Others we had that were either 7 foot or close to it that were terrible. Ed Scheurman comes to mind. Just recently, Cassin Diggs was a stiff.
Gary McGhee never sniffed the NBA. Dwight Miller was a stiff. As was Doyle Hudson and Tyrell Biggs. Add Austin Wallace, a 2006 Pitt recruit.
Just recently Malcolm Gilbert appeared to be most likely a stiff and Khem Birch has yet to average more than Adams in ppg or rpg.

Other than Scheurman & Keese, ALL of those stiffs were just in the last decade. And JUST at Pitt.

So you’re way off base calling Adams, “THE WORST 7 footer ever ! Not even close.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 9:30 pm

and God said, “Schleprock, you will be Pitt’s guardian angel”!!

Comment by Dan 04.02.13 @ 9:30 pm

Smartest move he could make. Dixon has no clue how to develop Adams, the kid needs real coaching and he’ll get it in the NBA. Riley had to be incredulous watching Adams guard PG’s at the top of the key during the WS game. This kid will.pay huge dividends to the team that has the patience and coaching.

Comment by Old School Panther 04.02.13 @ 9:33 pm

wbb, I hope they are starting a search party for the witch doctor to remove this effing curse.

No one can possibly be this damned.

Comment by gc 04.02.13 @ 9:37 pm

I was just on Yahoo’s NCAA basketball page.

There isn’t even a mention among 10 headlines or so about Adams leaving for the NBA.

So it’s already off the Main page.

Which if you wanted to spin this positively for a one & done to the NBA for Pitt. We aren’t even getting the benefit of that !

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 9:37 pm

lol Dan-o

ain’t (emphasis) that the truth !!

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 9:40 pm

you all remmber jamel artis if he still wants to come to pitt we better sign him up.
at least it would be a player who is 6 foot 7.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.02.13 @ 9:40 pm

FYI Wichita St. coach won’t leave Wichita St. Pitt wouldn’t be able to get him.

Please tell me how the program is in shambles? Just had a season where Pitt exceeded most expectations and won 24 games and finished 4th in Big East.

Pitt lost a lottery pick to the NBA it happens.

Dixon spent years cultivating the relationships to get Adams.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.02.13 @ 9:41 pm

Iron Duke….your comparing Kentucky basketball to Pitt basketball…..get u grip dude

Comment by Keith 04.02.13 @ 9:42 pm

keith and EMel what does this tell you abought
pitt recruiting pitt has offered 1 player for 2014

ND has 4 offers out for 2014
syracuse has 9 offers out for 2014

would you say we are not on the ball with
the recruiting offers for 2014.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.02.13 @ 9:45 pm

Wonder who and how many had to consult with Stevie Cornhole, before he decided (sic) to relieve the great Agnus from her position of Head Coach.

Didn’t Agnus have mass transfers, defections or what other name you choose, before the program went into the shithole ??

Just sayin.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 9:46 pm

@Wardapalooza

Finally a voice of reason!

Marshall, Smart, Stevens, Miller, none of those guys are leaving their current jobs to come to Pitt. And even if they did come here, it’s no guarantee that any of them would be able surpass what Dixon has done at Pitt. But I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, no?

Comment by Swinging Gate 04.02.13 @ 9:46 pm

Also if you pay attention to college sports on the whole you’d know that transferring has increased dramatically everywhere over the last few years. It isn’t just a Pitt problem. It’s happening everywhere. Players just transfer more. Get used to it.

Birch left cause the guy who recruited him wasn’t at Pitt. Gilbert left to play with his bro. The other guys left cause they weren’t getting playing time.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.02.13 @ 9:46 pm

If I’m a basketball recruit…there is know way I’m comeing to Pitt….lack of leadership with smiley and a coach who can’t put his players in the best position to succed

Comment by Keith 04.02.13 @ 9:47 pm

@FRankcan

Is that a question or a joke ?

One never knows where it concerns Pitt sports these days.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 9:48 pm

Unfortunately, Adams making the best choice for himself and Family, too much money involved. This is the state of college athletics.

As an old friend used to say ” under the arm Pitt ”

Still not sure what it means but I think it applies.

Comment by gc 04.02.13 @ 9:49 pm

FRAKLIN….i totally agree with you…who the hell wants to come to a program who’s main objective is to play defense??…..if you want to win games you have to score points…our players have handcuffs on their hands and are scared to shoot the damn ball…i hate it!

Comment by Keith 04.02.13 @ 9:50 pm

I honestly I don’t get why you guys are surprised that a 7 foot tall guy who has tons of potential who got better during the year is now leaving as a lottery pick. Those of you are saying that Adams needs school to develop are crazy. Adams will learn more practicing every day in the NBA than starting on college. NBA teams actually like to get players early before they learn bad habits in college. Also there isn’t limits on practice in NBA. Adams can now focus on his profession and stop the charade of being a student.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.02.13 @ 9:52 pm

Ward 100%

Comment by gc 04.02.13 @ 9:53 pm

We won’t go .500 next year in the ACC in either sport. That’s a fact.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.02.13 @ 9:53 pm

@Warda…because Adams was adamant that he was coming back just a few days ago.

Comment by panther94 04.02.13 @ 9:54 pm

I definitely have my share of qualms with Jamie, and by no means am I in the “Jamie Is God” camp. But the way some people talk about him, you’d think that Pitt was stuck with the second coming of Scott Edgar.

Comment by Swinging Gate 04.02.13 @ 9:54 pm

I think I am going to look for a new hobby, maybe knitting.

Comment by gc 04.02.13 @ 9:56 pm

already predicted that we won’t make the tourny next year…and fball…we’re always hovering around .500

Comment by Keith 04.02.13 @ 9:56 pm

Also for all the talk of bad recruiting look at the last couple of classes, Adams Robinson and the best player in NJ who some scouts say has NBA wing potential and this year with two guys who had tons of great offers is another good class. If they get Severe that’s three really talented guys and a solid class.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.02.13 @ 9:58 pm

insult to injury … Sean Miller just reeled in his 2nd 5-star forward. Neither from the West Coast

This one was from Toronto CA, the other from Chester PA

Comment by wbb 04.02.13 @ 9:58 pm

I’m slightly suprised because just a few days ago he said, “I’m coming back, I’m definitely coming back, I don’t know why you guys keep asking me that”.

Would I hold an 18 year old, with microphones in his face after a tough loss, to that???

No, but I’m just answering to why I might be a little suprised. That’s the last I heard on the subject. From him. That he was definitely coming back.

Comment by Dan 04.02.13 @ 9:59 pm

John Johnson & Marcus Gilbert would be getting plenty of playing time next year.

Dixon’s job was to convince them that they might and the grass wasn’t greener on the other side of the hill.

And if you thought as HC that Gilbert had any worth at all, as a 20-25 minute player you had to keep him. And as it turns out, we now have plenty of scholies available to offer his brother.

Every team has kids that don’t play, Gilbert’s brother could just be another one of those and who knows maybe he surprises you like Antonio Graves or someone like him.

This team is in some serious trouble now, with a lack of depth at not only Center, but also Shooting Guard and Power Forward.

And you have a collection of mostly inconsistent players who you never know who is going to show up to play on any given night.

And just how are you going to play Dixon’s methodical snail paced halfcourt game with an undersized lineup of players who can’t shoot it consistently from the Outside, nor have the driving ability to take the ball to the rim.

We have all these open roster slots now and no asst coaches who can recruit, nor apparently teach Free Throw shooting, how to run the pick and roll or how to play the press defense.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 10:01 pm

Shocked. At least Mike Rice isn’t our coach.

Comment by alcofan 04.02.13 @ 10:02 pm

@EMel, maybe they could try Robinson at the 4???

Comment by Dan 04.02.13 @ 10:03 pm

my bad — Miller’s latest recruit was from california (had the CA right)

Comment by wbb 04.02.13 @ 10:04 pm

Wardapalooza this is not adams leaveing he is in need of money.
it is abought how thin pitt will be for next year
how fucked we will be.it is the fact that we have had so many transfers it looks bad .
it is abought the fact we dont have a top notch recruiter.
it is allso that every thing hit at once.

no one is mad at adams just mad at the way things seam to be spinning out of control

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.02.13 @ 10:04 pm

I’m gonna put ‘Exhile on Main Street’ on, and pour me a Scotch.

Nighty nite all!!!!

p.s. now is the real time, when everyone pretty much agrees, “at least nothing else can happen to Pitt”, that it in fact will!!! LOL

It’s OUR way!!!!!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 04.02.13 @ 10:06 pm

Chris Jones was not the top player out of NJ.

He was a frickin 3 star recruit.

Who had to be redshirted which in itself tells you something.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 10:06 pm

Keith, you completely misunderstood. The point is that losing a player to the NBA doesn’t make a program a laughing stock. Rather the opposite. If Pitt were a top tier program (like Kentucky), it would happen routinely.

Comment by Iron Duke 04.02.13 @ 10:06 pm

Shell better call Adams and thank him so much! He took a pounding today rightfully so, but the news with Adams just deflected the attention. God, what a depressing day! I just had a dream last night, no bs that Pitt went to a final four and Adams was cutting down the net! I don’t think I signed up for this abuse! I blame my dad! Why did he take me to Pitt games and toy with my emotions like this? Why?

Comment by Sweet Caroline 04.02.13 @ 10:06 pm

Shell… who?… lol…

Comment by Pittscript 04.02.13 @ 10:06 pm

Good riddance to Shell but Dixon needs to convince everyone to stay? And Chryst isn’t supposed to give preferential treatment to Shell, who is an elite talent but Dixon is supposed to bend over backwards for Gilbert who certainly isn’t elite?

If transferring was a Pitt specific problem I’d be worried but it’s everywhere.

I still wanna know how a bad recruiter like Dixon got Newkirk and Young? Look at the other offers those guys got.

Dixon has a track record of succeeding with worse talent. He took a team that have lots of minutes to Yuri Demtrious and Mark McCarrol to the tourney. Next years team is more talented.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.02.13 @ 10:07 pm

exactly Frankcan

It’s the totality of the whole mess.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 10:09 pm

Thank G-d it’s baseball season. Unless you’re a Pirates fan.

Comment by Scott 78 04.02.13 @ 10:09 pm

EMel you hit the nail on the head.
the offers tell the story pitt one offer for 2014
syracuse 9 offers for 2014.
were in the hell is are recruiting.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.02.13 @ 10:11 pm

Wow,

this is getting like all the TV shows, movies, psychology feel good articles & books…..

we got to blame poor old dad.

Come to think of it, mine started taking me to Pitt games at a very young age…….haha

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 10:13 pm

@Frankcan

Maybe he’s waiting until less players are available to recruit.

You know it’s easier that way…..you have less choices. :-)

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 10:15 pm

Didn’t Blair initially say he was coming back? College guys always say they are but few do once they are told they will be drafted high. I assume all potential lottery picks are gone until the deadline comes.

When Chris Jones committed I read a ton about him from people who watched him play in NJ. Those people were really high on him and said he was a late bloomer but was really good by the end, that’s a good get seeing as Pitt probably had to scramble to get him.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.02.13 @ 10:17 pm

EMel very good you you do make me laugh nice shot.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.02.13 @ 10:20 pm

He might be the 2nd coming of Sam Young.

Or he might be the 2nd coming of John DeGroat.

Who knows. But of the list of schools that recruited him, only smaller D1 programs offered him, Pitt was his only true D1 good program offer.
Uconn, Seton Hall & Va Tech were initially interested but didn’t offer.

link to rivals.yahoo.com

Hopefully he’ll be the 2nd coming of Sam Young.

At Pitt these days all we have is “Hope”.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 10:25 pm

LOL. In 100 out of 100 companies Pederson would be fired for is performance. At Pitt he gets to make 700k. If he ever even made a JV team I’d be surprised. What a joke. You guys want to talk about good AD’s someone go hire the Louisville AD. Football awesome, Baseball Awesome, men’s basketball awesome, woman’s basketball awesome. Pederson is a joke.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.02.13 @ 10:30 pm

I hope Chas is archiving these comments about how Pitt BBall will now struggle in the ACC. Looking at how that conference did this year (how many ACC teams are in the Final 4?), I’m not worried about us next year with or without Adams.

Just remember your predictions and, if you turn out to be wrong, man up and admit it. I’m not predicting success or a championship but I’m not ready to lay down and concede defeat either.

Comment by Pitt Dad 04.02.13 @ 10:31 pm

Chris Jones COMMITTED (03/05/2012)

The lateness of the commit date suggests JD had a scholarship available and was desperate.

Which of course normally leads to the freshman redshirt.

Comment by EMel 04.02.13 @ 10:32 pm

Yeah I know his stars aren’t impressive but still good potential.

Speaking of offers, Newkirk’s offers indicate he is much better than his ranking. Newkirk and Young are really legit.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.02.13 @ 10:34 pm

Pitt Dad… I said we won’t go .500 in the ACC. I will stand by that hands down.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.02.13 @ 10:35 pm

In both sports…

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.02.13 @ 10:35 pm

EMel, that was Birch’s spot so of course it was going to be late. It wasn’t even open till December so he started recruiting again. I’m not saying Jones is MJ all I’m saying pretty good for late addition.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.02.13 @ 10:43 pm

UPittbaseball, I guarantee Pitt basketball is at least .500 and makes NCAA. But football will be lucky to win 4 games.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.02.13 @ 10:46 pm

It is a good day when Pitt is able to get a kid into the NBA (especially if he is a lottery pick). Good for the kid and good for Pitt. The more NBA prospect the more likely we are to keep getting them in the future. Kids want to go to a program that has a shot at developing NBA players. My guess is that the NBA scouts have told him that he is ready for the leap and they will invest in him. I must say that he started off slow but looked much better by season end.

Ziegler probably felt that his game wasn’t suited for Pitt and Dixon. I am surprised since his Dad is a coach and should have known this before hand. Either way, I hope that he lands on his feet some place. He isn’t an NBA level player but perhaps he can get to Europe. Leaving the MAC for the Big East was a wake up call for him talent wise. I am not so sure that Pitt is his problem. Be able to play against top talent night in and night out might be. On any account I hope that he lands on his feet and does well. Sounds like he is good kid.

Tough day for Pitt athletics but we will still be standing in the AM. Time to keep looking forward.

Comment by Pitt Fan In Atlanta 04.02.13 @ 10:48 pm

Ward… I say we are below .500 in the ACC games. Not when Cyanide Steve schedule Lock Haven, WV State, Marshall and Penn State Fayette.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.02.13 @ 10:57 pm

EMel check this out mason who was the forth best
3 point shooter in the nation last year wanted
to be closer to home .
so he wanted to transfer to pitt or duquesne
pitt was not intrested
so he will be playing for duquesne.

did not every one say we needed a 3 point shooter
and you wonder abought pitt recruiting who fell
asleep on this one.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.02.13 @ 10:58 pm

Adams had exactly zero post moves and averaged less than 10 points a game. Shell was slow and fat. Next!

Comment by CBC 04.02.13 @ 11:06 pm

just watched Isaac Bennett’s interview from practice and he just seems like a humble, happy guy. Hope he does well…

Comment by rhyno527 04.02.13 @ 11:23 pm

It truly is a sad day for Pitt and not for what most of you think. It amazes me how some take adversity in respect to Pitt athletics. Besides me. Pitt Fan in Atlanta, Pitt Dad, and Ward (except for football) and perhaps some other I have missed, most of you cry like babies when things go bad for Pitt. You cry, you moan and most of all defame, ridicule, and outright hate on players, coaches or anyone whom you deem responsible for the situation.

I am not hating on you but the childish rants and remarks is why I had not been posting since late fall. There is no reasoning with you and you call yourselves fans. Fans of what, entitlement, judgment or whatever. If you have to be this miserable why in the wide wide world of sports do you even follow Pitt in the first place.

Once again please forgive me if this offends you. I for one if I either played, coached or were affiliated with Pitt’s athletic programs would no want you as fans…

Comment by Kenny 04.02.13 @ 11:50 pm

Meyers Leonard left Illinois after a good sophomore season, and while he has struggled in the NBA, the Illini actually improved (yes, they had a good recruiting clas). Meyers is lot like Adams-big, not a lot of offensive skills other than follow-up dunks…..but like the saying goes, “you can’t teach height.”

Hard to say how we will do next year, but Jamie knows more about this PITT team than I do, so I will leave it to him, and root for them in a positive manner.

Hail to PITT!
-al-

Comment by Oregon_Panther 04.02.13 @ 11:55 pm

Right Kenny, turnover is quick in college athletics. These are defectors built up expectations and failed to deliver. They were not students like most of us who went to Pitt. It is certainly not a sad day when they leave.

Comment by CBC 04.03.13 @ 12:04 am

Holy Fu**. Can it possibly get worse?

Comment by Jeff in CPa 04.03.13 @ 12:10 am

Adams must have the same agent as James Harrison.

Comment by CBC 04.03.13 @ 12:20 am

For those of you fretting over our 5 transfers in 2 years, Louisvile had 3 or 4 guys transfer in 2012 alone. One after this season started (bet he feels dumb). National embarassment? Ha ha ha ha ha. Doug Gottlieb didn’t even bother commenting and he never misses an opportunity to dump on Pitt.

Having said that, we cannot afford for either Young or Newkirk to be recruiting misses as it looks like we will again be countIng on freshman to contribute a lot next year. JDix has his hands full yet again.

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 04.03.13 @ 1:02 am

A video has surfaced and by all accounts it is not pretty. Filled with expletives, an accusation of hitting, sub par performance and the like the question now is how in the world did this guy keep his job.
I’m not writing about Mike Rice.
The video is that of Pitt athletics since Cyanide Steve resumed his $700,000.00 per year throne atop Cardiac Hill!
It stars Graham, Haywood, Shell, Agnes, Adams, Zeigler, et al and is performed in front of hundreds of thousands of empty yellow seats in the fall and November/December at the Events Center.
Starting as the main attraction in Lincoln Nebraska where bridges are still smoldering, it is in it’s 6th year here with no end in sight.
The Pitt athletic department motto is “Hey, someone has to lose”.

Comment by SFPitt 04.03.13 @ 2:21 am

I hope Adams leaving doesn’t affect any commitments coming in.

Comment by Old School Panther 04.03.13 @ 2:47 am

@Frankcan,

JD doesn’t like shooters especially 3 point ones.

They disturb the rhythm of our 30 second motion offense.

Shame on you for even asking ! :-)

Comment by EMel 04.03.13 @ 4:46 am

lol SFPitt

Got a link for that buddy,

Sounds mildly entertaining.

And anything would help at this point !

Comment by EMel 04.03.13 @ 4:52 am

Don’t worry. Dixon is on the road right now looking for slow defensive players that can’t shoot. It will be hard replacing a sharpshooter like Ziegler(ha ha). This will put Dixon’s crack recruiting staff (ha ha) into action. Dixon needs a running team now but is stuck with a slow point guard. He will have to pound it in low to our bigs (I forgot, we don’t have any).

Comment by Wayne 04.03.13 @ 5:16 am

Adams should take the money. How many of the people
commenting on this blog have been homeless? How many
of you made a million bucks at 18? He helped the school
win 24 games. Adams will make a good living for a long time
playing BB….not necessarily in the NBA but internationally.

Comment by JR 04.03.13 @ 5:35 am

No other University has transfers or kids turning pro early…just never happens. My God people, get a grip.

Comment by notrocketscience 04.03.13 @ 6:25 am

Coaching changes, player transfers, one and dones in tourneys, That’s it, I’m done!! It is just too damn hard being a Pitt Fan, Chas and Reed’s criticism about my blogging style, they are always on me, clean up my posts, yelling punctuation, punctuation, all the time!

I’ve always liked the Trogan’s fight song, that’s it, I’m going to start following USC. I’m putting in my God damn transfer papers for the PAC 12, Go Trogans!!!

You know how it is,,,, When the going gets tough the not so tough,,,,TRANSFER!! LOL.

HAIL TO PITT!

Comment by Dr. Tom 04.03.13 @ 6:42 am

For all you guys out there stating that Kentucky always has guys leaving early for the NBA and Lousiville has all these transfers, the difference is that they both have plenty of 4-star talent to reload …. we have Talib Zanna as the ONLY rebounder returning …. that’s it!

If he gets hurt, then JJ Moore is jumping center

Comment by wbb 04.03.13 @ 7:11 am

No one said it was easy to be a Pitt Fan. One reason why there are so few of us.

Rushel Shell is hard to take because it does not appear logical to those of us that bleed blue and gold. It will hurt but will be absorbed by the rest of the team, may cost us a game or two, but is probably a blip on the radar, all things considered.

Adams leaving is much more logical, his family, big money etc., from that perspective easier to take. The disappointment is the what could have been. We will now never know how many games he would have dominated in the ACC. How far he might have taken us in the NCAA’s. We have so much less to look forward to next year. Our superstar is gone.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going, while we are helpless and are left to cry in our coffee, JD and PC are left to regroup and carry-on. New opportunities and challenges exist for our athletes. The Phoenix rises from the ashes.

Hail to Pitt!

Comment by gc 04.03.13 @ 7:13 am

UPitt, I know you meant .500 in ACC and that’s what I meant too.

CNorwood good point about Louisville transfers. Like I said earlier, transfers happen a lot more anymore. They just aren’t going to sit on the bench and wait for playing time. I guess why would you if you can leave and get major minutes elsewhere.

Frankcan, if Dixon recruited Micah Mason you would be all over him for getting a 2-star guard. Minus 3pt shooting percentage, the rest of his stats aren’t good. I don’t think he is nearly as good as a shooter as you think he is. He shot only 70% from the line.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.03.13 @ 7:16 am

ATTENTION PITT FANS OF SOUND MIND — probably best to stay away from the comments section for a few days. That will give all the Keiths, UPittbaseballs, et al feeding frenzy on bad news (that they live for) time to run its course.

This news is not out of left field. Adams was always a possibility to go pro, and Trey Zeigler barely contributed. This isn’t Khem Birch leaving midseason either. Jamie now has a full year to figure out how best utilize his players, and we have seen him do “more with less” many times before.

Comment by JCE 04.03.13 @ 7:20 am

the heck with a shooter right now .. who the heck is going to defend/rebound underneath next year??

WE have:

– a 6’9 guy who the last 2 years has disappeared when league games began
– a 6’7 academic walk-on who has never played except at the end of blow-out preseason games
– an untested 6’8 freshman

That’s it

Comment by wbb 04.03.13 @ 7:23 am

we may be able to over come our lack of frontcourt talent/depth if we had very quick, atletic people who can play uptempto and shoot 3s reliably … but that is not who we are

Micah Mason would be so lost defending in the ACC, it isn’t even funny

Comment by wbb 04.03.13 @ 7:26 am

The joy of being a Pitt fan.

Comment by TX Panther 04.03.13 @ 7:26 am

Things keep on getting better and better at Pitt don’t they? #hoplessness

Comment by Get the Glory 04.03.13 @ 7:39 am

Kenny:
Quite the contrary for me. I don’t complain and hate on players. I wish them all well. Perhaps you have mistaken my post so let me clarify for you. No one (or more players) define Pitt athletics.

Shell- wish him well. No regrets. A kis must want to be at a school to be productive. Would release him to schools with previous Pitt coaches not to punish the kid but instead to discourage tampering.

Adams- as I stated it is a good day when Pitt and get a kid into the NBA (or NFL). Everyone wins. Adams has a great upside and we witnessed his growth all year

Ziegler- just never fit with Pitt. He isn’t the star in the Big East as he was in the MAC. Not an attack on him as much as a better talent pool. He isn’t an NBA talent but most aren’t so no slight. Europe is a good option.

Sunseri- enough said.

Perhaps you havent been reading my post.
Lay off the personal attacks on posters. Everyone is entitled to an opinion even if it deviates from yours.

Comment by Pitt Fan in Atlanta 04.03.13 @ 7:50 am

5 Zanna/Awanko
4 JJ or Young
3 Patterson/Johnson
2 Wright or Newkirk
1 Robinson

If Jamie doesn’t find a couple miracle Jucos we finish dead last in our inaugural ACC season.

It is what it is.

Comment by gc 04.03.13 @ 7:53 am

hahaha DIXON!!!

I wonder if he would have got the extension if his marquis recruit, who he wasted 3 years on, was a total BUST and left after one year.

What was the ROI on the recruitment of Khem Birch and Steven Adams?

lets give this guy a 20 year extension… here’s hoping Pitt can be the springboard for some new sexy mid major in 2014, if they even make it to the tournament.

man i miss the howland years

Comment by DeVanzo 04.03.13 @ 7:56 am

What value would Eric Mobley command had he played college basketball circa 2013? Is it ridiculous to say a top 3 pick?

Comment by dallas mike 04.03.13 @ 7:56 am

JCE – You either love Kool-Aid or you are Steve Pederson. Are you telling me you are fine with the state of our Athletic Department. Status quo? It’s like we panthers fans are in a abusive relationship. You know who the abuser is?????????????? Steve Pederson and we just keep letting him beat us up every other night. Whoever doesn’t see him as a problem is crazy. Fire Pederson and give Louisville’s AD 1.2M. Problem solved. How many teams at L’Ville are awesome? I counted 6. 2 in major sports.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.03.13 @ 7:57 am

the mistake was not Adams going pro – it was our clueless head coach investing 3 years and going all in on this kid as a centerpiece for the team when every pundit on earth was saying he was one and done

Comment by DeVanzo 04.03.13 @ 8:01 am

gc – compare your line up to what might/should have been:

5 Adams/Gilbert
4 Birch/Zanna/Young
3 Patterson/Moore/Jones
2 Zeigler/Johnson
1 Robinson/Newkirk

This team went from having the talent to compete for an ACC title to a team that will be lucky to win 5-6 acc games. Ugh

Comment by boubacar aw 04.03.13 @ 8:07 am

sad but true

Comment by gc 04.03.13 @ 8:09 am

The sky is falling the sky is falling! Keep on whining.

Comment by notrocketscience 04.03.13 @ 8:11 am

our first year in the acc should go well…

Comment by Coach Ditka 04.03.13 @ 8:12 am

DeVanzo, so Dixon should never recruit elite talent then. Half those guys leave after one year.

Next year’s team is still more talented than any Howlad Pitt team. And is certainly more talented than a couple Dixon Pitt teams that did well in Big East and made the tournament.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.03.13 @ 8:13 am

So far I have not heard of or seen any reports of deaths attributed to the recent rash of Pitt transfers from the FB & BB teams. Therefore I must conclude that,

That, that does not kill you, only makes you stronger!

I’m in the court of public opinion that feels that this Pitt football team is learning a valuable lesson with the transfer of Rushel Shell. Life lessons often are painful and expensive but leave a lasting impression. This Pitt team will come out better for it in the long run. The King is dead, the King is dead, long live Sir Isaac Bennett. Opportunity knocks, NEXT!

Comment by Dr. Tom 04.03.13 @ 8:21 am

Pitt should block ACC transfers and ASU.

Comment by Frank MD 04.03.13 @ 8:24 am

Dr. Tom I’ve also done some soul searching over the last few days and my current assessment is…

we are f*cked

Comment by Coach Ditka 04.03.13 @ 8:25 am

OH MY GOD — DIXON RECRUITED THE VERY KIND OF ONE-AND-DONE GUY EVERYONE KEEPS INSISTING HE DOESN’T RECRUIT AND NOW HE IS GOING PRO AND SOMEHOW THAT PROVES THAT DIXON DOESN’T RECRUIT GOOD ENOUGH PLAYERS!!!!

Seriously, what in the world are you people thinking? Pitt Athletics is an embarrassment now somehow? Sheesh. I should’ve known better than to read the comments section.

Comment by PantherP 04.03.13 @ 8:26 am

Wait a second. Haven’t Pitt fans long clamored for Jamie to bring in more “one and done,” lottery-caliber players? I thought sending kids to the NBA was a good thing.

Comment by Swinging Gate 04.03.13 @ 8:33 am

I dont think anybody has a problem with one and done players. The difference here is that most programs with one year players typically win in the ncaa tourney. We on the other hand never win.

Yes Kentucky, Louisville, Cuse and these other schools lose guys all the time but they also go to Final Fours and win national titles… what have we won???

And lets stop giving Dixon kudos for landing Adams. He was a gift dropped in his lap because of some connection to his family. Adams wasn’t recruited by any other school so it’s not like we beat out the competition to get him. Now whne we start landing top recruits over places like Syracuse, Uconn, UNC, Duke, etc.. then JD can get some pats on his back.

Comment by Coach Ditka 04.03.13 @ 8:34 am

Dr. Tom I share you opinion the running back situation. Next man up, Issac Bennett has worked hard and deserves the opportunity. He and Malcom Crocket will get an lot of playing time and I think they will do just fine.

I am bummed out however, by Steve Adams leaving after one year. I really believe he needs, at the very least, one more year playing college ball, to develop his offensive game. I realize the money is inticing, but another year would make a difference for him. This is major setback for Pitt basketball.

Comment by Justinian 04.03.13 @ 8:35 am

be careful kenny you will be on the list with me,sadly u r right,my kids are getting afab education at pitt,and the sports keep our family together,people have aright to their opinion,unless its u

Comment by paul shannon 04.03.13 @ 8:36 am

Wichita uses JUCO players to the final four there must be some more out there.

Comment by Frank MD 04.03.13 @ 8:36 am

we’ll see what JUCO players are brought in for the necessary quick fix .. as well as any 5th year grad students who still has eligibility left

Comment by wbb 04.03.13 @ 8:41 am

Bennett breaks a tackle==stiff arm== and he’s in the end zone for a Panther touchdown. Robinson to Moore for the monster jam. Oh my Billy the Panthers are playing well. PITT up 5. Stay positive better days have to ahead. HTP!!

Comment by DC33 04.03.13 @ 8:45 am

This recent development sure changes the expectations for the next basketball season.

On the football side of things, I think we’ll be ok. With shell leaving, coming to Pitt may be a more attractive situation for Washington’s McKenzie. He stated that a factor of where he decides to go, will be the opportunity to play right away.

Comment by Justinian 04.03.13 @ 8:46 am

What are the odds Adams does what other guys have done and signs and “advisor”, not an “agent” and considers coming back?

I really thought next year was gonna be our year!

Damn.

Comment by PantherP 04.03.13 @ 8:47 am

If you’re a big man who wants to play right away, Pitt now appears to be a good option. I wonder if there are any decent uncommitted JUCOs out there?

Comment by Justinian 04.03.13 @ 8:49 am

Adams and gone to the NBA and he should be. No advisor as I am certain that he has been told by scout that they will take him. He is 7-0 and all of it. No baby fat. He has the body of a man and the NBA will make him better NOW.
Props to Jamie for finding a guy like Adams. We need more 1 and done kids as it is obvious that those who make deep runs into the tourney always have 2-3 NBAL level players. The year we made our deepest run we had two.

Pitt Athletics is doing fine.

ACC

Another NCAA tourney

20+ win season

Promising Football recruiting class

Promising 2014 WPIAL prospects

Dixon here for 10 more year (or so they say)

Chryst back for a second year :)

Opening day on National TV against no other than FSU (the team that robbed us of our last legitimate NCAA title in the early 80’s)

I am feeling pretty good right now.

Change happens and Pitt is not immune to it. Opportunity knocking folks so might as well answer the door.

Comment by Pitt Fan In Atlanta 04.03.13 @ 9:01 am

Coach Ditka, Josh Newkirk had offers from the following schools: Arizona, Indiana, Memphis, Missouri, Georgia Tech, NC. St., Ok. St. and Tennessee. Mike young had offers from: UConn, Florida, Georgia Tech, Miami and NC. St. James Robinson had some pretty good offers too.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.03.13 @ 9:04 am

The Cathedral of Learning just transferred to Carnegie Mellon!

The fact is the pro leagues fall in love with potential. It is always better for guys to leave early before the scouts start picking their games apart.

The strength of our teams as we climbed into national relevance has always been the collective will to win. I always felt that our basketball team would win – down to Duke at MSG, in any Big East game etc…(btw: exact opposite for our football team) that is why the tourny losses have always hurt so much. I always expected them to win. The last couple of years that feeling has diminished and now is gone. We need some stability and a crew of guys committed to each other and to winning.

Comment by PittDan 04.03.13 @ 9:08 am

So does JD run more with this team of guards next year or does he slow it down even more to limit possessions?

Comment by bdubb 04.03.13 @ 9:10 am

UPittbaseball — you extrapolated quite a bit from what I said. What does the AD have to do with Shell leaving? Or Adams going to the NBA? Or Trey Zeigler not being good enough to get playing time?

I think you people are blinded by your hate of Steve Pederson, and give him a lot more credit than he deserves when it comes to his “sabotaging” of our athletic department. I’ll bet if we had unlimited funds for our athletic teams, he would be a great AD. I think it boils down to that more than it does WHO the AD is.

I am perfectly happy with both Dixon and Chryst as our head coaches. You are not, and you are laying that at the feet of Pederson. What coaches are you going to get that are better? Chryst has only been on the job for a year, so noone can even say whether or not he is a success/failure. All Dixon has done is help resurrect and sustain a competetive basketball program for over a decade. That’s not kool-aid. That’s a fact.

Imagine Pitt’s basketball program was in shambles for these past 10 years. (Shouldn’t take much imagination. Just remember the 90’s.) But during that time Dixon was at USC doing exactly what he has been doing at Pitt. Then Pitt manages to hire him away as their head coach here. The fanbase would be ecstatic! Well, guess what. We already have him!

Comment by JCE 04.03.13 @ 9:11 am

@paul shannon. I beg to differ. Seems to me, there are always 2 or 3 posters that come on and chastise the whole board for giving their opinions.

Using phrases, like this oldie but goodie, “you people”, and “haters” etc. etc..

I especially get a kick out of “hater”.

What the hell does that mean?? It used to mean that someone actually hated something or someone.

People started using it a few years ago in politics I believe, and now it has been watered down to basically meaning, someone has a different opinion than their own.

Paul, I do keep a list, in my little red book, right in my breast pocket, but you, are not on it!!! LOL

Enjoy your day!!!

Comment by Dan 04.03.13 @ 9:20 am

@JCE, just a coincidence. Not referring to you. Didn’t even see your post. LOL

Comment by Dan 04.03.13 @ 9:26 am

Pitt Fan in Atlanta, I guess the sky isn’t really falling. But, after Steve Adams’ comment, “Why do you guys keep asking me that? I’m coming back next year.” I really believed him.

Comment by Justinian 04.03.13 @ 9:28 am

Justinian, Adams meant he was coming back when he said it. But then he went home and his mind changed aka his family pushed him to make the right choice and take the guaranteed money.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.03.13 @ 9:36 am

JCE – My point is underachieving is the norm and that falls under the CEO of the Athletic Dept. That CEO is Steve Pederson. He is not a good AD. Just ask Nebraska. As far as Chryst it is definitely early you are correct. But I saw the program regress and I never saw passion, fire, heart on the field. I also saw him make bush league moves before halftime that lost us games. It was his rookie season and even though I think he is better served as a OC Lifer that is just my opinion. Dixon and Howland turned us into a solid program, one that competed and won Big East tourneys, etc. We even went pretty far in the tourney a few years. But again, I see us regressing. Look at the last 2-4 years and especially the post season. I don’t know where the answers are I’m just frustrated that Pederson has his position while constantly underachieving.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.03.13 @ 9:37 am

Big East going out with a bang with 5 of the 8 teams participating in next week’s Final 4s.

All have D1 FB programs (ND is independent)

Comment by wbb 04.03.13 @ 9:38 am

This wouldn’t be much of an issue – in fact we would be rejoicing… a Pitt player off to the NBA – if Dixon could recruit. But he can’t… so we’re left w/ the likes of Lamar Patterson. Too slow… can’t shoot… mediocre defender.

Dixon needs to fire someone from his staff and get a recruiter. Then again… he has a 10 year contract – he probably knows Pitt will never be able to buy him out – so he’s basically set for life.

It’s us fans who will suffer. Oh well…

Comment by John Ramella 04.03.13 @ 9:40 am

My only regret about Adams is that we got to see very little of his great potential realized. His game will be unrecognizable in a few years, and it won’t look anything like this past lone year at Pitt.

Excited about Young and Newkirk by all accounts polished freshmen who should work into rotation early. Concerned about front court and lack of depth. Dixon needs to find a 6 yr sr or JUCO to fill out the front court. Any good candidates come to mind?

Comment by Ghost of Hornman 04.03.13 @ 9:43 am

In 2009, Pitt was a total of 3 points shy of going to a Final 4 and a BCS bowl.

Oh yea, the women’s BB team also made it to the Sweet 16.

Comment by wbb 04.03.13 @ 9:44 am

Dan — no offense taken. But I think you would have to agree that there is definitely a “you people” who “hate” Steve Pederson!

Comment by JCE 04.03.13 @ 9:45 am

A little transfer/JUCO success story from the very distant past. While at UPJ for my first two years there was a great shooting guard at UPJ. He transferred to main campus the same year as I. He became Pitt’s leading shooter his last two years at main campus. JUCO surprises do happen sometimes where you least expect it.

Comment by Frank MD 04.03.13 @ 9:52 am

Lets not be hard on SA. He is doing what he has to. And while timing is everything, he doesnt have the luxury of over analyzing the when, where & how. TZ reminded me of how lay people can’t judge talent with only Greentree as a point of reference! So it is what it is. We are told there is a waiting list of 11k, I will still renew. what about a lineup of (1) JR (2) DJ (3) LP (4) JJ (5) Zanna). I wonder what would happen if you slide JJ to the 3 start Young at the 4 and have Lamar, Cam, Newkirk & Aaron (JUCO transfer?) off the bench? Yes we are (very) thin in the front court and largely inexperienced in the backcourt. But these are the pieces we are working with. JR, DJ & JJ picked up enough experience that they should be able to bring ppg’s. Let 44 face the basket have some FGA’s & get after it! Same with DJ (trusting he is working on his handle). Be honest, you cant wait to see what happens to SA in the NBA. Will he have the touch of Dirk and continue to redefine the stretch 4 or will he never become fluent with the intricate language of the sport? Heck, I figured if Duke & UCLA wanted TZ we had ourselves a wing (when I saw him in Greentree…). Either way, glad I went to the games I did this year! h2p

Comment by ptbreezeb 04.03.13 @ 9:57 am

But this is what college basketball has become. Unless the NBA changes its entry rules (fat chance), any potential 4-star recruit will be considered “one and done.” This is at least true for the 5 position.

Comment by Lou 04.03.13 @ 9:57 am

Ghost of Hornmam, Dokish who is pretty up on all things recruiting said there aren’t really any studs out there but they will grab a couple. I don’t think Ontario Lett was a big JuCo prospect but he did pretty well.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.03.13 @ 9:58 am

WBB, Coulda Shoulda but it didn’t happen. BCS Bowl is far off the radar and should we talk about Agnes? 25+ Straight losses in the Big East. Did you seriously go there? Regress.

Comment by Upittbaseball 04.03.13 @ 9:58 am

Wardapalooza, I realize Adams meant it at the time. None the less, I’m still very dissapointed. I liked him and I wanted to see him develop his game at Pitt. Too bad they let go back to New Zealand before the NBA draft.

I just saw that Rutgers fired Mike Rice. We all knew that was coming.

Comment by Justinian 04.03.13 @ 10:00 am

dan ,thanks ,i really like toread this,but sometimes the tone gets scary? we are in way better shape than most think.i do not post half the info that i acess to because people want to name sources,do think shell really wanted to trans?steve adams got agnes b. pregnant so both had to leave,they wanted an 8 ft child

Comment by paul shannon 04.03.13 @ 10:05 am

Lou, It won’t happen becuase the NBA isn’t the NFL. The NFL respects and appreciates what they have in Division I college football, a free minor league system. They realize that it is in their best interest to take abvantage of the player development that NCAA football provedes them.

Comment by Justinian 04.03.13 @ 10:08 am

The hysteria is too funny and predictable. The kid has a chance for a pay day. Good for him. And while it may be a tough season next year, Pitt will survive.

Comment by Velvil 04.03.13 @ 10:14 am

@JCE, yes, that’s why I quickly came on. Your post is a time where that actually works. Your use was defining the group that hates Pederson, a group that I would be in, and I doubt anyone would have any qualms about being labled in that group.

Also, I never see you bashing people in general, that’s why I wanted to say that to you immediately.

I was referring to a few who come on and defend Pitt no matter what. You can’t even give an opinion on anything without them challenging you and your allegiance to Pitt for your opinion on different subjects. “If you question Pitt, you hate Pitt”.

No problems!!

Comment by Dan 04.03.13 @ 10:14 am

@JCE, funny, I like Chryst and Dixon (allthough I hope he does think about tinkering with his offense and his assistant coaches).

My beef with Pederson is with Pitt script, and a lack of a plan for a 40K or so on campus stadium.

The Pete is great, no problem there. Permanently being in a Pro stadium??? Hasn’t worked anywhere.
Should have had something else up his sleeve for the long run.

Also, I cringe when I see him getting credit for moving us to the ACC.

My 4 year old niece would have known to say yes to that offer when it came.

Comment by Dan 04.03.13 @ 10:19 am

The problem isn’t one and done players. Pitt doesn’t typically get those types of players. Adams was an exception. The problem is recruiting the four star types which Pitt doesn’t get either. The team has been littered with three star players for several years now. Nothing against three star players but you need to sprinkle in some really good players into the mix to have teams that can go deep in the tournament. Pitt doesn’t have one player on the roster who would start for one of the major programs. We have a team full of solid role players.

Comment by Floyd 04.03.13 @ 10:21 am

Adams was totally misused by Dixon. Averaging only 23 minutes per game and every point he scored in his brief time on the court he had to manufacture being the 5th option. Every rebound was him fighting off 2 players since the other team ignored boxing off Zanna.
Woodall, arguably the worst player on the team played by 32 per minutes per took the most shots but only average 11.8 pts only 4 points more than Adams playing 10 minutes more and toaking 100 more shots. (consider if Dixon was a good coach he would of sat Woodall out the entire 2nd half in the W.S. game/10 less points just on turnovers and who knows how many points given to W.S. on his numerous shots that led to ast breaks/6’9″ center playing Adams could not guard him but Pitt kept shooting from the pro 3 point line further Adams would of fouled out his man who ended up leading the team in scoring. Another coach would have beat W.S. and another coach would have used his best player.)
Money yes but Adams and his handlers are no fools under Dixon Adams would not be the focal point of the offense. Further any who still think Adams offensive skills are raw compared to other big men check out video’s of Addidas summer camap and Prep game against Noels that were played unDixon style more NBA style.
If I was Young I would attempt to get a release. Like Taylor Dixon will make him play center, Zanna cannot do it, and all the work he has put into imrpving his ball handling and outside shooting will be wasted by Dixon. He will not play 2 forwards or adapt system to personnel that is why we may have seen our last NCAA.
Without a long basketball tradition like Syracuse, Conneticut, etc., we cannot afford 2 non tournament years out of 3 the program will collapse. Dixon has proven he cannot recruit and part of it is because skilled players do not want to play for him.
Regardless of the coast after next years 12 and 19 season he needs to be released.

Comment by pittisit 04.03.13 @ 10:23 am

Rutgers fires Mike Rice

Comment by alcofan 04.03.13 @ 10:26 am

saw this last night cant find it today.
it was late when i found it did not write it down

shai mckenzie said this not the exact words
but you will get the point at first he thought it
would be good with shell leaveing he would be the main back if he came here.

but then he thought abought it and he said if shellis leaveing then something is wrong at pitt
it makes him worry he does not like what is going on he said something like that like i said i did not write it down.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.03.13 @ 10:34 am

pittisit, you don’t like Dixon and you will find any way to critize him. Including my personal favorite, when you complained about the minutes Adams got in a game that you didn’t watch so you didn’t even know that Adams was in foul trouble. You also want the top recruit to decommit from Pitt. You say he should decommit because he’s a skilled guy, but then you say Dixon can’t recruit skilled guys? So which one is it. I also like how Pitt has already missed the tournament in your mind before you have any idea how the team will look. It’s also funny that you mention that any other coach would have beat Wichita St., because Wichita St. still hasn’t lost in the tournament and is in the Final 4. You really should save yourself the trouble and give up on being a “fan” of Pitt basketball.

Comment by Wardapalooza 04.03.13 @ 10:43 am

Pittisit is insane! Dixon is the only thing. Again, I repeat DIXON IS ONLY THING GOOD ABOUT PITT athletics right now.

Chryst couldn’t even hold on to a 5 star local legacy with family ties to Pittsburgh. He must be developing real close relationships with all the local coaches and talent now? What a joke.

It all started with getting rid of Wannstadt without a real planned replacement.

Keep talking Pittisit. Maybe we can get Dixon to take the job at Rutgers, and we get Rice.

Give me a name of a coach we can get better than Dixon?

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 04.03.13 @ 10:57 am

dixon is here and will be for 10 years so stop with dixon is bad becuse of this or that.

what we need to is change what we can we need
new asst coachs we need some who can recruit

we need more and better players.

but dixon is here we need to live with that.

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.03.13 @ 11:08 am

Frankcan
100% correct. Pitt and Dixon will be married for a long time. Dixon needs to hire some talented assistant coaches who can recruit better talent. With better talent, his system can be successful.

Comment by Floyd 04.03.13 @ 11:13 am

The Mike Rice video is disturbing. Clearly the guy has “issues”. Hard to believe that there were never any warning signs, those actions reveal deep character flaws. Would love to hear Dixon’s true thoughts on him. Also, wonder if any of that nonsense was going on at Bobby Mo?

If I am Craig Coleman, AD at Robert Morris, I am praying that there aren’t any videos lying around of Rice’s practices at Bobby Mo….Maybe he should call G. Gordon Liddy to help get rid of them, that’s a reference for all you “old guys”.

Comment by boubacar aw 04.03.13 @ 11:13 am

@FRANKCAN

Agreed.

Comment by Swinging Gate 04.03.13 @ 11:13 am

But how do we do that .
how do we get dixon to bring back slice barry
rohrssen and his NY pipe line to players
or some outher good recruiter.
you cant just walk up to him and say hire better
asst.
and while that is what could be changed there is
no way to make it happen and that is the problem

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.03.13 @ 11:36 am

info for you brothers.
larod stephens howling is talking with the
steelers today.
maybe we will have a ex panther on the steelers

Comment by FRANKCAN 04.03.13 @ 11:47 am

Guess we only want our players to become lottery picks after they finished their 5th year.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 04.03.13 @ 11:52 am

Agree with you, Justinian, I was just lamenting the situation. It’s a real catch-22 for Pitt: we all say they need some better-caliber players; we get a better caliber player in Adams, and he leaves for the NBA after one season.

Hard to recruit and develop a team around those parameters.

Comment by Lou 04.03.13 @ 12:00 pm

Everything I read about Adams before he got to Pitt was that he was a high propability one and done player. I am not the least bit surprised by this move. Good for him. He has a chance to help himself and his family now, and he is taking it. He is one freak injury away from losing a big pay day. Maybe that Lville players injury spooked him a bit. I wish him well. Defensively he will be very difficult to replace, offensively, not so much.

Comment by HbgFrank 04.03.13 @ 12:40 pm

So, we all are frustrated and concerned about the past 2 days (and 3-4 years really).

Some of you guys have short/selective memories and little to no patience:

This is Syracuse’s first Final Four since 2003.

This is Syracuse’s second Elite Eight since 2003.

Before these two in a row, Louisville hadn’t been to a Final Four since 2005.

Louisville has been bounced from the tourney in the first round 3 times since Dixon took over.

Duke’s had 1 Final Four since 2004 (granted they won it all).

Duke has 3 Elite Eights since 2001 (Translated, Duke failed to make the Elite Eight 10 times in the past 13 years)

Duke got bounced in the first round last year.

THIS IS MICHIGAN’S FIRST SWEET 16 – FINAL FOUR SINCE 1994.

THIS IS MICHIGAN’S 4th TOURNEY APPEARANCE IN THE LAST 15 YEARS.

Wichita State has 6 tourney appearances since 1980. 4 first round bounces, 1 Final Four.

Do we want more? Surely. Who doesn’t? Are we all frustrated? Good reason to be. With Dixon’s crappy recruiting, awful system, I’m not sure I’d trade our past 10 years for any of those other past 10 years (Duke’s NC notwithstanding). How about a little perspective/reality mixed in once in a while?

Comment by CNorwoodAZ 04.03.13 @ 12:57 pm

Unless Dixon pulls a 6’10” rabbit out of a hat, the program is in trouble.

This means not making the tournament 2 out of 3 years and a very rough start in a new league, which will hurt recruiting.

None of us with any brains ever thought Pitt should go after one-and-dones, and I actually didn’t realize Adams was one. One-and-dones, besides the Kentucky versions (Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist) are generally just not worth the trouble. (The only time it could be is if the kid is so good that he can jump into a starring role right away…)

Dixon must have had a very good idea that Adams was short term. Being familiar with the family situation must have had this predictable.

Which shows bad judgement, because this just prevented him from recruiting and developing other big men.

It only takes a few bad choices to torpedo a program. I thought Dixon has already used up his allotment on guards, but now we’ve added Birch and Adams to the list.

And I was already checking into where Greensboro was in preparation for the ACC tournament next year. Scrap those plans……

Comment by hugh green 04.03.13 @ 1:24 pm

@CNorwoodAZ

I agree with you 1000%.

I think many Pitt fans take the basketball program’s success for granted. I’d be lying if I were to say that I wasn’t slightly disappointed in Pitt’s lack of postseason success. But I think it’s important to remember how far this program has come in the last decade. I grew up during the Jason Maile/Jaime Peterson era when I would never have even dreamed of Pitt making the Tourney, let alone the Sweet 16/Elite 8.

I still think this program’s best days are still ahead of it.

Comment by Swinging Gate 04.03.13 @ 1:32 pm

All of you that are saying “the sky is falling” & we are doomed couldn’t be more wrong.

Adams is a loss but the kid had a chance to help his family and decided to take the big payday and that will hurt the team. agreed

Trey Ziegler … this isn’t a loss at all. I’m sure many of our current players can drive into the lane out of control and turn the ball over anytime that type of play is needed.

Shell, we had him last year and how did that turn out? Reports are that he’s a cancer and ridding yourself of cancer never hurt anyone.

Things happen and we have good people in the coaching positions. They will right the ship and this time next year all of this will be forgotten.

Comment by Tony In Harrisburg 04.03.13 @ 2:25 pm

Based on what I have heard, Adams is a late 1st round at best, probable second round.
That means his money drops big time. It also means the CBA doesn’t protect him long.
I have also heard and read that NBA GM’s think he is making a mistake. I obviously am not an NBA GM, but I have to wonder how much better he will get by not playing and not practicing?
He is going to make money this is true, but nowhere near as much as to make this decision a no brainer.
He is far behind where Chris Taft was and nowhere near as basketball experienced.
Who knows? Not this humble author.

Comment by SFPitt 04.03.13 @ 2:59 pm

We can return to the Ralph Willard Paul Evans years and everyone will be happy!!!!

Seriously though, Adams was projected to be a 1st round pick BEFORE he came to Pitt. Now he’s still projected to be a late 1st round pick. What did folks want Jamie to do? Stand in front of the door and hold Adams hostage? He is a grown man and has to do what is best for himself and his family.

Comment by Native Washingtonian 04.03.13 @ 5:45 pm

The Paul Evans years weren’t all bad. In fact those two teams in the late 80’s were better than any of the Howland/Dixon teams.

I love how ppl use Ralph Willard constantly to boost Dixon. As I posted on here before, Willard wasn’t scheduling 12 rent-a-wins to make his record appear great. If those rent-a-wins excite ppl and float your boat. So be it.

From what I see, lots of season ticket holders are no shows for the non-con. Like at least 20-25% of them.

People are starting to see thru the Illusion.

24-9 sounds impressive, but it was really 12-9 and 4-8 against the Top 50.

Also this notion of comparing us to L-Ville, Kentucky, UNC and others who lose one & dones is pretty much nonsensical. Those schools routinely recruit 3 to 4 highly rated (4 &5 star) players EVERY Year. Pitt meanwhile has almost entire recruiting classes that are wiped out by transfers/leavings/whatever and players who just aren’t very good. Whereas those elite programs just reload because they can recruit great, Pitt must scramble just to find some recruits to fill out the class. Comparing Pitt to those programs and their one & dones is ludicrous.

And while the apologists will say, losing Zeigler is no big deal, it is. He was in the system for a year and surely would have been better next year and showed to some extent when he got 20 minutes of playing time he could score as he scored 18 points and led the team in scoring one game in mid Jan and then had 13 points in a game the next week.

At the least he would have provided some depth and experience off the bench and gave you some length at 6’5″ at the 2 Guard.

At the most he could have developed into the starter at 2 guard and perhaps avg’d 10-15 ppg.

And I have a feeling next year’s bball team is really going to struggle to score points. Especially in Dixon halfcourt snailball.

Heck Zeigler might have been next year’s leading scorer.

Comment by EMel 04.04.13 @ 12:49 am

Wardapalooza you are totally wrong on the minutes reason for Adams. He never foulded out of a game and rarely had more than 2 fouls a game after December.
Yes I do not think Dixon is a good floor coach.
Villanova, why guard the ball on the take out rather than using 5 players to defend 4 (double team Reyonlds.
Butler tie with one secons. At least call time out and tell players not to reach in on any missed shot if you are not going to take them off foul line.

Read NBA scouts reports on Adams they agree with me “he only plaayed 23 minutes per game that hurt his development of offensivive game>”
Of course I would rather have the ball in Woodall’s hands.
Like Dotisch replies to blog’s saying Adams did not live up to expectations, “you do not know anything about basketball.”

Comment by pittisit 04.04.13 @ 6:54 pm

Worst move was not calling TO when no right hand Jer Dixon is trapped on his right sideline by 2 Nova defenders with Pitt up by 2 and possession with 3-4 mins to the final four. There was no doubt in my mind Pitt is about to put Nova away. Instead Nova steals the ball and Dixon fouls, 3 point play. That game never should have come down to the Reynolds play. Absolute shit coaching non move. Cost us final four.

Comment by Old School Panther 04.04.13 @ 8:10 pm