March 13, 2013

I’ve tried to ignore it since midseason, because it is rather silly. Still, the storyline is getting a little more play so I guess it’s time to write a bit about the idea that Coach Jamie Dixon would take the USC job.

Is it possible?

Well, sure, most things are possible. But it isn’t very probable.

Last week. Last week — mind you — Jeff Goodman at CBS Sports wrote about USC talking to Syracuse’s coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins. In writing up the potential of Hopkins, Goodman noted who the guy USC AD Pat Haden had at the top of his list.

The hip pick is Pittsburgh’s Jamie Dixon returning to the West Coast (that’s where he’s from). The 47-year-old Dixon is set to go to his ninth NCAA tournament in 10 seasons since taking over for Howland. It could happen, but Dixon has had other opportunities to leave — including one before Kevin O’Neill took the USC job three years ago — and has spurned them all. The USC program is in a better place now, and Pittsburgh is headed into a stacked ACC, so it makes more sense for him to head west now than it did a few years back. However, the question becomes his buyout and whether he’d actually pull the trigger when the time comes to make a decision.

Dixon, from what I’m told, sits atop Haden’s list.

The themes are all hit. Heading to a new conference. The ACC is stacked. He’s from the west coast. USC isn’t quite the dumpster fire it was three years ago. The one thing it doesn’t try to claim: that Dixon wants to take the USC job.

On the flip side, it is not like the Big East was a small-time basketball conference with little competition. If anything with Pitt, Syracuse and ND heading to the ACC it is about the same. Sub out UConn for Duke. UNC for Georgetown. Miami for Marquette… You get the picture. While USC isn’t as bad as it was, it still isn’t a good job with a football fanbase. Yes, he’s from the West Coast, but he’s now lived in Pittsburgh for 14 years and has turned down opportunities going back to 2006 to go west.

The piece as it relates to Dixon really only notes that USC wants Dixon. Again, not a surprise just more confirmation.

But Monday, The Big Lead tweeted out the rumor, with a little extra.

Apparently he got an earful from Pitt fans telling him it was crap so he put out a full post.

At this juncture, I’m hearing Dixon is the primary target of the search firm advising USC AD Pat Haden on the hire. Although it hasn’t been confirmed anywhere (I tried the USC athletic department, no dice), Korn/Ferry is supposedly working with Haden on the hire, and leading the charge is Jed Hughes.

If the name sounds familiar, it’s because Hughes recently did the Jets’ GM search, and he’s a former NFL assistant coach for, among other teams, the Pittsburgh Steelers. Hughes lives in Pittsburgh, and apparently knows Dixon well. The word on the street is that Dixon wants to get back to the West Coast, and even Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News speculated that there’s some trepidation on Dixon’s part about joining the loaded ACC next year.

It’s a bit of connecting dots, and I’ve yet to read anyone other than the Big Lead say Dixon wants to go back west.

As for the Mike DeCourcy piece he cites, that was written in September 2011 — right after news broke that Pitt was heading to the ACC. So, for starters he’s citing a piece that is 18 months, and a full coaching carousel cycle old. To say nothing of the fact that the DeCourcy piece was part of a string of “sky is falling” pieces from basketball writers on expansiopocolypse when the Big East got hit.

As I said back then, it was a reactionary piece. It wasn’t well thought out or researched. Purely hypothetical. And now it is being used as support 18 months later to say that Dixon wants to take the USC job.

Now keep in mind, nearly three years ago the Big Lead pushed that Jamie Dixon was going to take the Oregon job. Dixon will listen to offers. He always listens. I have no problem with that.

He’ll probably get a raise and extension. Ray Fittipaldo of the P-G has hinted this season that Dixon has not liked requirements that he play a certain number of home games in the non-con to ensure profitability at the Pete. That, however, has hindered his efforts to schedule better opponents. Perhaps that gets revisited. I have no problem with that. That’s the way the game is played.

I also look forward to Mark Madden’s big scoop from his inside sources next week on how Dixon is heading to USC.

Not going to post much on this because I don’t think Dixon is going anywhere. But I really doubt Dixon is thinking of leaving Pitt because the ACC is stacked..if anything I think he would stay for that reason.

Comment by milobloom 03.13.13 @ 8:19 am

the argument that Pitt must play a certain amount of home non-con games in lieu of away games doesn’t make sense on a few levels.

If Dixon somehow does decide to leave, then you will know his real feelings about the move to the ACC. Boeheim has very openly opposed it, and allegedly Pitino is not a big fan also and would have preferred to stay in BE

Comment by wbb 03.13.13 @ 8:22 am

I was just on USC’s campus last month. The improvements over the last 20 years are tremendous – new basketball arena, new dorms, new apartments, Stephen Spielburg building, George Lucas building, remodeled LA Coliseum for football, etc. And the Endeavour space shuttle is next door in the Science Center. It may be tempting for Jaime this time.

Comment by rayhpgh 03.13.13 @ 8:23 am

How is USC in a better place now than 3 years ago? I vehemently dispute that claim.

Comment by Omar 03.13.13 @ 8:25 am

Madden “inside” sources?!
Would you trust anyone who would be close to Madden?
Inherently unreliable.

Comment by SFPitt 03.13.13 @ 8:26 am

I am referring to the basketball program.

Comment by Omar 03.13.13 @ 8:26 am

If it takes money to keep Jamie, pay it. To get a replacement will cost as much anyway like maybe Miller.

Comment by Frank MD 03.13.13 @ 8:29 am

I’m with milobloom on this one.

What you’ve done by adding Pitt, ND, Cuse, and the Ville is put a good bit of the big east mentality to conflict with that of the ACC. The ACC will change because of the move, whether it is for better or for worse has yet to be seen. We will all miss the rivalries, but with Calhoun gone, UCONN isn’t the same, nor will it be outside of a major basketball conference. The catholic 7 have the control that they want, making up for their ‘bad’ decision over 20 years ago to let football into the big east. I guess what i am trying to say is, the big east was wonderful, but the big east is dead. We’ll mourn, but eventually we’ll get over it and realize that we’ve landed right where we should be.

I hope Dixon will be in Pittsburgh forever, he’s loved here by the greater community, and the school.

Comment by Benzene 03.13.13 @ 8:29 am

For BE basketball I think everyone agrees they would prefer to keep the Big East BB as it was..but’s it gone after Saturday night and the closet thing to it will be ACC Basketball. Boeheim and Pitino might be against it but they surely don’t want to be UConn or Cinn right now.
If Dixon leaves then you’ll see me join the Peterson haters…He’s worth whatever he needs to stay.

Not sure if any else posted this article..great recap of memories of the Big East Tourney. I can’t go this year but went many years in the past and it’s hard to describe how great it is until you experience it. Hard to believe it will no longer be.

link to espn.go.com

Comment by milobloom 03.13.13 @ 8:31 am

wbb, in interviews, Dixon has said that he has to schedule a certain number of home games for financial considerations. A sell out, because season ticket holders are forced to buy the tickets, against a cheap rent a win makes money while going on the road doesn’t.

And the whole not happy with the ACC seems like a stupid point at this time. In the DeCourcy article from 2011, he uses a quote from Dixon 18 months before that when he said he wasn’t thrilled about going to the Big 10, when those rumors were around. So basically the entire evidence that Dixon want’s to leave is an article that uses a quote from over 3 years ago. Also, that DeCourcy article says things like how Pitt relies on players from NJ and NYC. Pitt has been moving away from that recruiting model for a while now. Look at the big freshman coming in next year he is from ACC country and said he probably wouldn’t be going to Pitt if they weren’t in the ACC. Basically a lot has changed since then, I’m pretty sure Dixon is really happy being in the ACC instead of the American 12 or whatever it is going to be.

By the way, the USC basketball job is a step down from Pitt. Let’s get that straight. They are in a lesser conference and aren’t even the top program in their area.

If Dixon happens to leave, then it would suck. But there will be candidates lining up the door for the job because Pitt basketball coach is a pretty damn good job to have.

Comment by Wardapalooza 03.13.13 @ 8:48 am

One reason for Dixon to go, besides money, is that Southern California is far deeper in talent than western PA. He’d have the talent base he doesn’t have at Pitt. A reason he won’t go – he will not want to go head to head against Howland for recruits or in games. He seemed pained by playing UCLA in the tournament a few years ago. And despite Bill Walton’s antics and efforts, Howland seems secure.

I’m hoping he stays but as Chas says, all things are possible.

Comment by Velvil 03.13.13 @ 8:55 am

When it comes to home non-conf games, Dixon is starting to sound a lot like JoePa. Would anyone even notice 1 or 2 less home non-conf games against Directional State? I know it woudn’t cause anyone to give up their tickets

Comment by wbb 03.13.13 @ 8:55 am

I don’t understand the speculation about the “trepidation” in playing in a “stacked” ACC. Why wouldn’t any coach want to play in a challenging conference? With the “stackedness” comes the stage and limelight with competing against top teams every week…not to mention the advertising dollars. I’d think it would be any coaches’ dream.

Comment by Lou 03.13.13 @ 9:07 am

Seems to me competitors in sports or life, enjoy the challenge of something. That’s why they thrive and what they live for.

So a “stacked” ACC rings hollow to me. If I was in his position, that would be something I’d be pumped up for.

Also, BE and ACC went back and forth for the last 10 years on top conference, with more times than not, most people considering the BE the top conference.

So, intimidation of a “stacked” ACC would be a non-issue. Don’t think he’d have any fear what so ever.

Also, why go the West coast where college hoops gets buried for the rest of the country, hardly on tv at all, at least at decent times??

Who knows, maybe he will, but going up against a “stacked” ACC makes me laugh.

Comment by Dan 03.13.13 @ 9:07 am

@LOU, well said, much more succintly than I.

Comment by Dan 03.13.13 @ 9:07 am

my 2 biggest fears about the ACC:

1) refereeing – how physical can Pitt play?
2) recruiting – will the NYC/NJ/Phila be as interested in playing in the ACC?

Comment by wbb 03.13.13 @ 9:13 am

wbb, it’s not that people would notice it’s for all the added revenue a game brings with ticket sales and all the other stuff. It is the same reason why the NFL has preaseason games. Just a way to make some more money.

Basically the trepidation thing is that Dixon said he didn’t want to go to the Big 10, so that means he doesn’t want to go to the ACC either. It’s really a lazy assumption to make. Moving to the Big 10 would have made recruiting a lot harder for Dixon. I’m not sure where he would have been able to get players from since all his ties are on the east coast(I guess this is a problem WVU basketball will be having). He certainly wouldn’t have been able to get a guy like James Robinson if Pitt was in the Big 10. But ACC country like DC, Virginia and Maryland is prime recruiting territory for Pitt.

Comment by Wardapalooza 03.13.13 @ 9:17 am

Playing in the ACC will be no more difficult
than playing in the BE. If you are a disbeliever
watch the ACC tournament this week. Pitt
will have to fail down their aggressive defense
as the ACC is not as physically oriented as the
BE. Pitt would be remiss to let Jamie
get away. He is the best. Please don’t
let the BB program turn into the FB
program’s coaching carousel!

Comment by JR 03.13.13 @ 9:18 am

wbb, I think you bring up a really good point with the Refereering… I still want to see those gritty games with two headlining guard attacking the rim.

Comment by Benzene 03.13.13 @ 9:24 am

I don’t think recruiting people to play in the ACC will be an issue. There’s a reason everyone rushes the court when they beat Duke. So, if you can’t be on their team, the next best (maybe even better) thing is to beat them. Ask Miami.

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.13.13 @ 9:39 am

I think that with Pitt in ACC next year, there will be some changes to Pitt’s style of play. Coming from the BE, the 4 position (power forward – Zanna) is a big and physical player. The BE was a very physical and at times, a deliberate style of offense. The ACC is an up and down the court fast break. In the ACC, it seems that the #4 is closer to a #3 type of player (smaller and quicker).

Comment by DobieGillis 03.13.13 @ 9:48 am

Wardapalooza, you don’t undestand my point. I had season tickets for the 1st 4 years at the Pete (until I had to move away)

And I didn’t know if we had a 18 or 21 home game schedule, and really didn’t give a damn. I know we were going to play 8 or 9 BE games, but could care less if we played 8 or 10 preseason games. I just hoped that we had maybe 3 or 4 attractive non-conference games.

The total amount of home non-cong games doesn’t matter

Comment by wbb 03.13.13 @ 10:03 am

Dixon isn’t going anywhwere,and those that throw this garbage around about once a month don’t have any real insight,it is just nothing better to talk about.Since we insist on playing at home all the time we don’t get to play anybody in the non-con.We try to make a trip to the Garden every fall but otherwise get used to series of renta patsies because that is who we are going to play.My major concern with the change is that Duke and North Carolina are such huge attractions that I am afraid they will try to force us to play them in the Consul to make more money.I am a season ticket holder and don’t ever want to see that happen.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 10:32 am

DobieGillis,I don’t look for Dixon to change his style of play but do think we will face some adjustments due to officiating.The flop is a practice and strategy not often seen in the Big East but common in the ACC.I think our style of play will be equally effective and point to the fact that last time we played Duke they were a heavy favorite and we won.I would love to play NC this year because we would probably destroy them inside and I think we could hold our own with the Dookies too.They need to worry about us joining them as they have had it too easy too long,not vicaversa.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 10:46 am

wbb, I get what you are saying. I don’t pay attention to how much I spend per game with my season tickets either. My point is that there has be a lot of monetary benefit to holding the event from things like consession and merchandise sales that it makes home games very lucrative and hard to pass up.

Comment by Wardapalooza 03.13.13 @ 11:00 am

Cinci’s uniforms are hideous.

Comment by xfmrman 03.13.13 @ 11:11 am

Three games that can help Pitt’s RPI today:

(46)Cincinnati (-3) over (82)Providence
(288)Bethune-Cookman (+6.5) over (168)Norfolk State
(51)Villanova (-5) over (79)St. John’s

It may help if Rutgers won too. If they get their RPI <100, Pitt would have no losses outside the RPI 100.

Comment by xfmrman 03.13.13 @ 11:21 am

if dixon heads west, i can not see it for usc. the only players i remember from usc are harold minor(baby Jordan) and oj mayo. i think the mayo team is the only top 5 seeded usc team i can remember. i can see him taking arizona if miller comes east, or another program. what are the big time programs out west, now that i think about it there are not many

Comment by teezy 03.13.13 @ 11:25 am

Yeah, I can see the point that several of these talking heads in the know are spouting…Why would any coach want to coach in a league that is stacked with great teams when he could go coach in a team with less talented teams? Coach Dixon may one day leave, but is will not be becaue he is afraid of the competition in the ACC…That is just a ridiculous point to make. These coaches have gigantic egos and they relish the chance to compete against the best.

Comment by HbgFrank 03.13.13 @ 11:34 am

I think the only thing that causes Dixon to leave is major dinero. Not many folks would turn down double their salary.

Other than that, if Adams comes back, he has a top 10 team and a chance to do some real damage next year. The team will be absolutely loaded with experience and size, an awesome point guard, great defenders and some good shooters. An amazing schedule, exciting road trips, a chance to beat Carolina and Duke. Talk about marquis tv games and a chance to be part of something really special.

If he stays at Pitt, they probably change the name of the arena to the Dixon or the Jamie at some point.

The thing that cracks me up is there are a few regulars on this site that would like him to go west. Careful what you wish for.

Comment by gc 03.13.13 @ 12:18 pm

@spirit..there is no way any ACC Pitt home game will be played at Consol..giving up a home game for Pitt Duquesne is the only home game that would ever be played there.

I’m with others on this board..I would pay more per ticket if it meant one or two less home non conference games and better road nonconference game…there are way too many home games in Nov and Dec and it is almost impossible to make them all anyway.

Comment by milobloom 03.13.13 @ 12:51 pm

Not to.mention the ACC current top dog is Miami, not an unfamiliar opponent to Pitt

Comment by Ghost of Hornman 03.13.13 @ 12:54 pm

Did anyone happen to see ESPN’s top ten Big East Tournament moments yesterday? If you’re a Pitt fan I recommend not watching. Four of the top ten moments were Pitt losing on last secons shots.

Lots of bad memories. When are we going to win some games like that??? seems like we’re always on the wrong end… even in football. The curse of being a panther fan…uhhh

Comment by Coach Ditka 03.13.13 @ 12:59 pm

The pundits are all wrong. Jamie will coach at Auckland U. next year.

Comment by steve1 03.13.13 @ 1:05 pm

Coach, I didn’t see it but I’m going to take a stab at all four:
1) 3OT loss to ‘Nova when Vonteego scored like 40?
2) UConn double OT desperation bank shot in their first champ meeting?
3) Ben Gordon with 30 seconds left?
4) Kemba Walker?

Comment by JW 03.13.13 @ 1:06 pm

Cincy broke 60 and 40%FG shooting in beating Providence. For a minute there I thought no one would break either barrier at least until the quarterfinal round.

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.13.13 @ 1:09 pm

milo, I sure hope you are right but the people who make those calls just count the money.They don’t buy seats or give a hoot what we think.The proof of what I say is in our current non-con schedule.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 1:13 pm

The media are short-shrifting Pitt’s impressive Big East history. No wonder Jamie would consider leaving.

Comment by steve1 03.13.13 @ 1:14 pm

Yinz Catholics have a new Pope. Might it be Jamie?

Comment by steve1 03.13.13 @ 1:16 pm

Jamie to Duquesne…I have it from reliable sources…what exactly they are reliable to provide is something else entirely….

Comment by sfpitt 03.13.13 @ 1:17 pm

The media is New York based and is never going to give Pitt due credit next to UConn,Syracuse,and eastern coridor Gtown/Villanova types.To them we are like West Virginia is to us.Doesn’t matter though because when we win I enjoy when they look stupid.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 1:20 pm

Spirit, Old Vitale leads the pack. May he become the next Pope.

Comment by steve1 03.13.13 @ 1:22 pm

Did I just read someone post that Zanna was a big and physical player at the 4? Wow, that’s bizarre. Tall, maybe. Big and physical?

Pitt (and the Big East’s) days of physical play ended several years ago with the departures of players like Jeff Adrien, DeJuan Blair, Arinze Onuaku, Foye (physical even on the perimeter)…….

The only two almost-physical players I can even think of in the current BE are Gardner and Behanan. And maybe a couple of ND’s big guys bang a bit, but that’s it.

The reason scores are low in the BE isn’t because everybody’s muscling everybody; it’s because the teams aren’t that talented and the coaching is overly cautious.

You can’t play physical anymore with the refereeing the way it is anyhow. They’d stop the game every 5 minutes to review every ‘bow for “malicious intent”. Ridiculous.

That BE vs ACC stereotype stuff is old news. Let it go!

Comment by hugh green 03.13.13 @ 1:25 pm

hughgreen,Coaching caution and lack of talent is not the reason the scores are low.The Big East Conference is still a very tough and well coached group of teams that are more in tune with agressive D and rebounding than some other groups.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 1:40 pm

I don’t know enough to know why the scores are low, probably a combo of a lot of things don’t you think.

However, an announcer the other nite made a good comment.

“some of these coaches have figured out, that if you get to 70, you pretty much win. You can’t be using these kids like they are chess pieces.”.

When I heard that, I immediately recalled a week or two ago when the players were looking at Coach Dixon for the play to call, he yelled to them..

“just play basketball!”.

Comment by Dan 03.13.13 @ 1:58 pm

Jamie should do what is best forJamie and his family. Period.

I’m in Aussie land vacationing and all people who stop me ( because I’m wearing my Pitt hat) are excited about Steve Adsms and are cheering for Pitt. G’day Mates. H2P!

Comment by MariettaMike 03.13.13 @ 2:12 pm

Actually, I’m in Kiwi land this week — Auckland. Aussie land in two weeks. It’s Wednesday morning here and I’m still jet lagged.

Comment by MariettaMike 03.13.13 @ 2:15 pm

Tough game in the Garden right now. Both teams shooting over 50% even from behind the arc. Can’t watch it but following the stats.

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.13.13 @ 2:22 pm

@Spirit..Pitt makes more money with a game at the Pete then they would at Consol since they own the building…..6000 more seats to sell at the Consol but to sell them all they would have to price at a reasonable price and it wouldn’t make up for the extra money Pitt would have to pay to play there.plus they lose their cut of concessions parking..etc.

Comment by milobloom 03.13.13 @ 2:50 pm

You can watch the games here…just click on the link…not HD Streaming.

link to firstrow1.eu

As for Dixon….he’s already on record as saying he doesn’t want to play against Howland. They still talk every day on the phone.

Comment by Jackagain 03.13.13 @ 2:56 pm

milo,thanks for the reassurance as I get the feeling that for 50 cents they’d move the game to Cleveland.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 3:09 pm

Is Seton Hall getting hosed on the foul calls? Not showing up at the line but is it affecting play?

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.13.13 @ 3:18 pm

looks like our great AD has some work to do

link to online.wsj.com

Comment by wbb 03.13.13 @ 3:21 pm

Looks like we’ll be playing the Orange tomorrow.

Comment by Lou 03.13.13 @ 3:21 pm

If Jamie leaves for USC, I will buy everyone on this site a new watch! Can we let it go..please!

Pitt will need all our combined karma to win tomorrow. Why don’t we all get started!

Comment by Dan 72 03.13.13 @ 3:26 pm

The Orange can be had if we play D and hit the boards.I bet Woodall comes up big and leads us to a big win.Patterson needs to bring the A game as his passing and shooting skills could make a big difference against the zone.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 3:30 pm

Watching Seton Hall get beat in the Garden takes me back to the Ron Willard coached teams when he insisted in giving his son pt and sitting Jerry McCullough. The kid thought he was a coach then and without daddy and Rick Pitino’s connections he would be like Paul Evans, at some high school.

Comment by Jimbo 03.13.13 @ 3:31 pm

Wow. No one on Seton Hall’s bench played more than 8 min. Keita played 20 min for Cuse but no one else more than 3 min. Pitt’s depth should show tomorrow.

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.13.13 @ 3:37 pm

@wbb
Thanks for the link but I see a different picturewhen I look at the same stats.
I see the barren fruits of his labor.

Comment by SFPitt 03.13.13 @ 3:38 pm

Hey, we beat Temple. Now there’s a feather in his cap!!!

Comment by Dan 03.13.13 @ 4:01 pm

The Orange shot 56% and outboarded the Hall by 9.If we let them shoot 56% and get outboarded we will be headed home too.Pitt Dad you are right ,Boeheim hardly subbed at all,that should help us tomorrow.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 4:20 pm

Anyone have two tickets for tomorrow??

Comment by Gangsta 03.13.13 @ 4:23 pm

@spirit – much rather play Cuse than playing a Seton Hall team that won 2 to get to us. Southerland was on fire but played the whole 40 min. Hopefully he’s tired. Same with MCW.

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.13.13 @ 4:35 pm

@gangsta – if you’re in Manhattan, check the bars for Seton Hall or Providence fans. Best way to get tix right now.

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.13.13 @ 4:36 pm

Sutherland played and was the star against Seton Hall today. He did not play against Pitt earlier this year. So Pitt has its work cut out.

Comment by Frank MD 03.13.13 @ 4:42 pm

@Frank MD – agreed but Southerland played way above his season averages today, particularly minutes and FG%. He’s usually a 37% 3pt shooter and he was 6/9 today. He averages 27.8 min and he played 40 today. Not sure he can keep that up two days in a row. That being said, if we can contain him and MCW, we will be fine.

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.13.13 @ 4:46 pm

Also, Southerland scored only 3 pts in the second half.

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.13.13 @ 5:17 pm

A “Stacked” ACC.

lmao.

Like the BigEast hasn’t been “stacked” for the last 10 years.\

Actually having followed ACC hoops for over 20 years and then farther then that, but intensely since I moved into ACC country in 1992, the ACC is less stacked right now, in 2013 than it’s ever been. While UNC & Duke have been very good for a long time, only Miami this year is also a very very good team.

There was a time not long ago when besides UNC & Duke being Top 10, Wake Forest with Tim Duncan & Josh Howard and Randolph Childress after them were Top 10 along with Georgia Tech with John Sally, Mark Price, Kenny Anderson teams and Clemson had Top 20 teams as well in that time period. As well as Maryland and occassionally NC State.

That was when the ACC was “stacked”.

It will be again when Pitt, Cuse & L-Ville join.
Which is one of the major reasons the 3 of us were asked to join, along with TV markets.

Comment by EMel 03.13.13 @ 5:52 pm

agree with some above stmts.

IMO we matchup better against Cuse than we would have against SH.

Comment by EMel 03.13.13 @ 5:55 pm

Dixon will not leave not for SC he will be here for 10 more years and this is from a miller time
man.
why should he leave more money i dont think so.
he makes good money.
and SC will never be good in BB
if he went there he would be fired in 4 years no one wins in BB there.
if he stays here he has a job for 10 more years
and he knows he can win 20 games a year here at pitt.
so why risk it there .

Comment by FRANKCAN 03.13.13 @ 6:02 pm

looks like our great AD has some work to do

link to online.wsj.com
Comment by wbb 03.13.13 @ 3:21 pm

That shill John Harris must have missed this piece when he cherry picked his figures for that fluff piece on Stevie Cornhole.

SP has done such a wonderful job for football he has us BELOW(and in most cases WAY BELOW)such juggernaut programs as: (Pitt is valued at $60M)
Colorado
USF has had a D1 team for a decade- $100M
Syracuse $91 M
L-Ville $75 M
Washington State draws about 25-30K/game $73 M
Rutgers who they say is bankrupt $64 M
Duke ACC annual bottom feeder $62 M

Based on this info and on some of these revenue reports, Pitt is not releasing info, one has to assume Pitt football is not creating any profit at the last several years. Or they would have been forth coming with the information.

Cornhole needs to go, immediately if not sooner. :-)

Comment by EMel 03.13.13 @ 6:07 pm

FWIW I debunked John Harris’s trib piece on the previous thread, almost item for item.

That shill had to have been promised courtbox seats for 5 years to write that fluff pos trash he wrote in the trib.

Comment by EMel 03.13.13 @ 6:12 pm

@FRankCan

hey buddy where u been?

Hey anything thing can happen, Sam Clancy Jr. ended up at USC didn’t he ?

I believe they made the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 one of those years he was there. So whoever the coach was then …..they won.

Comment by EMel 03.13.13 @ 6:18 pm

EMel may be i should have said they dont win a lot
you know what i mean it is not a BB school in anybodys world.

Comment by FRANKCAN 03.13.13 @ 6:23 pm

Well it shares the same city as UCLA.

At one time in Pittsburgh, Duquesne had a far superior basketball program than PITT. So things in fact do change and can change. USC is committed since they just built their first on campus arena… in forever. So they actually have a nicer facility than UCLA’s remodeled Pauley Pavilion. And the PAC 12 is not daunting with any clearly superior programs.

Did a little research, Henry Bibby was the coach then and USC reached the Elite 8 with Sam Clancy Jr in the 2000-2001 season losing to Duke. After Clancy graduated the next year when he was 2nd team All-American, they slid until 2005 season when Tim Floyd became coach.

Floyd had 4 seasons at USC and had a winning record in each one. With one of those years, reaching the Sweet 16 before losing to another powerhouse, UNC. So when they lose at least they lose to notable teams.

So USC while supposedly not a BB school in the same time period of 2000 to present, has reached an Elite 8 and a Sweet 16. Pretty much the same as Pitt. And they did that with having to compete with UCLA right across town and Howland having them in 2 or 3 Final Fours.

They definitely have potential to be a power.

Comment by EMel 03.13.13 @ 6:44 pm

Rolled the dice by waiting till late in the game this year and glad I did. Boom! 100 level for less than face. $60. Will head out early to catch the first game. Hopefully Georgetown rolls because my semis and finals tix are from a Cincy alum.

I’ll scream my ass off because, as usual, it will be a heavy ‘Cuse crowd. HTP!

Comment by SilverPanther in NYC 03.13.13 @ 6:54 pm

That all said;

I don’t think Hayden will eventually pick Dixon anyway as his style of play is identical to that of Howlands’ and that style is wearing thin on the fans of UCLA. As they see it as somewhat boring, slow paced half-court basketball (ironic eh). But of course he will have Dixon on his list since he’s told he must have, since Jaime is a native southern Californian and Dixon names circulates all the time when jobs open since he’s done a good job at Pitt.

Of course USC bb fans aren’t quite as discriminating as UCLA fans in terms of drawing fine distinctions.
So they might just want to rack up the wins and skip on the style points for now.

As Hayden’s job is to produce a winner and sell season tickets to USC’s Galen Center.

Comment by EMel 03.13.13 @ 7:00 pm

I want to beleive this is a Twitterverse rumor.

At one time, Jamie Dixon vowed he’d never even schedule non-conf games against UCLA because he & Ben Howland were such good buddies. Is that vow dead?

Because if JD takes the USC job, not only would be play BH not once but TWICE EVERY YEAR, but they’d become mortal enemies by recruiting against each other as bitter cross-town rivals (with BH having every apparent advantage).

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 03.13.13 @ 7:02 pm

Reply to Comment by wbb: “2) recruiting – will the NYC/NJ/Phila be as interested in playing in the ACC?”

FWIW, Duke’s roster (and to a lesser extent, UNC’s too) usually has 1-2 guys from SEPA & NY/NJ. If anything (plus ‘Nova venturing on to a lesser league), joining the ACC might help Pitt keep some of those guys up north. We’ll see.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 03.13.13 @ 7:12 pm

That way Jamie could hire Howland as an assistant when UCLA dumps him.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 7:12 pm

lol spirit22

That would be quite ironic and quite funny !!!

Comment by EMel 03.13.13 @ 7:14 pm

Maybe Jamie could take Pederson with him if he goes to USC.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 7:14 pm

I got blown our of the water on my Pope Bracket. Oh well, I still have the Big East and the NCAA Tourney

Comment by Justinian 03.13.13 @ 7:22 pm

Justiinian,speaking of Popes, what happenned to Herb Pope who played for Seton Hall from Aliquippa.Did anything come of his big time potential?

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 7:29 pm

He got busted for pulling out a gun at a bar earlier this year.

Comment by SilverPanther in NYC 03.13.13 @ 7:31 pm

EMel, I was thinking the same thing. The LA fans haven’t seemed to have embraced Ben Howland’s style of Basketball. As notably commented on by Bill Walton. They like flash and dash, Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. Here in western PA, we like teams that win, period. Jameie Dixon isn’t going anywhere.

Comment by Justinian 03.13.13 @ 7:33 pm

EMel, didn’t USC get hit with sanctions tied to the brief winning period?

Also, I think the Oregon job is a better job than USC. You have all the Nike support with that job

Comment by Wardapalooza 03.13.13 @ 7:33 pm

I looked up his bio and he signed last month to play in the Ukrain.Best wishes to comrade Pope from your followers in WPA.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 7:34 pm

Spirit, Herb Pope is probably parking cars at Deblasio’s.

Comment by Justinian 03.13.13 @ 7:35 pm

There you go. I wasn’t smart enough to Google him. I guess playing in the Ukraine is better than not eating.

Comment by Justinian 03.13.13 @ 7:39 pm

I would trade Oregon our shoe contract,Steve Pederson and 2 seats to our next years non-con basketball games for one year use of their football team.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 7:43 pm

Pitt has made the tourney 10 out of 11 years, has 1 elite 8, and 5 sweet 16s. Additionally, Pitt has 3 regular season conference championships, 2 conference tourney championships, and 6 conference tournament finals since 2000. To say that USC accomplishments are “pretty much the same,” is insulting.

Comment by Omar 03.13.13 @ 7:50 pm

Dixon will not take the USC job. He will never play Howland on a regular basis. Howland will eat his lunch. He will eat his lunch if they meet in the NCAAs this year, just like in 2006. But, I would not at all be surprised if he looked seriously at a job in the soon to be Papal East. He has made his bones beating Georgetown, Providence, Syracuse and Seton Hall. Syracuse is the only one of those joining the ACC. He cannot beat Louisville or Notre Dame, teams that are also joining the ACC. Plus, he has to be wondering, apart from perhaps Wake Forest and Florida State (this year only) who the hell he could beat in the ACC. The ACC is, right now, top to bottom, a much better conference than the Big East.

So I would keep my eye on openings in the Big East, or on Rutgers. Perhaps Rutgers will fire Mike Rice this year, and will pay big New Jersey money for a replacement. The Big 10/12/14 plays a style a little more like the Big East than the ACC. And Dixon probably knows he can beat Nebraska, Penn State, perhaps Iowa and Northwestern. And Illinois now sucks, also.

I will hold off gnashing of teeth anguishing over the great loss his leaving Pitt may be until after our annual underachievement in the BE tournament, and the NCAA’s. The only terror in that for me is that Stevie the Pete would be in charge of finding his replacement. E.g., I hope Mike Haywood did not coach basketball. I really, really, really would like this to be the year Pitt wins one more game, instead of one less, than it should in the BE tourney and the NCAA’s. But my head tells me differently.

Dixon may leave as the all time winningest coach in the Big East. I will open a can of Stoney’s to celebrate. But little old Buzz Ridl, with a team of WPIAL first teamers (for the most part) still remains the coach that got Pitt the farthest in the modern era of college basketball. And could have been in the final four, but for a hose job in North Carolina. In other words, shove the f’n Big East records. NCAA basketball, unlike football, has a true playoff system. Advancing deep into that process, to the point where you have a chance at winning it, is the measure of success. Anything less is just that – less. We could not get there with DeJuan Blair and others.

Comment by PO'd Panther 03.13.13 @ 7:52 pm

Also, I forgot that Pitt earned 2 #1 seeds in that same time period.

Don’t let facts or relevant statistics get in the way of a good argument.

Comment by Omar 03.13.13 @ 7:52 pm

Justinian,Since it is unlikely Oregon would swallow such a deal maybe we can get Steve Pederson to start one of his brilliant searches to find Deblasios a new car parker.I’ll still throw in the tickets and maybe Sonny Vacaro can come up with a couple pair of slightly used Nikes to make the job even more attractive.

Comment by spiritofsection22 03.13.13 @ 7:53 pm

I actually find these media guys irritating (surprise). They act as if Dixon would jump at the chance to leave…like our program doesn’t compare to USC. Please! Anyway, if Jamie did leave, we’d survive, but it would be the saddest day in 6 years for me (no reference to Pitt in the 6 years).

Comment by panther94 03.13.13 @ 8:34 pm

dixon wont go any were he will be here for years
but if he does it is Miller Time.

Comment by FRANKCAN 03.13.13 @ 8:35 pm

I hope the Hoopies and their fans enjoyed their brief stay in Kansas City.

Comment by Scott 78 03.13.13 @ 8:36 pm

On another note, it looks like WVU is done for the year, losing to TT.

Comment by panther94 03.13.13 @ 8:43 pm

Sorry Scott, didn’t see your post. That was actually ‘on the same note.’

Comment by panther94 03.13.13 @ 8:44 pm

I’ve always said that the only way Dixon leaves is because he decides he can’t get to the next level here. That’s a real concern, but you don’t make that kind of decision off the cuff because you’re pissed about conference realignment. I’m not sure USC has the hoops cachet to lure a guy like Dixon – the scenario would have to be much more clear cut. Almost perfect.

Its a real concern – clearly there are places where the talent base is richer than it is for Pitt. But, never forget that the crucible that comes along with a high profile teams and talent is unforgiving. You want the KY job? Better get to the Final Four in a few years. I’m shocked that Howland has lasted as long as he has at UCLA; I have no explanation for it other than coller/saner heads prevailed. Leave this stuff to the boosters/alum and you’ve got a new coach every 2-3 years.

Also, you have to factor in the “commodity” factor: Dixon’s stock is high and will remain so unless he tanks a couple fo seasons. If Pitt would have choked this year, I’m guessing his market value would have taken a hit. As it stands, he looks like a genius. Some of it will come down to what Dixon sees in the future from a recruiting/talent perspective. As long as he has the means to compete at a high level, there’s no penalty for waiting for that “perfect gig”. Spend a few years in purgatory, however, and he’ll have to reconsider his position in a hurry.

In short: I don’t think USC is worth it unless his heart strings are tugging hard for home. It’s just not worth it. USC may not be in the toilet, but they are far from name-brand basketball at this point. A different Big East/American Pie job? Been there, done that. No need to re-establish yourself in the same market. Make some noise in the ACC? Now that might just be worth a street upgrade to “buy”. Roy Williams isn’t getting any younger :-)

Comment by thestumper 03.13.13 @ 8:49 pm

Feb 26, 2013 – “Pitt doesn’t have a team, they have a PROGRAM” -Jay Bilas

Dixon isn’t leaving!!! Everyone is right about the comparisons to USC, we are flat out on a different level! Better conference, better facility, better fan base and I would argue better recruiting since we have the NYC connection but also the ACC now! I will totally blame smiley for this one if it were to happen. But I think we have a better shot of falling in a sinkhole…..too early for that one? Dixon loves Pittsburgh and we love him. The people that call for his head every year are idiots! Look at what he has done for this PROGRAM as Bilas called us! Squash the orange and let’s go Pitt!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 03.13.13 @ 9:01 pm

A postcard from Herb Pope….

link to youtube.com

Comment by Jackagain 03.13.13 @ 9:21 pm

To your point, stumper, success breeds success. Jamie’s worked long and hard to build a program at Pitt-going to a lesser program (and I count USC as such) would be a huge step down. Unless he’s masochistic, or really enjoys rebuilding entire sports’ programs, I would think he wouldn’t leave unless it was an offer to set him up the remainder of his life.

Staying at Pitt, and in the ACC, he’s got a program. He can add or subtract single pieces based on his perceived needs-he doesn’t have to hope for a piecemeal re-build, hoping the right players come available. He also knows the routine (will soon know the teams) really well. There’s a lot to like.

Comment by Lou 03.13.13 @ 9:34 pm

Wbb, it would be interesting to correlate that chart with wins and losses.

Comment by gc 03.13.13 @ 9:49 pm

I love Dixon, but could care less if he leaves. As FrankCan says, Miller Time baby! John, Archie and Sean.

Comment by Howard 03.13.13 @ 9:57 pm

So, if Dixon leaves, it probably means we’re not willing to pay him enough to come close to another offer. So, why would Pedie now decide it’s time to pay up for Miller?

Comment by panther94 03.13.13 @ 10:22 pm

Any thoughts on that Howard?

Comment by panther94 03.13.13 @ 10:24 pm

Would it be Knight time?

Comment by panther94 03.13.13 @ 10:26 pm

I’m sure Miller would take a hometown discount given the opportunity to coach Pitt. Like Dixon but not too concerned over whether he stays or goes. Pitt should be able to attract a pretty good coach at this point. Agree with post above about his style probably not meshing with PAC 12 style basketball. I think both Dixon and Howland have styles that work better with workman like players. Interesting to see how the styles of Pitt and ND fare in the ACC.

Comment by Floyd 03.13.13 @ 11:06 pm

Attract a good coach based on what…what Dixon accomplished? What else?

Comment by panther94 03.13.13 @ 11:12 pm

Dixon inherited a pretty good program from Howland. I think he parlayed that into landing one of the top coaching jobs in all of basketball. Pitt is bigger than Dixon. The Pete is a great place to play and Pitt basketball has a rabid fan base and is headed into the best basketball conference. Pitt can definitely attract a good coach.

Comment by Floyd 03.13.13 @ 11:31 pm

Oh my goodness.
Bethune-Cookman (7-9 MEAC) beat Norfolk St. (16-0) in OT.

And Cinci won and Villanova won.

Any little bit to help Pitt’s seeding in the NCAAs.

Comment by xfmrman 03.14.13 @ 12:28 am

I’m so sick of these stupid rumors. Dixon would’ve left for USC, Arizona and Oregon by now if he wanted to leave Pitt

Comment by TonyC 03.14.13 @ 1:22 am

Panther94… Knight time would be awesome!

Just think… the Zoo could wear all black and the lights to everything but the floor could be off at all times. What you end up with is a (not so great for tv) amazing effect where the darkness is literally speaking to you. And the darkness wants Pitt to win.

Comment by Benzene 03.14.13 @ 1:39 am

Nice article from over a month ago in the PittNews about Dixon:
link to pittnews.com
Basically everything we have been saying.

I was looking at coaching salaries and they are all over the place. Dixon at 1.6 million, Miller at 2.6 million, Buzz Williams at almost 3 million and Mark Few at a ridiculously low 1 million.

It’s definitely Miller time if Dixon leaves. I’m sure could find the money to pay a Pitt man, plus a lot more revenue is coming in with the ACC.

But if not Miller, Knight time could work. At first I was going to say Knight graduated when I did so he’s too young to be head coach. But then I realized that my 2nd choice after Miller is Shaka Smart and he’s only in his mid 30s.

Comment by Wardapalooza 03.14.13 @ 6:58 am

the most daunting thing about USC is that they could have unlimited access to bootie if they tip over a couple of boosters w the “this is our once in a lifetime guy” rap. funny, classic football uniforms untouched. brand ID as good as any in ncaa. if they want a coach, money is just a thing. my point is that, while not a “blue blood” hoops program, they are an institution that can certainly make someone an offer they couldnt refuse. Their geographic location undoubtedly provides additional bootie in the back. Cash can make a lot of those obstacles (Howland, Conference, Buy-out )go away. They have a pretty charismatic AD who I could see laying down the rap flanked by a stable of Hollywood boosters. Thats the only reason why I give these rumors a second thought.

Comment by ptbreezeb 03.14.13 @ 7:50 am

@wardapalooza – I think Oliver Purnell at DePaul is at $4 million. I’m not going to do the math to see what that works out to per win.

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.14.13 @ 9:34 am

As mentioned by the Pitt fan from Dallas it is the coach not the program kids go to. Pitt has no natural recruiting area, neither does Kentucky, Syracuse, Conneticut. They come for the coach.
With the right replacement losing Dixon could bump Pitt over the hump. Actually Pittsburgh beats Lexington, Tuscon, Storrs, Syracuse, Louisville to live .
For God’s sake not Brandon Knight. High profile coach from the area who might take less money to return home.
Miller has shown he is a much better recruiter than Dixon and a better floor coach. If Pitt could get him I would donate to buy out Dixon not because he is not a good coach but he has hit his ceiling.
Finally to the Adams nay-sayers taht say he did not live up to his expectations. How do you explain going from 17w and 16l to 25w and 7losses.
Woodall, Moore, Zanna, and Patterson improved considerably.
Watching Adams hesitate at the lane rather than immediately taking the shot or driving to the hoop kills me. Dixon has emasculated him and Robinson. Defining their roles not expecting any offense.
Because of Adams personality and lack of playing experience if his coach is always making excuses for his offense he loses his confidence that showed when he humiliated the top college center at the summer addidas and Noels at Prep school.

You can see Adams and Robinson afraid to take over they are doing what the coaching staff wants-fit in.
This is Dixon’s major problem Birch knew it, Taylor suffered through it, and you can forgert any 5 star guards coming to play for Dixon.
Come home Sean.